Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 2,973 Words
  • 2,615 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wicked Boy - 4. Chapter 4

He felt guilty walking into church. Guilty and very much as though he was being watched, and judged. Jeremiah’s family hadn’t been terribly religious, though his mother had liked to attend Sunday service when he and his sister were younger. They had both been baptised. Jeremiah was slightly ashamed to admit he had no idea what sort of church he was even in – he’d just picked the biggest one in the surrounding area of the city. His logic had been simple; if a demon appeared in one part of the city, he might be likely to stick around there.

He made an approximation of a genuflection in the aisle, and then shuffled into an abandoned pew. Whatever this church was, it was lovely on the inside. The alter was adorned with heavy gilt candlesticks and thick white drapes, the area around the front of the church had inlaid flooring, and Jeremiah spent a while staring up at the huge stained glass window before he felt again that he was being watched. The young man turned where he sat, and scanned the pews behind him.

Three rows back were two people, although ‘people’ could only be used in the lightest sense of the word. One was pale, and practically glowing. He wore a neat shirt and suit, and his pale skin gleamed in a manner which should have seemed unhealthy and pallid, but somehow didn’t. The other figure was rather harder to distinguish, vanishing somewhat into the cavernous blackness of his hood. But his eyes burnt brightly.

“I swear you always pick the weirdest places to meet.” The darkened one was speaking. “I could always corrupt your young preacher there, though.”

“Good luck with that. He feels up the choir boys when he thinks no one can see. He’s already yours.”

“Do you not think you oughta do something?”

The pale figured shrugged, and the movement seemed lighter, larger… as though there was a further element of the man Jeremiah could not see.

“Not really. As for meeting here, nowhere is safer. It’s not like anyone up there is ever actually listening.”

“I keep on wondering why they let you back in. I mean, playing chess with a demon?” The darker figure began to unwrap a long box-like package.

“He’s a good opponent. I suppose I’ll be white?”

“Probably best.” The demon began to set up the pieces on the pew bench between them. “And yes, little human, we are both aware you’re listening. Why don’t you come closer?”

Jeremiah flung himself to the floor with a squeak of surprise.

“He’s come over all shy.” The demon was mocking him.

“Well are you surprised Shax? You do have this habit of intimidating people.” The pale figure sighed. “It’s alright boy, come on out now. We ain’t gonna hurt you.”

“Speak for yourself. He looks delicious.”

“Shax… you’re not helping.”

“Fine, fine!” Jeremiah peeked through the back of the seat in time to see the demon shrug and fold his arms. “I can play nice.”

Jeremiah sat up.

“Are you gonna kill me?”

“Probably not.” The demon shrugged again and dropped back the hood of his cloak. “It sort of depends on what you want.”

He looked almost entirely unlike Jeremiah would have expected a demon to look. His skin was black, with dusky shades like the skin of a purple peach, and he had a handsome face, full lips and close cropped dark curly hair. He also had horns like a bison which spread from the top of his forehead ad down before sweeping up in the customary points. It was obvious he polished them. Apart from the black eyes and the horns he looked rather a lot like a hot Nigerian guy Jeremiah had once had a date with.

“My name is Shax, this is my… colleague.” The demon smiled in an ironic manner. “Iyah. You are?”

“Jeremiah. Are you a demon too?”

The one called Iyah laughed; a sound like the ringing of a silver bell.

“He’s not. But you’ve met another demon before today, haven’t you?” Shax made a show of looking what he could see of Jeremiah up and down. “Come sit closer boy, chop chop.”

Willing his legs not to shake, Jeremiah stood and walked back until he could slide into the pew in front, turning to form a close triangle. It was harder to look at Iyah for too long, or try too hard to make out any of his features. The light got in the way.

“So, who did you meet?”

“How do you know I met someone?” Jeremiah pouted.

Shax rolled his eyes, and the gesture made him seem much less scary.

“Because you’re not insane, you’re not on the roster of Enlightened Humans and you’re not the local Rectory Officer’s new boyfriend.” Shax nodded to his friend. “Boy went and got himself a werewolf for a bed mate.”

“That could end badly.”

“Time will tell.” Shax turned back to Jeremiah. “Which means you’ve been visited. And now you want to know more.”

“He called himself Kai…” Jeremiah intoned softly. “And he was beautiful.”

He told them everything, from the way they had danced together to the exact bright shade of Kai’s eyes. He skipped over the sex a little bit, not especially wanting to share the details of something he considered important and private, but he described Kai as well as his tongue would let him, every scale, every breath, and every nuance of his touch.

