Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,641 Words
  • 5,919 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fathers Know Best... - 1. Chapter 1

 
I Hope everyone enjoys a peek into the lives of Kaleb and Chase some twenty something years later.
This was my first original story here on GA, and Kaleb soon gained an admire,so this was written with RC in mind as promised, so here it goes...enjoy!

A light creaking sound could be heard off in the distance. He stirred slightly as he scrunched his nose and turned his head. With a sigh, he relaxed.

As soon as he settled down he heard it again. This time, he let out an aggravated sigh as he squeezed his eyes tightly shut, burying his face into his pillow. He felt movement to the side of him and smiled as he scooted closer to it and rested his head on his husband’s chest. Once again, he relaxed.

The noise grew louder and the patter of what sounded like footsteps could be heard. This time, he shot up in bed and looked around in the darkness of the bedroom. He yawned and stretched before he scratched his head confusedly as his eyes tried to focus on the surroundings. Chase yawned beside him, and turned his head slowly, not bothering to lift it from the pillow.

Mmm…. Kaleb, what are you doing?” He groaned out, his voice thick with sleep.

“I thought I heard something,” Kaleb said in a hushed tone. He waited for Chase to respond, but not a sound was made. He looked down to his right to see Chase fast asleep, his breathing steady, and his snores soft. Kaleb huffed before placing his hand on Chase’s shoulder, shaking him lightly. “Well, aren’t you going to check it out?” He whispered with a sense of urgently.

Chase yawned once again, rubbing his eyes. “I didn’t hear anything,” he sighed, prepared to go back to sleep.

“That’s because you’re not listening,” Kaleb hissed quietly. “Now go check it out.”

“There’s nothing to check out,” Chase murmured into his pillow, not wanting to leave the confines of the warm, soft linens.

“Then how do you explain the noise?” Kaleb demanded, still keeping his voice low. He crossed his arms over his chest and he glared down at his husband.

“What noise?” Chase asked tiredly.

At that very second a loud thrashing sound was heard and Kaleb peered over at Chase and arched his brow. “That noise,” he rebutted, thumbing towards the bedroom door. “I think it’s coming from the kitchen.”

“Do you think it’s a burglar?” Chase asked, now alert as he slowly sat up.

“Who else would it be? Santa Claus?” Kaleb replied sarcastically.

“Christmas isn’t for another few months,” Chase quipped, earning a swat across his chest.

“You know what I mean.”

“I know.” Chase smirked.

A clanking sound interrupted their playful banter causing them to stop mid-sentence.

“Go!” Kaleb pointed to the door.

“You go!” Chase whispered before sinking back under the cover. “It’s probably just the cat,” he said in an attempt to go back to sleep.

“We don’t have a cat,” Kaleb huffed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “This is ridiculous.” He tore the sheets from his body, throwing his legs over the side of the bed easing out quietly. He stretched, reaching his arms up towards the ceiling. He turned to face the bed to find Chase snuggling into his pillow. “Oh, no, mister! You’re coming with me.” Kaleb marched around to the right of the bed armed with determination and tugged on Chase’s arm.

“Fine….” Chase sighed, finally sitting up. “If this is the only way I can get some sleep.” He pushed the sheets off of him and threw his legs over the edge of the bed, standing as well. He gave a small stretch before heading towards the door. “Let’s go,” he whispered. He turned to Kaleb and put a finger to his lips, giving the signal to be quiet as he slowly opened the door. They both poked their heads out, looking up and down the hall before stepping out of the room. Quietly as they could, they approached the stairs.

Clank!

Kaleb froze as his heart sped up and he latched onto Chase’s arm fearfully. Chase placed a reassuring arm around Kaleb’s waist, pulling him closer. Then, after a moment, he slowly guided them both down the stairs, pausing at the last step to listen for any more movement. They heard a sigh and saw the light reflect onto the walls from the kitchen. Kaleb looked at Chase with wide eyes, silently asking what they should do. Chase grimaced before walking around the wood railing of the staircase, and down the short hallway towards the kitchen.

Bam!

“Ouch!” A familiar voice shrieked. In that instant, Kaleb smiled widely, releasing Chase’s arm and walking forward, his husband following closely behind. They entered into the kitchen to find her with her back towards them, bent down looking into the cupboard as she rubbed her head.

“Lilly!” Kaleb exclaimed, surprised. The woman froze and slowly stood up straight. Then, she turned around hesitantly.

"You have a key?" Chase asked curiously. "She still has a key?" He asked again in awe, this time directing his question to Kaleb. Kaleb answered with a slow nod.

“Hey…” She greeted as she bit her lip. “H-how are you?”

