Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 2,524 Words
  • 598 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luminosity-The Return (book 2) - 1. Chapter 1

Tomas and Henry arrived in Dinas the day before the beginning of the annual Gwyl celebration. The gathering was the first Gwyl since the Divulgence a cycle ago. Due to Tomas' notoriety, they wanted to maintain a low profile. The news of their arrival would spread soon enough, but they wanted to enjoy Dinas like any other plainsrunners.

During the festival's first two days, the fledglings and novices participated in competitions that displayed skills critical to running on the plains. Henry wouldn't join in the 'games' this year. He was no longer a fledgling, novice, or primary. He and Tomas were something else.

Tomas affectionately wrapped his arm around Henry's shoulder and said. "What's the matter, Henry? Aren't you excited to return to Dinas after an entire cycle away?"

"Yes, I am. It's just that I'm the defending champion of 'Double Touch,' and I can't play this cycle. This is only my third Gwyl. I should have at least five more cycles before elevation to primary."

Tomas smiled, "It wouldn't be fair for you to compete. You have strengthened over the last cycle by more than you know."

"I guess you're right, but I'd still like to play."

Changing the subject, Tomas said. "The two suns will cross the horizons soon. Where will we spend gorffwys this riseset?"

Henry's countenance brightened. "I'd like to drink water and sing with my old phalanx."

"Me too! After so long, I'd enjoy visiting with Aneurin, Hywel, Cadan, and the rest of the phalanx. Let's surprise them!"

Locals and visitors scurried around excitedly in anticipation of the beginning of Gwyl. Tomas and Henry crept past the lush wooded gathering place, around the lake with the Great Shrine of Gartwm shining majestically on the opposite shore to a set of two roundhouses nestled among long-needled pine trees. The roundhouses sat between two tributaries flowing peacefully from the surrounding hills to the lake.

A dozen fledglings and novices frolicked naked in the northern tributary. Henry wished he could join in the fun. A cycle ago, he would have been one of them. He noted several of his former phalanx members enjoying the water. They would be drying off and dressing soon for gorffwys.

Henry missed his old friends, particularly Hapus and Diffuant, and couldn't wait to see them. He worried that they would look upon him differently now.

They entered the smaller of the roundhouses. The primary Aneurin and his bonded mate, the novice, Diffuant sat on woven mats on the packed dirt floor in animated conversation while playing a traditional board game called Picker. It was a strategy game with the goal of eliminating the opponent's tokens while protecting the entrance to their mangenis. Like most games, this game reinforced valuable lessons for living on the plains.

Aneurin was the first to notice them. He froze, and his expression grew wary. Diffuant turned his head in the direction Aneurin was looking.

Without pause, Diffuant leapt to his feet and rushed to embrace Henry. Henry was relieved that his old friend greeted him so warmly.

Aneurin, regaining his composure, formally said. "Welcome to our phalanx Twm the strong and novice Henry. Will you do us the honor of joining us for gorffwys this riseset?"

"I am just Tomas during this gorffwys, primary Aneurin and we are honored to accept your invitation," said Tomas.

Aneurin noticeably relaxed. "Please recline with us."

Diffuant grabbed two resting mats propped against the wall and laid them out for Tomas and Henry.

Tomas and Aneurin discussed the events over the last cycle. At no point did Aneurin mention the Divulgence of the previous gwyl.

"Henry and I have reconnoitered the plains between Dinas and Carreg to the southern homelands of the nmblings," said Tomas.

"That is an enormous territory, Tomas," said Aneurin.

"The nmblings are numerous in the southern lands we scouted. I fear they continue to be a threat. It's been over a cycle since the Carreg attack. Most of the settlements are still unaware of the danger," said Tomas.

"The world is large, and it will take many cycles for all of the settlements to learn of the peril," said Aneurin.

It was only over the last cycle that Henry learned how large this planet was. He couldn't be sure, but he estimated it to be as large as the Earth's sun. In this world, the twin suns circled the planet.

"Yes, the threat is real. We must notify the other settlements and prepare them to repel the nmbling invaders. I want to meet with the primaries after the gwyl celebration. Will you help me organize the meeting?"

"Of course, I will arrange the assembly. We are eager to hear what you have learned and take counsel from you."

Henry and Diffuant politely listened to Tomas and Aneurin. With a break in the discussion, Diffuant asked. "Henry, where have you been? You disappeared after gwyl last cycle."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I wanted to say goodbye, but Tomas was called to the Carreg settlement."

