Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ranch Hands Two: Jerry's Season - 1. Chapter 1

This is the 1st version; the original. If you read the 1st book, you know who these guys are already...if not a quick rundown. Sid and Roger met 2 years ago; a broke farmer and a guy fleeing an abusive relationship. they got together and married and now live happily on their farm. Jerry is the town whore more or less, druggie, etc, and loves to fight and even more loves to sleep around. But there's a reason behind all of it for sure.

CH 1

Springtime had been kind to the town and most especially the farmers. Sid and Roger’s farm, which had been saved by Roger’s suggestion of growing soybeans, had once again become a working farm. With additional funds for ethanol and other crops, the couple had finally realized their dream; they’d made it a real, working ranch with the addition of 10 head of cattle and two horses.

Roger had finally planted the substantial vegetable garden that he and Sid had discussed months ago while they were still just friends. He was thrilled to see his intricate plans were finally coming to fruition.

Times were good for the couple and everything around them. Not only had they gotten married, but they’d also resurrected the farm into the new business S & R ranch.

True to their word, the couple moved onto their next project and promise to Jerry Evans, the town drunk. They’d made a promise to him on their wedding day to assist their new friend in whatever way they could.

It was June, a scant three months after their wedding. Sid and Roger took a work break and went into town to the diner to have lunch. They walked in and said hello to all the regulars. It felt good to be at least accepted on a friendly basis in the small Kansas town.

The two selected their regular booth right by the window that faced the street. Traffic buzzed by in the not-so-sleepy burg. Passers-by would stop and glance in the window and either wave or look away. Sid glanced down at his menu. He’d seen the same menu for nearly two years, but he still had to look.

“Hmm, what looks good today?” he rubbed his bare chin with is rough, pale hands.

“I dunno, but I’d better watch it.” Roger interjected. His hand brushed along his bearded jawline. “That back molar of mine has been givin’ me issues.”

Sid put down his menu and shot him a concerned look. “We need to get you to the dentist, my dear. Is it loose?”

Roger put his finger into his mouth and wiggled the molar back and forth a bit. “Yeh…just a wittle bit.” He uttered with his tongue still in the way. He spit out his finger and swallowed. “Guess we can drop by there and make an appointment on the way home.”

Sid nodded, his red hair swished in front of his face and across his collar. It’d grown a bit longer from the time they’d met 18 months prior. Such different days back then. Surly, broke, desperate. Then this handsome raven-haired lad came to live with him and helped him to save not only his farm, but his broken heart. Sid smiled at the memory.

Roger noticed right away. “What’s on that mind of yours?”

Sid’s green eyes gleamed as they gazed into his husband’s gray optics. “Nothin, just remembering when you and I first met and how things were those first few months.”

Roger grinned. “Ah yes, weren’t we something else? I remember the day we first kissed.”

Sid nodded and brushed his companion’s hand lightly. He glanced at the shiny ring on the man’s left hand. “I remember that vividly. Just wish that week afterwards wouldn’t have happened.”

“Well, it did, but I’m glad it did. It let us take a step back and see if we really wanted to be together or not. I’m glad we chose to be.”

“I couldn’t get you out of my head, boy! Especially when that bastard Quinn did what he did!”

Roger bowed his head. He still had nightmares of that awful attack sometimes. He’d close his eyes and see himself naked, hog-tied, with huge Quinn behind him holding a gun to his head.

Sid grasped Roger’s hand. “It’s alright. He’s in prison and you got out of that alive! Thank God for Jerry!”

Roger nodded and chased away a tear. “Definitely! I’ll never forget hearing that shot from a rifle and I thought for sure I was dead! When I saw the hole in the ceiling, I knew something else had happened. I look over and there’s Jerry standing there, gun smoking, and the barrel pointed at Quinn. I always knew he was a decent guy.”

Sid took Roger’s other hand. “I always hoped he was. I’m glad I was right. He’s sure proved himself to us lately. He works damn hard! I don’t think he sat down most of last week!”

Roger laughed. “Do you think we’re pushing him too hard? Or is he doing that to himself?”

“Naw, he’s a workhorse, he just needed a place where he belongs. I think he’s trying to prove himself to us that he can work just as hard. He’s a young guy, strong, good worker. Strange how fate works, isn’t it?”

Roger nodded. “That it is, my husband.”

The waitress, Melba, walked up to the table. She was a portly older woman, with her gray strands twisted into a strange beehive hairdo. Her mint green uniform and eyeshadow were matched, which augmented her dark hazel eyes. She had her order pad ready.

“What’ll it be, boys?” her smoky voice asked.

Sid glanced down at the menu once more. “I’ll have the pulled pork sandwich.”

She turned to Roger. “Sir?”

“I’ll have the reuben. I’ve never tried that here.”

Melba grinned, cracking her bright pink lipstick which was pasted on far too thick. “It’s good, honey. Got some fresh ‘kraut in today.” She winked at him and wrote down the order. “Anything to drink?”

Sid picked up his water glass and showed her it was empty. “One more of these.”

Roger caught her attention and before she could ask he uttered “Iced tea.”

She scribbled down the rest of the order and took the menus. “Be back in a jif.”

The couple sat back in their seats and returned to people-watching. It was a hot day out, in the upper 80’s. Most folks still wore jeans and long-sleeved shirts though to work in their gardens. Sid sat up and tapped on the window suddenly.

“Doc! Hey, doc!”

Roger squinted to see through the dusty pane of glass and recognized the town dentist, Dr. James Hall. He was a tall man; he towered over most of his patients at a neck-craning 6’7”. He’d been the town’s basketball champion in high school 20 years ago. He’d been the town dentist for the past 10. His hair had turned salt-n-pepper, but his eyes were still the kind, shimmering blue they’d always been. Friendly eyes. He had the best chair side manner of anyone in the medical field for the tri-county area. He peered in the window and recognized Sid’s flaming red hair.

“Hi, Sid, Roger!”

“Come on in for a minute! Roger’s got a molar problem!”

The dentist nodded and hustled past the rest of the waiting patrons to sit beside the ailing brunette.

“How are you, Roger?”

“Been better, doc. This molar’s feeling loose to me.” He pointed out which one with his finger and the dentist leaned over to look.

“Yes, hmmm, oh yes. That doesn’t look too good there. I’d like to bring you in tomorrow if you’re free.”

“What do you think it is? Will it have to be pulled?” Sid asked.

The dr. took another look, deeper this time. He pulled away Roger’s hair-covered skin a bit and examined below the gumline. “I don’t think I’ll have to pull it, but a root canal and crown aren’t out of the question.”

Roger sighed as the doctor removed his fingers. “Dammit. Well, it’s my own fault. Hey, maybe I can chuck down half a bottle of whiskey like Jerry did. Remember that, Sid?”

The redhead laughed aloud. “Do I ever! Doc how did you ever get him sober enough to get back home?”

The dentist laughed in remembrance. “We kept him there a while until he sobered up. It’s not everyday you get 17 teeth pulled at once. I know he didn’t feel a thing. He was out like a stone.”

Roger rubbed the tooth with his tongue “I sympathize, bigtime. As bad as this hurts, I can only imagine how much all of his ached. I remember first seeing his teeth, yikes! Wonder how he got bad so quick.”

“He drank, he smoked, and he did drugs. The gums pulled away in protest! They didn’t want all that garbage near them. What you saw is the direct result of that.” The dentist explained.

“Wow, but so fast? I guess he was using pretty hard.” Sid commented.

“Too hard. Well, listen boys, I’ve got to eat and run back to my patients. Sid, pleasure seeing you. Roger, I’ll see you tomorrow. About 10 am?”

Roger bobbed his head up and down; his curly long hair followed. “Can’t wait, doc.”

The dentist laughed and slapped him lightly on the shoulder. “You’ll feel much better afterwards, trust me. See you boys later!”

“Bye, doc!” Sid said as the dentist walked out of earshot.

The diner was busy at this hour. Their food arrived and Roger gave his sandwich a scrutinizing look.

“Wonder if I should even try to eat this.”

Sid cocked his head. “Take little bites and avoid that tooth. Squish it into little pieces and put it on the other side.”

Roger tried out the suggestion; it worked so far. He smiled and blew a covert kiss to the man. “Thanks, baby.”

“Anytime.” Sid sipped his iced tea.

“Hon?”

“Yeah?”

“How long have you known Jerry? What do you know about him?”

Sid swallowed a bit of his sandwich and washed it down with a quick gulp of water. “Oh, I’ve known Jerry a long time and what I don’t know comes from the townsfolk. His parents died when he was 15. No one wanted to adopt him at that age, so he was in the foster system until he ran away. He’s lived on his own ever since. He dropped out of high school and it’s been nothin’ but hell for him.”

Roger took in the story. “Wow, that poor kid! I wonder what made him drop out of high school and turn to drinking and drugs like that. Must’ve been something horrible.”

Sid nodded. “I wish I knew too, but I’m glad we could help him out. He saved your life, which makes him a good egg in my book.” He caught something out of the corner of his eyes, a familiar face passed by the window. “Hey, speak of the devil—“

Jerry opened up the door and walked into the diner, saw his friends and smiled. He loved being able to open his mouth again and show off his brand new teeth. “Hi guys! How’s it going?” He took a seat next to Roger.

“Good, Jerry. How’s the new choppers?” Roger asked.

“It’s alright. Still testin' out foods I can eat, lil tough right now. Can’t sink ‘em into anything yet. I miss steak and corn, all of that.”

Sid looked up and offered a concerned look. “Give it time; it’s only been a month. You’ll mend.”

“Yeah, guess so. Hope so anyway. Damn hard eating so little, been losin' weight. My jeans get much looser I’ll be moonin the whole damn town!”

They all chuckled.

“You feeling good otherwise?” Roger asked.

“Feelin' much better. Thought I’d try some mashed potatoes or pasta tonight.”

“That’s cool” Roger added. “I got a loose tooth myself, seeing the dentist tomorrow.” He rubbed his stomach a bit and looked up at Jerry. “Can I get out? I gotta run down the hall.”

Jerry nodded and stood up to let the man out. “There ya go.”

Sid caught Roger’s attention briefly. “Come back soon, baby.” He accented his last sentence with a wink.

“You know it, partner.” Roger walked down the hallway to the restrooms.

Sid turned back to his friend. “I’m such a lucky guy. So, about you…you got a long time left to heal?”

Jerry nodded and adjusted his blue jeans and white tee shirt. His long blond hair hung in a loose ponytail that trailed down his back. “Yeah, he said about six months. He’s such a good guy, he tried to be all nice and not gag when I opened my mouth. I was really nervous about all of this; but I’m happy as hell I did it. I really owe you guys a lot of money by now.”

Sid smiled. “Don’t you worry about that at all. You saved Roger’s life! It was absolute fate the way you were there in the nick of time when that bastard Quinn was about to rape him! Incredible! That’s worth a lot more to us than a few bucks to get your teeth worked on.”

“A few bucks?” Jerry squawked. “That surgery was a thousand and another grand for the teeth!”

Sid laughed and reached out and tousled the young man’s hair. “Don’t worry about it. We have the funds now! Quit it and just accept the gift.”

Jerry smiled. “Thank you. It wasn’t too long ago you wanted to take my teeth out for me; with your fist!”

Sid laughed. “Was more than happy to do that too, but you straightened out. The day you saved my man, I knew we’ll both always remember that. You showed your true character.”

Jerry smiled and his tanned cheeks blushed a bit. He fanned his face. “Aw shit, Sid. You makin' me all red. I’m just glad I was on that road at that time and Caesar run out to the road. I knew something was wrong. That dog never leaves the border unless there’s real trouble.” The two exchanged a stilted hug and pulled back from each other. Sid saw Roger approaching from out of the corner of his green eyes. “Speak of the devil.”

Roger walked back down the hallway and smiled at both men. He walked over to Sid and hugged him briefly, but firmly. “Mmm, how’s my favorite husband?”

“Just missin' you, and talking with Jerry.” Sid held Roger close, brushed his black, curly hair away from his face, and whispered something into his ear.

Jerry blushed as he watched the two together. They seemed to move in sync with every motion and word. He looked away and whipped out a fresh cigarette and lit it. His blue eyes scanned the counter for something to capture his attention while the newlyweds occupied themselves. His hair would do. It was mid-back length and tied into a thick ponytail. It was matted and dirty, but he liked it that way; made him feel like a farmer. Finally, the duo broke away from each other and turned their attention back to their friend.

“Sorry about that; just…”Roger began.

Jerry held up his hand. “It’s alright, no need to explain yourselves. You two are in love and happy; it shows plain as day on your faces. Sid I think your red hair hides your blushin’ even better now.”

Roger looked at his husband and winked at him. “He’s a shy one, this one. Hey, we’re headin' over to the feed store, we set aside that back 30 acres for you to plant whatever you want.”

Jerry felt a wave of gratitude wash over him. A year ago both of these men would’ve been more than happy to send him into a wall. Now they’d do anything to keep him happy and thriving. It was quite the switch for him. He finally nodded. “Wow, haven’t had my own crop in a long time. I’m really happy being on the farm with you guys.”

Sid poked him in the shoulder lightly. “Wish you could live with us too, but we’d have to build another house. The one we’re in is too small even for just the two of us! We know the three of us will work damn hard on it to make us a big success. Especially if we all work as hard as you do. You’re a damn good farmer, Jerry Evans.”

The fresh smile made another appearance and he hid his blushed face. “You guys have really been a help. In turning a nothing joke like me with a drug and smoking problem into someone actually respectable. Damn, I got a smoke out again, didn’t I? Damn bad habit!” He extinguished the cigarette on the ground while his friends smiled. He looked back up at them and sighed. “Now, just find me a worthwhile guy and a decent place to live and I’ll be all set.”

Roger reached over and hugged him. “One thing at a time. I owe you my life for saving me from my ex. That’s all that matters.”

Jerry looked at his friends with a serious expression. “I just hope I don’t let you two down.”

Sid clapped his hand down on Jerry’s hand. “Don’t worry; you won’t have time to let us down. Come on, let’s get you some lunch and we’ll head over.” He waved his arm to get Melba’s attention.

“What is it, sugar?”

“We need a menu for our friend here, please.”

“Coming right up.” She walked over to the hostess station and extracted a menu from the side and handed it to him. “You just holler when you’re ready.”

“Thank you.” Jerry sighed as he looked at the menu. “I’m gettin' there. First day of soft food for me. No more protein shakes; bleah! At least this place’s cookin' is good!”

They all chuckled. Jerry finally decided on a plate of pasta. He chewed it carefully after carving it into tiny pieces.

Roger and Sid watched him like they would a child. He was like a younger brother to them both; they cared for his well-being and overall health. In fact, it was Jerry that had inspired the newlyweds to have conversations about children. So far, Sid said no, but Roger held out hope his answer would change in the future.

After Jerry finished half his meal, they all piled into Roger’s pickup truck and headed down the street to the farming goods store.


 

CH 2

Worthington Farm Supply. The name on the huge wooden sign that’d hung there for close to a century. The once bright hues of crimson and gold had faded to shades that were a mere suggestion of the former glory of its past. It had always sat on the same corner for its entire existence, at Third and Pine. The store wasn’t too crowded this day; the parking lot was about half-full. The three men pulled up in the truck and exited, Jerry first, and then Sid helped Roger out. They held hands for a brief moment, but let go when they saw others in the lot. Jerry fell in beside his friends.

He twisted his lip. “Tsk, it’s a shame you guys have to hide how happy ya are. Ya can’t hold hands or nothing.”

Roger bowed his head. “Yea, but we respect that not everyone wants to see that; hell I know they don’t wanna see a boy and girl holdin’ hands sometimes.”

“True enough.” Sid added.

The trio walked into the store and were greeted by the smells and sounds of the farm life. The well-worn wooden floor creaked to announce the men’s arrival. The glass door with the loud cow bell clanged its alarm to the employees that someone new had entered. The three stood with their arms crossed, taking in the sights and sounds of the business. The aromas would overwhelm any city slicker; but for these three, it was like aromatherapy. The chemicals, the seeds, even the metal tools all were a visual and olfactory delight.

Sid and Roger tapped hands and headed right for the pre-treat herbicides.

“We’ll be over here, Jerry.” Roger informed him.

“Cool, I’ll be over this way.”

They headed in opposite directions. Jerry wandered off a bit by himself and looked at large skids of seeds of every description. Would it be more soy? Corn? Wheat? How about something exotic like peanuts or even rice? His focus was interrupted by the shadow of a large man hovering over him. Jerry turned his head quickly and had to look up at whom had broken his concentration and shielded the light.

“Excuse me, can I help you with anything sir?” the voice boomed from the substantial man.

Jerry found himself rendered speechless for a moment as he drank in the sight of the giant before him. At his low vantage point, even a 6’0 man was tall, but this man was even taller than that. His shoulders were broad enough to belong to a football player, his arms were bigger around than his head, and his very handsome face sported a light beard grown around a chiseled jawline. His eyes were dark brown as was his short hair. The red apron he’d strung around him strained around his muscles and around his jeans; something Jerry noted silently. He squinted to see the name tag. “Daniel” It was almost too short to define this gorgeous giant.

“Uh…I’m sorry. What was the question?” Jerry stammered.

Daniel smiled and looked down at the customer. Their eyes locked for a moment and they looked each other up and down. “Can I help you select some seeds for your farm?”

Seeds? Oh yeah! Forgot all about those for a moment. “Uh, yes, actually.” Jerry said happily now that he’d found his vocals again. “I wanna plant something new that’ll get me and my partners a good price.”

Daniel raised a brow. “Partners? You mean business partners?” The clerk asked in genuine interest.

Jerry nodded. “Yeah, purely business. It’s them two over yonder.” He looked around and spotted Sid and Roger loading up a shopping cart. “Guys!” he bellowed. “Get on over here for a sec.”

Sid and Roger pushed their cart over to where their friend was and were taken aback with the tall, handsome man themselves. Sid looked down at Jerry and winked at him covertly. “What is it, Jerry?”

Jerry felt on display suddenly and his shyness came back. “Uh, this is Daniel, he works here. He’s helpin’ me decide what to plant so we can all turn a profit this year. He wanted to meet my partners.”

Roger smirked a bit and saw the blond play with his hair a bit; something he only did when he was nervous. It was obvious he had an attraction to the worker.

“Sid Rosen, and this is Roger Laramie.”

Daniel outstretched his large hand and shook each man’s open palm. He had a strong grip, as was evident by his friend’s reactions. “Nice to meet you both. I’m new here in town, but I’ve been on a farm all my life. If I don’t know it, then I ask the boss man.”

Roger nudged Sid’s shoulder and pointed out that Jerry had hardly been paying attention. His mind and eyes were on Daniel.
“Well, it’s up to you what to plant. We’ve got those last 30 acres open for you.”

Sid rubbed his pointy chin. “Hmm, how about something different like rye? We could do some home brewin’ and sell it as S & R home mix.”

Jerry’s shook his head. “I was thinkin’ something a little more…unusual. You guys mind a small field of flowers that could be sold for the oil?”

All the men raised a brow. “Flowers? What kind?” Daniel asked with more than a suggestion on interest.

“Sunflowers. They use the oil for cosmetic stuff, like for hair. I know something about that.” Jerry said in defense as he twirled his long strands.

Daniel grinned. “We’ve got sunflower seeds right back here; I can show you.” He brushed Jerry’s shoulder with his sizeable hand and the two walked together to the back wall. He pulled down a 10-lb bag of seed and handed it to his customer.

“This enough for 30 acres?”

Daniel laughed. “Oh, that’s just the first bag. You’ll need three more.”

Jerry laughed. “I guess you think I’m a lil stronger than I look. You got a cart?”

Sid and Roger walked their cart back, but it was almost full. Daniel grinned and winked at him. “No problem at all. I can carry them for you. Are you done shopping?”

Jerry glanced at his friends, who signaled by nodding that they were done. “Yup, all finished. I think they had more than I did though.”

Daniel checked the chemistry labeling on the back of the sacks. “You’ll need a treatment for these after they start to germinate.”

Germinate. Even the word sounded sexy when it passed through Daniel’s sexy lips. He’d wanted to germinate him from the time they walked in the door and saw the gorgeous young clerk! Daniel piled the bags up on the counter. Jerry loved watching his muscles bulge as he handled the merchandise. He had to stop himself of thinking of Daniel handling his merchandise! “All set?”

Jerry had to tear his eyes away from the hulking lad and watched Sid and Roger walk towards the front, their cart strained under the weight of several canisters of herbicide. “We need to schedule a delivery too, Daniel.”

Sid nodded. “What we need will take a lot more than one strapping young lad like you to carry for us.” he quipped. “Daniel, we need to order enough of this for 150 acres or 180 if his sunflowers need something special.”

Daniel rubbed his wooly chin. “Hmm, I’d have to ask the owner on that; I’m not sure about the flowers.” He looked over his shoulder and saw the kindly old man in his office. “Mr. Baker?”

The old man looked up from his manual accounting sheets. “Yes, Daniel, what is it?”

“Sir, these gentlemen are buying herbicide for their corn, soy and wheat, but I’m not sure if the same chemicals can be used on sunflower seed.”

Mr. Baker took off his ancient spectacles and shuffled over to his reference books. “Sunflowers, you say? Let’s see. What brand do you have?”

Daniel flipped over a bag for him and held it closer so the old man could see. “Growrite, 6.5 ph strength.”

He put a finger to his non-existent lips and shut one eye deep in thought. He shuffled back to his office and unearthed a large manual. He flipped through the pages and held out his glasses to see. “Let’s see, Growrite, Growrite, ah, here it is. Yes, can use that on those as well; it shouldn’t harm them. They draw bees, not a lot of other bugs. Hardy plant they are.”

“Thanks, sir!” he turned his attention back to the customers. “180 acres it is then.”

Sid opened his wallet and unearthed his debit card. “It feels so good to pay for things with no credit lines or debt anymore.” He commented to his companions.

Daniel saw the large ring on Sid’s finger and glanced over at Roger’s hand, and saw they were the same style. He smiled to himself and closed out the transaction and pulled out the delivery roster. “When’s a good time to come by?”

“Uh, day after tomorrow? We’re almost ready. Jerry, you coming home with us or headin' back to your place?”

Jerry looked Daniel up and down again and twisted his rosy lips in lurid thought. “I might hang out in town tonight, not sure.”

Roger grinned at him. “You give us a call and we’ll pick you up, how’s that?”

“That works for me. See you two later.”

“Bye. Thanks, Daniel.”

“Anytime.” The two pushed their cart out to the truck and loaded up their cargo. They pulled away and drove back down the road.

 

Jerry turned his attention back to the clerk, but was interrupted by Mr. Baker who’d shuffled out of his office again.

“Daniel, I’m goin' over to the bank. I’ll be back in a while. Mind the store for me, will ya lad?”

“Sure thing, Mr. Baker.”

The old man hobbled out the door and slowly made his way across the quiet street and out of sight. Jerry smiled and looked up at the handsome man again.

Daniel leaned back on the counter. “Your friends seem like good guys.”

Jerry nodded. “Yeah, they are. I didn’t used to think so, but there’s a long tale behind that. Hell, a year ago you wouldn’t have caught me dead with them.”

Daniel raised a brow and inched closer. “What happened to change your mind? I mean, if you don’t mind me askin'.”

Jerry grinned at the handsome man. “No, I don’t mind. I can tell ya all about it sometime, if…”

“If what?”

A strange sensation caught Jerry’s tongue. He realized the roof of his mouth was either falling down or something else peculiar was happening. He stuck a finger in his mouth to check and was greeted by the top of the plate. The new false teeth in Jerry’s mouth had come loose and had slipped down from their perch. He covered his mouth and his eyes grew wide. “Oh shit!” he ran off to the bathroom at the back of the store and locked the door.

Daniel followed after him and knocked on the door. “Jerry? You alright?”

A moment later, Jerry walked out, but had a wrapped up package at his side and his mouth had pursed in. “Mmm hmm.”

Daniel frowned a bit. “What’s wrong with your mouth?”

Jerry held up the towels and pulled back a section so Daniel could see the teeth beneath it.

