Jump to content
    pmdacey
  • Author
  • 4,342 Words
  • 2,642 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Things Are Different - 6. Chapter 6

Even though Labor Day made it a short week, a routine was quickly established. It was a little embarrassing, but I think I was the only sophomore that got a ride to and from school every day from his grandmother. I would usually meet up with Scott and sometimes Devon before the first class. Scott was back to being more outgoing and relaxed than he did when we went to Powell's, but no one is as outgoing as Devon. We always sat together at lunch.

I didn't usually see Scott or Devon after school, mostly because my grandmother was there waiting for me. I knew Devon left with Dani most of the time and I assumed that Scott was with Vanessa. Except for Scott, Devon and Dani I didn't really know anyone else and that was more than fine with me.

On Friday, Mr. Golan the History teacher assigned a buddy project. Fortunately he allowed us to choose our own partner. I could not image having to do a project with anybody except Scott. After all he was the only person in class I had even talked to other than the teacher and I avoided talking to the teacher as much as possible. Being Mr. Dig’s favorite was enough of a burden already. In any case I didn't want to do it with anyone else. He seemed genuinely pleased when I asked if I could be his partner.

"Um, do you want to get together after school to work on the project?" I couldn't believe I asked that.

"Yeah, why not." Scott did not seem too enthusiastic about it. It seemed I wanted to spend time with him more than he wanted to spend it with me. Not that I expected or even wanted anything to happen.

"If you have plans, that's fine . . . it is Friday after all." I back pedaled. "We can always work on it during lunch and the like."

"No, no plans tonight."

"What about Vanessa?"

"Nah, we are hanging out tomorrow."

"Did you want to come over to my place? My grandmother will be picking me up after school." What was I doing? Why was I doing it?

"Sure, that works. Devon says you have a great place."

"Well, my Grandma's house is certainly different than any place I've ever lived before." Now, just don't ask me where I lived before. Please. "I'll just let her know that you are coming over."

I met Scott at his locker after the last bell.

"My Grandma said she would provide pizza if you wanted to stay for dinner." I was trying so hard to get Scott to come over and hang out. I wasn't even sure why. It was not like we were going to spend the afternoon making out or anything. Oh, but the thought of doing just that was almost too much. I could feel my face flush as he called his parents. I had to calm down. Even if he did want too, I don't think I could go through with it.

It's so easy to misconstrue what is being conveyed when you can only hear one side of a conversation.

"Can I stay for dinner at Jay's?"

"I told you about him."

"Yeah, that one."

"His Grandma."

"I don't know."

"I'm not going to either."

"Working on a school a project."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Okay, that's taken care of. It's off to your place." I snapped out of my reverie as Scott addressed me.

"Great! My Grandma should be here soon." Did I say that with too much enthusiasm?

 

 

Scott was quiet when he came across the walkway and into the house, but I saw his eyes widen. I felt a little embarrassed by my friend’s reactions. In the past, one of reasons I never had friends was because I never wanted them to see the motel rooms or trailers or even cars that I was living in. Now I didn't want to come across as too well off, though I could not think of this as anything more than a temporary situation that could change in a heartbeat.

"Show Scott around and you can work on your project in your room. I'll call you when dinner is ready." Grandma sent us on our way.

I took my time showing him around. Devon only saw what you can see from the foyer, but that is a lot because of the open floor plan. I gave Scott the five dollar tour before lastly ending up at my room.

"And this is where I stay."

"Wow! This is your room?"

"Well, technically it is the guest room I guess, but I am staying in it for now."

"Yeah, you’re from Texas, right?"

"That's just the last place I lived before this."

"Your parents still there?"

There it was; the question that I was hoping to avoid. What do I say? How much do I dare tell him?

Not anymore." I looked down at my feet, comfortable in their new Nike's.

"Oh," the single syllable hung in the still air.

I looked into the dark pools of his eyes. I was unable to discern any malice in those eyes.

