Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 7,353 Words
  • 1,970 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Ocean Walk - 2. The Ocean Walk. Part 2.

The Ocean Walk.

PART 2.

Yes. He was breathing, but there was something strange about the look on his face. There was no time to wait. They had to get out of here, and, with the vertical cliffs extending each way, the only safe place was further out in the ocean. Grabbing Jarrad in a rescue hold, Joel struck out with all the strength and energy he could muster, gradually increasing the distance from the death-trap of the cliff face. Every metre was important, and as several small waves went past, Joel couldn't believe how lucky they were to have this break in the larger swells. Twenty metres, thirty metres, and Joel's heart was pounding at an incredible rate with the effort of moving two bodies at once. At forty metres Joel felt Jarrad start to struggle and then he grabbed him in a tight hug as a bigger wave broke over them. Jarrad kicked and swam for the surface and as they both gasped in air, Joel yelled.

"We've got to get out past the break."

Every moment still counted, but now they were moving much more quickly, and Joel was starting to feel they might be safe when he saw a huge wave building further out. Jarrad saw it too and they both swam towards it as fast as they could. At the last instant they dived deep to try and keep out of the turbulence, then came up in a whirling mass of bubbling white water. Great gasping breaths of air and a glance to get his bearings, showed Joel that Jarrad was still with him, though several metres behind. They both kept going and after diving under a follow-up wave Joel knew they would be safe.

Another thirty metres and they relaxed. Only a particularly giant wave would break on them here and they'd have enough warning to swim even further out to get under it. Joel moved next to Jarrad and just floated till his breathing and heart slowed to reasonable rates.

"What are we going to do? There's nowhere to get out."

Joel could hear the fear in Jarrad's voice, but he didn't look like he was in a panic.

"Yes there is. It's just going to take us a long time. How are you feeling?"

"I'm scared as hell."

Joel gave him a grin.

"Well I was too a minute ago, but now I feel relatively safe. How come you fell in?"

"I was holding a big piece of rock but when I went to pull myself up it just came out of the cliff."

"Well we'll talk about it later. Did you bang your head or something?"

Joel watched Jarrad feel around his head.

"I can't feel anything wrong."

"All right. The sooner we start moving the better."

Joel took his t-shirt and shorts off then followed these with his runners.

"We have to get rid of them Jarrad. It could make all the difference. Just leave your jocks on. Everything else will slow you down. We can easily get out at the beach near the camp as long as we can get there."

"Joel. It's kilometres away. I'll never make it."

"Of course you will. We'll just take it slowly. This isn't hard for you is it? Floating I mean. Whenever we get tired we just stop and relax. Come on. Everything off. Those baggy shorts will use up far too much energy."

Jarrad laughed a little as he took the shorts off.

"Well. I'm sprung again. I didn't wear any jocks today. I often don't when the sun's hot."

As soon as they started swimming Joel stopped them again.

"No freestyle. It uses twice as much energy as the other strokes. Only use lifesaving backstroke where your arms stay under the water, or breaststroke or side-stroke"

Slowly they moved through the water and after 200 metres Joel stopped.

"We'll float and relax for a few moments whenever we feel like it. Okay? And keep your head as low in the water as you can."

Joel pulled his own jocks off because they were so loose and saggy in the water, and very annoying when they kept slipping down. At a snail's pace they crept through the water, talking occasionally and watching the rocks and cliff-face to judge the progress which didn't seem to be happening. After several hours Joel could see that Jarrad was losing his will.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm feeling too cold Joel. I'm not used to being in the water without my wetsuit and I don't think I'm going to make it."

"Yes you are. We're nearly there. Look. You can see the sandy beach up there now. We'll keep moving slowly and that will keep your body warmer.

Joel was feeling the cold creeping into his own body, but he wasn't facing quite the same fears as Jarrad. He knew he could make it easily and he also knew that the cold wouldn't affect him really badly for a while yet. Further they went, and Joel could see the end of the rocks approaching. When Jarrad ran out of reserves Joel swam next to him.

"Hold my shoulder's and let me pull you along. That's it. But don't push down."

On his back Joel kept up a steady frog-kick and an underwater sculling action with his hands. Another couple of hundred metres passed and just when Joel wondered whether he'd have to stop, Jarrad somehow rallied and started swimming by himself again. Another hundred metres and Joel angled towards the shore.

