Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 3,184 Words
  • 236 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luminosity-The Return (book 2) - 3. Chapter 3

This chapter contains some potentially objectionable content including violence and rape.

Twm and Henry traveled from settlement to settlement, spreading the word of the nmbling threat and recruiting plainsrunners into messenger phalanxes. The further they traveled from Dinas, the less aware the settlements were of recent events. By the time they reached the settlement of Bryngwyn, the population was unaware that Twm the strong was alive and running the plains, and the nmbling had attacked Carreg the cycle before.

Despite a phalanx from Landysal accompanying Twm and Henry, the Bryngwyn settlement was skeptical of Twm's identity and the message he brought with him.

"How do we know you are who you say you are? asked Amheuol, the senior primary of Bryngwyn.

"I have no reason to deceive you," answered Twm. "There is a threat to all plainsrunners, and we must better coordinate our efforts to resist the nmblings."

"Prove you are Twm the strong," demanded Amheuol.

Twm erupted, directing the entire lumin flare upward. A column of dazzling platinum-white light pierced the heavens.

The primaries of Bryngwyn fell backward and shielded their faces with their hands and arms.

In a submissive, frightened voice, Amheuol pleaded. "We believe you are who you say!"

Twm ended the flare of lumin abruptly.

A phalanx from Bryngwyn was assigned to the next leg of the trip on the spot. From this period on, Twm and Henry would move to the front of the messenger phalanx upon arrival at a new settlement, and they projected a terrifying flare as a sign that Twm, the strong, had arrived. They never encountered doubters again.

Twm and Henry traveled from settlement to settlement with each new messenger phalanx. They ran from Bryngwyn to Cwmerfyn to Dollwen and several others in between. Each settlement was unique.

Bryngwyn was pastoral, with all the hills and flatlands covered in grasses and sheep and goats grazing contently. Until now, Henry hadn't seen animals on the plains. He later learned that the plainsrunners of Bryngwyn would slaughter and consume the meat. Their digestive systems were fully functional. He didn't understand why anyone with a choice would choose to defecate.

Henry also learned that the subsequent settlement, Gwmerfyn, grew wheat, vegetables, and grapes. They would trade bread, vegetables, and wine with Bryngwyn for milk, cheese, and meat. Henry recognized this as a form of barter and wondered whether this was a recent innovation or a relic of an earlier age.

They arrived in Dollwen, one of the smaller settlements with only ten phalanxes. There was no water source and the land was parched and, at least to Henry, uninviting. The plainsrunners led a spartan existence. They were proud and of noble bearing, never showing any sign of tiring on the long seven-day run to Aberaeron. Henry never saw any of the boys naked, for they seemed as modest as he was.

Henry was growing weary and losing track of all the settlements they visited. It had been months since Henry and Tomas enjoyed a restful gorffwys. Not only was it rest Henry coveted, for as a healthy fourteen-year-old old, he yearned for sexual intimacy.

During the fifth day of the leg, Tomas said. "Aberaeron is the next settlement on our journey, and it is second in size and importance to Dinas. We should stop for a couple of days to gather our strength."

"Yes, oh yes, let's stop!" Responded Henry enthusiastically.

"Besides," said Tomas while offering Henry a mischievous smile, "I'm horny as hell."

Henry blushed and felt a stiffening in anticipation of gorffwys in Aberaeron.

Two days later, the Dollwen phalanx led by Twm, impressively filling the sky with lumen, arrived at the entrance to the Aberaeron settlement.

The plainsrunners of the settlement observed a display never seen before and rushed to greet the honored guests.

Henry immediately noticed two things about the plainsrunners of Aberaeron: they wore little, if any, clothing, and they were an enthusiastic group. Despite the frightening lumin display, they rushed out of the settlement's entrance to meet their guests and strangely … touch them. Henry was a little uncomfortable when three boys started petting him, stroking his neck, back, chest, and stomach. Tomas rescued the blushing boy just in time to prevent one of the Aberaeron plainsrunners from groping him below the waste.

A boisterous throng surrounded the Dollwen phalanx, Henry and Twm and guided them through the entrance into the settlement.

The Dollwen plainsrunners, although exhausted from running, refused assistance. They were taken to a busy public space, next to the gathering place to rest and receive the healing radiation of the suns. Henry heard several Dollwen plainsrunners vociferously object to the Aberaeron boys attempting to remove their clothing.

