Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 2,731 Words
  • 269 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luminosity-The Return (book 2) - 2. Chapter 2


**
Another boy ruptured and sped toward him. Henry flared, traveling rapidly forward to meet the attacker, and at the last second, released a deep blue countering lumin glow in front of him, propelling him backward. The attacking boy had never seen anything like this before; he panicked and tripped, tumbling out of control on the verge of serious injury. Henry was horrified. 'This boy may die!'

The plains exploded. A bright light temporarily blinded all present.
Tomas stood cradling the frightened boy.

Twm the strong had arrived in Dinas.
**

A thousand plainsrunners turned and silently stared at Tomas and the grateful, doe-eyed boy. One primary whooped. A scattering of other boys cheering joined him. Within seconds, all the plainsrunners present were shouting exclamations and clapping madly.

Word spread rapidly. Within minutes, the entire settlement knew Twm the strong was among them.

Everywhere Twm and Henry went, plainsrunners respectfully mobbed them. Some, particularly fledglings and novices, stared at them with expressions of wonder. Never had there been a plainsrunner like Twm the strong, yet he looked like any of the others frozen in a state of early adolescence for all the cycles he remained on the plains.

The next day, Twm and Henry were escorted to the dais by Uwchradd, Aneurin and other senior primaries to the place of honor to observe the Ymuno â ceremony.

The third day of Gwyl featured the Ymuno â ritual and the flaring display. Sixty-two pairs were preparing to participate in this cycle's ritual. No one remembered a more significant number of plainsrunners joining in Ymuno â. Perhaps it was due to the Divulgence of the cycle before.

The ceremony was beautiful and touching as each boy and his phalanx pleaded in song for the boys' offer of bonding to be accepted. As was usual, all offers were accepted without hesitation. The flaring display filled the plains with beautiful lumin flairs, each couple more magnificent than the last.

Tomas drew Henry into a hug and whispered into his ear. "Do you remember last Gwyl?"

How could he forget? Henry remembered seeing Tomas in the crowd below the dais after an entire cycle of separation, and he decided on the spot to plead for acceptance. It was risky because, in recent history, both parties agreed to bond before the ceremony. Henry's phalanx was reluctant to support him, fearing a devastating rejection. They decided to sing for him when they realized how determined he was. Tomas didn't accept immediately, unwilling to subject Henry to the long and brutal life he was obliged to follow. They looked into each other's souls and united in Ymuno â.

As was tradition, the newly formed couples demonstrated their love for each other by unrestrained production of lumin flares. The display was the only occasion plainsrunners exuded this much of the power of the stars. During the flaring display, the plainsrunners of Dinas learned that Twm, the strong of the ancient legends, still ran on the plains. The overwhelming power and intensity of Twm's display that day was forever called the Divulgence.

Henry said. "I remember the gorffwys too."

Besides the Divulgence during the flaring display, that gorffwys Tomas and Henry consummated their new status as bonded mates in an intimate way. The boys of the phalanx all giggled and snickered when Thomas and Henry left the group for private time. Henry was even more nervous than earlier that day during their run on the plains. All the boys of the phalanx sang songs of love in honor of the couple and to provide privacy in case the lovemaking became too noisy to preserve modesty. Not that they, as typical healthy teens, wouldn't love to listen in, but the singing was a tradition and an important sign of respect.

Tomas was understanding and patient. Still, it was awkward, it was amusing, it was unforgettable and extraordinary.


Focusing on the current festivities, Tomas said. "A hundred and twenty-four plainsrunners will have fun this gorffwys."

"Make that a hundred and twenty-six!"

Henry blushed.

As was customary on the last day of Gwyl, the plainsrunners whose days on the plains were at an end would return to the mangeni of their birth. Cadan was returning to the Carreg mangeni. Although he would typically have many more cycles to run, the devastating reduction in the population of the Carreg settlement encouraged every available plainsrunner to return to the mangeni to breed daughters and future plainsrunners. The entire phalanx would accompany Cadan to Carreg after the end of Gwyl.

Also, on the last day, new fledglings would nervously make their way from the mangeni of their birth to the settlement of Dinas and the plains beyond. They all knew they would not return to the mangeni until their time on the plains was finished. There, they would join a phalanx and run on the vast plains for the first time. Each of the boys carried a personally selected pebble to implant in the wall just before the portal that opened up to the settlement of Dinas. When it was time to return to the mangeni after many cycles, they would retrieve their pebble as a valued remembrance of their glorious days on the plains.

Henry's old phalanx welcomed three new fledglings. The anxious boys attended their first gorffwys. The phalanx passed the water flax and sang songs of welcome. Before long, they, too, were singing the songs they had learned in preparation for this moment as young boys in the mangeni.

Tomas and Henry spent the gorffwys away from the phalanx. They knew their presence would add an unreal element to the fledglings' first gorffwys. Tomas and Henry discussed the plan Twm would propose to the primaries of Dinas.

As promised, Aneurin arranged for Twm to meet with the primaries. They met on the dais.

