Jump to content
    rec
  • Author
  • 1,389 Words
  • 4,231 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Palouse - 43. Epilogue 2

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the reviews -- rec.

Epilogue 2

July 2001

It was five years later. It was New York City. Traffic was at a standstill on Seventh Avenue as Micah and David watched the taxi meter continue ticking away. They only needed to go four more blocks to 57th Street and Carnegie Hall where they’d been earlier in the day for rehearsals.
“We can walk the rest of the way,” Micah said to the driver, handing him money to pay the fare plus a tip. He grabbed the clothing bag with his tuxedo in it and hopped out of the car, followed closely by David. He had left his Guarneri safely stowed at the concert hall. The two of them crossed through two lanes of stalled cars and their exasperated drivers, finally reaching the sidewalk where they turned north and started to walk in the last of the autumn sun.
They had walked about 100 feet when they heard a young male voice behind them: “Excuse me. Can you tell me how I get to Carnegie Hall?” The voice came from a brown-haired, good-looking boy, probably about 16 years old. Micah and David looked at each other and started to giggle.
“Oh-oh, I set myself up for the oldest musician joke that there is,” the youth said.
“That you did,” Micah said, as he looked at David. “First, you need a lifemate that supports you and pushes you and is happy when you succeed.” He kissed David warmly on the lips. “Practice – practice helps, also,” and they all laughed at the punchline of the joke.
“Why don’t you follow us? That’s where we’re going,” David said. “My name’s David, and this, as you may have guessed, is my lifemate, Micah.” The three of them started to walk up Seventh Avenue.
“I’m Steven Elmore, and this is the first time I’ve ever been to New York. I live on a farm outside of Findlay, Ohio. I just got off the bus an hour ago, and I got off the subway too early.” His eyes moved from David to Micah and back. “Are you, er, together?”
“Yes, we’ve been together for a few years now,” Micah answered.
“Someday, I’d like to be with someone,” Steven said longingly, his eyes bright and serious. “But it’s hard to find someone when you live on a farm.”
“I know. I was raised on a farm in Eastern Washington, but I was lucky enough to see the world, including this part of it,” Micah said as he put his arm around David’s waist.
The light dawned on Steven. “You’re that Micah! Micah Kingman! You’re my idol. I’ve read all about you.” Steven bounced with excitement. “This is awesome. I came here to see you play. Wow! I have only 11 hours to spend in New York before I catch the bus back home and I meet Micah Kingman in person. Wow! You and Jake Cantwell are my idols. Out, proud, role models.
“I can’t believe this – meeting you. You’re the winner of the Queen Elizabeth violin competition in Belgium.
“You played at the White House.
“You’ve played with the New York Philharmonic and the Cleveland Symphony.
“You played with Yo Yo Ma.
“You started your own charity, Yei Rainbow Guardian, to keep track of and watch over foster children with Navajo blood. Then you played a nationally televised special concert at Window Rock on the Navajo reservation to raise money for it.
“You accompanied Bono on his latest CD. You’re amazing.”
“Don’t let all that exuberance go to your head, Micah,” David said, laughing.
They turned onto 57th Street and neared the concert hall. “Steven, I’m curious; why are you coming here so early in the day?” Micah asked. “The concert doesn’t start for several more hours. Most people don’t come here until just before the performance. ”
“I have to buy a ticket, and I thought if I got here early I might find someone who will sell one cheaply.”
Micah and David exchanged looks. Then, Micah said: “We have an extra ticket that you can have. You’ll have to sit with my family and some friends from Seattle, if that’s okay.”
“Hell, I’d sit with the hogs if I had to. Oops! I didn’t mean it that way.” Micah and David started laughing. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you,” Steven said as David handed him a ticket. “How much do I owe you?” Steven looked at the price on the ticket and blanched.
“Hmm,” David said, putting his finger to his cheek in apparent thought. “You don’t owe us anything for the ticket. It’s a gift. However, you are required to accompany us to dinner after the concert so you can recite all of Micah’s accomplishments again for those who don’t know the list. Otherwise, Micah’s head might deflate.”
A sad look came over Steven’s face. “I…I don’t have any money for anything but maybe a piece of pizza and a Coke.”
“You have the rest of your ticket money. However, your money is no good at our dinner party.”
“You’re way too generous, and I have to catch the bus at midnight, so I have to say no.”
David turned to Micah. “I guess he didn’t hear me. I said he was required to come to dinner with us if he accepted the ticket.”
“Do you think we should ask for the ticket back?” Micah said.
“Okay, okay,” Steven said, joy spreading across his lean face. “But I hope there’s something cheap on the menu.”
“The dinner could end late, and, as I said, your money is not good tonight with us. Isn’t there a bus tomorrow that you can take?” David asked.
Steven looked embarrassed. “I don’t have any place to stay, and even if there was a place, I probably don’t have any money for a room except for some place I shouldn’t stay at. I used all my savings to come here.”
“Hmm,” David said, striking the same finger-on-cheek pose as he had done earlier. “We have a suite at the Waldorf with an extra bedroom, so I think having young Steven here stay there will be added to the price of the ticket. He’s a hard bargainer. What do you think, Micah?”
“I think this young man needs to call home and tell his parents that he will be taking a later bus. That’s what I think.”
An overwhelmed Steven started to cry, tears streaming down his cheeks despite the pure joy in his wide smile. Micah and David moved up to him and put their arms over his shoulder as they walked the last few yards to the stage-door entrance, with Steven between them.
“Everybody’s going to meet us right here after the concert, so either follow my folks and our friends or just come here on your own,” Micah instructed. “I have to get inside to get ready.”
“That was sweet of you, luv,” Micah said after the stage door had closed behind them. “That boy will never forget this day, and I hope he finds a lifemate as wonderful as you are to keep him warm and true for the rest of his life.”
“You know, Micah, I hope he finds someone to support him when he falters and is happy for him when he succeeds.”
“Just like you.”
“Yep.”
As the lights dimmed two hours later, the visiting Chicago Symphony opened with Beethoven’s Coriolanus Overture, followed by Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto and a standing ovation for Micah. Sitting on the aisle five rows back were Stan, Kat and Betty, who kept wiping the tears from her eyes as her son performed. Next to them were Marcia Vilas, an awe-struck Steven, Jake, and Robbie. The promise of seats at Carnegie Hall made years earlier was fulfilled. Next to Robbie was Micah’s and David’s final guest of honor, an elderly woman from Phoenix, Arizona, who closed her eyes and remembered a nine-year-old, half-Navajo boy and Poppa M., her late husband, listening to the same concerto on the stereo.
After the concert, Micah and David treated family and friends to a late supper at Windows on the World, where they looked over the lights of Manhattan as they ate, accompanied by a couple of bottles or three or four of Robbie’s and Jake’s favorite Pol Roger Winston Churchill Cuvee champagne.