Carreg was the location of the mangeni where Diffuant and most of Henry's old phalanx members were born and where they would return when their days on the plains were finished.

"There was concern that some of nmblings that attacked Carreg were massing for another attack. I was anxious when we got there, not for fear of nmblings, but because of the state of the settlement. Twn and I and the resident phalanxes thoroughly scouted the plains around the settlement. We found nothing, but the remaining population is nervous about another attack even with the additional support phalanxes from Dinas."

"I know; our phalanx stationed in Carreg for a quarter cycle," said Diffuant. "The rebuilding is going slowly. Restoring the population to pre-attack levels will take a hundred cycles or more."

"I don't think they need to worry about an attack for a while. Tomas and I traveled to the southern mountains searching for nmbling bands," said Henry.

"You did!" Diffuant eyes widened with astonishment. "Did you see nmblings hordes?"

"Yes we saw many nmblings. They were all heading south into their territory. They are deadly afraid of Twm and never came close to confronting us."

"How is Hapus?" Henry asked.

The destruction of the Carreg settlement affected all the boys in the phalanx, but none more than Hapus.

"He's much better, almost his old self. He'll be so happy to see you."

Henry was eager to renew his friendship with Hapus, Diffuant, and the other boys in the phalanx.

It was time for gorffwys. Besides Aneurin and Diffuant, none of the primaries, novices, or fledglings knew Tomas and Henry would join them during the time of repose. They were all in the large roundhouse, boisterously chatting and kidding around, sitting on mats in a half circle facing the primaries Hywel and Cadan. Diffuant entered the roundhouse and took a seat next to Hapus. Aneurin joined the other primaries, Hywel and Cadan, facing the eleven boys in the half circle. With all the primaries present, the boys quieted down for the beginning of gorffwyn.

The first order of business was announcements. Aneurin began, "We have special guests joining us for gorffwyn. We will drink water and sing welcoming songs. Henry is here!"

The novices and fledglings were excitedly beside themselves as Henry walked in, and they mobbed him as he approached them. Even Hywel and Cadan couldn't resist clapping him on his backside as he passed. Henry was overwhelmed by the enthusiastic welcome he received. Hapus hugged him tightly and wouldn't let him go. The close friends were both crying joyful tears.

Aneurin spoke above the clamor. "We also have another guest. Joining us for water is Twm the strong."

The boys went silent, staring timidly as Tomas entered the roundhouse. Henry realized that to them, Twm was a mythological godlike figure, and they didn't know how to act in his presence. None of them knew Tomas well, having only run with him for a few weeks over two cycles ago. Even then, Tomas was aloof and drifted further and further away from the phalanx as time passed.

Tomas offered a disarming smile. "I can assure you that Twm isn't present this gorffwyn. It is only Tomas, a devoted partner of Henry. Please relax, drink, and sing."

It took some time, but before long, they sang and drank from the communal flask.

Henry, Hapus, and Diffuant resumed their familiar banter as though they'd never separated. Hapus told jokes and silly stories, and Diffuant, serious as always, wanted to know everything about Henry's life with Tomas away from the phalanx.

Henry did his best to answer the questions Hapus, Diffuant, and the other members of the phalanx peppered him with. He felt the comforting communal bond he'd missed over the last cycle.

Henry noted that although Hapus seemed the same carefree boy on the outside, there was a thread of melancholy just below the surface. He was forever changed by the attack by the nmblings on Carreg and the mangeni of his birth. His naive innocence was forever lost.

After the passing of the water flask, the boys sang the songs of welcome.

The singing and companionship were Henry's favorite parts of gorffwys. He felt at one with his companions as the beautiful harmonies of the pure treble and alto voices surrounded him.

Tomas and Henry observed the riseset with the rest of the phalanx. The unworldly glow produced when one sun set in the west and the other sun rose in the east was always a special time for reflection.

It wasn't easy, but Henry and Tomas resisted sneaking off for private time for one of the first times since their bonding. The phalanx had enough to absorb as it was. Henry thought, 'It's good to be home.' Although he realized this wasn't his true home. He wasn't born in any of the mangeni on this planet.

The end of gorffwyn that day marked the beginning of Gwyl. The excitement all over Dinas was tangible. The entire population of Dinas, residents and guests alike, met at the Great Shrine of Gartwm for the procession to the shady gathering place and the beginning of the festivities.

Tomas and Henry, hidden within the phalanx, made their way to the gathering place.