"Here we are Jarrad. All we have to do is make it in."

As they moved, the swells started to lift and crest into breaking waves, but now they were friends as they carried the two bodies to safety rather than death. Joel was tempted to bodysurf the last little bit but knew that Jarrad was past being able to get the energy to kick off, so he stayed near him till they were able to stand, in water up to their chests. He wrapped his arm round Jarrad and supported him the rest of the way out till they both dropped on the sand where it first got dry. After a couple of minutes Joel dragged Jarrad up again.

"Just a bit further so we're out of the breeze, and the sun will warm us faster."

They moved to the shelter of a hollow in the dunes and sat down again. Joel relaxed now and closed his eyes for a moment's rest. When he felt Jarrad's head rest on his chest he moved his arm to hold him close, then let the warmth of the sun chase the cold and worry from his body. Eventually he felt Jarrad stirring and opened his eyes.

Two dark brown eyes were staring back at him, and they stayed that way till Joel started to feel uncomfortable with the intensity of the look and stood up. Before he knew what was happening two strong arms clasped round him and pulled him tight in a hug.

What a shock.

They were both naked and Joel felt sparks of heat and cold run through his body at the strange sensation. He wondered what it meant, and didn't know what to do as the embrace went on and on.

"What. -- Ah. -- Um. What are you doing?"

"Joel. You saved my life at least twice today. I can't believe what you did for me."

Joel saw some tears in Jarrad's eyes and it felt right to return the hug for a moment, but then his body created an even bigger problem. He felt a stirring in his groin and a kind of fear in his mind. He needed to turn away from Jarrad, but he also knew that it was the wrong thing to do in the situation, and as he felt himself stiffening all he could do was apologise.

"I'm sorry Jarrad. It's just happening."

For a few instants Joel could tell that Jarrad had no idea what he was talking about, but the problem was quickly growing more obvious with every second. The emotional look on Jarrad's face froze and then transformed into laughter.

"Oh my God. This is so good I don't believe it. Well this is your payback for tricking me yesterday."

What was he talking about? Joel tried to pull apart but Jarrad just tightened his grip more. Oh no. Joel realised that Jarrad was enjoying his embarrassment and wasn't going to let go. He struggled, and by now he'd pumped enough blood that he felt himself go vertical. Jarrad clung like a leech and when Joel tried falling to the sand it just made things worse, because now he was on his back with Jarrad pressing against him.

"Now that's a murder weapon for sure."

Joel felt his face turn fiery red.

"Please Jarrad. Let me go."

"What? Don't you like it? Oh My God. Let me let you go."

Joel heard the echo of his own words from the day before and the humor of the payback rushed through him. At least this was easier to sort out than the emotion of a few minutes before, and in a kind of way he understood that it was a great help to Jarrad as well.

"I don't know about King Neptune. I think King Richard suits better don't you?"

Joel started walking towards the camp-site with Jarrad moving backwards in front of him.

"What a sight. It's bigger than the flagpole at Parliament House. Count the Mud Men out and bring in those guys who wear a big sheath. They're from New Guinea too aren't they?"

This guy knew too much, the camp-site was too far away, and Joel wished the blood would move to different areas of his body. Soon they were dressed and had a cooking fire going.The day was far from over because Joel had to go and collect his day-pack. With his good camera in it, there was no way he was going to leave it there overnight. Jarrad watched as Joel dropped a packet of noodles into the billy.

"You're going back now? I don't believe it. You must be made of steel. Well I'm coming with you then."

Another packet of noodles went in the boiling water and by the time they'd made a drink of tea as well, they were feeling much, much better.

"Jarrad. Are you going like that?"

"They were my only pair of shorts Joel. Who ever expects to lose their trousers on a hike?"

Joel had a spare pair of light blue running shorts, but he decided to keep them for a few days and let Jarrad wander around in the bright red boxers he was now wearing. With only the one objective, it took just an hour and half to get back with the day pack, but it was still 7:30 pm before they started making the evening meal and the light was fading by the time they headed for the tent. They didn't even bother to talk or worry about the next day and Joel was so wrecked he actually slept longer than Jarrad the next morning. He woke up when Jarrad sat on him. At least he did it gently.

"Don't move. You'll knock your coffee over."

"Coffee? Where did that come from?"

"You'd better drink some so that you wake up enough to know what's going on. I made it of course."

"You made it? What's wrong? Do we have to hike a long way or something?"

