Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bodark Creek - 41. Chapter 41

When the mill closed, everyone was surprised, and nobody was surprised.

“I never thought it would happen,” Dougie said.

“I can’t imagine the town without it,” Rosalind agreed. “It’s just always been there.”

“It’s not like the building’s going away,” I told them. “And maybe it will only be closed for a year, like the last time.”

“That would be great,” Dougie admitted. “Maybe someone will buy the place and get it really going again.”

But that didn’t happen. The mill closed and stayed closed. For a while, the owners went on trying to sell it, first as a business, then for the land with the old buildings attached.

“That’ll never work,” Walter predicted. “It’d cost more to clean the place out than it would to knock it down and start over.”

“And no one wants that kind of factory anymore,” Dougie added. “It’s not even air conditioned.”

“It never was that hot,” Rosalind said.

“Oh, come on, sis. We were always miserable in the heat. But we had no choice but to keep on.”

“I still miss it,” Rosalind said.

And the town missed it. For years, the mill was its biggest business, and it kept a lot of people working. That changed some after the war. But even after some people lost their jobs and others retired, the mill kept more people working than any other place in town.

“What’s gonna replace it?” Rosalind asked. “The town needs to find a new business.”

“I don’t know,” Del told her. “We’re still the county seat. That brings in a certain amount of work. And the college is getting bigger. The hospital’s growing. And maybe a lot of little businesses, like the one we’ve got, can take the place of one larger one.”

“It’s more stable,” Neal added. “I mean, every little business isn’t gonna go broke at the same time. And every store hires at least a couple of people.”

“You want to hire me?” Rosalind asked them, though she seemed to be kidding.

“I thought you were doing fine,” I said.

“I am. Besides, I wouldn’t know what to do in an office.”

After the mill closed, the other thing the owners did was to continue to rent the houses. First, they said that anyone who was living in one could stay and just go on paying what they had been. Then they said that any house that was empty was for rent. The only problem was that almost no one was interested. Partly because there were better houses, as cheap. And partly because there was no reason to come to town. Soon, some of the mill houses started to fall apart.

“That’s a shame,” Del said, one afternoon when we were visiting Rosalind. While she and I chatted, Del had been out walking the neighborhood.

“The mill has no choice,” Dock told him. “They have no money.”

“I wonder if they’d consider selling,” Del asked.

“Who’d buy?”

Del would. He was interested in a couple of the houses. “Neal and I need places to live,” he said. “ With Joann and her kids, our house is getting mighty tight. Neal and Val could buy a place. Susan and I could buy one. And we could get a third, between the two, for the insurance office.”

“I don’t think the mill would sell,” Dock said.

But they did. It turned out that no one had asked before. They sold a couple of houses at a time, first as far from the mill as possible, to keep the land in one piece. Then they started selling any house they could, to the people who’d been living in them.

“Rosalind and Dock would really like to buy their house,” I told Martin one evening. “But you know they don’t have the money.”

“It’s kind of Dock’s fault,” Martin said. “If he’d been working all these years...”

“There’s no point blaming Rosalind for that.”

“I’m not. It’s just...”

“And with everyone suddenly making investments...”

Martin laughed at that. “You’re starting to sound like the boys. You’re starting to believe them. Del and Neal and all their darned insurance schemes.”

They weren’t schemes, but I knew what Martin meant. He thought that people only deserved the money they worked very hard to make. And while he knew that our sons worked hard on our farms, he wished they weren’t also fooling around in some office. Still, I said something to Dougie about Rosalind’s house, though it turned out he already knew. And he’d already spoken to Walter.

“It’s not like we don’t want to help Rosalind,” they told me. “But it would be just like Dock to turn around and sell the place if we bought it for them.”

“Rosalind wouldn’t let him do that.”

“You never know with Dock,” Dougie said, grinning. “He’s been able to convince her to do a lot of other things.”

“Like what?” I asked.

“Like marry him in the first place,” he said, grinning some more. “That was a mistake. Rosalind could have done lots better.”

I had to laugh. “They’ve been happily married for over thirty years,” I said. “How could she have done better?”

“How could Dock not be happy?” Dougie asked. “He hasn’t had to work most of his life. Heck, put me in that situation, and I’d be happy, too.”

“You are happy,” I said. “You were with Virginia, and you are with Leona.”

“You know what I’m talking about,” he went on. “Rosalind could’ve had a real husband, one with a steady job. And she could’ve had more children.”

“That’s all this family needs,” I joked.

“Yeah, I guess we’ve all done fairly well there,” Dougie admitted. “Daddy began it, and the rest of us just kept up. We should have another reunion sometime, to get the latest count.”

