Jump to content
    Mikelaing74
  • Author
  • 1,541 Words
  • 899 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Special - Mayan Tribute: End of the World Entry

It Was Only Once - 1. Chapter 1

It was only one time, so how could things have been affected this badly ? No-one get’s caught just the one time, you have to do it over and over again before you get caught.

No-one he knew had ever been caught. It was such a stupid thing to do. However the realisation of what now would happen was starting to come home to him in very stark contrast. Things would never, could never be the same again.

It had all started when the boss and a few of the other guys had decided to go out after winning one of the big contracts that they had been chasing. In the current economic client winning any business was worthy of a celebration.

The boss had walked into the main area where all the sales guys would sweat over the phones trying to drum up any business they could, it was well known that the company was looking to cut costs and they all knew that their jobs were on the line. The pall of fear that descended over the office was palpable, they were all wondering the same thing, am I next ?

“Well guys, I’ve got to level with you, it’s not good.”

Now you could actually hear the groan that went up in the office.

“We won the Kingston account, so you can breathe easy for a while.”

The bastard actually had a smile on his face when he said that. You could hear some regaining control of their rectal nerve, and some needing to change their underwear.

Amongst the cat calls and jeers from us guys, someone suggested that we go out and get a few beers. The call was quickly taken up, and the boss looked to be as up for a drink as the rest of us. So we all got back to work, just watching the clock tick by.

Eventually the clock hit five thirty and we stampeded out of the office. We were all intent on getting to the pub and downing a few pints. We were acting like children as we headed down the street. The stress of the past few months had taken its toll on all of us, so we were going to let off some steam. Lucky it was Friday and didn’t matter too much if we had hang overs in the morning.

I had already called Stephen from the office to let him know that I would be going out with the boys for a drink and maybe a curry after work. He was fine with it, he hated being around my work colleagues as they were too boisterous and determined to prove how much of a ‘man’ they were.

We got to the pub and we all made the boss put his hand in his pocket to buy the first round. As he handed out the lagers we all broke off into little groups, but within hearing range of everyone else, sort of a loose grouping of people. We had a few more pints in the place until someone said something about going for a curry.

So we piled out of the pub and headed off to the nearest curry house that we knew was ok. We all pied in and started to order more lager, we were getting quite noisy, but they were used to drunken groups trying to drink as much as they can before eleven when the pubs close. Amongst the guys yelling for more poppadum’s and dips to go with them, and doing the obligatory Indian accent we kept on drinking. The talk started to turn towards sport and women, I was politely kept out of the conversation, they didn’t want to hear what goes on in a gay guy’s bedroom. Although listening to them boast about their conquests and their various experiences it was a surprise that any women would go to bed with them with the limited knowledge they had !

When we left the curry house, a few of the guys peeled off and started up the road to head home. I suppose it was starting to push nine at night, we had been out for quite some time and I was starting to feel the effects of the drink. But I knew I was good for a while longer. So we headed more into town to find some bars where the women would be hanging out. It was obvious that some of the guys were looking to score, me ? I just wanted a few more drinks before I headed home to Stephen. I knew I would be sleeping in the spare bedroom tonight, he never liked sleeping with me after I’d had a few drinks, I snored worse than normal.

We hit one of the trendy bars in the town centre and started in on the shorts, they just kept going down, one after the other. It wasn’t long before I knew I was way too drunk. Before I knew it, I’d said bye to the guys and started heading up the road. I was not really thinking, my feet were just leading the way.

The next thing I knew I woke up in a small square room, there was one very harsh source of light in the centre of the ceiling. Looking round the room, it was featureless part from the padded bench I was lying on.

I stumbled over to the door and tried to get out of the room, but the door was locked from the other side. I pounded on it, but got no answer, so I went back to the bench and sat down. That is when I noticed that I’d been sick on myself and the aroma was just coming off me in waves, it also looked as if I had pissed myself in the process. In short I was a mess.

I don’t know how long I waited for someone to come to the door, but I think I fell asleep once more. Someone was shaking me roughly by the shoulder.

“Come on wake up you fucker.”

The shaking was making me nauseous, and I stared to go a bit green at the gills.