“Oh! Your teeth came out! Well no wonder…you don’t have to say another word. Here, you need some water?” he rushed to the front and retrieved a bottle of water from the break room refrigerator. He opened it and handed it to Jerry.

“Ahhh…thank you. Damn, that’s the third time that’s happened. It happens when I smile too much or maybe it was the pasta I had for lunch. I wish I knew; I just started wearin’ these a week ago. My gums are still kinda puffy and they don’t fit right yet.”

Daniel glanced into the man’s mouth and saw that the gums were still very puffy. “I can see that. Do they hurt?”

Jerry shook his head. “Naw, just more of an inconvenience right now. It’ll get better. I need some adhesive on ‘em. Guess I should carry that with me, huh?”

“Yeah, it would seem wise. Hey, those two guys you were with, are they…ya know…together?”

“Uh, yeah, they are. In fact they’re married. Is that a problem? I don’t think most people in town are real keen on the idea.” Jerry stated.

Daniel laughed. “Oh, hell no! Not at all in fact. It’s good to meet some other guys who are like me. Are…you?”

Jerry beamed with the new knowledge that his instinct had been dead-on. “Am I gay too? I’m technically bi since I’ve slept with a couple of women, but I much prefer guys. Good to meet you too! What’d you have in mind?”

Daniel shifted his weight out of nervousness. Jerry thought it was so hot the way he was bashful. “Well, I was just wondering. I’m off duty in a while; you wanna get some dinner tonight over at the diner?”

Jerry’s blue eyes sparkled like sapphires and he smiled without opening his mouth. “Yeah! Definitely! What time are you off?”

Daniel glanced over his shoulder and checked the clock. “At 5. I could meet you over there.”

“That’ll be great. I guess I’ll call Sid and Rog back, they can turn around and come get me so I can go home and get ready.”

“Here, I can call ‘em.” Daniel clamored for the phone, upsetting it a bit. Jerry loved the way this hulking piece of man was so nervous. “It’s a little tough to talk without droolin' all over yourself still, isn’t it? Trust me, I know all about a person recouping from getting dentures. My dad got ‘em last year. I remember he had a lot of trouble eatin' and talkin' for months!”

Jerry’s eyes widened. “Months? Holy crap! Well, all I do know is it’ll get better. Right?”

“They sure will. He can’t eat everything he did before, but he can sure pack away what he can eat. You’ll be fine.”

Jerry glanced at the plate under the tissues. “Sure hope so. It’s my own fault this happened. It’ll just take some getting used to.”

“You’ll do great. Now, what’s their number?”

The blond dialed the number and Daniel listed for someone to pick up. Sid answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi Sid, this is Daniel, down at the farm store? I’m here with Jerry; he needs a ride back to his place and wanted to know if you could pick him up.”

“Sure, tell him I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Will do.” He hung up the phone. “He’ll be here in a few minutes.”

Jerry nodded. “Well, I guess I look like an idiot standing here holding my teeth like this.”

Daniel held up his hand. “Hold that thought.” He reached under the counter and pulled out a small paper sack. They carefully wrapped up the plate inside of it and put that bag into another bag. “There. That way they’re protected.”

“Thanks, Daniel.”

“Anytime.”

The two sized each other up, especially physically. Daniel’s outfit of jeans, a blue flannel shirt and a full red apron was very hot to him. A customer walked up to check out and Jerry went to stand in the far corner, out of the way. He scanned Daniel’s backside and felt hot when he saw the sculpted legs rippled with muscle, and the wide shoulders and flat stomach.

Soon the customer departed and the two chatted for a bit longer until Sid pulled up in the truck and honked his horn.

“I’ll see you tonight.” Jerry said with a toothless grin.

“Can’t wait.” Daniel replied with a wink.

They shook hands again and pulled each other in for a side hug. Jerry walked out the door and climbed into the cab with Sid and rode home.


 

CH 3

The two men met up at the diner later that night. Jerry had found some powdered adhesive for his new teeth and so far it was working fine. He dressed up a bit for him, newer jeans, a fresh shirt in a hue of emerald green, shined up cowboy boots and his hair was in a long braid that trailed down his back. He nixed the cowboy hat for the evening.

Daniel walked in right on time and they got a booth where they could face each other and talk.

“Long time no see.” Jerry mused.

“Yeah, it’s been ages, hasn’t it?” Daniel laughed. They shared a quick side hug and sat down in a booth near the back of the diner.

The waitress, Wilma, walked over and handed them menus.

Jerry looked over the dinner menu. “Let’s see, how adventurous do I feel with these things?” he mused.

Daniel smiled. “Did you get that adhesive?”

“Yeah, and it’s working so far. Knock on wood.” He rapped his knuckles on the tabletop. “Or laminate, as the case may be. The spaghetti was alright, I think I’ll try that again. If anything I’ll be carb-loaded.”

Wilma came back and had her pencil ready. “What can I get you boys?”

Daniel looked over at Wilma and spoke quickly. “Two spaghettis.”

The waitress wrote down the order. “Anything to drink?”

“No, just water for me, Daniel?”

“Same here. Thanks.”

Wilma nodded and walked away.

Daniel leaned in to whisper to his date. “Hey, maybe we could play out that lady and the tramp scene.”

Jerry laughed, but thought about it and fell silent. He bowed his head a bit and looked out the window. “Yeah. Maybe so.”

Daniel furrowed his brow and brushed his date’s arm and regained his attention. “Hey, you alright? Did I say something wrong?”

“No, never mind. I’m just kinda tired. I worked on the farm a lot so far this week.”

Daniel cocked a brow, unconvinced. “You’re sure that’s all it is?”

Jerry looked into the brown eyes that stared his way. “Course. Let’s talk about you for a bit. Where are you from?”

Daniel mentally shrugged off the awkwardness of the moment and delved into a conversation about his past. “Arkansas originally. My family moved up here to take over my grandparents’ farm when I graduated college. I was gonna stay there, but my parents wanted me to stay with them. So, I had to get a job in town and get my own car, which is costing a bundle with what little I make. I really like it here though, especially lately.”

The two exchanged a flirtatious grin between themselves. Jerry cleared his throat and found his train of thought again.

“I’m glad you’re here too. Just how long have you been in town?”

“Not long, we got here just this past spring.”

Jerry nodded and tried to scrutinize the man’s face. “Daniel, how old are ya, if you don’t mind me askin'? I’m 24.”

Daniel smiled. “22. Just turned. I was one of the youngest kids in the graduating class.”

Jerry grinned. “Well, welcome to town, Daniel…what’s your last name?”

“Munson. What’s yours?”

“Evans. Welcome, Daniel Munson to our warped little town.” He raised his glass of ice water and the two toasted.

Wilma arrived with their food.

Jerry gasped dramatically. “Wow, that was quick, Wilma!”

The waitress shrugged her dumpy shoulders. The mint green uniform did nothing for her wafer-thin figure and over-painted face. “He had the pasta all ready back there. Figured he was ahead for once…what the hell?” she answered with a smile.

“Compliments to Harvey for speed tonight.”

“My pleasure. You boys let me know if you need anything.”

“Sure will. Thanks, Wilma.” Daniel said.

Jerry picked up the fork and knife and began to meticulously cut up some of his pasta and placed it carefully into his mouth. Daniel waited breathlessly as he watched the man squish it into his cheek and use his lower teeth.

“How’s it coming? Still not working out?”

Jerry shook his head. “Not really. I guess I could always gum it if need be.” He slammed his fork down on the plate in his disgust. “Dammit, I put that adhesive in though; but they still feel loose. I’ll be right back, do you mind?”

“No, got right ahead. Take care of yourself.”

Jerry got up and headed to the washroom. Daniel drank down more of his ice water and waited for his date to return.

Wilma walked over and saw the patron wasn’t eating but sat with his hands folded. She walked over and caught his attention. “Everything taste okay, honey?”

“Yeah, just waiting for Jerry to come back. He’s havin' a little trouble lately with eating.”

She leaned in and whispered in his ear. “You two is on a date ain’t ya?”

Daniel’s eyes grew large and he was worried it seemed that obvious. “Uh, yeah, we are. Why?”

The waitress wrinkled her nose in disgust. “Hmpf. What is it with the water in this town? That Sid and Roger duo and now you two? We’ll be San Francisco before too damn long. Well, anyway, I thought I’d just give ya an advance warning about your date.”

Daniel raised a brow and scooted back from her. Her noxious perfume was overwhelming. He longed for the subtle scent of Jerry’s cologne. “Why? What’s wrong with him? Besides him being another guy?”

Wilma narrowed her eyes at the comeback, but ignored it. “I hate to be the one to tell you about his reputation; he’s practically a gigolo. He’s slept with a lot of folks just new into town. If you two are together, be sure you’re protected, you know what I mean? Don’t want anyone to get that AIDS by just havin’ a one-night stand.”

Daniel’s mind whirled back to the lady and the tramp comment and he understood now why Jerry was upset by it. He nodded in agreement. “True enough, I’ll remember that, if we even get that far.”

“I ain’t sayin' he’s a bad man, he’s just got a history ya know—

“Wilma.” Jerry interrupted. He’d seen the woman bent over chatting with his date. He knew already what it was about. “Is there a problem?”

The waitress straightened up and shook her head. “No, no problem at all, just checking on your friend here. Your teeth better now?”

“I’ll manage. The pasta is a little undercooked.” He picked up the plate and handed it to her. “Can you nuke it for me a little bit? It’s tough to chew.”

“Sure thing, Jerry.” She walked briskly back into the kitchen.

Jerry sat back down, took a gulp of water and ran his fingers through his hair. “Dammit, I hate this town.”

Daniel caught his date’s eye and reached for his hand. “Wanna talk about it?”

“What did she say to you about me, Daniel? No, wait. Lemme guess. It’s about my history.” He answered sarcastically.

The brunette struggled for words and nodded. He held on to Jerry’s hand tighter. “She uh, she told me some stuff about you; is it true? That you’ve been with a lot of people?”

Jerry scowled and pulled his hand away and balled it into a fist. “What exactly did she say about me?” the blond demanded. His eyes had lasered in on his date’s face.

“Uh, just that you’ve got a reputation in town. Is it true?”

Jerry sighed and nodded. “Nice way for you to find out. It is true; I got a real bad rep. To be honest, I’m trying to change that. I used to pick up whomever and take ‘em home or to their hotel and that was usually the end of things. I don’t want to be like that anymore; I want something real and long-lasting. Sid and Roger been helping me out with trying to be respectable.”

Daniel nodded. “Hey, if you don’t mind me askin, what brought on this epiphany? This need for changing your life around?”

“You really wanna know? It was Sid and Roger.”

Daniel swallowed down a small ice cube and cleared his throat. “What influence did they have on you?”

“I saved Roger’s life and they were grateful. They made me their best man at their wedding. I asked them to help me not be the laughing stock of the town anymore.” He took a large gulp of water. “Damn, that was a nice day. They had it in their barn, and I gave a speech and everything! Roger’s momma even thanked me for saving his life.”

“Really?” Daniel grinned. “How cool was that! What did you wear?”

“Well, Sid and Roger bought me the suit. I don’t usually have that kind of garb, but they got me to wear one. I tied my hair back and looked all respectable. Even gave the toast.”

Daniel let out a breath. “Wow, married, I never would’ve guessed. I figured they were together, but not like that. Though the rings were a dead giveaway I guess, huh?”

“Yeah…them are nice rings.” He took a sip of water and looked at his date’s dinner. “As for me, well...I was their charity case. I kinda fit in with the town tramp thing.”

Daniel brushed his date’s hand and softened his tone. “Jerry, I’m so sorry I even said that; I had no idea. I’m so sorry. Forgive me?”

Jerry took in a deep breath and smiled. “Sure thing…you didn’t know, you’re new in town. Though I’m not surprised my photo isn’t on every condom machine in town.”

Daniel took a bite of spaghetti. “Holy crap. Just how many partners have you had?”

Wilma walked back at that moment along with Jerry’s spaghetti. “Here ya go, it’s softer now I’m sure. Let me know if it isn’t.” She looked over at Daniel. “Yours okay, honey?”

“Yeah, it’s just fine. Thanks.”

“Anytime.” She walked off again.

“How many, Jerry? I won’t risk my health…”

Jerry shut his eyes and let out a sigh. “Fine, if you really want the truth. Including women, nearly 40 people.”

Daniel’s eyes grew wide and he choked on his pasta. “Forty? Holy cow!”

Jerry felt his eyes mist over as he knew what was coming next. This had happened before and he always knew the outcome. See ya slut boy! He slammed down his utensils and scooted to the edge to exit the booth. Daniel grabbed his hand.

“Wait a minute! Where the hell are you going?”

Jerry met his date’s curious eyes. “Home. Come on, you don’t want me, not with my rep. I’m what they call bad news. Let’s just part ways kindly and forget this whole thing happened.” He wrested his hand from Daniel’s and turned away from him.

Daniel furrowed his brow. “Jerry, I’m sorry, but I’ve only had one other guy in my life! I don’t want our date to end, this doesn’t bother me! I swear! All it did was surprise me! I thought we were getting along…”

Jerry faced the man again and kept his emotions under tight control. “Daniel, I appreciate your honesty, but it won’t last. It never lasts for guys like me who want guys like you. This sucks because I like you a lot, you seem like a great guy.” His lower lip quivered a bit but he bit it to make it stop. “You’re too good for me, you’re younger than me, I don’t want you to throw away your time on the town gigolo.” Jerry briskly walked out the door.

“Jerry, wait! Dammit.” He saw the waitress by the counter and waved his hand to catch her attention. “Wilma? Could you heat mine up too, please? I’ll be right back.”

“Sure thing, honey!” she called back.

 

Daniel walked out the door and saw Jerry over at his truck. The blond sat in the bed and had his hands in his face, staving off a headache and tears. He wouldn’t cry, especially not on a first date! Daniel approached slowly.

“Jerry?”

Jerry turned his face away and growled. “Dammit, I thought we were done!”

“No we’re not done, not as far as I’m concerned. Hey, look at me.”

Jerry glanced up into the dark brown orbs and tried to downplay his bleary eyes. “What?”

Daniel cleared his date’s face. “Hey, stop. Come on now. I’m really sorry for how I reacted to what you said, alright? Look, I like you a lot and yeah, you’ve got a history, so what? You’re trying to change things around, and I respect that. Look, you’re a really good looking guy, great new teeth, amazing hair, hot body, you’ve got everything.”

Jerry groaned. “Dammit. Not to be pissy or nothing, but you only mentioned the physical stuff; that’s all anybody ever notices.” He tried to get up, but Daniel put his hands down on either side of the blonds’ legs, which trapped Jerry in place.

“Wait a minute there. You didn’t let me finish either. You’re nice, funny, and have two terrific friends. Why would they have you be their best man if they didn’t see some value in you? Hmm? You saved somebody’s life! That in itself shows you’re a good guy.”

Jerry sniffed a few times and looked up into the man’s wide face. “I saved Roger’s life. He was being attacked and was nearly killed. I ran in and saved the day until the cops came. I nearly killed his attacker.”

Daniel cupped his date’s small face. “Then you’re a hero! That to me is a very brave act; not just anyone would do that.”

Jerry smiled at last, his mood lightened. “I guess you’re right…I just had to see what was goin’ on and when I got there, I like them two; they’re good guys. They were really grateful. They made me a partner in their co-op just recently.”

“They must like you an awful lot to do that. Jerry, I like you a lot and I’m willing to look past all of your history if you’ll consider your future and maybe including me in it.”

Jerry’s eyes grew wide and he drank in the appearance of the handsome man before him. “I want to…more than anything. I’ve had such a fucked-up life. I’m an orphan, I ran away, dropped out of school, did drugs and drank, did chaw, all of that. It killed my teeth, my looks, and my body. I slept with people so they’d buy me stuff.”

Daniel shook his head. “How awful! But now that’s over with completely, right? You don’t just pick up people like that anymore?”

“No way. I’m a new person and I wanna continue being him, as long as it gets me guys like you. You’re what Sid calls my ‘new leaf’.”

“Now that I like.” Daniel commented. He smiled at the blond and wrapped his arms around his small waist and held him close for a long moment. “I’m sorry.”

“I forgive ya.” Jerry took in the scent of Daniel’s soap that he used and clamped his arms around the wide torso. Their faces were millimeters apart and their lips ached to touch. They shared three sweet kisses together. Jerry licked his lips to savor the leftover saliva.

“Mmm, that was very nice.” He rubbed his hands over Daniel’s large chest and knew he wanted to feel the naked skin underneath his shirt.

Daniel hugged him again. “I’ll tell ya right now, I’m not the love ‘em and leave ‘em type. I’ve had one other boyfriend and he left me. I’m in it for love, not just sex. If we’re gonna be together, I won’t sleep with ya right off.”

Jerry had to shake his head. “Holy tarnation! I’ve never heard that from a guy’s mouth in my life! You must be one in a million.” He kissed Daniel again sweetly.

Daniel smiled at him. “One in a billion.” He held Jerry close and ran his hands over the smaller body. They kissed deeply. Jerry felt the curious sensation of being lifted off the bed of the truck, into Daniel’s strong arms, and finally onto the ground. “Come on, let’s go finish our dinner.” He held Jerry’s hand tight in his and kissed it.

“Deal.”

 

After a two-hour-long chat at dinner, Jerry and Daniel arrived back at Jerry’s house in their own separate vehicles. It was a tiny hut, all wood construction; but the porch was rotting, the yard was overgrown, and there were no lights outside. Jerry noticed Daniel’s expression and shrugged.

“I got it for free. What else could I expect? It’s a shithole of a place, barely a bed and a bath, but it’s kinda a roof over my head. I do with it what I can.”

Daniel rubbed his bearded jaw. “I don’t think it can even be fixed up.” He stepped forward on a board and heard it creak and whine under his weight. “I’d bet you all these boards are dry-rotted through. Same with the roof and the walls. Like you said, it was free.”

“I hate this place, but I just started making some money again, at least legal money where I’m working for someone.”

Daniel raised a brow. “You said something about illegal drugs at the diner I think.”

“Yup. Quick blow job to a cop took care of that one.” He looked back and saw the look on disapproval on his companion’s face. “Look, I never claimed to be perfect. We all make mistakes; I just made way more of ‘em cause I didn’t know any other way.”

“I know, Jerry. I know.” Daniel said quietly.

Jerry bowed his head. “You done with me, ain’t ya? You’ve seen enough and learned enough to make you vomit up that spaghetti dinner, ain’t ya?” He reached for the door knob, twisted it and put his shoulder to the door to open it.

“Wait…Jerry?”

“What?”

Daniel reached for his hand. “It’s all over with, isn’t it? You stopped all that reckless behavior and now you’re turning your life around. The least I can do is help you figure out how to do that.”

Jerry smiled. “Y-You still wanna hang around me?”

“Of course! I’m not perfect either and you know that.”

Jerry hugged him. “I dunno, you’re damn close to it if you ask me.”

Daniel held his date closer and kissed his hair. “Stick with me long enough and you’ll know just how imperfect I truly am. Hell, I still live with my folks! I don’t even have a piece of garbage home to call my own like you do.”

“Why don’t you have your own place? You work a full-time job.”

“Yeah but my car takes most of it. What little I got left goes towards food and utilities my folks make me pay. Then I got a student loan that’s due. It eats up the rest of it.”

Jerry shook his head. “Shit That sucks, huh? I ain’t never gone off to college or night school or anything. Bailed from high school, despite being real good at it.”

Daniel cocked a brow and put his hands on the man’s shoulders. “Why’d you leave if you were doing so well?”

“Long story. Too long for right now.” He eyed the man up and down. “I’d invite you in; but I have a feeling you won’t accept just yet.”

Daniel smiled at him. “You’re right about that. I take my time and though part of me wants to stay and hold you all night; the sensible side of me says to say good night.”

Jerry smiled. “I like sensible. Never had no one like you before.”

Daniel ran his fingers over Jerry’s long braid. “You are one of a kind, Jerry. I’ll call you tomorrow. I had a good time.”

“Really? Me too…thank you for understanding.”

“Anytime.” Daniel leaned in and kissed him good night and finished it off with a long hug. “Say hi to Sid and Roger for me.”

“I will! Night, Daniel!”

Daniel waved farewell and left in his truck.

 

A mysterious vehicle was enshrouded in darkness about 500 feet back from the house, but neither man paid much attention. Jerry walked inside, shut the door and let out a sigh of relief. “Holy cow, I think I might’ve found my Mr. Wonderful!”


 

CH 4

Not a minute later, a knock came to the door. Jerry laughed. “Daniel, I thought we agreed no nightcaps!” he opened the door and nearly shrieked! “What the fuck are you doing here?”

A large man with a muscular build and dressed in jeans and a white shirt stood before him. “Hello, Jerry! Long time no see! I’ll just let myself in.”

Jerry jutted out his arm to stop him from entering. “What the hell are you even doing here, Patrick O’Leary? Have you finished exploring the world and getting all your degrees only to return home to your stupid lil boyfriend that you dumped in high school?”

Patrick ignored the question and muscled his way past the smaller man and looked around the tiny house. Jerry looked over his shoulder with a look of complete hatred. The intruder was a sizeable man, five inches taller than Jerry and much stronger. His red hair and hazel eyes caught Jerry’s eyes as he passed him by. He was still the handsome Patrick he’d remembered; unfortunately, that was his only good attribute, his looks.

Patrick walked up behind his ex, took ahold of Jerry’s braid and tugged at it. “What’re you trying for the longest hair in the county?”

Jerry scowled and freed his hair from the grip of his ex. “Nope, just like it that’s all. Ain’t had no complaints from my bedmates.”

“Bedmates? Just how many of those have you had to give them such a charming nickname?” Patrick asked sarcastically.

Jerry crossed his arms. “Why the hell you need to know that? Who I fuck ain’t none of your business no more.”

Patrick moved close enough that his shadow overtook the shorter man. “It used to be, when we were together.” He’d always been very intimidating. Jerry shrugged and recoiled a bit.

“We ain’t been together in years. You dumped me like a load of manure, Patrick.”

The tall Irishman tried to catch his ex’s gaze, but was met with considerable resistance. “Jerry, look at me, please?” He was finally graced with a short glance from the blue eyes. “I’m sorry. I broke up with you because I wanted to go off to college and see the world and experience life. Can’t really do that here.”

Jerry stared up at him and crossed his arms. “I wasn’t enough to keep you here? Wasn’t I the one you wanted with you all the time?”

Patrick snarled. “I did want you around all the time, but I knew if I stayed here, I’d have nothing to give you. I had to move on.”

“You busted my heart, you dirtbag!” Jerry yelled loudly. “It was right after you left I got into all kinds of drugs, drinkin' and beddin down everyone I could. My teeth and my face got screwed up ‘cause of it!”

Patrick examined his ex’s face. “Your face still looks the same to me, your body I’ve yet to see, but your teeth look terrific—”

“That’s ‘cause they fake teeth!” he retorted.

Patrick withdrew a bit. “Oh! I thought they were implants…I’m sorry, Jerry.”

“That’s one of the few times you ever said them words to me. Look, I can’t afford them expensive things! These are dentures…I killed them other ones with drinking and smoking and tobacco. My friends paid for ‘em, I ain’t got no money!”

Patrick shook his head and walked closer to the man. “Jerry, you were so handsome in high school. Your incredible eyes were bright, your teeth were good, you kept your killer body, but that’s the only thing. What the hell happened you say?”

Jerry shot him an icy glare. “It’s cause of you, you ass! I guess I just wasn’t handsome enough I guess for you to stay with me anymore. The one fucker I ever wanted to stay forever left town. End o’ story.” He walked a bit into the living room, but Patrick pulled him back.

“Wait. You let yourself go because I left?”

Jerry’s face flushed a light hue of crimson, but he did his best to camouflage it. “Are you deaf? I told you twice already! Damn your ego hasn’t shrunk none for sure. Just to knock you down a bit, no it wasn’t all you! I could do whatever and whoever I wanted! No one to tie me down and get all attached. I was free as a bird.”

Patrick clenched his fists and took a deep breath. “Jer—”

“No! Now you get the hell off my property. You ain’t welcome here, not ever! You got that?”

“Jerry—”

“Git!” Jerry yelled and shoved him towards the open door.