All five hundred primaries of Dinas attended the summit. An additional twenty-five visiting primaries were present.

Ascending the high point, Twm began. "The nmblings are more numerous than we thought. They are also more deliberate in their movements and tactics. I fear they are executing a coordinated plan against our settlements. Henry and I observed a massive number of nmblings on the plains. Usually, they like to stay close to their home settlements. The nmblings are on the move and appear to be repositioning their vast numbers."

"This is distressing news, Twm the strong. What do you propose we do to counter this threat?" said Uwchradd.

"We must warn all the settlements. Most are unaware of the attack on Carreg. They need to fortify the entrances to the settlements and be more diligent in scouting the plains, including the neutral areas."

"But how will we notify all the settlements?" asked Uwchradd. "It takes many cycles to circle the plains."

"We must travel differently," said Twm. "During the flaring display of Ymuno â, plainsrunners expend many times the amount of lumin that is sustainable. During hyper-luminosity, it is possible to attain great speeds. It is possible to reach the opposite side of the planet in six to eight months."

"Twm, no phalanx could sustain that expenditure for over a week. And after that week, they would be exhausted for several more weeks," said Aneurin. "At that rate, it would take longer to travel around the planet."

"That is true, my old friend," said Twm, "but at the heightened speeds, no settlement is further than a week from the next closest settlement and most nearer. A phalanx could journey between settlements, deliver the news, rest for two weeks, and return to their home settlement normally. Each settlement would have a phalanx ready to pass the message on.
Phalanxes could deliver a message from the source settlement in both directions, significantly reducing the notification cycle time."

"There is wisdom in your proposal, Twm," said Uwchradd. "But is it even possible to expend that amount of lumin for that length of time?"

"Henry and I will guide the phalanxes in their maiden trips. We will also convince the other settlements of the importance of heightened communications and vigilance. All plainsrunners need to unify more closely during this period of heightened risk."

After the meeting, Aneurin approached Twm. "Have you selected a phalanx for the first leg of the trip?"

Tomas smiled. "I hoped that your phalanx would volunteer. Cadan needs to return to the Carreg Mangeni, and I'm sure many others in the phalanx would like to visit their home settlement for a couple of weeks."

Returning the smile, Aneurin replied. "I think I can speak for the Hywel, Cadan, and the rest of the phalanx. We relish the opportunity to join you."

"Good, then it's settled! We leave after gorffwys."

"Should the fledglings make the trip?" asked Aneurin.

"Yes, they should join us. We need to learn as much as we can on the first leg of the journey. I'd rather not disrupt phalanxes any more than necessary. If something goes wrong, Henry and I can intercede."

That gorffwys, the new fledglings were introduced to Tomas and Henry. None of the youngsters knew that Tomas was Twm the strong.

Last Gwyl, the plainsrunners returning to the Mangeni brought tales of the return of the millennium-old legend, Twm the strong, to Dinas. The legends of Gar the kind and Twm the strong were fundamental to the founding of Plainsrunner history and culture. The ancient Great Shrine of Gartwm stood in testimony to its importance.

Hapus took the fledgling under his wing. He could make anyone laugh, including the fledgling. Hapus drew the fledglings to him. During the announcement, Hywel announced the departure for Carreg the next morning. The fledgling were nervous. They had not yet run on the plains.

Gimi, one of the fledglings recently joining the phalanx, asked Hapus. "Is Tomas a primary?" Is he joining the phalanx?"

Hapus broke out in uncontrolled laughter, much to Gimi's embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, Gimi. I shouldn't laugh. Don't you know who Tomas is?" asked Hapus.

"Blushing the boy replied meekly. "I've only been in Dinas one day. I don't know many plainsrunners."

"I'll introduce you, Potum, and Scote to Tomas and Henry. Come along with me."

Led by Hapus, the new fledglings, Gimi, Potum, and Scote, approached Henry and Tomas.

Suppressing a laugh, Hapus said. "I'd like you to meet the novice Henry. Novice Henry, these are fledglings Gimi, Potum, and Scote."

Henry could tell Hapus was up to something and smiled himself. He gave the boys a double-arm grasp, a gesture of friendship. "Hey guys, it's nice to meet you. This is the best phalanx in Dinas. Almost as good as it was before I left a cycle ago."

Tomas observed the exchange with amusement. Hapus was one of his favorite novices and always made him smile.

Turning to Tomas, Hapus said. "And this is Tomas, Henry's bonded partner."

As the fledglings and Tomas exchanged double-arm grasps, he added. "He's also sometimes called Twm the strong."

The boys' eyes lit up in alarm. Gimi's legs wobbled, and he nearly fell. The others stood staring with stunned expressions at Twm.

Hapus roared. He was beside himself, doubled over in laughter. Henry and Tomas did their best to console the flustered fledglings.

Gorffwys completed the phalanx prepared for departure. The entire settlement had learned of their departure and formed at the entrance to Dinas to wish them a good trip.

