Jump to content
    Talo Segura
  • Author
  • 1,717 Words
  • 223 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Reconciled - 7. Chapter 7

"Hey, Mark," Jennifer smiled as she opened the door. "Come in. Looks cold?"

"Yeah, it is." He slipped past her, turned and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"Ah! You feel frozen," she said, at the touch of his lips.

"So how's everything?" Mark followed her into the large living room. It was certainly warm enough in the house.

"Good."

She wandered over to the fireplace. It was either the original fireplace to the house or else a very good reproduction. Whatever the case, it had been converted to a gas fire which attempted to look real. The flames were there, but not the crackling wood. The logs never changed, only glowed.

"I spoke to Vicky on Friday. First time in a while. She's coming on the trip to Brussels."

"Really?" Mark was surprised. "I've seen so little of her. You know, since everything happened. I thought she had lost interest in college."

"No. She's just steering clear of Arran."

"And did she say anything. About Arran or his dad?"

"Only, the court case is put off for a month. She's not about to change her mind."

"She strikes me like that case on the news." He sat down in the leather armchair in front of the fire and looked up at Jennifer. "You know, it's the same trip. Blackmail, only Vicky's payoff is some sort of revenge, not money."

"She's not a prostitute, Mark."

"But she's acting like one. At least she's being vindictive and lying. Lying which might get Arran's father put behind bars. If they believe her. If she doesn't finally come to her senses."

"Can we talk about something else?" Jennifer warmed her hands on the fake fire.

"Where she getting the money to come to Belgium? I thought she was broke. They were paying for some fancy lawyer. Costs a fortune."

"Who told you that?"

"Ali. She's been talking to Vicky as well."

"She never said anything to me."

"Jen, you don't really talk about that stuff. You ask her how things are. Try to keep in touch, still be friends. I don't know. Ali, she's pushing her to change her mind. Actually I'm not sure everything between her and Arran is over."

"How so?" Jennifer shook her head and brushed the hair back from her face.

"I don't know. Just a feeling."

"You've talked to Arran?"

"Only briefly."

"I'll have to have a serious chat with Ali. Find out what's going on." She smiled at him, "Coffee?"

He nodded.

 

Tom had checked it was okay to meet at Arran's house as they couldn't come to his place, not with his mother there and only his tiny bedroom. Salem had chatted with him again online, for a long time. It was obvious they couldn't be seen together around the neighbourhood so he arranged to meet Salem in the park, by the lake, near the old bandstand. They could then get together at Arran's.

The huge question for Tom, and it was worrying, was how he would tell Arran. If he had figured things out then he had the horrible fear Arran would drop him. His life had become more complicated since meeting Arran, or since coming to live here. He wasn't sure which.

Before they moved he'd experienced bullying which eventually became unbearable. It led him to the edge, to asking himself if it was worth it, carrying on. Anybody might reach the same conclusion, contemplate ending it in the only way there is when you can't tell anybody and when you don't see a way out. Just end it all.

He didn't, and then he met Michael online. Michael who had his own problems, family problems, a family that would never accept who he was. Michael, Salem, that was mind blowing. They were living not so far apart, but only knew each other online. Michael/Salem was damaged goods, there was no doubt in Tom's mind. Since they'd got together, knowing him more had only confirmed it.

Perhaps he was too emotional, or maybe he simply was as broken as Salem, but he couldn't say no to Salem. He had too much fear about the consequences of rejection. But whilst he was sucked into that liaison he also needed Arran. Could he talk about all this and deal with helping Arran and his dad?

 

The dark figure of the slim, rakish boy, was hunched up with his hoodie pulled down over his head. There was nobody about and it was cold enough to freeze your balls off. A thought that made Tom laugh as he moved towards Salem.

"Okay?" Tom looked at him, but couldn't see more than a tiny glimpse of skin. "Let's go."

