Jump to content
    rec
  • Author
  • 1,440 Words
  • 3,284 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Palouse - 31. Chapter 31

Breakdown

Breakdown – February 1995

 

A Few Days Later

 

Things fall apart. The center cannot hold…

The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

William Butler Yeats

 

The phone was ringing. David looked at the red letters on his clock radio. It was just past 3 a.m. His roommate was sound asleep. David, though, felt the usual uncertainty, apprehension and fear when any phone rings at 3 a.m. He flipped his blankets back and walked across the room, hurrying, not knowing how long it had been ringing. “Hello,” he said, the sleep still in his voice.

 

“Come hold me.”

 

“Micah! What’s happening?” Alarm and worry drove David to full alertness.

 

“I’m lost, David. I’m lost.” The anguish in Micah’s voice came from uncomfortably deep within the soul.

 

“I’ll be right there,” David said. “You’re at your dorm?”

 

“Yes, David. Come quickly.”

 

David slipped on some clothes, grabbed his coat and the keys from the hook where he kept them, ran down the stairs to the door and was in his Civic seconds later. He turned the key and put his car quickly in reverse, not caring if anyone was coming down the road. He drove as fast as he could, through several red lights when he saw no one was coming and arrived at Micah’s dorm ten minutes later.

 

The outside door was locked. “Damn it,” David cried as he began pounding on the glass. He was about to find a rock to throw through the glass when someone came out of a room. David pounded on the door again and was heard. A sleepy-eyed young man in pajamas came and unlatched the door without saying a word, as if David was just another student who had locked himself out. David ran past him, down the hall and up the stairs to the third floor, taking two and three steps at a time. He ran to Micah’s room, tried the doorknob and was relieved that it turned. Inside, Micah was sitting on the floor, slumped in the corner, with five jars of pills arrayed in front of him. Even though the only light came from a dim bedside lamp, David could see that Micah’s eyes were red and swollen. David ran to Micah’s side, sat and put his arm around Micah’s shoulder.

 

“Did you take any of these?” David asked.

 

Micah shook his head no, almost too imperceptibly for David to see. David pulled Micah to him, and Micah laid his head on David’s shoulder.

 

“I feel so alone.”

 

“Not now. I’m here, and I’ll stay as long as you want.” David’s arm squeezed Micah’s shoulder in emphasis.

 

“Thank you,” Micah whispered.

 

David held Micah for half an hour in silence. The sky began to lighten. He finally asked: “Micah – so talk to me.”

 

“Casey’s dead.”

 

Micah took a few minutes composing himself. “You know, the boy I told you about – from Idanha and again last month when he turned up in Walla Walla. Last night, I got a call from the Spokane police saying the only thing they found on a man they found on the street was a phone number: mine. There was no wallet, no other identification except a piece of jewelry. They said he had been beaten and died, but maybe after a drug overdose. He had no wallet; they figured it had been stolen. They were hoping I could identify him. They described the man they found, and I was afraid at once that it was Casey. And when they described the necklace I gave him with the stone I found in the Salmon River, I knew it was Casey.

 

“I loved him, David, like a brother. We became so close.”

 

David couldn’t relate to Casey, but he could relate to the anguish in Micah.

 

Micah stood and started pacing, his voice rising almost to a scream. “Casey wasn’t a man, David. He was just a lost, screwed-up boy. I tried to help him when I found him here, but he refused. All he wanted was for me to drive him to Spokane, and I did. I dropped him off on the street. He said he was going to call his ‘uncle,’ but I know there’s no uncle. I gave him $50. I guess I sensed that something was terribly wrong. I let him down.”

 

“If he wanted your help, he would have let you help him.”

 

“The cops want me to come and identify him. I told them I would if I had to, but they should contact his parents in Prineville. Let them have the sad duty of identifying him. If they refuse, I told the cops, I can come, but I don’t want to.

 

“I asked them if they would send me his ashes if his parents didn’t want them, and I asked for the necklace back – to remember him by. The cop said he would send me the necklace for sure, even though he thought it was probably against regulations. I’m going to scatter the ashes around the hot-springs pool at Idanha – Casey was happy there – and I’ll return the stone from the necklace into the Salmon River where it came from. Maybe the river will remember his happiness when it gets that stone back.”

