Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 2,396 Words
  • 794 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luminosity - The Beginning (Book 1) - 8. Chapter 8

**
He left his hiding place and approached the stone Tomas had so reverently embraced. It was overgrown with vines and covered with a layer of dirt. Henry carefully pushed the vegetation to the side, brushed the soil from the stone, and looked in amazement at the deeply chiseled inscription on the ancient block. It was the tome of Gartwim, only different.

They were two united in Ymuno â. One was kind and one was strong and they both shined brightly together on the plains. One died in the preservation of his people and the other wreaked terrible revenge. Here lies Gar the kind. Twm the strong will forever watch over his people.

Henry repeated aloud the last line of the tome. "Twm the strong will forever watch over his people!"
**

Tomas was Twm, the strong and the destroyer of the nmblings, but how was it possible? The legend of Gartwin was thousands of cycles old. Henry may be new to this world, but he didn't know how any plainsrunner could stay on the plains that long. He had a lot to figure out, and there was so much he didn't know. He may need help.

It was time for gorffwys, and Boner wanted everyone there for a special announcement. Henry hurried to the roundhouses, arriving just in time to join the half circle.

When it came time for the novices and fledglings to contribute, Boner nervously rose to address the phalanx. Some of the boys started giggling. Boner gave them a dirty look and began. "Umm… I'm going to participate in ymuno â this gwyl."

As expected, the entire phalanx, including the primaries, cheered and laughed loudly. Henry was unaware of this news despite Boner being one of his closest friends. He was so absorbed in searching for Tomas and deciphering the mystery of Gartwim that he had neglected his friends.

It seemed Hywel was also unaware of Boner's impending bonding. "Who is the lucky plainsrunner?"

"It is Feirol!" Boner gushed.

"He is a mighty primary . . . and sexy too," Laughed Hywel.

Boner turned crimson as the phalanx erupted in laughter. Henry felt a little better and joined in the laughter.

"You must all sing for me!"

They all happily affirmed they would sing for Boneddigaidd during ymuno â on the third day of the gwyl celebration. They drank water and sang.

After gorffwys, Henry approached Aneurin and Diffuant.

"I have some questions about our lives as plainsrunners. Can you help me?" Asked Henry.

Diffuant Responded, "Henry, there are so many things you don't know. These are things you should have learned in your mangeni. Why didn't you receive this training?"

"I promised someone I wouldn't share that secret with anyone. I want to tell you everything, and maybe someday I can."

"Did you make this promise to Tomas?" Asked Aneurin.

Henry looked away, unwilling to speak Tomas' name.

Aneurin smiled kindly. "We trust you, Henry. Ask your questions."

Looking at Aneurin, then Diffuant, "Thank you, you are my family in this world."

He began. "How long do plainsrunners live on the plains?"

"Usually between twenty and thirty cycles, but it varies," replied Diffuant.

"Do any run the plains for millennia?"

Aneurin answered, "That is a strange question, Henry. Some say those strong in lumin live longer on the plains, but not millennia. Every plainsrunner longs to return to the mangeni one day. We visibly age in the mangeni, but after our passage to the plains, physical aging stops until we return to the mangeni to breed, raise children and train the next generation of plainsrunners. We are all compelled to complete the cycle."

Diffuant added, "Some legends speak of plainsrunners living long on the plains, some even reversing aging through sustained and exhausting expenditures of lumin, only to revive stronger than before. But these are just stories, and no one has witnessed this phenomenon."

Henry thought about this briefly, then asked, "Why was Gar the kind interred in the shrine rather than cremated in the mangeni?"

"I don't know Henry. Plainsrunners did things differently thousands of cycles ago, and Gar was exceptional and deserving of a special memorial," said Aneurin.

Diffuant continued, "As a toddler in the mangeni, I heard a story about the 'strong,' distraught in losing his mate, building a stone memorial to honor Gar the kind forever. It's a nice story, but we know the Great Shrine of Gartwim was built hundreds of cycles after the event. It was built by the plainsrunners of Dinas, with the help of all the settlements over a vast period of time."

"Thank you. I have learned much from your wise counsel. I have a great deal to think about."

Aneurin and Diffuant both watched Henry exit the roundhouse with concerned expressions on their faces.

Henry returned to the true Shrine of Gartwm to ponder all he had learned. Deep in the shady wooded gully, he reread the ancient tome and contemplated the legend.

They were two united in Ymuno â. One was kind and one was strong and they both shined brightly together on the plains. One died in the preservation of his people and the other wreaked terrible revenge. Here lies Gar the kind. Twm the strong will forever watch over his people.

