Jump to content
    Percy
  • Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 885 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Waltz (Lacy's Cinderella Story) - 4. Chapter 4

The mayor looked a mess. Mike had known Drew "Hal" Halperin for nearly 6 years now, but he'd never seen the man less than perfectly groomed, even when casually hanging out at one of their respective homes to watch a game. Drew wasn't perfectly groomed today; instead, he had two days worth of stubble on his face and looked like he hadn't slept in at least that long. To say he looked haggard was an understatement.

Mike didn't comment on Drew's appearance however, he just handed over the files the mayor had asked him to bring from the office.

"Thanks" Drew's voice was flat as he stood in his doorway and took the folders Mike held out to him.

"Gonna ask me in?" Mike questioned.

"Suit yourself" Drew shrugged indifferently and turned back into his suite, leaving Mike to follow.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?" Mike demanded. Something had happened between Thursday afternoon and today, Saturday. Both for the sake of the campaign and for his friend, he needed to know what it was.

"I told you on the phone." Drew said. "I'm heading to the national mayoral conference in Chicago for the week."

"Just like that?" Mike exclaimed. "A month ago you didn't have time, you were jammed with meetings, especially with all the VIPs coming in this week for Fiesta."

"Those are all meet 'n greets" Drew muttered. "No substance. I'll get more accomplished at the conference."

"Was it something in the pizza?" Mike asked, half joking.

"What?"

"The pizza." Mike repeated. "I walk into HQ yesterday morning to find a half eaten pizza, stacks of reports and two laptops in the conference room. You and Lacy were still logged into the laptops. Just as I'm getting the mess cleared up for the morning conference, Lacy calls in sick. Then I find out you're working from home - something I've never known you to do on a weekday." Mike threw his hands out in annoyance and paced the room. "Now you're suddenly skipping town for the week. I'm asking again, what is going on?"

"Is Lacy okay?" Drew looked concerned, more concerned than Mike would expect him to look for a subordinate who'd taken a sick day.

"How should I know, Hal? She called in for one day and said she had the flu. My guess is she'll be in on Monday."

Mike was frustrated. "Why do you ask? Does she have something to do with why you're leaving town? Did something happen between the two of you Thursday night?"

Mike narrowed his eyes at his friend and boss. "Were you a jerk to her?"

"Why does everyone think I'm the bad guy here?" Drew crossed his arms and stared angrily out the bank of windows looking over the Pacific. "Yes, something happened."

He wanted to go on, to vent about how he had been wronged and hormonal tirades and wallow in the injustice that had been done to him. Only, he didn't know what had happened, why it had all gone wrong and he didn't want to drag someone else into this, not until he had a chance to get some perspective himself.

He turned. Mike was still waiting for an explanation. "Yes, something happened between Lacy and me Thursday night. It's personal. I expect you to keep quiet about it. Just do me a favor and make sure Lacy comes into work on Monday, okay? It might help if you let her know I'll be out of town for awhile."

Mike was surprised. Hal and Lacy? He never would have pegged the mayor as going for... The thought trailed off. Going for what? She was a lovely, young lady now with a similar background and interests as the mayor. She was exactly who the mayor would be interested in dating. And, he could see how forming such a connection would be fraught with difficulties.

Mike recovered quickly. "Sure thing, Hal. I'll keep an eye on Lacy. Just make it back in time for Fiesta next Friday. I can cover campaign matters until then."

"The Fiesta." Drew echoed. "I'll be back in time for the ball."

*****

Lacy answered Mike's call late Saturday afternoon. He wanted to check on how she was doing and if she thought she'd be in on Monday. Lacy hadn't expected that; she'd expected him to call with news that she was being canned.

"Have you spoken to the mayor recently?" she asked cautiously. Her voice was husky from crying and pitched far too low, but she didn't care.

"Just this morning." Mike said matter of factly. "He's going to be out of town at the national mayoral conference. Won't be back until the Fiesta on Friday, and we'll need all hands on deck next week to cover matters while he's out."

Lacy was confused. How could she still be working for Drew after what she'd said to him? She didn't have anyone she could talk to about the situation, certainly not Mike, so she just assured him she thought she'd be well enough to work on Monday.

Once she hung up, she forced herself to think seriously about what to do from here. She really wasn't prone to outbursts like the one Thursday night. She was the t-girl who had it all together, the looks and the career and the confidence. Her dramatics had taken her by surprise and the more she replayed it in her head, the more she wanted to crawl back under the sheets and lick her self-inflicted wounds. That wasn't a viable long term option, though and clearly, no matter how difficult and painful, she owed Drew an apology. Then she'd resign. It was the only way.
She had a week's reprieve to pull herself together. It sounded like the first chance she'd have to see Drew again would be at Fiesta. She could make her apology there.

Picking up the phone again Lacy called Max/Maxine. She still needed a dress for the ball.

Copyright © 2012 Percy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow! When things go wrong they really go wrong for Lacy and Drew. Seems everyone has their own share of issues. Really enjoying this.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..