Jump to content
    mcarss
  • Author
  • 5,822 Words
  • 270 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Strength of Fate - 14. Chapter Fourteen

Nathan and Brohm tucked into the shadow of night, away from the street lamplight. Before them stood the city’s massive northern portcullis, guarded by a few armoured men. They chatted amongst themselves casually, sometimes laughing, their voices echoing against the nearby buildings. The streets were empty, a fact Nathan found strange taking into account the size of the city, but then he considered their distance from the pubs. The buildings here appeared to be more business-oriented. Owners usually lived above their shops, but that wasn’t the case here.

The night was warm, the air still. Nathan felt a pull to be free of the city walls, and tapped his foot impatiently while they waited for Rabiah to appear. His arm was especially bothersome this night, becoming more than just an itch. Now, it felt like small pins digging into his flesh. He tried his best to soothe it without Brohm noticing.

“Finally,” Brohm said under his breath, pointing at a figure in tight clothing.

Despite only meeting Rabiah once, she had a distinctive shape that was hard to mistake for anyone else. They emerged from the darkness and advanced on her. She wore a tight leather outfit that shone in the lamplight. Despite showing no skin, her attire left nothing to the imagination.

“Good evening, boys,” she said in a sultry tone.

A chuckle escaped Nathan. “What are you wearing, and why?”

Rabiah pouted. “You don’t like it? I always aim to dress to impress.”

“I hope you’re not trying to impress us. And I doubt Theodrik is attracted to human women.”

She blinked at both of them. “That’s its name?”

“We wanted to call it something.”

She cackled, her voice reaching the gate and catching the attention of the guards. Brohm, not wanting to stand out more than they already did, took the lead and gestured for Nathan and Rabiah to follow. They approached the guards, who watched them with curiosity the entire time.

“Hullo,” Brohm said, reaching into his pocket to show the bronze token.

“Little late to be outside the gate, innit?” one guard asked, eyeing them dubiously. His gaze held on Rabiah uncomfortably long.

Nathan wanted this over now, and pulled out his own token. “We just want to enjoy the stars without the light of the city is all.”

Rabiah revealed her own token, pulled from a small pocket on her leg. She leered at the guard. “That’s right. All we want are the stars.”

She was a terrible liar, but the man seemed too lost in her outfit to notice.

“Open ’er up,” he called out to a guard on the parapet.

The massive gate groaned as it rose, holding in place just high enough for them to pass through. On the other side, two more armoured men with halberds watched Rabiah’s backside intently, much to her pleasure. Nathan’s eyes gradually adjusted to the starlight, and he surveyed the rocky terrain ahead of them.

“Where are we meeting it?” Rabiah asked.

“I’m not sure,” Nathan said sheepishly. “It can track my location, and—”

She grabbed his arm roughly, right on the old wound. He grimaced in pain, but hoped in the dark neither would notice.

“What do you mean it can track you?” she asked. “What exactly is your relationship with this thing?”

He pulled his arm free, cradling it loosely. “I told you. It’s a long story. Suffice to say, it should notice me out of the city and take that as a cue to meet us.”

Another moment of jealousy flashed across her face before smoothing over with a smile. She pointed a jesting finger at him. “You better share that story soon.”

“No promises,” Nathan replied as he turned back to the cliffs, looking for a way up.

They reached the incline, finding natural paths amid the rubble. The effort of the climb kept Rabiah silent for the time being, which Nathan appreciated. He tried to ignore the pinpricks on his arm, a painful reminder of what was to come. Dread filled his belly, thinking of the day he could no longer hide it, forcing him to tell Brohm the truth. In his mind’s eye, he saw the woe on the big man’s face.

Out of breath, they reached a bluff overlooking the city and surrounding farmlands. From their position, the massive walls did little to hide the buildings within.

Brohm huffed, wiping sweat from his brow. “Reckon this is far enough, yuh?”

Nathan nodded, and then looked to Rabiah. “Are you regretting wearing that leather now?”

She shot him an irritable glance in reply. They leaned against a rock, catching their breath. Unlike at ground level, a mild breeze brought some relief here, cooling their faces.

