Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 3,188 Words
  • 1,015 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Book of Venoms - 15. Betrayal

Two months ago, Xaviel comes up with a plan against his father. In the present day, Ercil confronts Vaunga about her treachery.

“Although the practice of bio-alchemy was outlawed after Count Divinus’ horrible crimes were uncovered, many have continued studying it in secret. Over time, a small group of devoted followers of Divinus formed a secretive order known as the Cabal.

At first, very few individuals were aware of the order’s existence. However, none of the Cabal members dared to perform experiments on people as Divinus had done. Instead, they spent most of their time theorizing on how an ordinary human could be turned into a shifter.

Several theories emerged from decades of their studies. According to the most widely accepted one, the subject would have to perform a ritual in which they would consume the blood of a shifter and call upon god Umnios, reciting the following incantations...

--

(Two Months Ago)

It was a warm and sunny day, with not a single cloud in the beautiful, azure sky. The mountains in the distance looked as barren as the sand dunes all around them. Standing at the open window of his room and observing the desert outside, Xaviel felt a dash of warm south wind caressing his skin and rustling his silky purple robe. He couldn’t help but wonder what lies beyond those distant rocky hills. There was a whole world outside of his father’s Citadel, and he was thirsting to explore it. For years he had wanted to see the rest of Thar, visit Alduin and other kingdoms of Escaria, but it was impossible. He was virtually a prisoner in his own home.

Macarius had always been overly protective of his only son, having already experienced loss after the tragic deaths of his wife and mentor. Therefore, he rarely allowed his son Xaviel to leave the Citadel, and never unaccompanied. Macarius simply couldn’t risk losing him too.

However, now that he was finally eighteen, the young boy expected things to change. At last, he would be able to go out and travel, experience the world first-hand rather than through words on paper. He was already a young man, but he had no friends, no one in his life except Cassandra and his father - the man he was growing ever more resentful of. Instead of being his support, guide and mentor, Xaviel felt that his father was nothing but his jailor. Someone who kept him in a gilded cage, as if he was a defenseless little bird that would get snatched by a hungry predator as soon as it flies out.

Things weren’t always like that. When Xaviel was just a little boy, his father would always bring him books and manuscripts from every place he visited. Xaviel learned to read at the age of three and quickly began soaking up all the knowledge he could get his hands on. After all, books were his only window to the outside world. At eight, he was already nearly fluent in High Escarian, the ancient language only a few people still spoke. He studied the history of the continent, old religions and mythology. The more he read, the more fascinated he grew with the world around him - especially the world of magic and shifters. He was a part of neither, despite his father being an immensely powerful sorcerer. That was a hard pill to swallow, but Xaviel was not ready to give up so easily.

Although Macarius started exhibiting magical powers at an early age, they did not seem to have been passed on to Xaviel. Even though the boy was more than willing to learn and practice, he could only ever perform the most basic of spells. This only caused the boy’s hidden animosity toward Macarius to grow even more. Xaviel didn’t understand why he couldn’t seem to channel magic powers. With all the work he put into practicing sorcery, he expected better results, but always ended up feeling defeated and frustrated.

The disappointment of his failure didn’t last long, though. After one especially long journey a few years ago, his father returned home with an ancient tome that would change Xaviel’s life - the Book of Venoms. It was this book that inspired the boy to set his sights on a new goal - becoming a mighty shifter.

Now, as he stood at the centre of his large chamber, Xaviel carefully moved the brush across the canvas, applying colors to his latest painting. Being a virtual prisoner in his home left him with plenty of time for hobbies. Other than reading, his favorite pastimes included observing the night sky from his astronomy tower. This lead to him starting to fantasize about possible life on other worlds and turning those fantasies into beautiful paintings. Distant stars, planets and galaxies were his favorite subject matter.

As he focused on painting a galaxy that resembled a beautiful pink flower in full bloom, a knock on the door interrupted him. Xaviel stopped what he was doing and turned around.

“Come in.” It must be father, he thought. Cassandra would never knock.

The door opened and Macarius entered, holding his large magic staff in one hand. There was a big brown bag hanging from his left shoulder, which meant only one thing - he was going away again.

“That is indeed beautiful,” the old sorcerer said, staring at his son’s unfinished painting. “I always forget how talented you are.”

“Thank you, father,” Xaviel replied, fighting the urge to roll his eyes. He knew his father’s tactics very well, thinking that a compliment would distract him from what he wanted to discuss. “Are you going somewhere?”

“Yes, I need to visit the capital. The caravans should have arrived with new wares already. And don’t worry, I won’t forget to buy you new pigments. Blue and yellow, is it?”

“Yes, but why don’t I join you for once? Just give me a moment to change my clothes, and I’ll come with you,” Xaviel suggested, putting his painting brush down.

“Son, we’ve discussed this at length. It’s not safe for you,” Macarius sighed. “The market, it is full of thieves, scoundrels... I won’t be able to keep an eye on you the whole time.”

“Father, I am NOT a little child anymore!” Xaviel raised his voice. His patience had run its course, especially with how his father always appeared calm and unperturbed. It was as if he didn’t understand his own son at all. “I want to go out! You cannot keep me here forever!”