"Joel. It's half past nine. The morning's almost over, as you keep telling me. I've been awake for nearly an hour."

Joel had a sip of his coffee and it was delicious but he couldn't drink it.

"Let me up Jarrad. I'm totally busting for a leak and the coffee is too hot."

Jarrad laughed and said he couldn't see the connection, then laughed again when Joel hobbled off like an old man.

"God. I'm aching all over."When he got back he climbed under his sleeping bag and promptly had Jarrad sit on him again.

"Aagh. I'm being steamrollered."

"Suffer. And drink your coffee. It's better than when you make it."

It was too.

"How come you were in the water with me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you didn't fall in did you?"

"Ah. No."

"You jumped in after me and pulled me all that way. You shouldn't have."

"Jarrad. You didn't come up, so something was wrong. If I went in you had a chance and if I didn't there was none."

"Joel. You could have been smashed against the rocks. We were watching those big waves break. You know what they were like."

"No. I thought I'd be all right. I'm a good swimmer and we had to wait for the big ones, remember."

"What happened?"

"Well, I watched you hit the water and then you didn't come up, so I took my pack off and jumped."

"Didn't that scare you? It was a long way down."

"No. I've done that before and the only thing you have to worry about is landing the right way. Anyway as soon as I went in I saw you and pulled you straight up. You started breathing thank God. But you looked really strange. I reckon you must have been unconscious. I just towed you out and you came to life right at the important time. You did everything else for yourself then."

"I did not. I went funny again and you pulled me along. I would have just stopped, but you made me feel so ashamed I got going again."

"Jarrad. I couldn't believe it when you did that. You had hypothermia you know. You're meant to just give up when you reach that stage."

"How come you didn't get it?"

"I was. It was starting to worry me at the end. That sun felt like the best thing in the world when we conked out in the dune. Is there any more coffee?"

"You're changing the subject aren't you? What will we do today?"

"Let's go to the next camp-site so we're at a new place, as long as we can get there by two o'clock, and then do nothing for the rest of the day."

This worked to perfection, except they arrived at three o'clock. They set the tent up near a small creek so there was nothing left to worry about, even though it only took about ten minutes, then went and relaxed on the sand of another beautiful bay. Jarrad stripped off and then grinned.

"Come on Joel you too. I know you do it when you're by yourself."

Joel stared at him.

"How could you know that?"

"I didn't really, but I do now don't I?"

"That's sneaky."

"Come on."

"I'm shy."

"Oh yeah. We'll I've seen it all. That's for sure."

Joel couldn't help laughing, and as he really had wanted to, this seemed like a good time, and his red speedos dropped near his towel. Lying on his stomach was a good way to start but soon he was on his back and wanting to sleep.

"Hey Jarrad. If I go to sleep will I get any water or cold objects dumped on me?"

"No."

Good. Jarrod was going to sleep too.

 

One eye blinked open as Joel's thoughts surfaced. The sun felt so nice and he rolled to his side to shift position. His eyes focused on Jarrad. Sound asleep. Joel's brain registered even more.

Oh my God. This was perfect. What a payback.

As quietly as he could Joel got up and went to the tent for his camera.Please don't move. Please don't wake up before I get back. Yes. He was still lying there, one hand lightly cupping his groin and a full stiffie poking to one side. He must be having a pretty good dream, but how to wake him? Joel knelt close and softly started tickling Jarrad's side. He stopped as soon as Jarrad wriggled and moved, then started again. Another wriggle and this time Jarrad's hand tightened on his groin.

Oh yes. This was almost too good to be true.

Another tickle and this time Jarrad made a tiny groan. Another tickle and Joel could see that Jarrad was getting restless. Time to wake him up. Holding the camera close to Jarrad's face, Joel pressed the test button on the pop-up flash and called out.

"Smile. You're on candid camera."

When Jarrad's eyes opened Joel moved back and raised the camera again.

"Could you move that hand a bit? It's been in the way for some of my shots."

Comprehension flared, and when Jarrad dived onto his stomach Joel headed to the tent and packed his camera away.

"Hi. King Richard the second."

"Joel. You didn't really take photos did you?"

"Maybe. Maybe not. But don't worry. You can have copies. I might put some on exhibition. I've been trying to think of a good title. What about, the Eiffel Tower? Or the handyman experience? I know. Jack of all trades. How's that sound?"