“Lilly, it’s 2:30 in the morning,” Chase acknowledged. “What are you doing here?”

“It’s kind of a long story.” Lilly twirled her fingers nervously.

“What’s with all the noise?” Kaleb questioned.

“Oh, I was going to cook something.” Lilly smiled.

Chase threw a sideways glance at Kaleb, raising an eyebrow confusedly. “Uh, Lilly, honey, not trying to be rude, but the last time I checked you and Darin have a lovely two-story home with a kitchen and a stove that works.”

“I know…but I missed you guys,” Lilly explained.

“Awww… Honey.” Kaleb pouted and made his way over to his daughter. “We missed you too…” he pulled her into a hug, resting his chin on her shoulder and patted her back lightly. “Now what’s the real story?” He asked sternly, stepping back at arm’s length.

"Yeah..." Chase echoed.

“I told you already…” Lilly said quietly distancing the space between them.

“Right…” Chase crossed his arms over his chest. “You just got married, let see," he rolled his eyes toward the ceiling and sighed, "four months ago… and you miss us? You know what I miss? Those thousands of dollars we spent on the dream wedding."

"Chase..." Kaleb hissed chastising his husband. Chase shrugged his shoulder and continued.

"Honey, I love you, but why aren’t you at your home, cooking for your husband or sleeping for that matter?”

“Dad….” Lilly whined dropping down into the chair. She covered her face with her hands shaking her head dejectedly.

Kaleb glared at Chase as he walked around to their daughter. “What’s wrong, Honey?” He asked with concern sharing a confused glance with Chase as he caressed her shoulder.

Lilly began to sob. “It’s awful, just awful,” she cried, her long cascading curls hid her tears. Kaleb frowned looking questioningly at Chase who creased his eyebrows in confusion.

“Tell me about it Sweetheart.” Kaleb pulled the chair closer and sat down beside her.

Lilly glanced up locking gazes with her father sending him a forlorn sigh. Her brown eyes; red and puffy while her cheeks were tearstained.

“Princess, what happened?” Chase asked as he too took a seat at the table.

“I just…I just,” she babbled, “I just can’t do this. I want a divorce,” she choked out through tears.

“A divorce?!” Both Kaleb and Chase exclaimed. Chase balked with wide eyes and Kaleb cringed clutching at his chest.

“What do you mean, you want a divorce? What happened to ‘but Daddy, I love him’, huh?” Chase questioned, his curiosity clearly peaked.

He and Kaleb had their doubts about Darin in the beginning, but over time, along with determined action, he proved himself worthy of her.

Lilly was much like Kaleb; spoiled and used to having things her way. Chase was to blame for that; Lilly was the only girl with a house full of men and Kaleb was his everything. Chase’s world revolved around him. He never wanted for anything.

Theirs was give and take all the way. Kaleb was totally dedicated and committed, and he loved more than a hundred percent. He had no filters; he said what was on his mind and, unlike most, got away with it. So, Chase had to wonder if it wasn’t just some simple misunderstanding.

“It’s too much. I want to move back home.” Lilly finally looked up meeting her father’s questioning gaze head on.

“That’s not possible,” Chase replied as he glared at his husband. “We’re what you call ‘Empty nesters’ now, Caden lives on campus. Mint’s got his own place and we finally married you off-“

“Chase!” Kaleb chided stone-faced.

“You know what I mean. She can’t move back home,” he deadpanned. “You can’t move back home, Lilly.” He crossed his arms over his chest unwavering. “You’re a married woman for goodness sake.”

Kaleb cradled his little girl tightly in his arms stroking her long curly hair allowing the strands to slip between his fingers as he did so. This was something he’d done since she was a little girl.

Whenever Lilly was upset Kaleb would comb his fingers through her hair caressing her scalp and sing lullabies to her as he stroked it softly. “What happened?” He whispered in her ear as Chase watched on expectantly.

Lilly sniffed, lifted her head and used the back of her hand to wipe her runny nose. She again met Chase’s concerned stare. Her eyes wandered over his features.

Chase Montgomery; her father and best friend in her opinion had to be the best father in the world aside from her Daddy, Kaleb.

He aged gracefully; handsome and Kaleb was still the envy of all the women, her girlfriends included. She sent him a weak smile watching as he combed his fingers through his auburn hair that was sprinkled with gray; yes at the age of fifty-five he still looked good.

She glanced up at her Daddy and smiled. “Can we talk?” She asked faintly.

“Sure, Baby girl. We’re here for you, you know that,” Kaleb stressed. Chase clasped his hands together resting his arms on the table sending his daughter an agreeing nod.

