Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,343 Words
  • 2,219 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The New Solare - 10. Chapter 10- Preparations

When Kelius came to, the first thing he felt was the soreness of his neck. He hissed as he lifted his head, only to realize that his body was held upright into a strange harness with his back against the wall. His elbows were clasped in place, as were his ankles. Kelius tried to jostle himself free, but nothing truly budged.

"You can only be released from the outside."

The copper dragon turned his head so fast that his neck protested. "Ow! Son of a..." However, though he tried to get a good look at the other dragon, he couldn't even see him at all.

"SH! Don't talk! You'll draw his attention! My name is Darifer, an Astral from one of the chains of islands." The dragon continued. "Duke Borev isn't well. This entire laboratory-"

"Already making friends with your new company, I see," Duke Borev drawled as he changed into his Astral form and reached out to grab hold of Darifer's chin roughly. "Remember who your master is, filth." He let out a low growl. "I thought to make him a gift for you, but if you would rather not have the company..."

"Yes!" Darifer gasped as he responded quickly. "Yes, I...thank you for the gift.

Yellow eyes narrowed. "I must find a way to move this entire bunker onto the surface, so, I will leave you with your gift for now."

Darifer let out a sigh of relief when the pure dragon left again. "I think it's safe to talk, for now…"

"How long have you been down here?" Kelius questioned. "Any ideas on how to get us out?"

"Borev sealed our restraints in magic. There isn't anything we can do as of yet." Darifer explained in a weary tone of voice. "And I've been down here for weeks."

"Weeks!?" Kelius hissed. "I don't have that kind of time to waste, not with the tremors threatening to take down everything!"

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you just happen to be somewhere near the very core of the tremors."

For a moment, the memory of Ansar's face was brought forth as he realized just how dire a situation he was in. "Well, fuck."

"In this lab is our ancestors' radar technology. It used to be able to track down just about anything in its prime. I was halfway into decoding it when…let's just say that our ancestors' technology disrupts a pure dragon's psyche to the point that it drives them insane." Darifer explained.

"Insane?"

::::::

Having lost his parents in one of the tremors, Darifer was the first to volunteer to investigate the tremors. He traveled by ship and found the crater before the walls of earth had risen too high to climb over. As he carefully glided his way down the long passage, he realized that it became harder and harder to see. Before he managed to get all the way to the bottom, something grabbed him.

Panicked, he began to squirm in the grasp, until a calm voice began to resonate in his mind.

'How strange…are you an Astral dragon? I thought your kind had died out long ago…'

As a large snout began to sniff at him, Darifer fought once again to keep himself calm. "Could you be a pure dragon?"

'My name is Borev, and I am the Duke of Dozeanro, our hidden kingdom.' Borev stated telepathically.

"My name's Darifer. I'm just a representative from the chain islands above ground."

'So, there really is life on the surface. We didn't even realize…'

"Neither did we, I guess," Darifer admitted. "I came down here to investigate the source of tremors that have been tearing our islands asunder."

'We've been feeling those tremors here, as well.' The duke replied.

"Then, maybe we should search for the source together!" The lavender dragon suggested.

'Agreed.'

The two of them became fast friends as they investigated as a team. They became even closer as the days went by. But, then, the two of them came across the hidden laboratory. Darifer was able to walk in without a problem, but Borev had to use his magic to change into an Astral dragon in order to fit. Darifer openly stared at the lovely blue dragon for a moment, but then he focused on his surroundings and what the lab could have been used for.

"Is this…a mainframe?" Darifer mused aloud as he looked over the equipment and turned everything on. "It still works!" As he began to work on it for several hours, he studied its functions.

When he realized what it truly was, the lavender dragon gasped. The excitement shone on his face as he turned towards Borev with the great news. "I think it's a sophisticated radar!"

That was when he realized that Borev was holding his head in agony and hunched over. "Duke! Are you alright!?" He rushed over to try to help him, but when he got too close, he was shocked by electricity. "What the-?" He hissed as he curled his arm into his chest. The pure dragon began to generate even more electricity until a bright blue light formed around him. The light was so bright that Darifer had to shield his eyes from it.

