Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ranch Hands Two: Jerry's Season - 2. Chapter 2

This is the re-written version, and the one that went to publication....

Ranch Hands II:

 

Jerry’s Season

 

 

S. L. Danielson

 


 

 

Chapter One

“Weeds and more weeds. Damn! Guess we need some weed control for this veggie garden after all,” Jerry grumbled as he extracted no fewer than nine small sprigs from the base of the tomato vines. He sat back on his haunches and cleared his sweaty forehead. His jeans were covered in mud, as were his work boots. The sleeves of his red checked shirt were rolled up, his tan forearms slick with sweat from his labors. His long, blond hair was cinched into a ponytail that insisted on falling forward at the worst possible moments, so it had been doubled up into a tighter arrangement. He let out a breath and glanced skyward; his eyes matched the cloudless beauty of the lovely early June day. He stood and stretched his short frame.

A voice interrupted his break. “Hey. You all done with the garden?”

It was Roger’s voice. That kind, gentle tone from the first man he actually considered to be his best friend. Roger wasn’t tall, but average in height. He had black, curly hair and a thick beard to match. His skin was still pale, despite all of his time outdoors. The thing that struck Jerry the most was his eyes—they were gray, like a silver wolf’s coat. This man, whom he’d met almost a year-and-a-half ago, had become quite dear to Jerry, as had Roger’s husband and partner, Sid. He’d saved Roger from an ex-boyfriend with a violent streak just in the nick of time. It was the best thing he’d ever done, as it had endeared Jerry to the couple.

Jerry shook his head and realized he hadn’t answered. “Oh, uh no. Not yet. I think my hunger’s slowing me down.” He reached down and brushed off what mud he could from his jeans and boots.

Roger laughed and put an arm around his shoulders. “Come on, let’s go fetch my hubby and go into town for some lunch. It’s past noon already.”

“Sounds great to me.”

A tall, strapping redhead appeared from around the corner of the barn and walked briskly towards them. Jerry grinned as he watched Sid approach. He looked so strong and masculine, yet his gruff appearance belied the tender emotions that Jerry knew were tucked away, belonging only to his husband, his dog Caesar, and, of course, his friends. He felt very fortunate to be among the last group.

“Come on boys, let’s go get some chow.”

“Sounds great to me,” Jerry replied, rubbing his stomach.

* * * *

They walked into the diner and said hello to all the regulars. It felt good to be accepted, to at last be on a friendly basis with everyone in this small Kansas town. The trio selected a booth right by the window, one that faced the street. Passers-by could look in, and they could look out. Some stopped and glanced through the window, then either waved or made a face. Once all three men were handed menus, they studied them carefully.

Roger shook his head at his husband. “How long have you been eating here?” He teased. “Has much ever changed on that menu?”

“Enough to keep me coming back here.” He glanced up at Jerry. “How about you, Junior? What’s looks good?”

Jerry stifled a laugh. He loved the new nickname Sid had given him. It beat the old one of “dickwad” hands down. He drummed his cheek with his fingertips. “Maybe… I dunno… one of them wraps?”

The couple nearly gasped. “A wrap? Good heavens, this place is going Fifth Avenue on us,” Sid said with a pretend snarl.

“Well, I like ‘em,” Jerry insisted. “They’re a lot easier to chew.”

“I bet.”

The waitress, Melba, walked up to the table. She was a portly older woman with gray hair, the strands twisted into a strange beehive hairdo. Her mint green uniform matched her eye shadow; they accented her dark hazel eyes. She had her order pad ready.

“What’ll it be, boys?” she asked in a smoky voice.

Sid glanced down at the menu once more. “I’ll have the pulled pork sandwich.”

She turned to Roger. “Sir?”

“I’ll have the Reuben.”

“And how about you?”

Jerry pointed to his selection. “I’ll have the turkey wrap.”

She quickly scribbled down their order. Roger caught her eye. “I’ve never tried the Reuben here before, is it good?”

Melba grinned, cracking her bright pink lipstick which was pasted on far too thick. “It’s terrific, honey. Got some fresh ‘kraut in today.” She paused. “Anything to drink?”

Sid picked up his empty water glass. “One more of these, please.”

Before she could ask, Roger uttered, “Iced tea.”

“Iced tea as well,” Jerry echoed.

She scribbled down the rest of the order and took the menus. “Be back in a jiff.”

As she walked away, Jerry noticed she stopped and looked back at them with not quite a sneer, but more of a ‘whatever’ look. He supposed she didn’t like coming to their table for some reason. He took a sip of his water and swished it in his mouth. “Some things never change.”

“What’re you talking about, kiddo?” Roger asked.

“Eh. The look she was giving us, or maybe just me. I’m not exactly liked in this burg.”

Sid scowled at him. “Now how can you say that? It was big news you saving Rog’s life. You’d think people would come around after that.”

“I guess.” He picked at a blister on his finger until Roger grabbed his hand and stopped him.

“Don’t do that, you’ll make it worse,” he chided.

“Damn, you’re like a mother hen, both of you are,” he joked. “I like it though, makes me feel looked after.”

Sid and Roger smiled at each other and then back at their friend.

“Isn’t that what you asked us to do? To help you revamp your image?” Sid asked matter-of-factly.

Melba brought their drinks and set them down in front of the proper owners, then walked away again. Jerry took a large sip of his tea and ran his fingers through the condensation on the glass.

“I want folks to think I’m a good guy, but I think some people will always remember how I was, and that won’t change, no matter what.”

Roger patted his hand. “You ever stop and think that maybe it’s not you at all? Maybe it’s Sid and me? We’ve turned this hickville upside down being the first gay couple, much less being married. Don’t turn it into something sinister, Jerry.”

“I’m not… at least I’m trying not to.” He took a long sip off his water. “Hope that wrap’s easy to chew. These new teeth take some adjusting to.”

“How are they?” Sid asked.

Jerry shrugged. “Not sure. I’m eating, but not a whole lot. Eggs are easy, but this is the first sandwich I’ve tried in a couple of weeks.”

Roger cocked his head thoughtfully. “You’ll be fine. My parents both have them. They take getting used to, but you’ll be fine.” He glanced at his husband. “Hey, can I scoot out for a second? Need to run down the hall.”

Sid stood up and helped Roger out. “Come back soon, baby.” He accented his last sentence with a wink.

“You know it, partner.” Roger walked down the hallway to the restrooms.

Sid turned back to his friend. “I’m such a lucky guy. So, about you… you got a long time left to heal?”

Jerry nodded. “Yup, see this?” He held out the waistband on his blue jeans nearly a full inch. “Lost some weight because I couldn’t eat. As for healing time, he said about six months. He’s such a good dentist. He tried to be all nice and not gag when I opened my mouth. I was really nervous about all of this, but I’m happy as hell I did it. I really owe you guys a lot of money by now.”

Sid smiled. “Don’t you worry about that at all. You saved Roger’s life! It was absolute fate the way you were there in the nick of time when that bastard Quinn was about to kill him! That’s worth a lot more to us than a few bucks to get your teeth worked on.”

“A few bucks?” Jerry squawked. “That surgery was a thousand, and another grand for the teeth.”

Sid laughed. He reached out and tousled the young man’s hair. “Don’t worry about it. We have the funds now! Quit it and just accept the gift.”

Jerry smiled. “Thanks. It wasn’t too long ago you wanted to take my teeth out for me—with your fist!”

Sid shook his head. “Was more than happy to do that too, but you straightened yourself out. The day you saved my man, I knew we’d both always remember that. You showed your true character.”

Jerry smiled and felt his tanned cheeks blush. He fanned his face. “Aw shit, Sid. You’re making me all red. I’m just glad I was there at the right time and that I saw Caesar run out to the road. I knew something was wrong. That dog never leaves the property unless there’s real trouble.” The two exchanged a stiff hug and pulled back from each other.

Roger returned, smiling at both men. He approached Sid and hugged him briefly, but firmly. “Mmm, how’s my favorite husband?”

“Just missin’ you, and talking with Jerry.” Sid held Roger close, brushed his black, curly hair away from his face, and whispered something into his ear.

Jerry blushed as he watched the two together. They seemed to move in sync with every motion and word. He looked away and whipped out a fresh cigarette and lit it. His blue eyes scanned the counter for something to capture his attention while the newlyweds occupied themselves. His hair would do. It was matted and dirty, but he liked it that way; it made him feel like a farmer. Finally, the duo broke away from each other and turned their attention back to their friend.

“Sorry about that, just…”Roger began.

Jerry held up his hand. “It’s alright, no need to explain yourselves. You two are in love and happy. It shows plain as day on your faces. Sid, I think your red hair hides your blushing even better now.”

Roger looked at his husband and winked at him. “He’s a shy one, this one. Hey, after we eat we’re heading over to the feed store. We set aside that back thirty acres for you to plant whatever you want. Wanna come with?”

Jerry felt a wave of gratitude wash over him. A year ago, both of these men would’ve been more than happy to send him into a wall. Now they’d do anything to keep him happy and thriving. It was quite the switch for him. He finally nodded. “Wow, I haven’t had my own crop in a long time. I’m really happy being on the farm with you guys.”

Sid poked him lightly in the shoulder. “Wish you could live with us too, but we’d have to build another house. The one we’re in’s too small even for just the two of us! We know the three of us’ll work damn hard on it to make us a big success. Especially if we all work as hard as you do. You’re a damn good farmer, Jerry Evans.”

The fresh smile made another appearance and he hid his blush. “You guys have really been a help—turning a nothing joke like me with a drug and smoking problem into someone actually respectable. Damn, I got a smoke out again, didn’t I? Damn bad habit!” He looked down at the lit cigarette in his hand before he extinguished it in the ashtray; his friends grinned at him. He looked back up at them and sighed. “I thought things were done for after I got my truck repossessed. Rog, I can’t thank you enough for taxiing me around town.”

“Anytime, Jerry.”

Jerry sat back and let out a breath. “Now, I just need to find me a worthwhile guy, a decent place to live, and get me another truck, and I’ll be all set.”

Roger reached over and hugged him. “One thing at a time. I owe you my life for saving me from my ex. That’s all that matters.”

Jerry’s express grew serious. “I just hope I don’t let you two down.”

Sid clapped his hand down on Jerry’s hand. “Don’t worry—you won’t have time to let us down. Come on, after lunch we’ll head over.” Just as he spoke, Melba arrived with their meals.

“Thank you.” Jerry sighed as he looked at his selection. “No more protein shakes. Bleah! At least this place’s cookin’ is good!”

After they finished eating, they all piled into Roger’s pickup truck and headed down the street to the farming goods store.


 

Chapter Two

Worthington Farm Supply. The name on the huge wooden sign that’d hung there for close to a century. The once bright hues of crimson and gold had faded to shades that were a mere suggestion of their former glory. It’d always sat on the same corner for its entire existence, at Third and Pine. The store wasn’t too crowded this day; the parking lot was about half-full. The three men pulled up in the truck and exited. Jerry first, then Sid helped Roger out. They held hands for a brief moment, but let go when they saw others in the lot. Jerry fell in beside his friends.

He twisted his lip. “Tsk, it’s a shame you guys have to hide how happy you are. You can’t hold hands or anything.”

Roger bowed his head. “Yeah, but we respect that not everyone wants to see that. Hell, I know they don’t wanna see a boy and girl holdin’ hands sometimes.”

“True enough.” Sid nodded.

The trio walked into the store and were greeted by the smells and sounds of the farm life. The well-worn wooden floor creaked to announce the men’s arrival. The loud cow bell on the glass door clanged its alarm to the employees that someone new had entered. The three stood with their arms crossed, taking in the sights. The pungent scents would overwhelm any city slicker; but for these three, it was like aromatherapy. The chemicals, the seeds, even the metal tools—all were a visual and olfactory delight.

Sid and Roger nodded to each other and headed right for the pre-treat herbicides.

“We’ll be over there, Jerry,” Roger informed him.

“Cool, I’ll be over this way.”

They headed in opposite directions. Jerry wandered off by himself and looked at large skids of seed bags of every description. Would it be soy? Corn? Wheat? Maybe something exotic, like peanuts? His focus was interrupted by the shadow of a large man hovering over him. Jerry turned his head quickly. He had to look up at the man who’d broken his concentration and blocked the light.

“Excuse me, can I help you with anything, sir?” The voice boomed.

Jerry found himself rendered speechless for a moment as he drank in the sight of the giant before him. At his low vantage point, a six foot man was tall, but this man was even taller than that. His shoulders were broad enough to belong to a football player, his arms were bigger around than his head, and his very handsome face sported a light beard along a chiseled jaw line. His eyes were dark brown, as was his short hair. The red apron he wore strained to reach around his muscles and his jeans—a fact which Jerry took silent note of. He squinted to see the man’s name tag. “Derek”. It was almost too short to define this gorgeous giant. Yet he looked familiar.

“Do I know you?” Jerry stammered.

Derek smiled down at his customer. Their eyes met for a moment. “Maybe,” he answered cryptically. “Can I help you select some seeds for your farm?”

Seeds? Oh yeah! Forgot all about those for a moment. “Uh, yes, actually,” Jerry said happily, now that he’d found his vocal chords again. “I wanna plant something new that’ll get me and my partners a good price.”

Derek raised a brow. “Partners? You mean business partners?” the clerk asked with genuine interest.

Jerry nodded. “Yeah, purely business. It’s them two over yonder.” He looked around and spotted Sid and Roger loading up a shopping cart. “Guys!” he bellowed. “Get on over here for a sec.”

Sid and Roger pushed their cart over to where their friend was and seemed taken aback by the tall, handsome man themselves. Sid looked down at Jerry and put his arm on his shoulder. “What is it, Jerry?”

Jerry felt on display suddenly and his shyness came back. He shifted his feet and cleared his throat. He caught his hair and began to twirl it to alleviate his nerves. “Uh, this is Derek, he works here. He’s helping me decide what to plant so we can all turn a profit this year. He wanted to meet my partners.”

Roger smirked. “Quit playin’ with your hair, Jer,” he commented.

Jerry quickly dropped his hand. “Meet Sid Rosen, and Roger Laramie.”

Derek outstretched his large hand and shook each man’s open palm. He had a strong grip, as was evident by their reactions. “Nice to meet you both.” He turned to Jerry and gave him a smile. “Wow, I’m surprised you don’t remember me. 'Course, you blacked out a lot in those days.”

Jerry knitted his brows in confusion until reality dawned on him. His eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped open. “Derek? From high school? Dude! How’s it going, man? Didn’t recognize you all grown up.” He swatted the clerk’s arm, though he doubted he even felt it.

“I’m good, thanks! Just got this gig here a couple of weeks ago, after I found out how much the fast food business sucks. I’d rather be around farm stuff, something I know.”

“I hear that one,” Jerry agreed. “We need to catch up sometime. You can tell me what’s been going on since what… six years, is it?”

Derek nodded. “Yup. Back to those glory days of high school. Football, girls, the good life.”

Roger cleared his throat and nudged Jerry. “Hey, did you want to brainstorm over what you what to plant? We’ve kept those last ten acres open just for you. We already did those sunflowers you suggested, and they’re turning out great.”

Sid rubbed his pointy chin and interjected his suggestion. “Hmm, how about something different, like rye? We could do some home brewin’ and sell it as S & R home mix.”

Jerry shook his head. “I was thinking something a little less… boozey. You guys mind a pumpkin patch? We could sell them or make tons of pies. Or both.”

“Well, sure, I don’t see why not. ”

“Really? Thanks, guys!”

Derek never missed a beat. “We’ve got pumpkin seeds right back here. Let me show you.” He steered Jerry by the shoulder with his sizeable hand and the two walked together to the back wall. He pulled down a 10-lb bag of seed and held it out to him. ”

“Gotcha.” He looked curiously at the bag. “This enough for ten acres?”

Derek laughed. “Oh, that’s just the first bag. You’ll need two more.”

Jerry laughed. “I guess you think I’m a lil stronger than I look. You got a cart?”

Sid and Roger walked their cart back, but it was almost full. Derek shook his head and groaned. “Always bailing you out, Evans,” he said half-jokingly. “It’s no problem at all. I can carry them for you. Are you done shopping?”

Jerry glanced at his friends, who nodded. “Yup, all finished. I think they had more than I did though.”

Derek checked the chemical label on the back of the sacks. “You’ll need a ph of 6.5 at least. You’ll need to pick up some nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate too.” Derek piled the bags up on the counter. Jerry enjoyed the view; he loved watching Derek’s muscles bulge as he handled the merchandise. “All set?”

Jerry nodded. “You still look like you’re playing football, haven’t lost those muscles yet. Guess working here gives you a work-out, huh?”

“Oh yeah. That’s one more thing I prefer to fast food so far.” Sid and Roger walked towards the front of the store, their cart straining under the weight of several canisters of herbicide.

“We need to schedule a delivery too, Derek,” Roger informed him.

Sid agreed. “What we need will take a lot more than one strapping young lad like you to carry for us,” he quipped. “Derek, we need to order enough of this for a hundred fifty acres. Or a hundred eighty if his pumpkins need something special.”

Derek rubbed his wooly chin. “Hmm, I’d have to ask the owner on that. I’m not sure about the pumpkins.” He looked over his shoulder and into the open office. “I see my boss at his desk now. Mr. Baker?” he asked in a raised voice.

“Yes, Derek, what is it?”

“Sir, these gentlemen are buying herbicide for their corn, soy, and wheat, but I’m not sure if the same chemicals can be used on pumpkins .”

Jerry heard the scrape of wood on wood, and moments later, a kindly looking older man appeared. He took off his ancient spectacles and shuffled over to his reference books, near where they stood. “Pumpkins, you say? Let’s see. What brand do you have?”

Derek flipped over a bag for him and held it closer so the old man could see. “Growrite, 6.5 ph strength.”

Derek’s boss put a finger to his non-existent lips and shut one eye deep in thought. He ran his fingers along the book spines before pulling out a large manual. He flipped through the pages and held out his glasses to see. “Let’s see, Growrite, Growrite, ah, here it is. No, you can’t use it on those… You need potassium, nitrogen, and phosphate.”

“Thanks, sir!” Derek back to his customers. “Looks like you’re set.”

Sid opened his wallet and unearthed his debit card. “It feels so good to pay for things without a credit line or adding to a debt anymore,” he commented to his companions.

Derek closed out the transaction and pulled out the delivery roster. “When’s a good time to come by?”

“Uh, day after tomorrow? We’re almost ready. Jerry, you coming home with us or headin’ back to your place?”

Jerry looked Derek up and down again and twisted his rosy lips in thought. “I might hang out in town tonight, not sure.”

Roger grinned at him. “You give us a call and we’ll pick you up, how’s that?”

“That works for me. See you two later.”

“Bye. Thanks, Derek.”

“Anytime.” The two pushed their cart out to the truck and loaded up their cargo. They pulled away and drove back down the road.

Jerry turned his attention back to the clerk, but was interrupted by Mr. Baker, who’d shuffled out of his office again.

“Derek, I’m goin’ over to the bank. I’ll be back in a while. Mind the store for me, will ya, lad?”

“Sure thing, Mr. Baker.”

The old man hobbled out the door and slowly made his way across the quiet street and out of sight. Jerry smiled and looked up at the handsome man again.

Derek leaned back on the counter. “Your friends seem like good guys.”

Jerry nodded. “Yeah, they are. I didn’t used to think so, but there’s a long tale behind that. Hell, a year ago you wouldn’t have caught me dead with them. But of course, you know how I was a year ago. Hell, six years ago.”

Derek nodded and inched closer. “I’ve watched it all happen. Still can’t believe you’re the same kid I knew back then. I’m glad to see you’re off the drugs and everything, but it seems kinda sudden to me. Dude, what happened to change their minds about you? If you don’t mind me askin’.”

Jerry sighed. “Well, things were real rough, and I told them I was sick of being the town joke. They only talked to me because I saved Roger’s life.”

“That’s right!” Derek snapped his fingers. “I remember reading about that in the paper.” He slapped Jerry on the shoulder. “Damn good job with that. Didn’t think you had it in you to be a genuine hero.” He retracted his hand, but put it right back. “Err… well…. I mean… in high school you could’ve, but then everything changed.”

“Yeah, for the worse,” Jerry lamented. “We haven’t talked in ages, Derek. At least where I’d remember any of the conversation, that is.”

The clerk straightened his posture and looked into Jerry’s eyes. “Time to change that. You’re a good guy again, or at least you’re on that path. Could you stand one more friend in your life again?”

Jerry’s mouth gaped open momentarily. “A-Are you sure? You know a lot about me from back in the day… when things got really fucked up.”

“I also know you now, and I’ve watched you over the years. You seem a lot stronger now. How long you been sober?”

“Damn near three months already. They have me working on their ranch. I don’t get any time to really drink or wallow in my misery anymore. Withdrawal was damn hard, but they made me bale hay to get over it.” They laughed together.

Derek plucked at his apron. “Hey, speaking of those two you were with, are they… ya know… together? I know Sid, and the other guy looks familiar too.”

Jerry nodded. “Sid and Roger? Uh, yeah, they are. In fact they’re married. Is that a problem? I don’t think most people in town are real keen on the idea. You know I’m gay, right? At least mostly.”

He slapped his friend’s arm. “I know it. I never really had a problem with it. You seemed really happy with your guy and I had my girl. Oh!” He snapped his fingers. “I’m getting married next year. How cool is that?”

Jerry patted his arm. “That’s great, Derek! Is it the same girl you dated back then?”

“The very same. Miss Emily Dawson will become Mrs. Derek Munson.”

“That’s great!” He side-hugged his old friend in congratulations. “I doubt I’ll ever do that kind of walk down the aisle.”

“Oh, come on now. You never know. I thought for sure you and that guy of yours were gonna shack up together and live happily ever after.”

Jerry shook his head sadly. “Nope. I guess that wasn’t meant to be.”

“What happened with that? One day you guys were happy and the next you were passed out behind the liquor store. I remember, I found you in the alley. The cops took you away and I never saw Patrick again after that night.”

Jerry shook his head. “Whatever went wrong with Pat and me was my fault. I wish I could find him and apologize…”

Derek laughed. “Dude, come on. How hard can that be? You can find anyone nowadays, what with the Internet. Plus, you know his parents still live around here. Maybe you could…”

“No,” Jerry answered quickly.

Derek scowled. “Why not? You just said….”

“Because I hurt him enough for one lifetime,” Jerry snapped back. “He’s better off if I don’t seek him out.” He shut his eyes briefly and let out a sigh. “Look, let’s talk about something else.”

After a moment of observing his friend, Derek nodded. “Well, how about this? I get off work in a few hours. How about we head back over to the diner and catch up over some dinner? I’ll buy if you’re short on cash.”

“Uh, let me check.” He pulled out his wallet and peeked into it. He saw a solitary $20 bill inside. “I’m good with buying my own. But thanks anyway.”

Derek laughed. “Anytime, ‘ol buddy. It’s good to see you again, standing up and sober this time. Clean as a whistle too, I hope.”

“Oh yeah, gave up the drugs too. They did my teeth in for sure, so I’m done with those forever.”

A few customers walked into the store and Derek stepped away and manned his station again. “Tell me all about it over dinner.” He turned to the new people in the store and greeted them. Jerry caught his friend’s attention once more.

“I’ll call them up to come get me. I’ll see you tonight, at what, 5 o’clock?”