The new fledglings positioned themselves behind Hapus, Diffuant, and Boner. Tomas and Henry ran to the side of the phalanx. They planned to run on their own, interceding only if needed.

"The fledglings look nervous," said Henry. "I remember the first time I ran with you, Tomas. I was so excited I could hardly breathe."

Tomas laughed, "At least during your first run, you didn't have the entire settlement of Dinas watching. Then again, the fledglings have been preparing their entire life for this moment."

Cadan led the phalanx as they walked through the entrance of the settlement to just beyond the safe zone. He erupted. Aneurin and Diffuant did the same. The novices were the next to add their lumin glow to that of the primaries. The fledglings were the last to join in by producing the faint, wispy trail typical of inexperienced plainsrunners not yet grown into their strength.

Nineteen plainsrunners accelerated smoothly to the cheers of the crowd.

Tomas and Henry matched the phalanxes' speed while producing no visible flair. Twm had evolved to the point that a flair was only necessary during significant lumin output.

The phalanx gradually accelerated. The new fledglings were adding nothing to the speed of the phalanx, instead acting as an anchor to be dragged along by the rest. Within hours, the flair filled the sky; never had a phalanx traveled at such a speed.

They ran through gorffwys that riseset and the next and the next. The first four days were an exhilarating experience for all the boys. By the fifth day, fatigue was settling in. The fledglings, in particular, were contributing less and less to the lumin production of the phalanx. Even Aneurin, Hywel, and Cadan were showing the strain. They pushed on—only two days to Carreg.

Twm and Henry were unaffected by the sustained lumin expenditure. They had traveled vast distances without rest the last cycle while scouting the southern plains. But Twm was not a typical plainsrunner. He could draw more than enough lumin from the two suns to offset the expenditure. At this point, neither was Henry. He generated at least as much lumin as a veteran primary, yet he knew Tomas was carrying most of the load. His contribution was minimal.

The speed was gradually decreasing, but still rapid enough to arrive in Carreg on schedule.

The phalanxes of Carreg were not expecting a visit from Dinas or Twm the strong. The entire settlement came out to greet them. Enough time had passed to temper the great sorrow that engulfed the plainsrunners of Carreg. A new determined and optimistic attitude permeated them all.

The Dinas phalanx found decelerating challenging due to the speed and fatigue. Tomas joined Aneurin, Hywel, and Cadan at the front of the phalanx to assist them in slowing down. They would know to reduce speed sooner next time.

All the boys save Henry and Tomas collapsed in the dirt at the entrance to Carreg having exhausted themselves. The plainsrunners of Carreg brought them water and assisted them to a sunning place to rest and regain their strength from the two suns.

Twm and Henry met with the primaries of Carreg. Henry was concerned that his presents wouldn't be welcome as a novice, but Tomas insisted he be there. Not an eye was raised in disapproval, and Henry joined Twm on the honored spot of the Carreg assembly area. Henry felt out of place and had nothing to contribute to the discussion.

The next settlement was called Secher. It was small in size and population, but only three days travel from Carreg.

Wilydd, the senior primary of Carreg, would lead the phalanx. They would depart within the hour.

Before leaving, Tomas and Henry visited the Dinas phalanx to check their well-being and say their goodbyes. It would be many months before they would see each other again.

The boys were all maximizing their sun exposure by laying naked on mats in a roundhouse open to the sunny sky. Henry couldn't help smiling. They looked like limp chow mien noodles, waiting to be scooped up and thrown into a wok with sauce and vegetables.

"We're leaving within the hour. You all did very well. Rest up, soak in some sun, and enjoy your weeks in Carreg. Trust me, you will feel much better in a couple of days. Henry and I should be back in Dinas before next Gwyl." said Tomas.

The boys of the phalanx tried to bid Tomas and Henry farewell but could only manage hardly decipherable groans. Hapus made a valiant effort to raise his arm in salute but only got halfway before it flopped back on the mat. Tomas and Henry knew they would never see Cadan again. No one ever left the mangeni after returning from the plains. They knelt beside and bid him a special farewell with a kiss on the cheek.

Wilydd lead the phalanx of twelve boys on the next leg with Twm and Henry at their side.

Off to Secher.

Copyright © 2024 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Curious as to what is behind the following, overpopulation or greed?

Ascending the high point, Twm began. "The nmblings are more numerous than we thought. They are also more deliberate in their movements and tactics. I fear they are executing a coordinated plan against our settlements. Henry and I observed a massive number of nmblings on the plains. Usually, they like to stay close to their home settlements. The nmblings are on the move and appear to be repositioning their vast numbers."

Edited by drsawzall
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Curious as to what is behind the following, overpopulation or greed?

Ascending the high point, Twm began. "The nmblings are more numerous than we thought. They are also more deliberate in their movements and tactics. I fear they are executing a coordinated plan against our settlements. Henry and I observed a massive number of nmblings on the plains. Usually, they like to stay close to their home settlements. The nmblings are on the move and appear to be repositioning their vast numbers."

Good point. Something has changed and upset the balance on the plains.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..