"My Dad died when I was nine." Scott didn't say anything, "My Mom died recently." I didn't really feel anything when I said the words. I was afraid that I might breakdown or something. Maybe I had pushed those feelings down far enough that I did not have to worry about them surfacing. Besides, the most prominent emotion associated with either of them anymore seemed to be anger. They were the stones that I was carrying around in my gut, but I can live with that.

"I'm so sorry." Near as I could tell there was true sympathy in his voice. "I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. It's a good thing you have your grandmother."

"Yeah." I did not say anything else. That was enough.

"This is a really sweet room." Scott changed the subject. "It just needs some of your personality added to it; like a SpongeBob poster."

I just stared at him in shock. He burst out with a laugh that rang like bells.

"Man you should see your face. Maybe I should have suggested some Playboy pinups." At that I am sure my face turned beet red. Scott gave me a playful nudge.

"I saw SpongeBob peeking out from the collar of your shirt on the first day of school."

My heart started beating again.

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone that you're a closet SpongeBob fan. Besides…

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea

SpongeBob SquarePants

Absorbent and yellow and porous is he

SpongeBob SquarePants

Scott sang the first verse.

I continued:

If nautical nonsense be something you wish

SpongeBob SquarePants

Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish

SpongeBob SquarePants.

And in chorus we finished:

SpongeBob SquarePants

SpongeBob SquarePants

SpongeBob SquarePants

SpongeBob SquarePants

And fell on the bed laughing.

With the ice broken by a mutual love of nautical nonsense we were able to relax around each other a bit more. We got deeply into a discussion of our favorite episodes. My favorite episode is the one where SpongeBob forgets how to tie his shoes and Gary comes to the rescue in the end, mostly because I am a big fan of Gary. Scott’s favorite episode is where Squidward has to have everyone perform in a band to impress an old rival. We both agreed that ‘everyone loves pie!’ After talking about our favorite episodes for way too long we finally settled down to work on the project. I didn’t even think about ripping his clothes off, too much. It felt good, unusual, but good to just hang out with someone. We had to present a mock news story and editorial presentation on an important current topic. When Grandma called us for dinner we hadn't even decided on a topic yet.

We were both surprised to see two extra-large homemade pizzas sitting on the counter.

"Delivery guys can never find this house. Besides, I like having an excuse to cook." Grandma explained when she saw our salivating faces. We sat down to the pizzas and soda.

"Wow! This is amazing and delicious. I don't think I have ever had homemade pizza before. Thanks Mrs. Westwood." Scott enthused.

"Please, just call me Sue."

"Yes, ma'am. I mean Sue." That made me wonder about how I address her. I always referred to her as 'my grandma' or 'my grandmother.' I wondered if it would be alright to just call her Sue as well. Unfortunately I did not know how to broach the subject.

"So you two are in a class together?" She asked.

"Three actually." I responded.

"A.P. English, Math and History." Scott explained.

"Which class is the project for?"

"History." I answered again.

"So what do your parents do Scott?" She turned her attention fully to Scott.

"They are both research psychologist at PSU."

"Really? Maybe I know them. I was a professor there until my retirement. What are their names?"

"Anita and Phillip Ford."

"The names are familiar, but I was in the Biology Department after all, not in the Psychology Department."

We made small talk about school the rest of meal until we had completely decimated the pizzas. The only awkward moment came when Scott was talking about swimming.

"Yeah, I swim almost every day. I invited Jay, but he hasn't taken me up on it yet."

"You like to swim Jayson?" She asked me.

"I used to swim all the time when we lived in Hawai'i." I answered and I immediately knew I said more than I wanted.

"I didn't know you lived in Hawai'i." My grandmother stated.

"It was a few years ago." I explained. Scott gave me, then my grandmother a strange look. It appeared as if he wanted to say something, but changed his mind.

I don't know if she picked up on something or not, but she changed the subject. "When do you have to be home Scott?"

"Not too late, I have a busy day tomorrow."

"Do you need a ride home?"

"Damn, I didn't think of that. I can call my parents and see if they can come and get me." Scott looked honestly chagrinned.