“Carful there kid.” Iyah laid a hand over Jeremiah’s. It was smooth and hard as marble, but warm. “You’re starting to sound like you’re in love.”

“I want to see him again. Can you help me?”

“I can.” Shax frowned. “It’s whether or not I should. When a demon leaves, they don’t often come back. What makes you think he will want to see you?”

Jeremiah glanced down at himself where he sat. He was getting a bit unkempt, too distracted to do laundry, much more focused in the shower on jerking off than scrubbing his hair. He had no proof at all Kai would want to see him again, nothing to say that he would be welcome when he showed up. But on the other hand, he was in a church talking to a demon who had been about to play chess with a creature Jeremiah could only assume was an angel… he could risk it.

“I have to try. Not knowing is worse than anything else.”

Shax sniggered.

“Humans… you people always think a broken heart is the worst it can possibly get for you.” He stood, and settled his hood back over the great horns. “I’d best be off old friend, sort out what this one wants and needs. We’ll play next time?”

“Sure. Have fun Shax.” The pale glowing man waved at Jeremiah. “Good luck kid.”

“Thanks…” Jeremiah realised that Shax had already started to walk down the aisle towards the main doors, and he ran to catch up. “Hey… is he an angel?”

Shax laughed. It sounded like wood knocking on a tombstone.

“Iyah’s a great friend, but he’s no angel.” Shax took a small cloth bag from some hidden pocket and began to fiddle with the objects within as though he was counting. “So you want to try and find this ‘Kai’ of yours huh?”

“Yes.” Jeremiah answered quickly. “What do I have to do?”

“Well, the portal has been in use recently, which means he’s probably returned home.”

“Oh… so what does that mean?” Jeremiah’s voice fell, anticipation slacking off in the face of disappointment.

“It means we have to go to hell.” Shax shrugged. “Come on, you need to know what you’re getting into.”

“I don’t care.” Jeremiah stopped, shocked at the strength of his voice. “I don’t care how dangerous you say it is, I want to see him again.”

“And what if he doesn’t want you?” Shax whirled on him, his voice hard and sharp as a blade. “He left. What will you do when you turn up and he wants nothing to do with your poor tortured soul?” The demon took a deep breath. “You can’t come back. It doesn’t work that way, and to stay in the centre circle you have to be kept by a demon.”

“What happens outside the centre?” Jeremiah suddenly found he was slightly scared. “Don’t people live there?”

“Not really.” Shax finished counting whatever it was he had in the bag and slipped it back into his pocket. “Look, are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes.”

“Well what’s in it for me?” Shax folded his arms. “What do I get out of this deal?”

Jeremiah looked down at himself. In truth he had nothing to offer the demon, doubting that money or material goods were enticing to him. All he had was his body. He cleared his throat.

“Don’t even say it. I much prefer girls.” Shax sighed. “I’ll make you a deal. I’ll take you to hell and when, sorry, if your demon doesn’t want you, you’ll stay with me.”

“I thought you said you preferred girls?”

“People I live with have other tastes.” Shax drew himself up. “Time’s a wasting kid.”

Jeremiah took a deep breath. This was it. His brain spent several nanoseconds having a massive panic: where was he going, why was he going? People would miss him: he had a job, rent to pay, parties to go to. How was it he could see Shax, when others passing them by clearly couldn’t? At least, not in the way that Jeremiah could. And what if Kai didn’t want him? Would he be happy to be traded in sexual favours to demons he didn’t know, possibly for the rest of his life? It all passed in less than a breath, because the doubts cleared to the vision of the beautiful snake’s green eyes and the way he kissed. He couldn’t not know.

“Yes.”

“It’s your funeral.” Shax shrugged. “Alright, this way.”

“Where are we going?”

“Portal. A place where the world is thin. Come on.”

Jeremiah followed him blindly, down several city streets and across the park. He was surprised at how near his house they were. When Shax stopped, Jeremiah wondered why, because they were nowhere special. Just a residential city street of old Edwardian terraces, now all a bit run down having been rented out to students. Shax was standing by a gap where one terrace ended and another began, and space not quite wide enough to admit a fully grown person. The demon patted his pocket again.

“What have you got in there anyway?”

“You don’t wanna know.” Shax smiled evilly. “It’s just part of my job.”

“Your job? Demons have jobs?”

“Sure we do. I’m a caretaker.”

“What is it you take care of exactly?” Jeremiah took a step back from the black demon.

“I told you, you don’t want to know. Here, take my hand. We’re going in this way.”

