Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Writing Prompts - 5. Prompt #107 ~ Inanimate Object

Prompt: Everyone knows the old saying, “if these walls could talk.” Well imagine something that would be around someone for a while. Is it the blanket on the bed, a child’s beloved toy, or maybe the morning coffee mug? Bring that object to life and let it tell about the person it is always around.

It’s almost time for him to get home. I love being the one he turns to when he’s had a rough day and just needs to relax. His mood seems to determine exactly what part I will play when he sits down in his chair and turns me on.

I’ve seen him at his best and I’ve seen him at his worst and I’ve even seen him in some of the most intimate moments of his life. It’s amazing what people do when they think nobody is around to see them. If I could actually speak, oh the stories I could tell. Not just about him, but to him.

The front door opens and he walks in and sets his keys on the table. He walks by me and goes into the kitchen and when he returns, the beer in his hand tells me that he’s had a rough day. Which means tonight will probably be a comedy night. He always seems to watch comedy when he’s had a bad day. My only guess is that it’s to help lighten the load and bring some laughter into his day.

See, my owner is a cop. While I have sat here, muted, I’ve heard him on the phone talking to someone about his day; I still didn’t know what being a cop was all about. Sure, there were all those cop shows, but he didn’t watch them very often. When he did, some parts he would just kind of nod, as though some part of the show really depicted what being a cop was like. Other parts, he would get very vocal about how that’s just not how something happened. So I knew some, but definitely not all of what his life outside of home was like.

He sets his beer on a small table by his recliner and walks past me, again, to go to his bedroom. This is another part of his routine. He’ll go get out of his uniform and take a quick shower before coming back to just sit back and relax. That’s when it’s my turn to brighten his day and give him something to escape in.

I know that it won’t be much longer before I am replaced. I am old. He’s had me for quite a long time, and even though he takes good care of me, I wasn’t meant to last forever. I know this, and I’m curious as to what he will replace me with when the time comes, but that’s not really something I like to think about. After having him for an owner, I really don’t think I’d want anyone else.

It’s not long before he comes back into the living room, but he’s not in a pair or sweats or pajama bottoms like I’m used to. His dark hair is slicked back and he’s wearing a pair of jeans so tight that I can’t help but wonder how he can breathe in them. He’s got a t-shirt on that molds to the planes of his chest and shows off the muscles that he’s spent so much time molding to his standards.

Someone knocks on the door and it all makes sense. He’s going out tonight. He opens the door and I can see hear the happiness in his voice as he greets his visitor. When his guest walks in, it’s not someone I’ve ever seen before. It doesn’t really matter; if they stick around I’ll see plenty of them, because they don’t know that I watch everything they do. They’re like my own personal television. I see him look at me and he laughs.

“Damn man, this thing is ancient. Why haven’t you traded it in and gotten a flat screen yet?”

My owner stops in front of me and studies me before reaching out and resting his hand on top of me. Yes, I’m old, but I still work. Unfortunately, I can feel my time here coming to an end, and while I know he will have no choice to replace me, I’m curious as to how he will answer his friend.

“Just because something is old doesn’t mean it’s no good. Why get rid of a perfectly good television just because there’s newer technology out there? This one does me just fine.”

Well, there it is... Curious as to what everyone thinks, so let me know! Thanks Comicfan for putting up the weekly prompts!
Discuss this Prompt
Copyright © 2012 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ah, the ever faithful television set. Not one I would have thought of immediately. I like how you dealt with this. Not so an easy a task I set but well done. :)

Link to comment
On 01/28/2012 01:31 PM, comicfan said:
Ah, the ever faithful television set. Not one I would have thought of immediately. I like how you dealt with this. Not so an easy a task I set but well done. :)
Thank you Wayne. I did think about the coffee mug and other things like that, but then I thought of the TV and thought, hey, that might be something a bit different! Glad you enjoyed it!
Link to comment
On 02/04/2012 11:19 AM, JOeKEool said:
Nice job Renee. Now my TV's looking at me.
LOL! I was thinking of that when I was writing it. What would my TV say if it could speak about all the things it's seen over the years! Thank you Joe!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..