Jump to content
    Percy
  • Author
  • 1,902 Words
  • 1,357 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Waltz (Lacy's Cinderella Story) - 1. Chapter 1


He hadn't expected to be attracted to her. Mayor Drew Halperin watched the young woman seated on the other side of his desk as she bent forward to retrieve some items from the plum colored briefcase at her feet. A curtain of straight, brown hair swung forward and she tucked it back with a quick movement of a long fingered hand. No, he definitely had not been prepared to feel this sharp tug of attraction to the newly hired volunteer coordinator on his campaign staff.

Unable to stop himself, his eyes skimmed over the long, shapely legs crossed neatly at the ankle and narrow feet smartly clad in short heeled pumps the same plum color as her bag. Clearing his throat, he decided to quickly get on with the meeting in an attempt to reign in his wayward thoughts. "I understand from my campaign manager that you've fleshed out a plan to best utilize our volunteers in the upcoming months?"

Lacy Winters passed the neatly bound report she'd retrieved from her briefcase across the mayor's desk. The bag had been an indulgent purchase after she'd landed this, her first real job after grad school. It was Coach leather, had cost a fortune and matched all of two outfits in her closet, one of which she'd chosen to wear to this meeting. The mayor himself was wearing a dark suit. Lacy was almost certain it had been hand tailored to his tall, broad shouldered frame. She was glad she'd chosen to dress up for this first meeting with her new boss, instead of wearing the usual jeans, loafers and polo shirt seen around campaign headquarters.

"Yes," Lacy swallowed, trying to settle her nerves "you'll see from the data I've put together the number of your supporters interested in volunteering for your re-election campaign. I've also included estimates on the numbers who will actually follow through on their interest."

He took the report she'd given him but instead of looking at it, he continued to look at her. His gaze remained on her face, but Lacy got the strong impression he was forcing himself to keep it there and not give her a more thorough lookover. She was use to being stared at; it went along with being trans. The stares were often rude leers, frequently accompanied by even ruder comments and she instinctively clenched her jaw in preparation to defend herself.

Only the mayor's gaze wasn't intrusive. It was a little intense but she wasn't getting the creepy, gooseflesh feeling she got when so many other men stared and she knew they were thinking of her as some sort of disposable sex toy. Maybe she was swayed by her own reaction to the undeniable rugged attractiveness of the youngish mayor, but his long look didn't make her want to hunch in on herself or strike out at him. Instead she just felt flustered. Before a full on flush could rise in her cheeks, she spoke again, "Did you want to take a look through my report?"

Jerking his eyes from hers as if he'd just realized he had been staring and was embarrassed by it, the mayor finally looked down at the report she'd prepared. "Mike says you have some ideas for focusing volunteer efforts on the 18-25 crowd and boosting my numbers with that demographic."

Mike Fleming was the mayor's campaign manager and a longtime acquaintance of Lacy's. In actuality he was more an acquaintance of her older brother, but he'd known her since childhood and had continued to stay in touch, even after her announcement in college of planning to transition. Mike had hired her a week ago. Relieved to finally have the discussion underway, Lacy launched into an overview of her plans for the volunteers on the campaign. "There are three universities in the area and two community colleges. Your numbers in the 18-25 group should be higher. Most of your volunteers come out of that age group and it makes sense to focus their efforts back to their peers."

The fine brows above the mayor's sea green eyes drew together. "Only two of those colleges are within the city." he challenged.

"But we house the majority of the students from all of them within our city limits. Availability of rentals in the neighboring towns and suburbs is low. They reside here. Those students are potential voters and we need them to understand what you have to offer them."

Drew was impressed and as he continued to question Lacy about her initial plans to utilize the volunteers, he came to appreciate even more the degree of thought and research that had gone into her proposal. He was equally appreciative of her even, well modulated voice. Like the rarely heard oboe in a symphony, the timbre of her voice was low and unique. Drew realized he was becoming as enthralled with listening to her as he had been with looking at her.

Meanwhile Lacy was giving thanks for every last cent she had spent on that charm school for t-girls back east. A lot of her MTF friends had ridiculed the idea but all those drills on grooming and diction and sitting properly were getting her through this meeting. An impersonally interested Mayor Drew Halperin would have been intimidating enough with his deep voice, squared off jawline, prominent cheekbones and close cropped blond hair. Being the recipient of the more personally intense looks he was sending her way and the object of his probing intellect, it was all she could do to keep from fidgeting in her seat. No foot tapping, no tugging at the hemline of her skirt. She held his eyes when he asked questions and answered thoroughly and thoughtfully, not rushing her responses and without looking nervously away from him.

