Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 1,038 Words
  • 2,384 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Eight Seconds - 1. Eight Seconds

Before

Excitement. But you feel petrified. Exhilarated, knowing that the future is, one way or the other, going to change your world. A friend slaps you on the shoulder; you tense up, and then remember to breathe again. You sit there, trying to feel comfortable, trying to stop your hands from sweating, wishing your jeans weren’t so tight. Everything hangs in the balance, everything. And like a man waiting for the axe to fall, you don’t want the next moment to start, but you can’t stay in limbo. The moment is right, everything is perfect, and you know you need to commit. You nod.

One

And there you are, bam, right in the beginning of a new relationship. Just you and this other guy, knowing your time together is limited, knowing you need to make everything count in the here and now because the future isn’t guaranteed at all. Everything is tense, every muscle on edge, and your heart is going a thousand miles an hour. You barely dare to breathe, to move, to even think about anything else because everything is right now. There is no past, you can’t even remember what came before, or wonder about what might happen next, because there is nothing but the now.

Two

Now it’s time to move, for both of you. He tests you, works out where your limits are. Like two dogs circling; sizing each other up. Nostrils flaring, eyes blazing in a jumble of mad emotions. You can’t think about what to do with your hands, though you need to, and your thighs are so tense your muscles feel like steel. He is all coiled like a spring, ready to catapult you into the stratosphere, suddenly wanting to be rid of you and gone.

Three

You’ve worked each other out, figured out what goes on in that head of his, discovered what all those looks mean, analysed the body language. Now you both want to push each other, drive each other crazy with what you want. You wanna win, so does he, so you push against each other, trying to find a middle ground that works for you both. He’s stronger, you’re more determined, and it goes on.

Four

Halfway, and the sweat starts. Shirt wet, chest tight, heart hammering away like some kind of massive broken steam engine. It’s impossible to draw breath now, to even find your other hand, remember where you left your head. Belt buckle digs in painfully, and you wish you hadn’t worn it. Both of you are soaked, both of you are full of fire and totally exhausted, knowing you have to go on, knowing that it’s far from being over.

Five

Now you feel it, the imbalance, and the impending doom. You’re tired from fighting; you want it to be over, to be done. But you can’t. You can’t leave him victorious. It takes everything you have to stay there, to keep holding on to something you now know is broken. There is still only the here and now, and it’s not possible to think about it all ending so soon. You want to keep going, because it’s so good, so beautiful, and so perfect when you’re together. It’s all going to come crashing down around you, but for now, you’ll do anything just to stay in the moment, immortalised together in some photograph.

Six

The fights get worse, every time he comes closer to knocking you down. Each time you connect you get closer to losing grip altogether. Everything hurts, every muscle burns. You’re both totally soaked, sweat pours off you. You wish you were anywhere else but here. Nothing could be worse than this, but you know if you push, you’ll both get through this, you’ll both live, and you could be happy in the end. Hanging on for dear life is painful, but letting go will be worse, letting go would mean to crash and burn. This could be such a beautiful thing you’re doing together, you keep doing it. Keep your head, keep your balance, and hold on.

Seven

The table tilts, and you can taste the idea of victory. You’re still there: together, joined, bound, tied up tight with no space in between to even fit a piece of paper. Now you’ve found your balance, you feel weirdly calm and confident, like it’s all going to be OK. Then everything shifts, and he could be in winning position again, the power balance tips and turns like a spinning plate coming to its final stop. You hang on with everything you’ve got, knowing that if you could both hold out a little longer, then what was great could be magical. You can think of how far you’ve come, how much you’ve been through together, every push and shove; it might have all been worth it.

Eight

Ecstasy, completion, climax; the moment you’ve both been waiting for. You’re done.

Afterwards

Time to hit the sand, get up, get running. Time to hope and pray all that anger isn’t directed your way now it’s all over. You’ve done it, escaped, and done something amazing. He turns to look at you, one last long stare, and there’s no anger now, only respect and a little bit of love mixed in with resentment. Just like the first time, there is no going back now, and you nod before he shakes himself and leaves. Sensation comes rushing back like water from a fire hydrant, and there is a scary moment when you found you had forgotten how loud the world was. All you’ve heard is your heartbeat, his heartbeat, all you’ve felt is the tension between the two of you, but now it’s all there, and you’re stripped bare your senses, laid out and broken.