“Sounds good. See you there, Jerry.”

“See ya.” He walked out the door and crossed the street to the main part of town. After a quick stop to the drugstore, he called Sid and waited to be picked up.


 

Chapter Three

The two men met up at the diner later that night. Jerry had tried out his new powdered adhesive for his teeth, and so far it was working fine. He dressed up a bit for his old friend—newer jeans, a fresh shirt in a hue of emerald green, shined-up cowboy boots, and he tied his hair in a long braid that trailed down his back. He nixed the cowboy hat for the evening.

Derek walked in right on time and they looked for a booth where they could face each other and talk.

“Long time no see,” Jerry quipped.

“Yeah, it’s been ages, hasn’t it?” Derek laughed. They sat down in a booth they found near the back of the diner.

The waitress, Wilma, walked over and handed them menus and glasses of water.

Jerry looked over the dinner menu. “Let’s see, how adventurous do I feel with these things?” he mused.

Derek shot him a look. “What things?”

“Oh! Shit, didn’t tell you. The drugs ravaged my teeth so bad they had to be replaced. End of story on that one. I can eat alright, no worries there. Gaining weight from eating and growing muscles.” He eyed his friend’s arms. “Nothing like yours though. You started in what, junior high?”

“Thereabouts. Spent hours and hours on it. The girls sure loved it, and of course, that was my ultimate goal too. Then I met Emily and it all fell into place.”

Wilma came back, her pencil ready. “What can I get you boys?”

Derek pointed to his selection in the menu. “I’ll have the roast beef sandwich.”

“Alright, and you?” She looked over at Jerry.

“I’ll have… the spaghetti.”

The waitress wrote down the orders. “Anything to drink?”

“Just the water for me. Derek?”

“Same here. Thanks.”

Wilma nodded and walked away.

Derek took a sip of his water and cocked his head. “So, tell me how the party boy Jerry Evans changed his image at last.”

Jerry chuckled. “I think party boy is way too light to describe me. More like heavy duty drug addict and booze hound. Got into fist fights all the time at the tavern. No reason for it, just liked to fight.”

“Geez. So how did you turn this all around? I read the story, but I’d like to know what made you human again.”

“I don’t know what it was, to be honest, but something about them two guys made me want to change. I liked Roger, he seemed like a good guy. Sid’s gruff, but he’s decent too.” He took a sip of water. “It sucked to be their enemy when there was no reason for it anymore. The bottom line is, I saved Roger’s life and they were grateful and I was damn happy I did it. They made me their best man at their wedding. I asked them to help me not be the laughing stock of the town anymore. I told them I wanted to find what they have. Real love. Well… find it again.” He took a large gulp of water and his memory spun back to the momentous occasion. “Damn, that was a nice day. They had the wedding in their barn, and I gave a speech and everything! Roger’s momma even thanked me for saving his life.”

“Really?” Derek grinned. “How cool was that! Now Jerry, I know you’re not the dress up kind, don’t tell me they actually got you into a tux.”

Jerry laughed and shook his head. “Close to it. I was in a suit. I didn’t buy it, they did. I don’t usually have that kind of garb, but they got me to wear one. I tied my hair back and looked all respectable and everything. Even gave the toast.”

Derek raised a glass to his friend. “Sounds like you did just fine, buddy.” He shook his head. “Wow, married. I never would’ve guessed. I figured they were together with the matching rings, but not like that.”

“Yeah… those are nice rings they chose.” He took a sip of water as the waitress walked up with their orders.

“Thanks,” Derek uttered as the plate was set before him—a huge roast beef sandwich, cut into two triangles, complete with frilled toothpicks. “Damn. Good thing I have an appetite.”

Jerry eyed his spaghetti. It was a large mound of looped pasta smothered in red sauce. Wilma set down a shaker of Parmesan cheese next to his plate.

“Enjoy your dinner.”

“Thanks, Wilma,.” Jerry called after her. She didn’t respond.

“Damn, that was rude.” Derek scowled. “What’s her beef?”

“Oh, same one as everyone else around here,” Jerry groused. “They still think of me as the druggie, not the guy who saved a life. Or at least it seems that way. Maybe they’re just grossed out at me being bi. I think even you were at one time.”

Derek set down his sandwich and shook his head. “That’s not true. I never said a word about you and Pat being together, did I?”

Jerry picked at his dinner. “You didn’t have to. Everyone else said it for you with the glares, the gawks, and the threats we had every day.”

The bearded man shut his eyes before opening them a second later. “Jerry, look at me. I’m your friend now, just as I was then. Alright? I was never disgusted by you being in love with another man. It didn’t make sense to me, to be honest, but it ain’t my life or my body. It’s yours. It’s your heart. I’m glad you guys were happy for as long as you were.”

“Until I fucked it all up. That’s when I lost you too. I had my new friends while you backed away from me and Pat went off to college. I had to choose that path instead of the one I should’ve picked.”

“It’s over now. You’re back. You’re the decent kid I knew in high school. Look at you, you’re working and have real friends again, and you’re clean and sober. You’re being too hard on yourself, Jerry.”

“I suppose.” He twirled some of the pasta onto his fork and ate it carefully. “Old habits die hard, but ways of thinking die harder. Especially around here.”

Derek patted his friend’s shoulder. “Give it time. It’ll be alright, you’ll see. Anyone messes with you, they’ll have to answer to me. Not to mention Sid and Roger too.”

Jerry genuinely smiled for the first time that night. “Thanks, Derek.”

 

After a two-hour-long chat at dinner, Jerry and Derek arrived back at Jerry’s house. It was a tiny hut, all wood construction, but the porch slanted, and the yard was overgrown. Jerry noticed Derek’s expression and shrugged.

“I know what you’re thinkin’, but I got it pretty cheap. It’s just a little hunting cabin. It was good enough at the time, but the weather ravaged it and I couldn’t keep up with it. It’s a shithole of a place now, barely a bed and a bath, but it’s a roof over my head. I do what I can.”

Derek rubbed his bearded jaw. “I don’t think it can even be fixed up. To be honest, it probably ought to be condemned.” He stepped onto a board; it creaked and whined under his weight. “I’d bet you all these boards are dry-rotted through. Same with the roof and the walls. Like you said, it was cheap.”

“I hate this place, but I just started making some money again. At least legal money, where I’m working for someone.”

Derek raised a brow. “I remember when you were selling drugs for a livin’.”

“Yup. I almost went to jail too, when I got caught selling, but I pleaded with the arresting officer and gave him a quick blow job, told him I’d get rid of the plants. He accepted my offer. After I did him, we went to my farm and destroyed all the plants. I never saw him again after that. Not like that, I mean.” He looked back and saw the look of disapproval on his friend’s face. “We all make mistakes. I just made way more of ‘em.”

“I know, Jerry. I know,” Derek said quietly.

Jerry bowed his head. “You sure about being my friend again and dealing with all this baggage of mine?”

“I’m sure. Come on, let’s go inside.”

“Alright, just look out for rats and bugs.” He reached for the door knob, twisted it, and pushed his shoulder against it, jarring it open.

Jerry ushered his friend inside before shutting the door. A few dirty dishes sat in the sink. An ancient-looking telephone hung on the wall near the kitchen. A sofa that dated back to the seventies sat in the center of the room, with numerous stains on it. In front of that was a coffee table made from barn wood, and in front of that was a TV so old it still had rabbit ears, but no digital box, so it was virtually unusable.

Jerry looked back into his friend’s face. Did he see absolute disapproval there, or was it pity? “Yeah, I know. Trust me. I hate living like this. I spend most of my time over at the ranch.”

“You’ll change it around. I can help you out.”

“I don’t think this place can be saved. All of this crap was from dumpster diving or donations from someone I’d sold drugs to or slept with.”

Derek shook his head. “Damn, Jerry. Step two of this needs to be a new place. Have this bulldozed. Start over.”

“I’m seriously considering it. Thanks for the offer to help, Derek. Bet you could knock this place down with one swing of a sledgehammer.” They laughed together.

“I bet I could.” He glanced at his watch. “I gotta get home and see my girl. We’re living together, you know. I think she’d remember you.”

“How could you not remember me?” Jerry mused. “Thanks for hanging out with me, it was fun.”

“Next time we’ll shoot pool or something. Bring Sid and Roger along.”

“I’ll ask ‘em. Night, Derek. Have a good one.”

Derek side-hugged him. “You too, Jerry.”


Chapter Four

“Mornin’, Goldilocks.”

Jerry chortled as he approached the barn. “Hey, Sid. How’s it going this morning?”

“Going well. How’d things go last night?”

“Good. We talked about some old times and how much I’m trying to change, or rather have changed. He saw the house too… thinks it should be razed.”

Sid raised a brow. “I agree there. If the inspector saw it, he’d throw you right out. Derek must be a good influence on ya. You need more of that in your life.”

Jerry nodded. “Oh yeah.”

Roger came out from the house and hugged him warmly. “How are you this morning?”

“I’m good, Rog. Derek knew me when I wasn’t a dirtbag. He’s a good guy who’s got his head screwed on straight.”

Sid and Roger linked arms; both looked impressed. “Looks like that boy is changing you for the better, Jer,” Roger commented.

“I hope so.”

“Have you eaten yet? Come on inside, I made an extra omelet for you. Come on, skin ‘n’ bones.” Afterward a quick breakfast, they headed back outside to feed the cattle.

* * * *

A while later, a truck horn interrupted the busy trio as a delivery vehicle pulled up into the driveway. A tall, gangly man hopped out of the cab. “’Scuse me, I’m lookin' fer a Sid Rosen?”

Sid approached the man. “I’m him.” He looked over the cargo. “Ah good, all the rest of our order. My compliments to the boys at the warehouse.”

The driver spat on the grass. “Yup, they’s fast alright. You gonna unload this y’self or you need hep?”

Jerry and his friends shared an amused look, as they took in the driver’s appearance and lack of linguistic skill. He looked a mess, as if he’d slept in the cab all night with nothing but a bottle of whiskey for company. His beard was overgrown and mangy, his clothes were rumpled, and he emanated a smell similar to the fertilizer he delivered.

“Come on, Jerry. Let’s go help him out,” Roger suggested.

“Right. Back to work.”

* * * *

The three men labored until well past noon, when Jerry’s stomach rumbled so loudly he felt it through his shirt. He approached Roger and tugged on his sleeve. “Can we go eat? I’m starved!”

Roger put his arm around his friend. “I am too. You want to eat here or in town?”

“In town’s alright. We can do dinner here later.”

“Sounds good to me. Lemme call my darling husband.” He put his fingers into his mouth and with a shrill whistle caught Sid’s attention. “Hey! We gonna eat or what?”

Sid shook his head at the two as he stepped aside from filling the dogs’ food dishes. He put his arms around Roger’s neck and messed with his hair. “You callin’ me like you call our dogs, baby?” he asked playfully.

“You came runnin’, didn’t you?” Roger replied and stuck out his tongue. Sid covered his husband’s mouth with his own and kissed him deeply.

“Damn right I did.” He took Roger’s hand and retrieved his truck keys from his pocket. He slung his other arm around Jerry’s shoulders. “Ready to go, kiddo?”

“Oh yeah.”

* * * *

The diner was crowded at that hour, with most of the ranchers and farmers taking their lunch breaks. Sid spotted three stools at the counter and they snatched them up. Three glasses of water quickly appeared in front of them, as did Melba. “What’ll it be, boys?”

Sid patted his stomach. “I’m dying for some pancakes. Rog?”

“Mmm, I think I’ll try something new. Jerry, that turkey wrap you had yesterday sure looked good. I’ll try that.”

She shot a look at Jerry. “And what can I get for you?”

He tapped his fingers on the menu with indecision, finally making a selection a moment later. “Um… I’ll go with the grilled chicken sandwich.”

“Alright.” She turned to give the orders to the cook, then walked back over just as quickly, stopping in front of Jerry. “Oh, good thing you stopped in, boys. Some folks were looking for you. Well, looking for Jerry in particular.”

Jerry scowled as he felt his mouth run dry and he swallowed back a good deal of his water to get the power of speech restored. “Asking about me? Well, who were they? Did you get a name? Did they look dangerous?”

Melba laughed, an unattractive sound. “It was that O’Leary family. Hadn’t seen the boy in a while, guess he just got back into town. .” She shot a look at Sid. “He could’ve been your kid brother if you had one. Fire red hair like you.”

“Melba!” The cook grumbled at her. “Get back to work, we got customers waitin’.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah. Just passin’ along some news.” She disappeared out into the main dining room.

Jerry felt his stomach drop and his face flush. It couldn’t be… why the hell would he be here? He left here years ago because of what I did. Why would he come back?

Roger put his arm around his friend. “Jerry? You alright?”

Jerry shook his head. “Not really. No big mystery on who’s looking for me. That could only be one person on earth. Pat.”

“Who’s Pat?” Roger asked innocently.

Sid held up a finger to stop him. “I know who he is. Hold that thought, we’ll talk about this at home. Melba!”

The waitress waddled over again. “Yeah?”

“Can we get our orders to go? Change of plans.”

“Sure, hon. They’ll be ready in ten minutes.”

“Thanks.” He put an arm around Jerry. “You need to go outside.”

“Why?” Jerry mumbled.

“Because you’re so damn pale a ghost has more color than you. Rog, take him outside, maybe walk him around.”

Roger nodded. “You got it.” He took his friend’s hand and with some effort, he walked him outdoors.

* * * *

The three arrived back at the ranch and opened their lunches. Jerry picked at his sandwich.

“Come on, try to eat a little, won’t you?” Roger pleaded. “Just a bite or two, unless your stomach’s upset?”

Jerry glanced up, barely meeting Roger’s gray eyes, filled with concern. “I’ll try.”

Sid rubbed his friend’s shoulders. “You’ll feel better if you talk about it. I finally did when I could utter Victor’s name without breaking into tears.”

His lips struggled to form words. “I wish I could. I actually mentioned him just yesterday, to Derek.”

Roger cocked his head. “Did you all go to school together?”

Jerry nodded. “Yes, a long time ago.”

Sid kept rubbing the small shoulders. “You want me to start? Or you?”

“I will.” He reached for Roger’s hand and let out a breath. “Here goes. Patrick O’Leary… a name I wanted tattooed on my arm at one point, it was that serious.”

“It was in high school…” Sid prompted him.

Jerry felt a warm sensation on his leg; it was Sheila, the little Yorkie terrier of Roger’s that’d been shot in the leg that fateful day. Jerry leaned down and picked her up and let her kiss his face. “Hey, baby girl. How’s my sweetie?”

“We were together almost three years before everything blew up. I was fifteen or sixteen. My parents had just died and I was a ward of the state. I had some foster parents for a while named John and Patti. They were alright until they found out I was gay. After that they pretty much left me alone.” He drew a deep breath and succumbed to his memories. “As for Patrick… we’d known each other through all of junior high, and finally got together in high school. He was so… amazing. Tall, taller than Sid. Lanky, but not wafer thin. Covered in freckles. Bright red hair, and the most beautiful hazel eyes. They seemed to change colors with the weather. One minute they’d be brown, the next they were brilliant green. We were together day and night.”

“Until…?” Sid prompted as he sat down beside him, petting Caesar.

Jerry kissed the dog’s coat. “Until I fell in with the wrong crowd and they introduced me to smoking, drinking, and drugs.” He held Sheila closer, which she didn’t seem to mind at all.

“Pat and I were happy as could be. I’d fallen really hard for him. I loved him with all my heart and he loved me back. But then he got into the honors program and he was busy and studied harder than I knew anyone could. He said he was doing it for us, for our future. Well, stupid me, I got bored sometimes, waiting for him to come up for air, so I started hanging around this group of kids at school. They seemed like good enough people. Damn was I ever wrong. It was fun at first, drinking and getting away with it. But then it got to where I couldn’t say no. It got so bad that once Pat finally was free, I told him I was busy, that I couldn’t spend any time with him, these kids took all my time. Then the drugs started.”

“That’s when everything fell apart?” Roger asked.

Jerry nodded and brushed away tears. “I got sick the first couple of times, but they told me it would stop, and it did. It made it easier to take that hit or smoke a joint, or hide out to make meth.” He shut his eyes and wished he could flush the memories away. “Pat found out about it when he saw me coming home from the police station. Holy shit, he looked so hurt.” He brushed tears away. “I felt lower than dirt. I’d lied to him about everything and messed up my life pretty badly. My foster parents threw me out and I was homeless. My new friends didn’t come around at all. Derek was the one who bailed me out of jail. As for Pat… dammit, my Pat...”

Roger wiped away tears of his own. “Holy cow! What’d he do?”

“Nothing. What could he say? He’d done everything he could think of to get me away from them, but it wasn’t enough. He and I got into the biggest argument we’d ever had the next day. He said he must not be enough for me and that I loved the other kids, and not him.” He twisted his hair and pulled on it as his breathing went off kilter. “Damn, I’d never seen a boy cry that much in my life in one night. I just bowed my head in shame when I heard him sobbing. I was upset too, but I was too hung over to let it show.” He took a deep breath, his pulse slowing to normal again with great effort. “Being the dickwad I was, I denied it of course, and said I still loved him, but he didn’t buy it at all. He said it came down to him or my new friends, and in the doped up state I was in, I chose the assholes I’d ruined my life with over the love of my life.”

He covered his face briefly while Sid held him tightly about the shoulders. Roger took his hand and held it tight. Finally, he found his voice again. “He was gone a week later. His parents mailed me a note saying he’d gone off to college and I’d never see him again.” He bowed his head and kissed Sheila repeatedly. “He wrote me, a lot. He said how sorry he was and that he still loved me and wanted the best for me. He swore he’d come back for me if I’d just say the word. He’d give up everything to be with me… but I never responded.”

“What?”

“Nope. Not once. God, that was the most asinine… stupid, stupid move! After a year I didn’t hear from him on a regular basis anymore, and finally not at all. That’s when I really hit the drinking hard. Derek gave up on me too when he watched me stumble into the tavern on a nightly basis, usually with a different stranger at my side, one that I’d end up fucking later on. I got into fist fights for no reason other than I wanted to stir up trouble… the works. I wanted to destroy my life as quickly as possible and part of me was already dead inside.” He tossed his hair back over his shoulder. “On some level I was still the Jerry in love with Pat, but he’d been so beaten down by the other me that nothing mattered. Not a damn thing. His parents told me I’d never see him again. Ever. That night I tried to kill myself with alcohol. Ended up surviving it, obviously.”

“Well, something must’ve changed, since they’re looking for you,” Sid interjected optimistically.

Jerry nodded. The memories of what happened and what he’d done flooded his brain; he held Sheila so tightly, she yelped.

Roger reached for his dog. “Ease up now… she’s just a little thing.”

“Sorry.” He relinquished his hold on the dog and let her go to her master. “Why’d he come back here? Why would he even want to look at me ever again? After what I did?”

Roger ran his hands over Jerry’s hair, putting it back into place. “Maybe he still loves you, and word got around town about what you did? You’re not that same kid who hurt him years ago. You’re a grown man with a job and respectable, sober friends. Friends that truly do love you and care about you. Don’t forget Derek too. He likes you a lot. Seems like a good kid to me.”

“Look, Jerry, the fact is he’s here and you’re likely to meet in the same spot at some point. What will you say?” Sid quizzed him.

Jerry let out a sigh. “I have no idea.” He rubbed his stomach. “I feel pretty queasy and very tired.”

Roger stood and took his hand. “Come on, go lie down in the back room until you feel better. I’ll bring you some antacid in a minute.”

“But what about…?” Jerry protested.

“Shush. Off to bed with you. We’ve got things covered until you’re up to it. Now go sleep,” Sid commanded, and punctuated his words with a kiss to Jerry’s forehead. “Get some rest. We love you, you little doofus. Get well.”

Jerry silently hugged Sid, then Roger. “Love you guys too.” He shuffled into the bedroom and shut the door, where he slept the rest of the afternoon. He awoke briefly for dinner, which he ate little of, and retreated to bed again.


 

Chapter Five

The next morning, Jerry unfolded the fresh newspaper and snapped it taut, scanning the front page. His eyes bulged at what he read. “Lipman Industries rumored to be buying properties in Hawkinsville.” He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, hoping that it wasn’t true. He read further and skimmed most of the article. “Lipman is a large farming conglomerate looking to possibly expand operations in Kansas. So far they have narrowed their choices to either Warren or Randolph County. Private farmers would be offered a handsome price for their property and the land would then be covered under the large, safe corporate banner. A final decision is expected in August. A town hall meeting has been scheduled for next Monday night with a representative from the company.”

“Uh huh, and what about the individual ranchers, boys? What about them?” He folded the paper and stuffed it angrily under his arm. He marched into the house; Roger and Sid sat at the table, eating quietly.

“What’s up, darlin’? You look like all hell’s broken loose,” Roger observed.

“Here, read this.” Jerry tossed the paper to Sid.

“That’s damn ridiculous!” the redhead said, raising his voice. He shoved the paper over to Roger as he stood.

“You bet it is. Damn. Need more to eat to deal with this.” Jerry took his seat and began to eat his meal.

Sid paused and looked down at Jerry. “Good to see you eating again, kiddo. You feel alright?”

Jerry nodded. “I’m better, thanks. I think if I’d had a car last night, I would’ve been at the bar for sure.”

“Fall off the wagon? Not while you sleep in this house.” Roger stopped himself. “Damn, that was right out of my parent’s playbook.” All three cracked a smile.

“I appreciate that, guys. I know he’s out there, now I just have to brace myself for when he appears.”

“Do you know what you’re going to say yet?”

Jerry shook his head. “Besides hello or I’m sorry? I have no idea.”

“It’ll come,” Roger assured him.

“Well, right now we got business worries, what with that big corporate farm wanting to buy us out,” Sid commented. “It’s this county or Randolph. I hope they just forget their little idea and move on.”

Roger eyed his husband. “Damn, Sid. What’re we going to do? We saved this farm and I’ll be damned if anybody takes it from us.”

Jerry piped up. “I betcha this is all the chatter in town this morning. I wonder if maybe they’ll have a meeting at the Grange Hall before that company rep comes to town?”

“Might be, kiddo. We should head into town after we finish morning chores. This has got to be stopped if it’s true.”

“Agreed,” Jerry said with a nod, before taking a fresh bite of pancakes “Let’s get ‘er done and head into town.”

Roger brushed his shoulder. “What if you run into…?”

Jerry shrugged and let out a groan. “Rog, if I do, I do. I can’t dwell on it. Whatever happens happens, right? Everything happens for a reason. I screwed up. I chose wrong, but he came back to town anyway. I’ll find out sometime, but I won’t force the issue.”

Sid raised an impressed brow. “Wow, nice spiel kid. Hope you believe it.”

“I do.” He drank his orange juice and stood. “Come on, let’s feed them cows.”

* * * *

Two hours later, the trio entered the diner, or at least attempted to. The place was standing room only, with several farmers outside, their voices so loud they could be heard from behind the building. As they approached, one of the farmers, Tim Crockett, caught Sid’s attention.

“Hey, Sid! Roger.” He paused. “Jerry. I’m sure you boys’ve heard the news by now, that they wanna mess with our farms?”

“Hold on, Tim. We don’t know anything for sure yet. It could be Randolph County that gets bought out,” Roger interjected.

Always the peacemaker, Jerry thought.