"Nonsense. You have your license, don't you Jayson?"

"Yeah."

"Do you want to take Scott home?"

"Really!?" I couldn't believe she was going to let me drive her car.

"Of course. You can't have your grandmother driving you everywhere all the time."

I think I positively beamed with excitement. I was going to drive her SUV. She was letting me drive!

We didn't work that much more on trying to decide the topic and we were no closer to a decision than before, probably because I was too keyed up about my chance to drive. The SUV was also much bigger than Mr. Chang's aging Honda and I was driving in unfamiliar territory. Scott gave me careful turn by turn directions, but I rode the brake a bit too much on the steep parts down the hill.

Scott's house was just south of downtown and I didn't think I would have any trouble finding my way back.

"Thanks for the ride. I can't wait until December when I get my license." Scott said as he got out of the car.

"I just got my license last week and this is the first time I've actually driven anywhere by myself. It's also the first time I've driven this car." I had to laugh to myself at that realization. I wonder if my grandmother knew this was my first time driving without Mr. Chang or a driving instructor.

"Your grandma seems pretty great."

"Yeah." This made me pause to contemplate certain things I had not thought about before. She stepped up and seemed to trust me without even really knowing me. "Yeah, I guess she is." Of course, there was a part of me that wondered about the price I would eventually have to pay.

"Um, Jay . . ." Scott became pensive, reserved like he had been earlier in the week. Something about him in that moment made him appear vulnerable. I wanted to reach out and comfort him.

"Yeah?"

"Never mind. I'll see you on Monday." He hurried to the door.

"Yeah, okay . . . see you." I said to somebody that was no longer there.

The drive home was filled with not erotic thoughts, but romantic images of Scott. I had often fantasized about sex with guys, including both Devon and Scott, but this was different. It was shades of my dream. It was just spending time close together, even walking on a beach hand in hand like some horrid homosexual Hallmark card. Of course, that lead me to thinking about the impossibility of it all and I was thoroughly depressed by the time I got home.

My introspective mood carried over into Saturday and I found myself moping around the living room idly flipping through channels to distract myself when the doorbell rang. Because of the location and hidden nature of the front door a random doorbell ring is a very unusual event. It must be some very determined Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Who could that be?" My grandmother went to the door.

"Oh Jayson, I think it is for you." I heard a moment later.

For me? Who? Scott?

"Hi, I hope you don't mind my stopping by." I hoped that Devon did not see my spirits deflate ever so slightly.

"Oh, hey Devon. What's up?"

"I would have called, but I didn't have your number." He said. "I was just wondering if you were busy and wanted to hang out?"

"Um, sure, I guess. Why not?" Devon seemed more reserved than usual, similar to the last time he was at my house.

"Come on, let's go." He urged me.

"Is it okay if I go with Devon?" I felt obligated to ask for permission.

"Of course, have fun."

I didn't even ask where we were going or what we were going to do.

"I hope you don't mind, but I thought we might just head to a mall. Maybe see what is playing at the movies." Devon told me as he drove through downtown and across the Willamette River.

"Okay, sounds good."

This was a very different mall than the one I had been in previously. It lacked the fancier stores like A&F, but it did have an ice skating rink in the middle of it. While taking a leisurely circuit of the mall Devon greeted at least a couple jocks out with their girlfriends hanging on them.

"Where is Dani today?” I figured he would rather spend time with her than me. Why would he want to spend time with me anyway?

"She's got a family thing, but we're meeting up later."

There was nothing interesting playing at the mall cinema so we ended up just watching people ice skate.

"Do you know how to ice skate?" Devon asked.

"Nope. Never tried it. You?"

"A little. I used to play some intramural hockey."

"Why did you stop?"

"I started to get involved in student government and the like. I decided that I liked that better than getting knocked around by bigger guys."

"I can't see you getting knocked around much. You're pretty built." Was that okay to say? Did it sound like I was lusting after him?

"Ha! Those guys take it too seriously. It's just a game."