Salem reached out and grabbed Tom's arm, pulling him back, stopping him dead. Their breath was a moist vapour spiralling into the cold air. When the wind blew it hurt your face. Tom turned to face him. Salem looked up into Tom's face. It looked like he'd been crying.

Tom gulped, struck by the boy's stance. Something was wrong. "You're not okay, are you?"

Salem stared at him. "You never said Arran was your boyfriend."

"What? I explained."

"No. You explained last night. Online. After I asked you."

Salem was upset, Tom could see that, feel the tension.

"Oh shit! It's so freaking complicated." Tom went to put an arm around Salem, but he shrugged it away.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He looked around as if someone might see them.

Tom saw fear in his eyes. Just a glimpse before he lowered his head and hunched his shoulders against a gust of wind.

"Let's go. Please. We can talk in the warm."

"No. I'm not going to your boyfriend's."

Tom was starting to panic. He could feel the emotions building up inside. The conflict was inevitable, just as was the need to do the right thing. The overpowering demand to help. Help, was that even the right word? He wondered.

"Come back to my place then."

"No I can't. If someone sees me."

They stood there by the old bandstand where once, many years ago, music entertained crowds on warm days. Now it was cordoned off and would probably get demolished. Tom felt his resolve slipping. He felt he was losing his newly found hold on things. He was being made responsible for everyone, for everyone else's problems.

"You better come to Arran's. It's the only way I can talk to you and you can talk to me. Don't chuck it all away. I've never lied. Not to you, not to anyone."

"You never said who Arran was. I thought..."

"Salem, don't get jealous."

Tom started walking. Reluctantly, Salem followed.

 

Arran opened the door and showed them into the front room. It was much more pleasant inside, at least temperature wise. Salem however was sulking. He was ignoring Arran, didn't even say hello. He was being an obnoxious teenager and it annoyed Tom.

Arran took their jackets, hung them up in the hall and went into the kitchen where he finished making three hot chocolates.

"Salem!" Tom looked at him, frowning. "Be nice, or I'll..."

"What?" Salem snapped.

The boy had gone from miserable and feeling sorry for himself, to jealous and defiant. Arran came back carrying a tray which he placed on the coffee table. Salem looked at him like Arran wasn't even in his own house. Like he was some sort of servant. He didn't even bother with an acknowledgement or a simple thank you. The atmosphere was as frosty as the air outside.

"Thanks for coming," Arran said to both of them, but he was looking at Salem. "Tom told me, maybe you can help."

"Yeah," Salem said, aggressively. "That was before he told me about you."

Arran looked at the boy. Tom was stunned and didn't know where to look.

"Told you about me?" Arran repeated. "What did he say?" He glanced quickly at Tom before focusing back on Salem.

"That you are boyfriends."

"Oh! I see."

"No. You don't see at all," Salem responded.

Tom had had enough and he interrupted angrily. "Shut up, Salem." He took a deep breath. "I've tried to think of how to tell you this," Tom looked directly at Arran. "Salem... he... has feelings for me."

There was a silence that seemed to take on an air of thickness, not a tension you could cut, but a gooey mud that everyone was stuck in. Arran, he wasn't sure what he felt, but it made him laugh.

Tom stared at him. Salem spluttered into his hot chocolate.

"I'm sorry, but this is just so screwed up. I get together with a guy, because... Because I'm attracted, attached... I've got feelings for. You," Arran looked at Salem. "You come along and beat the shit out of him," Arran looked at Tom, "You turn out to be his best online friend and you want to hop into bed together. I haven't even said anything about your ape of a brother."

"And you," Salem looked back across the room at Arran, "want this girl off your father's back and want me to help get it done."

"You're right," Arran had stopped laughing. "But that ain't quite the same thing."

"We never did anything," Tom butted in.

"Shut up, Tom!"

Arran was angry.

"Salem come here, I wanna talk to you. Alone." Arran put his drink down.

