Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,827 Words
  • 893 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rain - 2. Chapter 2

“He’s awake.”

A man’s voice echoed in the cavern of the deserted Boiler Building. Glass from the shattered windows, and fist sized bombs of concrete where the walls had been removed, lay scattered across the floors, thickened with rat shit. The municipality had erected steel girders in strategic positions to save the building from collapse.

“I’ve waited a long time for him to wake up. You are to bring him to me. If he doesn’t come of his own free will, then you will make it happen. No killing. No messages. Ask no questions. Bring him here.”

The man whispered, “I’ll bring him to you,’ his voice grew louder, ‘and be assured, he’ll be alive. Now, about payment. Half now and half at the back you said.”

Soiled fingers grabbed a brown paper packet resting on the floor, and handed it to him.

"Do not fail me.”

Without thanking him, the man turned and headed for the reinforced stairwell. The boiler room became silent as his footsteps echoed through the building.

A door slammed shut.

* * *

A door opened.

Closed gently.

A capped figure entered the room and stood silently, watching the still outline of Rain on the tubular bed; his long fingers, emaciated face, porcelain skin and unblinking eyes. Suddenly, the door to the room burst open, sandwiching the stranger in the dark space against the wall behind the door.

Colin entered and approached Rain with a smile. “I think it’s time for you to get some rest. These sleeping tablets should trigger in twenty minutes. I must say, your test results are better than I thought they would be. It’s actually a miracle that you’re alive…’

He stopped when he noticed the expression of absolute fear on Rain’s face. Rain blinked his eyes open and shut a couple of times and the doctor frowned. It was a signal of some sort. Rain’s gaze focused on the door behind him and instinctively Colin understood that something was wrong. Out the corner of his eye he saw the shadow behind the door.

“Damn! I forgot the water…” His voice was loud. He turned and left the room, leaving the door open behind him.

Once outside, he felt cool air blow over his hot body and turned in time to see Rain’s door close. He headed for the ward’s reception area and fumbled for the alarm beneath the counter. Finding it, he pressed the button with shaking hands.

The stranger stepped forward quickly, aware that he must act fast, and fractal seconds before he reached the bed, the alarm clanged through the building. It didn’t allow him the opportunity to grab Rain and whisk him away from the security of his bed. Within seconds a clamour of feet headed for the ward and Rain’s door flew open. Colin rushed in after the guards, guns in hand. Ready to shoot.

The window shattered as the stranger flew into it, catapulted through the air, and landed with a thud on the level below.

* * *

They immediately moved Rain to OBSERVATION LEVEL A where he’d be safe. Only authorised staff where allowed into this area. Colin stood at the bottom of the bed massaging his feet. The incident had traumatised his patient, and the likelihood that Rain could go back into a coma was high.

“That doesn’t happen – not in respectable institutions like Morningside. Who would want to harm you? You don’t have to answer that. We’ve placed a guard at your door. A temporary measure.”

He walked away and stopped at the door.

“I have a place in the Drakensberg. It’s a place I go to when the world is coming down on me. I’m busy writing a thesis for my doctorate. Want to come with me for a couple of months? You’ll be more than welcome.”

He waited a moment.

“Oh – ohkayee.”

He smiled.

* * *

Colin applied to the board to have Rain released into his care and they agreed to meet with him at a moment’s notice.

“I cannot allow Rain’s life to be placed in danger. Rain represents to this facility a remarkable case of coma and revival. Fifteen years is a long time. He needs to recuperate and I have long leave due to me. I have a ranch in the Drakensberg and I propose that he be placed there, under my care, for several months, in which time I will recuperate him.”

The room was square with an oval conference table. The group of doctors sipped their tea, dipped their biscuits, and listened without a grunt.

“A strange request.” Phillip Carstons said, ‘however, in light of the circumstances surrounding his coma and revival, this may be a good idea. You realise he will be your sole responsibility?”

“All the way,” he replied.

“How do you propose to get him to your ranch?” he asked.

“Helicopter.”

“The trauma…” One of the doctors objected.

“He is well enough to fly.”

“Gentleman, gentleman,” Colin sang, “we have an obligation to this patient and that is to ensure he recuperates fully. A hospital, any hospital is the last place he would rather be. In any event, we are placing him at risk every day while he’s here. We are aware that there is no hospital that is completely germ free. He could develope any kind of illness if he remains here.’

The doctors acknowledged this.

‘So how will you manage to bring him back to full health, Dr. Bold?’ Carstons asked.

‘His central nervous system is fully operational. He speaks. He can move his fingers and toes. All I need to do is enmsure that he gets personal physiological treatment, and as it happens, my thesis on coma patients is based on this.’

‘There is the question of his prescribed drugs. Drugs you will not be in possession of.’

‘I intend to wean him off his medication within three weeks. So all I need is a three week supply of his medications. His body has the ability to adapt.’