"I'm surprised you don't play any sports or even captain a team. When I first saw you I was sure you were some sort of football jock."

Devon laughed. "The truth is I can't throw a ball worth shit. My Dad was happy when I showed an interest in student politics. I think he wants me to president one day."

"He must be really proud of you." The ever present weight in my stomach suddenly felt like a bowling ball.

"Sometimes. I think. He is very opinionated and you don't want to go up against him. He is also very conservative. There is a lot about me he doesn't know and I am sure he doesn't want to know. As long as I play the part he expects of me, everything is cool."

I didn't know what to say.

"What about your dad?" I should have known that the conversation would make that turn.

"He died." I stared at the skaters.

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.

And as you cross the circle line, the ice-wall creaks behind ---

you're a rabbit on the run.

And the silver splinters fly in the corner of your eye ---

shining in the setting sun.

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's

too damn real and in the present tense?4

I remembered how my dad loved Jethro Tull as the music skittered and slid though my mind.

"Shit. I'm sorry. Is that why you’re living with your grandmother now?"

"No." I could have just left it at that, but I didn't. "He died when I was nine. I'm here because my mom died on my birthday. Last week I didn't even know I had a grandmother. The social services people found her and here I am."

Despite the cacophony of the Saturday throngs in the mall we were standing in our own little oasis of silence. I never took my eyes off of the skaters. You are supposed to feel better after unburdening yourself. If anything the stones in my gut just became boulders. It was also true that I left a lot out of what I had just divulged to Devon. After a moment I felt his arm around my shoulder. It was a common enough occurrence with him that I barely flinched.

"Do you know what we need?" He asked.

"What?"

"Beer."

I don't drink, nor will I ever drink. I never even wanted to risk going down the same route I had seen others travel.

"I don't think so." I think my voice may have carried a tone that I hoped would forever put that to rest.

"Okay, barring beer, let's go ice skating."

"I don't know how." And I didn't want to make an ass of myself in the middle of a crowded mall.

"No time like the present to learn. Come on. Or are you chicken?" Devon had to make the taunt so that there was no way for me to say no.

Devon procured skates and tied them on my feet.

"I'm warning you I have never had skates on in my life."

"Here take my hands and just relax. I promise I will not let you go." I grasped on to his hands. "Ow, take it easy on the death grip. I won't let you fall."

I tried to relax a little as Devon gently, but firmly held my hands as he skated backwards and basically pulled me along.

"Okay, I don't like this. I'm going to fall."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"Here let me show you."

He deftly changed positions and held me at the waist from behind as he carefully guided my movements. It was a little reminiscent of how my dad taught me to ride a bike. My dad held on to the handlebars with one hand, the other was my shoulder and he ran beside me the first time the training wheels were off. I didn't even know I still had that memory. Or was it just something I had seen on TV and wished had happened?

"Don't you dare let go." I tried to move my feet a little, to actually skate.

"Never." Devon assured me.

"Crap!" I yelled as my feet went out from under me and I went down pulling Devon down with me. Luckily for me, but bad for him, he cushioned my fall.

"See I didn't let go." He laughed.

"Ugh. I'm sorry. That must have hurt."

"Nah. You want to try that again."

"Um . . ." I really did not know if I wanted to or not.

Getting up off the ice is infinitely harder than just not falling. I pulled Devon down three more times before we gave up in a heap of laughter. I finally crawled to the nearest exit. That was enough skating for me. Devon followed right behind me.

"Almost as good as beer." Devon commented jokingly as we got ready to leave.

"Better." I said. I had to admit I was feeling a lot better and I didn't even realize just how down I had been feeling.

My phone buzzed, showing Scott's number.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked when I answered it.

"Just hanging out with Devon." I would never have thought I would be in a situation where I was hanging out with a hot jock (non-jock?) at a mall ice skating and talking on my phone with another hot guy. Too bad they were both straight. But fantasies are free and uncomplicated.

"Oh . . ." there was silence from the phone.

"Soooo . . . what's up?" I asked.

"Um, I was just reading something online and I had a great idea for our project topic."

