Jump to content
    paren01
  • Author
  • 4,041 Words
  • 1,449 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luminosity - The Beginning (Book 1) - 3. Chapter 3


Faster and faster.

It felt better than sex. Of course, other than jerking off, he'd never had sex, but as he ran, he felt a similar build-up to … not an orgasm … but some sort of climax.

Faster and faster and faster and faster … it felt so good … faster and faster and faster.

Faster, faster, faster … something was happening to him.

Fast, fast, fast!!!


Fast, fast, fast, fast!!!
**
Henry's senses expanded. He could see much further and with greater acuity. His body felt the speed … the sounds, the air, the sun, and the subtlety of air pressure changes on his skin. Everything was more! It felt wonderful, and it was still building.

Where was he? He wasn't on the trail anymore. Somehow, he knew where he was. He was running on coastal Highway 1 through Big Sur, over a hundred miles from his school. It was too much all at once. What was happening to him? The pleasure changed to terror. He was shutting down. His new expanded perceptions were dimming, contracting. Everything was going dark…

In the distance, his foggy vision could see a bright blue point of light corona'd by blazing orange, transitioning into yellow, stretching hundreds of feet into the air, filling more and more of the horizon.

His consciousness ebbed. Everything went black…

Henry opened his eyes.

He was in a bed beside a window with the morning sun shining on him. Was it all a dream?

Looking around, he recognized he was in the school infirmary, and other than a mild weariness, he felt fine. A distinguished older man approached the bed and introduced himself.

"Hello, Henry; I'm Dr. Schwartz from the Stanford Medical Center. Your parents and the school asked me to keep an eye on you until you are feeling better."

"How did I get here?" asked Henry.

"A classmate of yours carried you into the clinic late yesterday afternoon. It was amazing. He's a healthy-looking boy but must be stronger than he looks to carry you that far. You're lucky he found you."

Excited, he sat up and asked, "Who is the boy?!"

"His name is Tomas. Strangely, he insisted we leave you in front of the window with the blinds up. I didn't see any harm in it, so here you are."

"Where is he? Is he still here?"

"I'm not sure where he is," replied Dr. Schwartz with amusement. "I suppose he's back at his dorm or in class. He asked me to tell you that he's back now and will stop by to see you between classes. I don't know how he knew you would be ready for a visit so soon. You were running a seriously high temperature when I first examined you. I had to cool you down with cold packs and administer antibiotics and IV fluids. Tomas is an interesting young man. He told me none of my interventions were necessary but to go ahead if it made me feel better. I suppose I should have been insulted, but for whatever reason, I wasn't. He was right about the IV. You were already hydrated, and I doubt the antibiotics had time to kick in before your fever broke."

Henry smiled, relaxed a bit, and fell back into the soft pillow on the bed. There was still a lot to work out, but now he was comforted by the knowledge that Tomas was nearby.

"How did my mom and dad take the news."

"They were upset but are better now since I told them you are on the mend. They've been here all night. They're just down the hall. Would you like to see them?"

"Yeah, please."

Entering the room, his mom rushed to the bed, took his head in her hands, and affectionately kissed him on his forehead.

"I was so worried, sweetheart. How are you feeling now?"

"I'm feeling pretty good. I was tired when I first woke up, but not now. Sorry I put you and Dad through this."

Henry's dad stepped forward. "Are you ready to go home, Sport?"

"Go home? I feel fine, actually better than fine."

"I know you didn't want to attend this school, and it's apparent that they can't assure your safety. We need to get you out of here as soon as you're well enough to travel. Hell, I'll order an ambulance and get you home now."

"Please don't make me leave school," pleaded Henry. "I want to stay."

"What? I thought you hated this place," said his dad.

"We just want you to be safe, sweetheart. Your father and I can hire tutors to instruct you at home, and we can convert the old stables into a classroom. It will be perfect."

"No, Mom, Dad, I want to stay".