“What kind of name is Theodrik for a daemon?” Rabiah asked after a few minutes of silence.

At first, Nathan was reticent to answer, but figured it didn’t matter if she knew the truth. “It was the name of the alchemist who summoned it. Brohm and I wanted to call it something.”

“So it didn’t have a name?” she asked.

Nathan soothed his arm again. “It does, but apparently we wouldn’t be able to pronounce it.”

Rabiah chuckled in spite of herself. “Of course. That makes sense. But Theodrik is hardly a name of power. It’s demeaning.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that name. Anyway, I wanted to call it something other than daemon. I think that’s more demeaning.”

Time passed sluggishly. Brohm wandered the clifftop and explored hidden nooks before finding a suitable rock to act as a seat. Odd animal calls broke the silence in the distance. On occasion, gusts of wind would stir up eddies of fine dirt. Nathan assumed Theodrik wasn’t going to arrive, only to catch sight of its familiar shape against the stars.

“There it is,” he said, pointing it out to the others.

Rabiah immediately stood up, brushing red dust from her outfit. “I see it.” The nervous excitement in her voice was palpable.

Brohm joined them as the daemon wheeled a few times before making its steady descent toward their position. Massive wings fanned out as it landed, buffeting the ground. Debris flew up, forcing them to shield their faces until Theodrik had settled and folded up its wings. It lumbered toward them, burning eyes lighting its way.

“Good evening.”

Brohm raised a hand in greeting.

“Hi, Theodrik,” Nathan said. “We’d like you to meet Rabiah. She has the know-how to send you home.”

Rabiah dropped to a knee, eyes cast down in reverence. “It’s an honour to meet you . . . Theodrik.” She clearly had trouble speaking its temporary name.

The daemon laughed, a rumble deep within its chest. “Please stand, Rabiah. It is I who should kneel before you.”

She did as requested with prudence, but kept her eyes averted. Theodrik mimicked the bow as best it could, however its eyes remained locked on her.

“It is a wonder that Nathan and Brohm have found one with the knowledge we seek. Even more surprising, that you would be willing to aid us. I thank you.”

Her eyes wandered up slightly, gazing at its clawed toes. “I’ve great respect for your kind. Never could I have hoped to consider this moment a reality for me.”

Theodrik let out a grunt of curiosity. “I have heard of humans who worship our kind. Are you one of them?”

She cleared her throat, making the slightest glance toward Nathan to her left, and Brohm to her right. “Yes, I suppose I do,” she replied.

The daemon rose to its feet. “I have never understood why. Would you be so kind to explain it to me?”

Rabiah made a choking sound, unsure how to respond. Nathan assumed it was akin to a god asking a priest the same question.

“There are some of my kind who revel in being worshipped by humans,” Theodrik said. “They devise acts of violence to be performed at their command. In some ways, we are not dissimilar from humans. Many of us care for our fellows, while select others thrive in chaos. The daemons that have plagued your world are those select few, and they are not to be trusted.”

It reached out with a single claw. Touching Rabiah’s chin with delicate precision, it lifted her head to make eye contact. She stared into the fiery orbs with equal parts fear and wanton passion.

“I will make this clear,” it continued. “I am not one of those select few. I am not to be worshipped.”

“But look at you,” Rabiah said breathlessly. “Such power demands it.”

Theodrik pulled its hand away, a quizzical smile revealing the tips of its sharp teeth. “I suppose I will never comprehend the awe and wonder some humans have for our kind. The fear? That, I understand. Our appearance is normally quite troubling to humans.” It gestured toward Nathan and Brohm. “My first meeting with them was not ideal, and upon reflection, I realized my actions had reinforced that fear.”

Rabiah smiled deviously. “What happened?”

Before the daemon could reply, Nathan interrupted. “It doesn’t matter. You’ve met Theodrik now. That was the deal. You meet it, you help us.”

Theodrik’s eyes widened. “Ah, stipulations. Does this meeting satisfy your request, Rabiah?”

“Yes,” she replied with a stutter.