Salem followed him out of the lounge. Tom watched them disappear. Arran led Salem upstairs and opened his bedroom door. As Salem looked inside, Arran grabbed him with both hands and manhandled him through the doorway. Gripping the boy tightly he pushed him hard back against the wall, pressing his body into Salem. Their faces were inches apart.

"What's your game?" Arran asked, calmly.

Despite his aggressive actions, he was very composed. Salem slumped against the wall, going completely loose, he didn't fight back.

"Go on then." The boy looked like he was going to cry. "Beat the shit out of me. If it makes you feel better. That's what you want, isn't it? Go on do it. Do it!" He raised his voice.

Arran raised his right arm and made a fist. His hand swung through the air in an arc towards the kid's face.

Copyright © 2024 Talo Segura; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Arran is angry, but hitting Salem isn’t going to help anyone… is he just threatening, or really going to hurt him. Coming from the family Salem is in, he really could use friends more than enemies, he has more than enough of those at home.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, VBlew said:

is he just threatening, or really going to hurt him.

That is revealed in the next chapter. Don't you just love cliffhangers! And you're right, of course, Salem could use some friends.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Scene One - Mark and Jennifer

To begin with I thought that a considerable time must have passed since chapter six, and that Vicky must have already received a bank draft when Jennifer announced that she had agreed to go to Brussels, and Mark wondered how she was able to afford it because of the cost of the lawyer. It was only when I read the rest of the chapter that I realised that the porn shoot probably hasn't happened yet (if, indeed, it ever does happen). So I'm not sure just how relevant this scene is to the plot, but I'm suspecting it wasn't written just as a space filler.

Scene Two - By the bandstand

Salem is obviously upset to find out Arran is Tom's boyfriend. Hardly surprising that he isn't all that keen on actually going round to Arran's with Tom.

We find out more about Tom's past in this scene, and the fact that he at least contemplated suicide when he was being bullied in his old neighbourhood.

And we are also shown how Tom is feeling almost trapped and not sure how to proceed. He wants to help Arran. He wants to help Salem. But trying to help both of them seems to be bringing extra problems into his life. Hopefully he can cope with the stress better than he did with the bullying in the past. The fact that he seemed to have coped reasonably well with the attack by Achim (in the last book) gives me hope.

Scene Three - At Arran's house

Tom admits to Arran that he slept with Salem. To be honest, I had assumed that Arran had already realised near the end of Chapter Six that something had happened between Tom and Salem when there was the following exchange in the college library:

"And Salem? Why is he doing all this?"

Tom didn't want to answer that question. He felt himself blush and his heart started pounding. Arran saw his reaction, it was too obvious that something was going on there.

But perhaps I was mistaken. Or maybe Tom didn't actually realise that Arran had seen his reaction to the question and drawn his own conclusions.

I'm obviously most concerned (which I'm sure was intentional) by the cliff-hanger we are left with. Is Arran really going to thump Salem? And, if he does, just how badly will he hurt him? Or will he draw back at the last moment? Or could Tom have followed them upstairs, and will he step in to stop the assault? And I'm looking at this sentence: "Despite his aggressive actions, he was very composed", and wondering why, if he is so composed, he would even think about hitting Salem.

But, if he really does hit him, and hurts him, what will be the consequences? I can't help wondering if Tom, who has first-hand experience of the effects of bullying, would ever again want to have anything to do with him if he does attack a boy three(?) years his junior.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

@Marty there's a lot to reply to here.

1. Where did Vicky get the money to go to Brussels? That is not clear at this point, there is a lot of supposition and speculation, but the scene takes place in the present and not a lot of time has passed.

2. The scene with Salem by the bandstand is crucial to understanding Tom's mixed relationships, drawn between Salem and Arran.

3. Arran suspected something between Tom and Salem, but perhaps not to the point that they might have shared a bed! Arran was very composed, like a tightly wound spring ready to explode. The calm before the storm which was about to erupt because of what he was beginning to realise about Tom and Salem's closeness.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..