Joel was totally enjoying the look on Jarrad's face.

"What... Was... Um.... Happening?"

"Well. It must have been a pretty good dream. Are you coming in for a swim?"

Jarrad answered with a trapped look on his face.

"Um. Soon."

"What? You're not shy are you? I've seen it all you know."

Joel went into the water, and before too long Jarrad came in as well. After about twenty minutes he decided the waves were fairly good and went out to use his surfboard. Joel wandered off with his camera and when he got back he couldn't see any sign of Jarrad, till a flash of red caught his eye and he saw him waving from some rocks at the other end of the bay.

What was he doing? When Joel got close enough he could see he was fishing with a hand line.

"Look what I've caught Joel. Two nice fish and I've only been here for ten minutes. Can you grab my knife there, and look for some mussels. I've nearly run out and they've worked well as bait so far."

Just as Joel got back Jarrad yelled and pulled in another fish.

"It's not very big but this kind is delicious. Here. You take the line while l fillet these."

Nothing seemed to be happening for Joel, which he thought was typical, till just as Jarrad was finishing the fillets he felt a strong tug. Joel jerked the line and felt quite excited as he pulled in another fish like the last one, but twice as big.

"Oh. What a beauty. We'll have a feast tonight."

And they did. Jarrad cooked and they stuffed themselves, because after all their dehydrated food the fresh fish was totally delicious.

"One more piece. We can't waste it."

Jarrad cut the piece in half and Joel jabbed it with his fork. He'd reached the stage where he wanted more but his stomach was full.

"This is too good Jarrad. I think you're trying to make me burst because of the Eiffel Tower photos."

"No way. I'll think of something much more drastic for that."

They pulled the maps out and discussed the next day's hike before setting the billy boiling for a drink of tea.

"There's too many good places along here. I feel like staying here again tomorrow."

"We could if you like. I don't have a deadline to keep, so it's up to you."

"Let's stay then. I've got a week up my sleeve and who knows when we'll ever get back here again."

They drank their tea straight out of the billy, which Joel liked because it felt kind of companionable, then wandered down to the water's edge to watch the light changing as the sun disappeared below the horizon. After a clean up, they moved into the tent and Joel took his shorts off, ready for sleep. It was still too warm to get under the sleeping bags so they both relaxed on top.

"Next tent I get I'll make sure there's an opening in both ends, so the air can flow through."

Jarrad was in a lively, talkative mood and started asking questions about Joel's photography and what he wanted to do when he finished his course. All of a sudden he moved and sat on Joel's stomach the same as he had in the morning.

"Aagh. Steamrollered again."

"Well you deserve it. What's on those photos you took today?"

"Today? Well there were some interesting rock shapes, and I got some good ones of the waves crashing onto a cleft in the reef. Oh. No. Don't. Please. I'm too full."

Joel grabbed at Jarrad's hands which were digging into the base of his ribs but he wasn't strong enough to stop him.

"Come on. Tell me or I'll torture you."

Joel stopped resisting because he knew he'd won anyhow.

"Do you mean the bit with the erection of the Eiffel Tower?"

"Very funny."

"I know what that saying about getting a good grip of yourself means now, but I guess you're most worried about the action bit."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm too shy to say."

Jarrad's hands started poking again and in the middle of his laughter Joel managed to wriggle on his side and tip Jarrad off.

"Stop and I'll tell you."

"Promise?"

Joel laughed and nodded. This was the best bit.

"All that squeezing and groaning and rubbing? Don't worry about it. I won't tell anyone. I'll keep it a secret for you, especially since I made it all up. I didn't take any photos either."

"The flash went off."

"Just the test button. I only woke up just before you did."

" You mongrel. You really had me going you know."

Jarrad flopped on his back and rested his head against Joel.

"So now I'm your pillow?"

"Yes. You're a really nice one, so don't move."

Joel thought it felt nice too, and they stayed in the same position talking till they fell asleep.

The next day was hot. The breeze built up from the North and they spent the morning in and out of the surf. Jarrad was ecstatic because the waves were big and the offshore breeze meant they came in nice and evenly. At two o'clock they set off west along a rocky platform to explore and for Joel to take photos. They found some neat rock-pools to swim in and collected a couple of abalone shells. Jarrad got really excited when Joel discovered an octopus in one of the smaller pools.

"Get some photos Joel. It's beautiful."