The entire population of Dinas, the largest settlement and cultural center of the plains, sang songs of thankfulness for the success last cycle in repelling the nmblings and songs of great sorrow, for the many losses suffered in Carreg.

At the gathering place, the primaries proceeded up the path to the dais built into the cliffs that overlooked the gathering place. The novices and fledglings positioned themselves beneath the shady trees of the gathering place.

Uwchradd, the senior primary, approached the raised section in front of the Dias.

"On behalf of the primaries of Dinas, I welcome all primaries, novices, and fledglings attending this Gwyl. Let the celebration begin."

"Novices and fledglings participating in Double Touch this cycle should assemble on the plains in front of the entrance. Primary observers will accompany them."

Henry wanted so much to compete in Double Touch. Tomas seemed to think he had grown stronger, but Henry didn't feel any stronger.

Another of Henry's friends, Boner, Boneddigaidd, elbowed Henry. "I know you're mated to Twm the strong, but even so, aren't you going to defend your title this Gwyl Henry."

"I'd like to, but I probably shouldn't."

Henry felt a familiar hand on his shoulder. "Henry, I was wrong. Go ahead and compete; it won't do any harm. This is probably as good a way as any to announce our presence," said Tomas.

A big smile appeared on Henry's face. "Are you sure it's OK?"

"Just be careful not to hurt anyone. "

Henry didn't understand this piece of advice. He was just happy to be playing.

Double Touch was played either naked or wearing a loin cloth. Henry was overly modest and always wore a loin cloth, but on this occasion, he didn't have one, and he didn't have time to borrow one. The almost daily intimate interactions with Tomas over the last cycle had made him more comfortable with nudity, but still, this was a big step.

Five hundred boys participated in Double Touch this cycle. There were other games that novices and fledglings could play, but they were only preparation for Double Touch in a future Gwyls.

The designated Double Touch areas were marked and surrounded by fans cheering on their favorites.

Several games would be played at a time. The winner of each round would progress to the next round. Over the first two days of Gwyl, the number of participants would be reduced to a few boys playing for the championship.

Double Touch was challenging and tested lumin control. Novices and a few brave fledglings played the game. The game's goal was to eliminate your opponents and avoid elimination yourself. Eight to twelve boys would play a match. Each boy carried different colored dirt in a pouch attached to the waste. The boys would coat their hands in sticky tree resin and dip their hands in the pouch. Two colored handprints applied to the upper body eliminated an opponent. The boy with the most 'touches' was the winner; if he avoided elimination, he was a double winner. As many primaries supervised the game as novices played it, for it could be dangerous, and secondarily, it was the best way to appraise the skill levels of the novices.

The other participants and the primaries immediately recognized Henry. He received a few puzzled looks, but no one sounded the alarm.

Henry hesitantly stripped off his jerkin and trousers. He felt as though everyone was staring at him. There was nothing wrong with his body, for he knew that he'd toned up nicely over the last few cycles; still, it was disconcerting.

He forgot about his state of undress when the lead primary signaled the beginning of the game.

A boy only a few feet away from Henry flared and rapidly approached him, hoping for an early touch. Henry had no trouble evading the touch and planted two crimson handprints on the surprised boy's back.

He spied a redheaded boy plant two magenta hands on a boy fifty yards to his left. He flared, and two crimson hands appeared on the redheaded boy's chest before he knew what had happened.

Double Touch was easier than Henry remembered, but it was early on and only the first round of the competition, and he was sure it would get more difficult.

Another boy ruptured and sped toward him. Henry flared, traveling rapidly forward to meet the attacker, and at the last second, released a deep blue countering lumin glow in front of him, propelling him backward. The attacking boy had never seen anything like this before; he panicked and tripped, tumbling out of control on the verge of serious injury. Henry was horrified. 'This boy may die!'

The plains exploded. A bright light temporarily blinded all present.

Tomas stood cradling the frightened boy.

Twm the strong had arrived in Dinas.

Copyright © 2024 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Welcome back, a very interesting chapter and looking forward to the rest!

Thanks for the comment. This story may be a little darker than my others, but not oppressively so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Let the games begin, lovely reunion for Henry with his friends.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, VBlew said:

Let the games begin, lovely reunion for Henry with his friends.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes

Thanks for the comment. Things will pick up in the next chapter.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Dan South said:

Time for a run.

Henry will do some running in the next chapter. Thanks for the comment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..