"You've done a commendable job" he finally said, "putting this much detail into the planning in the short time you've been here." The mayor gave her an open, friendly smile and Lacy did feel goosebumps then. The good kind. Good grief, there was no way this guy could lose with looks and a smile like that.

"Thank you." she said. "I had a lot of help from the research assistants on your staff."

"No need to be modest, Lacy. Trust me, with this group on my staff, you want to claim credit for everything that's yours. I know I have good researchers but you put the information to work. Don't fall into the habit that women have of passing on credit that's their due."

Just as he finished speaking, Drew frowned, as if wondering whether he should have made the gender reference. Lacy looked away, unaccountably embarrassed and frustrated. Would her gender, her gender change, always be an issue? She was pretty open about being transgendered; she didn't want it to be some horrid secret in her past. But she also didn't want it to be at the forefront of every conversation she had with someone. Surprisingly, Drew opened the topic up instead of sidestepping it.

"Lacy" Drew's voice was serious and contrite. "I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable. It's the last thing I want to do. You realize, don't you, that Mike told me he's known you for a number of years before you, uh, well, he said that you're the younger sibling of one of his best friends."

Deciding to take the invitation to discuss her history, Lacy jumped in. "Yes, of course. Mike has been great. I transitioned four years ago, during my undergrad studies. It's not a secret; I mean, the resume that I submitted for this position has all the volunteer advocacy work I did on behalf of transgendered students with the Board of Regents where I went to school."

"Yes, I read it. That experience was part of why we hired you here. You have proven leadership skills and you got results. That's what I need to get re-elected to office." Drew wasn't sure how to phrase the next part of his apology, but in the end decided on blunt honesty. "I'll admit, I was surprised when you first walked in earlier. You just didn't look like I expected and I can see that's ignorance on my part."

Drew stood and walked around his desk, holding out a hand. "I truly do apologize if anything I've done or said today made you uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to having you as part of the team."

Lacy stood, nearly but not quite eye-to-eye with him, and returned his handshake. She didn't see anything but sincerity in the clear look he was giving her. Real sincerity, not just the momentary politician's good intentions. "I understand, Mayor. And, I'm happy to be here putting my degree and experience to work in the real world."

"That's good." the mayor led her to the door as their meeting concluded. "I would hate to lose you so early in the game."

He escorted her down the hall and into the main war room of the campaign. It was mid-day and the room was filled with staffers. An anticipatory buzz permeated the air as the mayor came into view but everyone tried to appear nonchalantly busy. Lacy went back to sit at the workstation terminal she'd been assigned as the mayor walked around the room, introducing himself to the staff he hadn't met and catching up with those he knew.

Finally he called for their collective attention and she turned away from her monitor to watch him speak. It was a brief, motivational kick off speech where he thanked them for their efforts and warned them of some long days ahead. He also let them know he would necessarily focus his attention primarily on his mayoral duties at city hall. His appearances here at the rented campaign quarters would likely be sporadic. The mayor then delivered a surprise announcement. "As you know, Fiesta is in one month. I am happy to announce that all of you are invited. Make sure Mike has your name for the guest list."

Conversation broke out excitedly as he concluded his remarks, spoke privately to a couple people and then stepped outside and into a car waiting for him on the curb. Held at the palatial century old city hall, Fiesta was a biennial black tie event to benefit local charities. Attracting politicos, celebrities and business leaders far beyond the city limits, it was a modern day ball. Those who attended never failed to exclaim over the fairy tale extravaganza with the orchestras, waltzes, catered delicacies and the chance to be part of the society belles and beaus for a night. The room of staffers was thrilled to know they'd be included in the event, particularly as guests of the desirable mayor, who was sure to be at the center of attention.

Lacy shared their excitement. Life was finally good. After the relentless depression of high school followed by the strains of managing both academic demands and her transition, she was finally getting a chance to just be herself. She had a job and based on today's meeting, it was one she could do well. She wasn't facing any more surgeries in the immediate future. Her boss was nice and good looking to boot. If she could just avoid developing a devastating crush on him, the few months leading up to the election should be some of the best of her life.

Copyright © 2012 Percy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You defined it all very well here at the start. Can't wait to see what you have in stored. So not your usual Cinderella story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..