It was obvious to Nathan she wanted more, but couldn’t gather the resolve to speak it aloud. Theodrik caught it as well.

“Fret not. We will meet again before my departure.” It crouched down again and reached out to touch her arm, almost a caress. “I thank you for helping Nathan, Brohm, and myself. I miss my kin, and with your help, we will be reunited. Thank you.”

She could only nod in reply, once again unable to meet its gaze. Theodrik rose and addressed Nathan and Brohm.

“This location is ideal. You chose wisely. I hope that the next time we meet here, it will be for my exodus from this land.”

“That’s the hope,” Nathan said. “Stay out of sight, okay?”

“Of course, Nathan. I am hiding well amid the peaks to the north. I bid you all a good night.”

Theodrik turned, and with a lumbering gait, dove off the cliff. Its wings flashed open, lifting it up with powerful strokes. The trio watched silently as the black silhouette rose higher, turned north, and disappeared behind the craggy rock.

Rabiah releases an audible breath, as though she’d been holding it the entire time. “Well, that was . . . an experience.”

“Reckon not really what you expected?” Brohm asked.

She turned to him, abashed. “Was I that obvious?”

Nathan and Brohm chuckled.

“You made a fine impression, I’m sure,” Nathan said. “We’ve found that Theodrik is easy to please. Nothing like what we expected from a daemon.”

She looked up again, hoping to catch another glimpse of Theodrik in the sky. “Truer words were never spoken. Oh, but wasn’t it magnificent? Gods, to have such a being at my disposal.”

“It’s not a pet,” Brohm chided. “And I don’t care how friendly it seems. Reckon nobody can tell a daemon to do something it doesn’t wanna.”

Nathan recalled the alchemist and how he’d somehow managed to turn the daemon into Lord Helmsley’s slave. He pondered if Rabiah had the same knowledge. She was dangerous in her own way, of that he had no doubt. It didn’t mean she couldn’t be trusted, but he had to remain vigilant.

 

 

 

 

Muggy and hazy air smothered Nathan and Brohm the next morning. The bustling city crawled, a pace Nathan found more inviting. They decided to walk the short distance to the university, yet despite hiding within the shadow of tall buildings, Brohm was sweating in short order. A wave of cool air hit them upon entering the university, its stone structure providing relief from the weather. Yet by the time they were knocking at Rabiah’s door, the air clung uncomfortably to their damp skin.

A heavy latch disengaged, and the door opened a crack, revealing the dim void. Rabiah’s face peeked out, and upon seeing them, opened the door wide enough to let them in. As soon as they were through, she shut and bolted the door again.

“Reckon someone’s gonna barge in here?” Brohm asked.

“You can never be too safe,” Rabiah replied with a fretful tone, returning to sit at her desk.

Unlike the day before, her workspace was now disorganized. Books had been pulled from shelves, some open, lying atop one another in haphazard fashion. Two chairs stood opposite the desk, and Nathan and Brohm took that as an invitation to sit.

“You’ve been busy this morning,” Nathan said.

“I haven’t slept yet,” she said, wiping her eyes. “After our meeting, I knew trying to sleep would be fruitless, so I came back here.”

“So, what’d we gotta do to send this daemon back home?” Brohm asked.

She turned her attention to him. “What you’re actually asking for is to open a portal between dimensions.”

“Okay,” he replied, annoyed by her pedantic response. “Can you do that?”

She glanced at the mound of books on her desk. “Yes . . . and no.”

Brohm let out a noisy sigh.

“Can you elaborate?” Nathan asked.

She directed their attention to the shelves bordering the room. They held books and scrolls, arranged neatly amid stone and metal curios, some of which glowed softly from within.

“We’re surrounded by the knowledge you seek.” With a smooth gesture, she pointed at a thick tome before her. “I can guide you to procure special crystals. They’re crushed into a powder and used to draw symbols during the ritual.”

Closing that book and pulling another to the top of the pile, she thumbed through the pages. “Based on our location and the stars, I can calculate the correct time when a portal can be safely opened.”

“So what are you missing?” Nathan asked.