End
Thanks for reading, and thanks for the reviews.
Copyright © 2013 rec; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poppa M.'s wife got to see MIcah perform! What a lovely add to the group. I appreciate you sharing this wonderful tale of self discovery about these two great young men who made the journey together. :worship:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

An amazingly beautiful story that continued to grip this softy with all manner tears shed as Micah's past touched so much of mine and others life experiences. Thanks for the Epilogues in bringing closure. Above all else for your sensitive and imaginative literary talent in bringing the enriching stories of Jake and Micah.

Link to comment

Oh, who would have thought a Hullo and question directions could lead to a night one might never forget? And what a clever way of letting us know about Micah's success! And he got to meet his OTHER idol too. Is NYC the city where dreams are made of? :P

 

I thought it couldn't get any better, but Momma M. was there. We've circled all around, and what a journey it has been! This ending has got to be one of my favorites, and I've read a lot!

 

Thanks for sharing this gem with us!! :)

Link to comment
On 04/30/2013 06:07 AM, vinnyvin said:
Oh, who would have thought a Hullo and question directions could lead to a night one might never forget? And what a clever way of letting us know about Micah's success! And he got to meet his OTHER idol too. Is NYC the city where dreams are made of? :P

 

I thought it couldn't get any better, but Momma M. was there. We've circled all around, and what a journey it has been! This ending has got to be one of my favorites, and I've read a lot!