The excitement built leading up to the first day of gwyl. All the plainsrunners from the settlement and visiting phalanxes assembled before the Great Shrine of Gartwim. They solemnly marched to the assembly area, singing poignant songs of sorrow in honor of those who lost their lives in Carreg and the survivors left behind to mourn the losses.

The rest of the day and most of the next, the plainsrunners participated in competitions between individuals and phalanxes. Henry's phalanx did well in many of the competitions, and Henry proudly secured the prestigious Double Touch win for novices. Some kidded him about being elevated to primary soon. Henry assured them he wasn't ready for a major step like that.

On the second day, the settlement also welcomed the new fledglings entering the plains for the first time. The innocent boys with wide-eyed expressions of wonder on their faces seeing Dinas and the Great Shrine for the first time brought warm smiles from all, welcoming them to their new lives. Later that day, they would attend their first gorffwys with their new phalanxes.

The return of honored plainsrunners to the mangeni also brought emotional farewells and commitments to meet again soon. As was the custom, many pledged plainsrunners returned to the mangeni together. These plainsrunners were all eager to start a new phase of their lives.

The highlight of the third day was the Ymuno â ceremonies and the flaring displays. Seven couples participated on this day. Boner and Feirol were the sixth couple scheduled to bond.

The ceremony began. Each participant and their supporters approached the dais, singing the earnest song of bonding. Some of the boys were ghost white with anxiety, not for fear of rejection, for that hadn't occurred in recent memory, but because of the momentousness of the occasion.

It was Boner's turn to take the frightening journey to the dais to confront Feirol and ceremoniously plead for bonding. Boner was shaking with nervousness. The phalanx sang imploringly. Without hesitation, Feirol leaped forward and aggressively grasped Boneddigaidd's hands with a gigantic, lustful smile. They were bonded, and the voices in the phalanx joyfully soared, and Boner blushed in expectation of a new adventure during the private time that gorffwys.

As they sang the joyous chorus of acceptance, Henry observed Tomas standing off by himself in an inconspicuous area to the side of the dais, watching the celebration.

The last Ymuno â of the day began.

Henry gathered his phalanx around him. "I will plead for Ymuno â today."

Confused, Hapus asked, "What are you talking about? You can't decide now."

"Yes, I can. I wish to bond with Twm . . . I mean Tomas."

"Tomas? I haven't seen him in over a cycle."

"He is here," said Henry

"Have you talked to him?" asked Diffuant.

"No"

"But Henry, what if he doesn't accept your offer?" Asked Hapus. "That would be horrible."

"I don't care. I have to try. Will you sing for me?"

With only a slight hesitation, they all affirmed, "We will sing for you, Henry."

The last scheduled Ymuno â of the day completed, the assembled plainsrunners were surprised to hear the song of bonding begin once again.

The phalanx, led by Henry, approached the dais, singing the song of pleading and acceptance of the offer of binding. The other phalanxes, although surprised, joined in the song.

The novices and fledgling of Henry's phalanx approached Tomas.
Henry stopped and resolutely stood in front of Tomas.

"Henry, what are you doing?" asked Tomas.

"Twm, I am not Gar the kind, and I never will be, but I am Henry, and I am here if you want me."

Tomas knew that Henry had learned of his true identity.

"You think you know who I am, Henry, but you don't. Yes, I am Twm of the legends, but I am also death. I have extinguished countless lives, for I am pledged to kill the enemies of our people, and that can never change."

They stood staring intensely into each other's eyes. There was pain in Twm's eyes and understanding in Henry's.

Henry raised his arms with open hands towards Twm, silently imploring him to seize them and confirm their pairing. After a pause, Twm stepped forward and grasped Henry's hands, tentatively at first but then firmly. They were bonded, and the voices of the chorus soared.

Suggested audio accompaniment: Spem in Allium, Choir of Kings College, directed by David Willcocks (2015 remaster)

It was time for the newly pledged couples to flare across the plains to display their devotion to each other.

They lined up in order of their pledging in the Ymuno â ceremonies and proceeded out the entrance of Dinas. Boner and Feirol were sixth in line, and Henry and Twm were eighth and last in line.

All the primaries, novices, and fledglings followed them out of Dinas, forming against the cliffs in anticipation of a dazzling display. There were many strong primaries, and all assembled had high expectations.

The assembled plainsrunners cheered loudly as each couple cleared the safe zone, erupted, and flared majestically as they headed southeast in preparation for the penultimate sweep and return to the entrance of the settlement.

