Jump to content
    RomanRomaan
  • Author
  • 498 Words
  • 597 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Me Senseless - 2. Nothingness

div style="text-align:center;">Prompt 428 – Creative
 
Tag – The Nap
You have been feeling totally drained lately and just don’t know why. Rather than go to see the doctor you decide you just need rest. You call into work and take a week off. Your boss isn’t happy but it is your first vacation in two years. You curl up on your couch and proceed to fall into a deep sleep. When you finally do wake up, you find you are in a hospital bed and fifteen years have passed. What happened?
 
***

I stared around the room, blankly. I had no sense of reality. This was like a dream. My eyes took a while to adjust to the light and the aesthetic whiteness of the room. The sudden barrage of doctors who flurried into the room made me wish for that peaceful nothingness than I had previously known.

There was a throbbing pain in my ear and with that, the occasional bleeping of the machines and the coils of rubbery tubes that surrounded me were raising hell with my anxiety. I wanted to be nowhere near that god-forbidden room at that point in time.

Where was I? Why was I here? What was the cause of this?

Why was I alone?

I refused to go through another second of the self-pity that I was feeling and thus, closed my eyes and hoped for a repeat of the previous state, but the doctors were having none of that.

As soon as I could close my lids, a man with the blackest hair possible and the deepest dimples said to me: “Mr. Levi? If you can hear and understand me blink.”

I acquiesced and gave the winningest smile I could conjure up as a bonus. Even in face of tragedy, I was still desperately seeking for a life partner. Pathetic? Touché.

He didn’t return my smile. Rejection wasn’t new to me so screw it.

“Mr. Levi, I’m Dr. Carlos Braithwaite. You’ve been in a stroke-induced coma caused by a blood clot in your brain for the past 15 years.” He said.

And maybe it was the drugs, I don’t know but the mellow feeling that overtook me after he said those words failed to allow me to give an intelligible response. Dr. Braithwaite, however, did not push any further.

I said nothing for the next half an hour as various doctors came in, ran test and then left. I expected family, closeness, but I got none. Then a curly haired Hispanic woman turned up.

“Mr. Levi, finally, oh my God!” she shouted. She was a nurse.

I knew nothing about this woman except of her outward appearance but it felt nice to know that I could solicit such a response from her. I smiled.

”You’ve been here since my Tyde was still in my womb, and now she’s starting high school!”

I wanted to speak to her, but no words came. My facial muscles went numb and I fell back into nothingness.

Thumbs up to any soul who reads this!  :thumbup: My MVP.
2015 Roman
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Oh damn. I had such high hopes there at the end. But, poor Mr. Levi stroked out again, didn't he?

Link to comment
On 07/05/2015 04:17 AM, Reader1810 said:

Oh damn. I had such high hopes there at the end. But, poor Mr. Levi stroked out again, didn't he?

LOL! I'll leave it up to your imagination...for now. ;)

Link to comment

Nice job portraying the desperation of someone so totally alone, craving contact; yet unable to connect. And, even so, lots of questions unasked--and unanswered.
Good job!

Link to comment
On 07/05/2015 08:36 AM, Robert Rex said:

Nice job portraying the desperation of someone so totally alone, craving contact; yet unable to connect. And, even so, lots of questions unasked--and unanswered.

Good job!

Thanks for the review, Rob. Guess that makes you an MVP. :);)

Link to comment

Good work with the prompt. The confusion and loneliness are palpable. Where is his family? Does he ever have visitors? Did he have another stroke? So many questions.

Link to comment
On 07/05/2015 12:29 PM, LitLover said:

Good work with the prompt. The confusion and loneliness are palpable. Where is his family? Does he ever have visitors? Did he have another stroke? So many questions.

Sorry for the late response, LitLover. Just saw this. Thanks so much for reading and I'll leave those questions for your wild imagination to pursue! :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..