She closed the book, expelling a plume of dust. “I need to learn the spoken incantations, as well as how to draw the symbols. This information is deemed too dangerous to share, even for scholars such as myself. It’s locked away.”

Nathan perked up. “Locked? Where?”

She cleared her throat for dramatic effect. “The repository of forbidden knowledge.”

Nathan and Brohm chuckled, and for the first time today, she smiled.

“I know. It’s a silly name,” she said. “That would be Edouard’s doing.”

“Who’s that?” Brohm asked.

“I’d call him an overpaid librarian. For reasons I can’t fathom, the university thought he was the right choice to oversee the safety and security of those books. Trouble is, he’s also been given full authority over who can read their contents. Let’s just say we don’t get along, and so I’ve never gained access to the books I really want.”

Nathan scoffed. “Can’t you plead your case to someone higher up?”

She shook her head. “They don’t want to hear it. They gave him the power, so he gets final say.”

Nathan rubbed his chin with a thumb as he visualized his set of lockpicks—an important part of his past—hidden within a pocket of his rucksack. The idea of discarding them was too difficult to bear, and now he was pleased to have them.

“If I could get you in there, could you find the book?”

“I told you,” she said. “They’re locked up.”

“I heard you. Locks aren’t a problem for me.”

A glimpse of hope twinkled in her eye. “Does that include magickly-held locks?”

Nathan’s confidence was blown over, and he slumped his shoulders. That was enough for Rabiah to understand.

“Every lock’s got a key, yuh?” Brohm chimed in. “Where’s the key?”

“Around Edouard’s neck,” she said.

Nathan held up a hand. “Hold on. What if we’re overthinking this? Why don’t we explain the situation to him?”

Rabiah broke out into laughter, but it was far from jovial. “That idiot thinks I want to summon daemons. He doesn’t trust me. It’s the reason he refuses me access. And he doesn’t know you two. He’d just assume I hired you to con him.”

“Then we show him the daemon,” Brohm said. “Theodrik tells this Edouard guy it wants to go home, then he’ll have to believe us.”

She pondered his plan a moment, then grimaced as she spoke. “If you want to keep this a secret, I don’t know if that’ll work. I could see him reporting it, instead.”

Brohm let out an exasperated sigh and spoke under his breath. “Reckon we just end him and take the k—”

He stopped short upon seeing Nathan’s glare, but Rabiah appeared intrigued.

“Go on,” she cooed.

Brohm glanced at Nathan, looking for permission to speak his mind. With a roll of the eyes, Nathan bestowed it.

“People are getting killed because of these iratxos, yuh? And these things won’t stop coming until Theodrik is gone. If this Edouard is getting in the way of saving innocent folk—”

“Edouard is just as innocent,” Nathan muttered.

“I think I understand what big and tall is saying, though,” Rabiah said. “Sacrifice one for the sake of many?”

Brohm shrugged. “Makes sense, don’t it?”

Nathan stood, exasperated. “This is crazy. We don’t need to kill anyone. Worst case, we subdue him. Take the key. Get the book. Do the thing.”

Rabiah twisted her face. “That book we need? I’ve already asked for it more than once. He’ll know I’m involved as soon as he finds it missing. Listen, I’m all for helping you two out, but not at the risk of losing my position here. This is my life’s work.”

“Right. I get that,” Nathan said, flopping back into the chair. “There has to be another way to gather the information we need. That can’t be the only copy of the book.”

She shrugged in reply. “If there’s another copy, I don’t know where to find it.”

Brohm caught Nathan’s eye, and with a grim look, told him what needed to be done. Nathan vehemently shook his head.

“Care to share with the rest of the class?” Rabiah asked with a raised eyebrow.

Brohm turned to her. “Reckon there’s nothing else we can do. We deal with Edouard, permanently. Then we get the book, and you do your thing.”

Once again, she was keenly interested in the concept of Edouard’s demise. Nathan slumped his head in dismay, questioning why death always followed in their presence. Why their solutions usually involved bloodshed. He refused to believe this was their only option here.

“How about this,” he said. “I follow him home at night. Steal the key without him noticing. We get the book, and I replace the key before daybreak.”

