Jump to content
    Oliver Dean
  • Author
  • 736 Words
  • 771 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unstitched - 1. Chapter 1

I caught a glimpse of the tip of one of his wings one night. His head sat level with my chest, and behind him, long white feathers stuck out, their fraying, grey and black edges flapping slightly like treetops in a breeze with each of his gentle movements. He seemed to have his hands inside me, although how I do not know as I could see no hole. Below his wrists, where his hands should have been, the limbs simply ended. I felt a sting of pain in my chest as his tongue ran over his lips, his eyes, large and distorted through old-fashioned spectacles, focused on his work.

"What are you doing?" I asked, and, blinking, he looked up at my face.

"You are not supposed to be able to see this," he whispered, a drop of sweat trickling down his cheek.

"But I can," I said.

"Let me show you," he said, closing his eyes for a moment.

The hairy chest skin around his hands flickered, then vanished, leaving a hole above my heart. By raising my head slightly off the pillow, I could see his fingers moving deep inside my own chest cavity. He had his hands on my heart, and he moved them away, exposing another, large red, beating heart next to it. The two hearts appeared to be attached by an uncountable number of tiny stitched threads which plunged in and out of the flesh. As I watched, he put his hands back inside and dug his long nails in under the strings. He caught a single stitch with the edge of a fingernail, and I gasped at the sharp bite of pain.

"Ow," I cried out. "Be careful, that really hurts."

"Sorry. But you have to admit, you really made a right mess of this one, didn't you, Michael?" he said.

Ever so slowly, the stitch came loose and, as he pulled it, the combined mass of threads rippled like a freshly caught fish. He gave the string a tug so that the single strand slowly came away, leaving hundreds of tiny pinpricks of blood where before it had dived under the flesh of our two organs.

"What do you mean I made a mess of it? You're the one plucking threads from my heart," I asked, watching as he pulled out a pair of golden scissors, and snipped the thread away.

"You and Harry. You had everything going for you. Love, a good life, plans, but then you had to go screw around and he found out. Don't worry, I'm not here to blame you. I'm a simple worker, here to undo your handiwork, and help you prepare for the next man."

"Is that Harry's heart there next to mine, then?" I asked, staring down inside myself.

"Of course. What do you think happens when you dedicate your life to someone? Your hearts slowly bind together, stitched up tightly with threads of mutual dedication and love. You can't break them, Michael. They have to be pulled out slowly, millimeter by slow millimeter."

"So is that why I can't move on? Why I lie at night thinking of him, remembering what I did and why we broke up, going over every recrimination, every hurled insult again and again until I think I'm going to scream?"

"Exactly. But as I said, I'm working on it. It's long, arduous work, though. And excruciatingly painful for you and Harry, as you well know. No one has ever witnessed it before, either. I doubt you'll see me again, but if you remember one thing from our meeting, let it be this. Don't get into a relationship lightly, and don't leave it lightly either, because the more hearts you tie yours, the more complex my job gets. Some people's knotted hearts are so entangled it's impossible to see where one heart ends and another begins. Those ones I don't even begin to touch. Now, go back to sleep. I have a lot more work to do before morning."

I watched him bend back down. A bald patch crowned his head, and I wondered how he had ended up with such an unpleasant job. I closed my eyes, feeling the burning sensation of his pinching fingers on my heart fade as I fell into a deep sleep.

Copyright © 2021 Oliver Dean; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..