“Um…um,” she stammered nervously twisting a lock of hair around her finger. “Can we talk… alone?” She grimaced and ducked her head shyly.

“Why, honey? It’s okay whatever you have to say you can say to the both of us,” Kaleb said encouragingly as he ran soothing circles over her back and shoulder.

“I know, Dad, but…”

“It’s okay, Babe.” Chase stood and smiled softly. If his feelings were hurt, he didn’t show it. “I’ll go to the living room.” He nodded toward the doorway. “Not even sure what’s on at the crack of dawn thirty since I’m usually in bed with my husband, asleep,” he yawned, “But I’ll see,” he said as he excused himself. “Work your magic, Babe.” He tugged on his drawstring pants and staggered out.

Lilly rested her chin in the palm of her hand as she studied not Chase but Kaleb, watching the way his eyes lit up at just the sight of her father. That sparkle never left after all the years they’d been married.

“See,” her voice was barely audible. “I don’t see Darin that way.”

“Huh?” Kaleb turned his attention from his husband to Lilly his giddy smile softening as pale blue eyes meet concerned brown ones. “What did you say?”

“I don’t see Darin the way you see Dad…”

Kaleb cocked his head to the side his expression registering confusion.

Chase plopped down on the sofa and reached for the remote powering on the television. He absent-mindedly scanned the channels wondering what was going on in the next room.

He understood there was a bond between the two of them that was impervious. They came into each other’s lives at a very crucial time. They needed each other.

Though Kaleb treated each of his children with the same love and attention, showing no partiality whatsoever, Chase knew deep down Lilly held a special place in Kaleb’s heart.

He had just settled on channel 35 when he heard the lock on the front door turn. He waited expectantly. He watched as the young man stumbled inside trying to balance a bag in one hand, a drink in the other while at the same time trying to remove the key from the lock. The intruder took hesitant steps unaware he had an audience.

“Shit,” he mumbled under his breath when the key jammed inside the deadbolt.

“Watch your mouth, Son.”

“Holy Crap!” He yelped almost dropping the 32oz drink.

Chase chuckled under his breath as he watched the color return to his son’s face.

“Sorry, Dad.” Caden ducked his head bashfully pulling the key easily from the lock.

“It’s okay, Son.” Chase laughed lightly as he set the remote down on the table. “What are you doing here? What’s in the bag?” He gave a short nod to the white paper bag clasped in his son’s arm.

“Oh, this?” He wiggled his brows enticingly as he made his way over to where his father was sitting. “Ultimate cheeseburgers from ‘Joe’s.”

“From Joe’s,” Chase parroted in a hushed tone. “Um…” he cleared his throat while glancing back over his shoulder. Chase had had his fair share of ultimate cheeseburgers from ‘Joe’s.’ According to his husband he was getting fat and needed to stay away from them, he’d said in pure Kaleb fashion, of course. He could now pinch more than two inches on Chase’s waist and it was all because of ‘Joe’s’. “Um, how-“ he scratched at his temple giving his son a sideways glance.

“Two,” Caden laughed already knowing the question his father was about to ask. Chase sat up rubbing his hands together briskly while licking his lips. He inhaled deeply allowing the savory aroma of juicy ground beef loaded with cheese, pickles, onions and lettuce to tease his palate. That along with the smell of perfectly salted French fries was worth the tongue lashing he would receive from Kaleb.

Chase slid over eagerly allowing his son room to sit as he cleared a place on the table. Caden sent his father a cheeky grin before pulling out a burger wrapped in foil.

“For you.”

“Thank you.” Chase grabbed the burger from his son’s hand and tore open the foil. Caden smiled as he watched his father practically inhale the food.

“Slow down, Pops, Dad is going to be busy for a while. I got ya.” He snickered as he unwrapped his own burger and took a huge bite.

“How did you know?” Chase muttered between chews.

“She called me,” He stated simply even as he handed his father a napkin. Chase creased his brow swallowing hard before he spoke. “Here,” Caden handed him the soda.

Chase took a large gulp. “She called you…at the dorm?” He asked incredulously before taking another bite.

“Yep,” Caden replied while digging in the bag pulling out a large thing of fries. “She’s such a drama queen.” He sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Just like her dad.” Chase shook his head grabbing a few fries. “Do you know what’s going on?” He asked before shoving a hand full of fries into his mouth.

“I don’t know, Dad. Something about Darin and her and her and Darin….” He shrugged before taking a bite of his burger.

Chase nodded reflectively. He tilted his head slightly between chews and arched his brow. “You still have a key?”

“….And it’s just…” Lilly’s voice trailed off as she began to cry again.