Patrick lingered for a moment and shook his head. You just wait, boy. I’m gonna get you back one way or another. “Fine, you little piss! We’ll just see if I get outta here or not!”

He walked off the porch and over to his car where he climbed in and drove away. Jerry groaned aloud and shut the door. He leaned his back against it and let out an exasperated sigh.

Dammit, what the fuck do you want? Break my heart again? Stop thinkin about him; I got a man! He let out a deep breath, uncinched his braid and raked his fingers through his long hair. He loved the waves that the braid had left and arranged it around his shoulders. They all love the hair. Wonder if it’s all I got to offer. He stopped in the bathroom, splashed some warm water on his face and walked down the hall to get ready for bed.

 

The next morning, the phone rang. Jerry raised his arm to retrieve the phone.

“Mpfh…hello?”

“Hey, handsome. It’s Daniel.” A chipper voice greeted.

Jerry smiled and felt his cock harden. “Oh hey, how are you?”

“I’m good. I had a great time last night.”

“Yeah, me too. Wish the rest of the night was as good.”

“Oh? Something happen?” Daniel asked in a concerned tone.

Jerry sat up in bed; his long locks spilt over his naked shoulder. “Naw, just my own problem. Nothin about you that’s for sure.”

“Did you have a good time?”

“Yeah, sure did. Wish I could eat better, but that’ll come in time. My gums are healin’ up real nice. They sure worked for kissin’, which was my other main concern.” He reached beneath the sheet and stroked his growing cock. “You a hot guy, Daniel.”

“So are you, Jerry. I have a feeling we’ll be kissing a lot more and going further than that for sure.”

Jerry smiled. “Sounds good to me. It’s tough here, bein’ alone and sleepin’ naked, gets me all hot hearin’ your voice.”

“Jerry…don’t start in on me this early, hon. I gotta goto work and I don’t think the old man would get why I’m late.”

“I hope it’s in the cards soon, Daniel. I can’t hold out much longer. I want you…”

Daniel blew a kiss into the phone. “You won’t have to wait long, I promise you. I want you very much, but I want to do things properly. Flowers, some cider, dinner?”

Jerry let go of his cock and took hold of his hardening sack. He gripped them then released, and repeated that over and over. He shut his eyes and pictured Daniel doing it for him. “Damn baby, gettin me all hot inside. After meetin you I can definitely say I’d be happy to stop at 41, if you get my drift.” Jerry said in a whisper.

“Jerry…damn, baby. I’d kiss you right now if I were there, just for saying that. Unfortunately, I gotta go to work. You wanna go out again tonight?”

“Absolutely!” Jerry replied in a thrilled tone. “Where we goin?”

“Maybe a movie or even the arcade? Not much to do in this town, but we can find something to pass the time.”

“I could pass it plenty quick for ya.” Jerry said as seductively as possible.

Daniel sighed. “Jerry, Jerry. Third date, I promise. I wanna get to know you first before we screw each other’s brains out. Deal?”

Jerry whimpered a bit as he felt his cock about to explode. “If that’s what it takes to be with you; I accept.”

“I gotta run, I’ll see you later. Have a good day, Jerry!”

“You too, Daniel! Pick me up at 6, I’ll drop by the store and give ya the address.”

“Deal.”

Jerry hung up the phone and quickly grasped his slick penis, it spewed forth white fluid with just the slightest touch. He arched his head back and whispered Daniel’s name. “I can’t wait til you’re here in person, baby!” He laid back on his bed and enjoyed his nudity. After so many partners he’d become accustomed to it. He fanned out his hair on the pillowcase and tossed the sheet aside. He envisioned Daniel with him in his little hut of a house and full-size bed. “Damn. Guess I gotta wait for him.”

He made himself get out of bed and walked over to the bathroom to take care of his needs. He glanced at the shower and nixed taking one since he was heading to the farm. “Get all sweaty over there anyway.”

After dressing in jeans, boots, and a red flannel shirt. He slipped his teeth in and carefully ate a light breakfast of toast, he headed over to Sid and Roger’s farm.

 

The tall redhead greeted him with a handshake.

“Mornin, goldilocks.”

Jerry chortled. “Hey, Sid. How’s it going this morning?”

“Going well. How’d your date go last night?”

The blond blushed a bit. “Just fine, we had a couple odd moments, but overall we’re really good. He knows a lot about me which is the way I want it. No more secrets anymore; no more one-night stands.”

Sid raised a brow. “Wow, now that is a switch. He must be a good influence on ya.”

Jerry nodded. “Oh yeah. He is.”

Roger came out from the house and saw the smile on Jerry’s lips. “Well. Somebody had a good time last night.”

Both Sid and Jerry laughed a bit. “No more nights like that for me, Rog. Not ever.”

Sid and Roger shared an impressed look. “Looks like that boy is changing you for the better, Jer.” Roger commented.

“I hope so. I really like him a lot. He’s damn hot, ain’t he? He wouldn’t even come into the house last night. Now that I gotta respect.”

“That is respectful, and rare.” Roger said.

“Just had one little issue, and it was after he left for the night. Actually it’s a great big issue, with hair lighter red than Sid’s.”

Sid looked over at his husband and then over at Jerry. “What?
Who are you talking about?”

Jerry sighed and spat on the ground. “My fuckin ex, Patrick. He paid me a visit last night.”

Roger raised a confused brow. “Your ex…from where?”

Sid patted Jerry’s shoulder. “I remember that dickhead, kiddo. You were just a teenager at the time, was gonna graduate high school and everything when he up and left ya.”

Roger’s mouth gaped open. “How awful! Why did he do that?”

Jerry shook his head. “He said he needed to explore the world and he couldn’t do it while he was here. I guess I wasn’t a good enough reason to stay.”

Sid noticed Jerry’s emotional tone and quickly pulled the man into a bear hug. “Now you listen to ‘ol Sid here. That boy ain’t good enough for you now. You’re a changed man. You’re clean and sober, a farmer, and a hero in our eyes. Promise us you ain’t gonna do something stupid.”

Jerry glanced up into his friend’s green eyes and examined the pale face. He could see faint red whiskers around the mouth, a light goatee. Was he growing a beard? Sid was always such a mystery until he met Roger; who’d unlocked his good side for all to see. “I won’t, Sid.”

Roger joined the duo and hugged the blond himself. “You’re a good man, Jerry. Just wanna keep ya that way. Give Daniel every chance; he likes you a lot.”

“I will. Trust me. We’re going out again tonight. At least we won’t goto that damn diner with the nosy waitresses that spill all my secrets before I even get to.”

A truck horn interrupted the trio as a delivery vehicle pulled up into the driveway. A short, gangly man hopped out of the cab. “’Cuse me, I lookin fer a Sid Rosen?”

Sid approached the man. “I’m him.” He looked over the cargo. “Ah good, all the rest of our order. My compliments to the boys at the warehouse.”

The driver spat on the grass. “Yup, they’s fast alright. You gonna unload this y’self or you need hep?”

All three farmers shared an amused look as they took in the driver’s appearance and lack of linguistic skill. He looked a mess; as if he’d slept in the cab all night with nothing but a bottle of whiskey for company. His beard was overgrown and mangy, his clothes were rumpled, and he emanated a smell close to the fertilizer he delivered.

“Come on, Jerry. Let’s go help him out.” Roger suggested.

“Right. Back to work.”

The trio toiled all day until 4 o’clock when Jerry left for home and his second date with Daniel.

Ch 5

 

Jerry buzzed about his bathroom, preening for his second date with Daniel. He’d tied his hair up three times, but was unsatisfied with it and kept pulling it out and redoing it. “Dammit, don’t make me cut you! Now behave!”

A knock came to the door.

“Just a second!” he bellowed. Jerry scurried to the door and opened it. He smiled wide when he saw it was Daniel. The burly brunette greeted his date with a mini-sunflower bouquet.

“Here, for you.”

Jerry sniffed the flowers and smiled up at the handsome man. “Thank you! I love sunflowers.” They shared a sweet kiss and hugged. “Speaking of sunflowers, worked all day puttin’ them in the ground and puttin’ treatment out there. They should be popping up in my field in about 10 days or so.”

Daniel nodded. “I’d love to see them when they come up.” He glanced over at the clock. “Come on, I want to take you out on the town. What’s your heart’s desire?”

Jerry smirked and slipped his hands around Daniel’s fit waist. “Besides stayin home in bed? I’d say…we get some dinner then go find a real secluded spot to eat it. Maybe sit out under the stars.”

Daniel grinned and kissed the man. “Sounds good to me. Love your outfit, by the way.”

Jerry looked down at his cowboy boots, skintight ultra low-rise jeans, and black silk vest that he wore without a shirt underneath. His long tresses were cinched into a ponytail. To top it all off was a black cowboy hat.

“Thank you, I like your outfit too.”

Daniel was dressed in boots as well, with looser jeans, but a tight button-down shirt in a hue of light blue. He wore no hat, which allowed his short brown hair to be seen. He’d spiked it a bit to make his large face look thinner.

“Thanks! Come on, let’s fetch some supper.” They joined hands and took off in Daniel’s truck.

 

They stopped by the diner and got two orders to go; then hopped back into Daniel’s truck and headed out to the wilderness. Being that the county was mostly rural, wilderness was not difficult to find. Abandoned farms sat everywhere with not a soul around to see them. They wanted to be sure they were alone. Roughly 25 minutes later they reached a deserted farm site. They exited the vehicle and spread out a blanket in the truck bed and ate their dinners, with non-stop conversation. Daniel tried to avoid sneeking a peek down his companion’s jeans, which occasionally showed his very white ass.

“How about some music? You like music?” Daniel asked nervously.

“Yeah, I like it a lot. Not country though, please. I think I’ve heard enough about dogs and trucks to last four lifetimes.”

The two men shared a laugh. Daniel stood up in the bed and hopped down from the bed. He reached into the cab and turned on the truck battery and tuned in a radio station. It was a pop station and the only one that had reception. He called over to his date. “Hey, you like to dance?”

Jerry smiled. “Yeah, sure do!”

“Let’s wait for a good song to come over. Ah, here’s a good one, Adam Lambert, “If I Had You.”

Jerry licked his lips. “That sounds perfect.” He stood up and walked to the edge of the truck bed.

Daniel outstretched his arms to help the man down. “I gotcha.”

Jerry slipped into the brawny man’s arms and made sure their bodies stayed tightly pressed for a long moment. “Thank you.” He further expressed his gratitude with a long kiss.

Daniel tried not to let his fingers go too far down the pale body in front of him, between the vest and the jeans was an enticing area of skin showing; it drove him crazy just to see it.

Jerry unbuttoned his vest and invited Daniel to get closer. They bumped and gyrated to the dance beat and rubbed against each other. Jerry loved to dance and it showed. Daniel was a bit clumsy, but Jerry used his shorter body to guide him. Finally, the song was over and a slower tune came over the airwaves. Daniel held out his hand.

“Can I swing ya around the dirt floor?” he mused.

Jerry nodded. “Absolutely.”

They danced close and kissed a few times. Daniel tried to control where his hands traveled to; not to go too far south too fast. Jerry respected his wishes and did the same.

After a few more songs they shut off the radio and climbed back into the bed of the truck. They laid down in each other’s arms and kissed a few times.

“Daniel?”

“Yeah?”

“I’ve had a really great time with you; you’re a good fella.”

Daniel smiled and finally took the invitation to rub his hands over Jerry’s exposed chest. “I’m having a great time too and I think you’re a good fella too, Jerry. A very sexy man, and a great dancer. You’re a damn hard worker; gotta be with all them muscles.” He ran his hand over the sweaty sternum and lapped up the water with his tongue.

Jerry smiled and curled his legs up and swung his left leg over Daniel’s large body. “Sure you don’t wanna mess around some more? Maybe just get a little friendlier?” He kissed Daniel’s lips and beard and successfully unbuttoned the first two fasteners on his date’s shirt.

Daniel had a hard time saying no and holding himself back. Jerry was so sexy and his desire was making itself known. His jeans bulged a bit and he felt the heat between them rise. He stroked the blonds’ face and kissed him deeply. His fingers traveled down to the low-rise jeans and stopped at the waistline.

“Can we just lay here naked?” Jerry requested. He fished his fingers inside Daniel’s shirt and smoothed his hand over the furry chest. “I won’t ask for nothin’ more, I promise.”

Daniel shot him a look. “I don’t think I could do that; I’d wanna go all the way with you. I promise, our next date it’ll happen.”

Jerry pouted a bit but nodded. “I understand.”

“Tell you what, how about we just lay back and look for shooting stars? I hear there’s a meteor shower tonight.”

“Really? I ain’t never seen one of those. Never paid much attention in science class.”

“Oh! Well let me show you. The best part is, we can stay laying down.”

Jerry grinned. “I got my vest open, shouldn’t you have your shirt open all the way?”

Daniel kissed his date and patted him on the behind playfully. “Damn, boy. You’ll do anything, won’t ya? All right, you win.” He stripped off his shirt and bundled it up beside him.

Jerry’s eyes grew to moons and his hands automatically went for the large, sculpted, hairy chest in front of him. “Damn you’re one hot guy!” He felt his own vest. “Just to be fair.” He slipped it from his torso and let Daniel’s eyes take in his upper body.

“That makes two of us.” They kissed again and cuddled close so they could feel each other’s skin.

Jerry was a good boy and didn’t go any further with it. “So um, tell me about these stars.” He laid his head on Daniel’s broad shoulder and ran his fingers through the thick, brown hair.

Daniel smiled and loved having his chest fondled. He held Jerry closer and snuck a peek down the tight jeans to the milky white ass just below the waistline. He held his date closer and smoothed the hairless chest from time to time. “Well, where should I begin?”

They guessed at constellations until both fell asleep at 2 am.

 

They awoke in each other’s arms at 9 a.m.

“Mornin.” Jerry started.

“Morning to you too.” Daniel smirked. “Hope you don’t mind morning breath.” He kissed the man gently. He glanced at his watch and cursed under his breath. “Damn, I gotta get to work in an hour.” His shirt was still bundled against him; which he unfurled and tossed over his chest.

Jerry sat up and pouted a bit. He pawed what he could of the disappearing body and looked up into his eyes. “Hey, if we got out again tonight, will that be number three? I don’t think I can wait much longer.”

Daniel loved the blue eyes looking at him; they were mischievous and beautiful all at the same time. He cupped his companion’s chin and kissed him. “Works for me, handsome. I’ll pick you up for dinner at 5.”

“Sounds good to me.” He took a last look around at the area where they’d been. He wished he had a camera so he could capture all the beauty and greenery around them. Most especially he wished for a photo of himself with Daniel. He shrugged to himself; next time. “Guess we’d better get back.” He tossed his vest back on and buttoned it.

He and Daniel climbed out of the bed. Daniel got our first and hoisted Jerry down into his strong arms and kissed him once more.

“Come on, let’s go and get this day started so we can end it on a great note.”

Jerry kissed him again and grinned. “Mush!”

 

Jerry and Daniel arrived back at Jerry’s house. They joined hands and walked up to the front door. Both spotted something on the front porch.

“What the…?” Jerry wondered aloud.

It was a floral item for certain. The paper around it touted the name of the florist “Betty’s Floral.” Jerry knelt down and began to tear at the paper.

Daniel watched Jerry unwrap the package and after a moment saw it was a dozen red roses. He stood back and stuffed his hands into his pockets. He shot Jerry a hurt look. “Uh, if you don’t mind me askin’, who are those from? You got someone else on the hook that I don’t know about?”

Jerry pouted. “You mean they ain’t from you?” he asked in a disappointed tone. He plucked out the attached note and saw the order’s name; Patrick. Jerry shut his eyes cursed under his breath. “Dammit, it’s my ex, Patrick. Wish he’d leave me be.” Jerry read the note to himself.

My dear Jerry, I want you back and I’ll do anything to talk to you again. I can buy everything we want to live the life of our dreams, baby! I can get you those implants, a big house, farmhands, whatever you want! I hope you choose me over that poor farm clerk you’ve been hanging around town with. I’m the one for you and you know it! Love, Patrick.”

Daniel took a deep breath. “Who are they from?”

Jerry snarled. “My ex-lover, Patrick. It’s a long story. He dumped me in high school and went off to see the world. He broke my heart real bad. But now he’s back living here again and…oh hell. He pretty much spelled out what he wants in this note.”

“May I read it?” Daniel asked.

Jerry hesitated. “You can read it if you want, but beware, he’s an asshole.”

Daniel read through the note and handed it back. “Sounds like there’s a pretty heavy history there. Am I right?”

“Oh yeah. Too heavy I guess. I don’t know why the hell he’s here.”

Daniel shifted his feet and rubbed his stomach. “Look, if you wanna just end it—if he’s trying this hard to win you back. Sounds like he wants me out of the picture anyway. Thing is, do you?”

Jerry’s eyes grew wide and he hugged his date. “End it? No damn way, Daniel! Patrick doesn’t run my life anymore. I choose who I want in my world.”

Daniel ran his fingers over Jerry’s hair. “Are you sure? Are you really over this guy? You said you dated in high school?”

“He was real important to me about six years ago. We was in high school together, that’s right. He was my first serious boyfriend, at least until high school ended; then he left me to go off to college. Trouble is, he just up and left me. No note, no anything. He was with me just the night before and didn’t say a damn word!”

Daniel gasped. “He didn’t even say goodbye? What an asshole!”

“Yeah, he was, or is. I dunno. I can’t figure him out for nothing. I was 16 when we was fuckin like bunnies. My folks was gone, I was on my own. I’d run away from that orphanage. He was my protector; he’s a big guy like you.”

Daniel crossed his arms and looked at his date confidently. “I could take him.”

Jerry smiled at him, encircled the man’s waist and kissed him. “Patrick is out of my life. He ain’t gonna win me back with fancy notes and flowers.”

“He seems persistent. How are you gonna get rid of him?”

Jerry shrugged. “I dunno, he’s persistent cockroach for sure. I’ll ignore him and guess I could call the sheriff if he gets too wild. Course, I got my own rifle; give ‘im a good scare. He’ll back off.”

Daniel kissed him softly. “Well, despite you having a weapon, I think you could use some protection. You said he’s a big guy like me; we can overpower someone a little bit height-challenged as yourself.”

Jerry laughed. “You callin’ me short?”

“I think so, you’re about 5’8”?”

“Thereabouts. That’s why I like them big guys; they can protect me and they make damn good lovers. I like someone who take ‘im down in one punch. Even someone your own size, like Patrick.”

Daniel kissed him softly. “Exactly.”

Jerry wrapped his arms around the larger man’s body and smoothed his hands over the tight jeans and up the hairy arms. “I’d like a whole lot for my body to be under your protection.” He whispered, his lips brushing against Daniel’s.

They kissed one more time before Daniel’s phone alarm went off. He pulled out the device and glanced at it. “Dammit, gotta head into work. I’ll meet you tonight.” He fingered Jerry’s long locks that’d come loose from the ponytail. “Will you be alright here by yourself?”

Jerry smiled at how considerate the man was. “I’ll be fine. I’ll call up Sid and Roger and hang out with them today. Gotta go work on their farm today anyway.”

“Good enough. Have a great day; sure enjoyed last night.” Daniel finished with a smile.

“Me too. Oughta love tonight even more.” Jerry capped with a passionate kiss.

Daniel pulled away. “Damn, not too hot or I’ll have to take a cold shower first; don’t know if the boss’d understand. He’s a nice old man but I don’t think he gets ‘our’ type.”

“I get that for sure. Go on, have a good day. I’ll see ya later.”

Jerry nodded. “I’ll be here, waiting for ya.”

“Dressed or no?” Daniel mused.

“Dressed, but not for long I hope.” They kissed one last time and finally parted from each other. “See you tonight.”

“All of me.” Daniel said with a smile.

Jerry blew him a kiss. “Later, baby. Five good?”

“Five’s perfect.”

“Oh, and don’t worry about these posies, they going in the trash!”

Daniel smiled. “Too bad they’re from him, pretty flowers.”

“Yeah, too bad they’re poisoned. See you tonight!”

“See ya!”

“Later.” They hugged one last time and Daniel drove off to work.

Jerry brought the flowers inside and ceremoniously shoved them into the garbage. He quickly undressed and started an icy cold shower. “Damn, baby…I’d better rest up for tonight. You gonna get quite the workout!”

 

 

Back in town, Daniel reported for his shift at the store. It was quiet for a while; giving him time to reflect on his date with Jerry. He pictured the man’s outfit and taut body that lay under it. His short apron rose a bit at the mere thought of the man! He couldn’t wait to leave so they could have dinner together and be together with him. He could think of hardly anything else until that happened.

Two hours into his shift, there was a mysterious customer to the store. He wasn’t dressed like a farmer, he looked different. He had red hair and sunglasses on. His outfit was boots, jeans, and a tight button-down shirt with the first two buttons undone. The fabric strained against his finely-honed torso. Daniel watched him carefully and even offered assistance.

“May I help you, sir?

The man tilted down his shades and glanced at the name badge. “Daniel, is it?”

“Yes. May I help you?”

“You certainly may. You can leave Jerry alone.”

Daniel fell silent and shot his eyes into at the man as if lasers. He clenched his fists tightly. “You must be Patrick.”

The redhead raised a brow. “Oh! I’m honored he mentioned me to you. Yes, I am the one that screwed up and let him go. Now, if you’d be so kind to return him to me, I’d be most grateful.”

Daniel gasped! The gall! The bravado this man displayed! “Are you kidding me? I wouldn’t give him up for anything! You dumped him and if he doesn’t want you back, guess what? I ain’t gonna help him out with that! You made your choice, so has Jerry. He’s moved on.”

The businessman removed his sunglasses and stared into Daniel’s eyes. “Let me make this quite clear to you. I want him, he belongs with me. I can give him everything he wants, while you can give him what…fertilizer? Patrick glanced around the store and wrinkled his nose in disapproval. “Such a chic little boutique here…charming indeed. I’ll have to shower once I get home for sure. Let him go, Daniel. He’s always been mine. You’re merely a diversion.”

Daniel crossed his arms and scowled. “Well, we’ll just have to let Jerry make that decision for himself, won’t we?”

“Indeed. He’ll make the right choice and choose me. I know he will.”

“Well we’ll let him decide, he is an adult. Now, are you actually going to buy anything or can I throw you out now?” Daniel shot back.

“Tsk, tsk. Such rude customer service. It’d be a pity if I had to tell your boss of your manners, or lack thereof.” Patrick hissed while he glared into Daniel’s eyes.

“Jerry is a free man. He can choose whomever he wants. Leave him alone.” Daniel warned.

Patrick smiled. “Such a quaint little threat. I’ll be off now; take heed of my warnings too, if you can use your 90 IQ to process it all. Good day, Daniel.” He turned on his heel and left the store.

Daniel tossed a roll of register paper in his direction in a fit of anger! “You absolute bastard! I hope Jerry rips your offer to shreds!”


CH 6

 

At 5 p.m. sharp, Daniel showed up at Jerry’s doorstep. In one hand was a bag with their dinner; Mexican food. In the other was a single red rose.

Jerry opened the door and greeted his date. “Hey, handsome! How was your day?” Jerry asked while kissing him.

Daniel kissed him back. “Interesting. Yours?”

“Come on in, damn that stuff smells so good! Makin’ my stomach growl loud as an angry dog!”

Daniel handed him the flower. “I un, I know it’s only one, but I can’t afford…”

Jerry kissed him. “It’s beautiful. It means a lot more than that dozen just left at my door. Especially since it’s from you.” They kissed again; Daniel held him closer. He wanted to tell him the truth of all his feelings, but now didn’t seem to be the right time. “Oh, dropped by the ranch; all the fields is nicely planted and should start sprouting soon. So, what was interesting about your day?”

Daniel didn’t want to ruin their date by mentioning his run-in with Patrick. He shuffled his feet a bit and fingered the rose. “Nothin much, just, missin you a lot. Was countin’ the hours. You got a glass for this?”

Jerry mindlessly got a plastic tumbler and filled it with water and plopped the flower inside of it. He sniffed it again and smiled. “I was too. This morning was a bit tough to get focused.”

Daniel smiled. “I’m glad this is our third date. I’ve wanted you from the start!”