“Hmpf. Well, it damn well not better be us, Laramie. Let’s put it that way.”

“What’re you going to do to make them stop?” Sid demanded. “Burn down your fields? Kill your livestock? Well, I don’t know about you, but we just ours put back together and we’re doing just fine. I don’t want to lose it again and I’m sure none of you do either!”

“Well, maybe we can fire back with some of our own ammunition if you get my drift, Rosen.” This earned him a round of nods in approval of the statement.

Sid looked at his companions and then at the angry mob. “Well, until we have all the facts, it’s business as usual at our place. We’re staying put and operational until someone comes up with a reason for us to leave.”

They attempted to move toward the diner, but Tim blocked their way, looking at Jerry. “What about you, Evans? You ain’t said a damn word. What the hell can this even mean to you?”

Jerry didn’t flinch as the burly man approached him, towering over his short frame. “I’ll have you know it means a lot to me. I work at their ranch. My own farm didn’t work out, but theirs is. I say we don’t do anything stupid until we know what the hell they’re even going to do, or rather whom they’re going to do it to. We’ll find it all out when that guys comes to town.”

Roger clapped his friend’s shoulder. “Good job, Jerry. I think you handled that well,” he whispered into his ear.

Sid ushered his companions in front of him. “Come on, boys, let’s go inside and avoid this less-than-appealing environment.”

The trio pushed past the men and into the diner. Sid plucked a menu from the pile, then he propped his feet up on the bar at the counter.

“This sounds good, the BLT,” Jerry commented.

“I dunno, the club sandwich is usually good,” Roger added.

The door opened, making the cow bell above the door ring loudly. Jerry turned his head to see who it was. Whoever it was was tall enough to block out the sunlight that poured in through the glass door, casting a shadow upon him, but when the figure moved, a sliver of sunlight hit him squarely in the eyes, blinding him. As soon as his eyes adjusted, Jerry gasped aloud and covered his mouth. “Holy… Pat!

“What is it, kid?” Sid asked.

“Sid, he’s here!” Jerry poked him in the side.

As he watched, Patrick joined them at the bar, tipping his head down. “Hi,” he offered in an even tone.

Sid stuck out his hand first. “Sid Rosen. I remember you from way back when, Patrick. Good to see you again.”

Patrick managed a smile. “You as well. I remember you too. Not too many redheads in this town.”

Next in line was Roger, who offered his hand. “Hi, Roger Laramie. Sid’s husband.”

Patrick seemed to brighten at that. He shook the man’s hand as well. “Nice to meet you, Roger. How long…?”

“Oh, nearly four months. I moved here little over a year ago.”

“You like it here?”

He glanced at Sid and brushed his hand. “It’s my home now.”

Patrick finally extended a hand to Jerry, whose eyes hadn’t left him since he came in. Sid put his arm around his young friend and whispered in his ear, “It’s alright. It’s just hello.”

Jerry finally managed to look up into those beautiful hazel eyes he’d missed for so many years. He took a deep breath and took the man’s hand. “Pat.”

“It’s damn good to see you again, Jerry. I admit, I almost didn’t recognize you, if not for the hair.”

Jerry tucked his hair up under his hat and felt his stomach tighten. Just seeing Pat again and him being cordial made Jerry want to scream. He had so many pent-up feelings inside they meshed into a bevy of butterflies, all running into each other. He finally formulated words in his mind that he managed to spit out. “How can you even say that it’s good to see me? After what I did?” the young man replied as he looked back at Sid anxiously. “Can we please order or get out of here?”

Sid nodded. “Patrick, it’s on us, what would you like?”

“Um, the turkey club.”

“Hang tight, you two go out to the truck, we’ll wait here.”

Patrick held open the door for Jerry and himself. “Come on, let’s go chat.”

“Okay,” Jerry answered nervously as he followed the tall redhead out the door. Once they got to their vehicles, he glanced up at Patrick again. “I… didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

“I couldn’t stay away. You’re looking well, Jerry. Just older. I guess all of that caught up with you.”

“It did, but I’m trying to look better. You look good too. College seems to agree with you.”

His friends appeared around the side of the diner then; he hadn’t even noticed them coming. They had lunch in tow.

“How’s it going, guys?” Sid asked carefully.

“It’s alright. Can we go eat at your place? I’d like to talk to Pat, but not here.” He turned to his ex. “Um, would you like to…?”

“I’d love to. I have my own car. Why don’t you ride with me, you can show me the way? I’ve forgotten the lay of the land out here.”

Roger smiled at them, climbing into the truck alongside Sid. “We’ll see you there then.”

 

* * * *

Back at the ranch, all four men climbed out of their vehicles. Jerry watched as Sid and Roger went inside. He felt his stomach drop as he faced Patrick again, alone.

“I know this is awkward…”

Jerry began to choke on his own tension. “Awkward? That’s an understatement. God, Pat, why are you here? Why am I even on your to see list?”

Patrick rubbed his pale arms. “I had to see you. I couldn’t… I didn’t want to let things stand the way they were forever. You must know that.” His eyes looked over the land. Those gorgeous eyes that Jerry could never forget. “Please, can we walk in the fields? It’s private out there.”

“I guess so. Maybe I can figure out why on earth you’d want to even look at me again.”

“Jer…”

“No… I don’t get why you’re here. You left because I fucked up! I was a drunk and a druggie, a slut! Why would you give me a second thought?”

Patrick let out a hot breath. “Would you please let me explain why I’m here?”

Jerry bowed his head, hoping that his emotions wouldn’t go into overdrive. Patrick was whom he considered to be the love of his life, the one that not only got away, but the one he’d tossed away. Someone he couldn’t even believe was standing in front of him right now, willingly speaking to him. He thought of the pond at the edge of the property. It’d be a long walk, but maybe just long enough to figure this all out. “Okay… okay. Let’s walk. There’s a pond at one edge. We can go there and back.”

“Fair enough. Let’s go.”

Patrick was still just as handsome and striking as when before he’d left. Six years had passed, and maybe the only thing that had changed was that his fiery hair was short. He was still slim in build, which accentuated his height of 6’4” even more. He did have some stubble on his face at last, a sign he’d reached manhood.

“So… you start. Why are you here?” Jerry took the reins on his nerves and started to chat.

“Never beat around the bush, did you? I came back, one, to find out what happened to you and two, because my Uncle just died.”

Jerry stopped in his tracks. “Oh shoot! That’s right. I forgot he was your uncle. I’m so sorry. As for the other part… you knew what I was when you left. How’d you know I’d even changed at all? I’m sure you’ve changed… I guess you went off to college and became an actual success at something, I bet.”

Patrick grinned lightly and nodded. “My parents still live here, remember? They keep me up to date on things around town. I’ve been through some changes. I went to college and worked my butt off for six years. I just graduated from law school a couple of weeks ago.”

“Law school? Holy cow, Pat! That’s great! So, what’re you doing in a nothing town like this again? You should run away from here.”

“To be honest, I didn’t know what I wanted to do yet, until a few months ago I got wind of a certain story about one Jerry Evans saving a man’s life.”

“That’s part of what brought you back? Me saving someone’s life?”

Patrick caught his arms. “Yes, Jerry! Don’t you see? That was the start of it all. My folks told me how you stopped getting into so much trouble, kept your name off the police blotter, and got a job at that ranch with your friends.”

Jerry felt his pulse race as he tried to picture being watched by Patrick’s parents. . “Your parents have been spying on me this whole time? Why?”

“No, not spying, but they keep up with what’s going on in town, and they know what you meant to me… Hell, what you still mean to me, Jerry. To be honest, they never really approved of you until recently. That’s why they shuttled me off to college so fast after everything went down the way it did. Dad and I packed up my room and we took off a week later. They know now. They understand that you still mean a lot to me.”

“I do?” The words were music to his ears, but he had to hear all of it. Every last drop of what Pat wanted. He’d longed to hear those sweet words again.

Patrick reached for him, and Jerry allowed it. He loved feeling the large hands on his shoulders again, and smelling that cologne that he always wore. “Jerry… I don’t want to rehash our past, it was too painful to live through as it was. The point is, you got through it and I did too. Now I’m back, and I’m going to be living here again, but only if you can stand having me here.” He slid his hands down and took one of Jerry’s hands and kissed it. “My feelings were very hurt by what you did, and we’ve both gotten older and changed, but I want to start out slow this time. No pressure at all. I just want to know if you can handle having me in your life again, or if you even missed me at all.”

If I missed you at all? Are you kidding me? I pined for you every night! Especially since Sid and Roger got married. All I could think of was you. Jerry forced himself to move his head in a nodding motion. “I definitely missed you. I know that’s hard to believe… with how awful I was…”

“Then maybe we can talk again? Just normal talking, the way people do all the time. We have new lives, Jerry. I haven't seen you in six years… we’ve both changed.”

“What if we don’t get along anymore? What if we just don’t match anymore?”

Patrick pursed his lips. “Then I guess we deal with that if it should happen. I hope it doesn’t, but we’ve got a lot of catching up to do. Will you at least think about it?”

Jerry fell silent and brushed the hair out of his eyes. “I’ll think about it.”

“Then that’s a start. Come on, let’s head back to the house.”

“Then what?” he asked nervously.

Patrick chuckled. “Then I leave. I have a house to look after now and the bar exam to study for. My Dad and I are getting estimates on what it’ll take to fix it.”

They’d reached the sunflower field. Jerry plucked one of the huge blossoms from its stem and carried it with him. “What house?”

“My Uncle’s, he willed it to me. It’s mine now, if I want to keep it. I guess that depends on how things go with living here again.”

Jerry gulped. “And how things go with me.”

“Partially. If they don’t go well, I’ll have a plan for that too, but I hope I don’t have to use it. I know you’re a good man on the inside, and I think we can get along again.”

“Pat…”

“Shhh. Nothing more today. Can I see you again soon? Bring your friends along. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, alright?”

Jerry nodded, his pulse returning to normal. “How about you come over for dinner sometime? Here? My place needs a wrecking ball.”

“Wrecking ball? Holy cow, what do you live in?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll tell you about it sometime. Um… how can I contact you?”

Patrick pulled out a pad of paper and a pen from his pocket. “Helps to be prepared when you’re a lawyer,” he mused. He jotted down his cell phone number and handed it to Jerry. “Only when you’re ready, alright?”

“Okay.”

“I hope to talk to you soon. Bye now.” He stepped back and jogged over to his car. Jerry ached to hug him goodbye. Well, more than hug. But he couldn’t do it. Not yet.

* * * *

Monday night arrived and the town hall was standing room only. Jerry glanced around at how full the room was. From his low vantage point, he could barely see over the crowd of flannel shirts and denim. Every farmer in the county must’ve been there. For a moment he wished he could be on top of Patrick’s shoulders, just so he could see. He turned at the feel of a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, pay attention, kiddo,” Sid whispered.

Jerry’s eyes went to the front of the room. He saw Mayor Lumly and a handsome, taller man next to him. An easel had been set up with the Lipman corporate logo. The Mayor looked prideful, like he was a fox that’d invaded the hen house.

“Good evening, everyone! I want to welcome all of you to tonight’s meeting. I’m Mayor Lumly of this fair burg of Hawnkinsville. As you know, times are tough and we’re no exception. Our farms aren’t doing well and things aren’t getting better. It’s time for a change. I’d like to introduce Mr. Colton Smith to you. He’s from a company called Lipman Corporation. I’d like you to give him a warm welcome.”

The well-dressed man stepped forward, his smile bright enough for even Jerry to see. “Good evening, everyone.”

There was a smattering of applause, but none of Jerry’s or he friends clapped.

Mr. Smith seemed to ignore the lack of cordiality and continued. “I understand your apprehension, but we at Lipman would like to take away some of the pain and suffering that you are surely experiencing.”

Jerry scowled. Who do you think you are, God? Gimme a break.

“I’ll cut right to the chase. What we’d like to do is offer a fair price to buy out your farms.”

This statement caused Sid and Roger to grumble, as well as Jerry.

“Now before you think the worst of it, we’re not putting up shopping malls or tearing down your town. That’s the furthest thing from our minds. What we’d like to do is buy up your farms, which will then give you the freedom to retire and buy a house on a more manageable piece of land.

“What’re you gonna do with our land?” A voice from the front cried out. Jerry saw it was Tim.

Mr. Smith didn’t skip a beat. “We plan to turn them into industrial farms, sir.”

Jerry wrinkled his nose and looked at Patrick. “Industrial farms? But…who’s going to work them?”

“Their laborers, Jerry. Cheap workers. We’re too expensive,” Sid answered back, his teeth gritted.

“Once the farms are converted to other uses, our employees will be the ones working the property.”

This released another general grumble. “Now don’t get me wrong, ladies and gentlemen. I grew up on a farm, so I know what it’s like. But I watched my father labor long and hard ,year after year, for hardly anything in return, and was thanked only with a broken body before he died at 56 years of age. If he’d been bought out, he could’ve let his body recover and lived a longer life.”

“You gonna kick us off our farms?” another voice asked.

“No sir, we are not going to kick anyone off. This is purely by choice. But I ask you to consider your situation, your land’s condition, and the future of this town in general. We will offer fair prices and the decision will be left up to you.”

“This is an excellent opportunity!” the Mayor interjected. “How many of you have I spoken with who are tired of the farming life and want to take your families to a more stable lifestyle? This would be of great assistance.” He pointed to an old man in the front row. “Jeb, you’ve been here all your life. You can’t work your farm anymore.” Without waiting for an answer, he pointed to Sid. “Sid! You nearly lost your farm entirely!”

Sid started to reply, but was cut off by the arrogant Mayor.

“How many of you would give up the uncertainty of farming life for something better? Let’s see a show of hands.”

Ten hands went up.

The mayor crossed his arms. “I’m sure there’s a lot more than that. This is a terrific opportunity you have in front of you. You’re just all stubborn and won’t take it!”

“You’re killing our town!” Jeb called out. “You hate this burg more than anyone I’ve ever met!”

Mayor Lumley shook his head. “Don’t be ridiculous. Of course, I don’t hate this town, but I do believe it could be much better. Lipman can make that happen. At least consider what they have to offer.”

Mr. Smith stepped forward again. “I’m looking forward to speaking with a lot of you, all that I can about this. I can show you that it’s a tempting offer.”

Sid shook his head and tapped Jerry on the shoulder. “Let’s go, we’re outta here.” The four men squished their way through the crowd and left the hall.


Chapter Six

Almost a full week passed while Jerry mulled the situation over in his mind. It was all such a shock to him, to have Patrick suddenly in his life again, but only if he chose to have him there. Since when was it a choice? Patrick was a part of him; he’d hoped and prayed that he’d be a permanent fixture. So what was the problem?

He rolled out of bed and onto his feet. It was still early, roughly 5 o’clock. He stood and paced the floor of his paltry bedroom, barely enough to do three strides in length. Jerry’s mind was a whirlwind of emotions and memories, which often left him lying awake for hours, despite his daily fatigue from the labors of his job.

“Shit, I’ll never get any sleep unless I figure this out.”

After shrugging on his thin robe over his nude body, he plodded to the kitchen to see what he had to eat that was still fit for human consumption. He opened the refrigerator door and was greeted by a moldy brick of cheese, some eggs, and a bottle of ketchup. “Thank goodness for those two. I’d starve to death left to my own devices.”

He opened the pantry door and found his breakfast—a box of instant oatmeal he could make in the microwave. As he prepared it, he sat on his ancient, stained sofa and struggled to stay awake. A few minutes later, he heard a familiar truck horn. He peered out the window, then opened the front door.

“Morning, Jerry.”

“Hey, Rog. How are you?” He watched the microwave clock until it counted down to its finish and retrieved his breakfast. He stirred it slowly and let it cool.

“Not too bad. Sleep alright?”

“Nope. Not since he came back.”

Roger rubbed his friend’s shoulders. “Are you thinking over what was? Or what you hope will be?”

Jerry shook his head. “Both, I guess. I was hoping to head into town today, maybe drop by the feed store. I want to see Derek again. He knew me back then. I want to remember who that guy was, not the one everybody thinks they know.”

“That sounds fine to me. Well, you gonna get dressed? Do you have a lot of laundry to do? We could bring it by the laundromat with our stuff. Beats doing it in the sink like you’ve been doing.”

Jerry laughed to himself. “Did you two officially adopt me and I just forgot to sign?”

Roger ruffled his friend’s hair. “Hey, we’re your friends and we want to take care of you. You’re a hard worker. We’ll help you out of this mess.”

“I have to help myself out of other things I did. No matter how wonderful the man is that’s offering to assist me with that.”

“You’ll get it ironed out. Come on, let’s find you some wearable clothes and get to work.”

Jerry finished off his oatmeal. “Coming.”

* * * *

After a long morning’s labor on the farm and a filling lunch, Jerry had Roger bring him into town. When they entered the feed store, Jerry saw Derek standing at the front register. Roger excused himself and walked to the back to give them a chance to talk.

“Hey, Jerry! How are you today?”

“Good! How’s business?” Jerry asked as he picked up a can of weed killer. “Our veggie garden’s full of dandelions. It’s ridiculous.”

“Did you use a pre-treater and that underlayment fabric?”

“Yeah, but they keep poking through. Can’t fight mother nature I guess.”

“Nope. If you try, you’re usually sorry. What can I get for you today?”

Jerry waved Roger back over. “I was wondering, if we could hang out sometime? I need to remember my past. You knew the old me, before I killed all those brain cells.”

Derek nodded. “Sure, man. What sounds good? Why all the trips down memory lane?”

“I have someone back in my life, that’s why I need to remember how I was.”

“Oh shoot, is it Patrick? He came back into town, didn’t he? I thought that was him.”

Jerry nodded. He felt Roger’s arm around his shoulder. “Yup. He came back. Dunno why he’d sentence himself like that, but he’s here. Something about a house, his uncle’s place.”

Derek snapped his fingers. “Oh yeah! I read he inherited it. Pretty sweet, huh? They’ve been in here pricing out landscaping stuff. Ol’ Harvey at the hardware store’s beside himself I bet, not much rehabbing going on these days. I bet you’re glad he’s back, but you’re apprehensive, right?”

“Exactly. How’d you get so smart?”

“I was always smart, you’re just willing to listen now.”

Roger chimed in. “Are you working tonight? Maybe come over to our place for dinner?”

Derek nodded. “Yeah, I could do that. What time?”

Jerry glanced at his friend. Um, about six o’clock, Rog?”

“Yeah, that’ll be fine. Come on, let’s hit the laundry place before our clothes ferment any longer in the truck.”

Derek wrinkled his nose in jest. “Nice visual there.”

“Hard working farmers have stinky clothes. Fact of life.”

“True enough there. See you guys tonight.”

“Bye, Derek.”

 

* * * *

Dinner began promptly at six o’clock. Sid and Roger sat on one side of the small, rectangular table while Derek and Jerry sat on the other.

“Hey, Roger. You have company.” Jerry pointed to Sheila, begging at his friend’s leg.

“Oh Sheila, you silly girl. Here’s one piece, alright?”

Sid also gave in to his boy. “You get sick and we’re gonna have words.”

Jerry laughed lightly. “Those dogs are like your kids. I feel like I’m the unofficial third child sometimes.”

Roger patted his hand. “You are, practically. We don’t mind it one bit.”

Derek took a large gulp of his water. “Good stew, Sid. Compliments to the chef.”

“Thanks, Derek. My mom taught me to cook ages ago, I guess some of it stuck. ‘Course, my better half over here cooks up the best chili I’ve ever had.”

Roger blew him a kiss. “Thank you.”

“Anytime.”

Jerry rolled his eyes in jest. “Oy, it’s just like having parents again. They embarrassed me almost as much.”

Derek chuckled. “Be happy they’re here.”

“I’m not complaining. No one else to look after me. Well, no one who actually cared. My foster folks stopped giving a crap after I came out. Pat looked after me all the time.”

“How is he, anyway? I mean…”

“Oh, he’s good. He’s almost a full lawyer now. I never pegged him for that, but he had to seek his own path and I guess law was it.”

“Is he practicing yet?” Roger asked.

“I don’t think so, he just graduated a couple of weeks ago. Said it took him six years.”

Derek raised a brow. “Wow. He worked damn hard then. It usually takes seven.”

Jerry nearly dropped his fork. “Really? So he fast-tracked himself through school just so he could get back to me? Why didn’t he seek out a real life for himself, instead of hoping I changed?”

Sid let out a groan. “Jerry, knock it off with that. You’re a changed man. You told me that his folks tell him everything. right?”

“Yeah, true enough.” He picked at his leftover carrots and potatoes, eating them one by one.

“Look, you’ve both had a lot of time apart. Let it build up again, don’t rush anything. Just let it happen as Mother Nature intended,” Roger advised.

“I’ve been thinking about calling him.”

“Then call him. We’ll be there. Derek, can you be there if need be?”

“Sure, man. What’re friends for? I’d like to see him again, catch up on all the high school stuff.”

Jerry happily ate more of his dinner. “Well then, I think I’ll give him a quick buzz. Um… anyone have a phone I could borrow?”

Roger retrieved his. “Here you go. We need to get you into this century, hon. No ride, no phone. Hardly a home to live in.”

“I have a roof. Yours.” He winked at Sid. “Gotta house your unofficial child somewhere.”

“We could add on…” Roger suggested.

“Shhh, he’s on the phone,” Sid corrected him.

 

Jerry stepped outside to get better reception. He fairly stopped breathing until a voice answered. “Hello?”

“Pat? It’s Jerry.”

The tone warmed up considerably. “Hi! Great to hear from you again. Is this your cell phone?”

“Um, I don’t have one of those. This is Roger’s number. You can use it to get ahold of me though, if he doesn’t mind.”

“So, how are you? How’s the ranch?”

Jerry ran his fingers through his long hair to hopefully expel his nerves. “Um, good, thanks. The cattle are fine and except for some weed issues in the veggie garden, it’s going well. In the summer I’m planting some pumpkins. My sunflower patch is nearly ready for harvest.”

“Sunflowers? That’s an unusual crop. Is that for a florist?”

“No, for the oil they have in them or for livestock feed. Pretty good return on them too. Should be able to buy a phone, or at least repair some stuff in the ratty little cabin I live in.”

A silence fell over the line and Jerry panicked, thinking the connection was lost. “Hello? Pat? You still there?”

“I’m here.”

“Whew… thought you were gone.”

“Relax, I’m here. I was just thinking. We’re rehabbing my uncle’s place. If anything, maybe we could help out with some volume pricing on some lumber and fix up your place too.”

“You don’t have to do that…”

“What if I want to? It’s the neighborly thing to do, Jerry. Don’t crucify me for wanting to help you out, because one way or another I’ll still want to.”

“Pat…”

“Yes?”

His original reason for the call suddenly came to mind. “Oh, I wanted to ask you to come to dinner soon. I’ll call you when I know my friend Derek can be here too.”

“Derek? Munson?”

“Yes, that’s him.”

“Oh cool! I remember him from high school. He was one of the good straight guys who didn’t give us any trouble. That made him alright in my book. What’s he been up to?”

Jerry felt a shock of playfulness come over him. “Well, you’ll just have to ask him at dinner.”

Pat laughed. “There’s some of the Jerry I knew. Let me know when. I’ve always got this phone with me.”

“I will. Well, I’m gonna go, so we’ll talk again. Good night, Pat.”