“I know, son, I know,” the old man nodded. “I cannot risk it. It’s just… It’s for the best, trust me.”

“NO! I’ve had enough being held captive, I want to go out!” the boy was now shouting, desperate to make his father understand. “You’re a bloody sorcerer, can’t you cast a spell to protect me if you’re so worried all the time?!”

“I’m afraid that is easier said than done,” Macarius lied. “I’m sorry, son. I promise to take you with me one day, but not yet,” he looked apologetically at Xaviel as he backed away, closing the door behind him.

“When? When will that day come?!” Xaviel shouted after him, but Macarius was gone.

“Damn it!”

In a fit of rage, the boy grabbed the canvas with the unfinished painting and smashed it on the ground. His chest heaved as he struggled to calm down, looking at the image of a fantastic galaxy that now lay ripped in half on the floor.

He sat down on a sofa, taking a moment to compose himself. His heart was racing, so he took several deep breaths in an attempt to calm down. It seemed to him that their every conversation ended up like that - with him seeing red and Macarius leaving.

As the boy stared at the wall, he decided he had had enough. He would go through with his plan, no matter the cost. Whatever happened, he would not live like that anymore.

The door to Xaviel’s chamber opened again at that moment, interrupting his thoughts. The boy looked up, only to see Cassandra enter. The girl closed the door behind her and approached him.

“My love,” the servant girl spoke, sitting down next to Xaviel. She looked at the torn canvas on the floor and realized what must have happened. Another fight. They were becoming more and more frequent. “He’s gone.”

“Good,” Xaviel sighed. “I’ve made up my mind. We have to do it before he returns.”

Cassandra reached out and took his dark hand with her pale one, bringing it to her lips.

“Are you sure about this?” she asked worriedly as she kissed his fingers. She could feel the boy starting to relax.

“Yes, I’m sure. I am getting nowhere with him,” Xaviel shook his head. “Bloody hell! He intends to keep me here until one of us dies! Well, it won’t be me.”

The boy stood up and pulled Cassandra with him. His hand caressed her cheek and their lips soon met in a soft kiss that seemed to give him the strength to go on.

Bringing Cassandra to work for them was one of the few good things his father had done. At first, Xaviel didn’t realize why she would willingly come to live in the middle of nowhere and be a servant to a reclusive, moody sorcerer and his son. However, once he got to know her, he learned that the girl had no one - her parents had died and she had no other close relatives and no way to support herself. When Macarius found her at a street market, she gladly accepted his offer. In a matter of months, Xaviel had fallen for her and she was likewise completely captivated by the brilliant, young boy.

Now, she was more than his lover - she was his only friend, accomplice and support.

His mind set on the task ahead, Xaviel left his room and headed upstairs to his father’s alchemy laboratory, as Cassandra followed.

“Pathetic!” the boy muttered. “He is one of the most powerful sorcerers, and what does he do but sit in this bloody fortress all day?! All that power, and for what? Wasted on him! We could do whatever we want, go wherever we want and no one could stop us, yet he chooses to shut himself off from the world. I will not end up like that. I refuse!”

The boy’s lips drew into a satisfied smile as he laid his hands on the Book of Venoms, a yellow-colored tome that sat on the shelf in Macarius’ laboratory. Cassandra stood by and watched as the boy turned the pages of the book, searching for the passage he needed. He had read it what seemed like a hundred times already.

“There we go!” he stopped and looked in triumph as he found the page he was looking for. Once again, he started reading the chapter on bio-alchemy, the science on turning an ordinary human into a shifter. In his mind, it was the best thing he could do to be free of his father once and for all and become more than just a regular human. If he could not become a great sorcerer like Macarius, he would become the most powerful shifter the world had ever seen. And his father would do all the work for him.

Once he finished reading, Xaviel looked up at Cassandra.

“This is it. Once we do this, there shall be no turning back.”

“Xaviel, I’m scared. What if… what if you don’t wake up?” the girl asked. “I don’t want you to leave me alone here.”

The boy walked over and placed his hands on the girl’s shoulders. He knew she was but a simple, uneducated girl. Matters of science were foreign to her, but he did not mind that. They were made for each other, he was sure of it.

“Don’t worry, love. Nothing is going to happen to me. It’s merely Fiend Bat venom. It cannot kill me, but I must take enough to fall into a coma,” Xaviel explained softly, as if he was whispering words of love.

“I shall watch over you every day,” Cassandra promised.

“And I shall be dreaming of you the whole time,” the boy replied, kissing her on the lips. “Remember - once father arrives, you must distract him while I go out the back door.”

The girl nodded, still feeling apprehensive about his plan. Still, she had faith in him.

Finding the small vial of Fiend Bat venom, a transparent liquid that looked no different than water, Xaviel filled a small syringe with it. He then filled the vial with water, so Macarius wouldn’t notice the venom was missing. Xaviel knew his father was clever, so he could not take any chances. His plan had to be perfect.

All he had to do now was wait for Macarius to return.