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Tomas politely stood at the entrance to the room, waiting to be invited in. Henry was overcome with joy and hopped out of bed, ran to the door, and embraced Tomas. Tomas returned the embrace. After a minute, Henry's shyness returned, and he began to turn and return to the bed until he realized he was wearing one of the hospital garbs with an open back. He blushed, reached around to ensure he didn't accidentally moon Tomas and his parents, and backed away, seeking the bed covers' safety. His parents chucked at Henry's exaggerated modesty.

Regaining his composure, Henry said, "Tomas, these are my parents, Henry and June. Mom, Dad, this is Tomas. Tomas and I are on the cross-country team together."

"You must be the young man that brought Henry to the infirmary yesterday," said Henry's mom. "We are so grateful. What happened to him?"

Tomas began, "I was away from school for a week, and once I settled back in the dorm, I decided to go for a run. I was on one of our favorite trails when I came upon Henry sitting by the side of the path. I think the sun got to him. I gave him water from my flask and helped him return to school. Dr. Schwartz took over from there."

Turning to Henry, Tomas asked, "Henry, I checked with the coach, and he told me you weren't on the assigned trail. Did you get lost?"

Picking up on Tomas' subterfuge, "Yeah, that's it, without my running partner, I must have run down the wrong trail."

"I'm back now. I'll make sure you don't stray from the path again."

Henry was dying to ask Tomas what really happened.

Satisfied Henry was in good hands, his parents prepared to head home for some much-needed rest. Before they left, Henry's mom addressed Tomas.

"I'm so happy Henry has found a friend as responsible as you. When you get some time, why don't you and Henry come to spend a weekend with us? We'll feed you well, and you can swim and ride the horses. The horses could use the extra exercise."

"That sounds great, June."

With that said, June affectionately kissed her son on the cheek, and his dad shook both of their hands, and they left.

"I'll leave you to the doctor's care. Come by my room when you're ready to talk," stated Tomas as he exited the infirmary.

Dr. Schwartz gave Henry a final check-up and cleared him to return to his dorm.

That evening, Henry made his way to the dining hall. Surprisingly, he wasn't particularly hungry but still picked up a chicken burrito with salsa and tortilla chips. Sitting at his usual table with the other outcasts, he noticed his classmates sneaking peaks at him. The 'Ignored kids' never stared at people, disdaining prolonged eye contact, but still, he felt them looking at him.

Catching Cynthia Walsniac's eye, he asked. "What's the matter? Do I have something stuck in my teeth?"

"No, it's just that you look different."

"Different? How do I look different?"

Cynthia paused, looking at him more intently, "You look better, healthier. It's hard to explain, but you look better."

"Hmm, I guess I feel better, thanks."

Tomas didn't appear at the evening meal. Although Henry was eager to learn more about the astonishing transformation he was experiencing, he found himself struck with an overwhelming reticence. Tomas was perfect. His trim, graceful body, and beautiful, refined features made him irresistible to anyone with a heartbeat. Even more attractive was Tomas's open, self-confident attitude. Even Henry's parents, who were often critical of new people, were immediately won over by him. Henry knew he was smitten with this flawless boy who had so unexpectedly and profoundly entered his life.

Henry nervously made his way to Tomas' dormitory, approached his second-floor door, and knocked. This time, there was an almost immediate response. The door opened, and he appeared more appealing than Henry remembered.

Tomas smiled and invited him in. Much of Henry's nervousness disappeared with that familiar warm smile. Henry sat on the desk chair while Tomas plopped down on the bed facing Henry. The whole situation was unreal. Of course, the last two weeks were like nothing he had experienced.

Tomas addressed Henry. "I know you have a lot of questions. I will tell you everything you want and need to know. There should be no secrets between us."

Henry timidly replied, "I suppose the biggest thing is what is happening to me?"

"You are going through a change. Your body is beginning to store and process lumin.

"What is lumin? asked Henry.