Jerry grinned. “I’ve wanted you too. I’ll take it however you want me to, slow and steady or fast and raunchy, whichever way you want it.”

Daniel smiled. “Sounds good to me.” He leaned forward and kissed Jerry sweetly. “Let’s eat and then get to the good part.”

The blond gulped for a moment. That’s how Patrick would phrase it; the good part. Maybe it was just a general expression? He shoved it aside in his mind and opened up his tray of quesadillas. He sniffed them They gulped down the remainder of their meals and set the containers and utensils on the coffee table in front of them.

The blond shut his eyes and ran his fingers along the man’s beard. “You feel so good…I want you bad…”

Daniel grinned at the handsome blond. They kissed again and it went a bit deeper and longer this time. Jerry wrapped his shorter arms around his date’s body and ran them up Daniel’s shirt.

“You got nice muscles…very nice. You’re one handsome devil.” Jerry unbuttoned and cleared away Daniels’ shirt, revealing his hairy, toned chest. The blond leaned forward and smoothed his hands and tongue all over the newly-displayed flesh.

Daniel held Jerry closer to him and fingered his date’s shirt buttons. “Let me see you now…”

Jerry sat back and obliged, he cleared away the shirt from his pale, slightly hairy chest. It glistened with light blond hairs when the light caught it. Daniel smiled and kissed his date.

“Damn, you a good lookin guy! You keep yourself in shape…” Jerry gasped as Daniel rubbed his hands all over his chest and suckled his pecs.

They glanced into each other’s eyes briefly and joined hands. “Come on.” Jerry glanced back at the bedroom, not four steps away. “Let’s go in there.”

Daniel nodded. “Lead the way.”

They trotted back to the bedroom and shut the door. Jerry pulled off his boots one by one and lay down on the bed. Daniel did the same and straddled the blond. They kissed passionately and held onto each other as closely as possible.

“I want you…” Jerry whispered. “I got condoms all ready and everything.”

Daniel grinned and slipped his date a french kiss. “You think of everything, don’t you?” His fingers danced down to Jerry’s jeans and unbuttoned them. He slowly pulled the fabric down and exposed his lover’s milky-white skin. He smiled widely at the sight. “Damn you are one sexy fella!”

Jerry helped to clear away his jeans and tossed them onto the floor. “Let’s see how hot you are under those tight pants.” He unzipped Daniels’ jeans and slid them down his naked body. They flipped them onto the floor as well. Jerry’s blue eyes sparkled like sapphires. “Holy crap!”

Daniel grinned and straddled the man again, this time their bodies pressed together tightly. Jerry moaned the moment it happened; he’d never felt like this; not even with Patrick! He ran his fingers through Daniel’s short hair and felt the sweat drip from his scalp. Daniel held Jerry tightly and kissed him continuously. He laid the man down and lay directly atop him, his affections not ceasing once.

Jerry panted for air as he felt his libido and passions rise, as well as his cock. He mindlessly reached for the condoms next to them on the nightstand.

“Dan-Daniel? We have to use one of these...for your protection.”

Jerry’s mouth was taken by his lover’s; enveloped into the rosy pink lips of Daniel’s. He was unable to speak for several moments.

Daniel traced his finger down the river of sweat that traveled down Jerry’s chest. “I’ve been tested. I take it you have, right?”

“Well, yeah! I get one done every six months. Clean as a whistle. Somebody up there likes me.”

Daniel kissed him again. “I believe you, I trust you.”

Jerry felt tears behind his eyes! No one had uttered the ‘t’ word in eons! He kissed Daniel sweetly and hung his arms around his lover’s neck.

“I wanna…”

“You wanna whaaaa!” Jerry cried out as Daniel sank his large mouth around Jerry’s cock, enveloping almost all of it. Jerry moaned as the man’s lips were strong and the suction was firm. Daniel stroked Jerry’s legs with his large hands and held onto him tightly. After a few intense moments, tensed up, but Daniel didn’t budge. Jerry watched his lover’s throat move as he swallowed the load he’d just ejected. He sat back a bit, in awe.

“Y-Ya swallowed it? Why?”

Daniel smiled and licked his lips. “I want to keep some part of you with me in my own body. Hope you don’t mind.”

Jerry couldn’t fight the happy tears anymore. He hugged Daniel close and let a few fall down his flushed, sweaty face. In his mind he wanted to utter the three words that’d always meant more to him than any other. I love you. He wanted to say them to Daniel, but could he? He regained his composure and wiped his eyes before he looked back at his new lover.

“You alright, Jer?” Daniel asked. It was a sweet tone, full of actual consideration and caring. A tone completely alien to him.

Jerry caught his breath. “I’m great…that was incredible!”

Daniel smiled. “My ex-lover was a dirtbag, but he was white-hot in bed. Taught me a lot of things. Now I get to pass them onto you.”

Jerry smiled. “You’re a quick learner for sure.”

They kissed again and the blond remembered that Daniel hadn’t come yet. He pulled back and glanced into the man’s brown eyes.

“What is it, baby?”

“It’s my turn…I gotta make you dump your load.”

Daniel laughed and ruffled the blond strands. “Whatta romantic you are.” He took Jerry in his arms and rolled him to where Daniel was now laying on his back. He held the pale man close and ran his hands over the smooth, white buttocks of his new lover. “Mmm, such soft skin you have. You sure keep your body in great shape.”

Jerry kissed him squarely on the lips. He could still taste his own fluid’s residue; a strangely erotic flavor. “I didn’t eat much, just drank and smoke. I’m better now. Your body is super hot too. I’d like a full tour later.”

“Mmm, guaranteed.”

Jerry ran his fingers down the sweat-laden naked chest beneath him and pushed his ever-intrusive blond hair to the side. He bent over and swallowed up Daniel’s cock into his mouth. The brunette cried out a bit; with all of Jerry’s practice, he’d indeed become the master of the blow job. Jerry slowly bobbed his head to and fro and Daniel felt his pulse race and he panted for air.

“Baby…ohmygaw…Jerry…” he whispered.

Jerry winked at him and increased the intensity. Daniel reached for his own hair, in an apparent attempt to hold his head on. His breathing increased and he shut his eyes.

“Jerry…please…”

The blond pulled away a bit, realizing the intensity was too much for his young lover. He licked the dick from base to tip, which inspired a fountain of white fluid to spew forth. Jerry covered it with his hand and licked the cum from his palm. “Mmm…Daniel-flavored.”

They smiled at one another, but Jerry looked on with concern at the man. “I’m sorry that was too intense for you! Are you alright?”

Daniel panted out a reply and smiled at his lover. “I’m fantastic.”

Jerry let out a sigh of relief and bent over to hug him. Daniel ran his fingers through the long, flaxen strands of his lover and held him closer.

“This was the most intense session…I’ve never felt this intense about it before…” Daniel admitted.

Jerry’s mind raced with thoughts as he held on tight to Daniel’s chest; cuddling and savoring each moment. He pictured Patrick and himself having sex on a thrice-daily schedule, each time more intense than the last. Jerry sat back a bit and covered his face.

Daniel sat up. “You alright? Did I do something wrong? Oh shit, I called you baby didn’t I? More than once…I’m sorry, if you don’t like that, I won’t do it aga—

Jerry cut his ramblings off with a kiss. “You can call me anything you want to. I’m…just havin flashbacks of my past.”

The larger man took him into a bear hug. “Tell me about it…maybe I can help. I want to be there with ya, Jer.”

The blond looked over his shoulder at the tender stare of his young lover. His arms felt so strong, yet held him gently. His breath blew into his ear and his hot breath reached his soaked neck. Everything about Daniel was perfect; so why did Patrick keep popping into his mind?

“I’m alright. I really can’t talk about it yet. It has to do with my past.”

Daniel nodded. “I understand. I have something to tell you too…he came to see me today.”

Jerry’s eyes widened and then morphed into a scowl. “He what? What’d he say to you?”

Daniel ran his fingers along Jerry’s skin. “He said he wants you back and you belong with him only. He said I should do the gentlemanly thing and step aside if I know what’s good for me basically.”

“What’d you tell him?”

Daniel kissed him. “Are you kidding me? I want you! I just made love with you, I’m not giving up! I’m here to protect you now, I wanna keep seeing you and making love with you; I hope you want the same thing.”

Jerry grinned widely. “Of course I do, but I hope he won’t make your life miserable because of me.”

“Let him do his worst.” Daniel said confidently. You and I are great together! Don’t let him win you over just to hurt you again, which you know he’ll do! Hey, I’m being selfish here, I want you all to myself, Jerry. You’re a hottie, and funny and I really love hanging out with you. I wanna be yours alone, can you handle that?”

The blond wrapped his arms around Daniel’s neck and kissed him sweetly. “I think I could totally handle that…I wanna be just your’s. Fuck Patrick, and I don’t mean literal-like.”

Daniel held the man close and ran his fingers over the moist tendrils of hair. “Atta boy. You’re all mine, baby.”

They kissed again and fell back on the bed together. After a few moments of making out, they cuddled together and fell asleep.

 

 


CH 7

The following morning, Daniel awoke Jerry with a deep kiss. They made out for a short while and soaked in each other’s presence.

After a glance at the clock; Daniel groaned. “Dammit, I gotta goto work, baby. Can I come by later on?”

Jerry smiled at him and traced his fingers down the naked body. “You can come by anytime you like, Daniel. Day or night.”

They kissed again and Daniel ran his fingers over Jerry’s lips and saw the new teeth behind them. “You didn’t take your teeth out last night. Too distracted?”

“Just a bit.” The blond licked his lips and pulled his lover to him and kissed him again. They rubbed their cool bodies against one another and smoothed their fingers down each other’s skin.

“Hey, where’s my tour?” Jerry asked coyly.

“Right here, baby.” Daniel replied. He tossed off the cover and sat up on his knees.

Jerry’s eyes drank in as much as possible. The bright sunlight glinted off of Daniel’s gorgeous physique. His hands rubbed the legs, and in-between, and finally up the spine and down the chest. He kissed the man again. “Daniel…I…”

“Shhh, no words.” They kissed again and Daniel held the man close. “Not until tonight. I have to get to work soon.”

“I wish you didn’t have to.” Jerry said airily.

“Me either, my dear.” He searched for his clothing and slipped it over his naked skin. “I’ll call you later…thank you so much for last night.”

Jerry hugged him warmly. “Anytime, and I mean that!”

They kissed a few more times and Daniel left for the day.

 

Once again, two hours into his shift, Daniel had a visitor, Patrick. He didn’t look very thrilled.

The redhead pointed a finger at him. “Did you mention my offer to Jerry?”

“Oh, was that a request or a demand you issued? Get outta here, Patrick before I have to call the sheriff.”

The wealthy man shot a look into Daniel’s eyes. “I thought I’d made myself clear. You were to tell Jerry goodbye and he was to be returned to me.”

Daniel glanced up at him and scowled. “Oh you were crystal clear, believe me. I thought about it and I told him what you wanted. He was pretty frank in his reply, too. Jerry wants me, not you. We’re quite happy together, so I think I’d just leave him alone if I were you.”

Patrick bristled. “Is that a threat?”

“Nope, just the truth. Jerry and I are together now; I told him what you did and he wants nothing to do with you.”

Patrick shook his head and looked around the store. “How much do you make an hour here, Daniel?”

“Why?”

“Can’t be much more than minimum wage. Must be awfully tough to get a place of your own.”

Daniel shifted his feet. “I’m working on it, thank you. Not that it’s any of your business. I still live with my parents…but there ain’t no shame in that in this town.”

“I’m sure. Do they agree with your staying out all night and seeing Jerry? Wouldn’t it be more private if you had a house of your own? You could have your primal encounters in private under your own roof.”

Daniel had to admit, he’d loved to have his own place. Damned if he’d let it show, though. He hated that Patrick could see through him like an icy pond. “Course it would, but I’m working up to that.”

“Oh? How much do you have saved up?”

Daniel scowled. “What the hell’s your point, Patrick?”

“My point is, I help you live your dream if you leave Jerry alone. Do we have a deal?” He unearthed several $100 dollar bills from his wallet. Daniels’ eyes grew wide! It’d take years to save us that much from his store job!

He shoved the bills away from him. “No, we don’t have a deal. I don’t want your damned money and Jerry doesn’t want anymore of your damned flowers or gifts. I told you, Jerry and I are happy together and that’s all that matters. I’ll get a house or even a hut if I have to. The point is, he doesn’t want you.”

Patrick tucked the bills back into his wallet and put it back into his trousers. “Poor, confused man that he is, as are you. Very well, you cannot be bribed. How noble. There’s more than one way to Jerry’s heart. I know him better than you by far; I will win. I always win.”

Daniel glared at him. “He’s not a prize to be won. He’s a man with feelings and a life and a heart…not just someone to buy.”

“He’s mine, and that’s the end of it. End whatever you have with him or you will truly be sorry.”

Daniel glared at him. “Is that another threat?”

“Perhaps. Interpret it however you like. Farewell for now.” Patrick sauntered out of the store and checked his watch. “You’ll learn who always wins, Daniel. Always. Good day.”

 

Daniel shook his head and tried to defuse his anger. He said a silent prayer that Patrick would not get into Jerry’s head or anything else for that matter.

 

 

Back at Jerry’s house he sat and chattered on the phone with Roger for over an hour, telling every detail of last night’s date. He felt like a teenage girl; but didn’t mind. He was happy for once and had to share it with his friends.

 

“I love him, Rog. I just gotta get up the nerve to tell him. I think he feels the same way!”

 

“Whoa now, are you sure? You’ve been down this road once before, remember?”

 

“I know, I know. But it’s all so ideal. He’s respectful and kind and damn is he a good lover!”

 

Roger laughed. “There’s more to a relationship than that, my dear boy. Look at Sid and I. It took months for us to develop anything. He’s a hard man to get to know.”

 

“But ya did and look at your two! You’re married now! You got your man, I’m gonna get mine. I’m gonna tell him tonight. I’ve got to!”

 

“Well, you know my advice. Know your true self and feelings. Be sure you’re truly in love and not just feeling lust. Trust me, that’s what I had with Quinn. Look how that turned out.”

 

“I’ll be careful, Rog. I promise. Say hey to Sid for me.”

 

“I will. You take care!”

 

“You too!” Jerry hung up the phone and ran off to the shower to get ready for his date that night.

 

CH 8

 

After cleaning what there was of his house, he tended to daily items to keep his mind occupied. He walked up from his postal box and sorted out the large stack. “Damn. Junk mail is most of it.” But something stood out from the pile. It had the hospital’s name on it. “What the hell?” He felt a shock of uneasiness wash over him as he remembered the night he was kept there after a long binge of drinking. Three days, $20,000. They had been generous enough to forgive most of the bill, but not all of it. He opened it apprehensively. Sure enough.

“Dear Mr. Evans, please remit the total past due balance of $5,000 or we will have to seek action from our collection agency. Please call the financial aid office for assistance.”

“Crap! $5,000! I ain’t got that kind of dough! Who do they think I am? Rockefeller?”

He slapped the bill down on the countertop in the kitchen and flopped himself down on the sofa. His thoughts drifted to Daniel and their night together. A smile formed on his face and he unbuttoned his jeans and reached inside them to pleasure himself with the racy thoughts.

Suddenly, a knock came to the door. Jerry scrambled to button his jeans back up, overturning the pillows and the table in his hurriedness.

“Just a damn minute!” he shouted. Finally, with his clothes back in order, he opened the door and saw who was there. “Fuck!”

“Well, I prefer the word sex, but let’s go with your term for it.” Patrick replied with the most devilish of grins.

Jerry barely budged. “What the hell do you want? Didn’t I just toss you outta here yesterday? Day before?”

Patrick pushed past him and walked inside. “I suppose you did, if you call that tossing.” He rifled through the papers on the kitchen countertop.

Jerry walked over and pulled his arms away. “Hey! That’s private stuff, you have no business just bargin’ in here and riflin’ through my mail! You got no right to my life anymore, Patrick.”

The redhead cupped the upset blonds’ chin. “Oh, really? I have deep concern for you, my dear. I always have. I’m greatly troubled by that clerk you’re sleeping with.”

Jerry pulled away from the man’s supple hand. “You leave Daniel alone. He told me you dropped by and was threatenin’ him! He told me what you said, that he should just give me up and let you win again? I don’t think so! You busted my heart once before, you ain’t gonna get away with that again. I found a real man who wants me for who I am. Not some naïve kid who had no idea how you really were.”

Patrick seemed to be actually either offended or upset by the stinging words. Or was it hurt? After all, this Patrick, the same man who never cried or showed feelings outside the bedroom? He pursed his lips and looked into Jerry’s sky blue eyes. The same eyes he’d fallen for in high school. The same eyes that he left to go to college and see the world. The eyes that dripped with tears of joy in bed the day before he said goodbye.

Patrick shut his own eyes for a moment, fighting every emotion. “I guess you’ve made your argument clear, then. You don’t want me back? Even thought I could give you everything you’ve ever dreamed of? I could make up for all those lost years and fix everything in your life?”

Jerry stood back and his eyes were fixated on the man’s chiseled, pale face. Such a brutishly handsome man he was, dammit! He could barely beat down the lust he still had for the Irishman, but yet his feelings were in such a state of flux, he nearly felt ill. “I want Daniel. Not you. Is that clear enough?” He ducked away and ran over to the bathroom.

Patrick took a deep breath and took in the words. His green eyes darted back over to the trash can where he saw the roses shoved deep down. The roses he’d bought just for Jerry! Over on the other side were some sunflowers and a single rose; undoubtedly from Daniel. Fine, two can play at this game. He glanced over his shoulder and saw the bathroom door was still closed. He pulled out his smartphone and in very quick moves, took photos of the hospital bill. As soon as the door opened, he tucked it back into his jacket.

Jerry growled. “Why are you still here? We’re done, Pat. Finished. I got a man that I really think can love me back for once.”

“So be it. If that’s how you want your life to be, then it’s your choice. I offered you what I have, Jerry. My house, my bed, my money, and my heart.”

Jerry ushered him towards the front door and opened it. “I don’t need none of that. I got a man, and friends, and some respect for once. I ain’t gonna ruin that. Not anymore. Now get outta here and don’t come back!” He put his hand on Patrick’s back and practically shoved him out the door.

Patrick looked into Jerry’s face one last time and walked out the door. He felt the wooden door’s breeze on his backside. He smiled to himself and cocked a brow as he patted his smartphone. “We’ll see about that.”

That night, Jerry and Daniel had their date. It ended up back in the same bedroom where they’d been just the night before. The scene was quiet; both men were spent from their session and were cuddled together with Jerry atop Daniel.

The room was silent, save for the bed creeking from time to time with the extra weight in it. Jerry stared off into the distance and could see Patrick’s smug face uttering the words he did earlier that day.

Daniel noticed that his lover felt colder than before. “Baby?”

“Hmm? Yeah, hon?”

“You’re so quiet. Anything on your mind?”

Jerry bobbled his options in his mind. He could tell Daniel everything or he could leave it be. Obviously he couldn’t say nothing; he’d already been found out. Still, the main question was could he tell his lover what he really wanted to say? “Yeah, a little.” He whimpered.

Daniel pulled up the sheet over them and rubbed his lover’s chilled arms. “What is it? Do you trust me enough to tell me?”

Jerry sat up a bit and looked into the man’s eyes. Such soft, brown eyes. Almost deer-like. He hated that he was involved in this soap opera; but by being his lover, he’d chosen his mate and was too far in now. “I hate that Patrick has involved you in what should be my fight.”

“Hey, it’s our fight. Together. I’m the one seeing you and sleeping with you; I’m involved, we’re involved! My parents want to meet you and my college buds; they all know. I want everyone to know all about how wonderful you are.”

A happy tear left the blue eyes in front of him. “Really?”

“Really. Now, suppose you tell me about why this should be just your war again.”

Jerry kissed his lover and held him tight. “He won’t stop fighting for me; he never will. I hope we can survive that.”

Daniel stroked the pale face. “You listen to me, Jerry Evans, I’ve no plans at all on giving you up. Not ever. I know it’s early on in this relationship, but everything feels so right, doesn’t it? Am I alone in this?”

“No…you’re not alone.”

“Besides, Patrick already involved me. He dropped by the store again today.”

“That fucker! What did he do this time?”

Daniel steadied the man over his mid-section. The warmth between them grew a bit as their tempers flared. “He offered me cash money!”

Jerry’s eyes grew wide. “He what? Shit, since he’s got it, he wants to flaunt it. What was it for?”

“To buy a place of my own so we could get together under our own roof.”

“You didn’t…what did you do?”

“I wouldn’t dare take his damn money. I shoved it back at him and told him what he could do with it. I’m working on my own plan for us.”

Jerry grinned and kissed the bearded man. “Really? What plan might that be?”

Daniel grabbed his lover’s torso and tilted him down so he laid in his arms. “It’s my top-secret love nest mission.”

“I like the sound of that. How far are you on it?”

“Not very far yet; but I’m saving what I can.”

“And here I am going out with you causing you to spend your hard-earned money. I get paid soon from Sid and Roger’s place. They’re selling their dairy items this weekend.”

Daniel kissed him deeply. Jerry held on and wrapped his arms around the wide neck. “Jerry…”

“Yeah?” he asked breathlessly.

“Would you live with me? I mean in about six months when I get enough money together?”

Jerry half smiled, half pouted when he heard the idea, but frowned at the time frame. “Six months? Baby, that’s a long time…let me help you out.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t do that.”

The blond snapped back a bit. “What do you mean you can’t do that?”

“I mean I wanna do this on my own. I want to be able to support the man in my life on my own accord.”

Jerry tilted his head. “You wouldn’t take help from little ‘ol me? Why not?”

Daniel rubbed his hand up his lover’s legs. “Mmm, you feel good. I don’t want your money, baby. I just want you.”

Jerry scowled at him and shoved the hand aside. “Excuse me? What did you just say?”

Daniel’s eyes grew wide with surprise. “What? What did I say?”

“You don’t want me to help out at all? Isn’t that a bit like being a gigolo? The very thing I’ve been accused of being?” Jerry finished with a yell.

“Baby, I didn’t mean it that way…”

“How the hell else could that be taken, Daniel? Tell me that!”

Daniel struggled for words. “Well…what about your buddies, Sid and Roger. Didn’t you tell me that Roger worked for no pay? He lived there for free?”

“I can’t believe you just said that! Sid was broke! Roger helped him out by working the farm! They didn’t even sleep together until Sid got paid and could help him out! We’re nowhere near their situation so don’t even make that comparison!” He threw back the cover, found his jeans on the floor, and pulled them back onto his body.

Daniel reached for him. “Hey…I’m sorry, I didn’t know all of that. My point is I want to make a home for us.”

“Yeah, but you want it to be only your money that does it. To hell with what I make and do for a buck, huh?”

“Why are you getting all bent out of shape on this? Isn’t that what your precious Patrick is offering you too? A house with free rent as long as he gets the occasional slap n’ tickle from you?”

Jerry gasped aloud and slapped Daniel across the mouth. It made a horrific sound and when it was over he stood back and couldn’t believe he’d done it! “Daniel…I’m so sorry!”

The brunette felt around for his clothes and after tossing back the sheets, he climbed out of bed and quickly redressed. “I can see Patrick is really gonna win this one, isn’t he?”

Jerry tried to grab Daniel’s arm as he rounded the corner for the door. “Wait, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to do that! Dammit, Daniel, I love you!”

Daniel scoffed. “You love me? Really? You make it a habit of beating up your lovers?”

The blond wagged his head and fought tears. “No, but what you said just infuriated me!”

“Dammit, baby, I’ve felt the same way ever since our second date; I’ve got it bad for ya, I mean real bad! But if you can’t accept the way I want things; then I don’t see how we’re gonna survive!” He turned away; his emotions in flux.

Jerry’s eyes overflowed with tears. He knelt down in front of the brunette. “We can work it out; we can do something about this. Dammit man, we’re in love! You know how fuckin rare that is for me?”

Daniel shut his eyes and pictured Patrick. He could almost see Jerry in his arms, telling him the same things, doing the hot things to his body and turned away. “Not rare enough. I wish neither of us had ever met Patrick.” Tears rolled down his cheeks and he brushed them away hurriedly. “He’s the main problem we’ve got.”

