Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Staying Together - 5. Chapter 5

One of the downsides of detailing cars for a living is the virtual destruction of my clothes. Tom Stevens owns a small used car lot, so there’s no company furnished coveralls or uniforms. I wanted to dress to impress on my first day, but I was smart enough to think ahead, too.

That said, I wore a pair of not old, but older jeans and a collared shirt that I could tuck in, but that I didn't mind ruining with compound and Mother’s wax, not to mention all of the other soaps and chemicals that I’d most likely splatter on myself throughout the afternoon. Then there was the dirt, grime and oil from the cars themselves that I knew I’d wind up wearing at some point during my day.

But to be honest, I was really starting to like my gig. Especially by my third day when I realized that no one was going to bother me as long as I worked hard and showed up on time. I had my own little work area with an adjacent room that had an old couch and ottomon. It was in disarray, but I took a little bit of time on my break to straighten it up and vaccum the floor, and I had my own private break room.

It was a little bit of a hassle, having to change into a clean set of clothes before I drove home, but there was no way on God’s green earth that I was going to ruin the inside of my Burgandy Beauty. By the end of the first week, though, my mom got sick and tired of getting triple the amount of laundry from me, so she ordered my dad to take me to Walmart on Sunday and buy me a few sets of coveralls that I could wear and not have to wash everyday.

At the end of my second week, I was called into Mr. Stevens’ office, which made me a little nervous. I was sure I’d been doing a good job, and to the best of my knowledge, I hadn’t damaged anything. As I approached his opened office door, I saw one of the salesladies walking out. She smiled halfheartedly at me as I stepped out of her way, then I stuck my head in the door.

“Phillip,” he greeted me cheerfully. “Come in and close the door will you?”

I did as I was told, then I cleared my throat, not really sure what to expect.

“Have a seat,” he offered, extending his hand to a black chair that sat opposite his side of the desk, then he opened a large brown, leather bound book of some sort. I watched as he read off of a page, then he raised an eyebrow and looked at me, seemingly surveying the situation. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“No thank you, sir,” I said as politely as I could.

“So, it’s been two weeks and I owe you some money,” he said, then he pulled a paper clip from one of the pages of the book he was looking at, freeing an attached envelope. He handed me the envelope from across the desk, and I happily accepted it without delay. I didn't want to seem too eager to take it, but honestly, this was the day I had been working for.

“Thank you Mr. Stevens,” I said.

“No, thank you for all of the hard work,” he countered. “I’ve heard nothing but praise about the work you’re doing, so keep it up.”

“I appreciate that, sir,” I told him.

“I saw on your application that you go to Ocean Lakes High,” he said, and I nodded with a smile. “My kids went there too. I’ve got a son that was just there last year.”

“I wonder if I know him,” I pondered out loud.

“Well, he got in to a bit of trouble last year and didn't finish up there,” he said with a furrowed brow. “You might know him though. His name’s Travis.”

When I was little, my parents opened a savings account for me at their credit union, and since that day, they’ve been adding to it little by little. Over the years, I would get money from my grandparents for having straight A’s on my report card, or for birthdays and holidays, but I never put it away. I was always in a hurry to spend it on whatever I could. Looking back, I can see how foolish I was. I might have saved thousands of dollars had I been smart about it, but my age and lack of foresight came into play, and I did what I did.

I guess the good news is that I saw how much my folks had saved up for me up until the point that I started working at the car wash and was instantly taken with the phenomenom of compound interest. My dad sat me down and told me that if I agreed to add just twenty percent of my check each pay period to my savings account, that he would continue to add to it as well. Then, when I was on my own, I’d have a nice little nest egg to start out with.

But my checks at the car wash were never more than a hundred and seventy dollars every two weeks, which wasn’t much. Especially once I put thrity four dollars in savings, bought gas and paid my parents for half of my car insurance. It was a real downer, but I decided to make the most out of a tough situation. Then my hours started to dwindle at the car wash, and I had even less money to work with.

Luckily, Tom Stevens paid me a whole lot more than I made at that crappy car wash. Add to that the fact that my hours went way up, the maximum I could legally work while I was going to school, and I honestly felt like I’d hit the jackpot. My first check was exactly $284.77 after taxes, and I almost did a mid-air heel click when I saw it. I was so giddy about it, in fact, that I was almost able to put that fact that I was working for Travis Stevens’ dad out of my mind.