They took a moment to digest the plan.

“He won’t notice one book missing if he never suspects anyone was there, right?” Nathan added.

Rabiah shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not.” She thought about it a moment more. “Probably not.”

“This is the sanest and safest choice,” Nathan said.

“And what happens if he catches you?” Brohm asked.

Nathan’s face darkened. “If I’m cornered, I’ll do what I have to, but I refuse to kill a defenceless man.”

Rabiah sulked, disappointed. Nathan wondered how they often managed to get involved with people of questionable moral fibre.

“Okay, let’s do this tonight,” Brohm said.

“Not so fast,” Rabiah blurted. “We only need that book for the last part.” She pushed a tome aside and opened the one underneath. “First, you need to fetch me those crystals I mentioned.”

“Something else we need to steal?” Nathan said in a teasing manner.

She eyed him with a smirk. “No, you’ll be getting these from the source.”

“That sounds far away,” Brohm said.

“Well, depending on how you view it, they’re equally nearby and infinitely far away.”

Brohm scratched his head. “I never was good at riddles.”

“Where exactly do we need to go?” Nathan asked.

“Fractional dimensions,” Rabiah stated, as if that explained everything. “These are spaces between the veil, unendingly varied and infinite in size.”

“Okay,” Nathan drawled. “What’s involved in getting to one of these places?”

“Compared to opening a portal to the hells? Quite simple.” She pointed at the book before her. “The way can be opened with chalk on stone and the right words spoken.”

“If it’s so easy, why is this the first time I’ve heard of these fractional dimensions?” Nathan asked.

“Because they serve no purpose to us. They’re like an endless deck of cards, continually shuffled. You can choose a card at any time, and that dimension will appear. Had you chosen a moment later, a completely different dimension would materialize. When you open a portal, the passage of time determines which dimension is chosen. From our position, once a dimension is missed, accessing it again is impossible. They’re infinite.”

Nathan took a moment to process the concept. “It sounds like a frightening way to get separated from our world.”

Rabiah presented a wan smile. “Indeed.”

“There’s crystals in these places?” Brohm asked.

“Yes. They’re black, nearly opaque. They tend to grow on rock formations in bunches. They’re quite small, so you’ll need to collect a fair number—”

Nathan raised a hand in confusion. “Wait. If these places are continuously changing, how do we get back?”

“I’ll hold the portal open from this side. It’s not difficult, but does require concentration. As I said, the deck is continuously shuffling, but by pulling a card, we keep it in our hand until we’re done with it. Rest assured, the portal between our world and that dimension will remain solid.”

“And you’ve done this before, yuh?” Brohm asked.

“Yes, I’ve opened these portals twice.”

Brohm turned to Nathan. “Reckon you ready for another adventure?”

Nathan smiled. “Yeah.” He looked to Rabiah. “When can we do this?”

“Midnight would be safest. We don’t want to be disturbed. Meet me tonight at the university’s front entrance.”

They rose from their seats, but Rabiah held a hand out to stop them. “This is just a precaution, but make sure you’re armed.”

Nathan instinctively touched the hilt of his dagger sheathed on his belt. “Should we be expecting trouble?”

Rabiah flipped through the book before her. “I’ve never seen them, but there are accounts of encountering fauna. They’ve always been docile and hide from visitors, but . . . like I said, just a precaution.”

“How big are they?” Brohm asked.

She shrugged. “Nothing is certain. It’s possible the dimension we investigate will be lifeless.”

“I think that answers everything, at least for now,” Nathan said before glancing at Brohm. “What about you?”

Brohm shook his head. “We’ll see you tonight, Rabiah.”

She yawned and rubbed her eyes. “And just as well. My bed is calling me.”

 

 

 

 

After their time spent in the cool recesses of the university, the oppressive heat outdoors felt that much worse. The sun, now high in the sky, ate away at the protective shadows. By the time they’d reached their hotel, Brohm’s shirt was nearly soaked through with sweat. Within the lobby, the heat was held at bay, much to their relief.

The deck clerk waved to get their attention. “You have a message,” he stated, handing them a small envelope.