“Oh Honey.” Kaleb tightened his hold on his daughter. He listened to her go on and on…babbling even and he still didn’t understand what the problem, was or why she was there. “You love Darin, I know you do,” he voiced softly.

“I do,” Lilly admitted lifting her head to meet her father’s pale blue eyes. “But…” She left the statement hanging.

“But what?”

“I’m not sure I want to be married anymore. I mean I thought I did, but now I don’t know.” She shrugged.

“Did Darin do something wrong, Sweetie?”

“No…Nothing,” she answered simply through a heavy sigh. As if Kaleb wasn’t already confused her reply puzzled him further.

“Then I don’t understand.” He released his hold on her. “Honey, you’ve woken up your daddy. You better have a good reason for that. You know how grumpy he gets when he doesn’t get his full eight hours.” Kaleb chuckled more to himself.

“See. That’s what I’m talking about. Dad gets grumpy if he doesn’t get enough sleep and you’re okay with that. He doesn’t eat his eggs unless you prepare them just the way he likes them and you never complain.”

“I love him,” Kaleb’s admission left no room for doubt. It was simple and straight to the point. “He puts up with me.” He ducked his head shyly peeking through the dark rich curls that framed his still flawless features.

Lilly laughed humorlessly while shaking her head. “After twenty-four years of being married to dad, you still don’t get it? Do you?”

Kaleb tilted his head slightly with a deep crease between his brows.

“He doesn’t put up with you. He loves you.” Lilly sent her father an adoring smile. “He loves everything about you. To him you are perfect.”

“Nawh…” He blushed bashfully. “It’s him that’s perfect,” Kaleb countered. “I knew it the moment I laid eyes on him that day at the shelter.” He had that dreamy faraway look in his eyes. “I remember it like it was yesterday.”

“You both are perfect together. You take care of each other.” Lilly smiled weakly. “And I’m just afraid I won’t have that with Darin.”

“But, Honey how will you know if you just break and run at the first sign of doubt? That’s not being fair to Darin, but more importantly it’s not being fair to you.”

Lilly nodded as she pondered her father’s encouraging words.

“MmmMmmMmm. That was good.” Chase sighed using his napkin to wipe his mouth.

“All done and Dad will be none the wiser.” Caden laughed amusingly as he gathered up all the evidence.

“Are you kidding? Your father can smell Joe’s special sauce a mile away.” Both he and Caden laughed while continuing to clean up. “Once I stopped by Joe’s on the way home and got a cheeseburger. Stopped at the store picked up one of those little toothbrushes and a sample bottle of mouthwash and…” he rolled his eyes, “I even bought a pack of cinnamon gum ...”

“Don’t tell me…Busted?”

“Yes,” Chase answered quickly. “He had that look in his eyes when he kissed me, you know like he knew something.” Chase recalled. “He leaned in and sniffed and like you said I was busted. It was ugly.” He shuddered.

“Was he mad?”

“I wouldn’t say he was mad, but you know how your father can be,” Chase pointed out. “He wanted to go to Joe’s and…” Chase laughed as he retold the story.

Caden dropped down on the sofa giving his father his full attention. He wasn’t sure who he enjoyed listening to more both; Chase and Kaleb were great at retelling stories. They were very animated and emotion filled not to mention biased depending on who was telling it.

By the time Chase finished Caden’s sides ached from laughing so hard. His fathers were indeed unique in their own right and he felt lucky to have them. To be raised by such amazing parents was a blessing. Though their family wasn’t considered normal by “societies” standards, their home was filled with integrity and love. Kaleb and Chase stood up for what they believed in and he admired them for that. He wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world.

“…Yep.” Chase stood up and stretched. He glanced back over his shoulder toward the kitchen where his husband and little girl were and shook his head. “Okay so what do we do with this?” He nodded to the trash they’d collected.

“I’ll go out the front and take it around back to the trash,” Caden suggested.

“Nawh, that’s not good enough. He’ll see it when he takes out the trash.”

“Oh yeah.” Caden scratched at his scalp, remembering that taking out the trash was Kaleb’s job. He insisted on it. The running joke was the Fitzgerald/Montgomery household had been voted the family with the neatest trash in the whole neighborhood. The bag was placed neatly in the container, never over filled. Tied perfectly and Kaleb always added disinfectant spray over it to kill most of the germs. It was his way of doing more by protecting the workers and the environment.

“I’ll just put it in my truck and dump it later,” he suggested. He was about to pick up the bag when they heard fumbling at the door. They glanced up just as the tall, handsome guy walked in. His dark curly hair framed his features perfectly. Still the spitting image of his father, his smile and pale blue eyes could light up even the darkest room.

