Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bodark Creek - 25. Chapter 25

When Charley started having babies, he didn’t stop. “You’re going to be an aunt again,” he wrote, letting me know before he told anyone else in the family. That sent me scrambling through his other letters, looking for one I’d somehow forgotten to read. The one that told me Charley had gotten married.

“When did you get married?” I scribbled back. But I already guessed he was playing games with me.

“Didn’t I tell you?” he answered cheerfully. “The last time I was in port.”

I didn’t know where “port” was for him anymore, but I thought it was still Los Angeles. For a moment, I wondered if he’d found a Hawaiian bride. That and a new baby would be too much for me to tell my brothers all at once. At that point, I hadn’t even told Rosalind. She’d tell Dock, and it was the kind of thing he’d carelessly tell my brothers. He liked seeing them off balance.

“What’s her name?” I wrote Charley, figuring that might at least tell me if the girl was from California. I already knew she’d be young. Charley was twenty-five, but almost never dated anyone near his age.

“We’re thinking of calling her ‘Jasmine,’” he wrote back. “But I’m betting it’s a boy.”

What kind of a name is ‘Jasmine?’” I wanted to ask, though I was slightly irritated that he’d purposely answered the wrong question. Still, I said nothing as we swapped another pair of letters, and I waited for the news. “You’re doing a lot of writing to Charley lately,” Martin noticed, as the unborn baby grew.

“Jasmine’s a flower,” I wanted to tell my husband. “Or a perfume no woman in this town would wear. But it won’t be the name of my latest niece.”

“You’d better hope it’s a boy then,” Charley would have written. If he’d been standing there, he would have grinned. I never gave him the chance. Instead, I’d carefully asked, “What’s your wife’s name?”

He wrote back, “Mrs. Charles Clenton Bronner.”

Now I was more than irritated and was also getting a little nervous since no one in my family knew what I was keeping secret. Charley must have figured that out, because the next time he wrote, he said, “I know our family isn’t full of letter writers like you and me. But you’d think that at least one of them would send ‘Congratulations.’ It’s not like I get married every day.”

“Charley got married,” I told everyone that Sunday, figuring I’d save word of the baby for another time. But as soon as I told them, my brothers got about ten feet tall. “Charley! Charley! Charley!” was all they could talk about. “The baby in the family’s going to be a daddy!”

“How do you know?” I asked quietly, wondering if Charley had also written them.

“Come on!” Dougie insisted. “We’re talking about Charley! You know he’d never get married ‘less he had to!”

“And she must be really something,” Sonny went on. “Or he would’ve just skipped back to his ship.”

“And never gotten off again,” Walter finished. “Not in that port.”

My brothers all loved the fact that Charley was traveling around the world, having all the fun they might have had if they’d been younger.

“Actually, Charley’s wife is going to have a baby,” I admitted. Though I didn’t tell them its possible name.

That shot them to the roof. I’ve never seen three men so happy. “Charley! Charley! Charley!” they shouted. Even Dock and Martin joined in. And when the baby was born, and Charley called us from the base hospital, everyone had to talk and talk.

“How does it feel?” we asked.

“How do you feel?”

“How’s your wife doing?”

“What’s the baby look like?”

“Who does she look like?”

“When are you gonna have another?”

“We’re fine! Fine! Fine!” Charley told us. “Everyone’s fine and wonderful! I just wish you were all here!”

That afternoon, it was all we talked about as we tried to figure out how to visit California. But none of us really traveled much, not past Dallas, and no one could leave their farms, or jobs, or children for very long. So we had to put it off, leaving everyone a little disappointed. Though when news of another baby, a second girl, came less than a year-and-a-half later, we went through the whole thing again.

“We’ve got to see him,” Dougie insisted. “There must be a way.”

“Now’s a worse time than before,” Sonny explained, trying not to ruin the celebration..

“If it was just a different month,” Walter said.

Charley’s second daughter was named Delphine, and her baby pictures looked just like her sister’s.

“Can you send us more?” I wrote. “Everyone wants one.”

“I’ll try,” Charley answered. “But you know how it is. I barely get enough time in port, let alone to take pictures.”

“Oh, come on,” Rosalind said. “He sent us snapshots of every place he’s been, from Ireland to Singapore. He could take pictures of the babies.”

“That’s when he was single,” Dock pointed out. “He’s got bigger things to think of now.”

“And you know Charley,” I told them. “He’ll do what he wants when he gets around to it.”

“They’re just little blonde-haired girls,” Charley wrote back. “They look like any other little blonde-haired girls. But I promise I’ll load my camera the next time I get home.”

“When will we see you?” Sonny had me write. “When can you come and visit?”

“I hardly get time to see my wife these days,” Charley wrote. “I can’t pack the four of us on a train and get halfway across the country and back in a week.”

But he did send pictures. They showed two little curly-haired blonde girls, an equally blonde and pretty wife, and Charley in dress whites.

“If I had that uniform, I’d have a wife like that, too,” I overheard Dougie tell Walter.

“I had the uniform,” Walter almost sighed. “But I hardly got to wear it.”

It seemed like Charley wasn’t wearing it a lot, either, at least not in port. Because we soon got pictures of his third daughter, Glennis.

“He sure knows how to name them,” Dock said, something I’m sure everyone was thinking.

“I’ll bet his wife picks the names,” Rosalind said, only partly defending Charley. “And they’re certainly more interesting than her own.”

That was Marion.

We never did get to ask how she named her daughters. And we never got to meet her. All too soon, Charley was at war.

2021 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ah, the days of letters in order to get news from family.  When I started college 800 miles away from my birthplace, mother and I exchanged letters weekly.  Phone calls were rare due to the cost and neither of us had much money.  Oh how this story brings back so many memories!  I really love it!  You may have written it just for an audience of 1, but that one is appreciative!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yeah, when I was younger, I used to write letters a lot, and I still write e-mails and texts as if they were letters and notes.  But very few of my friends take that kind of time.  It's kind of relaxing though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..