“Thanks,” Nathan said, “but who’s it from?”

“An older gentleman. Good day,” the clerk said, returning his attention back to the task at hand.

They ambled toward the stairwell while Nathan opened the envelope. The small note was a message from Cormac, and Nathan spoke it aloud to Brohm.

“I hope you’re enjoying your time together. Thank you again for your offer to stay, but this hotel is too lavish for me. I’ve found a place more to my liking, a hostel called The Wheel and Spoke in the northeast quarter. I’ve made arrangements with the owner to help him in exchange for food and board. If you need me for anything, seek me out there. Yours, Cormac.”

Brohm let out a long sigh. “Reckon I was wrong about him. You kept telling me he was alright, but I just couldn’t see it.”

Nathan laid a hand on Brohm’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, big guy. You were trying to protect us. I can’t fault you for that.”

They retreated to their suite, and the day was spent lounging, napping, eating, bathing, and enjoying more carnal pleasures together. Deep into the night, Brohm risked opening the glass doors to the balcony. Humid air wafted in, and he closed it immediately with a grunt.

“It’s still gross out,” he stated.

Nathan sat on a plush foot rest and pulled on his boots. “As much as I appreciate your naked body, you should get dressed. Rabiah’s expecting us soon.”

While strapping on his dagger, he watched Brohm clothe himself and tighten his sword belt. It was a simple act he’d performed countless times, yet now, Nathan felt emotions bubble to the surface. He’d always imagined they’d be together for a long time, ‘go on adventures’ as Brohm put it, maybe even grow old together. At that thought, his arm tingled—a reminder he’d never have the opportunity to enjoy Brohm’s company for much longer.

“You okay?” the big man asked as he approached.

Nathan forced a smile. “Sure. Just wondering what we’ll be facing tonight. Should I bring my bow?”

Brohm shrugged. “Reckon so. Better to have it than not, yuh?”

It was ideal they were heading out at night. While being armed in the city wasn’t a problem, it did raise suspicion, certainly for guests of the hotel. Luckily, the hallway, stairwell, and front lobby were deserted. No one to ask them questions they didn’t want to answer.

Brohm was right. The muggy weather was cloying and uncomfortable. Empty streets welcomed them, but regardless, they did their best to avoid the lamplight. Their surroundings were eerily hushed, even for this hour. Nathan assumed the exclusive neighbourhood made for boring residents, retiring to bed instead of overindulging in drink.

The university grounds were gloomy compared to the streets, with the trees overhead covering any chance of moonlight breaking through. Nathan felt more at ease in the dark, though. They walked up the path carefully, allowing their eyes to adjust, but still found the way ahead murky. What details he could discern were indistinct, but the gravel path was composed of light stone, standing out against the grass on either side, making it easier to follow.

Brohm stopped suddenly, holding a hand to Nathan’s chest. “Someone up ahead,” he whispered.

Nathan opened his eyes wide in hope of detecting anything. A shape sat on what he assumed was a stone bench.

“Is that you, boys?” Rabiah called out.

Brohm let out a breath. “You trying to scare us?”

She chuckled as a sickly green glow emitted from a bauble in her hand, not unlike the ornamental trinkets adorning her office. She stood up and beckoned them to join her.

“I would’ve assumed one so big and strong wouldn’t be afraid of anything,” she stated in a teasing voice.

Brohm wore a frown. “It’s a good shield from getting hurt.”

“True words spoken. You surprise me, Brohm,” she said, a smile creeping across her face. “But it’s not your words that attract me, especially seeing you now.”

Brohm scoffed. “Sorry, I don’t do ladies.” He bumped shoulders with Nathan. “He’s my guy.”

Rabiah’s smile widened, glancing slyly at Nathan. “You’re a lucky man. I bet he’s a beast in bed—”

“We’re not having this conversation,” Nathan announced, gesturing for her to lead.

She laughed, guiding them toward the university’s deserted entrance. One of the massive doors stood ajar. Once they were through, she closed it and ran a massive bolt into the floor, locking it tight. Their footsteps echoed resonantly against the stone walls, but Rabiah paid it no mind.