But victorious. All this happens in an instant, and then you’re up on feet properly, hollering out your pride, waving your hat around in the air. A moment which lasts a life time, the moment where everything can change, but you did it, you fought and won and lasted long enough to make the world scream your name.

These are the hardest eight seconds in sport.

Copyright © 2014 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I didn't read what the chapter was about; I just clicked on the chapter title. At first I thought it was about wrestling or MMA or something. Lol, boy was I wrong!

 

And of course the whole time I'm reading this I'm singing the song. It was named after the Jake Owen song, right? You should hear me sing that while I'm shoveling snow! lol

Link to comment

I looked at the title and the first thing to pop into my mind was RODEO!!! (so I'm with Sanguine on that), but then that covers 3 or 4 "events" in a rodeo, so that threw me... and I don't have a clue as to what song Lisa is talking about, but I was entertained, and so...I started reading the story and boy did my mind hit the gutter... and fast too...

Then I got to the end and again, was "thrust" into the world of rodeo... successful ride between a cowboy and bull/bronc/steer/etc... the crowd cheering, the cowboy leaping off the animal and heading for the gate...

And then, you threw me again... with the final words "in sport" and I was again confused... so, I have to ask... what sport?? other than rodeo events, use an 8 second timer?? Certainly not weightlifting (hold for 3), swimming is a no go, diving as well... Football, basketball, baseball and soccer are all out... so, please... enlighten me...

Again, despite my confusion, I enjoyed the way you wrote it...

Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 11:16 AM, SanguineAffair said:
Really interesting take on bull riding. I loved it. Hard to breathe while reading it!
thanks very much, had to breathe while reading is about what I was going for.
Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 11:54 AM, Lisa said:
I didn't read what the chapter was about; I just clicked on the chapter title. At first I thought it was about wrestling or MMA or something. Lol, boy was I wrong!

 

And of course the whole time I'm reading this I'm singing the song. It was named after the Jake Owen song, right? You should hear me sing that while I'm shoveling snow! lol

actually, i do not know the song... It was just stuck in my head because i've been watching loads of PBR lately.

*must go look up song*

Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 12:49 PM, gdavis001 said:
I looked at the title and the first thing to pop into my mind was RODEO!!! (so I'm with Sanguine on that), but then that covers 3 or 4 "events" in a rodeo, so that threw me... and I don't have a clue as to what song Lisa is talking about, but I was entertained, and so...I started reading the story and boy did my mind hit the gutter... and fast too...

Then I got to the end and again, was "thrust" into the world of rodeo... successful ride between a cowboy and bull/bronc/steer/etc... the crowd cheering, the cowboy leaping off the animal and heading for the gate...

And then, you threw me again... with the final words "in sport" and I was again confused... so, I have to ask... what sport?? other than rodeo events, use an 8 second timer?? Certainly not weightlifting (hold for 3), swimming is a no go, diving as well... Football, basketball, baseball and soccer are all out... so, please... enlighten me...

Again, despite my confusion, I enjoyed the way you wrote it...

glad you enjoyed.

The boys in the PBR define Professional Bull Riding as the hardest 8 seconds in sport - so you were right on the money. and as for hitting the gutter, thank you! That's just what i kinda wanted to hear. Turns out there are parallels between sex and rodeo...

Thanks for the review.

Link to comment

I don't know, Sasha...I came to this straight from Cowboy Summer, so I figure bull-riding...but somewhere along the line, I got the idea it was about a relatoinship between boyfriends. Am I nuts?

 

The bit about it being 'in sport', reminded me of Jase and his cavalier attitude toward his partners and sex.

 

I was never into rodeo or western stuff, but if you write anything else like CS, Chasing, or this, let me knw! I'll be right on it!

Link to comment
On 10/15/2014 08:06 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
I don't know, Sasha...I came to this straight from Cowboy Summer, so I figure bull-riding...but somewhere along the line, I got the idea it was about a relatoinship between boyfriends. Am I nuts?

 

The bit about it being 'in sport', reminded me of Jase and his cavalier attitude toward his partners and sex.

 

I was never into rodeo or western stuff, but if you write anything else like CS, Chasing, or this, let me knw! I'll be right on it!

no, you're not nuts.

Yes, bullriding, the hardest eight seconds in sport.and yet, at the same time, a relationship: between a man and bull, between a man and a man, between equals. However it best sits with you. I can very much imagine that, coming from CS, it would sound kind of like Jase...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..