As I drove home, all I could thnk about was what I was going to do with the extra money I was making. My first major purchase was going to be a nice set of golf clubs. I was thinking that maybe I’d go to Dick’s Sporting Goods and get a set of titanium clubs, then take my dad out to the course and pay for 18 holes for the two of us. After that, maybe I’d get a new laptop. Not that I didn't already have one, but it was a Dell, and quite frankly, it sucked ass. When I pulled into the driveway, I hurriedly grabbed my check and ran inside, eager to show my check off to my folks.

That was my first mistake.

“Wow, son, you can start paying for your insurance by yourself now,” my dad said when I bragged about how much I had made. My mom cut her eyes at my dad, and he smiled at me with a wink.

“Actually, I think you should save more of your money instead,” my mom said. “I’d like you to try to save a hundred dollars out of each check.”

“A hundred dollars?” I protested, and she gave me a look that said she meant business.

“Well, it’s either that or you can pay for your own insurance,” she said, and I quickly came to the conclusion that the first option was the best option.

Then I made my next mistake.

“I was kinda hoping that I could go to Dick’s and get a new set of clubs,” I told them, and my dad gawked.

“Why do you need a brand new set?” he countered.

“Because it would be nice to have,” I answered, and I realized that I had just come with some weak sauce.

“Do you know where I got my first set of clubs from?” he asked, and I had to catch myself before I rolled my eyes.

“Where?” I mumbled.

“From a garage sale,” he said, and I inwardly groaned because I knew what was coming. “When your mom and I were first starting out on our own, we didn't have a pot to piss in. You and your sister were lucky to wear clothes from Walmart, and your mother and I didn't have new clothes. When I made my first decent dollar, I took your mother to Ross and found a set of Pings at a garage sale for forty bucks, and I felt sick about spending that much.”

“But it’s different now,” I protested, and he shook his head.

“Why don’t you go on Craigslist and look for something first,” he suggested. “If you don’t find something there, go on Ebay. If worse comes to worst, we can go to Play It Again Sports and find you something.”

“But I have the money in the bank,” I tried to argue, but my mom cut me off.

“Just because you have the money doesn’t mean you should waste it,” she said. “Trust me, you’ll thank us someday.”

With that, I let my shoulders drop because I knew I’d been defeated and moped my way upstairs to my room, where I gathered a change of clothes and headed for the bathroom to shower.

“I better not find this on You Tube,” I snapped as Jarred pointed his camera my way. Standing next to him was Kyle K and Andrew, and all three of them had a devious look about them that I didn't trust.

“Shut up and just press play,” Jarred said, and I did what I was told.

I’d heard about the video Two Girls One Cup that was going around on the internet, but I hadn’t had the inclination to actually watch it. I thought that most of the stories about it were fake, then reaction videos started to pop up all over the internet. The most hilarious one was of a girl and her boyfriend showing the girl’s grandma the video. So, having seen that and all of the other reaction videos on the net, I agreed to watch for myself.

I guess I should have known better, but I used the mouse to press play and the video started. I was immediately repulsed but somewhat intrigued by the two women in the screen feeling each other up and kissing, but what I saw next could scar a man for life. As the video played, it got progressively worse, and just when I thought the unspeakable acts had reached their climax, the last fifteen seconds or so proved me wrong. Luckily, the entire thing lasted about a minute, but it was a minute of footage that I swear I’ll never be able to get out of my mind.

While I watched in horror, the three jackasses that had sat me down in front of Jarred’s PC were getting a kick out of the faces I was making as each scene played out. When it was all over, I felt nauseated. So nauseated, in fact, that I got up and ran to the bathroom down the hall from Jarred’s room and gagged. There was nothing coming up because I hadn’t had anything to eat yet, but my stomach wouldn’t stop convulsing.

“Is Phillip okay?” I heard Mrs. Fedina ask from the hallway.

“Yeah he’s fine,” Jarred answered through his laughter. “He just has a weak stomach.”