“Gentlemen, are you comfortable with this?” Carston’s asked. They remained silent.

‘Tell me Doctor Bold, if your treatment fails, what happens then?’

Colin glared unflinching at the grey haired physician who had asked this question, and replied, ‘I will not fail.’

* * *

He opened the door – not a squeak.

The room was dark, except for the bright red digital display of the radio on Kyle’s bedside table.

“What’s up, Dad?” he said, not moving his head from the pillow.

Colin turned on the light. Kyle's room was small with a single bed, a TV, and posters pasted to the walls.

“I’ve been meaning to tell you something…”

He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

“I have to go away,” he said, seating himself on the edge of the bed.

“Go away? Where to?”

“The Berg. I have to finish my master’s and I have a project to complete for the hospital. There’s this patient, his name’s Rain. Woke up yesterday after a fifteen-year coma. Still thinks he’s in 1990. They want me to rehabilitate him. He’ll be coming with me.”

“How long will you be gone?”

“Six months at least.”

“Six months! What about me?”

“I was thinking you could go live with Aunt Liezl for a few months.”

“You’re going away with a total stranger and leaving me with Aunt Liezl! Yesterday you promised me we’d go fishing on the weekend, now you tell me I won’t see you for several months.”

“I’ve made arrangements with Liezl to fly you in by helicopter on June 16th. Take an extra day off school on the Monday, and relax.”

“June 16th. I get to see you once in six months. That’s great. I have a runaway Dad. Okay … Take me to Aunt Liezl. Have fun. And when you get back I’ll be here. But I don’t promise that our relationship will ever be the same. It’s what you want isn’t it, Dad?”

“No that’s not what I want and you’ve given me one hell of a mouthful young man, but I won’t change my mind. I’ve decided.”

But Kyle wasn’t finished. There was more.

“And this guy? He’s your new friend isn’t he?”

“He’s a patient. And yes, he may turn out to be a friend, but you never can tell.”

“You like him. I know. You’re always in a rush to get to the hospital. You’ve broken not one but several promises. It’s like I don’t exist.”

“We’ve had this conversation before and it's always the same. You know that you are the most important person in my life and that’s why I do this.”

“You’re going away for six months? That’s so uncool. Where’s the deal in that?”

“No deal, young man.”

“I want my ‘puter when you get back.”

“No computers.”

“Larry next door has one. Peter at school has one and Liezl, your own sister, has one.”

“Do they check out porn?”

“I don’t want to check out porn! Jeez, adults get so flustered about a beautiful thing like sex.”

“Well, first up, porn’s not for a boy! Secondly, the porn industry is linked to drugs and child slavery, so that in itself makes the whole thing ugly, and not welcome in this house. Do you read me on this?”

“I’m not a child. And everyone’s checking porn.”

“Well, porn is not for my child. Not now, not ever, okay. When you’re more responsible, living on your own, and a lot older, you can do as you please.”

It struck him suddenly. Kyle was at that vulnerable stage when a boy turns into a man.

“You’ll get your ‘puter back and more, if you behave yourself while I’m gone.”

“What do you mean, more?”

“Nokia cell phone?”

“Deal.”

“So, it’s okay with you, then?”

“I guess so…”

“Now sleep. If you ask me you’re far too intelligent for your own good.”

“Night, Dad.”

He kissed him on the forehead and closed the door behind him.

* * *

Liezl smiled as she kissed Colin. She was shorter with dark hair and hazelnut brown eyes. Inside, she made tea and had prepared waffles with honey and ice cream.

Kyle allowed the words to spill forth, “Kaylin Lake awaits Dad and a strange man is going with him.”

Liezl laughed and said, “That’s cool!”

Kyle sounded disgusted, “Cool?”

Colin exclaimed, “Enough Kyle. Get all suicidal, but not now!” He turned to his sister. “Thanks for looking after him.”

“Sounds like the assignment is paramount. Are you threatened by this project? You seem threatened by it.”

“Yes, I am. It’s going to be a long six months, Liezl. I hope you’ll be okay with him.”

Liezl’s smile was assuring.

“It’ll be over before you know it. Anyway, I'll see both of you on June 16th."

He kissed Liezl on the brow.

“You’re more than welcome. Thanks for looking after Kyle. I’ll make it up to you.”

Copyright © 2011 LJH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok, Louis. This chapter is very good also.

I was wondering what was the reason I find so easy to read your stories. Then, the obvious answer was "the clarity of the text".

It is not that this story so far, was such thriller or something. For it is not dramatic or very exciting. But it is pleasant. So, is in this sort of stories where the quality of the texts maintains the interest of the reading. A careless composition is not pleasant to read, at least for me. For I do not feel sure of myself. Well, English is not my mother tongue. Then, if a text difficult to read, it is calling ignorant or stupid. Then, nobody loves to be called stupid, I suppose.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..