“Hey, guys, what I miss?” He asked casually as he pulled his key from the lock closing the door behind him.

Chase stepped back and arched his brow. “You have a key too?” He asked in disbelief.

“Um, yeah,” Mint laughed amusingly. “I live here…remember?”

“Last I checked you had your own place uptown.”

“Oh, Dad.” Mint laughed in amusement. “When I moved out, Daddy said this would always be my home.”

“Me too.” Caden raised his hand in agreement.

Mint grinned as he shoved his house key deep inside his pocket. “So.” He clasped his hands together. “What’s going on with Sis?”

“Honey, you know this will always be you and your brothers’ home, but like your father said, you’re married now and your place is with your husband,” Kaleb stressed as he pushed himself up from the table and headed toward the kitchen counter. Lilly shrugged her shoulder questionably and sighed.

She got up and followed him over to the counter and rested her hip against it. Kaleb opened the fridge and pulled out a carton of eggs, handing them back over his shoulder. He next pulled out the shredded cheese handing that back to her as well.

“Were you scared?” She asked as an afterthought.

“Huh?” Kaleb glanced back.

“I know you said you and Dad were meant to be together, but were you ever scared…unsure?”

“Never,” He replied as he pulled the turkey bacon from the fridge before closing the door. “I never had to think about it. It just was,” he said reflectively. “The first time I looked into his eyes I saw me in them. Forever.”

“Well, what about him, did he feel the same about you?”

Kaleb pursed his lips pondering the question, which was indeed a legitimate one. He placed the bacon on the counter and rested his back against it.

“No,” he answered simply with a slight shrug of the shoulder.

“Really?” Lilly raised her brows in surprise. “But…”

“Your daddy was scared at first, and that’s a normal reaction for people who think they know what normal is.”

“I’m not sure I know what normal is,” Lilly admitted while reaching into the cabinet.

“Normal is up to your own interpretation, Honey.” Kaleb stepped closer to his daughter. He sent her a weak smile as he caressed her shoulder. “A lot of people feel your father’s and my relationship isn’t normal. They don’t understand it.” He shrugged. “But to me it’s the most normal thing ever.”

“Me too.” Lilly leaned forward and placed a tender kiss on her father’s cheek. They shared a knowing smile before each went about with their task of making breakfast together.

“I’m just scared I’ll never have what you and dad have,” she admitted honestly. She tilted her head slightly as if she was reflecting on her own confession.

“And you won’t,” Kaleb stated matter-of-factly. He noticed Lilly’s shoulder stiffen at the comment. He paused for a moment ensuring that he had her attention. “What your father and I have is exclusively ours. Just like what you and Darin have will be exclusively yours. You can’t compare your relationship to anyone else’s. If you do that, you’re doomed to fail.”

Lilly nodded slowly as she cracked the egg on the side of the large bowl.

“Like grandma and grandpa? They were together forever.”

“Like anyone,” Kaleb replied. He chucked lightly as he ripped open the package of bacon.

“What?” Lilly questioned as she too laughed. “What’s so funny?”

“Your grandma Helen.”

“What about her?”

“She hated your dad.”

Nooo…” Lilly’s eyes widened in disbelief, “Really?”

“Passionately.” Kaleb chuckled. He turned the stove on and placed a large pan on the burner. “She tried to undermine him at every turn. She made it hard for him every chance she got.” He smiled. “But he stuck it out.”

“That’s because he loves you.”

“I love him. So much.”

Lilly pushed the bowl aside and pulled her daddy into a tight hug. His confession pained her and almost made her cry. He sounded so desperate, as if he had no choice in the matter. Like he was destined to love her father whether he wanted to or not and that’s what she wanted with Darin.

“Lilly?” Kaleb twisted from her embrace. “You do love your husband, don’t you?”

“Yes,” she said faintly. She blinked several times allowing the tears that brimmed her eyes to slip down her cheeks.

“Don’t cry, Sweetie.” He used the pad of his thumb to caress her cheek. “I want you to call, him. Let him know you’re safe and you’re going to stay here. You can talk later this morning after you get some sleep.” He sent her a faint smile.

“But-“

“No buts. I’ll finish up here. Calling your husband is more important,” he stressed.

Lilly took a deep breath and released it slowly. “Okay,” she conceded. She fished her phone from her purse sending her father a forlorn glance, before disappearing into the other room.

Kaleb sent her an encouraging wink. She made a commitment to her husband when she said ‘I do,’ and he expected her to uphold that vow.

“So, anyway, he said they almost got arrested for doing it…” Caden laughed. He was relating the conversation he had with his uncle Carter earlier in the day. Carter and Pam were on their honeymoon in Las Vegas. After twenty-three years of dating, Carter and Pam finally decided to marry. They didn’t want traditional, that was not their style.