It certainly was, with its dark, purplish red colouring, and they watched as it constantly moved around the edges of the pool.

"It's trapped Joel. I think it's trying to find a way out when there isn't one. It'll be all right when the tide comes in. Did you know they communicate with each other by changing their colors?"

They spent ages watching. Jarrad's fascination and curiosity was quite contagious and when they started to make their way back towards camp, Joel found he was looking in the pools with extra interest. Jarrad looked up at the sky.

"It looks like there might be a change coming. Let's get moving"

Increasingly aware of the dark clouds building, they made their way back, but with still about half an hour of walking to do they were caught in a downpour. They ran to shelter, mainly because Joel was worried about his camera getting wet, and waited for fifteen minutes till the pelting rain stopped.

"Boy. That came out of nowhere. Let's get moving."

They stopped when they reached the fishing spot, tried their luck again, and were rewarded with three good-sized fish, which Jarrad quickly cleaned and filleted.

"We can stay as long as we like Joel. As long as you're happy to eat fish."

As they approached the camp-site Jarrad started groaning.

"Oh no. My sleeping bag. I completely forgot about it. It'll be drenched."

They found it blown onto the sand from where Jarrad had draped it over a shrub to air out in the morning, a sodden, soggy, sandy mess.

"God. Look at this. It will take ages to dry out."

Like Joel, Jarrad had a high-quality feather down sleeping bag. The lightest to carry and the warmest to sleep in, their only failing was the trouble they caused if they got wet and the tiny down feathers soaked up water. Jarrad laughed.

"I don't believe it. I've never had so many things happen on a hike before. My backpack will be empty by the time I finish at this rate. First my shoelace then my water bottle, my reef sandals, my shirt and my shorts. It's going to take all day tomorrow to dry this out."

They squeezed as much water out as they could, hung the bag where the breeze would blow on it, then made their meal. Once again it was delicious and Joel was amazed at how well Jarrad could cook.

"Jarrad. Were eating like kings and we're in the middle of nowhere."

This eventful day meant that it was quite dark by the time they cleaned up and settled in the tent for the night. When Jarrad sat on Joel's stomach again, he didn't last long.

"Behave yourself. I've got the perfect control over you now. On your knees and beg forgiveness or the Eiffel Tower will be freezing in the night while I hog the sleeping bag for myself."

Joel woke to the sound of the tent flapping in the wind. A second sound of light raindrops made him scramble out. It was almost pitch black but he found his way to the sleeping bag, bundled it up and stored it in a plastic garbage bag from the top compartment of his rucksack. His camera was already in his rucksack and he covered that with the waterproof cover he carried, then woke Jarrad.

"What's happening?"

"It's starting to rain again. Have you got a cover for your rucksack? No. Don't get up I can do it."

Jarrad got up anyhow because Joel couldn't find his things in the dark.

"I've put your sleeping bag in a garbage bag so you don't have to worry about it."

Quickly they checked and tightened all the tent pegs and dived back under Joel's sleeping bag. With the sprinkle of rain on their skin and the wind blowing they felt quite cool, and automatically snuggled closer together to make sure the sleeping bag covered them both. For a while they listened as the wind got stronger but then it started to die down.

"I'm glad we've got proper pegs. I think the tent would have collapsed by now without them."

Joel felt the warmth of Jarrad's body pressing against him and as the wind died, the rain got heavier and the air gradually cooled.

"You're so warm Joel. I hope you don't mind if I keep close. My back gets cold if I don't."

Joel listened to the rain on the tent and felt strange with Jarrad so close to him. After a while he thought Jarrad was asleep, so it was quite a surprise when his arm moved over and his hand rested on Joel's stomach. The strange feeling grew even stronger and the skin on Joel's stomach felt hot where Jarrad was touching him.

The same thing happened as on the beach when Jarrad hugged him, and once again he was trapped. This time he couldn't move because it might wake Jarrad, and anyhow there was nowhere to go. Now there was another problem. As he got harder he felt himself start to touch Jarrad's hand through his jocks, so he gave a little wriggle to try and move it.

Half in panic and half in humour at his predicament, Joel realised that Jarrad was now in exactly the same position he'd been on the beach, except that it was Joel's balls that were cupped. Frozen motionless, with his heart pounding and his dick throbbing, Joel wondered if maybe this was a kind of habit with Jarrad. The panic part of the equation gradually disappeared and the feeling of pleasure took its place, till Joel gradually softened and felt sleep creeping over him.