 

“Let me go with you when you go down to Idaho,” David offered.

 

“You don’t have to. You didn’t know Casey.”

 

“But I know you, and I know you bonded with Casey and grew to love him, so I know I would have loved him, too.”

 

Micah was overwhelmingly pleased at David’s offer as he sat next to him on the bed again. “I guess what is so scary is that it could have been me who became so lost. I could have fallen as far as he did if my parents hadn’t made me go to that wilderness trek and the Idaho school – and they were there if I had really needed them. In a way, Casey saved me because he needed me so badly in Idaho, and I stopped feeling sorry for myself; he was in so much worse shape than I was. By helping him, I started to get better. We both started to get better.” Micah sobbed.

 

“On top of this, the day before yesterday the Today show called because they were doing a series about child prodigies who had not gone on to fame; they wanted to show where and what they were today. I told them I wouldn’t talk to them, because it would be too painful. But I’m going to call them tomorrow. I need to face what I am now, have them see what I am now.” Micah dropped his head in dejection.

 

“Hold me, David. Everything is just going wrong.” David put his arm around Micah and drew him to his shoulder and just held him. After a while, the terrible sobs stopped, and Micah quieted, and then he fell asleep in David’s arms, his cheeks streaked with dried and fresh tears.

 

The two were huddled in the corner of Micah’s bed, one a refugee from the darker, sadder side of life. David finally extricated himself from Micah, leaving him lying back on the bed. He covered Micah up with a blanket as he watched him sleep. David was then able to inspect the bottles arrayed at Micah’s side. Sleeping pills, aspirin, a bottle of Vicodin and a few others prescribed, so the label said, for Micah’s roommate the past year. There was probably enough there to do some serious damage, David decided. He picked the bottles up and set them away from Micah, then lay on the bed beside him and fell asleep.

 

The bright light from outside began to flow into the room, which woke Micah, who took a few seconds to orient himself. He felt David’s comforting arm around him. David stirred; his eyes fluttered open.

 

“Thank you for coming last night,” Micah said softly.

 

“You’re welcome. I’m a friend; I’ll come any time you need me – just to hold you or to talk to you if that’s what you want.”

 

“I know.”

 

They sat for a few minutes, letting the sleep fade from their eyes.

Copyright © 2013 rec; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope Casey's parents have to live with the guilt of what they did to their son for many years to come. David is such a great friend. The greatest thing of all is Micah finally found his emotional side again in his grief over Casey. Now, he is going to face life head on it looks like by agreeing to the today show. Great idea, putting the stone back where happy memories were made for him and Casey. Beautiful chapter!

Link to comment

Another well written chapter...touching and sad. I hope Micah doesn't have to make that sad trip to see Casey.

The bright spot in Micah's life now is David and his response to Micah's call.

Link to comment

Micah has lived a life full of loss and isolation. That has been the hallmark of his

life. In that aspect he and Casey found common ground. He'd reached out to Casey

and helped him, since his situation was even worse. They gave each other hope.

Some part of that died with Casey, didn't it? At least Micah lives, and he's not alone.

Link to comment

As usual, I should have waited to open my mouth yesterday. I now see where this offshoot ties to the rest of the story! I loved it, sad as it was, and it gave me hope for the future of David and Micah.

Link to comment
On 04/18/2013 08:00 AM, jkeele777 said:
As usual, I should have waited to open my mouth yesterday. I now see where this offshoot ties to the rest of the story! I loved it, sad as it was, and it gave me hope for the future of David and Micah.
You are forgiven.
Link to comment

What a heartbreaking chapter. I also think Casey's parents should identify him and see what their actions did to their son. But I know they won't. They don't care at all about their son.

 

David is a true friend. Micah must be thankful that they ran into each other again after all this time. Micah needs someone he can turn to, he needs a friend he can talk to. David was so sweet to offer to go to Idaho with Micah to spread Casey's ashes over the hot springs. Micah will definitely need David then.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..