Jump to content
    podiumdavis
  • Author
  • 1,178 Words
  • 1,303 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Damiens Ordeal - 1. Damiens Ordeal

This story contains racial slurs, hurtful comments, hate speech, and horror. Readers discrection is strongly advised.

Damien awoke in the shadows, a place from one of his nightmares. It was a frightening thought, being afraid of the dark for the past forty some odd years of his tenured life, and yet now the darkness was his only companion.

“Hello? Is anybody in here?” he called out in a panic, his voice trembling with each syllable. “Is anyone here? Please, someone help me!”

His own voice echoed back towards him, scaring him even further.

“FUCK! HELLO?” he beckoned once more.

No body replied.

Damien was on his own, and in one way or another he discerned that he needed to get moving, somehow, and overcome the fear that managed to haunt him all of his years. With a bit of gusto, and a bit of psyching himself up, he reached out and found a wall that felt like glazed tile on his fingertips, and with the support of the wall, he forced himself up. Immediately after getting to his feet, they gave out from under him as a sharp pain radiated from his sides. With a thud, he met the floor again and cut his hand open.

“For all that is holy, what the fuck is going on here,” he muttered and complained to himself.

His rear end was soaking wet, he felt cold and unable to do anything about it. Just as the hair stood up all over his body, he remembered he’d bought a souvenir, a lighter, while visiting Florence on a business trip. He’d stuck it in his suit pocket for safe keeping to show it when he got home to his husband. He swiftly went looking for it and found it within a few seconds.

With a quick flick from his thumb, he ignited the fluid within and a light came forth.

He could finally see, and quickly brought the lighters flame towards his hand which he found ripe with blood. “Well, what the hell…” He then bent down and found a seven inch blade on the ground. “This must have been what cut me. God Damn It!”

He then directed his attention to his sides that screamed in pain. Here too was blood, seeping ever slowly from a wound. “I’ve been stabbed. Wouldn’t this just be my day?”

Damien fainted from this sight and slammed his head against the wall.

**************************************************************************

“Sir, can I interest you in watch? It’s a genuine Rolex,” a Florence street merchant questioned through a thick accent.

“No thanks, I’m just taking my time to look around this beautiful city, thanks though.”

After picking out a post card that showed the nude statue of David by Michelangelo in the fifteen century, and a lighter from a local merchant, he placed them in his suit pocket beside his plane ticket. He would only have another twelve hours to enjoy the city before going home, but before leaving, he wanted to check out more of the culture, and thus he decided to check out some of the night life.

A few hours later, he found a bar that had music blaring. It was deafening to his ears, but he still enjoyed the chance to try fresh wine from some of the local wineries.

“Give me the freshest wine you have my kind sir,” Damien asked in English to the bartender.

The man behind the counter shrugged. Obviously unable to understand the language or the accent of which this New Yorker spoke.

Damien getting the hint of the situation gestured for a drink, and pointed to a bottle on the wall. “That one sir, please.”

The bartender nodded and grabbed a glass, poured the red liquid into it, and passed it off.

**************************************************************************

Damien awoke, still on the ground, more soaked than before. “For fuck sucks, first my hand, then my side, and now my God damn head?” He struggled back to his feet, felt around for his lighter and gave it a flick. “Will this ever fucking end?”

With very little light, he clenched his side with his free hand, and ventured onward while using the wall as his guide. There was very little light given, but with time, he learned to trust his senses and used his feet to push things aside, feel around, and help him move forward without tripping. Eventually, he stumbled and used the lighter to see what it was. It was a broken shoe with the laces missing, and the sole completely gone. But that wasn’t the only thing that caught his eye, for within his sights lay a human skull. This frightened him dearly and he took a step backwards and allowed himself a minute to realize what he saw.

Jesus Christ, where the fuck am I?’ he questioned, unable to totally grasp what had really happened to him. ‘This can’t be real. I’m dreaming God damn it!’ He then pinched his forearm, but with that, a pain shot down his arm. “FUCK! This is real.” He swiftly proclaimed.