“Is this place not guarded?” Nathan asked as they walked the curved concourse.

As though in answer, a man holding a lantern emerged from one of the wings. He wore light leather armour, and a sword hung from a belt. Both Nathan and Brohm stumbled a moment, looking for a place to hide, but Rabiah continued on as though everything was fine. They fell back in line behind her, trying their best to look inconspicuous despite being armed themselves.

“Hello, Robert,” Rabiah called out to the guard.

“Hello, Miss Charters. Burning the midnight oil again?” Robert replied, holding the lantern up to peer farther into the dark. “Now, you know how admin feels about guests after hours, Miss Charters.”

Rabiah sidled up to the man and brushed her fingers down his stubbled cheek. “Oh, they’re just helping me out. No one needs to know, right?”

His eyes flickered between her and the two men looming behind. “No, I suppose not,” he said after a long pause. “Just don’t make me regret it, okay?”

She kissed his cheek. “You’re a doll.”

He waved her away with an embarrassed grin and continued his patrol, leaving them behind. Rabiah crooked a finger at Nathan and Brohm to follow. Once they were out of earshot, Brohm shuffled up beside her.

“Was that magick?”

“Don’t be silly,” she said. “He’s just a lonely man, and a woman’s touch can always work wonders.” She glanced at him. “Well, almost always.”

They reached H wing, yet she continued further down the concourse.

“Where are we headed?” Nathan asked.

“J wing. It’s mainly used for storage, and the basement is perfect for our needs. No one will disturb us.”

“But no one’s here,” Brohm said.

“Not now. But this could take hours, well into the morning. That’s, uh . . . something I forgot to mention. Time doesn’t pass the same within fractional dimensions.”

“What do you mean?”

“The reasons are complicated. Suffice to say: time beyond the portal runs slower than our realm.”

“So you’re saying we should be quick about it,” Nathan said.

“Yes. As I said, holding the portal open requires concentration. While not overly taxing, it can get tiring after a while.”

“How long you reckon you can keep it open?” Brohm asked.

She licked her lips nervously.

“How long have you held one open in the past?” Nathan interjected.

“Uhm . . . maybe fifteen minutes?” she offered sheepishly. “But they were only tests. I could’ve held it open for much longer.”

Nathan huffed. “I don’t like this.”

She held his shoulder in a familiar manner, as though they were friends. “It’ll be fine,” she said in an attempt to soothe him. “Just don’t travel too far from the portal. If you can’t find any crystals, return and we’ll try again.”

She led them down stone steps and through a maze of corridors until they reached a doorway. Flickering light beckoned. The room was small, easily lit by two stout candles. A few old chairs and a desk had been pushed to one side. On the far wall stood a doorway drawn with thick, white chalk, embellished with glyphs on each side. At the centre of the floor was a chalk circle with the same glyphs written along its edge. An aquamarine rock, glassy in appearance, sat in the middle of the circle. Just outside the circle lay a thick tome, open to a specific page.

Nathan felt apprehensive about the display before him, his stomach in knots. He glanced at Brohm, but his neutral expression yielded no insight into his thoughts. Rabiah handed Brohm a leather bag. Something clanked inside.

“There’s a chisel and hammer in there,” she said. “You can use the bag to store the collected crystals. It doesn’t matter if they break into pieces. I’m going to grind them up.”

She sat on the floor in front of the circle, cupping the glassy stone with a palm, and then glanced up at the two men standing meekly behind her.

“Well, come on. I figure it’s obvious where you’ll be heading,” she said, gesturing at the chalk doorway.

“We’re walking through a wall?” Brohm asked.

“It feels like there should be more you need to tell us,” Nathan said.

She shook her head. “You’re not walking through stone. Once it’s open, it’ll be like walking through any doorway. Just don’t go too far, okay?”

Brohm took the lead and stood beside Rabiah. With great trepidation, Nathan willed himself to stand behind him. He found Brohm’s hand, held it firm, and the big man returned it in kind.