“Don’t you dare puke on me.”

I started to open my eyes and look up at the person who was tormenting me. It sure as hell didn’t sound like Stephen. I looked up and saw a Police man. I’d obviously been picked up the night before for being drunk and left to sleep it off.

The copper just stood there waiting for me to move. When I did start moving, he held my upper arm and guided me to the front desk. When I got there, there was a sergeant sitting behind the desk.

“Mr Summers, you were arrested last night at 22:40 by Police Constable Hill and Police Constable McNeil following a routine traffic stop. When stopped you were aggressive and refused to provide a breath sample for the officers. Therefore you are being charged with being intoxicated whilst in charge of a motor vehicle, and also of resisting arrest.”

To say I was stunned was an understatement, this could not be happening. I had never tried to drive home while I was drunk, what could have possibly persuaded me to ?

The sergeant was saying something, but I was not paying too much attention, rather I was too stunned. At the end of the speech, the sergeant asked me if I understood the charges and my rights. I just mumbled that I did.

At that, they got me sign a few things and then they took me back to my cell. I collapsed on arriving in the cell. I was just left what was going to happen now.

I don’t know how much time had passed, but the door opened, and another officer was standing there. He motioned me to get up. I did so and started to follow him out of the cell. He took my back to the sergeant on the desk. He then explained to me that I was being released on bail, pending a court appearance.

They handed over a bag with my personal things in it, and then they took me through to a lobby where Stephen was waiting for me.

“I’ll take you home, then I never want to see you again. I will not date someone who is that fucked up they drive whilst drunk.”

To say the drive home was tense was an understatement, when we got to my flat, I tried to talk to Stephen, but he told me to just get out.

Once I’d gotten into my flat I just collapsed against the front door and the enormity of what was about to happen hit me.

The boyfriend was gone, the driving licence would be next, and with it the job would go. I’d have to leave this place, there is no way I’d be able to afford it without working. On top of that, there was also the possibility of doing time and a major fine being handed down. Judges were not too kindly disposed to a drunk driver.

All in all, for just one moment of insanity my world was effectively over.

Copyright © 2012 Mikelaing74; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Special - Mayan Tribute: End of the World Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The end on a single person's world. Interesting take, all too believable, showing how a single error in judgment can have a huge impact on your life.

Link to comment
On 12/22/2012 06:22 AM, Bill W said:
The end on a single person's world. Interesting take, all too believable, showing how a single error in judgment can have a huge impact on your life.
Thanks Bill, I wanted to make this personal, rather than global.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I really enjoyed the 'End of the World' theme that involved the personal end to a character's world, and didn't revolve around the 12-21 thing. Since I can't abide those who drink and drive-no matter what the excuse-I found myself thinking... it serves you right! at the end, lol. Your good guy was also a villain imo. I did find it strange that you specifically mention he headed off walking-implying that he was headed home-then had him get into his car but not remember that part. That conflict with writing first person-meaning you can only share what the main character knows/remembers made that element unworkable for me. However, this was still a good short story!

Link to comment

interesting how attitudes have changed over the years - much for the better. when i was a kid, it seemed that people thought nothing about driving after a drink. now, it's rightly very much a taboo thing to do. though i think there's still a lot of hypocrisy about alcohol mis-use, especially when you compare attitudes to drugs to how people behave with alcohol. so, i think your story is timely and apposite. thanks for sharing.

Link to comment

A really poignant time to write along this theme Mike. Drink driving in December goes up 4 times the normal average according to police stats.

I suppose it could read like a bit of a script for a Think Don't Drink Road Safety Campaign.

Funny I didn't see the car aspect coming, I figured he was done for assault or murder or something daft. Driving didn't enter my head considering I thought he'd walked, which was a clever misleading teaser. :P

Thanks for sharing a good take on the theme. :)

Link to comment

And so a world comes to an end. A very personal world. One night of drinking and stupidity leads to the end of everything. I enjoyed the different take you had on this theme Mike. It made it really appealing in one respect and in another I wanted to walk up and smack the hell out of him for drinking and driving. The only good news is at least he didn't hit anyone while he was driving.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..