On one side of the settlement, two waterfalls poured torrents of sparkling water into a rushing river flowing to the far end of the settlement. Henry couldn't tell where the river flowed from his position but imagined it flowing through the mangeni and continuing into the northern wastelands. He saw some of the boys purposely dive into the rapids and calmly maneuver themselves to a destination miles downstream. 'Faster than walking,' thought Henry.

Twm and Henry were invited to gorffwys by one of the Aberaeron phalanxes. Most of the boys in the phalanx dived into the river for a quick swim to the phalanx hall. Tomas and Henry opted to walk.

This settlement consisted of large rectangular wooden longhouses instead of the roundhouses common in Dinas. Two rows of wooden columns ran the length of the house, supporting the roof.

The columns divided the space into three sections. The center section had two enormous fire pits.

Along the outer walls were benches with bedding materials stored underneath. Henry found it strange that the benches and bedding far exceeded the requirements of a fifteen-boy phalanx.

Unlike the Dinas and Carreg roundhouses, the long halls of Aberaeron had no separate rooms. Henry immediately thought, 'Where do bonded pairs go for intimate private time?'

As gorffwys approached, the boys began to enter the hall and take their seats along the walls. Within minutes, there were over fifty boys raucously taking their seats.

Henry turned to Tomas and asked with a stunned expression, "Do all these boys belong to the phalanx?"

"No, Henry, four phalanxes share a long house in Aberaeron," Tomas answered with a smile. "They do things differently here."

"What about private time?"

"I should have warned you. They do that differently, too."

The boys and primaries took their places, and the two fire pits kindled. The smoke of the fires vented through the roof, and the flickering flames reflected off the wooden walls and ceiling. The hall had a warm and toasty feel.

Sigurd, the lead primary, welcomed Twm the strong and Henry to gorffwys. The applause and stamping of feet echoed through the hall. 'They are a rowdy group of plainsrunners,' thought Henry.

After the announcements, the phalanxes sang. Things were so different on this side of the planet. Instead of the melodious harmonizing songs, Henry was used to, these boys sang loud, sometimes rowdy tunes while stamping their feet and clapping madly. Scores of boys would leave their seats and frantically dance around the fire pits, seemingly hypnotized by the music, fire, and companionship. Henry had never experienced anything like this before.

The music wore down, and the boys arranged their bedding in front of the benches. Henry and Tomas reclined at one end of the hall with the primaries.

After a few minutes, Henry saw two boys on the other side of the longhouse rise, pick up their bedding, and walk to the center of the hall between the two fire pits. They laid their bedding down and proceeded to strip off their clothing. The reclined boys all cheered. Henry was amazed to see that the two plainsrunners were aroused. They knelt on their mats and had sex … in front of everyone. They seemed to make a point of putting on a lubricious show for the phalanxes and Henry and Tomas.

Henry covered his eyes with his hands. He could hear Tomas laughing at his side. "I warned you, Henry, that they do things differently here."

The boys finished their erotic show, and in sequence, two more couples grabbed their bedding and proceeded to the center of the hall.

Tomas elbowed Henry and said, "Are you ready? It's our turn next."

Henry went beet red and began to hyperventilate. "I … I … I can't in front of everyone!"

"But we have to, Henry. It would be rude and a serious offense to our hosts if we didn't perform for them."

Henry was breathing so hard he nearly passed out.

After a pause, Tomas laughed, "Just kidding. I wanted to see your reaction. I am horny as hell, though, particularly after watching these guys go at it. Tomorrow, we need to sneak off for some private time."

"BTW, pay close attention. Maybe we can try something different," said Tomas.

Henry smiled, relaxed, and allowed himself to enjoy the rest of the show. He was learning so much.

While Henry's resident settlement, Dinas, was known for the Great Shrine of Gartwm and the Obelisk of Dinas, Aberaeron was renowned for its ancient megaliths. This part of the planet had a much greater density of the ancient remains, and Henry was eager to see some of them.

Sigurd and his phalanx readily agreed to lead Henry and Tomas on a tour of some of the more impressive artifacts. The plainsrunners of Aberaeron were eager to run with the legendary Twm the strong.

"We don't need to travel far to see one of the more impressive megaliths," said Sigurd. "One is at the entrance to the mangeni. It's only an hour from here via the river rapids."

"River rapids!" croaked Henry.

"Yes, and it will take a good day to return by foot."

"We should give it a try, Henry," said Tomas. "I'm sure the phalanx will look after us."

The boys of the phalanx led Henry and Tomas to the river's edge.