He woke again to the sound of heavy rain and felt Jarrad move against him. When he opened his eyes and moved his head, straight away he heard Jarrad's soft voice.

"Are you awake Joel?"

"Mmm. What's the time?"

"It's about seven o'clock. Roll the other way. I'm dying to shift position."

Joel was about to do this then realised he couldn't.

"Ah. In a minute."

After a few seconds he jumped when he felt Jarrad checking him out.

"Ha. So you've got a morning woody. Well I don't care. Mine's already been and gone, so roll over or else I'll pull the sleeping bag with me."

When the sleeping bag started to move Joel realised he had no choice, so we shifted to his back and then his other side. As soon he was in this position Jarrad wriggled right back against him and gave a little laugh.

"It feels like a good one again Joel. Give me your arm."

Joel's arm was pulled across and held so that his hand was tucked against Jarrad's chest.

"There that's nice and cosy again. You feel so nice and warm. I'm going back to sleep again so don't move."

"Yes Boss."

Maybe Jarrad went to sleep but Joel didn't.

Now he'd been woken he knew he wouldn't anyway. His boner was taking up all his attention and he wished it would go away, even if it did feel good. What if Jarrad woke up and he still had it? Every time he thought it was going, Jarrad seemed to stir in his sleep and the movement would set him off again. After ages it did go away and Joel lay quietly thinking and listening to the rain splattering on the tent.

Jarrad sat up suddenly.

"I can't hold on any longer."

He unzipped the fly, dashed out into the rain, then was diving back inside a moment later, dripping wet. He stripped his soaked boxers off, swabbed himself dry with his t-shirt and scrambled back under the sleeping bag.

"Oh boy. It's pouring out there. Let me back in the warm nest."

Joel screeched because not only was he wet from Jarrad's hair, he also had the sleeping bag pulled almost right off him.

"What a wimp. You wait till you go out there."

After a tussle over the sleeping bag they got arranged and comfortable again. Jarrad was wide awake now and he got livelier and livelier as the time went on.

"What are we going to do for breakfast? All the food's in the rucksacks and I'm not going out there again while the rain is this heavy."

"Share my scroggin. I put it in the tent in case I got the munchies during the night. There's enough to keep us going."

They had a couple of handfuls each of the hiker's energy food mixture of nuts, chocolate pieces, toasted muesli and dried fruit then disappeared back under the sleeping bag. The rain poured down for another three hours which Joel would never forget. Jarrad kept him laughing most of the time and they shared stories about adventures in their lives. Joel also discovered that Jarrad was stronger than him and knew all sorts of sneaky tricks when he was held down and teased mercilessly with tickling and poking.

"Oh My God. I'm trapped with a naked maniac."

He'd just lost an arm wrestling contest with Jarrad and had to sit with his little finger up his nostril for five minutes as a penalty, with Jarrad in his favourite position sitting on his stomach.

"Next time you have to promise to let me take a photo as well."

When Joel had to go out in the rain for a leak, he very sensibly took his jocks off so they wouldn't get wet, but they somehow mysteriously disappeared by the time he got back, and now Jarrad carried on about being trapped in a tent with a naked King Richard.

"I'm an innocent and my mind has to try and cope with that monster."

At about 11 o'clock the rain stopped and they emerged from the tent. After half an hour of sorting things, finally having some breakfast, and watching the weather, they decided to pack up and move on. The sky gradually cleared as they hiked along the rocks they'd explored the day before, and then up to the cliff-tops through a difficult section with thick scrub. Every time they brushed past some vegetation, drops of water were shaken loose and before long they were saturated. They took it in turns to lead the way because the one in front had to put up with a mini shower whenever a tree or shrub was bumped and Joel complained, wishing it was drier.

"You should think of it like I do Joel. In my mind I have a picture of all the roots of the plants drinking up every bit of water they can manage. Just imagine it. There must be billions of plants that have been waiting for this rain and it's bringing life to every one of them. They can't just go searching for a drink like we do."

He laughed.

"Am I converting you?"

Joel thought the same way really but Jarrod made all the nature stuff more interesting with his enthusiasm and knowledge. He still complained when a branch sent drops of water into his hair and down the back of his neck but he was smiling about it, and to stir Jarrad, he started apologising to the shrubs for taking their water.

"You're a nut Joel. Now you're talking to the plants."