“Good night, Jerry.”

He walked back inside and sat back down next to Derek.

“Well, how’d it go?”

“It went great. He’d love to catch up with you again and be around everyone. Whenever you’re free, we can do this again.”

Sid cleared his throat. “Let me know what to make for dinner, since you’re using our house again.” His tone was half-serious. It was his house being scheduled for these impromptu dinner gatherings, after all.

Roger tsked at his husband. “Now now. I say we make a nice turkey dinner on Thursday night. How’s that suit your schedule, Derek?”

“That suits me fine. I’ll let Emily know I won’t be home. She’s cool with it, but you guys have got to come over soon so she can see who’s stealing me away evenings.”

“Deal.” Jerry shook his hand.

Roger slid his phone back over to Jerry. “Let him know now what day.”

“Oh, right, I’ll do that.” He hit redial and Pat picked up again.

“Hi again.”

“Hey. Thursday night, how’s that for you?”

“Sounds wonderful. At the ranch, I gather?”

“Well yeah, my place only holds rats and roaches. About six?”

“I’ll be there. Good night again, Jerry.”

“Night, Pat.”

Chapter Seven

For the first time in a week, Jerry woke up with a happy feeling in his soul, and not just nerves or angst. It was a welcome sensation as he sat up in his bed and stretched. He gathered his long hair over his shoulder and ran his fingers through it to comb it out. He glanced at the clock. It was just past 5 o’clock, where was Roger? Usually he showed up by now. Must’ve slept in with Sid. They were still newlyweds after all. He smiled at the daydream of getting married himself someday, sharing a life and a house with that special guy. Was it Patrick? Who knew… but he hoped so. Now to just prove that he was worthy enough to have that dream come true.

He threw back the covers and stood, stretching his naked body. He was accustomed to sleeping nude, it was another habit he’d formed during the old days, but usually there was another naked man—or sometimes two—next to him, passed out, or in the bathroom. Jerry reached for his thin robe and covered himself as he once again looked for something to eat. He found another packet of oatmeal and fixed it quickly.

A few minutes later he heard Roger’s truck pull up in the driveway, followed by that familiar knock at the door.

“Well, wondered if you were coming to get me today,” Jerry mused.

Roger shook his head and hugged his friend hello. “Sorry, got caught up in my husband.”

Jerry laughed at the blushing Roger. “That is so awesome how you guys found each other.”

“I love it. Come on, throw some clothes on and let’s get going. We gotta hit the store for tomorrow night, too.”

“Ah yes. The dinner.”

Roger put his arm around him. “Nervous about that?”

He shrugged. “Not too much, really. I think we’ve gotten past the really awkward stage and I just want to talk to him now. Kinda feel him out, see where his head’s at. Derek’s good with advice too, maybe he can help me figure this all out.”

“Maybe so. Come on, go get some clothes on and we’re heading out.”

Jerry saluted his friend and walked back to his room to dress.

* * *

Thursday night finally arrived, the one that Jerry had been anticipating for nearly forty-eight hours. He paced the small house, sniffing the turkey, or helping with the side dishes. Sid finally grabbed him by the shoulders.

“Stop pacing, you’re makin’ me nuts.”

“Just nervous. It’ll be nice to see him again. Derek too.”

Roger put his arm around his friend. “Just chill out, boy or I’ll lock you in that room until you calm down.”

Jerry pouted playfully and kissed Roger’s cheek. “I’m getting there. You’re a good pal, Rog. You’re like my mom was… she was always calming me down.” He sighed and played with his braided hair. “She loved my hair. She’s the one who taught me to braid it and take care of it. It’s all ravaged now—split ends, all that. But I feel like it’s part of who I am…”

Sid looked back at him. “It’s just hair, Jerry.”

“I know, but… it’s kinda my look. Though… I guess my looks got me into trouble in the first place, didn’t they?”

Roger tipped his chin up. “It wasn’t that, you had persuasive friends and you weren’t strong enough to stand up to them. They helped you get into trouble. Being cute was just who you were.”

Jerry sighed and felt along his face. It felt leathery to him now. “I was cute. Not anymore.”

“Drugs will do that,” Sid stated matter-of-factly.

“I know. Well, at least the teeth look good, huh? I’ve gotten used to ‘em finally. The hair might be cut, we’ll see. The rest… I can’t reverse what I did… just won’t do that crap ever again.”

Roger patted his arms and held him close. “That’s the best way, my dear boy.” He kissed Jerry’s hair and held him close.

When he heard the knock, Jerry exited Roger’s grasp. He opened the door and saw Derek’s smiling face.

“Hi, Jerry! How’s it going?”

“Good! Come on in, dinner’s almost ready.”

Derek shook Roger and Sid’s hands and gave Jerry a brief hug hello. “Patrick was just pulling onto your street, so he should be here any second…”

As soon as the words were finished, another knock was heard. Jerry scurried over and opened it, and fell silent when he saw the tall redhead again.

“Evening, Jerry.”

He managed to wet his lips again and find his voice. “Hi, Pat. I’m glad you came.”

“Wouldn’t miss it. Oh, I brought the hosts something.” He presented a bottle of red wine, handing it to Sid.

“Oh wow, thanks, Patrick. We haven’t had wine in a while. Thank you very much.”

“You’re welcome. Oh, and for you, I hope you don’t mind.”

Jerry held his breath. Gifts? But I can’t get you a thing… His eyes widened as he saw a single red rose in Patrick’s hand. He offered it to Jerry.

“Pat…”

“It’s merely a rose, Jerry. Hardly expensive. The wine was hardly more than $4 as it was. Please accept it as the start of a new beginning for us? I hope. As friends first, see where it goes?”

Jerry smiled and accepted the flower, quickly sniffing its intoxicating scent. “Oh wow, that smells nice. I’ve never smelled a rose before.”

“Never?” Roger said incredulously.

“Nope. Not a one.”

“Well, now you have. What do you think of it?” Patrick asked.

“I love it. Very nice.” He ran his fingers along the brilliant red petals. “These are soft too. Thank you, Pat.”

“You’re very welcome.”

Roger took his arm and steered him towards the table. “Come on, let’s sit over here. Time to eat.”

 

The men sat down to the table and began their supper. “Mmm, best turkey I’ve ever had, Sid! Nice job,” Derek proclaimed.

“Thanks. Rog and Jerry helped me out with the side dishes, so I could focus on the bird.”

“You’re a regular tag team cooking duo,” Derek added.

“It’s wonderful. Love home cooked meals,” Patrick interjected. “One of the many things I missed while I was away at school.”

Jerry nodded. “I bet. Your mom was a great cook, from what I remember. Especially desserts. Kept trying to fatten me up.”

Roger laughed. “Oh, so this has been going on for a long time then, huh? Did you have an eating disorder or something, Jerry? Or just picky?”

He took another bite of his turkey and a sip of water. “I’d say I was picky, but from how thin I was certain people believed I was almost anorexic. I wasn’t. I just burned it off really fast. Your mom never quite got that through her head, Pat.”

“Well, can you blame her? You were rail thin to her. Okay, to me too. Had to feed you and keep you healthy-looking.”

“Don’t you wanna look like me, Jerry?” Derek asked in a joking manner.

Jerry laughed and shook his head. “You’re huge! Look at those muscles. I couldn’t build up arms like that to save my life. They’re bigger than my head!”

“Took a lot of work to get like this. Protein shakes, thousands of hours of working out… the works.”

“You were always at the gym or just heading there or something,” Patrick added. “I remember when you played football you went from about Roger’s size to that in about what, a year?”

“Thereabouts. A, high school. Those were some years, huh, boys? Met my Emily there. You guys are all invited to the wedding next year, by the way.”

Sid cleared this throat. “Thanks, Derek. I know Rog and I’ll be there.”

Jerry nodded. “I sure will be. I remember her from school, sweet girl.”

“That she is. She liked you guys a lot too. I’m really glad we reconnected, Jerry.” He raised his glass to toast. “To putting the past behind us and moving on to happier times.”

“I’ll second that one.” Patrick appended.

“Hey, Sid, have you heard anything back from—what was his name? Smith? Anything from Lipman?” Jerry asked.

“Not really. Got a letter the other day that just said what he told us, just a lot longer.”

“What do you think about all of it?”

“Kid… I’d rather cross that bridge when I come to it. I have no intention of selling this farm. Though it’s a tough life, I ain’t trained to do anything else. I’d be kinda useless otherwise.”

Roger shook his head. “Nonsense. You’d make a great mechanic. You’re very good with your hands.”

Sid kissed his husband. “Yes, but what about being a mechanic?”

Jerry laughed aloud as he watched his two friends kiss again. “Augh… newlyweds.”

The moment passed and the five men sipped more wine and water and let their dinner digest. Derek was the one to break the silence. “So, Patrick. Jerry says you’re a lawyer now?”

“Well, almost. I graduated law school, but I haven’t taken the bar exam yet. That happens end of July, so just six weeks to go.”

“Are you nervous about it at all?” Roger asked.

Patrick shook his head. “Not one bit. I know I’ve learned everything I could and I feel ready. I’ll tackle it like I’ve handled all of college, like a lion going after its prey. Fighting Irishman they called me.”

Jerry smiled. “It suits you perfectly.”

“Well, I had reasons to fight as hard as I did. I flew through college in three years, law school took three years. I’m here. I’m done with school, I just want to start my life.”

Sid leaned forward. “So how about you, Derek?”

“Well, after high school I thought about college, but I didn’t know what I wanted to take. Why waste the time and money? So, I stayed here and worked in fast food. I hated it.” He grimaced. “I much prefer what I’m doing now.”

“Do you think you’ll ever go off to college?” Sid asked.

“Maybe. I think Mr. Baker wants me to go. He’s a good old man. He said he’d see what he could do about helping with tuition for me too.”

“Nice!” Roger exclaimed.

“I think so. So, until then. I’m your neighborhood farm goods clerk.”

“Sounds good enough to me,” Jerry commented.

Patrick sipped his wine. “So, um, Roger? You’re not from around here originally, are you? If I may ask, what’s your story? How did you end up in Hawkinsville?”

Roger dabbed his mouth with his napkin and sipped some water. “Well, about eighteen months ago some desperate farmer placed an ad for help in a store. I saw it and called asap, and here I am. I’m not from this country at all, I’m from Canada actually. My folks are still stuck up there in the frozen north.”

“So what brought you here?” Derek questioned.

“Oh, a guy I met online that I thought I had feelings for, but he abused them, and me. I’d moved down here for him and though he was the biggest mistake of my life, it led me to the good part later on. I met Sid and that was that. I’d found my new home. I knew it the moment I laid eyes on him.”

Sid winked at his husband. “I knew it too, just didn’t say anything.”

“Stubborn as ever,” Roger replied, shaking his head. “Reminds me of somebody else.” His eyes went right to Jerry.

Jerry pretended to be surprised. “Who, me? Nah, I know I’m a pain in the ass, but wow, I think I’ve gotten better.”

“Damn right you have,” Sid stated with conviction. “You’re not that drunken slob just asking for a fist fight for exercise anymore.”

“Hell no. I’m done with the firewater.” He picked up his water and sipped it. “Too bad, that wine looks awfully good.”

“Not a damn sip…” Roger warned.

“Easy, doggie. Down, Rog, down. Wow, Sid has fired you up for sure,” he teased.

“Caring about someone does that to a person,” He explained.

Jerry caught Patrick’s eyes. “Yes, it does.” He reached for his ex’s pale hand and was relieved when he took it in his long, slender fingers and kissed it softly. It felt so good to hold his hand again.

He tore his attention away to the lovely flower, still on its side on the counter. “Oh shoot, does that need to be in water? I bet it does…” He stood up and plucked an empty jar from the trash barrel and rinsed it out, then refilled it with fresh water, and plopped the flower inside. "There. Much better.”

Sid patted his stomach. “Excellent dinner if I do say so myself. Shall we go outside, gentlemen? Our dogs are likely missing us too.”

Roger stood, as did the others. “Yeah, let’s go soak up this last week of springtime.” They walked outdoors and sat on the porch. Sid and Roger were in front, flanked by Derek. Jerry crouched behind them, joined by Patrick next to him. Caesar and Sheila trotted over to their masters and were greeted with kisses and hugs.

“Guys, this is my dog Caesar, he’s a collie mix. Best friend I ever had ‘til I met Rog,” Sid explained.

Patrick let him sniff his hand. “Nice to meet you, boy.” He passed the sniff test and stroked the dog’s long hair.

Roger picked up Sheila and turned to Derek. “This is my little girl, Sheila. She’s a Yorkie terrier and like my own child. I adopted her when I was staying with that guy I mentioned before.” He kissed her coat. “She was the only thing keeping me going sometimes.”

Derek held out his hand. “She’s so cute. It’s good to see they get along.”

“It’s a blessing for sure,” Sid stated thankfully. “They don’t nip at each other or anything.”

Jerry leaned forward and hugged Caesar. “Hey, boy. How you doing?” The dog licked his face lovingly, and he just laughed. “I love these dogs. They’re terrific.”

“They have good taste in people.” Patrick spoke quietly into his ear. He put his arm around Jerry slowly, so as not to alarm Caesar.

Roger handed Sheila to Derek, who cradled her like a baby doll. “Can’t wait to hold a kid in these arms someday, once Emily and I get hitched. She’ll make a great momma.”

Jerry patted his friend’s shoulder. “You’d make a great dad, Derek.”

“Thanks, Jerry.”

Patrick slipped his hand into Jerry’s and they held on tightly. “Can we go talk?” he asked quietly.

Jerry nodded and they stood. “We’re going for a walk.”

“Enjoy,” Sid replied without looking their way.

 

The evening was warm and the sky was clear as could be. A few stars glimmered in the darkening sky, as well as the nearly full moon. Jerry glanced up at this ex, err, his friend, Patrick. His hand felt so strong and warm, he didn’t want to let go. Not ever again. He couldn’t believe the turn of events that had brought him back, but whatever they were, he was grateful.

“Did you like dinner?” he asked nervously.

“Very much. Thanks for inviting me.”

“You’re welcome. I know Derek was looking forward to it too. He wanted to catch up on how you were.”

Patrick kissed his hand. “I’m doing much better now. Thanks to a lot of help.”

Jerry slowed his pace and stepped in front of Patrick. “I suppose your folks had a lot to do with that, didn’t they?”

“Yes. They helped me a lot, set me up with some other helpers and tutors. That’s partly how I got through school so fast. They helped me to focus my feelings into school instead of my… other emotions at the time.”

Jerry’s voice lowered. “I know you were very upset when you left, that day in the barn.””

Patrick released his hand and put his arms around the blond. “Not just you, it was partly your friends’ fault too. I think they’d brainwashed you so much you didn’t know what to believe.”

Jerry backed away. “I should’ve believed the man I was in love with over them. Every time. You should’ve won, not them. But I was too high or drunk to reason it out.” He looked into Pat’s handsome face. “Too weak I guess. Too… stupid.”

Patrick put his finger over Jerry’s lips. “Not stupid. You were never that. Not ever. You were bored and pulled in by their offer of friendship, plus I wasn’t there as much as I should’ve been either. The point is, it happened, Jerry. We can get through our past and move forward or dwell on it forever. I choose the first option. I want you in my life, even if it’s just as friends, but I can’t… I won’t let you out of my life again.”

Jerry pulled the man to him; and they hugged warmly. “I promise you that I’ll be in your life. I won’t run away.”

“Thank goodness.” He kissed Jerry’s hair. “I’ll be here whenever you need me to be, I promise you that.”

“I’m glad,” Jerry replied, his arms not wanting to let go of the redhead, but he finally managed to pull himself away. “I enjoyed tonight.”

“So did I.”

They strolled to the sunflower field and stood in silence, watching the sunny faces on the flowers fade away with the setting sun. They looked into each other’s eyes for a moment as the dusk turned to darkness. They hugged once more and made their way back to the house.

 

“Hey you two, it’s getting late. We were about to get the flashlights to look for you,” Sid admonished in his usual manner.

“We’re fine, we made it back alive.”

Derek stood. “Well, I’ve got to vamoose. Emily just texted me. I’ll see you guys around town.”

Jerry hugged him briefly. “Night, Derek. Glad you could make it.”

“Me too, Jerry. Great dinner, guys.” He shook Sid and Roger’s hands.

“Derek. Pleasure seeing you again,” Roger added.

“You too.” He turned to Patrick. “Good seeing you again.”

“Thanks, Derek. You too. You were always one of the good guys at school.”

“So were you and Jerry. Glad you’re back in town. We should all shoot darts sometime over at our house.”

Patrick grinned. “I’d like that. Thanks.”

Jerry nodded. “Definitely. Get y’all in cricket for sure.”

Derek laughed and shook Patrick’s hand. “Take care guys, see you around town. Night, doggies.”

“Night. Tell Emily hello,” Jerry called after him.

“I will.” He walked off into the darkness to his car. The truck pulled away and out of sight down the road.

 

Sid yawned and put his arm around Roger. “You heading to your place tonight, Jerry? Or staying with us again?”

Jerry paused. “I think I’ll head to my house. I have some old food to throw out anyway. Maybe I can toss a wall or two into the trash can,” he mused.

Patrick raised a brow. “How extensive is the damage at your place?”

“Bad enough that I don’t know how to fix it. But it’s been my shack for six years now, almost seven. I come over here every day. I eat here or at the diner most of the time. I get by.”

Roger scoffed. “Barely.”

Jerry scowled. “Alright, it’s a shithole. What can I say?”

Patrick twisted his lips, a sign he was deep in thought. “How about we make a deal together?”

Jerry fairly shuddered, either from nerves or excitement, he couldn’t discern which. “What?”

“Well, that house I inherited from my Uncle, it was in shoddy shape, but it’s almost all brand new now. My dad took care of all of that, I know nothing about that kind of stuff. He let me help a few times, but I found out I have no talent for home improvement.” He chuckled to himself and continued. “Could you take living there while it’s being finished up? It’ll only be a couple more days, tops.”

Jerry considered the question for a moment. “You’re not living there already, are you?”

“In the next day or so I will be, yes. I’m home, studying for the bar; no real concentration to pack up and move while I’m doing that. My Dad handled everything with the contractors, though their work’s nearly done, I think he said tomorrow the inspector’ll be by and the painters need to finish, but that’s it. ”

“So, what’s this deal exactly?”

“My offer to you is to live in the house. It doesn’t have to be a shared bedroom yet, it can be the basement even. We can take this however you want. It’ll be a shared roof, and kitchen, but not everything, not until you’re ready.”

“Pat…”

“Plus you’ll have a brand new kitchen to break in.”

Jerry felt his heart warming, his brain mulling over Patrick’s words. “Hmmm. Interesting and highly tempting offer. Is it livable the way it is now?”

“Yes. Everything on the main level’s new. We’re thinking of putting in a pool table in the basement, and just doing some painting all over.

“What about the basement?” Sid asked.

“That’s in great shape. New floors just went in, and they painted the bedroom down there a couple days ago.”

“Is it nice?” Jerry asked.

“Very nice. The bedroom has a big closet and windows, The mechanical stuff’s all in one corner, away from it. It also has a brand new full bathroom.”

Jerry’s brows went up as he thought it over. “I doubt I could get rid of my place at all, it’s a dump. Better to burn it down.”

“What do you owe on it?” Roger asked.

“Damn, I’d say just maybe a couple thousand left. I bought it for ten thousand six years ago. The value that’s there is mainly for the land. The house itself is worthless. Hell, not even that Lipman guy would want my land. It’s pretty useless.”

Patrick put his hand on Jerry’s shoulder. “Then why not sell it? Get what you can for it. Tear the house down if it’s going to hurt its chances, but the land itself has value.”

Jerry glanced up at his friends. “What do you guys think?”

Sid rubbed his broad chin. “I’d say I’d be thrilled to take a sledgehammer to the place. One good swing ought to do it. Do you even own anything in there?”

“Not really. Most of my stuff was from dumpster diving. Except the mattress. That’s the one thing I do own, and that’s shot as it is.”

“I’d do it,” Roger commented. “If it were me. You’ll have a space all your own in a functioning house. Solid walls and roof. That shanty of yours has to go.”

Patrick locked eyes with Jerry. “Well? What do you say?”

Jerry nodded confidently. “Alright, what the hell. It beats all the rats and bugs at my place. You don’t have any of those, do you?”

“No, they swept the place clean. If there were any, they’re long gone. Even the basement’s clean as a whistle.”

“Alright then, why not? I could use a decent place to hang my hat. Damn, I’ll need to buy some stuff though… I can buy some food for myself, but my bills are piled up. If my truck hadn’t been repo’d, I’d be in deep trouble.”

Sid piped up. “Leave that to us.”

Jerry shook his head. “But…”

“No buts, Jerry. It’s not a lot of money, and it’s not like we’re buying you a ton of stuff. Just enough to get on your feet again. You need clothes and food.”

“But…”

“Shhh. Don’t you listen? I said no buts. You saved his life, not to mention Sheila’s.”

“But the teeth…”

“Hush!” Sid commanded. “No more of this. We’re getting you some stuff to start off with and that’s that.”

Jerry fell speechless. He threw his arms around Sid and hugged him tight. “I’ll pay you back one of these days. You know I will.”

“In time, kiddo. In time.”

He hugged Roger too, and turned to Patrick next. “Thank you.”

Patrick kissed his head. “Come see the house tomorrow when you’re off work. I’ll show you around.”

“I look forward to it. Thank you, Pat. I… don’t know what to say except thank you. I don’t deserve…”

“Shhh. Stop that kind of talk, boy or I’ll tape your mouth shut,” Sid warned half-jokingly.

“It’s late, and I’ve got studying to do. I’ll see you tomorrow night. I can bring us dinner at the house. Say around six o’clock?”

Jerry smiled. “See you then… oh… how will I get…”

“I’ll pick you up here,” Patrick offered.

“Alright then. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Sid shook Patrick’s hand. “Good night, Patrick.”

“Good night, Sid.”

Roger followed suit. “Have a good night.”

“You too, Roger.”

“I’ll walk you to your car,” Jerry offered.

“I’d like that.”

They walked hand in hand to the car and lingered for a moment. “You don’t have to do this to win me back…”

Patrick stopped short in his tracks, his expression halfway between hurt and surprised. “Win you back? By making that offer? Jerry… is that what you think this is?” he replied, his tone low.

Jerry rubbed his face, attempting to quell his nerves, but failing miserably at it. “I don’t know what to think. I still want to know what you see in me after I hurt you that badly.” He couldn’t even face his companion.

Patrick tipped his chin up to face him. “I see the same thing I’ve always seen, Jerry. The man I gave my heart to all those years ago. My feelings were hurt, yes. Very badly. I didn’t want to see the light of day sometimes, but I fought through it. I knew who you were on the inside, and I knew you’d been poisoned by those jerks. You’re who you’ve always been to me—Jerry Evans. A sweet, funny guy who had me at hello that very first day we met in school. I won’t give you up for anything.”

The tall redhead craned himself down and kissed Jerry’s cheek softly. “Pat…”

“Tomorrow, okay? Sleep well, Jerry.”

“You too.”


 

Chapter Eight

In the sweet relaxation following a long work day, Jerry looked up from his spot on the front steps and saw Patrick’s car pull up in the long, gravel driveway. He kissed Sheila and put her down, yelling to his friends, “Pat’s here, see you guys tomorrow!”