“I disagree.”

“What?”

“No. It’s you and your damn stubborn pride! You won’t let me contribute to our household at all…nooo. It’s gotta be all Daniel or nothing! Well, baby I’m sorry but I can’t live like that. I won’t! I’ve got Patrick offering me the fuckin moon! Do you see me takin’ it? Huh? Do you?”

Daniel shook his head. “No.” he whispered.

“Damn right. Now listen to me Daniel Munson, I’m in love with you and for us to be together we’re gonna have to both contribute whatever money we can get our hands on, square?”

“Fair, I guess. I just like to take care of people. I wanted to take care of my ex.”

“Did he use you?”

“Oh, bigtime! He drenched me for every cent I could get. Leaving college was the only way to get away from him.”

Jerry approached gently and took Daniel’s hand. “Look, we’ve got a real chance at something wonderful here. Just let me help you; let me be your true lover and equal, alright?”

Daniel nodded and looked into his favorite blue eyes. “On one condition.”

“Yes?”

“That we go back in the bedroom and make up for this awful fight.”

Jerry grinned widely. “I’d be only too happy to.”


 

CH 9

 

Two weeks had passed he and Daniel saw each other daily, and most were overnight visits.

The only thing that still haunted Jerry was seeing that look in Patrick’s face the day they last spoke. He looked almost wounded, in a way he’d not been before. Was his love real? Did he really want him back that badly that he’d threaten everyone in his way?

Daniel and Jerry had been out walking around the land that encompassed Jerry’s former farm. He became so lost in thought that he had to literally shake his head and attempted to purge the thoughts from his mind. His hand dropped from Daniel’s.

“Jer? You alright?”

The blond swung his head back so suddenly, his hair whipped around, striking him in the face. “What? I’m sorry.”

Daniel laughed softly and played with the long, flaxen strands. “I asked if you were alright.”

“Oh. Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“Your hand dropped out of mine like something made your attention waiver.”

Jerry swallowed hard. “Oh, I did? I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“Hey, it’s alright. I’ll just have to hold on tighter.” He lowered his face to meet his lover’s. Their lips met and they embraced warmly. “Love you, baby.”

The man’s deep brown eyes looked his way and all words were lost. He formed a quick smile and kissed him again. “Love you, too. I need to get the mail.”

Jerry trekked down to the roadway and opened up the box from the other side. He flipped through the small stack of four items. Two of them were ads, the third was the electric bill, and the fourth…was the hospital. He groaned aloud and walked back up to join Daniel. “Dammit.”

“What is it, baby?”

“Oh it’s the damn hospital. I meant to call them, but with everything that’s been going on, I forgot to. I need to make arrangements for paying off the huge debt I owe them.”

Daniel nodded his head in remembrance. “Oh yeah, didn’t you tell me they were gonna put you into collections?”

“Yeap. Sure were. That’d ruin my credit even more. I guess we’d have to rely on your income when we start living together. Can’t wait for that, by the way.” He seductively looked into Daniels’ eyes and lured him down for another kiss.

“Nothing would make me happier, but you know my situation. You’re not exactly well-off. What kind of place could two poor guys get together?”

“We could get whatever place we need. As long as we’re together!”

Daniel held him close. “I want us to get a place, but only if it’s good enough. It’s gotta have running water and heat and a/c. All those things. Phone, satellite too maybe. Like my folks.”

Jerry shuddered a bit. He recalled Roger telling him of his ex, Quinn. His house was huge, and loaded with all the modern niceties. The only problem was, he was treated like garbage. Jerry knew Daniel would never treat him like that; still, the thought petrified him. It was all too Patrick-ish. “Why couldn’t we live like Sid and Roger did? The first few months they barely had anything! Their only heat was the fire, and they barely had cooking fuel, no lights, nothing!”

“Baby, what’re you saying?”

“I’m saying, that I want us to live together! Just pick a small house or hell, even a tent! As long as I’m with you!”

Daniel shook his head. “I can’t do that to you. Look at the dump you live in now. Do you really wanna keep living that way?”

Jerry nodded. “Yes.”

“You’re very sweet, but I want more than that, and I think you do too. Come on, let’s get inside. Build a huge fire, get these clothes off.”

“Coming.” Jerry kissed him again and held him tight.

 

They walked back indoors and Daniel walked around the corner to the bathroom and shut the door. Jerry opened up the mail from the hospital and braced himself for the worst case scenario. He took a deep breath, and with every rip of the envelope, he could feel his heart pound faster and harder. Finally, the paper inside was pulled out and unfolded. He opened his eyes and read the first few lines. Then he read them again, and again. What he saw simply stunned him!

“Dear Mr. Evans: Thank you for your recent payment. Your total remaining balance is $0.”

Jerry almost dropped the paper! “Wh-what? How in the world?”

Daniel came out from the bathroom and walked up to the man. “What’s going on, hon?”

“Look at this! I can’t believe it!” He handed the letter to Daniel, whose eyes quickly scanned it and his lips formed a smile.

“Hey, that’s terrific, how’d you do it? Did you maybe call them after all or they had an old file on you? Maybe a charity account?”

Jerry shook his head. “No…none of that. I never even called them! I’ve been too busy with you and the farm. I thought maybe…”

Daniel looked up at him quickly. “What?”

“I thought maybe you had something to do with it.” He whispered in a disappointed tone.

“Me?” Daniel asked in a shocked, amused tone. “No way would I have the garbanzos to take care of something like this. This is…kinda spooky. How did it get paid?”

Jerry felt his stomach drop and a small wave of nausea wash over him. He gripped the letter tighter as the epiphany of whom could’ve paid it came to light in his mind. “Holy shit. It has to be Pat. It’s gotta be.”

Daniel’s smile disappeared as he saw Jerry’s relief fall over his face. It was a sensation he knew he could never give the man as long as he was just a lowly clerk. “Yeah, he’s the only one with that much money on hand.” He replied slowly.

“Yeah. I guess he is.” Jerry looked up into his lover’s face and saw that he couldn’t meet his eyes. “Daniel…”

“Are you going to accept his gift?”

Jerry hesitated for a moment, but shot back with a reply. “He just saved my neck financially. I guess I should be grateful to him. Guess he found the one way he could to get my attention again.”

Daniel caught his arm. “You don’t have to give him anything or even accept this. You could’ve arranged this all yourself.”

Jerry’s rosy lips parted and he smoothed his hair with his hands nervously. The golden strands flattened with the sweat from his palms. “I-I…guess so. I think I’ll call them tomorrow.” Jerry shrugged and finally put the paper down and reached for Daniel’s hand. “I can almost guess what you’re thinking.”

“Can you?” Daniel snapped, which surprised Jerry. “What is a poor boy like me thinking?”

“Hey, what’s with the tone and the whole poor boy thing? We’re both on the brink financially, aren’t we? What is on your mind? You’re kinda freaking me out a bit.”

“Nothing. Everything.” Daniel replied. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and looked down at the floorboards. They were warped, and had spots where the stain had worn off completely. “This is a really crappy house you live in, you know it?”

Stung a bit by the words, Jerry shot him a look. “I know that, but it’s the best a drunken drug-abuser could afford.”

“I know Patrick could give you anything you want, couldn’t he?”

“Of the material world, yes. Emotionally? Not a chance. Why?”

The bearded man stepped back and headed for the door. “I can’t give you anything and you know it. I think on some level you wanted him to pay that damn thing.”

Jerry couldn’t deny it. It would be a great help. “I never asked him to! Ever! I don’t even know how he got my account and their address!”

“Well he did, somehow. I dunno, he’s rich. He’s probably got one of them fancy phones that takes pictures. I betcha that’s how he did it. He took a photo of it while you were in the bathroom and copied the info!”

Both men gasped a bit. That had to be it! Patrick had to have been the culprit. Jerry clenched his fists, grabbed his keys and headed for the door.

“Where you going?” Daniel asked.

Jerry opened the door and looked back at his boyfriend. “I’m gonna go settle this, once and for all.” He walked out the door and headed for his truck.

Daniel followed him a short distance. “Want me to come with you?”

“No. I need to do this myself. This is a huge test for me. If I can stand up to him now, I know that I can always do it. I’ll be back in a bit.” He kissed Daniel quickly. “Love you.” He climbed into the cab of the truck and started the engine. He backed it out and drove down to the highway, all the way thinking to himself. Dammit, Patrick. I need to face you once and for all. You steal my info and pay off my debts for me without me even knowing? We’re gonna get to the bottom of this one!

A short time later, Jerry arrived at Patrick’s palatial home. His expensive car was in the driveway. Good, he was home. He parked his truck a fair distance away, cinched his hair back into a ponytail, and walked up to the front door.

It was a heavy, wooden door, stained in the deepest black. It had a door knocker on it with the head of a lion. He picked up the ring in its mouth and rapped it against the solid door several times. “Patrick O’Leary you get out here!” he yelled, hoping his voice would carry through the thick wood.

A few moments later, the door creaked open and its resident stood at the entry. He looked a tad exasperated, but yet pleased to see who it was. “Well, Jerry! I knew you’d come by eventually.”

Jerry hated that the man looked so damn hot right now. He wore the simplest outfit of black pants, black shoes, and a white button-down collar shirt, but it was the way he wore it. He looked completely perfect, from head to toe. His red hair was slicked back, with not a single ruddy strand out of place. He looked, in a word, irresistible.

“Cat got your tongue, my dear?” Patrick asked with the grin of a Cheshire cat.

“No, dammit! Cat ain’t got my tongue or whatever you just said. I come over here to talk about that damn bill you paid!”

Patrick’s eyebrows arched. “Oh? Did I now? Why do you think it was me?”

“Don’t play them stupid games with me, red. You was at my house the other day and you saw that damn thing sittin’ there. You rifled through my mail and I told you to stop, remember?”

“Yes, I do recall something like that.” Patrick purred.

“Well…that bill was right on top of it all. It was exactly $5,000 owed and that’s how much they got! Even had my account and everything on it! Now I know you probably got one of them fancy phones, don’t ya?”

“Fancy phones? You mean perhaps one that isn’t wall-mounted and looks like something Edison still uses?” He mused in a very condescending tone.

Jerry fumed and pushed the man inside. “Come on, we gonna go take a look.”

“Fine with me.” He let the angry blond pass and walk further into the house.

House was perhaps too small a word for it. Mini-mansion was more suitable. The foyer the two men stood in was two stories tall, with an intricate stone floor, complete with a medallion in the center. It stretched for at least 20 feet until the living area, where an enormous black leather sectional snaked its way around the room. On the far wall was a stone fireplace, complete with mantle. To its left was the expansive kitchen complete with a professional-level kitchen full of granite and stainless steel.

Jerry walked into the house and fell silent. His eyes traveled the walls, drinking in everything they could. The artwork, the décor, the upscale materials used in everything. Every detail mattered. Patrick followed behind him, nudging him towards the kitchen.

“Come. Over here.” He waved his pale in front of the shorter man and they walked onto the pure slate floors.

Jerry actually jumped back a bit. “I ain’t never seen nothin’ like this!” He reached out with his hand to touch the smooth granite countertops. They were black as night, and had flecks of pure white quartz throughout. The glistening sink sported a chef-style faucet, and was housed in a huge independent prep island. They walked in a bit deeper, and over by the bank of cabinets under the window was a stack of work papers and mail. Jerry grinned to himself.

“That’s your stuff, ain’t it? Your mail?”

Patrick nodded. “Yes it is. Do you like the house so far?”

Jerry laughed aloud. “Are you kiddin’? I ain’t never seen nothin’ like this in my life! How do you get all the money to live here?”

“I told you, I’m very good at what I do, Jerry.” He walked over and played with a strand of his ex’s hair. “In fact, I’m very good at everything I do; but you know that already.”

Their eyes met, blue to green. Jerry scanned the beautiful man in front of him and tried to force the image of Daniel, but couldn’t. He eyed Patrick’s red lips, they were dark for a man, but to him, they were perfect. “I know you’re really good at one thing, Pat.”

The two moved closer and nearly hugged when Jerry pulled away. He smoothed his hand over the counters. “What in tarnation is this stuff?”

Patrick smiled. “It’s called granite. Very smooth, very sturdy. All the appliances are stainless steel, top-of-the-line items. I could make you a 7-course meal in this kitchen.”

Jerry whipped his head back around and looked at the man briefly. “Pat, I…need to discuss what you did. Why you paid that bill.”

“Come, let’s sit in the living room. It’s far more comfortable.”

“Uh, yeah. I’m sure it is. Them nice sofas. Leather?”

“Yes, they are. Soft and supple. How did you know?”

Jerry laughed. “It smelled like cow in here. That’s one thing I know is the smells of a farm.” He whacked Patrick lightly in the arm and they enjoyed the light moment.

Patrick cleared his throat. “Well, at least it’s only the whole cow, and not manure you smell.”

The blond shot him a look. “I didn’t come here to fight or insult you. I just wanna know why you did what you did.” He sat down on one of the large cushions and sank into it. He felt the material under his fingers and smoothed it. “Nice sofas.”

Patrick sat across from him. “Thank you. Italian leather, so I guess these are European cattle. Can I get you anything? Soda? Water?”

“Uh, no. I’m good for now, thanks. I just wanna know.”

The redhead crossed his legs and shot the man a concerned look. “I worry about you, Jerry. You seem saddled with so many burdens. Can’t I help you out a little bit?”

Jerry’s eyes flickered to life. “A little bit? You call this a little? To me this is almost two years of payments, if I even could’ve arranged ‘em!”

Patrick waved his hand and calmed the man. “Whoa, calm down now. Please? Look. I have the money and no one to help. Can’t I at least show an act of goodwill towards someone I care very deeply about?”

The blonds’ head bowed a bit, unsure what to say. “I just need to know, am I a charity case to you or did you do it ‘cause you want me back?”

The blatant honesty of the question caught Patrick by surprise. He sat back a bit and rubbed his leg. Jerry watched intently and was very taken with seeing his ex in this light. He actually looked uncomfortable for once. How could this be? The suave, always-in-control Patrick was out of his element? Or was he just not happy with the truth behind his actions?

Patrick leaned forward and put his fingers to his lips. “Jerry, I want you back, that’s no secret. You know that. I’ve made it perfectly clear how I feel about you.”

“You sure have, and to Daniel too. He’s not exactly on his friends list at the moment. So come on, spit it out. Why’d you do it?”

“I did it, because I love you, but that’s no big secret. I wanted to have a fresh start with you. To get off on the right foot again.”

Jerry scoffed. “Well, sneaking a picture of my hospital bill and paying it behind my back isn’t being real honest and upfront, Pat.”

“I know that, I do. I’m sorry for doing it that way, but tell me, honestly. Would you have asked me for help? Was I even a consideration in your mind? I know we haven’t spoken in two weeks, and we left things left than ideal…”

“Less than ideal? That’s an understatement!” Jerry shook his head and pulled at his ponytail. “Look, I might’ve asked if I knew you didn’t want nothin’ in return. But I know where this is headed! You’re gonna hold this over my head and have it as leverage against me. Well forget it!” Jerry tried to stand up from the sofa, and was nearly sucked back down into it. He finally succeeded in extricating himself from the sofa and stomped towards the door.

Patrick sprang from the sofa and went after him. “Jerry, wait! Wait up, dammit!”

The blond finally stopped and turned around. He crossed his arms and left out a huffy breath. “What is it? Another lie? Another story?”

“No. I swear on my life, I don’t want anything in return from you. Honest.”

Jerry let out a laugh, thinking it all had to be a ruse. “Come on, you’re pullin’ my leg, right? You’re saying what I wanna hear just to get me to stay.”

Patrick wagged his head. “No. That’s not it at all. I know you’re happy with Daniel and these past two weeks I’ve had some time to think about things. I won’t interfere. Accept the gift I’ve given you, please? No strings attached.” He held up his hands as if a surrender.

Jerry’s eyes glinted a bit. “A-Are you serious? Really?”

“Really.” Patrick smiled at him and offered his hand to shake. “Can we be friends at least?”

Jerry pulled in the hand and hugged him lightly. Patrick took in the intoxicating scent of the blonds’ long hair and tried not to run his fingers through it. “Thanks, Pat. I mean that.”

“I hope it helps you out. That’s what it was meant to do.”

“I sure hope so. Daniel and I wanna move in together. Now, with working on my friend’s farm and his job, we might have a real shot at something without that horrible thang hangin’ over my head anymore.”

Patrick felt his stomach sink a bit at the thought of Daniel and Jerry moving in together, but tried not to let it show. “Well, I wish you luck.”

“Do you really?” Jerry quizzed.

“What do you want from me now? I’ve told you, I want the best for you. If it isn’t me, then I hope I could at least be partly responsible for your happiness; even if it’s just one small way.”

“Thanks again, Pat. Don’t work too hard now. I know you’ll find someone that’ll make you happy and help you fill this huge house with more than just granite and steel.”

Patrick fought tears. “I hope so. Bye, Jerry.”

Jerry hugged him again. “Bye.” He opened the door and exited the house.

Patrick shut the door behind him, locked it, and ran off to his bedroom and tossed himself on the king-size bed. The man who never let anything get to him and never cried, wept.


 

CH 10

 

Jerry arrived back home with a better feel for the situation at hand. Daniel was still there, waiting for him.

As soon as he walked inside he threw his arms around his lover and kissed him. “Missed the hell outta you.”

Daniel hugged him warmly. “Hey, Jer. Missed you, too. So what happened? I’ve been pacing the floor here!”

Jerry sat them down and took his lover’s hands. “Well, I got to the real reason behind why he did what he did.”

Daniel put his other arm around him and held the man close. “Okay, spill it. What’s the story?”

Jerry cleared his throat. “He admitted he wants me back. That’s no big shocker. He’s told you pretty much to get out of the picture entirely. I told him that I’m happy with you. I think he’s gonna back off! Anyway, he wanted to help me out, but pure n’ simple.”

Daniel looked back at him with a scrupulous eye. “And you’re buying that? I’d think with your history with him you’d have a hard time believing anything he says.”

“Oh, trust me, I had a hard time swallowin’ it for sure! I questioned him and he just seemed like he wanted to do somethin’ for me. If he couldn’t have me back, then he wanted to help out at least.”

“He wants to help you with your future? I thought he was hellbent on getting you back. Not so?”

“Nope. I told him you and I plan on shackin’ up together. Now with that bill paid and off my record, I just know one of them bankers will help us out! We can get our own house!”

Daniel kissed the man quickly and after the celebratory hug, the duo had the same thought cross their minds. “Hey, Jer. Um, you don’t have to answer this if you don’t want to…”

Jerry’s smile waned. He could sense what was coming next. “What is it, baby?”

“Did you ask him to help you out at all?” he said in a low, demanding tone.

“You’d think I’d crawl back to that man and ask him to pay my bills? Are you serious?” Jerry shrieked as he hopped up off the sofa and stared at the man. “I told you what happened, Daniel! I ordered him out of my house and haven’t seen him in two weeks until today! I swear to you that’s the God-honest truth!”

Daniel stood up to face him and crossed his arms. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but this isn’t this what you wanted? By being free of that bill from over your head you can move out of here and live just fine on your own. Did you even try financial aid? Do you want to be under his thumb again? Damn, Jerry! That’s as bad as taking handouts from strangers! You say you wanna live with me, but you don’t need me. You make due just fine all by yourself and when you don’t you go running to your rich ex?”

Jerry’s eyes bulged. “Are you serious? Are you absolutely fucking serious right now? I didn’t ask for this! I mean that! I want only one man, and that’s you, no one else!”

Daniel shook his head and backed away. “No, I don’t think so. You have your man, and that’s Patrick. You know that as well as I do.” Daniel whispered.

“Look…he did something wonderful for me, but he owed me! He busted my heart all them years ago. Now we’re even! Come on, baby. Please? Daniel?” He walked over to the man and tried to take him in his arms, but the bearded man resisted.

“No…as much as it kills me to deny you even a hug…I can’t. I gotta be honest, Jer…I think we’ve been in trouble for a little while relationship-wise.”

Jerry’s eyes pricked with tears and he tried his best to stifle them. “What? What on earth are you talking about?

“Do I really have to spell it out for you?”

Jerry stood indignantly. “Damn right you do.”

Daniel grumbled a bit. “Fine, here it is. You don’t need me…you have your friends and you have financial freedom. Your friend’s farm makes a lot of money now that you share in. I don’t have anything like that! I work in a freakin’ supply store at minimum wage! Living with my parents is the only way I can have a roof over my head!”

Jerry walked towards him. “It wouldn’t be that way if you lived with me. I said earlier, I don’t care what we live in, as long as we’re together!”

Daniel wagged his head. “I can’t help you out at all financially. Your buddy can though. I bet his huge fuckin’ house is gorgeous. Isn’t it?”

The blond narrowed his eyes and tempered his tone. “It’s nice.”

Daniel scoffed. “Nice? It’s the biggest damn house in the county! That was the old mayors house and he had it redone just so he could be near you. You have to know that.”

Jerry pinched his fingers on the bridge of his nose, hoping to stave off a headache. “All I know is that I love you and I want to be with you in our own place! Are we going to or not?”

Daniel’s mind shot in 100 directions at once. He felt a tad ill actually from all of his indecisiveness. He looked at Jerry and all he could envision was a huge dollar sign in front of him with a ‘sold’ stamp in bright red ink. Bought and paid for by Patrick. His property, his love, the man he could never avoid again. How peaceful could their life be with that man in town? What was he thinking even staying with Jerry after he found out about the jealous ex?

“I can’t…baby. I can’t.” He offered a hand, but was summarily denied.

“Why not? Dammit! I love you! What more do you want from me?” Jerry demanded.

“I want…to be able to give you everything just like he can. But I’ll never get there. I’m sorry.”

Jerry shook his head. “You’ll make it come true if you keep on that way. Trust me. Look at me! I didn’t think I’d ever dig my way out of this hole! Now thanks to my friends, I’m way better than I was!”

Daniel stifled sobs. “I wish I could share it with you, but I can’t. Jerry, I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah, I bet you are.” He said through his tightly gritted teeth. “Fine. If this what you want, it’s your decision. I never wanted this to happen and now you’re breaking my heart for no good reason!” He waved his hand in front of the man. “See you around town sometime. Nice knowin’ you.” He turned his back and let his ponytail loose to cover his back.

Daniel looked back and saw the hair moving a bit. He could hear Jerry crying. He walked back slowly and tried to touch his shoulder. “Hon…”

“Don’t call me that!” Jerry snapped. “Fucker! You broke my fuckin’ heart!” He ran back his bedroom and shut the door.

Daniel stood at the doorway and put his head against it. He could hear the man sobbing into his pillow. “I’m sorry, Jerry! I’m so sorry!” After a few minutes and no replies to his pleas, Daniel turned and left.


 

CH 11

 

A full day passed. Jerry had called up Sid and Roger and told them what had happened. They rushed over to his side and sat with him all night. Roger even stayed an extra day to keep an eye on his friend.

Eventually though, Roger had to go home. Depression set in and Jerry thought of the stash of alcohol he kept in the barn for ‘emergencies’. He wandered out to the hay bales and started to toss them aside. Beneath them were four bottles of bourbon. He smiled wide and picked them all up and brought them back into the house. Jerry didn’t give a damn about anything house-related and let everything deteriorate around him.

 

A week after the breakup, after his daily phone call with Roger, Jerry retreated once again to bed and slept. He refused to go into town or even over to the ranch.

Today was different, though. There was a knock at the door, which startled him. He tossed a pillow over his face to drown out the sound, but the visitor was persistent.

“Damn, Rog. Just got off the phone with you not that long ago. What’d you speed over here?” He reluctantly got up and shuffled over and opened the door. Before him stood Patrick, who carried the newspapers and mail that’d accumulated at the curb.

“Hello, Jerry.”

Jerry’s bright blue eyes grew wide in shock as he saw the devilishly handsome redhead again. There was always something about him that made his pulse rapid. “Well. Surprise, surprise, Pat! What’re you doing here?”

The redhead pushed past him and deposited all of the items onto the counter. “Well, hello to you too. You left all of this by the roadside. You shouldn’t do that, you know. It makes it appear as if no one is here and you could get robbed! I merely thought of your safety.”