Jarrad's luck with his clothing continued when his boxers caught on the stub of a broken branch and the silky material ripped away at the front.

"Great. I'll be walking naked with a pack on my back at this rate."

"You're nude most of the time anyway. I don't think it would worry you."

He laughed.

"It doesn't, except it will be interesting when we have to hitch-hike back to the cars. I've only got two pairs of jocks and my speedos left. I'll have to wear the wet suit."

Joel nearly gave him the blue shorts, but once again, decided to wait a couple more days.

The cliff-tops were easy walking as the vegetation was very low and sparse, and they would have made good time, except that the views were breathtaking and Joel kept stopping for photographs. The cliffs started to lose height and from a vantage point they could see a huge sandy beach extending way into the distance. A look at the maps showed a creek near the eastern end, and then the next creek 12 kilometres further on. They both agreed the first creek was the best idea.

They headed for the ocean after quickly setting up the tent. Joel swam and body-surfed and after about an hour Jarrad came in, raving about how good the waves were.

"We have to stay here tomorrow. It's the only way my sleeping bag will get to dry out."

He pulled his wet suit off and relaxed in the afternoon sun for twenty minutes, then headed out to the waves again. Joel watched and thought he looked magical, the way he shot across the waves, flipping round to change direction and choosing the right spot to keep going. Grabbing his camera he headed for the rocks at the start of the cliffs. After their meal they talked then headed into the tent. Jarrad pulled his speedos off, automatically snuggled close to Joel, then moved his arm and rested it on Joel's chest.

"You don't mind do you Joel? It keeps me from rolling over and pulling the sleeping bag off."

"No. It feels kind of nice."

It did too, but as soon as he said it he wondered if he should have.

"Mmm. You feel nice too. See you in the morning."

Joel thought for a while then faded off to sleep. He woke with a lovely erotic feeling and moved his boner a couple of times, till he woke even more and realised with a shock that Jarrad's hand was once again in his groin, and in fact was lightly clasped around him. Oh well. Too bad. He lay there for a while, feeling himself getting harder and harder and wanting to do something about it. No. It was too much. As quietly as he could he sneaked out of the tent and moved away a few metres. It was a quick wank but he really needed it.

He nearly climbed back in, but instead made a little fire and cooked some breakfast and then a big billy of coffee. He'd watched carefully the way Jarrad made it and was getting better. Taking a mug, Joel climbed into the tent. Jarrad was flat on his back and, Oh My God. He was doing it again. Joel pulled the sleeping bag off.

"Hey. It's coffee time for the Eiffel tower."

Jarrad took a few moments to realise what was happening, then fairly casually, pulled the sleeping bag back and laughed.

"I'll die of exposure. But at least there's no camera this time."

"Ha. I'm the one who's likely to die from that kind of exposure."

The day consisted of surfing and exploring. At about four in the afternoon Joel started to feel tired, then strange, and then bad. The sun was shining and warm but he felt so cold he headed for his sleeping bag. Before he reached the tent his stomach revolted and he threw up everything he'd been eating. Now feeling even worse, he crawled into the tent and curled up in his sleeping bag. Jarrad's voice broke through his misery.

"What's wrong?"

"Don't know. So cold."

Joel felt more weight on him, then he was half conscious of Jarrad's body warming him and then he didn't know anything.

Oh God. He felt bad. Where was he?

He went to sit up but Jarrad's arm was holding him down.

Jarrad?

The tent?

He tried to move again and this time he heard Jarrad's voice.

"Joel? Can you talk?""Yes. Of course I can. I'm thirsty."

"Don't move. I'll get you something."

Joel felt Jarrad getting up. Good. He closed his eyes then felt his head lifted and a mug held to his lips. A couple more times he woke up in total darkness and each time he felt Jarrad holding him. What was happening? Joel woke again and his mind climbed to full consciousness. He could feel a wonderful comforting warmth from Jarrad, who was pressing close the whole length of his body. He needed to have a leak but when he started to climb out of the tent, he felt so weak and dizzy he could hardly stand up. Jarrad's strong arm slipped round and Joel felt himself supported.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to pee. Don't want to do it in the tent."

With Jarrad's help he staggered a couple of metres, did his business, then moved back to the tent. As soon as he was lying down he felt Jarrad holding him again.

"Thanks Jarrad. I'm so tired."