From Henry's vantage point, he could see the rapids chaotically surging dozens of feet into the air and crashing back on themselves. He was petrified and almost fled back to the long house.

Two boys approached him. "Hello, Henry; I am Magnus, and this is Sten. We will accompany you down the river."

"I'm afraid," said Henry.

"You'll be safe. We'll make sure nothing happens to you. Once in the river, roll over onto your back with your feet pointing downstream. Sten and I will be at your sides to guide you."

Magnus grabbed one of his hands and Sten the other. They walked to the edge of the river and jumped in. They were in an eddy, and Henry was surprised to observe them slowly moving upstream. Henry rolled onto his back and pointed his legs in the direction they were drifting.

"Are you ready," shouted Sten into his ear.

Henry didn't think he'd ever be ready but offered a resigned nod.
They swerved to the left and plunged through the eddy line. Off they went. It felt similar to the first time he traveled within Tomas' lumin flair on Earth. He was along for the ride. His two escorts securely held his arms. They would make subtle position changes to their bodies and guide them around, over, and sometimes through the rapids. Henry felt like he was flying.

Gradually, Henry began to relax. He was starting to enjoy himself. Magnus' and Sten's grip loosened, and Henry was allowed more freedom to move with the flow. A couple of times, one or the other of the Aberaeron plainsrunners would correct his positioning and guide him to the proper descent line. It was exhilarating.

Magnus and Sten guided him across an eddy line on the right side of the river. Compared to the raging rapids, Henry felt like he was standing, floating, still.

"We're here," said Magnus.

"Already?" said Henry. "When can we do it again?"

They exited the river. All the boys of the phalanx and Tomas had stripped off their clothes before entering the river. They all dried quickly. Henry considered removing his uncomfortable wet loincloth, but his modesty compelled him to endure the discomfort until it dried. Sometimes, he wondered why he was so concerned about his nudity. His body was at least as good as his companions, and he enjoyed looking at their naked bodies. It must be something about his upbringing on Earth.

In front of them was an enormous stone megalith. The river's flow plunged into the stone, where a small portion diverted to the left and the bulk of the torrent channeled to the right.
"Where do the channels lead?" asked Tomas.

"The smaller channel travels through the mangeni. We're not sure where the bulk of the water goes, but it must travel to the northern wastelands," said Sigurd.

Henry stood studying the megalith.

"What is it, Henry," asked Tomas.

"It's just that a structure like this is beyond the technological capabilities of plainsrunners. Who do you think built it?"

Sigurd replied. "We don't know for sure, but there are many legends, some of which I'm sure you're familiar with in Dinas."

"Legends speak of a time in the distant past when the world was still young, and the stars whispered secrets to those who listened, and a remarkable civilization existed. These were not ordinary people; they were the Megalith Builders, a population of visionaries who defied the constraints of their time for their society unlike any other. They possessed knowledge that transcended mere survival."

"The megaliths are all that is left, but before their demise, the Megalith Builders built cities that were architectural marvels, with spiraling towers reaching for the heavens. They could talk to each other over vast distances without moving, for their knowledge extended far beyond the physical realm."

"What happened to them?" asked Henry.

"We don't know," said Sigurd. "The legends on that subject are more obscure and varied. Many say they became us and, in time, forgot about all the wonders of the ancient days. Others postulate that they left this world, perhaps returning to where they originally came from. It was so long ago, and there are no written records."

They hiked back to the long house. That riseset they celebrated gorffwys on a rise overlooking the river. There was singing and dancing, but it wasn't nearly as frantic as gorffwys at the long house. Tomas and Henry snuck off into the woods for long overdue private time and tried a few new things.

The next day, a huge contingency of fifty phalanxes escorted Twm and Henry to several artifacts scattered on the plains outside the Aberaeron settlement.

Most reminded Henry of the Obelisk of Dinas with the large-scale graphic representations of strange animals, plants, trees, and grand megastructures.

After that day, gorffwys, Twm, Henry, Sigurd, and his phalanx erupted and sped to Felin, the next settlement. Tomas suggested Henry run in the phalanx on the first day with his new friends Magnus and Sten. It had been a while since Henry ran with a group of boys as a novice among other novices and fledglings. It was great fun.

Tomas warned him to withhold most of his lumin flare. Henry could feel the phalanx strain to maintain the 'lumin display' level of lumin output. He could have offered them so much more but realized the phalanx needed to learn to run at this velocity independently. At this speed, Henry didn't feel his stores of lumin depleted at all. He, indeed, had grown in strength.