Roger appeared in the doorway. “’Night, Jerry. Have fun.”

Jerry tossed his hair to the side. He glanced at his tall redhead and then back at Roger. “I will, soon enough I hope.” He winked and hugged his friend goodbye. “’Bye, Sid!”

The farmer appeared in the doorway alongside his husband. “See you later, kiddo.”

Jerry fairly ran over to the waiting man and greeted him with a long hug and a light kiss. “Hi.”

“Hey, handsome. Ready to go?”

“Yeah, I’m starved.” When he climbed in, he saw a bag from the diner, already purchased and waiting for them to devour.

“So am I. Let’s go.”

It was only a few minutes to the house, which sat back on a long, tree-lined gravel road. Only the last section was paved, and Patrick parked his car there.

Jerry took in the house’s exterior. The porch was freshly painted, the siding looked cleaner than ever, and the yard was in the process of being re-sodded. It was beautiful. The roof was solid and brand new, as were the gutters. “Nice place. I remember seeing it in pictures when he was mayor.”

Patrick nodded. “It should suit the need, I think. Don’t want or need a mansion. Just somewhere decent to live.” He reached for Jerry’s hand. “Come on, let’s go eat, and I’ll show you the inside.”

“Absolutely.”

In-between bites of sandwich and sipping his iced tea, Jerry’s eyes scanned the room. It was a fairly large family room, with wood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a staircase that wound its way up to the second story. “How many bedrooms?”

Patrick took a sip off his drink. “Three. The master is where I’ll be. The biggest bed’s in there. The second bedroom has a bed, it’s just not assembled anymore. The third was his office.”

Jerry nodded. “Can’t wait to see the basement. I think until we’re together… that’s the best place for me.”

“However you’re comfortable, hon. When we’re done eating, I’ll show you,” Patrick agreed. “So, what do you think so far?”

“I think it’s great. I still can’t believe you’re doing this. Especially for me.”

“Jerry…”

“Sorry. I’m used to people not being able to forget what I did around town. You were lucky enough not to have been here during the worst of it.” He picked at his sandwich and tore off small bites. “I did a lot of things I’m not proud of. A lot of them.”

Patrick cocked his head and ran his hand down Jerry’s arm. “It’s all over now. You’re not that same person anymore.”

“No, but enough people still think I am. The waitresses at the diner and some of the townsfolk can’t even meet my eye. They all look at me as if they’re ashamed of me. That doesn’t exactly help my self-esteem.”

“Derek seems to like you, and he was here the whole time.”

Jerry smiled to himself. “Yeah, now that was a shock too. He saw me spiraling down and he was the one to bail me out. He stopped doing that after a while. I guess he figured I’d never change. I’m lucky that I reconnected with him too.”

“Can I just ask… what do you think was your breaking point with it all? I mean… what made you say, ‘I’m sick of being like this, living this life’?”

Jerry struck a thoughtful pose and rubbed his chin. “Mmm, I’d say when I met Roger and he didn’t know my history, except for what Sid told him. I liked him and wanted to be friends with him. I had no one left in town who’d speak to me. I figured I could start fresh with him. He didn’t exactly take a shine to me right off, especially since I started a bar brawl.” He sighed and took a large gulp of his tea.

Patrick cupped his face. “But you liked him, you wanted to befriend him?”

“Yup. Real bad. When I drove by their house and saw Caesar run out to the road, I knew something was up. I grabbed my gun and drove up as fast as I could. When I saw what I saw… something in me just woke up. I wasn’t scared of the guy or anything. My life didn’t matter to me. Only Roger’s.”

“Does it matter to you now?” Patrick asked, his hazel eyes wide.

Jerry nodded. He felt along the long, slender fingers against his face and wanted to kiss them. “Yes. I decided that night, after they thanked me over and over, that I was done hating myself and everybody else. I wanted to get better and back to the way I was before all that.”

“That’s the first and most important step, Jerry. Wanting to live and love yourself first.”

“I sure don’t hate myself anymore.”

Patrick pulled him into his arms. “That’s the next biggest challenge.”

“My life has been full of those… but I’ve found some good people to help me through the rough times.” He ran a hand through the short, red hair of his friend. “You were the best one, Pat. No one even came close to you.”

“You were a handful, that’s for sure. We were so young. What were we, fifteen? Just kids.”

Jerry kissed his cheek. “Ah, but we had a good time, and you were the nicest guy I’d ever met, well, and Derek too, but he didn’t want me like that.”

They chuckled lightly and sat quietly in each other’s arms. After a long moment had passed, Pat stood and took Jerry’s hand. “Come on, let’s go see the basement.”

“Right.”

 

Jerry studied the lower level carefully, impressed with what he saw. It had hardly been lived in, or at least it appeared that way. As Patrick had described, the bedroom was large and had two windows that managed to let in some light. The rest of the area was large enough for its own living area. . The new toilet, tub, and sink in the bathroom fairly sparkled. It only needed a curtain for the shower and a few other necessities to make it complete.

“Looks very nice. This is already ten times better than what I have now, even unfurnished.” He glanced around the walls. “There’s a few outlets to plug in some stuff. I’m actually excited about this… I wasn’t sure at first.”

Pat crossed his legs and leaned back against the wall. “I know you were, and I don’t blame you for being skeptical of my motives. It’s been a long time, but just hanging out with you lately, I knew you’re getting back to your old self.”

“I’ve been trying my damndest to remember how I was. The booze killed off a lot of brain cells, so you’re hardly hanging out with the sharpest tack out there.”

“Eh. You know farming and how to fix things. Most people I’ve met know only what books tell them. You and your friends have practical knowledge. That’s very valuable. Look at me. I couldn’t paint a wall if I tried. Swing a hammer? Ha! I’d break my fingers. But you could probably raise a wall, plumb a bathroom, any of that.”

Jerry felt himself blush. “I don’t know how to do all that, but I’d try. We got some great plumbers in this town.” He took one last look around. “So, when did you want me to move in?”

“As soon as you’d like. I’m sure Sid and Roger will take you shopping tomorrow to pick up everything you need.”

“Of that I’m positive,” Jerry added. “We can head into town to the big stores, get everything we need in one stop.”

Pat straightened up. “You’ll probably need an extra car. Mind if I tag along?”

Jerry felt his pulse hasten. “Of course I don’t mind. You’re arranging all this, and I really appreciate it. Just make me one promise?”

“What’s that?”

“That you won’t buy anything for me.”

“Jerry…”

“Pat…”

Patrick crossed his arms and sighed. “Nope. This is my house and we’re roomies now. When you get caught up on your bills, then you can contribute.”

“Pat…” Jerry protested weakly.

Patrick took Jerry into his arms and held him tight. “Let us look after you, alright? Working on a farm doesn’t pay much, I know that. Plus your debts. How you managed all this time…”

“I managed,” he rebuffed, weakly.

“Really? I don’t think that worked out too well, did it?”

Jerry met his eyes. “No. I guess not. If I could’ve stayed sober longer than a few hours it might’ve worked out better, but that never quite happened. I’ve never lived with anyone else other than my parents, God rest their souls.”

“They’ve been watching over you this whole time, I know it. They want their son to be happy and well. And cared for.” He kissed Jerry’s hair.

“Pat… do you think people will think we’re shacking up together? I mean we’re in the same house…”

“Same house, but not the same bed. I don’t care what other people think. I came back for you, Jerry. Besides, I’ll be locked up in the third bedroom most of the day studying.”

Jerry felt relieved. “When’s your test?”

“July 31st. I have about six weeks left to go.”

“What happens after you pass it?”

Pat laughed. “If I pass it… it’s a hard exam. But if I do, I’ll be able to practice law.”

“That’d be neat, I think. I never pegged you for a legal eagle.”

“It was a personal choice I made in college. I wanted to do something where I could start my own business, and be able to go anywhere. Especially back home.”

Jerry hugged him warmly. “I’m glad you’re here.”

“Wouldn’t go anywhere else. This is where my heart is. Always has been.”

They kissed softly and pulled back. “I think I’d better get some sleep. Sid and Roger start early in the morning.”

“Call me when it’s time to go shopping. I’ll pick you up at their place.”

“I will. Guess we’d better clean up.” They joined hands and went back upstairs and tossed their leftovers into the garbage bin out front. They climbed into Patrick’s car and he handed his cell phone to Jerry.

“Best let them know the plans.”

“Good idea.” He dialed their number and Sid picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Sid, it’s Jerry.”

“How’s it going, kiddo?”

“Great.” He grinned at Patrick briefly. “Um, I was wondering if I could sleep over at your place and if we could go shopping tomorrow? The place is all set.”

“Is it in good shape?”

“Yeah, it’s real nice. Big bedroom, that’s carpeted already. There was a spare bed that we need to move down here, just need to set it up. There’s chairs already too Just need disposable things, like a shower curtain, soap, things like that. Oh, Pat’s coming along too. He can pick me up when we’re ready.”

“Sounds good to me, kid. Come on by, it’s nearly bedtime.”

“Coming.” He hit ‘end’ on the phone and handed it back. “We’d best go. Don’t want my surrogate parents to wait up for me.”

Patrick laughed. “On our way.”

* * * *

The following morning flew by. After the farm chores were done, and the men fed, they headed off to the big stores thirty miles away.

Jerry unfurled a list he’d jotted down the night before. Roger’s eyes grew wide at the length of it.

“When did you write all that down?”

“Are you kidding? I could barely sleep I was so excited. I swiped some of Sid’s adding machine paper and wrote this out. It’s everything I need. I tried to keep it short so you guys wouldn’t spend an arm and a leg on me, but as you can tell, I need damn near everything that either rot, mold, or bugs haven’t destroyed.”

Patrick patted Jerry’s shoulder. “We’ve got it all covered. No worries at all.”

Jerry bit his lip, holding in the rebuttal that wanted to escape his lips as he decided to accept the help. “Let’s get started.”

 

The next two hours were spent in the aisles of the large retailer in town. Sid and Patrick both pushed baskets and filled them with pillows, bedding, towels, toiletries, clothing, underwear, cleaning supplies, and some food. Jerry’s list was complete. They waited at the register and he leaned against Patrick.

“Thank you again.”

“No worries at all. I’m happy to do it.”

Jerry picked at his buttons on his shirt. “Wonder what your folks would say.”

Patrick laughed aloud. “Jerry, I’m almost twenty-five years old. Whom I live with is none of their business. They know I’ve only wanted one roomie all these years.” He put an arm around his friend and hugged him. “No more worrying, okay?”

Looking at the handsome redhead’s face, he felt like he’d melt right there. “Okay.”

 

After the extensive shopping trip and stopping to buy lunch, everyone gathered back at the old house and unloaded. Sid and Roger set up the new bed while Patrick and Jerry moved in the loveseat they bought for the basement. Several smaller trips were made to retrieve all the other little items they bought. The only items missing were Jerry’s clothes and personal belongings.

Jerry stood back, looking at his newly-made bed with his chosen bedding in bright green. “Looks really nice, guys. I can’t thank you enough.”

Roger patted his arm. “Don’t mention it. I wish we could’ve added onto our place, but you needed your own space. We just didn’t have it.”

“Maybe the barn,” Sid joked.

“Ha ha.” Jerry stepped over and lay down upon the new mattress. “Feels so nice, and smells even better. This is my first queen size bed too. The other one was a full.”

Sid glanced up at Patrick. “Well, just in case you have company in there sometime.”

Jerry sat up and watched Patrick blush. “I just might. We’ll have to see.”

Roger cleared his throat. “I think we’ll be heading out soon. Jerry? You need to get home to pack up?”

He thought over what he wanted to do that day and also how much he didn’t want to leave Patrick’s side. “Yeah, I need to get that stuff, but not just yet. Maybe after dinner.”

“Sounds good.” Roger hugged him goodbye, as well as Patrick. “We’ll see you later. Will you be coming over to our place for dinner?”

Jerry shrugged and was about to speak, but Patrick filled the void.

“I was hoping to have him come see my folks tonight.”

“Oh, well how cool is that, huh? You have fun, hon. See you tomorrow. Call me.”

“I will, Rog. ‘Night, Sid.”

“’Night, Jerry.”

After a final round of hugs were exchanged, the couple left the house and it was just Patrick and Jerry. The tall redhead sat down on the new bed alongside his friend and took his hand.

“Jerry?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, Pat. Ask me anything.”

Patrick laced their fingers together tighter. “Would you be okay with us going out on a date again and maybe being boyfriends again?”

Jerry fairly gasped. “Pat… I’d love nothing better…”

The green eyes narrowed. “But?”

“But, are you sure about that?”

“Jerry… I told you…”

He put his fingers to the soft, mauve lips. “Wait, that’s not what I mean. I mean right now you have an important exam to study for. You have no time to be dating me or anyone else. I want you to focus on that, then we can go on from there.”

“Are you sure?”

Jerry nodded. “I’m sure. We’ve been apart six years, I think it can wait a few more weeks. Besides, you have another guy in mind?” he joked.

Patrick kissed his head. “Not a chance. You’re the one I want.”

Jerry studied the redhead’s face carefully. “So… did you have a lot of boyfriends at school?”

“To be honest, yes. I had a few in fact. Nice guys, all of them.”

“Was there anyone else who could’ve won your heart? I mean, really? I’m sure they were all way better than me.”

Patrick tapped his finger on Jerry’s lips. “Stop that. For your information I only slept with three of them. But not once did I fall in love.”

Jerry felt a lump in his throat. “Not at all? Why not? I was out of your life…”

“But not my heart. Didn’t you read those letters I sent to you?”

“Yes… but in the state I was in I barely read them through. I’d give anything to have them back here right now.” He brushed Patrick’s cheek. “Just so you know, I kept them all.”

“You did?”

“Yes. Why, I don’t know, especially since I was a jackass and didn’t write you back. When it stopped altogether… I thought for sure that was it. I figured I’d dug my own grave and I’d never hear another whisper from you in my life.” He stifled tears. “I went out drinking that night and got so hammered…”

“Why’d you do that?”

“Because I was so stupid! All I had to do was write you back. That was all! But I couldn’t even think long enough to do that. My day was spent getting high and drunk and hanging out with those jackals.”

Patrick held him close. “I think there was another reason, too. That last day before I left town my parents told me about the note they’d written to you. I thought it was mean, but they said it was justified with what had happened. They didn’t like that I wrote to you at all. They said I was wasting my time. I did it anyway.”

Jerry bowed his head, ashamed. “I wish now I could’ve written you at least one letter to let you know everything. How awful I felt and how ashamed I was. And of course, how much I was in love with you.” He kissed Patrick’s cheek.

“So all those other guys… didn’t mean anything?”

“Not even close.”

“Were there a lot of other guys you were with?” he asked gently. “It’s alright, you can tell me, I’d rather you did, actually.”

“Um, to be honest, I don’t know the exact number, but they were all really short-term. They were after one thing only and it sure wasn’t my heart. I’ve been tested for diseases and I’m alright, so I know the man upstairs was looking after me. Plus, I had a box of condoms right there all the time. I tried to make sure they used them.”

“Was it only guys you were with?”

“No, there was at least one girl. We were friendly and got to drinking and that was that. I didn’t really know how to act with a girl, but she led me somehow. Never heard from her after that either.”

“There’s a scary thought. Did you use a rubber with her too?”

Jerry nodded. “She insisted. Didn’t want her to get pregnant or sick.”

Patrick patted his shoulder. “Good move.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“The three guys you slept with, was there someone who fell for you?”

“To be honest, yes. His name was Kenny. Sweet guy, holy cow he was nice. We got along really well in class and started hanging out together. Before too long we became involved and he fell really hard for me.”

“What happened to him?”

“I took him to meet my folks, thinking maybe that would turn the corner. Maybe it was them and not me that couldn’t love him. Nope. They loved him to death, but I still couldn’t.”

“Why not?” Jerry asked innocently.

Patrick ruffled his hair. “Why do you think? My heart still belonged to someone else. I talked about you all the time. He got really tired of it and demanded to know if I could ever love him. I said I wasn’t sure. That was that. We broke up that night and I haven’t heard from him since.”

“Not a word?”

“Not a solitary one. That was back in February. My folks weren’t happy to hear that he left. They got angry with me when I told them why. Then not a week later they told me about the attack, and you being a hero. I pretty much said told you so! I had to come back and find out what was happening. I wanted to know my Jerry was still alive and the same boy I’d given my heart to.”

Jerry felt his face flush as he took his ex-boyfriend’s hand. “I’m sure you hated me…I hated myself! I was the town slut, the drunkard, the druggie…”

“Shhh… you’re not any of those things anymore and to put your mind at ease, I never hated you. Not once. I hated your friends and what they did to you, but I never outright hated you. Ever.” He stroked Jerry’s cheek. “I want to take this slowly, but my feelings are still there, Jerry. But I’ll take this whatever speed you want, so I don’t want to scare you off.”

Jerry pulled himself closer to the man and put his head onto his broad shoulder. “I appreciate that, but you don’t need to worry about that. I think I was more worried I’d run you off again. I won’t lose you again.”

“So what’re we saying here, Jerry? Are you saying that I’m enough for you this time? No more of what tore you from me in the first place?”

He put his hand over Patrick’s heart. “Yes, you’re enough. Hell, you’re more than enough. Your love’s the missing piece of my heart that I thought I’d lost forever. You were enough before, but I’d somehow convinced myself that you weren’t. I’d love to be yours again and take it back to where we were before all hell broke loose. I want to say the love word again and have it mean forever more than anything.”

Patrick kissed him softly. “I agree. I think we’ll both know it very soon, but not yet. I do have these weeks left to study. After that, I’m sure things will calm down and I can properly court you.”

Jerry laughed and ran his fingers through his long hair. “Court me? Good lord, are we in a movie?” he joked.

“No movie, just our lives. Let me court you like I wish I could’ve all this time, Jerry. Will you let me? We’re all grown up now, time to act like adults.”

He looked deeply into the lovely hazel eyes and ran a hand through the short, thick hair. “Yes, Pat. I want to be your boyfriend again, definitely. As for the whole courting thing, I always thought you were quite the gentleman.”

Patrick held his boyfriend close and kissed him softly. “That’s how my parents taught me to be. Speaking of which, we’d best be on our way.”

“I’m really nervous now, knowing how they felt about me. They wanted you to be with Kenny, not me.”

“Well, they’ll just have to accept the truth. I’m with you and that’s that. Mom can swat Dad down when warranted. I promise, they won’t hurt you.”

“I want to be that guy they want for their son. Not the loser I was.”

“You’re not a loser and if I love you, they should accept it. End of story. Come on, let’s head out.”

They stood and, after gathering their items, ascended the stairwell hand-in-hand and locked up the house.

After they arrived at Patrick’s parents’ house, Jerry felt himself tremble a bit, which he tried valiantly to hide.

“No worries, come on.” Patrick opened the car door for him and the two walked to the house, hand-in-hand.

Mrs. O’Leary opened the door before they had the chance to Open it. “Hello, sweetie!” She threw her arms around Patrick and glanced down at him. “Hello, Jerry. Goodness, it’s been a long time.”

He swallowed hard, trying not to let her see his nerves. “Yes ma’am. It sure has.”

“Come inside, have some refreshment before dinner.”

Patrick put his arm around Jerry and led him inside “Don’t mind if we do.” They stepped indoors and helped themselves to sodas. Clomping footsteps were heard as someone descended the stairwell; Jerry nearly dropped his can, which Patrick caught.

“It’s alright hon, it’s alright. No one will do or say anything bad, or they’ll answer to me.” Patrick attempted to quell his nerves.

Jerry looked up and saw Mr. O’Leary, a very stout Irishman if there ever was one. Blazing red hair still remained, even among the gray, but his build was still quite large. He took a breath and in his booming voice, spoke at last.

“Hello Patrick. Jerry. Well, we see you again at last.”

The young farmer felt like he’d drop his soda at any moment, but he held his ground. “Sir. So good to see you and Mrs. O’Leary again.”

“Is it now, lad? I’m hoping you’ve changed your ways before you’ll be with my son ever again.”

His wife rushed over. “Stop that, Shane. You’ll be puttin’ the fear of the Lord into this one again and I won’t have it.”

But the big guy didn’t back down. He crossed his arms and practically stared Jerry down. “You’re a damn lucky sort, Jerry. After being what you were when you tore my son apart.”

Patrick intervened. “Dad, stop. Please? Come on, let’s just go eat.” He reached back and took Jerry’s hand and they scurried to the dining room. They sat alone for a few minutes, their hands clenched together tightly.

“This was a mistake, I knew it.”

“Shhh, he’ll calm down. Just be yourself.”

“I’m trying to, but right now myself is a scared little farmer.”

“If he starts in on you, I swear I’m not coming back. They won’t tell me I can’t see you.”

Somehow this wasn’t a comfort to the nervous Jerry. “Oh shit, don’t tell me they’ve already threatened that?”

Patrick shook his head. “No, but let’s just say they want what’s best for me and they have to really buy into that it’s you again. I know you’ve changed and gotten a real life back, but they have to be convinced of it. I trust you and believe you, and that’s just gonna have to be good enough.”

“I’ll get up my gumption as best I can without offending anyone.”

“Good boy.” He kissed Jerry’s hand.

Jerry sniffed the air. “Dinnertime.”

The couple joined Patrick’s parents at the table. Margaret sat at one end, Shane at the other. His mere presence dominated the table enough that Jerry felt his nerves rise again.

Patrick raised his glass. “A toast. To the memory of my uncle and to Jerry’s rebirth.”

Margaret happily raised hers and cleared her throat until her husband did the same. He did so, half-heartedly. “To rebirth and fond memories.”

They all drank and set the glasses down again. Shane reached for his plate and began filling it with the expansive supper laid out before them. After everyone had passed their plates to be filled, there was another pause.

“First, we give thanks. You know this family prays, Jerry?”

“Yessir. I remember. I do too, just so you know.”

Margaret practically cooed, “That’s wonderful. The Lord helps us in so many ways. I’m sure He helped you out of your situation.”

“Yes ma’am, He did. Very much. That and some wonderful friends too.”

Shane snorted. “Would you be referring to those farmers you work for?”

“Yessir. Sid and Roger. The two best friends I ever could’ve asked for.”

Patrick folded his hands. “Then let’s give thanks.” Everyone folded their hands and said a quick prayer of thanks for the food. Jerry was anxious to dive into his dinner and did so with great zeal once the prayer was finished.

“So, Jerry. We’ve seen the news stories. Just what made you turn your life around?” Margaret asked politely.

“Well ma’am, I was sick of living that way. I was hurting a lot of people and myself in the process. It had to stop. Then I met Roger.”

“Your employer?”

“Not at the time. Just a new face. Anyway, I tried to buddy up to him as best I knew how, but it didn’t go too well at first.”

Shane cocked a brow. “Why were you trying to buddy up to him?”

Jerry swallowed his spoonful of peas. “Because he was likely the only one who didn’t know everything bad about me yet. I figured Sid would tell him some things, but not all of it. He was like a glimmer of hope that someone could see past my horrible appearance and want to talk to me like a human being again.”

Patrick put his arm around his boyfriend’s shoulders. “Thank goodness he did, huh?”

“Well, in a way he did. He didn’t shove me around or anything. I figured that was a good enough start.” He let out a small laugh that relaxed him just a tad.