Using a finger to find her place on the tome’s page, Rabiah recited in a language completely foreign to Nathan. The words were soft, as though made of silk, and her voice took on a low, melodious tone. The cadence began slowly, as though soothing a baby. After each pause, it gained momentum, adding a sense of urgency to the words, until one last chant ended with the exclamation.

A glyph on the wall burst into flame, its corresponding mate on the floor glowing in sympathetic resonance. Another short urgent call, and a second glyph erupted in response. This continued until all the glyphs on the wall burned away to black soot, and the floor glyphs were alight. Within the drawn doorway, the stone wall shimmered and wavered like a desert mirage.

“Prepare yourself,” Rabiah said.

Nathan gaped at her. “Prepare for what?”

She scraped the blue stone forward toward the glowing glyphs. The portal burst alive, and a series of images flashed before their eyes. An alien landscape of violet grasslands; a massive sun dawning over barren terrain; an underwater kelp forest; a heaving field of lava. Those were the images Nathan could identify. Much of what he observed was beyond his capability to describe succinctly. The sound of these places accompanied the images, adding to the chaos.

Rabiah shifted the stone with a steady jerk, and the portal stopped its kaleidoscope of visions, pausing on one place. It was a tempest, but made of winds of such violence he’d never imagined possible. There was no doubt to stand within it would tear a person apart.

She shifted the stone back, momentarily returning the jumble of images, before pushing it forward again. Beyond the doorway lay a black void. Deafening screams—millions of tortured souls—chilled him to the bone. A tear welled in his eye. Whether in response to the piercing sound or in morbid wonder of what could cause such a sorrowful wail, he couldn’t be sure.

Again, Rabiah shifted the stone to shuffle the dimensional cards before their eyes. She held it a moment longer than before, then jerked it in the opposite direction.

Silence.

Nathan found his ears ringing from the aural violence they’d been exposed to. The portal revealed a craggy, narrow platform of darkened stone, floating in a sea of glowing orange fog. The light source beyond the fog, whatever it was, seeped from all directions.

“Is this it?” Brohm asked, his voice faltering.

Rabiah glanced up at him. “This is one place chosen from infinity. It’s as good as any.”

The concept of "fractional dimensions" used in this story originated from a long-form ambient music series I've been working on, based on my interest in fractals. At the time of writing this chapter, I'd recently finished working on the second volume. The accompanying art, which I created using 3D fractal software, is heavily influenced by the fractional dimension Nathan and Brohm are about to enter.
If you're curious, you can check out the album (and looping animation) here:
 
© 2023 Mike Carss
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG--Rabiah has them entering fractional dimensions to capture and bring back black crystals--This is so dangerous. If they get enough crystals, then they will have the next step towards opening a way home for the demon. But, then they must steal the key to the restricted area from the librarian or kill him.

Can they complete their tasks safely? Can they trust Rabiah to carry out her word or will she try to rule this demon? Will Nathan stay healthy enough and not be held back by his bites?

  • Fingers Crossed 5
Link to comment

I don't for a moment trust Rabiah...she has her own agenda....as evidenced by the following...

She looked up again, hoping to catch another glimpse of Theodrik in the sky. “Truer words were never spoken. Oh, but wasn’t it magnificent? Gods, to have such a being at my disposal.”

“It’s not a pet,” Brohm chided. “And I don’t care how friendly it seems. Reckon nobody can tell a daemon to do something it doesn’t wanna.”

Nathan recalled the alchemist and how he’d somehow managed to turn the daemon into Lord Helmsley’s slave. He pondered if Rabiah had the same knowledge. She was dangerous in her own way, of that he had no doubt. It didn’t mean she couldn’t be trusted, but he had to remain vigilant.

  • Wow 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Rabbah has displayed enough disturbing character traits to not be fully trustworthy. She has little empathy for others and desires power. Once she knows how to open a portal, it's only a matter of time before she attempts to trap a demon for herself.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Like those who have already commented, Rabiah is not to be trusted. She is definitely interested in keeping Theodrik as a kind of tool/servant/weapon. Our guys are going to have to be very careful.  

I'm still hopeful for a cure. Perhaps one of these fractal dimensions will hold the solution. 

  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..