“Wow," Chase laughed, " that’s crazy.”

“I know, right?” Caden agreed. “I told-“

“Wait!? Shh…” Mint whispered, interrupting his brother. He turned up his nose and sniffed. “Smell that?” He bounced his brows excitedly.

“I do.” Chase inhaled slowly smelling the aroma of bacon and eggs wafting the air.

“They must have worked things out if they’re cooking,” Mint said with a cheeky grin. “And I’m starving.” He pushed himself up from the chair. He was heading toward the kitchen when the doorbell rang.

“Who’s that?” Mint stopped midstride.

“Whoever it is, they don’t have a key. Thank goodness.” Chase laughed lightly rolling his eyes toward the ceiling.

Mint opened the door and stepped back. “Darin, dude,” he greeted his brother-in-law with a smile.

“Hey, Mint, Caden. Mr. Montgomery.” He nodded to each one individually as he hesitantly stepped inside.

“Darin.” Chase stood up and extended his hand to shake his son-in-law’s. “I would say it’s nice to see you, but considering it’s four in the morning and I’m a little tired I’m going to ask if you came to collect your wife instead.”

“Dad…” Caden chucked into his fist nudging his father’s shoulder.

“I did, Sir.” Darin ducked his head sadly. “That is if she’s willing to come home with me.”

“She’s in the kitchen with Dad,” Mint informed him. “They’re cooking so that’s gotta be a good sign.” He smiled. Darin stuffed his hands deep in his pockets and shifted from one foot to the other.

“You think I can talk to her?”

“Sure, follow me.” Mint nodded toward the kitchen. Darin followed his brother-in-law with Chase and Caden not too far behind.

“He didn’t answer,” Lilly sighed as tears filled her eyes once more.

“Oh, Honey.” Kaleb set the spatula down. He turned the burner down and moved the pan to one that wasn’t on. “Maybe he didn’t hear the phone ring. Here let’s try again.”

Lilly had just handed her father the phone when Mint, Darin, Caden and Chase entered the kitchen.

“Darin…” Lilly’s eyes lit up at the sight of her husband. Darin was average in height and build. His hazel eyes complimented his creamy peanut butter complexion. He wore his sandy brown hair in neat twists off his face.

Darin held his arms open wide welcoming his wife into them. Lilly practically ran to him.

“I’m so sorry, Darin,” she apologized as he wrapped her in his arms.

“I’m sorry too, Baby. I love you and I want us to work this out.” He smiled into her eyes.

“So do I.” She returned the smile as they brought their lips together in a forgiving kiss.

Mint cleared his throat and turned his head, trying to give them some privacy, which was a little hard since they were standing in the middle of the kitchen.

Chase made his way over to his husband, pulling him backwards into his arms. He rested his chin on top of Kaleb’s head kissing him there as they watched the reunion.

Caden took it upon himself to help his father finish cooking breakfast.

“Awww…” Kaleb sighed as he relaxed in Chase’s arms.

Chase leaned down slightly and whispered in his ear, “They all still have keys,” he stated more than asked. Kaleb replied with a slow nod. He inhaled deeply and shook his head.

“Chase!” Busted.

Everyone sat at the kitchen table laughing and talking as they finished up breakfast. Mint was the comedian in the family keeping everyone in stitches.

Time flies when you’re having fun the old saying goes. The sun was just peeking beyond the horizon and the birds were starting to chirp.

“Man, look at the time,” Chase said through a yawn as he pushed himself up from the table. He grabbed his and Kaleb’s plate before heading to the sink.

“Wow, I didn’t realize it was so late,” Darin noted as he wrapped his arm around Lilly’s waist.

“I know.” Lilly giggled as she rested her tired head on her husband’s shoulder. It was now 6:30 in the morning and everyone was full and sleepy.

“It’s a good thing it’s Saturday,” Caden pointed out as he too stood up and collected his plate.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to my room to go to bed.” Mint took his plate to the sink and scratched above his waistband through a sleepy yawn.

“His room,” Chase whispered to Kaleb. “He still has a room here?”

“Yes, Sweetheart.” Kaleb smiled as he watched Mint stagger out of the kitchen. “They all do.”

“Yeah, me too, I’m a little tired myself,” Caden echoed as he dried off his hands. “Good night yawl. I mean good morning…or whatever,” he laughed as he disappeared down the hall.

“Lilly and I are going to head home,” Darin announced standing up from the table. He received an approving nod from Chase as he helped Lilly to her feet.

“Yes, Dad, thank you for everything.” She hugged Chase and kissed him on the cheek. “I love you.” She smiled adoringly into his eyes.