The blond felt a tinge of several emotions at once. Anger, sarcasm, but remorse for how he’d acted finally won out and tamed his tongue. “I’m sorry. Come on in. Have a seat, if you think you can stomach the environment for long.”

Patrick thanked him and looked around and saw what a complete disaster the place was. There were dirty dishes and glasses all over the coffee table. A few stray pieces of clothing lined the back of the sofa, and there were papers and the four empty bottles of bourbon on the floor. “Good heavens, Jerry! What happened here?”

“Oh. I guess you didn’t hear the news, huh? Daniel and I broke up.”

Patrick tried to hide his delight and consider the man’s feelings for once. “What? Are you serious?”

Jerry scowled at him through his bleary eyes. “Of course I’m serious! You’re the reason, of course. Nothin’ has been the same since you came back into my life. Nothin!” He flopped down on the sofa, barely clearing the pizza box left on the cushion next to it.

Patrick pursed his lips and sat down next to him. He leaned in slowly. “Jerry…I’m so sorry for the troubles I’ve caused in your life. But you had to know the truth, as Daniel did. My feelings haven’t changed for you at all.”

Jerry tilted his head and shifted his hair to one side. “I figured they haven’t. You were always one stubborn cuss. When we were together in high school you’d barely leave my side.” He shut his eyes in remembrance of those happy days. The outright glee at seeing one another, the sex, more sex, and more sex. The absolute joy of exploding in each other’s arms! He shook his head to stop the onslaught. He glanced over and saw that same man, the redhead who’d stolen his heart in his youth. He was there and Daniel wasn’t. It seemed all too convenient.

“Penny for your thoughts.” Patrick offered quietly. He moved the pizza box out of the way and reached for his ex’s pale hand.

Tears began in the blue eyes again, but Jerry batted them away. “Just…thinkin’ about us and the way we used to be in school. I loved you back then, I mean I was really in love! Why did you leave me?!” He asked with a growl.

Patrick shook his head. “I knew this town was holding me back and the only way I could really make it was to go to college and forget all about it! Unfortunately, that had to include you. I couldn’t tell you how I felt back then; I just had to go! Jerry, please believe me. It was the gravest error of my life! But if I hadn’t left, could I have amassed the life and fortune I have now? I can live here in peace, and conduct my business at the same time! I want you with me, Jerry.”

“So you keep saying.” Jerry stood up and walked around a bit and stretched his aching muscles. His face grimaced and his teeth gritted as he tilted his spine. He felt the top plate slip a bit and he shut his mouth quickly. “Dammit! Never gonna get used to these damn things.”

Patrick gave him a look. “Are you sure they were fitted properly?”

Jerry shrugged. “Hell I dunno. They’ve been slippin’ from day one. Maybe my mouth shrunk, I dunno. I got such a big mouth, maybe they’re too small or big…who knows.”

“Have you been back to your dentist?”

“Nope.”

Patrick sighed. “He can fix them for you. If they’re too loose, they need to be relined.”

Jerry rolled his eyes. “I guess. Who are you, Mr. dental expert now? Mr. know-it-all as usual? I just thought it was all the kissin’ I was doing, ya know, and other things.” His mind flew back to himself and Daniel in bed together, and the high suction job he’d done on his date their first night together. The absolute euphoria that coursed through his veins! He saw Daniel’s handsome, bearded face in his dreams, which had now become nightmares. He kept replaying the last scenes of their time together over and over in his mind like an unending song. He looked over his shoulder and saw Patrick giving him a concerned look. It all hit him at once. He covered his face with his hands and attempted to hide his face with his hair.

Patrick stood up and walked over to him. “Jerry?”

The blond fell into the man’s waiting arms and sobbed deeply. His chest was so strong and yet soft. His arms wrapped around the man tightly as his emotions tormented him. It felt so good to be in Patrick’s embrace again. Almost too good.

Patrick gazed down and beheld the sight in his arms. He smiled to himself and stroked the long strands and kissed the head of the upset man in his arms. “Shhh. It’s alright. Everything will be alright. I promise you.”

“Damn that hospital. None of this would’ve ever happened if I hadn’t gotten that damn bill! Course, it all exploded when you paid it off.”

“I had to help you. I love you.” Patrick said gently.

Jerry stood back a bit and looked into the man’s face. He sniffed repeatedly and finally cleared his face. “Pat…I never stopped wantin’ you. Never. I never stopped lovin’ you either.”

It was music to Patrick’s ears! His face perked up and he smiled wider. “What about Daniel?”

“Fuck Daniel. He made his damn choice a week ago. His damn stubborn pride killed us. He made his decision the other night. I can’t stop him from feeling like he does. He said he loved me too, but he broke my heart anyway.”

Patrick took him in his arms. “What’re you saying?”

Jerry steadied himself and looked deep into Patrick’s eyes. “I’m sayin’ I think we should give it a go again, but not right away.”

“I’ll give you all the time you need to heal. I promise you. I’m not going anywhere!”

“You’d better not, or I’ll take you down and flatten you!” Jerry said with a joking twist to his voice.

They laughed together and hugged. Patrick wanted to kiss him, but deemed it wasn’t the right time yet. He’d wait.

“Come on, let’s clean this place up.”

“I’m a messy guy. Goes back to my drinkin days. Course, the Jim Beam helped out a lot.”

Patrick saw the glass bottles on the floor and picked them up carefully. “Well, hopefully that’s over for good, as is your drug abuse and smoking. Jerry?”

“Yeah?”

“How much do you owe on this place?”

Jerry shot him a sideward glance. “Oh no you don’t! You ain’t gonna pay for this hut. I bought it on a handshake deal when I left high school. The principal felt sorry for me.”

Patrick raised a brow. “Really? It was only a handshake?”

Jerry had a playful glint in his eye. “Well, it was a bit more involved than a mere handshake. He was my first one after you. I only did him to get a roof over my head.”

“So it began that soon after did it?” Patrick said in a dismayed tone.

“I had to get a house somehow. How else does a kid with killer looks and no money get a place to live? I wasn’t gonna be no charity case to him or nobody!”

Patrick’s mind reeled a bit. “Wait, isn’t that what you called my assistance? You didn’t want it because of that?”

Jerry fell silent for a moment as he considered his next words carefully. “That was a major exception. You saved my hide from the collectors and the hospital! I called them the other day and they said if you hadn’t paid it, it woulda gone to collection and been real bad for my credit. You did the best thing you ever coulda done for me.”

“Daniel didn’t see it that way I take it.”

Jerry shook his head. “I don’t wanna talk about him. Let’s just focus on cleanin up this joint.”

“Will do. Maybe later we can discuss you moving into better quarters?”

“Pat…” he groaned.

“Hey, I’ll not have you continue to live alone and in this condition! If we’re going to be together again, at least be near me. We don’t have to be lovers at first, we’ll be sharing that huge house! You’ll have your own bedroom, bathroom, the only things we’d be sharing is the kitchen and maybe the gym. That’s it. I swear. Deal?” He held out his hand for Jerry to shake.

Jerry cocked his head in deep thought. “I wanna say yes, but not yet. Let’s call it a maybe.” He looked around at the tattered condition of the walls. “Though it sure would beat the hell outta this place. Winter ain’t too far away and damn does it get super cold in here! Had to bunk with two guys at once one night just to keep me warm.”

Patrick tried not to be shocked by Jerry’s promiscuity. He was young and hot, how could anyone resist him? “Jer?”

Jerry winced. “Don’t call me that. Please? Daniel did.”

“I’m sorry. I’ll need a new nickname for you. Uh…I never did ask. How many men have you been with since we broke up?”

Jerry shot a worried look over at his ex. The scene where he told Daniel the number was fresh in his mind and he remembered the reaction all too well. “I…hate to even mention it anymore. It wasn’t just men, either, by the way. Women wanted me too. I had a couple of real hot ladies in fact. They loved my hair.”

Patrick laughed. “Well, it is lovely. Needs to be washed though, and combed out. Maybe a trim too.”

Jerry gathered all of his hair together and tucked it into his flannel shirt. “Oh hell no! I ain’t getting’ no hair cut! No way, that guy at the barber shop butchers it. I stopped going to him years ago.”

“Relax, hey. Relax.” He caught Jerry’s shoulders and steadied him. “Tell you what. You go in and take a shower. I’ll clean up out here and I’ll take care of your hair for you. Even trim it as little as you want, I promise.”

Jerry smiled at the man and brushed his fingers over the pale face in front of him. “Thanks, Pat. That’d be great. I need to learn to trust you again anyway.”

“It won’t be misplaced this time. I promise!”

Their eyes traveled each other’s faces for a moment and they fought the urge to get closer. “Well. Guess I’ll go find a clean towel and get in the shower. Maybe some clean clothes too. That’ll be harder.” He got up suddenly and hurried to his bedroom where he hunted down some clean jeans and a shirt and brought them to the bathroom. “See you later.” He shut and locked the door.

Patrick picked up the trash and walked it over to the kitchen. “Well, step one finished. Bleck! This place is a dump. I hope he changes his mind and lives with me in at least a place that won’t fall on his head!”

 

A half-hour later, Jerry surfaced from the bathroom, draped only in his towel. His long locks were over his right shoulder, the flaxen strands looked twice as thick as before the shower. The blue towel he wore for clothing hugged his small body beautifully. His torso was still in good shape, but Patrick could see his ribs plainly every time he breathed. He was beautiful.

Patrick stopped his cleaning immediately upon seeing the mesmerizing site before him. “Damn, baby. Always could get my attention in that outfit.”

Jerry laughed and put his arms around Patrick’s shoulders. “I definitely remember that. You’d drop whatever you were doing and usually my towel was the next thing to follow.”

“I know…I remember those wonderful times.” He smoothed his hands over the bare chest in front of him and traced the ribs on Jerry’s sides. He was far too thin his own good. He’d probably barely eaten in the last week, save for the leftover pizza he’d found upon his arrival. He wanted to pull the body towards him and ravish it with kisses and licking, just as he’d done before. Yet, something stopped him. He let go.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Jerry asked with an heir of concern.

“We’re not there yet…I mean to where I can just kiss you like I used to. We’ve still got a long way to go. Trust me, it’s very hard for me to stop myself. You’re a gorgeous man, Jerry. If I weren’t trying so hard to be a gentleman right now…”

Jerry stood back but tapped his fingers along Patrick’s collarbone. “I love that you’ve tamed yourself. What did you do all those years you were gone?”

Patrick put his finger on Jerry’s lips. “I can tell you all of that another time, my dear. We’ll have a long talk about all of it. Including what you’re hiding from me. Deal?”

Jerry nodded. “Deal. Well, I did my part and took a shower. My hair is all set for your majic fingers. Even brought a comb.” He held up a wide-toothed black comb.

“So you did. You have scissors as well?”

“Sure do, they’re in the kitchen.”

Patrick scooted away quickly and went over to hunt for the scissors. He finally found them near the sink. They were a bit dirty, so he cleansed them in the sink and dried them off. “Okay. Ready?”

“Sure thing.” Jerry sat down on the sofa in front of Patrick. He sat up straight as he could and kept the towel in place as best he could.

The redhead meticulously worked his fingers through the wet mop of hair. He combed it out and eyed the area that needed trimming. “Two inches.”

“Huh?”

“That’s how much needs trimming.” Patrick reported.

“Oh. Well, that ain’t too much I guess. Go ahead and do it then. Is it all damaged?”

Patrick eyed the ends. They were split quite a bit. “Bigtime.”

“Go ahead. You did a nice job with the combing. I usually pull out a bunch of hair when I do it.”

“I’ll need something to put the clippings on.”

Jerry searched the living room and found a magazine under the coffee table. He bent over to retrieve it, and the towel slipped slightly to expose part of his white ass. He noticed right away. “Oops, can’t show that yet. Maybe when I’m better. Uh, here. Put ‘em on this. That’s an old edition.”

Patrick refocused his attention on the task at hand. “Okay. Sit real still now. Scoot closer to me.”

Jerry chortled a bit. “Damn, you sound like my teachers.”

“Sorry. I don’t mean to.”

“Don’t be. It’s alright. I’m just pullin’ your chain, Pat. I’m tryin’ to make myself feel better.”

Patrick put down the scissors and smoothed the man’s back that was so prominently displayed in front of him. “Jerry…I dunno if I can do this.”

Jerry turned to face him. “Course ya can, it’s just trimmin’ my hair. I don’t want nobody else to do it for me. Come on, let’s get this done, please? I’m starvin’ to death. I wanna go out to eat somewhere.”

“You want to go out in public with me?”

“Sure do. Daniel made his choice. You’re the only one showing real concern except for my friends. Come on, I can only sit still so long; let’s get it done!”

Patrick sighed and picked up the scissors again. “Will do.” He snipped at the strands and evened everything out. After a good towel-drying, the hair looked shorter, but had a bit more life to it.

Jerry got up and looked it over in the mirror in the bathroom. “Nice job! Way better than that butcher barber.”

“See, I can do something to please you.” Patrick offered.

“You used to do a lot of that.” Jerry said in a lustful melody.

Patrick backed away a bit. “First of many, my dear. Come, get dressed. Where did you want to go to eat?”

Jerry twisted his lip in thought. “How about a different spot altogether? Not in town where everyone knows me. Maybe get some takeout and go back to your house?”

Patrick brightened at the thought. “Really?”

“Yeah. Why not? I’ve been stuck in here all week and I’ve over it. I’m done. I don’t want to see anyone else just yet. Can we go?”

“Uh, yeah! Let’s get moving.”


 

CH 12

 

They drove just past town to a new center that’d opened up in the past few months. There was a brand new Italian restaurant in the center. They walked inside and placed their orders at the counter.

“Dammit.”

“Teeth again?”

“Yeap. As usual. I’ll be right back.” Jerry walked back to the restroom to tighten up his teeth.

Not a minute had ticked by when Patrick watched another patron walk in through the door. It was Daniel.

“Shit…what the fuck are you doing here?” Daniel moaned.

Patrick shot him a look. “I believe I’m getting something to eat. Aren’t you doing the same?”

“I guess. Free country after all. Just hope you don’t ruin my appetite.” He walked up to the counter and placed his order of fettuccine alfredo.

Patrick looked the man up and down. “That’s a very fattening dish. Looks like you could lose a few pounds.”

Daniel shot him a glare and walked over to him, his fist clenched. “I’d stop while you’re ahead rich boy.”

“I’m more ahead than you’ll ever realize, you lowly clerk.” Patrick said snidely.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that our fair-haired lad had made a decision. He’s chosen me after you so brutishly dumped him for whatever asinine reason you gave.”

Daniel fumed! “He’s back with you? You made that up!”

Patrick smiled to himself. “I’m telling the truth. You may ask him yourself when he comes out from the restroom.”

The bearded lad bowed his head for a moment. I knew it. I fuckin knew it! Bought and paid for by this bastard! How could Jerry resist him? “I’m sure. How could he turn you down after you paid his bills for him? You like yourself a nice lil hottie like that, don’t you? Someone you can control and buy little things and your thank you is a nice long roll in the hay, ain’t it?”

Patrick glared at him. “Tsk, tsk. Such a small mind. You can’t see beyond the gifts I give him. I love Jerry in a way you never could. I’m not going away, so I’d get used to the idea of him being with me if I were you!”

“Not on your life!” Daniel reared back and balled up his right hand into a rock-hard fist and launched it into Patrick’s nose!

Jerry had just exited the bathroom, turned his head and saw the punch! He ran up to the scene. “Daniel! How dare you! Get away from him!” The redhead moaned a bit in pain. Jerry grabbed a wad of napkins and packed them around the man’s nose. Shooo….doggie. That’s a bleeder. You gonna be fine, buddy.”

Blood ran down the Irishman’s already pale face and to his pristine blue shirt. “Jerry? Baby, get me to the hospital.”

Daniel stood back and watched the whole heartwrenching scene of his one-time lover taking care of a man who’d torn his heart out years ago. “He deserved it! He threatened me and told me how he’ll always win!”

Jerry shot his ex a look. “That was a reason to hit him? Really? He hates your guts, Daniel! He loves me, like a real man should. Doh…why am I even talking to you? Never mind…I gotta get him to the hospital no thanks to you! You fucking brute!” He picked up the two food orders which had been waiting for them and helped Patrick into his car. Jerry had never driven a foreign car before. He figured out the controls and drove off to the hospital emergency room.

Patrick moaned a bit from the back seat. “Uhhh…what happened?”

“That stupid Daniel hit you in the nose! What happened back there? Is it true you threatened him?”

“I’ll do anything to get you back, Jerry. I told you as much. I offered him money to leave you alone and he didn’t take it; but he left you anyway, didn’t he? Who’s the true loser in all of this? Strange behavior for a man who dumped you, he seems more than a tad jealous at losing you.”

Jerry’s mind reeled a bit. “I’d say so. That or he’s being a sore loser.” He glanced over his shoulder and saw the blood-soaked napkins and felt a bit nauseous. “We’re almost to the hospital. Hang on.”

 

After the longest 15-minute car ride, they reached the county hospital. Jerry waved down a nurse and a wheelchair right away. Patrick was wheeled to triage and then quickly to a treatment room to be patched up.

Jerry used the time that Patrick was away to try and analyze everything that had happened in the past week. It’s been an emotional one for sure. He wished for a cell phone at that moment so he could call Roger and get some advice. He walked out to the lobby.

“Excuse me, is there a phone I could use?”

The nurse pointed to a bank of phones on the far wall. “Over there, sugar.”

“Thank you.” He rushed over and dialed up Roger and Sid’s house. Sid answered this time.

“Hello?”

“Sid? It’s Jerry.”

“Hey, buddy! How are you? Your flowers are finally making a showing. You oughta come take a look.”

“I would if I could, but there’s been an incident kinda. Daniel punched Patrick!”

“What? I can see why, but holy crap! Are you at the hospital?”

“Yes.” He mumbled and tried to hold back tears. “It’s all my fault, Sid. All of it.”

“Shhh, hey now. You didn’t tell Daniel to assault him! It’s obvious they both have strong feelings for you…or it could just be that they’re both macho enough to show off their bravado, the way I used to.”

Jerry laughed. “I remember that. You and I were in one hell of a fight that night. Shit, this whole thing has gotten so out of hand.”

“Easy, bud. Do you want me to come over there?”

“Thanks, but I think I’d better get back. He clocked Pat in the nose. I need to get back by his side.”

“So, you’ve made your decision then? You want Patrick back?” Sid asked in a probing manner.

“Sid, I have no idea what I want right now except for lunch. What’s that phrase? Stay tuned? That’s all I can say for sure.”

“You take care then, please call us if you need anything, alright?”

“Will do. Thanks.” He hung up the phone and hurried back to the ER where Patrick had just been wheeled back in. Amazingly, the nose was not broken, just a bad strike to it. He’d be alright. They were discharged 20 minutes later.

Jerry loaded Patrick back into his vehicle again and they headed for his home. Within 20 minutes, they arrived. Jerry opened the passenger door and helped the redhead out and helped him into the house. He played nursemaid for a while, getting the man whatever he needed.

“Hon?” Patrick mumbled.

“Yeah?”

“Did you eat?”

“After seeing all that blood I kinda lost my appetite back there, but I’m starving again. Do you mind if I eat something from your fridge?”

Patrick waved his hand. “Go right ahead. What’s mine is yours.”

Jerry smiled. That was always a nice phrase to hear. He selected a fresh container of turkey and some bread. With some mustard, mayo, and a pickle on top, he was set. He devoured the sandwich and washed it down with a tall glass of water. “Damn, your water tastes a lot better than mine.”

“Are you on a well?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m not. I’m on the city’s line. Much better.”

“Yeah it is. Can I get you anything? You ain’t eaten either.”

Patrick laughed. “That’s the 15th time you’ve asked me that you realize. I’ll get something when my stomach calms down a bit. I’m fine, baby. Sit down, relax. Take your boots off.”

Jerry sat down on the huge leather sectional and sank into its luxurious cushions. He laid down on his side and put his feet up, with the boots still on. “I don’t think you want my feet stinkin’ up the joint.”

“I was more concerned about not ripping the leather.”

Jerry carefully removed his boots. “I won’t. I wish I hadn’t worn these boots, they get so hot. I feel like I need another shower.”

“Down the hall and to the right.” Patrick said in his half-awake state. He slumped down further into the sofa, closed his eyes and fell asleep.

“Pat? You sleeping?” Jerry walked up and saw that the man was out cold. He smiled to himself and kissed his forehead. “Glad you’re alright.” He searched the hall for a bedroom and a blanket. He found one and brought it out to the living room and covered the sleeping man with it. “You get better now.” He tip-toed out of the room and went to take a shower.

 

An hour later, Patrick awoke to an empty room. He looked around cautiously so as not to upset the cotton gauze still stuffed up his nose. He checked it, still sore as hell, but not bleeding anymore. His stomach growled loudly and he decided to finally feed it with some yogurt from the fridge. After he finished, he walked around the hallway and looked in the bedrooms. First one, empty. Second, office. Third, there was a sleeping figure in one the beds. Looks like goldilocks found one that was just right. Patrick smiled to himself and walked over to the blond figure. He smoothed his finger over the exposed skin of the man, which woke him.

Jerry turned over to see who it was. “Pat? Hey! How you feeling?”

“Much better, thanks to you. You were a really big help to me today.” He smoothed the man’s small face and ran his thumbs over his cheekbones and lips. “You really do care.”

“Well hell yeah I care. Always have. I ain’t ever stopped.”

Patrick smiled. “I see you made yourself at home.”

Jerry’s eyes grew wide. “You don’t mind, do ya? I told you I wanted a shower. Well, I got out and could barely keep my eyes open. My hair was dry, so I just laid down. Fell right asleep.”

“It’s been a busy day.”

Jerry rubbed Patrick’s strong arm and felt his libido rise. “That it has. Hey, how’s the nose?”

“Much better, thanks! I don’t think it’s bleeding anymore.”

“Well that’s always a good thing. Here, let’s get all that packing outta there.”

Patrick nodded. “Let me get a towel first.”

Jerry dove his hand under the sheets and pulled out the one from around him. “Here. Use this one.”

With an amused smile, Patrick cupped Jerry’s chin. “You slept with the towel on?”

“It was dry, honest! I’m sorry.”

“No…don’t apologize. It’s alright. Trust me. Come on, let’s get this garbage outta here.”

They sat and very carefully extracted the cotton wadding. There was still some blood, but very little. It’d dried nicely. Patrick’s nose still looked sore, but it’d be so for a while longer.

“You look like you’ve just had the cold from hell.”

Patrick cautiously touched his nose, fearful of another round of bleeding. “Wish that’s all it was.”

Jerry nodded slowly. “Me too. You never did tell me everything he said.”

“Nothing you haven’t heard already I’m sure. He accused me of buying you things and wanting someone I could have under my thumb. I assure you, I’ve known forever you could never be tamed.”

“Not completely. Came close a time or two though.” Jerry admitted.

Patrick caught his arm and looked deeply into the blue eyes. “Was I one of those times?”

“Yes.”

“Yet I screwed it up completely.”

Jerry nodded slowly. “Look…we have a real chance now to be happy again. I need that in my life. Sid and Rog, they give me some stability, but there’s nothing like coming home to someone you know loves you and wants you there.”

“Didn’t you think that’d be Daniel? Weren’t you two going to live together?”

“I guess so, for a while. He seemed pretty disgusted from the time we met when I told him what a slut I was.”

Patrick ran his fingers over Jerry’s arms. “You haven’t told me yet. How many people have you had?”

Jerry grew fearful of the response. “Promise you won’t get ill or mad?”

“Just tell me, please?”

Jerry took a deep breath. “Alright. It was 40.”

Patrick’s eyes grew wide. “Are you serious?”

“Yes.” Jerry replied in a meek tone. “You’re not grossed out are you?”

“No…I’m not. I’m more concerned than anything else. Have you been tested? Are you safe?”

“I’m fine, health-wise. Luckily even when I was drunk I’d remember to put on a condom. I guess I got real fortunate.”