“So, what made you turn away from this horrid lifestyle?” Margaret chimed in.

He felt Patrick’s arm go around him and gathered his thoughts. “I was tired of it, to be honest. Tired of being the joke, tired of being made fun of and laughed at, thought of as the town whore. All of it. That was no life, that was just… bad. There’s no other word that suits it better.”

Shane put down his fork. “I think she was asking if it was the murder attempt that got you to stop or something before that?”

Jerry nodded. “I’d decided to put this in motion already, yes. About a week before. That’s why I was coming by their farm, to talk to them and ask for their help. I got there in just the nick of time.”

“I’m sure they were grateful you showed up,” Margaret interjected.

“Yes, ma’am. They were. After that I was shocked they wanted me to be at their wedding, but I accepted.”

Patrick stroked his arm. “I bet you did just great as the best man.”

Jerry took his hand. “I was nervous as hell, but I got through it. They neglected to tell me I had to do a speech until it was almost time. They didn’t want me to fret over it in advance, I guess.”

Shane let out a deep sigh. “So, Jerry. You know why we did what we did with you and our Patrick, right? We couldn’t let you near him anymore.”

“Dad, we’ve been over this,” Patrick interrupted.

“No, it’s alright, Pat. I understand that and I don’t blame you, sir.” Jerry continued. “I was in a horrible lifestyle and hooked on all kinds of things.” He glanced at his boyfriend. “Your folks made the right call, sending you away. You’re so smart, college was the best place for you.”

“Did you ever think you’d see him again?” Shane asked.

Jerry felt his stomach tighten and he gripped Patrick’s hand. “To be honest, no. I thought he was done with me forever.”

Patrick ran his fingers over Jerry’s braided hair. “Never. You were always on my mind, just had to move past the hurt.”

“Which was substantial,” Margaret spoke quickly.

“Mom! Guys, quit picking on him. He knows he did wrong, can’t we let it go at that?”

But Jerry found his voice again. “Ma’am, I’ve never been sorrier in my life for how I hurt him…”

Shane shot a look past him and right to his son. “Patrick. I know how you feel, but Kenny would’ve been…”

Patrick balled his fist. “Kenny is not the man I’m in love with! Don’t you get it yet, Dad? Mom? I’ve only loved Jerry, ever. I knew he was a good person when we were together, he just got pulled, rather ripped, away from me.” He kissed his boyfriend’s cheek softly. “I knew that wasn’t him, but he had to get out of it himself and he did. I’m proud to be with him again!”

”Keep a civil tongue in your head, son. You still live here…”

“No I don’t! I have my own house now and I’ve got the best roomie on earth with me.” He kissed Jerry quickly.

Shane nearly rose, but a look from his wife seated him again. “What do you mean? You two… you’re living together?”

“Yes, Dad, we are. And I love it and I love him. Stop interrogating him, or we’re going to leave!” To accentuate his point, they stood and started toward the door, but Margaret stopped them.

“Wait! Don’t leave… you know how we are, Patrick. We love you and want the best for you. If that’s Jerry again, then we’ll be adjusting. Not you.” She glanced at her husband. “Right, Shane?”

The large man grumbled and sighed. “Aye. Sit back down, they’ll be no more questions.”

Jerry and Patrick reseated themselves and sipped on their water. Jerry glanced at Shane again. “I’m a changed person. I’ve got a job, I’m clean and sober, and I have the best friends in the world that help me every day. I want to be the best guy possible in order to let Patrick’s heart back into my care.”

Margaret wiped away a tear. “You still love our boy, don’t you?”

Jerry felt his heart swell. “With all of it, ma’am. I’ve loved him from the beginning, and it’s never gone away.”

Shane snorted again. “Hmpf. You’d better be on your best behavior, Jerry. You hurt him again…”

“Dad…stop,” Patrick warned.

“Trust me sir, I’ve learned my lessons.” Jerry replied confidently.

Patrick hugged him warmly. “As for Kenny, he just couldn’t fill that void.”

“Oh, but he was such a sweet lad…” Margaret interjected.

“But he wasn’t the right one. Jerry’s the right one. Always has been.” He held Jerry close and looked up at his father. “Dad? Do you understand?”

Jerry felt like his heart would beat out of his chest, but tried to keep a calm façade.

“I guess so, son. You always had a big heart. I know Jerry has always had it.”

Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but Jerry thought it would do. He smiled at them and, with Patrick’s hand firmly in his, he stamped down his nerves. “Thank you, sir. I promise you both, I won’t let you down again. Ever.”

Margaret put a hand on his arm. “It’s all we ask, Jerry. You know how special our boy is.”

“I do know, Mrs. O’Leary. I do indeed.” He and Patrick kissed lightly and continued with their dinner. Chit chat was limited, but the rest of the evening passed smoothly.


Chapter Nine

 

Jerry couldn’t remember a time when he was both so busy, yet so happy. After last night’s tense dinner, which had turned out alright after Patrick laid down the law that they were together again and that was that, his father held his tongue. He’d never been so turned on before. But he couldn’t sleep with Patrick, not quite yet. They drove back to the house and said their good nights and kissed and parted for the night. He woke up the next morning, grateful for the smell of fresh paint surrounding him, grateful not be coughing due to mold or rot.

The house itself was nearly complete. He loved the new kitchen and using a stove that actually worked at the set temperature.

He emptied out his house of all personal possessions and called a realtor and the city to come and inspect it. It was promptly condemned and set for demolition. The land would capture a nice price though when sold.

Jerry finally got his own cell phone and he was able to call Derek from time to time. he finally felt a part of the world again, since he had a means of communication. He loved living with Patrick, even though they weren’t in a shared bed yet, but would often cuddle together after the redhead had spent a long day studying. Every Sunday night they’d have dinner with Patrick’s parents. Jerry found he actually looked forward to it. He wanted to prove to them he was better and sober, clean, and decent to their son. So far, so good.

Two days after listing the land for sale, the old shack of a house he’d survived in for six years was taken down in three swings of a sledgehammer. The first from him, the second from Sid, and the third from Roger. He’d never been so happy. Now it was merely a waiting game to see who’d buy the land.

* * * *

July 4th. The entire town would be together for a parade, fireworks, and of course there’d be barbecues. Jerry dialed Patrick’s number as soon as the work day was done.

“Hey, handsome.”

“Hi. How are you?”

“Tired, but good. Getting all that law stuff crammed in your head?”

“Yeah, slowly but surely. Hey, my folks are grilling tonight, you want to go over?”

Jerry laughed. “Wasn’t I already grilled enough? I was just going to ask you over here. Sid and Roger are barbecuing, too.”

“Hmm. Well, I could use some time away from the books. I could head over there and we could go home together.”

“We could do that. I sure wish I had my truck back sometimes, though. I feel like I’m such a burden at times. I wish I wouldn’t have had had it repossessed.”

“You’re hardly a burden. Why do you think that you are? Has Roger or Sid said anything to you?”

His voice lowered. “No. Not really.”

“Then don’t worry about it. You’ll get a car soon enough. Save what you can.”

“I am.” He glanced at his watch. “So… you coming over soon?”

Patrick laughed. “As soon as you hang up with me.”

“Done. See you in a few.”

 

Not twenty minutes later, the tall redhead arrived, and Jerry bounded out to greet him with a long hug and equally long kiss. “Happy Fourth.”

“You too.”

They grasped hands and walked around the barn, where Sid was grilling and Roger had knelt down, petting the dogs. “Hi, Patrick. How’s it going?”

“Good, Roger. You?”

“Can’t complain.”

“And if you did, what good would it do?” Jerry added teasingly.

Sid looked up from the grill. “Patrick. How are you?”

“Good, Sid. Thanks. Mmm, love the smell of barbecue.”

“Oh yeah, he’s the grillmaster for sure. He makes the best burgers I’ve ever had,” Jerry boasted as he pet both dogs. “Hey, babies. How are you? Hmm? Sheila… sweet lil doggie.” He kissed her short snout and held her in his arms. With his free hand he kissed Caesar’s head. “Such a good boy, yes you are.” He heard snickers around him. “What?”

“You ought to adopt a dog, Jerry,” Roger suggested. “You’re so good with animals.” He smiled and kissed the animals. “I’d love to have a dog of my own, when I have the money to take care of one properly. These two do well as surrogates at the moment. Plus we have that bond.”

Patrick put his arm around his boyfriend. “Well, how about we get one after I’m done with my test?”

Jerry put Sheila down on the ground and stared into Patrick’s eyes. “That sounds great to me. I honestly still feel like your roommate. Or a squatter.”

His lips were stopped by Patrick’s fingers.

“You’re not a squatter, and you’re not just a guest. You’re living there… just in the basement for now. Until the time’s right for other arrangements. But your house is gone, Jerry. This is your new home. At least I hope you see it that way.”

“Pat…”

His head cocked and he ran a finger through Jerry’s long locks. “Don’t you like living with me?”

Jerry kissed him quickly to stop any doubts in the man’s mind. “Let’s talk in the barn.”

“Alright. Excuse us, guys.” Sid and Roger waved them off as they left the scene.

 

They stepped into the large, red barn and sat on a wooden crate. Jerry took Patrick’s hand and kissed it warmly. “Let me start by saying that I love living with you, don’t get me wrong. I just want to make sure we’re ready to take that step to a shared bed again.”

“Jerry, I know we’ve been apart a long time, but I wanted to live with you even back then, this has been a dream come true! I lived alone at college, most of the time. I hated being alone. I wanted that special guy in my life to share my home with me and it finally happened. Now I want us to be closer again. Is that good with you?”

Jerry swallowed to moisten his throat. “That’s good with me. That’s very good with me.” He kissed Patrick quickly. Patrick tilted his face up. “We’ve been taking this at whatever pace you need, but know the truth, Jerry. I can’t hold my feelings in like this. I still love you and want more than anything to have you in our bed again. I’ve never stopped loving you.”

He felt his heart nearly beat out of his chest and a smile formed on his lips. “Pat, I’ve always loved you too… always. Damn, I’ve been so afraid you’ll just remember what I did and say forget it, not worth it. I think that’s my biggest fear.”

“That won’t happen, I can promise you that,” he replied confidently. “Those people are out of your life forever. You have far better friends now.”

“But what if I have a relapse?” he fretted as a tear left his eye. “I couldn’t bear to lose you or live through something like that again. I’d never seen you so upset…”

Patrick took his hands firmly. “Listen, we’ll deal with things as they come… but I won’t lose you again. I couldn’t.” He kissed Jerry’s hands and then his lips. “You’re my boyfriend again… I wouldn’t change that for the world.”

Sid’s voice interrupted the moment as he poked his head in. “Oops, sorry. Uh, dinner’s ready.” He ducked around the corner and out of sight again.

Jerry nodded. “Good, I’m starved.” He looked back at Patrick and held him close. “Are you sure this is what you want? That I’m still the man you want?”

“Absolutely. Without hesitation,” he answered without skipping a beat. “Am I still the one you want? Do you still want to be my boyfriend?”

“Yes!” he answered enthusiastically as he threw his arms around him and kissed Patrick passionately. “As for living together, it’s a dream come true. I’ve never wanted anyone else but you, Pat. You only have four weeks until your test, and then we can spend more time together. Things are going to be wonderful, I just know it.”

They exited the barn together and enjoyed the evening of food, fun, and fireworks.

* * * *

The next four weeks flew by for Jerry as every day he’d work at the ranch, and do what he could to help Patrick every night. Harvest came for the sunflowers, but he stashed a few away for himself in his room. The house was complete, and he took it upon himself to help with errands and chores for them while his boyfriend’s nose was buried in his law books. He had just left the kitchen when he saw Patrick emerge from his room and hugged him warmly.

“Tomorrow’s the big day, huh?”

“Yes. I honestly can’t wait for this to be over with, for several reasons.”

Jerry kissed him softly. “What reasons would those be?”

Patrick grinned and held Jerry close. “Well, for one I get to be with you longer than ten minutes a day. I’d get to practice law and put all of this new knowledge to use. The biggest moment of all already happened, well, at least one of them, with us moving in together.” He pulled his boyfriend into his arms and they kissed passionately.

“Pat… do you think maybe after your test…?”

“Yes?”

”It’s time for us to be a couple again.”

The hazel eyes gleamed as he looked into Jerry’s eyes. “Are you sure?”

Jerry nodded and held Patrick’s face firmly in his hands. “Very sure. We’re together again and I want all the good stuff included.” He stuck out his tongue playfully and Patrick captured it in a deep, moist kiss.

“I love you, Jerry Evans.”

“I love you too, Patrick O’Leary.” He ran his small hands over what he could reach of the tall, thin redhead. “I wish we were there tonight, but I’ll wait until you’re done testing and can stay awake. That night will be extra special.”

“What did you want to do to make it extra nice? Maybe go into town and see a movie or an extra nice dinner or…?”

Jerry shook his head and traced his fingers over Patrick’s shirt. “I don’t need anything fancy. All I need is you and me in our bed again. I miss that so much.”

Patrick kissed him again. “Just remember that it’s our house, not just mine. I might be on the deed, but it’s not a home without you there with me.”

“I’ll remember.” He put his ear over his boyfriend’s chest; he loved hearing the heart that had finally healed from his atrocities.

A happy tear left Jerry’s eye. “Damn you’re sweet.”

“You are too.”

 

* * * *

All the next morning, Jerry paced as his nerves had his stomach doing flip-flops. He grabbed a bushel of grain and spread it out in the trough for the cattle to feed, then reached for his thermos of coffee beside the fence post. He poured out a full capful and chugged it quickly. “You can do it, baby. You’re smarter than anyone I’ve ever met.”

“Why thanks, Jerry,” Sid answered smarmily while clapping him on the shoulder.

He nearly spit out his coffee as he whirled around to see the redhead laughing at him. “Shit, you like to scare me half to death, Sid!”

“You getting’ much work done out here frettin’ over your guy’s test like that?”

“’Course I am. Just fed the cattle. Glad I don’t have to concentrate on too much out here. I can let my mind wander at times. Time for a break.” He sat upon the ground and crossed his legs Indian-style. Sid joined him.

“Mind if I have some of the coffee?”

Jerry handed him the thermos. “Help yourself.”

Sid poured out and shot back a cupful of the black, steaming liquid and wiped his mouth with his arm. “Ah. Nothing like fresh coffee. So… things going alright, kiddo? You and Patrick on track again?”

Jerry tilted his head back and glanced at the clear, blue morning sky and smiled. “Yeah, definitely. I tell ya, a year ago if I knew what my life would be like, I would’ve laughed in my own face. I love him so much, all those old feelings are coming back. ‘Course, it’s not like they ever really went away, they were just buried under all the bad stuff. I’m starting to realize I do deserve him again.”

Sid tapped him on the knee. “You do deserve him, you’re a good kid. As for the bad stuff… damn. I remember that. You’d stumble through town and nearly run into me half the time. Victor wanted to bust your ass.”

“Literally or figuratively?” Jerry asked, his eyes wide.

“Eh, I think he had a crush on you for sure. One more secret he liked to keep from me.” He let out a sigh and glanced at his wedding band before kissing it. “Damn, I’m glad Rog came along. I can’t believe I kept that secret from him for as long as I did.”

Jerry patted his friend’s arm. “Well, at least he found a way to get you to tell. I’m glad he came along, he’s a great guy. I love Patrick… no one else. Never could love anyone else, just didn’t feel right. I can’t believe he still had feelings for me at all, but he does. By tomorrow he’ll be done studying and we can start a real relationship all over again.” His face fairly beamed with happiness.

“You look really happy, kiddo. I’m really glad for you. I mean that.” He patted Jerry’s shoulder.

“Thanks, Sid. I appreciate that.”

Sid ruffled the blond hair and stood. He offered a hand to Jerry, which he took. “Time to get back to work. Next week I plant those pumpkin seeds.”

 

A few hours later, Patrick’s car pulled up in the driveway. Jerry ran over to greet him with a kiss. “Hey, handsome. How’d it go?”

“Long, grueling test, but I think I might’ve passed. So much of it rang a bell with me.”

“How exciting! I know you passed. You’re too smart not to have.”

Patrick kissed him. “Thanks, Jerry. Hey, you ready to go home?”

Home. It was such a sweet word, especially now that Jerry knew he wouldn’t be in the basement for very much longer. He longed to be in the updated master suite and in the king-size bed that had just been set up last night. To be with Patrick again in their love nest… made his heart swell and his pulse race.

“Yes.” He looked behind him and saw Sid and Roger standing by their front porch, drinking lemonade. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

“Will do. We need to bust up the ground for your seeds.

“I know it. We’ll do that first thing tomorrow.”

 

The couple drove back to the house and Patrick plopped down onto the sofa and pulled Jerry onto his lap. “Ahhh, no more studying, at least until I get my first case. If I passed.”

Jerry kissed his cheek. “It’s good just to hang out with you again, alone, for longer than a short break.”

“I do concur with that sentiment.” He held his boyfriend close and they shared a quiet moment until their stomachs rumbled.

“Time to go eat dinner I believe.” He whimpered and held onto Patrick tighter. “But I don’t want to get up.”

“Well, not right away.” He gathered the fit blond into his arms and stood, his strong legs and back able to support holding him in a cradled position.

“I like this… feel like you’re gonna carry me over the threshold,” Jerry mused.

“I will, later. Until that time, I’ll carry you out to the car so we can go eat. I’m starved.”

“Let’s go.”

 

Dinner went quickly as the two devoured their selections of pot roast and ravioli. Patrick reached for Jerry’s hand.

“Do you mind if we take a short detour on the way home?”

“Not at all. Where’d you want to go?”

“This is gonna sound creepy, but the cemetery.”

Jerry raised a brow. “Sounds okay to me, I think. It isn’t dark out yet, not too creepy. Who are you visiting… oh! Your uncle. Of course.”

“I wish I could thank him in person for the tremendous gift he gave me, but I don’t mind going to visit him in his final resting place. Do you mind going with?”

“Not at all. Let’s get this bill and get moving.”

The two exited the diner and drove out just past the edge of town to the cemetery. It was an old site, dated back to 1840 and the founding of the town by Patrick’s ancestor, Jebediah Hawkins. They walked through the rows of headstones, some of which were monuments in their own right. Jerry read off some of the names.

“Walker, Sandpiper, Hawkins.” The gravesite of the founder of the town didn’t have the most elaborate headstone, which was typical for the practical man. Old town records proved him to be a simple, straightforward man who wanted the best for his town and was a miser with his money.

“He was a good man, according to my uncle. He’d studied the family records for as far back as he could find. My uncle was a great guy too. He served this town his entire life.”

Jerry nodded. “I remember. He was all about community and what was best for us. He kept out the big farms and corporations as much as he could. Looks like that might end soon, though. Very soon.”

Patrick caught his boyfriend’s hand. “I highly doubt that Sid and Roger would sell.”

“I hope not. I don’t know what else I’d do. This town would cease to exist if they all agreed to whatever they offer.” He laid his head on his boyfriend’s shoulder. “I love the ranch and my friends. I don’t want anything to change.”

Patrick kissed the man’s hair. “Maybe they’ll decide on the other county.”

“I hope so.” He looked hopefully into the hazel eyes. “Pat… if they don’t, and once you can practice, do you think you can do something to help us?”

“I’ll do whatever I can. My dad has friends in the legal profession, as did my uncle. I’d see what I can do. For now, we can just pray they decide on the other county.”

“Definitely.”

They walked further into the cemetery to the mausoleum, which housed the remains of the residents who’d been cremated. Jerry opened the door and spotted his parents’ cubicles right away. He ran his fingers across the raised lettering on the fronts of the cells. “Hey Mom, Dad.”

Patrick put his arm around him gently, which Jerry appreciated. “Can’t believe it’s been almost nine years already. I was only sixteen.”

“Still feels like yesterday sometimes. Did you know my mom was pregnant? She was five months along and really looking forward to it. We all were. It was a girl, too. I would’ve had a baby sister to look after all this time.”

“Did you ever name her?”

“Yeah, I called her Jewel. I figured it went with my name kinda and she would’ve been the jewel of the family. She could’ve kept me on track had she lived. Hell, if they’d all lived.”

Patrick kissed him gently. “I remember that fire. Thank goodness you were out with me or you’d have been killed too. So awful.”

Jerry wiped away a tear. “Yes, it was. You saved my life, in a way. Just by my being out of the house.”

“I’d do anything to save your life, hon. Anything.”

They hugged warmly and Jerry kissed his hand and left a kiss on both cells’ windows. “Love you guys, always.” They departed the mausoleum and rounded the corner. In front of them was a gravestone for a civil war soldier by the name of Paul Yarwick.

“He was a colonel, if I remember.” Jerry tapped into his memory. “Local hero he was. Great soldier.”

Patrick read off the engraved dates. “Hmm, 1813 to1864. Not very old, but from what I heard, he went out in a blaze of glory. It was somewhere here in town, wasn’t it?”

Jerry shook his head. “I’m not sure. After the war, the property lines were redrawn and the town had to be rebuilt. It’d been ravaged by the war.

“Hmm. I wonder.”

“What is it?”

“Well, I think I remember something about a Civil War marker somewhere in this town about that battle where this guy died. You’d think they’d put a marker. They love to commemorate those things.”

“That’s for sure. Damn. I wonder where it could be. Most of the town’s been uncovered for years. You think someone would’ve found it by now.”

“You never know.” He looked to his right at the fresh gravesite where his uncle was buried. He knelt and said a quick prayer. “Miss you, Uncle Buddy. You were a great guy and you taught me so much. How to study well and be patient for the things that really mattered in life.” He took Jerry’s hand. “You remember Jerry… the love of my life?”

Jerry joined Patrick on the ground. “Hi, Mayor Hawkins. We sure miss you around here. The new guy’s awful. Your nephew is the greatest guy ever… thank you for helping him with everything. I love your old house.”

After a long moment, they rose together and held hands. “Ready to go home?”

“Definitely. I’m sure you’re tired after your test today.”

“I am, and I’m sure you are too after a long day.”

Jerry kissed his hands. “Let’s go home and hit the hay.”

“That will be very nice.”


 

Chapter Ten

 

The following morning Jerry was hard at work with the tractor, getting the last ten acres tilled so he could plant. The weather was cloudy, but the wind was calm. Perfect for working. He got nearly to the end when the wheels stuck. He gunned the gas, but it still wouldn’t budge. He hopped out of the cab. “Dammit, what’s the problem?”

The ground was muddy, but that wasn’t the issue. He’d hit something, probably tree roots. The property was lined with old oak trees that dated back nearly 90 years. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed Sid. “Hey… it’s me. The tractor’s stuck, dunno what it hit, but think it’s some roots. Got an axe handy?”

“Yeah, we’ll be out there in a minute.”

“Gotcha.” Jerry put his phone away and kicked at the impeding item with his boot and dug down a few inches into the soft dirt. It seemed to be harder than he thought, maybe rocks? The land wasn’t that high up, why would there be rocks? He saw Sid’s truck arrive and the two men got out. Sid brought over an axe, while Roger wielded a chainsaw and a shovel. “Stand back, kid, we’ll take a look at this.”

Roger tapped on it with the shovel, and it clanked loudly. “Solid, whatever it is. Ever had rock issues here before?”

Sid shook his head. “Not really. Only by the lake. We’re not that far from it ,though. Let’s get a better look.”