So he and Walter bought the house for Rosalind and Dock. Martin and I put something towards it, too, though not a lot because we had Joann to think of. Dougie tried to convince us all to put the house in Rosalind’s name, but we talked him out of it.

“It’ll just cause trouble,” Martin advised. “Dock knows how you and Walter feel about him, but why point it out? Just give them the house. If Dock sells it, well, we’re all gonna be dead in ten years anyhow.”

“Who’s gonna be dead?” Walter asked. “I’m just a teeny baby. I’ve got at least fifteen years to go.”

“And maybe another wife,” Dougie kidded.

“Don’t bet against that.”

But Walter was happily married, too, and his youngest daughter was only thirteen. He wasn’t going anywhere.

And neither was the mill. It just sat there. Empty. Haunted, the children began to say, though I’d never heard anything about that.

“If it’s haunted, it’s only by good memories,” Walter pointed out. “I’m not sure anyone’s even died in there.”

“Mama did,” I said. “My mama.”

I’d managed to embarrass Walter in a way I hadn’t intended.

“I didn’t mean that,” he stuttered.

“I know,” I said. “Don’t worry.”

“And I’m sure, even if your mama was a ghost, that she’d have the good sense not to hang around an old cotton mill. She’d probably be haunting her old garden. Or out walking in the woods, with Sonny.”

“Now that’d be a picture,” Dougie said. “Your mama in her early fifties, and Sonny in his seventies. They probably wouldn’t even recognize each other.”

“Not when you think how young we all were. I mean, when she died,” Walter said. “I couldn’t have been more than twenty-five.”

“Thirty,” I counted.

“Was I really? It seems so long ago.”

“Sonny would’ve been thirty-six.”

“Are you sure? I didn’t think he was close to your mama’s age.”

“I still miss her,” I said. “The older I get, the more I think of how much we had in common.”

“I can’t even remember what she looked like,” Dougie admitted. “Outside of old pictures. I can’t picture my mama, either, but I remember Virginia. And we hardly have any pictures of her at all.”

“Virginia was very pretty.”

“Maybe. Maybe for those days. But not compared to women you see today.”

“Women today are really something,” Walter joked. “Women today would kill both our mamas.”

I laughed, but quickly added, “My daughters are some of the women you see today. And so are yours.”

“Not mine,” Dougie said. “Doris... my oldest... She’s almost older than your mama was.”

“She isn’t. Is she?”

“Even my granddaughters are getting up there.”

“But they’re all beautiful,” Walter said.

Dougie laughed. Walter always had an eye for pretty ladies. And he didn’t care if they were family.

2021 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It is interesting to note how mill towns in New England have dealt with the closing and their empty buildings.  It has taken years for many, but many old mills have been turned into apartments and senior citizen housing.  Many...not all by any means!   As I mentioned before, my thriving town of birth was a great place until all the factories closed.  There are some efforts going on now for small businesses to get started, which is a positive note.  However, will it ever return to its heyday?  Much doubt! 

I love the reflection going on about the changes in their time.  That is the one constant we can all count on - things do change, whether for the better or worse.  What can still be a value that remains is the possibility of working together for the good of all.  Hence, the age-old tension between the individual and the community.

Link to comment

Yep, I have several other books set in one of those comfortable, western Massachusetts former mill towns.

The most recent, Recycle, a very short one, is posted here, and its companion short piece is still being written so will be here eventually.

GWM, Tall Man Down, and Quabbin -- all here -- are also set in that area, and The Pendleton Omens starts and ends there but spends the bulk of its time in Los Angeles.  Oddly, I only spent seven years, total, living in the two small towns in Massachusetts that serve as the town's source, and only four in the main one.  But that's become one of the main bases for my writing.

The other -- for the Alan Damshroeder E-Mail books -- is Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where I only spent two years, several years apart.  The main character in Mexico comes from that area, too.  That's incidental to the story, but shapes his low-key personality.

I've only been to the town that's Bodark Creek once, for an afternoon, but, fortunately, the Internet filled out some research and my early fiction reading the rest -- as I mentioned, Hellman, Lee, and Capote.  The story's mainly about family anyway, so, as with Mexico, the place shapes their personalities.

The things writers leave out of their stories is probably best left out, but that's a little of their backgrounds.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's been a while since I read Quabbin and the Pendleton Omens.  I lived in Lawrence, MA, for three years while attending college.  I had friends whose parents worked in the mills.  I remember those times well.  So many parallels with the factory existence I had as a child. 

Link to comment

I don't think I was even in Lawrence.  I lived in a town about a third its size, but southwest of Boston rather than northwest.  But there was nothing in this town, so I was in Boston almost every weekend from Friday to Sunday nights.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..