The next time he woke he felt hot. The sun was shining, the tent felt stuffy, and he was dying for a drink. He opened his eyes to see Jarrad looking at him.

"How are you feeling?"

"Hot and thirsty."

Jarrad was out and back in an instant with some cold tea.

"Here. Try this."

Joel drank the tea gratefully then got out of the tent with Jarrad fussing around him.

"Do you think you can eat something?"

"No. Where's a shady place? I want to lie down again."

Jarrad grabbed the thermal pads and soon Joel was set up in a suitable spot.

"What happened Joel? I was so worried? Have you been like this before?"

"I don't know. I hardly ever get sick."

"You don't look too bad now and you've stopped feeling cold. I couldn't get you warm even with both sleeping bags and you frightened me with your shivering and moaning."

Joel dozed and relaxed for a few hours and when he woke up this time he was still feeling tired but much better.

"What have we got for food? I'm starving."

He saw a big smile grow on Jarrad's face.

"Well. That sounds better. Now let me have a look at you. I reckon you might have been bitten by a spider or maybe even a bush-tick."

Jarrad's hands worked their way carefully through Joel's hair and then he searched carefully over the rest of his body.

"I can't see anything. I'm glad it's not a tick because they can affect you for ages."

Joel's third last packet of noodles went into the billy and when he finished that he still felt hungry, but Jarrad made him wait for half an hour before eating anything else, when he devoured four dried biscuits.

"Nick off Jarrad. I'm not dying. Go on. Have a surf."

This brought another smile to Jarrad's face.

"Are you sure?"

Joel gave him a playful little punch on the arm.

"Yes. You haven't gone more than a couple of metres away from me all morning."

Joel sat on the sand and watched Jarrad on his board. Jarrad continually came out to check on him and after a few snoozes and more snacks Joel decided he felt like a swim himself. As soon as he went in, Jarrad was at his side and he surfed fairly lazily for half an hour before heading for the sand.

"How are you going? Has the swimming worn you out?"

It was time to let Jarrad know somehow that he was now feeling okay. Joel waited till Jarrad was stretched out and relaxed before diving over and sitting on his stomach.

"It's about time I did this. You've steamrollered me so many times."

Yes. The smile was flashing.

"It'll happen again soon, don't you worry."

"Not today thanks. I don't want to lose all my food again. Now. Thank you my friend for looking after me but I'm okay. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Okay. That's enough of the okays. I want to enjoy the sun and then have another swim."

"Okay."

Joel woke up when Jarrad dropped sand on his stomach.

"You've been asleep for an hour this time. Are you still going to have that swim?"

They had another burst of swimming and Joel felt all his energy coming back. When they got out he was starving.

"Good. We'll try to get some solid food for you. I'll grab a fishing line and we'll see what we can do."

They did very well at the rocks where the cliffs started and caught six fish, of which Jarrad threw two back straight away.

"Those ones don't taste so good and we're going to spoil ourselves tonight."

And they really did. Jarrad cooked to perfection and they both ate till there was nothing left.

"Oh man. That was so good. You're a genius Jarrad."

"I know."

Joel laughed.

"I mean it you idiot. Let's go for a walk down the beach for awhile."

The light from a giant red sun, setting just where the land and the sea met to the west of them, turned the shallow water at the ocean's edge to a brilliant color and they watched it companionably till the sun disappeared below the horizon, then headed back to the camp-site

"What will we have for a drink Joel? Tea or coffee?"

Make it coffee. It might keep me awake for a while but it just feels like the right drink at the moment."

END OF PART 2.

Copyright © 2011 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Definitely worth the read, but I'm sitting here trying to figure out what was wrong with Joel! Loving the story so far and now getting ready to go read Part III!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 02/01/2011 03:46 PM, Renee Stevens said:
Definitely worth the read, but I'm sitting here trying to figure out what was wrong with Joel! Loving the story so far and now getting ready to go read Part III!
Glad you're enjoying the story Renee.:) The sickness incident was also based on a real incident on one of my hikes. - not to me but to a mate. We have no idea what caused it really but suspect a spider bite.
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Thank goodness I've never gotten sick up in the woods. That'd be miserable. We have ticks everywhere too but I've never gotten sick from a bite. The rescue in the beginning was quite dramatic, I could almost hear the waves crashing over them as they struggled to get out of the break. The tension between Jarrad and Joel is just growing and growing. Great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..