“I won’t fit!”

“Don’t think about it.” Shax turned sideways and began to push his way into the gap. It was a painful thing to watch, though the demon seemed fine with squeezing his frame into a space not more than twelve inches across.

“Oh no! I can’t!”

“Think about something else. Shax grabbed his hand. “You really want know what’s in the bag? Bones. I look after a graveyard and you can grow the most wonderful things from the finger bones of infants.”

Jeremiah’s stomach wretched, like he wanted to throw up. His head ached as the demon pulled him closer, his vision skewing madly.

“Fuck! Shut your eyes!”

Jeremiah slammed his lids closed. There was a squeezing, as though being compressed by giant hands. He couldn’t breathe. His mind whirled with visions of Shax tearing the bones from recent corpses with his fingernails. His consciousness was tearing at his brain, trying to get free of the sensation of pressure, and then with a pop, it was all over.

Jeremiah blinked once, and opened his eyes. He was staring up at… stars? Only they weren’t stars, they were much closer than stars, and the sky above them was truly black, as though it had been painted by a teenage Goth. He looked about for Shax and watched the demon chatting with a man who had the lower half of a snake and looked at him like he might be edible.

“You’ve been gone longer than usual.” The half-snake commented. “And I see you brought home a friend.”

“He’s not for me. He’s looking for someone.” Shax handed the large demon one of the soft bones from the little bag. “Here, from Upstairs.”

“You always bring the best presents Shax.”

“Thanks.” The horned demon removed his cloak and somehow re shaped it into a long loin cloth which he tied about his hips. “I didn’t expect to see you here. Aren’t you usually at the palace?”

“No one is currently at the palace. The Prince is angry.” The half-snake sighed. “Kiaza came home.”

Jeremiah could not have explained why, but the strange name made him sit up, concentrate, and take interest.

“I don’t think we ever met.” Shax cocked his head. “Does he live with you?”

“For now he’s having Kiorl’s room. We’ll have to build something. Might be nice, Vru and Atoki want a basement.”

“He’s settled in nicely.” Shax nodded in reply.

Jeremiah realised the two demons weren’t even totally aware that he was awake, and he wondered how long he’d been passed out for. The young man got up, brushing brick dust and soot from his jeans.

“As bizarre and interesting as this conversation is, you’re not living up to your end of the deal.” Jeremiah shook himself gently. “You said you’d help me find Kai.”

“I got you into the centre circle of hell.” Shax sounded like a quarterback gloating over winning the big game. “Not impressed?”

“You know, with the exception of Atoki, he might be the most stable and sane human ever to come through the portal.” The big half-snake said. “What do you want boy?”

“He said he’d help me find Kai.”

Shax rolled his eyes.

“Kid says he was visited by some shape changing demon who had the hottest ass ever and bright green eyes.” The horned demon cast a disparaging look between Jeremiah and the snake. “And scales apparently, I think he’s delusional.”

“Scales and a shape changer you say?” The half-snake man raised an eyebrow ridge at Jeremiah. “Shiny, green, about yay high and cute as fuck?”

“Yes?” Jeremiah hung on every word the big snake said.

“His name’s not Kai, but I know where he is.”

“You’re fucking kidding me?” Shax gaped as the big snake man began to lead them away from the portal. “You mean he’s not totally crazy? Who is this guy?”

“Well, you get to meet Kiaza, and you get to see your demon. Good eh?” The huge snake turned to look over his shoulder at Jeremiah. “I’m Inai, and I’m gonna bet you’d be Jeremiah.”

“How did you know?”

“He talks about you in his sleep. He denies it, but I heard him. He’s been sleeping in the hearth in the den most nights.”

Jeremiah gulped. Kai thought about him, talked about him in his sleep. Maybe his journey into hell had been worth the trouble after all.

He and Shax followed Inai through the rather black and fiery land of hell, and Jeremiah couldn’t manage to pay attention to anything very much. He smiled at the people they saw, though he couldn’t remember their features, stepped around weird stalagmites and patches of lava, and tried not to think about how hard his heart was beating. Instead, he spent a little while listening to his internal voice yammering away like a yappy little terrier.

Hell. Oh, holy fucking shit. I’m in hell. And there are demons! Everywhere! Oh Christ, he’s got hands like eagle feet. Don’t look, don’t look…. Ooohh! That’s a giant scary tentacle. Quick, don’t go near that unless you want to be thoroughly raped…

“Here we are.” Inai turned and smiled at him. It was almost a nice smile, slightly pitying and slightly hopeful. “You ready for this?”