Henry could see the couples in front of him flair. They were all spectacular. His dream had come true. He was running with Twn the strong . . . no with Tomas, the one he loved. As they cleared the safe zone, Henry was delighted to see his entire phalanx, less Boner, who was up ahead, living his dream, cheering him and Tomas on.

Tomas erupted; Henry could feel the latent power and joined him with his own eruption. It was similar but different to Henry and Tomas's many runs on his former home world. They were easily matching the intensity of the flaring of the other couples. Henry wondered, 'How strong is Twm?'

Other than Henry, none of the other plainsrunners knew that Tomas was Twm, the strong of ancient legends. Although Twm was born in the mangeni of Dias thousands of cycles ago, none of those assembled knew Twm was.

Each couple flared, holding nothing back, sending incredible blazes into the darkening skies of the approaching riseset of gorffwys. Each display seemed more impressive than the last. The displays exceeded expectations. Many expressed that this was the most brilliant display in the history of Dinas.

After the last couple initially scheduled to run completed their display, many of the primaries, novices, and fledglings assembled against the cliffs began filtering back through the entrance into the settlement, perhaps forgetting about the late introduction of an eighth pair. Henry's phalanx, recently joined by Boner and Feirol after the successful completion of their run, stood resolutely in support of Henry and Tomas in front of the entrance to the settlement.

As Tomas and Henry swept around to face the entrance to Dinas, Tomas said, "I am much stronger than you remember. Do you trust me, Henry?"

"I trust you completely. If I die today, I will be happy."

Tomas smiled, the first smile Henry had observed from him in over a cycle. "I promise you will not die today."

And Tomas' flare intensified. The blue countering lumin thickened in front of them. To Henry's surprise, the lumin flare continued to build, and the blue counter-lumin thickened in kind. Tomas and Henry stood stationary as Twm produced a growing flair of lumin never seen on the plains.

The glow illuminated the cliffs, causing the plainsrunners reentering the settlement to stop, turn, and observe the brightening flare dominating more and more of the sky. One recently arrived fledglings shouted, "Look, look, what is it?".

The crowd was awestruck. No one had seen anything like it before. It was like something from the legends, the ancient times of 'the kind' and the 'strong.' Had Gartwin been reborn?!

Tomas turned his head to Henry and, giving Him a mischievous smile, asked, "Are you ready?"

Not knowing what to expect and offering Tomas a trepidatious smile, Henry replies, "I'm ready."

The plains exploded! All present were temporarily blinded and deafened by the pure power of the unrestrained luminosity.

Henry and Tomas instantly stood before the entrance to Dinas and the assembled gathering of plainsrunners on the very edge of the safe zone. An impossibly thick shield of blue lumin prevented all present from immediate incineration as they flared terrifyingly. Just as quickly as it began, it was over. Twm the strong, and Henry stepped into the safe zone and greeted the plainsrunners of Dinas.

**
Epilogue

A thousand cycles later, the craftsmen of Dinas inscribed a deeply chiseled tome over the doorway leading into the Great Shrine of Gartwim.

They were two united in Ymuno â. One was kind and one was strong and they both shined brightly together on the plains. One died in the preservation of his people and the other wreaked terrible revenge. Here lies Gar the kind. Twm the strong will forever watch over his people, and Henry the loyal will always be by his side.

End of part two.

Copyright © 2023 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 17
Thanks for reading. Comments and reactions are appreciated. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A fitting conclusion to the second book and I very much look forward to the next...

Thank you for taking the time to entertain us...it is appreciated!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Henry after finding out who his love was took the risk to be rejected in bonding, and was met with acceptance.  Looking forward to more.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Such a wonderfully creative world you’ve built. Looking forward to seeing what world you create or just inhabit next.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dan South said:

Such a wonderfully creative world you’ve built. Looking forward to seeing what world you create or just inhabit next.

Thank you, I appreciate the encouraging comment.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The more I read great stories, the more I can relate to emails I've received when I end a story.

I'm sad to see this great story come to an end, but I am so grateful to have come along for the ride.

I hope you find the inspiration to expand this world. If not, I very much pray that you create many more.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Justin4Fun said:

The more I read great stories, the more I can relate to emails I've received when I end a story.

I'm sad to see this great story come to an end, but I am so grateful to have come along for the ride.

I hope you find the inspiration to expand this world. If not, I very much pray that you create many more.

Thank you again for your support. There are at least two more story lines in the Luminosity world, but a coherent integration is a little tricky.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..