“I love you more, Princess.” Chase tightened his hold on her for a moment longer.

“Darin, you take care.” He extended his hand.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Daddy.” Lilly made her way over the Kaleb. “I love you so much.” She pressed her lips together tightly in an effort to keep from crying.

“I love you too, baby girl.” He pulled her into his arms. “You take care of your husband, you hear me?” He asked in a hushed tone. Lilly nodded yes. “And remember…”

“Our relationship is uniquely ours.” She smiled.

“That’s right.” He released his hold on her and kissed her on the forehead.

“You ready, Pumpkin?” Darin asked.

“I am.”

“Come on, we’ll walk you out,” Chase offered eagerly.

“Bye guys.” Chase and Kaleb waved as they watched Lilly and Darin drive off in their individual cars. They stood in the doorway until they were completely out of sight.

“Wow that was close.” Chase laughed lightly. “Whatever you said worked.”

“What do you mean?”

“You got her to go home,” he said sounding relieved.

“She just needed a little encouraging, and fatherly advice. Married life can be challenging, you know that.”

“I do. But the reward is so worth it,” he said as he placed a tender kiss on Kaleb’s mouth.

Mmmm…” Kaleb moaned as he deepened the kiss. He pulled back breathlessly, sharing a heated stare with Chase. “Let’s go to bed.”

“I don’t know. I was thinking about watching the morning news. I’m not sleepy.” Chase rolled his eyes to the left, feigning innocence.

“Neither am I.” Kaleb winked sexily. Chase arched his brow questioningly.

“Really?” He smirked.

“Really.” Kaleb ran his tongue suggestively over his upper lip.

“Well, hell yeah. Lead the way.” Chase allowed Kaleb to go ahead of him.

“Can we play my favorite game?” Kaleb called back over his shoulder.

“Sure. I was just thinking about that, we haven’t played it in a while.”

“There are children in the house,” Mint called out, overhearing their conversation. “No wild sex games, please!”

“Yeah!” Caden laughed. “We’re trying to get some sleep!”

Kaleb ducked his head and covered his mouth to keep from giggling bashfully.

Chase countered with, “Go home you two!”

“We are home!” Caden and Mint laughed….

var>The End...for now;) 
Merci,
Kim
Copyright © 2012 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It was really nice getting to see Chase, Kaleb and their family :) Chase is still my favorite, and i love that his relationship with Kaleb is still going strong :) The kids are great; Chase being bewildered about everyone having a key reminds me of the cosby show and Cliff lol i love it You can't deny he loves each and every one of them though even with his griping. And Kaleb still doesn't get the point that Chase loves him :) nice story kimkim.

 

I liked how lighthearted and simplistic the story is. you do family warmth so well i always enjoy it :) Chase's reactions and Kaleb's reprimands had me cracking up the whole time. Lilly's newlywed strife made me chuckle too and I love how Kaleb handled the situation. He gave her very good advice. Our kaleb has grown up quite nicely :) he's very profound sometimes. Caden and Mint are a pleasure to read as always too. I really enjoyed the whole story chica, made me smile :)

Link to comment

hi there. i always enjoy ur story.. and i miss chase n kaleb so much. there are never a dull life in their household. i never had a doubt that they love each other so much. they complete one another. lily, caden n mint so lucky to have a parent like them. thxs for sharing ur story.

Link to comment

Kim dear,

 

That was the sweetest mostt wonderful story I have ever read...And I liked seein my name up there in lights and all.....Aw Shucks!!!!blink.png

But really, I thank you more than you will ever know for my Caleb booster. Oh, but one other thing......so um.. where is my key?

 

RC

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 09:12 AM, Jammi said:
It was really nice getting to see Chase, Kaleb and their family :) Chase is still my favorite, and i love that his relationship with Kaleb is still going strong :) The kids are great; Chase being bewildered about everyone having a key reminds me of the cosby show and Cliff lol i love it You can't deny he loves each and every one of them though even with his griping. And Kaleb still doesn't get the point that Chase loves him :) nice story kimkim.