“You didn't show him that video did you?” I heard Mr. Fedina call from the living room.

“Oh, Jarred,” his mom said, sounding flabbergast. “That’s the most God awful thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

Somehow, I didn't find it very shocking to learn that Jarred thought it would be a funny idea to show the video to his parents. And, of course, I wasn’t exactly shocked to learn that he’d videotaped each of their reactions and uploaded them to his Youtube channel, along with Kyle K and Andrew’s reaction when he sat them down together and showed them the video. But I wasn’t interested in having my reaction posted online where my parents or my little sister might come across it, wonder what all the fuss was all about, and go off in search of Two Girls One Cup so they could see it for themselves. I’m sure that would go over like a lead balloon in my house.

“You better not be putting this on Youtube,” I managed to get out before I gagged again.

“Calm down, it’s not going on Youtube,” Jarred said, but I knew from the tone in his voice that he was full of it. I moved to the sink, where I started the cold water and let it run while I splashed my face over and over again, trying to regain control of my faculties. I thought I could hear Andrew say something about the upload taking forever and Jarred shushing him, but maybe I was being paranoid.

I finally got myself together and took a few breaths, then I made a beeline for Jarred’s room, where he, Kyle and Andrew all looked like the cat that swallowed the canary. I gave them all a suspicious look, then I noticed that Jarred had shut his PC down, so either the video uploaded quickly, or they didn't actually upload it at all. Until I had the chance to get home and see for myself, I wouldn’t know.

Sitting in Jarred’s backyard was nothing to write home about, but his parents did have nice patio furniture. Jarred and I were sitting together on the swing while Kyle and Andrew were sitting side by side in their own chairs. The air was cool and the sky was overcast, but there was no indication that we were going to see rain that day.

“So what are you planning to do?” Jarred asked, and I shrugged.

“I don’t know,” I answered. “It’s the best job I’ve ever had, but I feel like an asshole for working there.”

“I think you’d be an asshole if you quit,” Kyle K interjected. “Jeremy’s not gonna trip, man. It’s not like you and Travis are hanging out.”

“His dad’s nothing like him,” I said. “He’s like the nicest guy you’d ever meet. And I can tell he’s not exactly proud of Travis.”

“I think you ought to talk to Jeremy,” Kyle said. “If you’re honest with him, he’s gonna be totally cool with it.”

“Yeah, it’s not like he’s gonna say, ‘Quit your great job because I hate your boss’s son’ or anything,” Jarred added. “Just go to him and get it off of your chest. I’m sure he won’t trip.”

“You guys are probably right,” I agreed. Sitting next to Kyle was Andrew, who hadn’t spoken a word since I revealed the fact that I was working for Travis Stevens’ father. That worried me, mainly because I knew that Andrew and Jeremy were really good friends, and maybe he didn't think Jeremy was going to be as forgiving as the others did.

“What do you think, Andrew?” I asked, and he took a long, deep breath before he spoke.

“I don’t know,” he said introspectively. “Travis gay bashed Jeremy. Not just once, but twice. I think you should definitely talk to him, but maybe you should be ready for him to be upset.”

“Do you think I should quit?” I asked him, and he shrugged.

“I think you should maybe look for something else,” he said.

“Bullshit,” Kyle spoke up. “If Jeremy trips, then that’s his problem, not Phillip’s.”

“Have you ever been gay bashed?” Andrew asked him in somewhat of a confrontational tone. “Jeremy has, and he’s still trying to cope with it. If he trips, I’m going to understand where he’s coming from.”

Kyle glared at Andrew for a moment, giving him a look I hadn’t seen before, then he waved Andrew off while he said, “Whatever, man. You don’t have to get nasty with me.”

“I’m not getting nasty with you, I’m trying to explain something to you,” Andrew snapped.

“Look, let’s just change the subject,” I said, but it was too late.

“You always do this,” Kyle complained. “If I don’t totally agree with you, I’m the one who’s wrong and you talk down to me like I’m some kind of idiot.”

“You know what, think what you want,” Andrew said, starting to stand up. “I don’t need this shit from you. I’m out of here.”