They dug down a foot deep and around the object. It was gray in color and hard as granite. Jerry hopped up. “What the hell is this thing, guys?”

“I dunno, but we need to have it excavated. We need heavy equipment for that.”

Jerry panicked. “Can I still plant my seeds?”

“Uh, might have to wait a day or two on that. Until we figure out what this is.”

He shrugged. “Oh well… it’s only a day or two. Got somebody in mind to help?”

Sid nodded. “Yeah, one of the guys in town, that Tim. Dammit. Figures he’d be the only one with the stuff we need here. Jackass that he is.”

Roger sighed. “Are you sure he’s the only one?”

“We could ask around. Come on, let’s go to lunch and figure this thing out.”

“Sounds good.”

 

When they arrived at the diner, the town seemed to have converged on the place yet again, noisier than last time. Tim ran up to Jerry and the others. “I knew it! It’s already started!”

“What has?” Roger asked.

“That damn Lipman corporation. Remember that sweet-talking Mr. Smith? Well, he got to old Jeb. He’s seriously thinking about selling his farm now! He’s talking his neighbors into maybe taking the deal too. This town’s gonna die off because of them!”

Jerry swore under his breath. “Dammit. Well we’re gonna fight this! We’re not caving to their little offer and selling out. This is our town and our farms!”

Sid patted his friend’s shoulder. “Damn right! We’ll pull together and beat them.”

Tim laughed. “Ha! A big company like that? They get whatever they want. We ain’t got a chance!”

“Not if you just give up like that! We can fight this thing.” Roger rallied.

“That’s right. We can’t just roll over and play dead. We have to stop them. I don’t want them to lose their ranch, or any of you to lose a thing. This town needs us!”

Jerry looked back at his friends, and saw two people running their way. Derek and Patrick. He smiled at them both. “Hey! Good to see you two.”

Derek patted his shoulder. “You too, bud. What the hell’s going on?”

“They want to bring the mayor down for bringing in this Lipman company.” He looked into Patrick’s eyes. “They want to bring down the town, Pat! Everything your ancestors built, and they want to buy it up and make it theirs. We can’t let them do it!”

Sid joined them and with one ear covered to block out the din of the mob, he caught the young man’s attention. “Hey, Patrick. How’s it going? Hell of a fine thing to walk into at lunchtime.”

“You can say that again. Let’s all go back to the house. I went shopping this morning. Plenty of food there now. Come on.” He grabbed Jerry’s hand and all five of them drove to Patrick’s house.

 

Jerry and Patrick were waiting for their friends to arrive. As Sid and Roger got out of their truck, Roger whistled low. “Damn. They did a nice job on this place. Can barely remember what it looked like before.”

Jerry nodded. “I love it. It’s perfect. Come on, let’s go inside.”

Sid and Derek sat on the living room sofa and looked around. “Smells great in here, you’d think it’d smell like a paint can.”

“Low fume paint. It’s the same as any other, just not as smelly.” Jerry laughed. “Okay, who wants hamburgers?” The other four men raised their hands. “I’ll go get the grill ready.” He stepped outside and lit the burners on the propane grill and let it warm up. He went back inside and was greeted at the door by his boyfriend. “Hey, handsome. You’ve been busy this morning.”

“Very busy. Hey, anybody in town hiring? I need a job while I wait to hear back on my test.”

Jerry’s mind spun into action. “Hmmm, I wonder if you can help us out with just your knowledge of the law. We gotta fight that Lipman corporation. Can we stop them?”

Patrick shrugged. “I don’t know yet. If they’re hell bent on it, they’ll try their best. I’m just a graduated law student, versus their seasoned legal team. I hope it won’t come to that”

“Me either. Right now, I think we need to make lunch for us and our friends, sound good?”

“Definitely.”

Patrick finished fashioning the burgers and handed them to Jerry to grill. Within ten minutes they were finished and looking fantastic. They sat at the new dining table and devoured their meal.

Sid chowed down his burger and caught Jerry’s eye. “I know what we need to get done first, that chunk of stone or whatever it is in the field has to be removed.”

Jerry nearly choked. “That’s right! It’s holding up the planting of my pumpkins. What about Tim? Or dare you ask…?”

“I’m not keen on asking that jerk. There’s gotta be someone else.”

Derek joined in. “What’re you jawin’ about?”

“We found a large mass of something hard in the field. Feels like stone or just a big rock.” Roger filled him in.

“Hmm. I wonder,” The clerk tapped his fingers on his beard.

“What is it, Derek?” Jerry asked.

“Well, we’ve got some equipment you could rent out, or the hardware store could. You don’t have to go to Tim to get it removed.”

Sid looked at Jerry hopefully. “Really? That’d be great! Can you set that up? We can hook it on my truck. Hell, it’s a super-charged engine. Great for excavating or towing.”

“I’ll set it up and Hell, I’ll use these muscles for something. I’ll help you dig around it.”

Jerry slapped him on the arm. “Thanks, bud! Appreciate that. I really wanna plant those seeds.”

Patrick cupped his face. “We’ll get it all straightened out, Jer. Now, in the meantime, I need to get some research done on exactly what they want to do to this town. Check out that Mr. Smith too.”

The men nodded.

“Alright, well, Derek, are you tech-savvy at all? I need to hook up my computer and go to work.”

“Yeah, I can help you out.”

“Excellent. Alright, gentlemen. Down to work we go.”

They cleaned up the dishes from lunch and while Derek and Patrick set up the computer, Jerry, Sid, and Roger partly watched and party hypothesized on what the object could be.

 

The following morning, the three farmers arrived to Derek’s store. He had an industrial set of chains and a winch for them to rent. Sid looked the items over.

“This should do it. You ready to go with us?”

Derek nodded. “Yup. The other clerk just got here, so I’m free to go.”

Jerry scooted in closer to Sid so Derek would fit in the cab. “Let’s go figure out whatever this is.”

“Oh hey, how was the first night at the house, just the two of you?”

“It was great, but nothing really happened. We’re taking things slowly and plus he was doing research half the night.” He groaned. “Ah, to be the boyfriend of a lawyer.”

“Is that like being with a doctor?” Sid wondered.

“I guess so. Probably home just as much or as little, as the case may be,” Derek answered.

“Either way it doesn’t matter to me. I got him back, and that’s what counts. My prayers were answered. He’s the love of my life and wow, am I damn lucky he didn’t fall for anyone else.”

“No one?”

“Nope.”

“Now that’s devotion,” Derek commented.

“Bigtime,” Sid added.

“I’m damn lucky and very happy.”

Derek side-hugged him. “I’m glad. I really am.”

“Me too, buddy,” Sid appended.

 

They reached the ranch and drove out to where the item was. Roger was already waiting for them, shovel in-hand. Sid and Derek set up the winch and chain, while Jerry tapped at it with a spade.

“I don’t think it goes down too much further, guys.”

“We’ll see in a minute.” Sid climbed into the truck and after Derek wrapped the chain around the object, he gunned the engine and it moved, only slightly, but it did budge.

“Try it again.” Roger advised.

It moved a little more. Derek jumped in and started to clear away the dirt from around it.

“One more time, Sid,” he ordered.

The object rolled over, exposing its true size. Jerry felt along the surface. “Damn, what is that? Granite?”

Derek touched it as well. “Sure feels like it.”

Sid joined them. “Now we need to pull it out.” He hooked up the right attachment and got back into the truck. The object finally cleared its hold and landed atop the field. All four men looked at it.

“Almost like someone poured cement and dumped the rest of the load here.” Roger guessed.

Derek rubbed his bearded jaw. “That’s possible… but not being granite. This had to be cut out. You don’t find boulders of granite around here. Not like that.”

“Not real likely, that’s for sure,” Sid commented. They used a piece of lumber to roll it to its flat side. It settled upright and they saw an engraving on it. “Hey, check this out. It looks like a sign or something.”

Jerry brushed off the dirt with his smaller fingers. “What the…?” He brushed away more dirt and could make out words. He made out the name Paul Yarwick, and gasped aloud. “Omigod! It’s that colonel!”

Sid gave him a perplexed look. “What colonel?”

Jerry ran to the truck and plucked a paintbrush from the tool box and whisked away the rest of the dirt and the message finally appeared. “In September, 1864, a Confederate Army under Col. Paul Yarwick was defeated near Kansas City. He retreated south, crossed into Kansas, and camped at Trading Post. Early on the morning of September 25, Union troops forced him from this position, and a few hours later the Battle of Silver Creek was fought over these fields. Confederate forces were thrown into confusion as they tried to cross the steep, slippery banks of the stream. In the close fighting on the bottoms, hundreds of Rebel soldiers were captured. The defeat was decisive enough to end the threat of a Rebel invasion of Kansas. About 5,000 men were engaged in battle, one of the larger battles in Kansas.”

Derek clapped him on the shoulder. “We have to tell Patrick about this.”

“Definitely.” He pulled out his cell phone and with one button push called him. “Hey, handsome. Can you come out to the ranch? We found something!”

“What is it, Jer?”

“It’s a big piece of granite with a carving on it about a Civil War battle.”

“I’ll be right there!”

 

Not ten minutes later, Patrick arrived and Jerry ran up to greet him with a kiss and a hug. “Come check this out.”

He led him to what they’d found and Patrick ran his fingers along the engraving. “Very cool… I guess you never planted out this far, Sid?”

“Nope. Never had reason to. You can thank your boyfriend for helping to find it.”

Jerry blushed. “Aw… it wasn’t me. If you guys wouldn’t have let me work these acres, you’d have done it yourselves.”

Patrick kissed Jerry’s hair. “It doesn’t matter now, it’s found, and that’s what counts.”

Roger broke into the chat. “So, what do we do with it now?”

“We tell the city. It’s their marker. Maybe do a land survey.”

“Hey, will this help us at all with those morons who want to buy us out?” Sid inquired.

“Anything is a help at this point,” Derek observed.

Jerry knew the tone… it wasn’t good. “What’d you find out?”

Patrick gathered the men together into a huddle with his long arms “Guys, they’re sending an appraiser in tomorrow to estimate the value of these ranches and farms.”

Sid cursed under his breath. “Dammit. Roger and Jerry and I have poured our sweat into this place! I ain’t giving’ it up nor will I grow some corporate moron’s whatever they want.”

“Damn right!” Roger agreed, taking his husband’s hand. “We’ve got too much invested to let this happen to us.”

“We need to find a way to save the town. First stop should be the newspaper, I think,” Patrick surmised.

Jerry’s mood lightened. “That’s it! Once they see the publicity this is gonna bring, it’s gotta mean something at least.”

“Well, we won’t know sitting around here.” He took Jerry’s hand firmly into his. “Let’s get some attention on this, right away!”

“Definitely.”

They headed to the newspaper and within an hour, the field had a reporter in from the paper, his photographer, and a bunch of nosy townspeople looking on at the discovery of the marker. Sid and Roger were peppered with questions. Jerry tried to answer them too.

“When’d you find it?”

“About what, two days ago?” Sid asked Jerry.

“Yes. I was clearing the field to plant my seeds, and I couldn’t finish this last part. We had to rent some heavy equipment to get it out.”

“How’d you finally do it?”

“With a winch and a lot of strong arms. I think it’s pure granite,” Roger answered.

The reporter walked over and put his hand on it. “It sure is. I have granite at home. Have you asked a historian to come in? Verify the marker?”

Derek nodded. “Yessir. Called the university and they’re sending one down tomorrow.”

“What do you make of the fact that an appraiser is coming around to the farms and pricing out the land for potential buyouts?”

Roger stepped forward. “Bring ‘em on. We’re not selling, bottom line.”

“They can’t make us leave, can they?” Jerry wistfully asked Patrick.

“No, but they can sure sweeten the deal and make it hard to resist.”

“No… Pat, we gotta stop this from happening.” He made fists with his hands and felt his anger rise. He’d just gotten his life back together, he didn’t want it torn apart now.

“This land is likely worth something more because of that marker and we’re gonna find out once and for all,” Jerry added.

The reporter put away his notepad and faced his photographer. “Did you get a good picture of the marker?”

“Sure did.” He glanced at the gathered crowd. “What’s your next move?”

“We’re going to fight this. We’re certainly not selling out! This interview is over.”

The reporter flipped his notebook shut. “Thank you for your time, gentlemen.”


Chapter Eleven

 

 

City hall was not an impressive building by any means. The first Mayor Hawkins saw to that. It was his style—practical, not fancy. It was a plain brick building on a stone foundation. It was barely large enough to hold the current staff, but it sufficed for now. Patrick and Jerry approached the Mayor’s office and were instructed to wait in the meeting room.

Jerry leaned into Patrick. “What do you think he’ll do?”

Patrick ran his finger across Jerry’s pale cheek and looked into his eyes. “I don’t know, darlin’… but I think we’ve got leverage.”

The door opened and the Mayor himself stepped inside, Michael Lumly. He was a short man, perhaps a full head below Patrick’s height. He was balding, had a paunch, and wore thick glasses. He looked more like a ratty salesman than a Mayor.

“Gentlemen.” He took a seat across from them.

“Sir,” Jerry answered quietly.

Patrick leaned in to correct him. “It’s your honor, actually.”

“Hmpf. I don’t have any honor for him.” Jerry shot back.

The Mayor looked at him for a short moment, then sat down. “Seems we have an issue.”

“Yes, I’d say we do.” Jerry shot back. “You brought that company in to buy us out!”

“The Mayor stiffened. “This town needs a change. I knew that a long time ago. Mr. Smith is an old friend of mine.”

“Really? How surprising is that.” Patrick remarked.

“They’ll improve this tiny town and turn it into a real spot on the map!”

Jerry rolled his eyes. “Improving it? By buying our land and leaving us without jobs or a town? Forget it!” He tapped Patrick’s arm. “Your uncle knew what they really wanted, that’s why he fought them off for so long.”

“Exactly.”

The Mayor leaned forward. “Uncle? You’re…”

“Patrick O’Leary, your honor. My mother is Margaret Hawkins.”

“I’m sorry for your loss.”

Jerry held back a laugh. “I’m sure you are. You did the one thing an honorable man would never do, and that’s sell us out!” he yelled accusingly.

Patrick put his arm in front of Jerry to hold him back. “Your honor, we know the consequences of everything and we don’t want them to happen. We’d like to have our discovery examined and verified.”

“Verified?”

“We believe it to be a Civil War marker. It was found on the property of Sid Rosen and Roger Laramie.”

The Mayor wrinkled his nose. “Oh yes. Them.”

Jerry shared a look with Patrick that was equally disgusted with the obvious dislike of their friends. “I’m their helper, by the way.”

“Hmpf. Figures. You work on some dippy ranch with those two. From what I’ve read about you, Mr. Evans… I’m shocked anyone would hire you at all. You haven’t exactly got a sterling reputation.”

Patrick stood up, but Jerry stopped him. “Your Honor… and I use that term loosely. I’ve already been through hell, and I’m in recovery. I’m drug and drink-free and have been for months. I’m sick to death of my past following me around like a nipping puppy at my heels. Yes, I had issues, but they’re going away now. I’ve been a steady worker on that ranch for months and I won’t let it be taken away!” He slapped his hand on the table to emphasize his point, before he left the room in a huff.

 

He felt a warm hand on his shoulder and saw his boyfriend’s handsome face beside him. “It’s alright, we’ll get this figured out. No one’s taking that ranch, and more importantly, people are going to start respecting you more, like they have been so far. Your past is gone. What matters is how you are now.”

Jerry felt a surge of warmth go through him as he heard the comforting words. He drew himself into Patrick’s long arms and held on.

“Mr. Evans? Mr. O’Leary?”

It was the Mayor again.

“Yes?” Patrick asked.

“I’ll do all I can. Maybe this isn’t the bargain he pitched to me either. That’s all I can promise.” He clapped Jerry’s shoulder and walked off down the hallway and out of sight.

“Will wonders never cease?” Jerry whispered.

“Come on. Let’s go home and wait for some news. They’ve got our info.”

Jerry took Patrick’s hand into his and held on tight. “Let’s go.”

 

The couple headed home and called up Sid and Roger on speakerphone. “Hey guys.”

“Hey. How’d it go?” Sid asked.

“Well, after we traded insults with each other, things calmed down and he promised to do all he could.”

“That’s good though, isn’t it? But, what do we do in the meantime?” Sid asked.

Jerry saw Patrick shrug. “Uh, I guess we play along until we know what’ll happen.”

“There’s nothing we can do legally?” Roger joined in.

“They’re not doing anything illegal. My hands are tied right now, fellas. I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault, Patrick. We’ll deal with these weasels,” Sid assured him.

“Damn right we will,” Jerry answered, and took Patrick’s hands.

“Well, we gotta get back to work, dinnertime will be here before too long,” Roger added.

“Sid?” Jerry interjected.

“Yeah?”

“When can I plant my seeds?”

“We’ll do it tomorrow. We’ll skip that area, but I know we have to get those in the ground. We’ll do it bright ‘n’ early, kiddo.”

Jerry grinned. “Sounds good to me. See you then. Right now we’ve gotta chill out and settle in. Maybe get lost in some wonderful dream and forget about all of this for a while. Night, guys.”

“Night.”

Patrick hung up the phone and let out an exasperated sigh. “Such a mess.”

Jerry gathered him into an embrace and held him tightly. “We’ll do alright, so will they. They’ll keep those jackasses from buying the ranch. Sid’s dealt with a smooth-talker before, he can handle it better than anyone.” He ran his fingers over Patrick’s broad chest and fingered the buttons on his shirt. “Hey, Pat?”

“Yeah?”

He gathered his thoughts and looked into the lovely green eyes just above his head. “I wanted to know, when you wanted to take things to the next level… I mean… I’m ready if you are. I want us to get back to as good as we were before. Maybe even better.”

“I’d like that a lot, actually. I’ve loved taking things slowly with you, seeing if we still have that spark, and I’d say we do. I didn’t want to rush into things after such a long absence…”

“Which I caused. I made you leave town,” Jerry practically whispered.

Patrick cupped his boyfriend’s face. “Shhh, no more of that. What’s done is done. You fell in with the wrong crowd. You did things you’re not proud of, I know that. I’m very glad that’s all over with and you’re still the same young man I knew when I was deeply in love with you before.”

“But I’m not the same man I was,” Jerry interrupted. “I’ve been an ass, a druggie, an alcoholic, and slept with people I barely knew… I was the joke of the town. To most people I still am. They’ll never see me as anything else.” He sighed. “Your parents were so smart to hide you from me. I hated myself more than anything.”

“It’s all over now, I’m here and I’m going to stay, for as long as you want me.”

Jerry smiled and wrapped his arms around the Irishman’s waist. “I’ll always want you. I’ve loved you this entire time, I just didn’t love myself.”

“Do you now?” Patrick asked carefully.

“Yes. For the first time in years, I do. I want to be yours again, fully. I hate playing house with someone I want to share a bed with.” He punctuated his intent with a long, deep kiss.

“Then let’s end that waiting, shall we?” Patrick gathered Jerry’s long hair into a ponytail and tucked it into his shirt. He then scooped up the blond into his strong arms and held him close to his body and carried him back to the bedroom on the second floor.

 

Jerry was set down on his feet gently and thanked his boyfriend with a kiss. “Pat… do we need anything? Like condoms or…?” he asked nervously.

Patrick shook his head. “Took care of all of that the other day. I’ve wanted to do this for a while, but didn’t want to rush anything.”

“I’m very ready.” He hiked himself up on the balls of his feet and kissed the tall redhead again. His fingers played with the buttons on his shirt, and unfastened the first three. “Wanna take turns, the way we used to in high school?”

“I’d like that.” Patrick replied, a playful glint in his eye. He unbuttoned Jerry’s shirt all the way down and kissed the strong, pale, nearly hairless chest. “Mmmm… you are so strong, all that hard work.”

Jerry held onto his man as if he were going to disappear. He finished with the buttons on Patrick’s shirt and removed it from his body. The appearance of the pale skin and a lovely light coating of red hairs appeared and he smiled as widely as he knew he ever could. “Still so handsome.”

They kissed again and Jerry shed his own shirt, and they fell back on the bed, Patrick above him. He loved feeling the kisses that Patrick gave; they were always softer and sweeter than anyone else who’d bedded him. Those were always rushed and sloppy; this was slow, tender, and intense. Jerry’s toes curled as Patrick suckled his neck, leaving a hickey behind on the skin.

They reached for each other’s pants and began to undo them at the same time. Patrick slipped his off, revealing a pair of boxer shorts in a hue of pale purple. Jerry fingered the waistband on those and pushed them off as well. When Patrick undid Jerry’s pants, there was nothing underneath, except for the beautiful sight of his body. They tossed the clothing aside and wrapped their bodies together as closely as they could.

“Love you, Jerry,” Patrick uttered, his lips quite busy with kisses.

Jerry ran his fingers over his lover’s body and up through the ruddy strands. “I love you too, Pat. Always.”

His body felt alive again, for the first time in years. Just holding Patrick had done that to him, since the day they met, eight years ago. He remembered it well. It was sophomore year and the first day of history class. Jerry hated school, despite making good grades, and wanted to quit, but something kept him there. Thank goodness it was long enough to see the fair-haired god that walked in through the door and sat down next to him. They struck up a conversation and within a week of meeting shared their first kiss. Their first time was a month later.

Jerry jarred his mind back to the present, where he was again in arms of the man he loved more than anything. He felt his body being kissed and caressed, and felt his heart beating very fast. It had very nearly stopped when they were apart, but was alive again with their reunion.

“Baby?”

“Mmm. Yeah?” Patrick asked.

“Lay back… I want to go first.”

“As you wish, handsome.” Patrick obediently lay back on the bed and Jerry straddled him. He kissed his way down the tall man’s physique, even getting the inside, tender spots of the inner thighs, before he grasped the hardening ball sac in one hand and the weeping cock in the other. He wrapped his lips around the cock and sucked gently at first, but he quickly intensified things. He heard Patrick moan and it spurred him on even more. He massaged the sac in his other hand, and loved to feel the flesh in his grasp once again. Jerry felt Patrick’s body tense, and he felt a warm, wonderful sensation enter his mouth. He sat up and ran his finger across the softening member, missing it already. He kissed Patrick’s chest and put his hand over the man’s heart. “How was that, baby?”

Patrick propped himself up on his elbows and wore the biggest grin he’d seen in a long time. “Perfect, omigosh, just wonderful, Jerry.”

They leaned in together and kissed, sharing the fluid along with it. “Mmm, me next.”

“Definitely.” Patrick began to move, but Jerry stopped him.

“Wait. I have an idea.”

“What’s that?”

He sat over Patrick’s face, as close as he could, his very awake dick just inches from the man’s face and held onto the headboard to steady himself. “Is this easier for you?”

Patrick nodded and took the flesh into his hands. “Much. It’s like a popsicle, one I’d like to lick slowly and bob into my mouth over and over.” He kissed the tip of it, and it seeped pre-cum.

“It likes you. It’s missed you terribly.” Jerry explained.

“Then it’s time to end that.” Patrick tilted his head forward and slipped the penis into his mouth, garnering a moan from Jerry. While Patrick suckled on his cock, Jerry ran his fingers through his man of long hair, pulling at it, twisting it, whatever he could do to keep his hands occupied. He fanned his fingers out and ran them through the strands, fluffing them up and making his hair look much better than it had earlier. He glanced down at Patrick and felt his pale, long hands on his ass, holding him tight. Finally, he felt himself come, and watched as his lover swallowed the load. He backed away, his hair slung over his shoulder.