 

I liked how lighthearted and simplistic the story is. you do family warmth so well i always enjoy it :) Chase's reactions and Kaleb's reprimands had me cracking up the whole time. Lilly's newlywed strife made me chuckle too and I love how Kaleb handled the situation. He gave her very good advice. Our kaleb has grown up quite nicely :) he's very profound sometimes. Caden and Mint are a pleasure to read as always too. I really enjoyed the whole story chica, made me smile :)

Thanks, Jams, I had fun working on it. And I must admit I missed Kaleb and Chase. They make a great couple and even better parents. I'm happy for Kaleb, he deserves to be happy and have a family of his own where he's appreciated for who he is and treated with love and respect. The kids are great too and very lucky to have both Kaleb and Chase as parents.
Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 11:08 AM, unlikelyu said:
hi there. i always enjoy ur story.. and i miss chase n kaleb so much. there are never a dull life in their household. i never had a doubt that they love each other so much. they complete one another. lily, caden n mint so lucky to have a parent like them. thxs for sharing ur story.
Glad you enjoyed it unlikelyu :D Nope there's never a dull moment in the Montgomery/Fitzgerald household, that's for sure. I'm sure the kids loved growing up with Kaleb and Chase as their parents. Merci for reading and reviewing :)

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 11:56 AM, Swhouston44 said:
Kim dear,

 

That was the sweetest mostt wonderful story I have ever read...And I liked seein my name up there in lights and all.....Aw Shucks!!!!blink.png

But really, I thank you more than you will ever know for my Caleb booster. Oh, but one other thing......so um.. where is my key?

 

RC

You are very welcome, my dear...sooooo glad you enjoyed it. It took a little longer to finish it, but you know how this writing thing goes ;) I had to give you your Kaleb injection...Hehehe I love Kaleb
Link to comment

Being a parent doesn't end when the child reaches the legal age of adulthood. This story is so real and makes me smile at the ever changing way that adult children interact with each other and with parents who thought that being an empty nester would actually happen. In my case, BOTH son have returned home after failed marriages of their own.....as well as assorted grandchildren. So it seems that I'll never be an empty nester....and would never want to be. The way you show each child's connection with the parents is touching and in my opinion , quite accurate......Beautiful story...beautiful message...Family is everything

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 10:46 PM, flamingo136 said:
Being a parent doesn't end when the child reaches the legal age of adulthood. This story is so real and makes me smile at the ever changing way that adult children interact with each other and with parents who thought that being an empty nester would actually happen. In my case, BOTH son have returned home after failed marriages of their own.....as well as assorted grandchildren. So it seems that I'll never be an empty nester....and would never want to be. The way you show each child's connection with the parents is touching and in my opinion , quite accurate......Beautiful story...beautiful message...Family is everything
I honestly got chill bumps reading this review because your comment is so very true.

 

I have 4 children 2 are still at home, one is off in college and has already said she's moving back home when she graduates to help pay bills, hers and mine. lol

 

my oldest daughter is married with children, and until the last few years, she would move back in, in order to re-group and get back on her feet. Like Kaleb says his and Chase's home will always be their childrens home.

 

I love it when the reader not only enjoys the story, but can also relate, it's make the reading so much more fun.

 

Thanks so much,

 

Kim :)

Link to comment

I was so friggin excited when I saw this. Was going to save it for weekend reading, and could not stand it. LOL. Kaleb and Chase are back with grown kiddos. Kaleb is still so sweet, and loves Chase unconditionally, and yet to realise that Chase loves him as much in return. "Busted". Laughed out loud when I read that. This is so light, but so entertaining. Can't wait for more antics with the guys, and their children. :)

Link to comment
On 09/01/2012 07:59 AM, joann414 said:
I was so friggin excited when I saw this. Was going to save it for weekend reading, and could not stand it. LOL. Kaleb and Chase are back with grown kiddos. Kaleb is still so sweet, and loves Chase unconditionally, and yet to realise that Chase loves him as much in return. "Busted". Laughed out loud when I read that. This is so light, but so entertaining. Can't wait for more antics with the guys, and their children. :)
merci, joann, I'm smiling as I read this because you're right it is light, no drama, but I wanted that. Kaleb and Chase are my favorites and were so well received on GA, I just love it :D

 

Kaleb is such a sweetie and Chase is lucky to have such a kind and genuine spirit as a partner. Yeah, I'm sure we'll see them again, maybe around the holidays... ;)

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, comments fuel the writer's soul...

 

Kim :)

Link to comment
On 09/01/2012 09:19 PM, pfox25 said:
they have keys you know?... haha... freakin funny =)... can't wait for more!!
Yep, poor Chase, looks like he didn't get the memo...LOL

Thanks pfox25 for reading, glad you enjoyed this snipet...not sure if you read the entire story, Shades of Gray book one, but it's out there...

 

Kim :D

Link to comment
On 10/12/2012 05:08 AM, Slytherin said:
So glad to read another chapter with Kaleb and Chase - I love them :)

Wonderful story :D

Awwww...thanks. this story was not filled with drama, just fill good stuff..fluff :D I love Kaleb and Chase and their little family. so glad you enjoyed them too, dear...

 

Kim

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..