“I think so.” Jeremiah was shocked to find his palms were sweating and he was sporting a semi in his jeans. He wiped his hands on thighs nervously. “Inai?”

“Yes boy?”

“What’s his name? I mean the one he uses?”

“Kiaza.” Inai pushed open the door. “Hey guys, we have visitors!”

And there he was, sitting in the enormous stone fireplace, surrounded by the licking of warm flames, perfect in every detail of smooth iridescent scales. Jeremiah met his bright green gaze and stopped breathing.

“Guys this is Jeremiah. Kiaza, I think the two of you have met.”

Jeremiah was aware there were other people present in the same way that coma patients knew there was a world outside their own skulls. He couldn’t have torn his gaze from the little snake if his life had depended on it. Kiaza opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came. It was only when the soft sound of someone sniggering broke into Jeremiah’s mind that Kiaza was able to find his voice.

“Everyone else out! Now!” He hissed in a tone that left no room for negotiation. “Go!”

The others near fled the room and Jeremiah walked right up to the skinny scaly boy and fell to his knees to kiss the lips that had evaded him for so long. Kiaza tasted like nothing Jeremiah had a frame of reference for, but just as the thought surfaced that it might take a delicious lifetime to find out, Kiaza’s small hands were on his chest, and he was expelled backwards across the rich carpet.

“No.”

Copyright © 2014 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ah, denial. Good chapter my dear. So glad to see you writing for the hell boys again, I find myself oddly addicted to them. Not as much as the wolves mind you, but hey. We all have our favorites. ;)

Link to comment

"No" seriously! he went to hell to meet him and all he got was a no, i feel real bad for the boy.

Link to comment
On 03/24/2014 02:40 PM, SanguineAffair said:
Ah, denial. Good chapter my dear. So glad to see you writing for the hell boys again, I find myself oddly addicted to them. Not as much as the wolves mind you, but hey. We all have our favorites. ;)
I'm not allowed have favourites. Can you imagine what Kiorl and Co would do to me if i picked one of them over the others?
Link to comment
On 03/24/2014 03:27 PM, nostic said:
"No" seriously! he went to hell to meet him and all he got was a no, i feel real bad for the boy.
Kiaza is a moody bitch sometimes.
Link to comment

No !? WTF Kiaza, are you out of your scaly mind ? Here's this clever, devoted guy, who went through hell (literally) to find you, and you tell him No. There had better be another explanation than rejection for this, or else I hope Kiorl spanks your hot little butt. Which might be hot too :P

Well, I guess it is embarrassing to have all your house mates witnessing that moment where you're confronted with the fact that someone is in love with you and you might just feel the same way too. Especially after denying forever that it would happen :lol:

Oh and then there's the small matter of what it takes for Jem to be able to stay. I'm not sure I'd fancy having that conversation with the Prince of Hell no matter the rewards: "Oh hi Nassau. Ehm yeah well sorry about that imitating your dead lover stunt and running away for hundred years. Oh and by the way this is the human who loves me, and woud you mind making him immortal, so we can spend the rest of our lives together ?" Bet that little request will go over real easy with the enraged Prince - NOT :evil:

Brilliant chapter, Jem is great. And I'm so happy everyone adopted the nickname. Which I mainly used because I can't spell Jeremiah without looking it up :*)

Link to comment
On 03/25/2014 03:27 PM, Timothy M. said:
No !? WTF Kiaza, are you out of your scaly mind ? Here's this clever, devoted guy, who went through hell (literally) to find you, and you tell him No. There had better be another explanation than rejection for this, or else I hope Kiorl spanks your hot little butt. Which might be hot too :P

Well, I guess it is embarrassing to have all your house mates witnessing that moment where you're confronted with the fact that someone is in love with you and you might just feel the same way too. Especially after denying forever that it would happen :lol:

Oh and then there's the small matter of what it takes for Jem to be able to stay. I'm not sure I'd fancy having that conversation with the Prince of Hell no matter the rewards: "Oh hi Nassau. Ehm yeah well sorry about that imitating your dead lover stunt and running away for hundred years. Oh and by the way this is the human who loves me, and woud you mind making him immortal, so we can spend the rest of our lives together ?" Bet that little request will go over real easy with the enraged Prince - NOT :evil:

Brilliant chapter, Jem is great. And I'm so happy everyone adopted the nickname. Which I mainly used because I can't spell Jeremiah without looking it up :*)

this may be one of my favourite reviews of all time.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..