~~

Ercil was frozen in place, crouching behind a group of palm trees near the edge of the Sonoraj Oasis. He observed the tent of shaman Vaunga, waiting for the perfect time to strike. He needed to make sure she was alone.

Even though still high in the sky, the sun was slowly traveling to the west. That evening, the Mataki tribe was to start the final stage of its journey to Macarius’ Citadel of Bone in an attempt to conquer it. With the Citadel down, the land of Desoloth ta’Pah, or the Diamond Dunes, would be all theirs. At least, that is what Chieftain Kotho believed.

Knowing the tribe would soon head out, leaving the comfort of the oasis, Ercil knew he had no time to waste. He had to act quickly.

As soon as the last injured warrior left the shaman’s tent, Ercil looked around, making sure no one was there to disturb him. Swift as the wind, he slipped from behind the trees and into the tent, catching Vaunga off guard. The ancient woman was grinding some dried herbs into powder when she saw the tent open. The next thing she knew, a curved, sharp blade was pointed at her, the cold tip of it barely touching her throat.

She made no moves, merely looking up so that her old, tired eyes met Ercil’s vibrant ones. Contrary to the young man’s expectations, she did not seem afraid. It was as if she was prepared to take whatever life would throw her way.

“I should kill you right now,” Ercil spat angrily.

“Do not be hasty, young one,” Vaunga spoke slowly, her gaze dropping from the man’s face to the sabre in front of her. “Make sure you do not regret your actions later.”

“I heard you talking to Dakon. You intend to betray us all! Why?”

“Why?” the woman chuckled without a trace of humor in her voice. “What do I have to lose when I have already lost everything? All because of this cursed tribe.”

Turning her head away from him, the shaman continued calmly grinding the dried leaves in her little stone dish.

“I can’t let that happen,” Ercil spoke, approaching her and once again placing the sabre under her throat.

“And after you kill me, what then?” Vaunga asked, looking at him and waiting to see if he would realize what she already knew. “Your father expects me to protect the tribe from Macarius’ magic. When he finds me dead, who do you think he will suspect? The person who already attempted to sabotage him.”

His hand shaking, Ercil put the sabre down. He stared at the shaman with burning hatred, wishing he could cut her down right then and there, but he knew she was right. As soon as Kotho finds her dead body, he will know exactly who killed her. With that, Ercil might as well have signed the death sentence for him and Magana. Even if he was willing to sacrifice his own life, he could not risk his loved one dying.

At that moment, the faintest of smiles appeared on the old woman’s thin lips as she observed the powerless young man standing in front of her.

“You can do nothing but return to your woman and hope for the best,” she advised him, the note of victory evident in her voice. “Pray that Macarius will be kind enough to finish you off quickly.”

Without a single word, Ercil sheathed his sabre and left the tent, the shaman’s laughter echoing in his head. The rest of the afternoon was a long one. The young man could not calm down even after a heartfelt talk with Magana. What would happen with the two of them, the future they had planned? What would happen with his mother? He had no answers. People he cared about would die and there was nothing he could do about it.

When the darkness finally began to settle on the oasis, its inhabitants were disturbed by the commotion. The tribe was finally leaving. All of the Mataki men and women gathered outside, leaving their tents. Their chanting and the clanging of their weapons filled the air.

Ercil and Magana reluctantly joined the rest of the tribe. Aside from Vaunga and General Dakon, the two of them were the only ones who knew they were about to fight a battle they were unlikely to win. The rest of the tribe seemed ready to fight, or at least just ready to leave the oasis and move on. They were a nomadic tribe, not used to being in one place for too long. Constantly travelling and waging battles was in their blood.

Kotho was a strong chieftain and effective speaker. He knew how to rile his people up and make them believe they were larger than life, destined for deeds that would be remembered for generations. However, so were most of the chieftains before him, and Vaunga had seen many of them.

As he stood on the sidelines, yet close enough to his parents, Ercil had his eyes on the shaman. The old woman scanned the crowd, her eyes lingering on Kotho. Her expression was unreadable, yet Ercil knew she was a fraud.

His attention was suddenly drawn away from her when his father spoke, his thundering voice exciting the mass.

“Brave men and women of the Mataki tribe,” Kotho shouted. He stood in front of everyone, raising his battle axe in the air. His wife Letha stood next to him. She was silent, and Ercil could tell she was putting on a brave face. “Are you prepared to write a new page of history? Are you ready to become conquerors?”

Everyone shouted affirmatively in unison.

“Thanks to all of you, the name of Mataki will go down as the greatest tribe of this kingdom, for only the final battle remains! Once we have conquered the Citadel of Bone, this entire land will be ours! The Diamond Dunes and all of its riches will be ours for the taking!”

The crowd was in a frenzy, raising their weapons and screaming with excitement. They could almost feel the blood and the wealth in the air. Whatever Kotho was promising them, they wanted it.

“Follow me! The Citadel of Bone… IS OURS!!!”

My sincere thanks to everyone who is reading this story! ^_^ 
Copyright © 2019 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

And fuck Cassandra for assisting. Her name rhymes with punch her in the vagina and that's exactly what they should do to her for being in on this ridiculous plan.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..