 

Thanks for sharing this gem with us!! :)

Thanks. A plain recitation of Micah's accomplishments would have been boring, and the Steven character provides a hook for a possible future (short) story for some author.
Link to comment

Thanks, Rec, for a great ending to a great story...a most satisfactory ending.

 

It is with some foreboding that I noticed where they were having dinner following the concert just two months before it and the World Trade Center were tragically destroyed.

Link to comment
On 04/30/2013 09:03 AM, MikeL said:
Thanks, Rec, for a great ending to a great story...a most satisfactory ending.

 

It is with some foreboding that I noticed where they were having dinner following the concert just two months before it and the World Trade Center were tragically destroyed.

Thanks for noticing. I even had to change the timeline a bit for the dinner.
Link to comment

It is not just a coincidence that life's little surprises are best when someone pays it forward. People being kind, generous and remembering that encouragement and help can make a difference for someone who is already working hard are parables for the best of us.

A very well-told and interesting tale. Thanks for sharing!

Link to comment

What a beautiful ending. I loved hearing about everything Micah had done in the past five years. I was also wary when I read that it was July of 2001 in the city. I was hoping you weren't going to make this into a real tearjerker.

 

Luckily it was a good tearjerker. Momma M got to see Micah perform, Betty had her time onstage and Steve had a night he will never forget. :)

 

Wonderful story rec! I'd love to read a "sequel" about Steve if you do write one. :)

Link to comment

Wow! I loved this story and it became one of those that you just can't put down. Life had to be put on hold for it. And thank you for such a fine ending too. So satisfying and rewarding for us romantics. Beautifully crafted and developed. Sad to be leaving Micah and David though. They got under my skin. I will be quite lost for a bit until I find another good story to get involved in. Thanks again!

Link to comment

Just retread this story a second time. Saw it on another site and couldn't wait for daily postings. Even better the second read

Link to comment
On 05/01/2013 10:41 PM, Lisa said:
What a beautiful ending. I loved hearing about everything Micah had done in the past five years. I was also wary when I read that it was July of 2001 in the city. I was hoping you weren't going to make this into a real tearjerker.

 

Luckily it was a good tearjerker. Momma M got to see Micah perform, Betty had her time onstage and Steve had a night he will never forget. :)

 

Wonderful story rec! I'd love to read a "sequel" about Steve if you do write one. :)

I'm not good about replying to such nice comments. The date of July 2001, of course, predates 9/11, but you will notice where they had their post-concert dinner--on the 104th floor, as I recall.
Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 04:03 AM, Quiet man said:
Just retread this story a second time. Saw it on another site and couldn't wait for daily postings. Even better the second read
Thank you, again.
Link to comment
On 08/23/2015 02:57 AM, quokka said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

Thanks for writing it.

keep up the great work...

I truly appreciate your comments.

Link to comment

all i can say is thank you so much,a story says alot about an author,i read it non stop and loved every word,only someone with a beutifull sole could have written this story.

Link to comment
On 12/31/2015 11:34 AM, bubby1234 said:

all i can say is thank you so much,a story says alot about an author,i read it non stop and loved every word,only someone with a beutifull sole could have written this story.

It's always nice to get a compliment long after the story has been finished. Thank you.

Link to comment

What a fine and endearing story. The depth of knowledge of Navajo places like Window Rock fashioned together with a adept feel for the emotions of a boy growing up in tough situations is evident in this wonderful story. Understanding the many different feelings of mothers and sons as well as lovers and lifemates make this such a good story. Thank you for this and especially for the tenderly warm ending. Will we find how Stephen's life unfolds in another story? Thanks again for all your efforts in bringing Palouse to us.

Link to comment
On 10/22/2016 07:51 PM, johnnyjon1 said:

What a fine and endearing story. The depth of knowledge of Navajo places like Window Rock fashioned together with a adept feel for the emotions of a boy growing up in tough situations is evident in this wonderful story. Understanding the many different feelings of mothers and sons as well as lovers and lifemates make this such a good story. Thank you for this and especially for the tenderly warm ending. Will we find how Stephen's life unfolds in another story? Thanks again for all your efforts in bringing Palouse to us.

Thank you. Unfortunately, there won't be a sequel -- unless I can convince someone else to write one.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..