Lumin is energy. It is abundant all around us, particularly from stars, like the earth's sun. That is why I insisted on the doctor placing you in front of the window with the blinds up. You would have healed eventually, but the sun greatly facilitated your recovery. The processing of lumin is why you find yourself wanting … needing to run fast."

"I've never heard of this happening to anyone else. Why am I the only one?"

"You are not the only one. It happens often on the plains but rarely here."

Henry pondered this for a few seconds. "The Great Plains? Like Nebraska and Kansas?"

"No, the plains aren't here. It's difficult to explain, but they are somewhere else. That is why it is so dangerous for off-plainers to change without help. They need a guide, and they can't go to the plains on their own. Without a guide, the same happens to them that almost happened to you yesterday. You would have died yesterday afternoon if I hadn't been there."

"I guess I was lucky you came along when you did."

Tomas smiled. "It wasn't luck. I've been close by ever since you began to change."

"I'm really confused by all of this. Why am I changing?"

"I can't tell you why you are changing. Rarely does someone change here. It happens only once in every millennium or two. Some of your myths of sun gods and fire heroes possessing superhuman abilities originate from people of the plains tragically changing without guidance. They never live long."

Henry listened intently to Tomas. "How do we get to the plains?"

"The only way to get there is through an extreme expenditure of lumin. It's perilous, but it can be done. I came from the plains to guide you, and if everything goes well, after some physical development and training, we can travel to the plains together."

Henry asked, "What about my parents?"

"Henry, you'll have to say goodbye to your parents. I'm sorry, but you have no choice; you can't stay here and live."

Henry turned into himself. Tomas sat quietly, ready to offer support if needed. His presence was enough. After some time, Henry looked up and bravely asked, "What do I need to do to get ready to go to the plains?"

"We need to run together. As your body changes, I will instruct you on the ways of lumin ."

After a thoughtful pause, Henry said, "OK, when do we start?"

"We start tomorrow after classes. Although not ideal, the trails around the school are a good starting point, but eventually, we'll transition to larger open spaces. We can use the cover of the cross-country team for a while."

Looking at Henry with a concerned expression, he asked, "Are you going to be alright tonight?"

"Yes, I'm going to miss my parents, and I'm concerned about them, but I have no choice. I need to give some thought to how I'm going to break it to them."

After a pause, Tomas said, "You should stay with me tonight."

Henry's heart skipped a beat. He knew the offer was from a mentor offering him support, but the thought of spending the night with Tomas sent shivers down his spine. Tomas was too perfect to truly want to spend time with him.

"No thanks, I'd better sleep in my room tonight. Sounds like tomorrow will be a busy day. I'd better go now."

Tomas politely nodded as Henry left the room.

The following afternoon, Henry headed to the oval for cross-country practice. He heard one of his 'C-level' teammates shout, "Look, it's Henry!"

The entire team and Coach O'Brien surrounded him, clapping him on the back, giving him friendly butt slaps, and asking him how he was doing. Henry was surprised and a little taken aback by the warm reception he received.

The coach, trying to project his usual gruff demeanor, couldn't hide his pleasure that Henry had recovered quickly and was back with the team. "Wtf, Adams? Try not to get lost next time."

Henry replied, "I won't get lost again. Tomas promised to keep an eye on me."

"Tomas," exclaimed the coach, "I haven't seen that deserter for over a week. I thought he dropped out of school."

"I'm here, coach," said Tomas as he jogged across the field to join the team. "Sorry, I was away attending to a family emergency. I hope you'll let me back on the team."

The coach couldn't suppress the big smile developing on his face. "Well, OK, but you have to promise to look after Adams."

"That's what I'm here for."

Coach O'Brien shouted, "A Squad" you're running the 'Ridge Trail.'" In a concerned tone, he added, "Don't overdo it, Adams, and you stay with him, Tomas."

Off they went, trailing behind the main pack.