“How was that?”

“Incredible. Just like you.” Jerry thanked him with a passionate kiss and lay down upon his chest, listening to the drumming of Patrick’s heart. They held hands and kissed each other slowly, sweetly. “Six damn years…”

“It makes reuniting even sweeter, my love,” Patrick answered breathily. His fingers ran through Jerry’s hair and held onto him tightly.

“Pat… do you think we’ll win against that company?”

“I don’t know, but we’re gonna fight it with everything we have. Your friends aren’t short on fire and spunk. We can defeat them.”

Jerry traced a heart in Patrick’s chest hair. “I won’t lose you… not ever again.”

“You won’t! Don’t worry about that. Why do you keep thinking you’ll lose me?”

“Because I’ve lost everything before, and I don’t think I could live through it again.”

Patrick cupped his face. “Look at me… Jerry. You’re the love of my life. I clamored to get back here, especially when we saw you getting better. I want to be part of your recovery, not the reverse. Let me in and let me love you again. Can you do that?”

“Yes… it’s what I’ve wanted forever. To be with you.” They kissed gently and held on in a tight embrace while Patrick ran his fingers over Jerry’s body.

“Hey… you want to have some more fun together?” Patrick asked.

“Mmm, that’d be very nice. I need you inside me…” He picked up his lover’s hand and kissed it, and slid one of the fingers inside his mouth and sucked it erotically. “Let’s do it like we did it years ago. I’m still very flexible.”

Patrick wiped at his mouth, his attraction more than obvious. He held Jerry’s face securely and gave him a deep, French kiss. Moans came from both men as they sat in each other’s arms, kissing each other’s bodies incessantly and massaging each other with their hands. Jerry lay back, letting Patrick be over him again and put his arms above his head. “I’m your prisoner, baby… yours forever.”

The redhead grinned and after another deep kiss, he propped Jerry’s legs up onto his shoulders, kissing the legs and in-between them before he leaned forward and readied a condom. “My Jerry… my gorgeous man…” He stuck a finger inside his mouth and moistened it, then burrowed it inside his lover’s orifice, which garnered a quick gasp, following by more moaning. After the hole was prepared, Patrick slipped on the shield and pushed it inside his lover’s body. There was some pain at first, but Jerry was no stranger to it. He pulled his legs back closer to his chest and held them with his hands. He shut his eyes and let the sensations overtake him as he felt Patrick’s cock moving inside of him, pulsing in and out and finally, when the friction grew to a white-hot intensity, he could feel the condom fill with fluid, and at last… the warmth left him as his lover pulled it out. He caught his breath and lowered his legs.

“Pat…”

“That was amazing…”

“Yeah it was, omigosh… I’d forgotten how good that feels, but only with you.” He sat up and kissed the redhead and ran his fingers over his sweat-soaked body. “You wanna take a shower together? Clean up before bed?”

Patrick nodded as he quickly stood and disposed of the condom in the bathroom. When he returned, he took Jerry into his arms and kissed him again. “Tomorrow. We can change the sheets tomorrow, but right now I want to hold you, all naked and sweaty and not let go until we have to. Sound good?”

Jerry pulled up the sheet and tossed it over them. “Sounds perfect.” With a final round of kisses, they finally let their fatigue take hold. “Love you, Pat… always.”

“I love you too, Jerry. Forever.”


 

Chapter Twelve

 

The ringing phone disrupted the peaceful slumber of the reunited couple. Jerry reached for his cell phone, rolling Patrick with him.

“Hello?”

“Hey, sleepyhead. You enjoying your morning off?” It was Roger’s voice.

“Morning off? What time is it?” He snuck a peek at the clock on the nightstand and saw it was after 8 o’clock. “Oh shit! Roger! Why didn’t you guys wake me?”

Roger laughed. “Are you kidding? We wanted to leave you two be and let you have a wonderful night together.”

“How could you tell?”

“Jerry… come on, now. I’m with the love of my life… plus you mentioned something about getting lost in a wonderful dream. I can think of nothing dreamier than getting lost in your lover’s arms. You two wanted each other bad. So did you enjoy it?”

Patrick sat up and kissed Jerry’s shoulder.

“Yes, very much.” He ran his fingers through the ruddy locks and held on. “It was amazing.”

“Good! Happy to hear that, hon. You deserve that happiness.”

Patrick leaned his head down and nuzzled Jerry’s neck. “What’s he saying?”

Jerry stroked his lover’s face. “That I deserve this happiness.”

“You sure do,” Patrick whispered.

“Thank you… um, so what’s up? Or is this our wakeup call?”

“Well, calling for a couple of reasons. First, to wake you and say we’re half done with putting down your seeds. Secondly, that professor is out here examining the rock. He says it looks like pure granite and authentic for the era! He’s going to check the historic registry, but he’s almost positive it’s on it and it just got buried over time.”

Jerry grinned widely. “That’s great! So what will that mean for your ranch?”

“Don’t know yet. I guess we’ll see what the Mayor thinks of it all.”

“Ugh… good luck dealing with him. Isn’t there a land surveyor coming out there too? The Mayor mentioned he’d send one…”

“Nope, not yet. Alright, enough chit-chat. I’ll let you two clean up and get to your day. Congratulations again, Jerry. You’ve got a great guy there, and so does he.”

Jerry held Patrick close and kissed his head. “Thank you. Love you guys!”

“We love you too, sweetie. See you soon.”

Patrick pulled Jerry down to him and kissed him. “So, what was all that about?”

“Well, besides letting me sleep in and being able to enjoy our time together, they’ve also begun planting the seeds for my pumpkins.”

“Oh! How sweet are they, huh?”

“Very. Also the professor is out there examining that rock. He seems to think it’s authentic.”

Patrick pulled his lover into his lap. “So, what do we do now, love?”

Jerry pulled the redhead’s arms around him tighter. “Right now? I’d love to never leave this bed, or this feeling. But all that aside, I think we need to get up, shower, eat, and head over so we’re there when that surveyor comes over.”

After a bevy of kisses were planted on Jerry’s body, Patrick spoke again. “Are you sure you want to rush right over? Hmm? You’re so soft and warm, and naked…”

Jerry melted into his touch again. “Well… look at you all hot and naked too, your hair all mussed and sexy… so kissable.” He cupped Patrick’s face and kissed him deeply. “Let’s go shower and give us each a blow job in the shower, huh? Sound good to you?”

“Sounds wonderful to me.”

 

The happy couple finally arrived at the ranch an hour and a half later, just in time to see the appraiser leaving. Jerry cursed under his breath. “Damn, well, what’d he say?”

Sid ruffled his friend’s long locks. “He said he’d get back to us. That professor did say that the rock is a historic marker though. He’s going to the Preservation Society to confirm it’s on the registry.” He glanced at Roger, who nodded.

“Yup. The surveyor took his measurements and was outta here quicker than lightning too. That’s what’s new in our world. Sorry you missed such an exciting day.” Roger rolled his eyes.

Patrick laughed. “They were both boring as hell, weren’t they?”

Sid nodded. “Oh yeah. I’ve had more interesting chats with our cows. You two didn’t miss a thing.”

After letting out a sigh of relief, Jerry looked up at his lover. “Well, good thing we stayed in for most of the morning.” He could barely keep his hands off of Patrick, and never let him get too far out of sight.

“Aww, aren’t you two cute?” Roger teased. “How sweet was that reunion?”

“It was wonderful.” Jerry fairly beamed with love.

“Yes it was,” Patrick confirmed.

“I’m so happy for you guys!” He hugged them both warmly.

“Rog?” Jerry started quietly.

“Yeah, hon?”

“What if we lose… I mean…”

Patrick sighed. “Sweetie, we covered this last night. We’ll fight to the end.”

“Well, I know we’re gonna have to fight it,” Sid interjected as he made his way towards the group. “Got a call from that Mr. Smith himself. We’re one of the largest and most successful farms and he wanted to see us personally. He’ll be here later today.”

“Today?” Jerry panicked. “Oh shit! You’ve gotta hold him off, Sid!”

“Is there anything we can do legally, Patrick?” Roger asked.

“I’d almost cite eminent domain, but I don’t think it applies in this case. If they want to buy you out, they have a right to try and make that happen.”

“What?” Jerry shrieked.

“That’s how these things work, baby,” Patrick answered, his tone agitated. “I guess we wait to see if what the professor and the surveyor say.”

“Until then?” Roger started.

“Until then, we wait for Mr. Smith. Sign nothing… don’t agree to anything. I’ll be here with you.”

Sid shook his hand. “Good, I feel better with our own legal eagle on our side.”

“I’m still just a graduate, but thank you anyway.”

 

Time seemed to stand still as they waited for the man from Lipman to arrive. When his car pulled up, all four were on the porch together, and there was a communal sigh of disgust. Sid tapped Roger on the knee. “Come on, let’s go greet our ‘guest’.”

“Is that the new term for moron?” He joked.

Jerry watched them greet the man and put his arms around Patrick. “I feel pretty helpless. I’m just a worker here, if they go under… and you don’t have a job either…”

“Easy, easy now. We’ll figure something out. First things first.”

They waited patiently for their friends to come back and hear the news. An uneasy forty-five minutes went by before they returned. Jerry hopped up from Patrick’s lap. “Well?”

Sid was speechless, a rare thing for him. “I can’t believe it!”

“What is it, Sid? Rog?” Jerry quickly asked..

“They said we’ve done damn good! He was real impressed with everything. Especially with how we turned things around. Damn.”

“Why are you upset?” Patrick asked.

Sid took Roger’s hand. “Because if they offer a good price, it’s gonna make it real hard to say no.”

Jerry felt like his heart would stop. “What? You’d sell? Sid!”

Roger put his hand on Jerry’s shoulder. “We won’t sell, will we? We’re staying here.”

“He puts up a damn good argument, guys. It’s damn hard running a farm, Rog. If they gave us a lot of money for this place we could buy a real house and I could give you what I’ve always wanted to.”

“But then what would we do for a living? How would we survive? Farming is almost all we know! Besides, I don’t need that… I need you and our house and our ranch. You’re really thinking about it aren’t you?”

Sid sighed. “I’d like to finally have a real house and putting up with this one. I can’t rebuild a new one on here, but with that I could buy one… and pay off our debts and really start over. Hell, we could buy a farm somewhere else with a better house…”

“Listen to me!” Roger grabbed his arm. “We are not selling!” He walked a short distance from the other men.

“Sid?” Patrick started.

“Yeah?”

“When did that survey guy say he’d be back?”

Sid rubbed his face. “He didn’t say. We need that info.”

“Did he leave his number or anything?” Patrick asked.

“Yeah… hang on. I think he did.” He disappeared into the house, which let the dogs out, which Jerry quickly found himself flanked by.

“Hey babies! You guys will be just fine. All of us will.”

Roger suddenly straightened and flew past Sid on his way inside. He lingered in the doorway for a moment. “We’re not selling. I don’t care if they offer a million dollars, Sid Rosen-Laramie. We are not selling.” He slammed the door shut.

“Excuse me, fellas.” Sid disappeared inside the house, leaving the other couple on the front step.

Jerry petted both dogs and hugged them. “I can’t believe he’s considering it!”

Patrick kissed his boyfriend’s hair. “Come on, let’s let them be. We have our own detective work to do.”

“Ooh, lead on, my dear.”

Jerry watched his lover as he paced back and forth while talking on the phone with the Mayor’s office, the surveyor’s office, and his parents. Finally, after a tense hour, he was done.

“Have a seat. I think you wore a path in the floor.”

Patrick ruffled Jerry’s hair and kissed his head. “I always pace when I’m on the phone. Had a track worn out in my room when we were together in school.”

“So, what did you accomplish? Anything?”

“The surveyor is coming over tomorrow, and my Dad is too. The Mayor was unavailable. He won’t comment unless they know something.”

“What about that professor?”

“He wants to go public with it. He said it is on the official registry and needs to be preserved and put on display again. Overall, I think we can stop their farm from being bought!”

“Wahoo!” Jerry exclaimed as he put his arms around the man. “When do we know for sure?”

“Uh… tomorrow should be it.”

“That’s kinda quick, did your dad pull some major strings I’m guessing?”

“Oh yeah,” Patrick admitted, his smile tell-tale. “He loves this town too. He doesn’t want to see it bought out or divided.”

“It doesn’t hurt that his son lives here now too.”

“I may have been part of the reason, yes. You are too.”

Jerry cocked a brow. “Oh? How so?”

“Well, I won’t live anywhere without you, so he kinda did it for both of us.”

“Really?”

“Really.” He gave Jerry a peck on the cheek.

“Remind me to hug your dad when I see him.”

“Hug my mom, Dad’s not into hugging.” They laughed.

 

The long night passed into the next day. Jerry arrived for work at his usual time and hugged Roger hello. “How’d it go last night?”

“Not well,” Sid grumbled as he stumbled out the door.

“We’re still discussing it,” Roger filled in.

“I thought I’d tell you guys, Patrick’s dad is pulling every string he can and that professor is going to validate the authenticity of that rock today. I think we can be saved!”

Roger looked relieved. “That’d be wonderful! When will you know for sure?”

“Today.”

Sid let out a sigh and met his husband’s eyes. “Well, at least we’ll know.”

“Definitely. Patrick has put a lot of work into this too… he’s so smart and thorough.”

“That love bug has definitely bitten you again,” Roger teased.

“I’ve got it bad, I’m incurable,” he joked.

“Let’s get to work, boys. Maybe by lunchtime we’ll hear something.”

“Right. Let’s git.” Roger shooed them off the porch and to their tasks.

 

At just past 10 o’clock, Jerry’s phone rang and he answered it. “Hello?”

“Hey, baby. It’s me.”

“Hey, Pat. What’s new?”

“I know you don’t have TV there, so I’m telling you what’s up. Since the professor verified that it’s an authentic Civil War marker, that’s half the battle. Now, all we need is the surveyor to verify this historic item is legally on Sid and Roger’s land, at least your farm will be off the list to be bought! Well, it’d be saved anyway since Roger basically said they’d only sell if hell froze over.”

“That’s terrific! But what about the other farms?”

“That I don’t know. The other farmers make their own calls on what they want to do. As for us, it depends on Lipman and what they’ll do with this information.”

“Keep me posted.”

“Sure thing. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

 

An hour later, the phone rang again. “Hello?”

“Me again.”

“Heya.”

“The surveyor just released his report. He should be by there any minute.”

Jerry looked up and saw a sedan heading his way. “Speak of the devil. Gotta run. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

He was approached by the man and they shook hands. “Morning.”

“Morning. Is Mr. Rosen or Mr. Laramie around?”

“Sure are. Let me call them for you.” He punched in the digits to call up Roger.

“Hello?”

“Hey, the surveyor’s here with his report. You two need to get back here asap.”

“We’ll be right there.”

 

Not ten minutes later, Sid and Roger appeared. They all went indoors and unfurled the maps that the man carried with him to compare to the deed that Sid had. They scrutinized the documents closely. “Okay, here’s the old property line, circa 1865.” He pointed a dashed line. “It was a lot smaller back then.”

“Sure was,” Sid agreed. “Why did it get changed?”

“War, and the town wanted bigger land plots. So they rezoned everyone.” He presented another map that had the current boundaries. “Here’s where the marker was found, and here’s where your property line is then and now.”

They all looked at it closely. The marker, when it was laid, was outside the property boundary, but was included later on when it was expanded. Bottom line, it historically belonged to the town, but now, it belonged to Sid and Roger alone.

“So it’s our marker?”

“Yessir.”

“Well, I choose to set it up properly, before it was buried like that. It was a battle site.”

Sid put his hand on his hip. “Are you suggesting we go into the tourism business?”

Roger shook his head. “No. Maybe it can be roped off or something. Maybe separate out that section of land?”

The surveyor nodded. “That’s possible. We could buy out that part and make it belong to the town. We’d need to draw up the papers.”

“We’ll take care of it right away.” Jerry answered.

 

The next few days were a whirlwind as contractors bid on and looked at the marker. They decided finally to cast the stone in a permanent setting, with a flagpole and stepped tourist spot around it. Patrick asked his professor to assist him with handling the paperwork. The land now belonged to the city of Hawkinsville, so it was all of theirs.

The following day, Jerry picked up the paper and read the headline: “Hawkinsville saved!” He smiled wide. “Pat! Pat, look at this!” he bolted inside like an excited schoolboy.

Patrick took the paper and read it quickly. “…Lipman Corporation has decided not to pursue Hawkinsville and the surrounding county for reasons of infeasibility and has withdrawn their interest.” Patrick laughed aloud. “This is fantastic!”

“That means they’re going to leave us alone?” Jerry asked, his eyes wide.

“Yes! We won!”

They hugged enthusiastically in celebration.

“Now we can all stay here and build our lives again.”

“Exactly.”


 

Chapter Thirteen

 

In the aftermath of the corporate scare, everyone was in a celebratory mood. Sid, Roger, Patrick, Jerry, and Derek all gathered at Patrick and Jerry’s house to have a bbq.

“To Patrick and his outstanding help!” Jerry toasted. All the men raised their glasses of sparkling cider and drank a salute to their friend..

“Thank you all. I want to thank all of you for your help, and my professor as well, and especially my wonderful Jerry for helping us through this crisis.”

Jerry winked at his lover. “You flatter me, I didn’t do much of anything.”

“Sure you did! If not for you wanting to plant out there, we would’ve never discovered that marker, and we would’ve been bought up. Then the town would’ve faltered and died off.”

“But that was their call…”

“Jerry, just take the compliment,” Roger advised.

“Okay.” He blushed slightly and took Patrick’s hand. “Thank you, my dear.”

“Anytime.”

Derek spoke up. “Hey, Sid. Did you ever find out how much they appraised the ranch for?”

Sid nodded. “After a long talk with my better half here, we decided no amount of money could pull us off that farm. It’s good to know if we ever wanted to sell though that it’s worth a good chunk of change.”

“Definitely,” Roger agreed. They kissed lightly. “Just hope it never happens.”

“Agreed.”

Jerry smiled at his friends and let out a sigh of relief that his job was saved.

“So, Patrick, if you find out that you passed this test, are you going to run off to the city and become a big shot lawyer?” Derek asked.

“Well, I want to stay in town, maybe open my own practice. I want to build a life for Jerry and me.”

Jerry fairly beamed. To hear mention of someone wanting to have a life with him instead of just an hour of fun made him smile almost non-stop. Sid elbowed Roger. “Get a load of that one, he looks so happy.”

“I am,” Jerry announced.

Patrick kissed his hand. “Mind if I make you even happier, and me too? And share it in the company of friends?”

A confused Jerry nodded. “What’re you talking about?”

The tall redhead excused himself from the table for a moment and returned with a small box in his hand and set it on the table in front of Jerry.

Jerry gasped like a schoolgirl! “Pat! Are you…?”

Patrick opened the box and flipped up the top, revealing a stunning full carat round-cut diamond men’s ring. He took Jerry’s hands into his own and knelt before him. “Jerry Evans, will you do me the incredible honor of marrying me? Share a life with me by my side, always?”

Jerry surveyed the faces of those around him; they were all smiles. He felt happy tears roll down his cheeks and he nodded emphatically. He tossed his arms around Patrick’s neck and cried out. “Yes! Oh God, Pat, yes I’ll marry you!”

They held on for a long moment, both cried with happiness. Patrick slipped the ring onto Jerry’s left hand and they kissed warmly. After, they both sat back in their chairs. Sid, Roger and Derek all took turns congratulating them with slaps on the back, and hugs.

“Way to go, kiddo!” Sid commented with a grin and a clap on their shoulders. “Patrick, you know you’ve got a good man there. It took a long time to get here, but it’s all worth it.”

“Definitely!”

Roger examined the ring and kissed Jerry’s cheek. “Congratulations, hon! That’s wonderful!”

“Thanks, Rog.”

Derek hugged Jerry lightly. “Way to go, man! Augh! Emily would be jealous of that rock, nice!”

Jerry blushed. “Thanks, Derek.”

 

After their company left, the newly engaged couple celebrated in their own, sultry fashion. In November, they found out that Patrick had passed the exam with flying colors. Very soon after, Patrick, with the help of his father, found a suitable office for him to ‘hang up his shingle’ and start practicing law. He and Jerry had finally found their way back to each other, and it was at last a happy ending for Jerry’s season.


 

Epilogue

 

Six months to the day after Patrick proposed, Jerry and Patrick had a commitment ceremony at Sid and Roger’s barn. The décor was red roses and sunflowers, perfect. Roger was Jerry’s best man, and Sid was Patrick’s. They have since adopted a Labrador puppy named Rufus.

Patrick’s new law business opened and is building a strong client base in town and is doing well.

Jerry decided to go back to school and pursue a degree in business.

 

Mayor Lumly decided not to run for re-election.

 

 

 

 


 

AUTHOR BIO and other books and links and whatnots

S. L. Danielson began writing at the tender age of seven. She knew it was her calling from the moment she put pen to paper. In her teens she began writing alternative works and the genre stuck. She also wove more elaborate tales and finally in her college years began to her new love of male romance into long novels.

She is classically trained in business and accounting, and is currently a graduate student. Her other hobbies including cycling, figure-skating, gaming, and spending time with her husband and two cherished cats.

Contact S. L. at:

ladyauthorsld@gmail.com

or follow her blog at:

www.ladyauthorsld.blogspot.com


 

Other works by S. L. Danielson:

Ranch Hands

For the Heart of Phillip

Lust in London

Bernard; Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop

Refugees (sequel to For the Heart of Phillip)

Love by the Numbers

Life After Math (sequel to Love by the Numbers)

My Fair Vampire (with Julie Lynn Hayes)

Broken Promises (combination of For the Heart of Phillip and Refugees)

 

Coming soon:

The Alpha Lambda House (with M. J. MacGregor)

This is the re-written version, and the one that went to publication....
2012 S.L. Danielson
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked this version better. Derek is a great character, much better than Daniel was and without any love triangles, just a good friend. That company wanting to buy the land brought enough drama. Patrick´s dad wasn´t very subtle talking about Kenny when Jerry went there for the first time. Sid and Roger were absolutely brilliant friends to Jerry, without their help he probably wouldn´t have been able to turn his life around. I liked this Patrick better, he was more humble and down to earth sort of guy than the one you have in the other version. I can see Patrick becoming the mayor one day.

 

Great story :)

Link to comment
On 05/01/2014 07:12 PM, Suvitar said:
I liked this version better. Derek is a great character, much better than Daniel was and without any love triangles, just a good friend. That company wanting to buy the land brought enough drama. Patrick´s dad wasn´t very subtle talking about Kenny when Jerry went there for the first time. Sid and Roger were absolutely brilliant friends to Jerry, without their help he probably wouldn´t have been able to turn his life around. I liked this Patrick better, he was more humble and down to earth sort of guy than the one you have in the other version. I can see Patrick becoming the mayor one day.

 

Great story :)

Thank you! I didn't think this was the more exciting of the two, being the lover of drama that I am; but I agree it made a good story. Hadn't ever gotten feedback before on the company trying to buy the farms before either; so I'm glad that played off well! Thanks again for reading! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..