Jump to content
    rec
  • Author
  • 472 Words
  • 2,863 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Palouse - 4. Chapter 4

Another Boy, Another Place

Chapter 4

Another Boy, Another Place – Fall 1986



A now 11-year-old David Stirling sat outside the Spokane music studio in his father’s Jeep Cherokee while his parents talked to his cello teacher. On the seat next to him was a musical instrument that was half as big as he was. It had been two years since he had started on the cello, and his parents had asked to confer with his instructor, Ivan Raminski. The Navajo decal that he had stuck on the outside of the instrument’s case was getting a bit shabby from wear, but he had left it on because it reminded him of his family’s trip to the Navajo reservation and the half-Navajo friend he had met on the airplane back.

David Stirling, Sr., sat next to his wife, Elizabeth, on the loveseat across the den from Mr. Raminski. David, Sr., looked the epitome of the lean, handsome, well-dressed, highly competent attorney that he was. His wife was dressed in a gray-tweed pants suit, her auburn hair cut to shoulder length. David, Jr., obviously had inherited her hair color.

“Our son has been taking lessons from you for a couple of years now,” David’s father said. “We need a candid progress report from you without David present. We know David’s been diligent in his practicing, and to our untrained ears, what he’s doing sounds fine. But we don’t want him to be disappointed if he doesn’t have enough talent to go much farther with his training. We have a strong reason to ask for a frank assessment, which we’ll tell you about in a moment.”

Mr. Raminski smiled warmly at his visitors. “Let me assure you, first, that David is quite talented – and dedicated. He’s not a Yo Yo Ma, but there aren’t many cellists who are. However, he has talent and a good work ethic; he plays exceptionally well for his age. You have nothing to worry about in encouraging him to continue playing.”

“The reason we’re asking,” Elizabeth said, picking up where her husband had left off, “is that we’ve been asked to join the board of the Spokane Youth Symphony.”

“I know.” Mr. Raminski smiled. “I recommended you.”

“Oh. Then, you must feel that David is good enough to play for them.”

“I do.”

“Whew,” Elizabeth sighed. “It makes it much easier to be on the board if our son is playing in the orchestra – legitimately – as you can imagine. But we didn’t want to have our son chosen for the orchestra just because his parents were on the board.”

“I assure you. David has the talent to be in the Youth Symphony. Rest easy, and go tend to your son.”

David, Sr., and Elizabeth smiled at each other and linked arms as they walked down the sidewalk to the car.
A very short chapter that builds the background of the other main character.
Copyright © 2013 rec; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..