As they ran, Tomas addressed Henry. "I want to tell you a few things before we begin training. You have little to fear during our runs together. I can extend the lumen I process to slow you down, guide your direction, or stop you. That is what happened during our state park run and in Big Sur when you blacked out."

"You are beginning to process lumin, and before long, you will erupt for the first time."

"Erupt? What is erupt?" asked Henry.

"Erupt is when the lumin you process flares. It becomes a tangible thing. Your body will glow as the power of the lumin is released. It is a wonderful thing, a right of passage, but also dangerous, for it takes more skill to control than any fledgling possesses. On the plains, it takes months for a novice to gain a rudimentary understanding of the power and years to become proficient in its use."

"On these first runs, I will control your movement, allowing you to feel the lumin within you. Although it is natural for the lumin to project you forward, it is multi-directional. Feel the subtleties of the force. Experiment with it. As long as I am with you, you will be safe."

The pair took the adjoining trail through the state park. Henry could feel the force of Tomas gently guiding him, giving him the confidence to explore the inner forces acting on his body. He realized that some of the power in the speed was coming from just outside his body, and it was malleable. He wasn't sure what caused it to shift subtly, but he felt a slight redirection when it did. Tomas prevented anything from getting too out of alignment.

They were already at the trailhead close to the school. Checking his watch, Henry was surprised to discover that he and Tomas had run twenty-eight miles in fifty minutes.

"The 'A Squad' should be close to finishing the 'Ridge Trail'. We have time to hook up to the back of the pack before they finish," said Tomas. "We'll run again tomorrow."

The two of them could hack the school running log and enter data that mimicked the 'A Group' running routes, preventing the coach from becoming suspicious.

Away from the trails, for the most part, they followed their normal patterns, with Henry eating at the outcast table and Tomas spending time with all the groups. They would occasionally get together in one or the other room to plan and discuss the training.

Some of his fellow students began treating him differently. Girls and boys alike came up with the most ridiculous reasons to talk to him. Were they flirting with him? How could that be?

One evening after his shower, he glimpsed a reflection in the mirror over his sink. Startled, he quickly grabbed his towel to shield his private parts from this handsome stranger reflected in the mirror. Of course, it was Henry himself reflected in the mirror. He'd changed. Still trim, he had toned up. He was delighted to see a fit body with abs, real abdominal muscles. If he weren't himself, he would be turned on. Hanging up the towel, he realized he was a little excited. He smiled and thought, 'I can take care of that.'

And that's how it went over the following days and weeks. Henry learned more and more about this strange new force pulsing through his body.

After two weeks of training, Tomas told Henry, "tonight, we will travel to the valley to run along the California aqueduct. This stretch will give us over a hundred miles of unobstructed road to train."

"How will we get there?" asked Henry.

"That is part of the training. Rather than just guiding you, I will absorb you into the force of the lumin I project. That way, we can travel much faster, and you can gain a partial understanding of realized luminosity."

That evening, after most of their classmates had returned to their rooms to study, read, or play video games, the two boys met behind the school auditorium. Henry was both excited and apprehensive about this new adventure.

"Run with me," said Tomas.

Henry could feel the lumin pulse through his body and the comforting presence of Tomas controlling his movements.

"You are safe. Give yourself over to me."

They were moving faster. Even Henry's enhanced vision and expanded senses couldn't comprehend what was happening. It was as if he was rapidly shooting through a tunnel. Tomas glowed a yellow-orange color, and that glow surrounded Henry. He was along for the ride, which was both exhilarating and frightening.

Suddenly, there was a blue glow immediately in front of them. Henry found himself standing with Tomas on a poorly maintained road beside a concrete channel, snaking off into the distance, softly illuminated by the full moon's light.

"Henry, you have learned a great deal in the last weeks. During our runs, I have exerted less and less control over your movements. I said it once before, 'Let yourself go. I am here if you get into trouble.' It's time for you to take the next step on your journey in the lumin."

Henry knew what he needed to do.