Over the following months, Twm and Henry traveled from settlement to settlement. Henry was amazed at how different the settlements were. The plainsrunners even looked differently from each other.

The settlement of Moria was an enormous cave system with giant caverns and smaller phalanx-sized caves. The plainsrunners were generally squat and heavier of build and reminded Henry of the nmblings he saw last cycle while scouting the southern regions. Unlike nmblings, they were a friendly and generous lot of boys who flared beautifully.

They were in their seventh month of circling the planet and only a quarter away from Dinas. They were ahead of schedule, and Henry was eager to return to his adopted home—only eight more settlements to go.

A phalanx from Quay accompanied them to Goginaovern. Goginaovern was a medium-sized settlement with about seventy phalanxes. It was a heavily wooded settlement known for rough-hewn treehouses high above the forest floor.

They arrived after six days of hard running. Henry immediately sensed something was wrong, and he could tell Tomas had shared his premonition.

Most settlements reacted to Twm's lumin flare by cautiously exiting to investigate the phenomenon. They saw no one. Twm and Henry instructed the Quay phalanx to wait for them in an open area of the plains outside of the settlement while they investigated. The boys collapsed to the dirt, exhausted but alert.

Twm and Henry approached the entrance. Inside, butchered bodies littered the forest floor. Many of the treehouses show signs of burning. Goginaovern had suffered a devastating nmbling attack.

Over the next few days, Tomas and Henry searched the settlement for survivors. Eventually, the Quay phalanx, partially recovered from the journey, assisted in the investigation. They dispensed with the flaring restriction in the settlement and quickly surveyed every inch of the settlement. There was no one alive. The carnage was gruesome, with the plainsrunners torn open and their lumin-rich organs ripped out of their bodies. Henry was horrified to think that many plainsrunners were still alive during the butchering.

The nmbling also breached the mangeni. The new fledglings of Goginaovern left carved wooden plaques at the portal leading from mangeni to the settlement for retrieval as a memento of their days on the plains. Henry knew that none of the plaques would ever be retrieved. He cried.

Tomas and Henry solemnly walked the two miles to the second entrance to the mangeni. As expected, the butchery was similar to that of the settlement.

Henry thought that, in some ways, it was worse, for the women and girls carried no lumin in their organs, and the boys and men stored little of the energy of the suns. Nevertheless, the nmblings savagely slaughtered them all. There were also indications that many of the women and girls and some of the boys were violated by the lumin intoxicated nmblings.

Tomas, Henry, and the Quay phalanx methodically searched the mangeni. The mangeni was similar in size to the settlement, and it took many days to complete the task. Henry was numb. It was all too horrible.

While searching a remote treehouse, Henry was startled by a sound coming from under a bench in the back of a small room. He cautiously approached the bench and discovered one of the horrendously mauled bodies of one of the women. Beneath the body, covered in dried blood and gore, were two eyes peering anxiously up at him.

Henry, overcoming his initial fear and surprise, gently said. "I am a plainsrunner from Dinas and I am here to help you."

Copyright © 2024 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had to chose wow...rather than sad or angry as I believe there will be retribution for the guilty... 

Henry, you nearly broke my heart with the following...

While searching a remote treehouse, Henry was startled by a sound coming from under a bench in the back of a small room. He cautiously approached the bench and discovered one of the horrendously mauled bodies of one of the women. Beneath the body, covered in dried blood and gore, were two eyes peering anxiously up at him.

Henry, overcoming his initial fear and surprise, said. "I am a plainsrunner from Dinas and here to help you."

  • Like 3
Link to comment

They had been doing so well, traveling and informing people of the dangers, and then his a settlement that is completely destroyed, save 1 survivor.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, drsawzall said:

I had to chose wow...rather than sad or angry as I believe there will be retribution for the guilty... 

Henry, you nearly broke my heart with the following...

While searching a remote treehouse, Henry was startled by a sound coming from under a bench in the back of a small room. He cautiously approached the bench and discovered one of the horrendously mauled bodies of one of the women. Beneath the body, covered in dried blood and gore, were two eyes peering anxiously up at him.

Henry, overcoming his initial fear and surprise, said. "I am a plainsrunner from Dinas and here to help you."

The one survivor of the Goginaovern settlement will be a focus of the next chapter. Thanks for the comment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/15/2024 at 7:01 PM, VBlew said:

They had been doing so well, traveling and informing people of the dangers, and then his a settlement that is completely destroyed, save 1 survivor.

The world of the plainsrunners can be cruel. Thanks for the comment.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..