Jump to content
    Marty
  • Author
  • 645 Words
  • 1,008 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jamie McDaid - 1. Chapter 1

“What you doing up so early?” mumbled Declan, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

 

Jamie paused with his hand on the window latch. “Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you,” he said softly.

 

Using his elbows to push himself into a sitting position, Declan looked at the clock beside his bed. The digital display read 07:14. “Well you failed. But you’ve still not answered my question. What you doing up at this ungodly hour?”

 

“Keep your voice down!” said Jamie in an urgent whisper. “I’d rather get away without anyone else knowing.”

 

“Meaning you want to be gone before dad wakes up, I assume.”

 

“Got it in one. You know what he can be like.”

 

“Well he didn’t get in till the early hours. He’ll probably not wake till after noon,” whispered Declan.

 

“I know,” replied Jamie. “He woke me up with all the noise he was making. Drunk as a skunk he sounded.”

 

“Yea. Made mum get out of bed and make him a fry up.”

 

“Some things never change,” sighed Jamie.

 

The two boys looked at each other sadly.

 

“You need a hand with anything?” asked Declan.

 

Jamie smiled at the offer. “No. But thanks for asking. I’m all ready.”

 

“You leaving through the window?” asked Declan, noticing Jamie’s hand still resting on the window latch.

 

“Aye. No telling where the Quare Fella finally passed out. Wouldn’t want to run into him on the way out.”

 

“Good idea. I didn’t hear him go to bed. He could have passed out on the sofa.” said Declan, starting to get out of bed.

 

“Stay where you are. No need for you to get up as well.”

 

“Sure, I’ll have to close the window behind you. You know I can’t sleep with it open.”

 

He crossed to the window and the two boys stood side by side for a few moments looking out at the early morning light.

 

Declan reached up and gently squeezed Jamie's shoulder. “Have a good time,” he said.

 

“I intend to,” Jamie replied with a smile.

 

“Okay. Out ya go. I’ll pass the bag out to you.”

 

Throwing his right leg over the window sill, Jamie eased himself through the window and stood on the damp grass outside the cottage. Declan handed the rucksack out to him.

 

As he was about to hoist the rucksack onto his shoulders, he looked back at Declan and frowned.

 

“You going to be okay here without me?” he asked, with genuine concern.

 

“Probably. You seem to be the one dad picks on the most.”

 

“I know. But you're the second oldest. Without me here he might decide to use you as the punch bag instead.”

 

“No use worrying about what we don’t know,” said Declan. “Anyway don’t be getting concerned. It’s not the first time you’ve been away. I’ve managed in the past. You just go off and forget about things for a few days.”

 

“Yea, I’ve been looking forward to this camping trip with Tim for ages. That’s why I wanted to be up and away early. Before dad decides to change his mind and not let me go.”

 

“So go!” whispered Declan urgently. “And let me get back to my bed.”

 

Hoisting the rucksack onto his shoulders and hooking his thumbs into the shoulder straps, Jamie smiled. "Right, I’m off. See you Thursday.”

 

“Not if I see you first,” Declan joked as Jamie turned and started to walk away from him.

 

Without breaking his step Jamie removed his right thumb from under the strap long enough to stick his middle finger up at his younger brother.

 

“Up yours too,” smiled Declan, quietly closing the window and getting back into his bed.

Copyright © 2011 Marty; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Good start. I do want to know where this is going.But it looks like it's been lying fallow for a while. Why the wait?

 

More?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Good start. I do want to know where this is going.But it looks like it's been lying fallow for a while. Why the wait?

 

More?

Hi Geron

 

You'll maybe notice that I show this story as being On Hold here in GA. I do have a lot more written, but it's one of the two novels I mentioned in this blog post yesterday that I have been struggling with for the past ten years or more. I do intend to get back to it eventually but, because I know just how stop-and-start my writing can be, I really don't want to be upsetting readers on GA by starting to upload more chapters here and then making them wait months (or even years) for the next update. I did that on another (now defunct) site around ten years back, and it upset me to see readers getting upset about being left hanging.

 

If and when I ever get it finished I shall upload it here (perhaps one chapter every few days). In the meantime, expect to see more single chapter stories (and poems) from me. 

Edited by Marty
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I like the opening chapter it promises to be a good story, I'm looking forward to you getting back to it so that we can read the remaining chapters. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mancunian said:

I like the opening chapter it promises to be a good story, I'm looking forward to you getting back to it so that we can read the remaining chapters. :)

Thanks, @Mancunian. :thumbup:

I'm unlikely to get back to this story in the foreseeable future, however.

Link to comment

Would like to read some tales based in the old home country. Hope you find whatever is needed to make it happen Marty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..