They ran down the frontage road. Henry could feel Tomas' presence and the freedom to run under his own power. His confidence increased. He allowed himself to relax and feel the lumin pour from his body. Faster and faster, he could feel the energy build. Faster and faster, he felt ecstatic. Faster and faster and faster, he was on the verge of some sort of climax. Doubt entered into his mind. He was afraid and wanted to stop.

Then he heard Tomas say, "Let yourself go. I am here if you get into trouble."

Reassured, he relaxed and pushed harder.

Faster and faster and faster and faster.

His body pulsed with the power of lumin. He felt himself … rupture. Henry was one with the lumin. He glowed pulsing power, Ecstasy!!

Tomas embraced him with his lumin and said, "Henry let it go. That's enough for tonight."

He let the lumin recede. He missed the power pulsing through him, but he was ecstatic and proud of his accomplishment. He still felt the afterglow of the experience and knew he was forever different.

The boys physically embraced. "You did it! You are one with the lumin," gushed Tomas. Henry was crying with joy and pride.

They returned to the aqueduct three more times that week. It became easier and easier for Henry to erupt. He always felt the surge of pulsing power and pleasure, but it was never like the first time.

Back at the school after the fourth trip to the aqueduct, Tomas said, "You are ready. We will travel to the plains next week."

"Then I need to tell my parents I'm leaving this weekend," replied Henry.

"Would you like me to be there with you?"

"Yes, I would. Will you come?."

The boys went to Henry's parents' Woodside home for the weekend. They swam, lounged around the pool Friday afternoon, and enjoyed soaking up the bright Bay Area peninsula sunshine. They ate a sumptuous meal that evening. The next day, they rode the horses on the many trails of his parents' ten-acre property and the adjoining neighbors' properties. It seems everyone shared the miles of riding trails. They ate, hung around the pool, and enjoyed another sumptuous dinner. Despite the sunshine and the activities, Henry had a heavy heart.

The next day was pretty much the same. Early Sunday evening, Henry, Tomas, and Henry's parents met in the kitchen.

"Help yourself to the iced tea," said Henry's mother.

Henry poured them all a glass of tea and returned the ice-cold pitcher to the refrigerator.

The four of them casually walked through June's herb garden, past the pool and the tennis courts to an expansive outer patio, and sat at a table overlooking the pastoral valley below and the gentle wooded hills in the distance.

Henry nervously began, "Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you."

His parents could tell by the tone of his voice that their son had something important to share with them.

"I have to leave you."

"Leave us? What do you mean sport?" Henry's dad asked.

"It's a little hard to explain. I've been going through a…a…change lately. Tomas has been helping me."

"Sweetheart, it's normal for boys to change at your age. You're going through puberty. If you're trying to tell us you're gay and that you and Tomas are a couple, don't worry; we understand. We like Tomas and will welcome him into the family."

"No, Mom, it's not that. It's another kind of change. I am processing lumin. It makes me run fast."

His father replied in an incredulous voice. "Lumin? What are you talking about, sport."

"It's very rare here, and people who change, die if they don't leave."

Both of his parents stared at him with concerned expressions on their faces. They thought the fever and the strain of school must be affecting him and feared their son was experiencing some sort of mental breakdown.

"I may be able to help you better understand," interjected Tomas.

He stood and took a few steps away from the table, turned, and faced them with empty hands at his sides. "Your son is unlike anyone you have met or ever heard about. He processes energy differently than other humans."

As he spoke, his body began to glow with a brilliant yet translucent blue light.

"This characteristic will lead to his death unless he and I leave this place."

Henry's parents were paralyzed by the shock of the spectacle they were observing. There was a barely discernible light modulation, and the glowing blue light disappeared, leaving Tomas standing in front of them, now holding an ice-cold pitcher of tea.

"Would anyone like a refill?"

Copyright © 2023 paren01; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Thanks for reading. Comments and reactions are appreciated. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for the comment.
It’s would be a difficult thing to explain without a demonstration. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..