The lavender dragon didn't know how or when he had been unconscious. But, when he next opened his eyes, it was to the sight of his naked body in restraints and Duke Borev's hands sliding along his skin. "What's the meaning of this?"

'Be still, Astral filth,' Borev hissed into his mind. 'You have done this to me, this incessant noise beneath my skin…and for that; you shall pay.'

::::::

"Yes. At least, from what I've seen." Darifer affirmed after a moment of silence. "I was hoping to use the advanced radar to search for the source of the tremors. I'd all but given up hope until he brought you down here."

"Tied up as I am, there's little I can do," Kelius stated.

"Sooner or later, someone will come for you." Darifer insisted. "We'll be able to do something then."

"I sure hope you're right."

Another moment of silence engulfed them both as they shifted in their restraints.

"By the way, what's your name?" Darifer asked.

"Kelius. Astral from the grasslands." Kelius replied.

"Nice to meet you…" He responded with a slight groan of despair. "That's definitely one of the pleasantries I've taken for granted in the past, a proper introduction."

Kelius let out a snort. "You mean all the manners that parents pass down?"

"Mmhmm," Darifer said in affirmation. "Lost my parents during one of the tremors some years back."

"Oh," Kelius hissed, feeling rather contrite about his careless words. "My condolences."

"No worries," The other dragon stated. "So long as we figure out what's causing the tremors and manage to stop them, then it won't have been in vain. If only I could have decoded the blasted mainframe fast enough…ancient technology isn't my area of expertise."

Kelius let out a snort. "Oh? I know someone who could decode it in a breeze."

::::::

Emyve piloted the rest of the way back to the fortress. The atmosphere was tense between the gallants. Though they had no choice, it didn't make them feel any less awful for having left one of their own behind.

Not even Ruthed himself could brighten up their mood just then. But, even so, he brought up one of the questions that were surely on their minds. "So, who's gonna volunteer to tell Ansar?" He asked in a serious tone.

Ilohir quickly shook his head no as he held Madhal's hand, squeezing it a little at just the thought of leaving Kelius behind and breaking the news to Ansar.

Madhal immediately wrapped his arm around his partner and pressed his forehead to Ilohir's temple, closing his eyes. As much as he enjoyed to talk, he couldn't bring himself to say a single word.

"I will. It's my responsibility, anyhow." Gonuret spoke up.

When they finally docked in the fortress, they made their way to the conference room.

"I will find Sindri and Ansar," Gonuret stated. "All of you, please wait here."

The Solare Sindri, Visionary Ansar, and Sentain Yuneza were seated around a table in the library, eating and researching at the same time. As soon as the Lunare walked in, Sindri rushed over to hug him and kiss him.

The white-haired dragon a mixture of relief and regret. He felt relieved to be able to hold the Solare in his arms again, but he also regretted not being able to truly celebrate their safe return. "I have news. Most of them aren't good." He began as he looked over towards Yuneza and Ansar, as well. "Come with me to the conference room." He added as the three of them rushed over to the other Gallants.

"We found a crater-sized opening that delved deep underground where a Pure Dragon kingdom has been residing for centuries," Emyve explained when everyone was present. "The Pure Dragons themselves don't know what is truly causing the tremors. Worse yet, they are in danger of being buried alive."

Ansar immediately noticed Kelius's absence. "Where's Kelius?"

Gonuret frowned and placed a hand on the Visionary's shoulder. "Gallant Kelius remained behind with the royal family of the Pure Dragons..."

"Why-?" Ansar questioned, only to be cut off by Sentain Yuneza. He kept quiet out of pure respect for her and because of the important information that was being tossed back and forth, but he was already feeling the anxiety building up inside him.

"If what we know about Pure Dragons is correct, then most of the adults and young adults should be able to fly out through the crater's opening by themselves." Sentain Yuneza mused out loud.

"What about the Pure dragons that can't make such a journey?" Sindri questioned.

"Well, they can take on an Astral form," Madhal revealed. "Ilohir and I have seen it."

"Then, would it be possible to ferry them over in ships?" Sindri wondered aloud.