I was stunned, and as I turned to look at Jarred, I realized that his eyes were wide as saucers. I’d never seen Kyle and Andrew argue before, and out of the blue, they were having a full-scale blowout right in front of us. Andrew started for the side gate, but Kyle was hot on his heals, not willing to let him have the last word.

“Come on guys,” I heard Jarred plead as he got up from the swing. “Andrew, don’t go.”

“No, let the little crybaby leave,” Kyle spat. “He can’t have his way, so he’s going home.”

“Fuck you asshole,” Andrew shouted, his voice dripping with anger. “You should try reading a book sometime. You might not come off as such an ass.”

“Fuck you too,” Kyle retaliated. “Go the fuck home, we’ll have a better time without you here.”

The three of them dissappeared through the side gate, then I heard what sounded like some kind of physical struggle, so I got up and made my way out the gate as fast as I could just in time to see Andrew storming off down the sidewalk and Jarred restraining Kyle, who apparently wanted to follow him. I gave chase and quickly caught up to Andrew, who looked like he had steam shooting out of his ears, and tried to calm him down.

“Hey,” I said calmly. “Why don’t you come back and we can talk this over.”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” he hissed. “I wish I’d never met that asshole.”

“You don’t mean that,” I told him.

“Oh I do too,” he said, shooting his glare back to Jarred’s driveway, where Jarred talking to Kyle face to face, his hands resting on Kyle’s shoulders. “I know how he really feels about me.”

With that, I gave him a sigh and a smile. “Let’s go for a walk.”

I turned to look Jarred’s way again, and I noticed that he was looking our way. I gave him a simple nod, then I put my hand on Andrew’s shoulder and we walked further down the sidewalk, deeper into the neighborhood.

“You know, every couple has a first fight,” I told him.

“Not me and you,” he said, and I had to give him that.

“Touche,” I said. “But let me ask you something. If you and Kyle never fight, how will you ever grow as a couple?”

“I don’t think we ever will,” he said sadly.

“Well, I’d say that if you two get past this, you will have already grown as a couple,” I told him. “Do you know how many knock out, drag out fights I’ve had with Jarred?”

“I’m guessing quite a few,” he said, and I nodded.

“More than I care to remember,” I said. “But that’s part of being a couple. It’s two people, with their own personalities and their own likes and dislikes, and they’re trying to form this union out of love and it’s hard. We have to learn to give and take, otherwise it doesn’t work out.”

“What’s going to happen next, Phillip,” he asked me, and I knew he wasn’t talking about him and Kyle. I sighed and he leaned into me for a moment, then he straightened back up.

“I don’t know, my love,” I told him. “Let’s just take things one step at a time. You know I’ll always love you, right?”

“I’ll always love you too,” he said sadly.

“We have to do the right thing,” I said, and I could tell he knew what I meant. I heard him sniffle, then he cleared his throat.

“Do you think he’s calmed down enough to talk to me?”

“I’m pretty sure he has,” I told him. “Just remember something; just because he disagrees with you doesn’t automatically make him wrong. Give him a chance to say what’s on his mind and then talk with him, not to him.”

When we made it back to Jarred’s, the side gate was still wide open, but Jarred and Kyle were nowhere in sight. We made our way through the gate, and the two of them were sitting Indian style on the grass, talking to each other. Jarred’s face lit up when he saw us, and Kyle turned his head our way. When he and Andrew made eye contact, they both looked down. Jarred said something, then he stood up while I steered Andrew toward Kyle. He silently made his way over and took a seat across from his boyfriend while Jarred and I gave each other exasperated looks.

“That was crazy,” Jarred said. “I thought they were going to fuck each other up in my driveway.”

“There’s nothing like the first blowout, huh?” I smiled, taking his hand.

“You’d think they’d have gotten this shit over with months ago,” he laughed, and I rolled my eyes.

“Ppfftt, amateurs,” I said, then I gave my boyfriend a peck on the lips. “They’ll be fine.”

As soon as I said that, Jarred nudged me and motioned with his head for me to look their way, where the two of them were locked in a tight hug that lasted a good minute and a half.

“Yeah, amateurs,” he agreed as he took my hand and led me back to the swing, where we took our place and waited for Kyle and Andrew to rejoin us on the patio.

Copyright © 2011 NickolasJames8; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..