"Oh?"

"This is something I think is really important. We can do something else if you really object though." There was an edge to Scott's voice I had not heard before. It almost sounded as if he had been crying.

"What is it?"

"Gay teen suicide." I stopped in my tracks. I was dumb struck and I thought my mind would shatter into a million tiny pieces. Devon looked back at me with a quizzical look on his face. I didn't know what to say.

"I understand if you don't want to do this topic. I just think it is really important, no one else will have the balls to do it and it will really knock the teacher's socks off if we do it right. In any case I sent you some links. Please check them out before you say no, okay?" Scott spoke in a quick tumble of words, as if he was afraid that if he paused to breathe he would not be able to get the words out.

"Uh, okay." What else could I say?

"'Kay, later."

I stood staring at my phone. My good mood evaporated like the water on pavement in the sun after a Texas summer shower. It came on fast and intense and was over with only a vague memory remaining.

"What was that about? You look like somebody told you they just murdered a puppy."

I blinked a couple of times at him before I could even register who was talking to me. "Nothing." I mumbled.

"You sure, dude?"

"Yeah, it's just this school project I am doing with Scott."

"Scott's a good dude. I haven't really known him that long, but he seems like a really nice guy. Besides after what he has been through he probably deserves to be cut some slack."

"What do you me mean?"

"Uh, he should be the one to tell you if he wants. I only know things second and third hand, so I don't know how reliable it is. Not that it doesn't sound like you had rough time too. Just give him a chance."

"Yeah, I suppose. I should be getting home anyway now." What was he talking about? What happened to Scott?

"Okay. It's been fun even if you can't skate worth shit."

"I think that will be the first and last time I get on skates." We laughed and my mood lifted just a little.

When Devon dropped me off it almost felt like the end to a first date. Once again I felt like I should lean over and kiss him. I really wanted to, but it was just a couple of guys hanging out, nothing more than that.

What do regular (straight) guys do at the end of a day hanging out together?

Of course I couldn't kiss him, no matter how much it felt like the thing to do. Other than being too weird and potentially damaging to one of the only friendships I have ever fostered it could also make my life way too complicated if he kissed me back. Things were complicated enough and I really had no idea what I was doing with my life anymore.

So I left Devon in his car at the gate.

I did not see my grandmother when I came in so I just went to my room to check the links that Scott sent me.

I had not yet cried for my mother, but as I went from story to clip, silent tears clouded my eyes and streaked my cheeks. Sometimes I could not understand why they did it. To me they seemed to have great families where I had nothing of the sort. Strangely enough though, I never considered suicide, no matter how bad things were. I often fantasized about walking off into the horizon and leaving my mother and everything behind and creating a new and exciting life. Of course I didn't have a realistic notion of what that life would be. In my fantasies I would always become the stoic Clint Eastwood loner character riding into and out of the lives of others, but never touched by them again. Isolated western towns needing lone riding gunslingers with a mysterious past are pretty rare outside of the celluloid desert.

I wondered why Scott wanted to do this topic. Admittedly it was a hot topic and most kids would avoid it for the same reason I wanted to avoid it. I never experienced any bullying, at least not for being gay, but that was because I made sure nobody knew. What would happen if we did this? And wasn't Scott worried about the same things?

 

4Skating Away

Ian Anderson, Chrysalis Music Group, 1974

Copyright © 2015 pmdacey; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for the new chapter dacey! I like Grandma more and more as the story goes on...I only hope that Jay can eventually begin to trust her. The concern over Scott and Devon continues--things seem to hint at Scott being gay, but the bits of information we hear about Devon put his 'straightness' in doubt for me. Is Dani just a good friend for camouflage against his father?

 

As before, can't wait for the next bit! Be well!

Link to comment

Jay and Scott seem to connect nicely, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 'romantic developments'. Devon sort of creeps me out, but I don't know why. He could just be a nice guy who does his best to be friendly and cheer Jay up.

The very determined NO to drinking had me applauding loudly. Good for you, Jay !

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..