"That seems to be our only option for now," Sentain Yuneza admitted. She then used her limited power to give notice to the distant Sentains. As she focused her energy, the staff she held began to glow. "Sentains, be prepared in your designated villages. The Gallants are aiding in the evacuation of Pure Dragons living beneath the ground of the zone near the tremors."

"Why did Kelius stay behind!?" Ansar hissed in the background, trying to stare down all of the Gallants, the very gallants that refused to look him in the eye. He was at his breaking point.

Yuneza ignored him as she finished her message. "The Pure Dragons will be directed here, to our fortress. However, the source of the tremors has yet to be found or stopped."

"Gallant Kelius said something about beginning the evacuating process," Gonuret stated, though he couldn't truly hold the Visionary's yellow gaze.

Sindri gave a sharp nod as he took everything in. The Pure Dragons seemed to be in far greater danger than themselves. "Let's split into teams." He commanded as he finally realized why he had been chosen to be the new Solare. Thus far, he seemed to be able to keep a level head in the midst of chaos. "Madhal and Ilohir, you're in charge of the wounded and elderly."

The blonde turned towards the other gallants. "Emyve and Ruthed, you're in charge of the pregnant women and children." His orange eyes then settled onto the Lunare's gray ones. "Gonuret, you're in charge of anyone else who is unable to make the flight on their own. Each one of you will be in charge of your own individual ship. I don't know how many Pure dragons are still alive, but if it's the size of an entire kingdom, we can't afford to overlook any space."

"I'm going, too!" Ansar declared.

"Ansar, Kelius wouldn't want you to be thrust right into the danger zone," Ruthed countered. "Besides, Sindri needs you here."

The Solare frowned at the disappointment that formed on his best friend's face. He knew exactly where Ansar was coming from. "Ansar...Trust me; I know how you feel. I want to go along with them as well, I always have! But, if we were to go, we'd only be a hindrance for all of them." He reached over and ruffled the soft curls. "They're working very hard. We need to do same."

While Sindri had a feeling that Gonuret had chosen not to elaborate on the circumstances of Kelius's disappearance, he knew that Ansar and himself needed to remain where they were. He was now in charge of, not only the safety of the Astral dragons but now the Pure dragons, as well.

"Alright, already," Ansar grumbled in a frustrated manner. He stomped his way out of the conference room, his tail dragging on the ground behind him. "I'll just be in my room feeding the rabbits!"

Sindri let out a defeated sigh as he watched his best friend storm off, but it was for the best. He focused his attention back on Gonuret, walking over and giving him a firm kiss. "Go now, and be careful." He gazed at the other Gallants. "All of you."

The Gallants began to make their way back to the hangar, but Gonuret remained behind, dropping his forehead gently against the blonde. "Keep safe, my Solare." He whispered, taking both of Sindri's hands and lifting them to his lips, giving the knuckles a kiss at the junction. "Tell Ansar that we'll do everything in our power to bring Gallant Kelius back."

"We'll be fine so long as you all return to us safely," Sindri admitted to the Lunare, heat rising to his cheeks from the Astral dragon's gesture. He then wrapped his arms around Gonuret in a tight embrace, despite knowing he would be hesitant to let go. "I don't know what's fully going on, but I know you'll bring him back." He then watched Gonuret walk away with a heavy heart.

©Copyright 2016 Thirdly and Toma; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, have to say that it wasn't an out and out lie; but so much admission will cause problems for some when the truth comes out...  Have to see what happens; when what the Duke has done becomes known to the rest of his people...

Link to comment
On 4/29/2017 at 9:13 PM, centexhairysub said:

Well, have to say that it wasn't an out and out lie; but so much admission will cause problems for some when the truth comes out...  Have to see what happens; when what the Duke has done becomes known to the rest of his people...

 

Yes, we'll see how the boys handle it.

Link to comment

Woosh... I'm glad that the Duke isn't evil for evils sake, but the whole situation is still really horrible

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, cmk762 said:

Woosh... I'm glad that the Duke isn't evil for evils sake, but the whole situation is still really horrible

 

Agreed.

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..