“I’d say so. Were these people you met at a bar? Or…”

Jerry shook his head. “Most were folks new to town. I’d hang around the hotel and get picked up by some lonely traveler. It was usually men, but like I said a few women really went for the hair.”

“So…did they pay you?” Patrick asked carefully.

Jerry considered the question carefully and it finally clicked in his mind. “Did…you just ask me if I was a hooker? A gigolo?”

Patrick took a breath. “Baby…from the description…”

“No! I wasn’t that! The police knew all about me and never even approached me once! Well, except a certain sergeant who got in a fight with his wife and always flirted with me…but anyway. No! I was not paid for sex. Ever.”

“I’m sorry if it sounded like that…but I just wanted to know…I mean, how’d you pay your bills?”

Jerry let out a sigh. “I know you did and I’m sorry I bit your head off. Didn’t mean to at all. I was young, and hot, and hurting. Sex was the only way to let my feelings out physically. They’d usually buy me my meals, that’s all I asked for in return. Food. As for paying my bills, that’s where selling drugs came into play.”

Patrick stood up, his mind a whirlwind. “So that’s what you became after I left you?”

“Yes. A very hurt young man who’s heart was dead inside. I couldn’t love anyone, not even close! Not long after they’d buy me drinks and drugs…I got hooked! Soon, I’d do someone just for a drink or even a cigarette! I sank to the lowest depths I’d ever been to in my life! Hell, I even remember challenging Sid and his ex Victor in that bar in town. Victor like to break me in half! Strong cuss he was.”

Patrick shook his head and sat down again at his side. “My fault. All of this. You put yourself through hell because of me. Now…you look happier at least. Healthy.”

“I am. Partially due to my friends, but you and Daniel too. I knew there was someone out there who wanted me and cared about my well being again.”

“I want to worry about you again, if you’ll let me.” Patrick offered.

Jerry looked at his sweetly and stroked his arm. “I suppose I could. At least move in here…my place sucks rocks compared to this place. Besides, we have our deal still, right?”

“Yes, deal is still in place. Though I must admit, it’s a little hard to keep my mind on the plutonic side at this moment.” His eyes perused the nude form that was covered in only a light blanket. Every curve and nuance could still be made out.

Jerry sat up a bit and put his hands on Patrick’s face. “I find it a little tough myself.” He cupped the Irishman’s chin and neck and opened his lips slightly. They moved in closer and closer until their lips met in a sweet exchange.

“I love you so much, Jerry.” Patrick said in almost a whisper. His arm snaked around the blonds’ torso and held him close.

“I love you too. Are you still tired?”

“Yes.”

“Come, take a nap with me? We can talk more later.”

Patrick eyed the situation. Be in bed with Jerry, nude, and just sleep? That’d be a first for them both. Usually there was a large amount of sex first…but neither was ready for that yet. After jockeying it in his mind for a moment, he looked into his favorite blue eyes.

“Deal.” He stood up and walked over to the other side of the bed and pulled back the covers. He removed his shoes and socks first, then began to unbutton his bloodied shirt. “Need to put this in the laundry first.” He stripped it from his torso and tossed it in the hamper in the corner. Finally, he unzipped his trousers and slipped them off his body. Jerry watched the entire show and remembered very vividly how quickly they’d undress just to ‘get to the good part’. Patrick stood still for a moment, with his fingers around his nose.

“You alright?”

“Yeah, just a little dizzy yet. Strong fists on that guy.”

“He’s a farm boy, what can I say?”

“Nothing. But you don’t need to say anything else at the moment.” Patrick inserted his thumbs into both sides of his string bikini jet black underwear. As the fabric was cleared away, Jerry held up the covers, revealing himself underneath.

“So handsome.” Jerry whispered.

“You too.”

Patrick climbed into bed and laid his head down right away, feeling the pounding pressure in his nose. “I think I need to put these pillows up.”

Jerry scooted over and went to work. He piled up three pillows at once and made sure Patrick was comfortable. “How’s that?”

“Much better. Thank you.”

“Anytime.”

Patrick ran his fingers through the hair he’d trimmed that day and his eyes traveled down the torso and tried to stop at the covers. “I wish I weren’t so tired right now. I’ll be honest.”

“I know what you mean.” Jerry replied. “We’ll have our time again. Soon.”

“Can I just…hold you?”

“Of course! Here, I’ll scoot over.” Jerry shifted his body over to be against Patrick’s. He kissed the man’s shoulder and neck softly. “Sleep well.”

“You too.” They kissed one last time and Jerry settled his head onto Patrick’s chest. They fell asleep within minutes.


 

CH 13

 

Outside the blissful scene, a pickup truck pulled up into the driveway. It’s only occupant cut the engine and sat in the cab for several minutes before deciding to finally walk up to the front door.

The visitor was about to ring the doorbell when he noticed the door was unlocked. Using that to his advantage, he walked inside as quietly as possible and shut the door behind him.

He snuck his way through the foyer, making sure to keep his cowboy boot heels off the floor as much as possible. He tip-toed his way through the living room and finally back to the bedrooms, where he peeked into each one and finally came upon the one with Jerry and Patrick in it.

The couple was still sleeping quietly; Jerry and Patrick had their hands together outside of the sheet. The redhead hadn’t budged from his elevated position and his nose hadn’t bled at all. Jerry’s head was level with the mattress; his hair strewn out all over the pillow, and the sheet covered from only the waist-down. It was a peaceful scene; one that exuded beauty, trust, and love.

The visitor stopped short in the doorway and studied the duo. He waited and waited for any sign of either to stir, but it didn’t happen. After standing vigil silently for over 10 minutes, the visitor, Daniel, walked out the front door and sat in the cab of his truck. I guess you made your choice, huh, baby? You want to be his property! Fine, don’t need to tell me twice. I love you so much…but I can’t compete. Dammit, I need to get outta this town. Forever. He started up the engine and drove off as quickly and quietly as possible through the river of tears he cried.

 

Jerry opened his eyes a bit; he’d heard the engine. He extracted his hand from Patrick’s, slipped out of bed, walked over to the large window, and pulled back the drapes just enough to see the driveway. He caught the tail end of the truck that left and saw it was Daniel’s. A shudder of guilt went through him as he realized how complicated things had become. He looked over his bare shoulder and saw Patrick still slumbering peacefully. I love you baby, but I don’t know if I can do this anymore. I need to go talk to my friends and figure this out. Still, he couldn’t just leave.

Patrick drew in a large breath and frowned before opening his large, green eyes. “Jerry? You here?” He looked over and saw the nude man standing by the window. “Mmm, that’s a helluva sight to wake up to. Come back to bed before you catch a chill.” He held up the cover and Jerry crawled back inside.

“How’s the nose? How do you feel?”

“It’s fine now, thanks to you.” Patrick whispered; his lips brushed against Jerry’s. They kissed gently.

Jerry smiled. “It’s the least I could do since I was the cause of it all in the first place.” His hair cascaded over his knees as he drew them up to his chin. “This is all my doing. I gotta wonder, what the hell even makes me worth all this fuss?”

Patrick smiled and played with the man’s long hair. “You are worth it; ever bit of it. I just didn’t realize quite how much before. What I did was beyond stupid and short-sighted and I don’t even know if you can ever forgive me for what I did to you.” His lower lip trembled a bit; Jerry had never seen that happen!

“Pat! You’re…emotional? You were never like that before. Hey…shhh. Hon, it’ll all be alright. I promise you. What you did to me was very cold and I never thought I’d get over it or you. But the fact is, I have! Daniel proved to me that his pride is in the way. If he can’t support us, then it’s adios! Well, I’m not down with that attitude.”

“Do you still love him?” Pat asked with a cautious tone. “I’ll step aside if he’s truly who you want.”

Jerry gave him a look. “Really? After you’ve offered him bribe money and told him twice to stay away from me? You’d really give up on me that easily?”

Tears rolled down Patrick’s cheeks; it was the first time Jerry had ever seen his ex cry. Ever! Not even in happiness or during sex! The scene tugged at his heart and he wiped them away with his thumbs. “Shhh…I’m sorry.” Jerry whispered.

“I don’t want to give up on you at all; but I should’ve realized I’m asking too much. Don’t be sorry either, baby, I did this to myself again. I don’t know how to have a relationship at all I guess. I used you before and I’m messing things up with us again. I think I’m the one that doesn’t deserve you.”

Jerry shook his head. “You do, hon. You do. Things are just so screwy right now. In fact, I think we’re being spied on.”

Patrick’s eyes grew wide. “Spied upon? Oh shit! Daniel came by here?”

“Yeah, he did. That’s why I got up. I swore I heard a truck engine and sure enough, I caught just the tail end of his truck leavin’ your driveway. Wonder how long he was here. Oh shit! I wonder what he saw!”

“We’d better get up. Who knows if he’ll be back or whatever he’s going to do.” Patrick advised.

Jerry got out of bed again. “We’d better go find out what damage Daniel has done. If he was in your house…” he started.

Patrick slipped his arms around Jerry’s fair body and cupped his derriere and pulled him back in. “I’m not thinking about that right now…I want you…so bad.”

Jerry gave in to another kiss and wrapped his arms around his ex’s long, lean body. He reached down between the man’s legs and massaged the large mass of red hair that hid the large cock and balls. “Pat…mmm…we gotta go, baby.”

They walked back to the bed. Jerry laid down first and Patrick settled above him. “Not yet. Please?” He slid his hand up Jerry’s leg and rested it in-between them. His large hand massaged the man’s package. He delighted in the moaning sound the blond uttered.

“Pat…mmm. My Pat.” He stuck out his tongue and invited the redhead’s mouth to his. They kissed so completely that their mouths were enveloped inside the other’s. Their arms wound around each other’s forms tightly and the fingers took multiple tours of the skin that lay beneath them.

“Make love with me, Jerry?”

Jerry hesitated for a moment; remembering that Daniel had already been to the house. He could be back at any moment! He kissed Patrick’s neck and suckled at it to form a large hickey. “Let me go lock the door first.”

Patrick whimpered, but understood. He reluctantly let the naked man out of his grasp for a moment.

Jerry tossed on Patrick’s bloodied shirt for cover. “I’ll be right back.” He kissed the man once more and scampered out to the foyer.

 

As Jerry reached for the deadbolt lock and the latch, he heard voices outside. He peeked around the corner of the heavy door and saw not only Daniel, but Sid and Roger as well! Holy shit! The whole damn cavalry is here!

He locked the door as quick as he could then back to the bedroom and into the bathroom where he tossed his own clothes with breakneck speed.

Patrick was very confused. “Jerry? What the hell’s going on? What’re you—

“Get up, baby and get dressed! Daniel, Sid and Roger are all here! Dammit, I knew he’d be back!”

“Not if I chase ‘em away. I’ve got security on this place!” He got out of bed and tossed on a fresh pair of pants and a shirt. “I’ve also got a couple of rifles.”

All of the color from Jerry’s face drained away as soon as he heard the word ‘rifles’. “Holy shit, Pat! You ain’t gonna shoot ‘em are you?”

“They’re trespassing on my property, hon. No one does that at my house!”

Jerry shot him a look and was about to open his mouth again when they both heard a loud pounding at the door. It made both men jump.

“Open the door, Patrick! Now!” Daniel yelled. “We know you’re in there!”

Patrick ran to the gun safe and pulled out a rifle and checked. Yup, fully-loaded.

Jerry hesitated. “Baby…”

“Don’t worry, honey. I ain’t gonna shoot him unless he fires first.”

Jerry felt his mouth run dry and his mind go in a million different directions at once. “Pat…”

“Shhh. It’s alright, baby. I’ve got it all under control.” He walked towards the door and yelled back. “Get the hell off my property! You’re trespassing!”

Sid spoke this time. “Are you holding Jerry hostage or is he free to go as he pleases?”

Patrick looked back at the scared blond. “Do you want to go?”

“Shit, you’re askin’ me this now? We were on our way to a sultry sexcapade and then this happens? I gotta get outta here.”

The redhead shot him a disappointed look. “Wait…what? You’re really leaving?”

Jerry pulled on his boots that he’d left by the sofa. “Damn right I am! I can’t deal with all this drama bullshit right now! I’ve had enough!” He tromped towards the door, but Patrick reached out for his arm.

“Wait a minute! What we were about to do in there, was that all a joke? I thought we were gonna be together!” Patrick finished with a tear rolling down his cheek.

Jerry saw how hurt the man was and tamed his tone. “Baby, I thought you were holding yourself off to be a gentleman! Look, we’re both at fault for what was happening in there, but it’s not the time!” He saw Patrick was angry and upset at the same time and took his free hand. “Look…I’m sorry, alright? Just give me more than a day to figure out what the hell is going on without people trying to break into the house?”

Patrick stared down into the pleading blue eyes and felt his anger dissipate. He was so horny and anxious to get back together with the man, he would’ve done anything. But the situation was far more serious than that at the moment. He kissed the hand. “Deal. Please come back though, we still need to work this out sometime.”

Jerry kissed him quickly. “I promise.” He unlocked the door and yelled through it to the three men outside. “I’m coming out! Don’t shoot!” With a last wink at Patrick, he slid between the door and its jamb. He saw his two friends and his ex-lover, all holding rifles.

Daniel looked relieved and approached him for a hug, which was denied. He scowled at the blond. “What? What is it?”

“Are you kidding me? You come over to his house, sneak through it and then come back with a weapon? You even drag my two friends into this…situation?”

Sid walked over and put his hand on Jerry’s shoulder. “We weren’t planning on doing anything unless he was holding you here against your will, kid. I promise you.”

Jerry looked over at Roger, who nodded. “He’s telling the truth, bud. But things were alright?”

“They were a lot better before Pat and Daniel got into a rumble at one of the restaurants in town and Pat ended up with a fist in his face!” He glared up at Daniel.

“Is he alright?” Roger asked.

“He’s fine, much better. That’s why I’m over here, I was lookin’ after him after you punched his daylights out! He couldn’t exactly drive himself back home. I stayed and took care of things.”

Sid and Roger shot Daniel a look.

Daniel noticed and held out his arms. “What? So sue me! I thought they’d just been sleepin’ together! I had no idea!”

“Oh, bullshit!” Jerry blasted back. “You know I’m in the worst confused state ever! I didn’t sleep with him!”

“Oh really? Not from what I saw!”

“What did you think you saw, Daniel?”

“Don’t turn this back on me! I was right there! You two was in bed together, all cuddled up together…I couldn’t stand it no more! I ran out and drove over to Sid and Roger’s.”

Jerry shook his head. “How did you even get inside?”

“The door was open; guess you two lovebirds forgot to lock it!”

“We were busy! I was bringing Pat in the door, who was still out of it from the wallop you gave his nose!”

“You recuperate from that by getting’ naked together?” Daniel blasted back.

Jerry balled his fists and growled. “Dammit! What you saw was us innocently napping! It’d been a longass day and we was tired! We slept the whole time!”

Daniel looked away; he didn’t want to hear the truth. “Prove it. You got some evidence?”

Jerry gritted his teeth. “Yes, dammit I’ve got evidence! Patrick is my evidence! Pat!” he yelled through the door. “Come on out!”

The redhead surfaced slowly, with the rifle still in-hand. He walked over to Jerry and stood right beside him. “Tell them what we was doing in there before we woke up.”

“We were napping. My nose was throbbing and I was exhausted. I walked back to the bedroom and saw Jerry asleep already. I joined him. Nothing happened!”

Daniel scoffed. “Ha! You’ve wanted him back from day one! You’ve tried to threaten me, bribe me, all to stay away from him! You got your wish, didn’t you? I stayed away!”

Jerry’s eyes filled with rage. “How in the hell are you any better, Daniel? You walked away all on your own, dammit! You didn’t need him to threaten you or any of that, did you? You left me all on your own!” He rushed towards Daniel, but Patrick pulled him back. “Why did you stop me?”

Patrick took Jerry by the back of the neck softly. “Baby, is he really worth it?”

Sid and Roger didn’t know who to comfort and whom to scold. They put their rifles back into the truck and held hands briefly. They were happy they were married and their drama was long since over with.

Sid walked over to Jerry and talked quietly to him. “Jerry, all I have to say is, you know the past. Pat abandoned you once already; what makes you think he’ll stay now? Victor did that to me and I can barely utter his name without wanting to bust into tears! Please..just think about this.”

Jerry nodded. “I know, Sid. I know.”

Sid walked back to the truck and took Roger’s hand again. “I had to warn him. I don’t want anyone to go through what I did.”

Roger kissed his husband’s hand. “I know, hon. I know.”

 

Jerry watched how Daniel looked guilty as sin and that he was near tears. He walked over and brushed the bearded man’s arm. “This ain’t over yet, baby. None of it is.”

Daniel shook his head and walked over to his truck, climbed inside, and shut the door.

Roger walked over to Jerry and took his arm. “Come on, let him be for a while. We need to go talk.” He tugged at his arm and walked him back to their truck and they hopped on the bed.

Patrick was smart and went back inside. Sid joined him to keep an eye on him.

 

Roger and Jerry had a fairly in-depth conversation together. After roughly 10 minutes, the two hopped off the bed of the truck at the same time. Roger walked into the house to join Sid and Patrick, while Jerry walked up to Daniel’s truck and knocked on the door.

“Daniel?”

“What?” the frustrated man asked.

“Can I please join you? Just for a minute?”

Daniel thought it over and opened up the door. Jerry climbed inside and sat next to his once-favorite brunette. He was surprised at how many spent tissues there were all around. It was shocking to him that he could invoke such fiery emotions in other men outside of the bedroom.

“I’m sorry, Daniel.”

The bearded man glanced his way. “It’s my fault, Jer. Not yours. I’ve made a big fat shitpile of things and there’s only one way to fix it.”

Jerry held on for the next sentence with baited breath. “What’s that?”

Their eyes met and Daniel’s lips parted. “I’m leavin’ town.”

“You’re what?” Jerry said with a gasp. “You think that’s the only way to fix this?”

Daniel nodded. He wiped away fresh tears from his eyes before they had a chance to fall. “You don’t need me in your life, Jer. I’m going back to school; maybe I won’t screw up as bad there.”

Jerry fought both tears and anger at the same time. “Abandoned again. Second time in a lifetime. Once was bad enough, but twice?” He shot Daniel a look and before the bearded man could reply; he opened up the door and exited the vehicle.

Daniel scrambled over to the passenger door and rolled down the window to yell out. “Wait a minute! It’s for the best, Jer! I can’t stay here anymore!”

Jerry spun around and yelled back. “You complete ass! You think this’ll solve everything, don’t you? You moron. You don’t know me at all, do you?” He pinched the bridge of his nose for a moment and ran his hands through his hair. “When are you leaving?”

“Two weeks. I’m giving my notice at the store tomorrow.”

“Nice notice. So just when the hell did you decide to do all this, anyway?”

Daniel felt his temper rise. “Hey, don’t put this all on me. I ain’t the one who was in bed with his ex!”

Jerry felt his stomach ache from the yelling. “We didn’t do anything! Dammit, man! Will you ever listen to me?” He picked up a rock from the driveway and tossed it in the distance out of complete frustration. He glared back at the man in the truck. “You know what? Fine. You made your decision, now I’m making mine!”

 

He stomped into the house where all three men looked over at who it was.

Patrick stayed silent; seeing the red-faced blond had bloodshot eyes and an angry face. He didn’t want to wake the temper again.

Jerry didn’t even look at Pat. He focused directly on Sid. He walked up and tapped him on the shoulder.

“Yeah, Jerry?”

“Can I borrow the truck? I need to get outta here.”

Sid and Roger gave each other a look and nodded to one another. The redhead unearthed his keys from his pocket and handed them to the man.

“You alright to drive?” Roger asked.

“I’ll be ok. I just need to get the hell outta here.”

Jerry shot Patrick a look for a moment and started to open his mouth to speak, but shook his head instead.

Sid called after him. “Wait! Where are you headed? If you get in an accident…”

“I’ll be with the one thing that I have some control over right now.” He turned on his heel, climbed into the truck, and left.


CH 14

An hour later, Jerry was out in his sunflower field; admiring the fledgling starts of the stalks that were already a foot high. He could hardly wait to see the first pods of the humongous flowers. He fingered the young plants and tried to push away from his mind all that had just happened over at Patrick’s house.

A nasty memory surfaced, however; of when Daniel brought him a sunflower for their date. He wished he’d not thrown out the gorgeous roses that Patrick had bought him. He put his fingers on his temples and tried to focus on his own; but found it exceedingly difficult. Even those new plants reminded him of the large man that’d fallen for him in less than three dates. Jerry cursed both men’s names silently and walked away from the field and over to the pond at the edge of the property. He angrily pulled out several of the new plants and tossed them to the ground! When he was about to pull another, he stopped and sank to the ground on both knees. and drew his legs up to his chin. He buried his face into them and drew his hair around himself as a curtain surrounding a stage while behind it the water flowed freely down his face.

Thoughts of both men pummeled his mind incessantly. Did he truly love either man? Yes, that much he knew. Patrick had been his first true love and he never got over him; and he knew he never would get over him completely. They were each other’s soulmate and had been very happy together until Patrick left town for college.

Jerry lifted his head for a moment. Maybe that’s why he did it. He had to go or he’d have been stuck in this damn burg forever. Hell, it’s not like he could’ve taken me with him. What was he gonna do, stuff me in his backpack and hide me in his dorm room? He had to do it…and the first thing he did when he was a success was come back for me so we could be together! Holy shit! That’s gotta be it!

He wiped his face and began to stand up when thoughts of Daniel dragged him back down. He could still picture every night they’d had together; the sweet, loving sex they’d shared, the laughs, the dinners. How he’d tried to seduce him right off the bat. But that was all.

Hmm, remember his reaction to me telling him how many people I’d slept with? He about threw up! Patrick felt sorry for me and felt it was all his fault. Daniel was just disgusted…he only saw me for my nice hair and teeth I guess, and my body. That’s all he wanted? Is that really all he ever wanted? He was so pissed when that bill was paid and he insisted on being the one to support us…excuse me! Hello! I’ve got an income too and I want to help out. No…he won’t have it. I’m sure he’s a nice guy for someone else, but not for me. He was a good lay, but nowhere near what Pat and I had. Dammit I need a drink!

A sound caught his attention; a snapping, cracking sound. He popped his head up suddenly. “Wh? What was that? Who’s there?” Jerry snapped free from his position and had to wipe his face free of the tears to even make heads or tails or what or who was standing beside him.

“It’s us, Jerry.”

The blond wiped his eyes quicker, but the visitor was behind the tall grasses that surrounded the pond. The voice drew closer and Jerry could hear the whiff of denim and even some keys jingling. “Daniel? Patrick? Is that you?”

Sid and Roger knelt down and faced the distraught man. “It’s us, Jerry. Your friends.” The couple held out their hands for the man to take, which he did willingly and was helped to his feet. Jerry blinked persistently until his vision returned to normal.

“Guys! Holy shit! How’d you know I’d come back here?” He withdrew his hands, wiped his nose on his sleeve and scooted back from the men.

Roger ruffled Jerry’s hair. “When you said you’d be with the only one you had control over, we knew right where you’d be.”

“Are you alright?” Sid asked with a deep tone of concern.

Jerry shook his head and grabbed at his hair. “This is the shittiest situation I’ve ever been in! If I weren’t recoverin’ from alcohol and drugs, I’d sure as hell start doin’ ‘em now! This is just plumb crazy!”

Jerry saw dirt from the fields on his clothes and brushed it off. He put his hands on his narrow hips. “What the hell am I gonna do now? I ain’t got a home, or a man. At least not one I can decide on.”

Sid and Roger shared a concerned look. “Jerry, you’re our friend and very valuable to us. Your place is a mess; if you want to, stay with us during the winter. We’ll figure something out. Alright?” Sid offered.

Jerry smiled and hugged his friends. “Thanks for the offer, guys. I accept! I have to move out of that shanty before it falls apart completely.” They started to walk back to the house when Jerry stopped suddenly. “Hey, I just happened to think of this. How did you two get back over here? Who drove you?”

Roger’s eyes grew wide. “Umm, we caught a lift.”

“With who?” the blond demanded.

“Uh, Sid? You wanna help me out on this one?”