This would be so much easier if I had a flash light,’ he concluded as he decided to move onward in his hopes of getting out of this place.

With each step he heard an echo, a crunch here, a smash there, and light dripping of water every so often. It was eerily, though he was indifferent to the sounds, he deeply hoped that he’d get out alive. Eventually, he reached a fork, in one direction was nothing but darkness, while in the other a pin point of light shone in his direction. A glimmer of hope arose in his heart when he saw the light and he swiftly took pace towards it.

Damien dashed forward, skipping whatever hit his feet, for whatever it was, he didn’t want to know. After seeing a human skull, he didn’t want to make this his eternal grave. With a deep urgency in his step, he eventually reached the end, a tunnel with a bathroom off to his left, which he quickly entered.

A mirror rested on the wall, a bright light shining overhead, a toilet behind, and a sink in front. He looked at himself, his face not as he remembered. His lips were flush with lip stick, his cheeks with blush powered across, his forehead with the words, FAGGOT, across his head.

He didn’t like what he saw and swift ripped his dress shirt off. To his surprise there were more words written. Across his chest was whore, his stomach, nigger lover, his navel read, sinner, and across his arms read, you’ll go to hell for this. These were all words spoken against him in his life. These were all scars that plagued him. Would he so easily believe that the love he shared with his colored husband was wrong? Not so. But the words that were so easily spoken were charred in his flesh, and in that instant he awoke in his bed at home, his husband beside him.

In that very moment he awoke Aaron and told him of his dream. It was scary, but he knew that with his lover by his side that no matter what, no matter the words, he had a man that loved him regardless.

This story contains racial slurs, hurtful comments, hate speech, and horror. Readers discrection is strongly advised.
Copyright © 2013 podiumdavis; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very poignant. Scary at the start. I'm thinking he was grabbed and put somewhere dangerous. I'm not sure why the blood and the skull were there...unsure if they had some significance I am missing aside from making it a scarier place. But, the idea that things said are burned into you and can affect a person even if they don't realize it, is definitely true. The other thing was the sense of safety that can come in true love and the sense that you can face stuff like that with a partner by your side. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/08/2013 06:14 PM, Cannd said:
Very poignant. Scary at the start. I'm thinking he was grabbed and put somewhere dangerous. I'm not sure why the blood and the skull were there...unsure if they had some significance I am missing aside from making it a scarier place. But, the idea that things said are burned into you and can affect a person even if they don't realize it, is definitely true. The other thing was the sense of safety that can come in true love and the sense that you can face stuff like that with a partner by your side. Thanks.
Thanks Cannd. :) I did leave much to the imagination on how he actually got there. That was on purpose. But in my mind I think he got very drunk at the bar and decided to come on to some fellows who didn't like it. I wanted to make more use of that thought though, but I didn't. Thanks for reading :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, talk about a nightmare! It was such a build up with the hate and violence that he endured, I only wished there was just a little more. The end was so sudden. He's suffering in this perilous situation then suddenly... jarringly he's home?

This would be a great piece to flesh-out even a if only for a little more, keeping it still a short story, but adding just enough to smooth the transition and make it well rounded. Great job at scaring the bejesus out of me! :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/18/2013 12:19 PM, K.C. said:
Wow, talk about a nightmare! It was such a build up with the hate and violence that he endured, I only wished there was just a little more. The end was so sudden. He's suffering in this perilous situation then suddenly... jarringly he's home?

This would be a great piece to flesh-out even a if only for a little more, keeping it still a short story, but adding just enough to smooth the transition and make it well rounded. Great job at scaring the bejesus out of me! :P

Indeed, it was a terrible nightmare. I can understand the need for more. But this was a semi-experiment to leave much to the imagination. I would have loved to flesh it out more, but I wanted the reader to figure things out... Think of it as one of thsoe thinker films, stories hehe. And I know it ended suddenly, but if you were having such a dream would you not wake up suddenly too? :) Maybe at some point I'll take it further. Thanks for reading KC.. :) <3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..