Sid reached for Jerry’s hand, but was denied. “We got a ride back from Patrick’s house…”

“I know where you come from, but who drove ya?” He thought it over for a moment and glared at the couple. “Oh shit! You mean one of them two is here? Now?”

Roger caught Jerry’s arm. “Hey, listen. Things have been really insane today; can we end the drama here?”

Jerry wrested his arm away. “You’ve gotta be crazy, Roger! Just plumb crazy! I ain’t talkin’ to whoever brought you home. Tell ‘em I got lost in the field or somethin’. I don’t wanna talk to no one!”

A voice beckoned from behind the big tree. “You always were a stubborn one, my dear.”

All three men looked over and saw a tall, devastatingly handsome redhead heading their way.

Jerry retreated a bit. “How did you find me out here?”

Patrick grinned. “I used to live out this way, remember? My folks owned the farm not four plots over. We wanted to own this too, but Mr. Rosen was too stubborn to sell.”

Sid laughed. “My dear dad, rest his soul. Stubborn as a mule.”

Roger patted Sid on the arm. “I think we’d best leave and let this play out.”

Jerry panicked a bit. “No, wait! Don’t go yet…I need your guidance!”

Sid walked over and hugged Jerry quickly. His lips went to the blondes’ ear and whispered into it. “Remember what I said earlier, Jerry.” He let go and stood back.

Roger hugged him as well. He kissed the man’s head and spoke softly. “Go with your heart, my friend. It’s the only true compass. Let’s go inside, Sid.”

The couple joined hands and walked past the waiting redhead. “Thanks for the ride, Patrick.” Sid uttered.

“Anytime.”

 

Patrick walked over to Jerry and saw how puffy his face and eyes were. He cupped his small face. “Baby, I’m so sorry this has gotten so out of control. I know this is really hard and awful on everyone. When I came back into town I had one mission; to get you back, no matter what. I didn’t plan on a Daniel or anyone else to be in my way. I had to make up for what I did to you all those years back.” His lower lip quivered and both men gasped a bit. “Did I succeed at all? Can I ever win you back?”

Jerry didn’t retreat; instead he walked forward. “Pat…I dunno anymore. I’m so up in the damn air right now!” He recoiled a bit and looked back at his friends, who were halfway across the field already.

Patrick wasn’t about to give up. “Jerry…Jer. Come here, please?” He held out his arms wide. The distraught farmer finally let his emotions take hold and he dove into the waiting embrace. Patrick wrapped his arms around the shorter man, holding him as tightly as he could. “Shhh, it’ll all be alright again.”

The blonds’ anger fired again. “Damn well better be! I’m sick to death of all this lyin and fightin! If I’m gonna be with one man he needs to make a fuckin pledge! Sid was right…he warned me about you and our past.”

“What did he tell you?”

“About guys who just abandon ya, no nothin’! He had a lover that left him high and dry before; no words or note, not a damn thing. Like you did to me. It killed himself inside until he met Roger! He told me if you did it once, you’d do it again.”

Patrick let out a sob. “Never! Never again, I swear that to you!”

“How the hell can I be sure? How can I ever know that for absolute gospel truth?”

Patrick held out his hand for Jerry to take. “Come with me, please?”

Jerry took the hand but didn’t move. “Where are we goin’?”

“Wherever you want to. You call the shots.”

The blond raised a brow. “Really? You mean I get a say?”

“Of course you do! Come, I want to talk and tell you the reasons behind why I did everything I did. Alright?”

Jerry looked into the green eyes and knew they were sincere. “Alright. Uh…let’s goto the barn. Sid and Rog are inside the house.”

“Sounds good. Oh, are these your sunflowers?”

“Yeah…they comin’ in nice, huh?”

Patrick nodded. “Yeah they are. You’ll have a bumper crop of them and be able to pay back that hospital bill if that’s what you intend to do.”

Jerry cocked his head and looked at his ex. “I…ain’t gonna do that. I accept your help.”

“Really? Even though Daniel had a meltdown about it?”

“He don’t own me. I’m tired of being pushed around by other folks. I’m makin’ up for all the screwin’ up I done over the years. I wanna start with you.”

Patrick smiled and a happy tear glinted in his eye. “Really? Are you sure?”

Jerry pulled the man over and kissed him quickly. “Damn right. Come on, let’s goto the barn and get to talkin’.”

“Let’s go.”

 

They walked over to the barn, which was a good trek away, about a half-mile. They held hands the entire time and talked about the ranch. Jerry spouted off a litany of features of the property he now had part ownership of. The cattle area with 10 head and growing, the vegetable garden, and of course the tiny house that was finally being expanded.

At last, the two reached the barn. Jerry climbed up atop some of the hay bales; Patrick joined him.

“Ok, we’re in the barn. Why did you leave me?” Jerry asked point-blank.

Patrick ruffled his hair. “Never did beat around the bush. Always loved that about you.” He took a deep breath and coughed. “Ok, here goes. Us being together was the greatest years of my life! I loved you inside and out and wanted to be only with you…”

“Until…”

“Until I took a good look at this town and realized, as my parents did, if I didn’t leave, I’d never get a chance to experience life at all in the way I wanted to. They knew all along I wanted to run my own business and be a huge success. How was I going to do that here? I had nothing! My parents couldn’t help, you knew they were about in the same shape as your friends were.”

Jerry’s eyes widened. “Yikes! That’s bad.”

“Definitely. Well, you know how my folks felt about me and you anyway; they liked you a lot, but things weren’t going to happen for me if I stayed here. So, we flip-flopped on college all summer long, and finally, as a last-minute decision, to send me away.”

“That’s why you left the next day after being with me? You couldn’t have warned me at all?” Jerry crossed his arms in a huff.

“I couldn’t tell you…it was too hard to say goodbye! I couldn’t face you and tell those blue eyes that I was leaving your side for God knows how many years! I couldn’t! I had to just break it off and leave it like that.”

Jerry wagged his head. “Do you know what that did to me? Hell, you never saw it; the rotted teeth, the drinking, the drugs, the sex, all of it. I was so hurt that I didn’t want to love anyone or anything again! You could’ve at least contacted me!”

“What was I going to say?” Patrick shot back. “Hey there, working on a better future, be back when I’m not a failure? Come on. I did what I did to better myself so that when I came back, I prayed you’d find it in your heart to forgive me for what I did. I am sorrier for this than you’ll ever know!” He turned and took Jerry’s arms. “I know it wasn’t right, I know it hurt, it hurt me too! I cried all the way to school and most of the first week there! I had to take tranquilizers to sleep! Dammit, I’m sorry! I’m sorry a million times over!” Tear streamed down his face and he let go to wipe them away.

Jerry watched the man sob and felt his heart pound almost out of his chest. He put his hand on the man’s back and slipped his arm around his waist and pulled himself over. Patrick accepted the move and sobbed into Jerry’s shirt. After a few minutes, they calmed down and separated.

“Shhh…Pat. I forgive you.”

“What? You do?” Patrick replied in true shock.

“Yes. It’s damn hard for me to accept, but I do. I did what I did to myself, but given your reasons I get now why you did what you did. I’m just glad you came back!”

Patrick kissed him lightly. “You weren’t at first. I expected that, to be honest.”

“I’d give anything to have them roses back that you gave me. Them were pretty. I never got flowers like that before.”

“Never? Well…we’ll have to change that. Are we alright? Do you understand?”

Jerry nodded. “Yes, I get it now, baby.”

“So, what’s your plan now for the future? What’re you gonna tell Daniel?”

“I ain’t gonna tell him a damn thing. He made his choices; and I’m makin’ mine right now.”

“What choices…?” Patrick was cut off by a long kiss by Jerry.

“I think you get my meanin’.”

“Vividly. My love…my only love. I’ll tell you one last thing…I never slept with anyone else while I was at college or even after.”

Jerry’s mouth gaped open. “No one? Holy crap! That makes me look like even a bigger slut!”

“Shush…it does not. I focused on working as hard as I could and getting back here as fast as I could. I prayed every night you were alright and healthy and unattached. I didn’t want you to be lonely, but just…unmarried.”

“Pat…are you askin’ me to…”

Patrick took both of his companion’s hands. “Jerry Evans, I pledge I’ll be loyal to you! I’ll never leave your side again if you choose to be with me! Jerry, will you marry me?”

Jerry’s mouth gaped open and he knew the man was dead serious. “You promise you won’t ever leave me again? Swear on a stack of bibles?”

Patrick held up his hand. “I swear it! I hate what I did to you! Please…we can finally make up for all our lost time and stop all the hurting and bruised feelings? I love you more than anything on this earth, baby! What do you say? Live with me? Be by my side in that big, cold house?”

Jerry smiled and threw his arms around the man’s neck. “Alright! Yes, I’ll marry ya’ Patrick O’Leary! I finally get my man!”

They kissed soundly and Jerry smiled. “We’ll make it the big, hot house with what happens in our bedroom, baby.” The duo laughed lightly and kissed again, longer this time.

“Can’t wait to get you home.” Patrick purred into Jerry’s ear.

“We can celebrate right here, baby.” Jerry whispered into his fiancés ear.

“Mmm, sounds good to me.”

They climbed down from the hay bales and threw together a makeshift ‘bed’ in the barn. Patrick kissed Jerry deeply and they held on for a long time.

“I love you so much, Pat. Never stopped.” Jerry breathed as his fingers opened up Patrick’s shirt and exposed the pale, white chest. His lips danced along the red hair that was in a lovely pattern along the white skin.

Jerry unfastened his own shirt and tossed it aside as Patrick dove in to kiss his lover’s neck and chest. The blond hair welcomed him with a light tickle that brought a smile to his lips.

“Love you too, Jerry. Always.”

They kissed again and quickly pulled off their shoes and unzipped their jeans. Jerry clamored to undress quicker so he could assist Patrick. He slipped his fingers inside Patrick’s jeans and pulled them down hastily and whipped them off the body.

“Mmm...” he moaned. Just seeing the redhead nude again and this close was all he ever needed to get his cock as rock-hard as a diamond! He smoothed his hands over the body and ran his fingers through the red stands of hair atop his lover’s head. “You asked me earlier to make love with you; I accept. Always.”

Patrick smiled and held the man’s naked body close to his. He could feel their hard cocks meet and their genitalia answered with a spritz of pre-cum. They smiled and kissed repeatedly, their heads and bodies in a serpentine-like dance of desire.

Jerry laid back on the barn floor, with only his clothing for shielding from the hay. He opened his legs wide and watched as Patrick knelt before him and sank his lips around his member in a very smooth, sweet fashion. He yelped a bit when the suckling began; he remembered how strong the lips were. As Patrick continued, Jerry moved his hips in time with the sound of the suckling and Patrick smiled. He licked the cock from base to tip and kissed it and covered it again just as Jerry came with a loud groan of pleasure to announce its arrival. “Ahhh…baby! Pat…Pat…”

The redhead kissed him quickly. “Are you alright?”

“Never been better in my life. Not ever.”

They kissed and Jerry sat up. They switched to a long embrace. Jerry wrapped his arms and legs around Patrick’s body and held on tight. “I’ll never let you go again. Not ever!”

“I’m never going to leave you again…I swear that on my life!” Patrick assured him.

Jerry sat back and played with the red hair on his fiancé. “I think it’s my turn to make you go through the roof.”

Patrick smiled. “That sounds wonderful to me!” He separated from Jerry and turned away from him, his backside squarely in Jerry’s face.

“Damn fine ass you have…that ain’t changed.” Jerry swatted it playfully and kissed the cheeks.

“Ah! Lots of hours at the gym. I have one at home now too.”

Jerry laughed. “The bedroom’s gonna be our new gym.” He sat up behind Patrick and with a quick spit into his hand, he moistened his lover.

“Saddle up, baby. Just like we did before.”

Jerry smiled. “In your daddy’s barn. I remember all those afternoons after school.” He began to plunge himself into Patrick’s orifice and as he moved, Patrick moved in sync as the penis slowly but surely worked its way inside. Jerry pushed himself in and held on as hard as he could to Patrick’s sides. They grasped hands and supported one another during this peculiar dance.

Finally, after a long bout of pulsing and grinding, Jerry felt his load arrive and hit the target. Patrick let out a moan of pure pleasure as he unleashed a white stream into the hay. They held hands again and as the pulsing ceased and the cock retracted, things finally returned to normal.

Patrick turned around and faced Jerry. They kissed warmly and held on for over a minute. “That was incredible! Just like back in the early days.”

Jerry kissed his lover’s body. “You haven’t changed a bit. Still as hot as ever.”

“Nor have you.” He yawned and picked up his shirt off the floor. “Time for a nap. Enjoy our afterglow.”

“Mmmhmm.” Jerry agreed. He laid his head down on Patrick’s chest and fell asleep almost instantly.

 

An hour later, the two awoke and saw a note was atop one of the hay bales. Jerry picked it up and read it aloud. “Come on inside when you wake up.” Sid and Roger.

“They were in here? Holy cow we were out cold, huh?” Patrick laughed.

“Guess so. Come on, let’s slip this garb back on and go see what they want. We can give ‘em the great news about us getting’ hitched!”

Patrick smiled and they kissed again. He ran his hand over Jerry’s head and fingered his hair. “Deal. I can’t wait to tell them, and my folks! They’ll be so thrilled!”

The two dressed quickly and walked to the house arm-in-arm. Both dogs, Caesar and Sheila, greeted them by the door. The collie, Caesar, bounced up and down with joy at seeing the blond. Sheila, a terrier, yapped loudly with happiness.

Jerry pet both dogs at the same time and hugged them. He looked at Sheila’s paw where she’d been shot months prior. The scar was healed and the fur had grown back over it nicely. He kissed it and looked back at Patrick. “Think we could get a dog?”

“I don’t see why not. We’ll discuss that one later, but first, we have an announcement.”

Sid and Roger perked up. “Oh?” Sid started. “What kind of announcement?”

Patrick and Jerry kissed. “I asked Jerry to marry me and he said yes!”

Roger grinned and hugged his friend right away. “That’s wonderful!”

Sid shot the blond a look. “Are you absolutely sure? You remember what I told you?”

Jerry nodded. “Don’t worry, he ain’t going anywhere. If he even thinks about it, we’re gonna have a showdown!” he finished with a laugh.

In the midst of all the celebration; there was one name left unspoken. Daniel.

“Hey, what about Daniel?” Roger asked at last.

The room fell deathly quiet. Jerry cleared his throat. “He made his choice. It was all or nothing; he’d have to make all the money in order for us to be together. I can’t live with a 90% partnership. Patrick and I are back together and ain’t no one gonna tear us apart again!”

“I hope you’re right.” Sid warned.

Patrick held his fiancé tightly by his side. “He is right. I hope in time I can prove it to you, Sid.”

“Well, you make our pal happy and that’s what counts. So, kiddo, what’d you wanna ask us?”

Jerry smiled. “You two wanna be my best men?”

Sid and Roger laughed. “Both of us?” Roger asked.

“Yup! Hey, I’m far from the usual groom; why have the usual wedding party?”

“Sounds good to me! We accept!” Sid replied.

There were hugs all around as congratulations were exchanged between all four men. Even the dogs insisted on a piece of the affections and were rewarded with hugs, kisses, and treats!

All four men dined together that evening and spoke of wedding plans and the future harvests. Finally, at 8 p.m. the two left for Jerry’s house to pack up the clothing that he had, any bathroom items he needed, and let the rest wait until the next day.

The returned to Patrick’s house and Jerry unpacked what few items he had into the master bathroom and walk-in-closet. They joined hands again and kissed.

“To my fiancé, thank you so much for taking me back into your life, Jerry. I won’t let you down, I promise.”

“It was a bit of doin’ for me, but I never did stop loving ya, Pat. I know we’re gonna last forever.”

They kissed again and turned down the sheets. They disrobed and after a lengthy series of kisses, felt their fatigue kick in and fell asleep in each other’s arms.

The pain of the past was done; now was truly a happy ending for what Patrick called “Jerry’s season.”


 

Epilogue

The Christmastime wedding was the talk of the town. Patrick’s folks, who still lived nearby, met Jerry again and approved wholeheartedly with the union.

Since Jerry asked both Sid and Roger to be in the wedding; but Patrick had no attendant, he asked Sid to stand up for him. The redhead rancher heartily agreed.

The stage was set. Brilliant red and white poinsettias lined the aisle as the couple worked their way to the center of the town hall. The mayor himself was going to join them in civil union.

Jerry had changed slightly; his hair was a bit shorter, and tied back in a ponytail and the hair had been flat-ironed to make it straight and shiny.

Patrick trimmed his red locks to just above the ear for two reasons; to clean up his appearance and so he wouldn’t match his best man, Sid.

All four men wore tuxedos. The grooms were in white jackets with black pants with red rose boutonnières, while Sid and Roger wore all black with white carnation boutonnières.

The ceremony was beautiful and sweet as the two men pledged their love and lives to each other.

“I, Patrick William O’Leary, take you, Jerry Peter Evans to be my husband. I have loved and will love you always. My life is complete only with you by my side. I know I cannot erase the past; but I can make our future beautiful.”

Jerry smiled and winked at his groom. “I, Jerry Peter Evans, take you, Patrick William O’Leary to by my husband. I didn’t know if I could ever love again, but I never stopped loving you. I know we had our bad times, but our future is bright and we’re gonna be so good together! Just like old times!”

They smiled at one another and gripped each other’s hands. They exchanged rings; both were pure 14-carat gold with small diamonds in circle around the center. The mayor announced them as married and on cue, Jerry hopped up into Patrick’s waiting arms and they kissed passionately. Sid and Roger looked on happily as they remembered their own ceremony.

The reception was held at the couple’s house. As people milled about the large house and into the basement where a dance area was setup; the doorbell rang.

Jerry went to get it. It was Daniel. “Hey, good to see you.”

The new friends hugged briefly. The college student had a present tucked under his arm. “Good to be here. I’m glad you invited me.”

“It wouldn’t be right if we didn’t. We worked all that crap out and we’re buds now, right?”

“Absolutely. You look real nice, by the way. Hey, where’s your other half?”

Jerry looked around behind him. “Thanks! Had to clean up again for my own wedding. Pat’s probably in the basement giving the DJ a hard time.” he said with a laugh. “Come on in, it’s freezing cold out there.”

Daniel rubbed his arms. “Yeah it is, but it’s Christmastime and all. Merry Christmas, by the way.”

“Thanks! I honestly wasn’t sure if you’d come or not, but I’m glad you did. Come on, let’s go eat.” He pulled the man by his sleeve and they walked downstairs.

 

The music could be heard through the stairwell as they descended down into the party area. Daniel got a few odd looks by those that didn’t know of their arrangement of friendship. They shrugged it off and continued on.

“Pat! Honey! Look who’s here!” Jerry shouted over the music.

Patrick turned around and held out his hand for Daniel to shake. “Daniel. Good to see you.”

Daniel shook the hand willingly. “Thank you. Good to be here. School’s a killer!”

Jerry laughed. “I bet! But you’re smart, you can handle it. Oh, you can put the gift right on that table over there.” He pointed to a corner by the bar.

“Will do.” He walked over to the bar and set the gift down. He fingered some of the tags just to be nosy. He looked around and saw Sid and Roger and waved hello. For now though, he wanted a drink. He walked up to the bar and saw the smoking hot bartender. He was as tall as Daniel, but thinner. His hair was jet black and he looked to have a Latin background. He glanced at the name tag. “Jose.”

“What can I get for you, sir?” he asked. His voice was as intoxicating as his looks. Deep brown eyes, wide face, sexy voice.

I’ll take one tall glass of you right here, right now. Daniel thought to himself. “I’ll take a cold draft. Thanks.”

Jose opened up a bottled beer and handed it to him. Their fingers touched briefly as he took the beverage. Four more customers walked up and Daniel stepped aside and waited for them to be finished.

Daniel watched the man all evening, through the toasts, the food, the cake. Everything. He watched Jerry and Patrick have their first dance, and even a dollar dance where Daniel worked up the courage to go and dance with Jerry and even Patrick.

Finally, the hour grew late. All of the guests left; which left only the grooms and Daniel. He helped clean up the basement from the festivities. He caught Jose’s eye again. “Want some help?”

Jose smiled at him with his gleaming white teeth. “Could you open the door for me?”

Daniel nodded and smiled back. “Be happy to.” He assisted the bartender and as he loaded his equipment into his car, the two chatted back and forth. Finally, everything was loaded. The two walked back inside but it was clear they wanted their conversation to continue.

Jerry and Patrick made a final sweep and thanked all the help. He walked over to Daniel. “Thank you for coming. I trust you had a good time?”

Jose looked over just as he asked that and Daniel nodded. “Very good time, thanks.”

Patrick noticed the flirting with the bartender. “He’s a hottie, isn’t he? Go get ‘im, Daniel.”

Daniel raised a brow and laughed. “Thanks. I think I will. See you guys later. Happy marriage!” He bent over and hugged Jerry goodbye and shook Patrick’s hand.

“Thank you, Daniel. We’ll talk again soon. Let us know if things work out.”

“I sure will. Good night!”

 

He exited the house and saw Jose leaning on his car, a mustang. Daniel always had a thing for cars, especially sports cars. He walked over and stood right across from the Latino, leaning on his own car.

“Damn cold out here.” Daniel started.

“That it is. Much warmer at my place.” Jose said with a smile.

“I bet it is; though I ain’t looking for a one-nighter.”

Jose walked over and put his arms around Daniel’s neck. “Neither am I, but it’s still nice to cocoon yourself inside a stranger’s arms sometimes, just sleeping.”

Daniel put his arms around Jose’s waist and held him close. He could feel how strong and built the man was and it turned him on! “Sleeping is good; after a long winter’s chat.”

They laughed and their faces moved in closer and they shared a sweet, dry kiss and hugged for a long moment.

“How did you know the groom? Or the other groom?” Jose asked.

“Let’s talk about that over at your place.” Daniel said, his mouth positioned for another kiss.

Jose took the lips that were offered and held onto them longer this time. “Sounds good to me. Just follow my mustang home.”

“On my way.” With a final look over his shoulder, he saw Jerry at the window, spying on them. He gave him a ‘thumbs-up’ sign, got into his car, and followed Jose home.


 

About the Author:

 

Stephanie Danielson has been writing since she could hold a pen. Early works included a strong central character and evolved into entire villages. Alternative works began in her teens and she has never looked back once. She lives in the Midwest with her husband and two cats.

 

Also by S. L. Danielson:

Ranch Hands

For the Heart of Phillip

Lust in London

Love by the Numbers

Life After Math

Bernard; Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop

 

Email me at: ladyauthorsld@gmail.com

 

Find her on blogger: www.ladyauthorsld.blogspot.com

This is the 1st version; the original. If you read the 1st book, you know who these guys are already...if not a quick rundown. Sid and Roger met 2 years ago; a broke farmer and a guy fleeing an abusive relationship. they got together and married and now live happily on their farm. Jerry is the town whore more or less, druggie, etc, and loves to fight and even more loves to sleep around. But there's a reason behind all of it for sure.
His endearing quality is he saved the life of Roger's dog and they all became friends. This book picks things up 6 months after Ranch Hands ends.
2012 S.L. Danielson
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Daniel wanted Jerry, wanted to provide for him and basically make all the decisions. At least it sounded that way. Daniel was the one who left because he couldn´t understand Jerry wanting to have an equal partner. Jerry and Daniel wouldn´t have lasted for long if they had stayed together. I didn´t like Patrick at first, but he turned out to be a lovely guy. I think Jerry made the right decision, Patrick is the better option for him. Hopefully they´ll have a wonderful life together.

Link to comment
On 05/01/2014 05:00 AM, Suvitar said:
Daniel wanted Jerry, wanted to provide for him and basically make all the decisions. At least it sounded that way. Daniel was the one who left because he couldn´t understand Jerry wanting to have an equal partner. Jerry and Daniel wouldn´t have lasted for long if they had stayed together. I didn´t like Patrick at first, but he turned out to be a lovely guy. I think Jerry made the right decision, Patrick is the better option for him. Hopefully they´ll have a wonderful life together.
Thank you! I liked this version esp with how Patrick flipped sides per se; and Daniel was a bit possessive/controlling...Jerry needs structure; but not a dictator. Thank you again for your feedback!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..