Jump to content
    Toast
  • Author
  • 1,133 Words
  • 755 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Grump II - 3. Chapter 3: First Date Surprise

The unsolved past. The bewildering present. The fucked up future.

Grump II

stories/7180/images/Jack.1.jpg Jack

Chapter Three: First Date Surprise

Grump stood at the Randall front door dressed as required in a navy blazer and blue jeans and a white shirt with a red tie. Oh, weejuns and no socks. In his right arm was a potted chrysanthemum called The Football Mum for its color and size. In his left hand was a five pound sack of miniature chocolate footballs. Let Jack back out at his own risk. He better open the door and be dressed and ready. It was 7:25, why was Grump waiting to ring the bell?

****************************************************************

Four friends had resumed their study group that afternoon, minus Peter and his kitchen. They went to Grump’s house. Being an only child Grump had the second story mostly to himself. There was a guest bedroom and a spare room for storage and projects that his mother started and abandoned. But the upstairs master was his alone with a room for a study and one for play. But the best part was the door that hid a staircase to the third floor. Up there was a great room and attic storage. This is where he took his friends after cookies with Grandmother. Grandmother had insisted on introductions and a sit down social moment.

Grandmother lived in her own apartment down on the terrace level of the house. She didn’t mind the stairs up to the first floor but she stopped there. She would go no further. So Grump knew they would be safe and private on the top floor behind closed and locked doors. The large room had a row of windows along one wall that overlooked the backyard. There was a fireplace on the opposite wall and the rest of the room was bookcases. There were twin leather sofas in the middle of the room and a few tables and lamps around. An oriental rug on the floor.

“I don’t believe he is dead and gone. We should try to find him or an answer at least. His house is up for sale! Where did his Mom go? She wouldn’t just leave if Peter was missing or dead, she would be tearing this town apart. We don’t know all the facts and until we do no one is going to convince me Peter is dead.” Sally had gone over this time and time again. And each time she was more sure of herself, Peter was not gone, not dead, but missing. Yes, missing. Where did the idea come from that Peter must be dead? In fact at first Peter didn’t seem all that important of an issue. After the last circle ended we all just got up and left for home. It was only a couple of days ago that all the doubts began. All the memories coming back. And then finding a piece of Peter in her heart. Now it was time for answers.

Peter? Grump pushed the door bell.

****************************************************************

Jack Randall opened the door. Good, thought Grump, he’s dressed up too. And Jack filled the doorway with his impressive body. Camel hair blazer, black jeans, white silk T-shirt, no tie, the shit, and doc martins. “Jack invite your date in, don’t keep him waiting on the porch,” a woman’s voice called out. “Please come in Sam, my parents are waiting to meet you.” Jack stepped back from the door and gestured with his arm.

Mr. Randall was seated in an arm chair with his wife standing beside him. She was beaming. Mr. Randall was not. “Jack, he is so handsome. You didn’t tell us that part. Hello Sam, I’m Mrs. Randall. It’s a pleasure to meet you. Jack has told us all about your meeting and resulting date. I think it is so sweet. You two are so cute together. And this is a good life lesson too, for all of us.”

Grump’s mind was processing. “Thank you, Mrs. Randall. I’m glad to meet you also.” Who is this woman and what planet is she from?

“Jack take your Mother and go fix us all a drink in the kitchen, I want a word alone with Sam, please.” Jack and his Mother left. “Honey, I like him already. Where is our camera? You are not leaving until we take pictures.”

“Well, Samuel. What are your intentions regarding my son? This is not a routine date and this is not an idle polite question.” Mr. Randall was an imposing man.

Grump was still standing with a flower in one arm and a bag of candy in the other. “Well friendship I guess at best, tolerance at least.”

“Good, I believe you would be a good friend for my son. And I want my son to be a good man. But this is still just an experiment at the moment. Nothing has been proven and it will be interesting to follow the developments you might say. One more thing. I am an ex-marine colonel. That thumb trick wont work on me.”

“Yes Sir.” Grump replied. Jack and Mrs. Randall returned with trays. Drinks and fancy little hors d’oeuvres. “Jack help Sam with his belongings.” Mrs. Randall said meaning the flowers and candy.

It was awkward, Jack was blushing. “These flowers are for you Mrs. Randall, maybe Jack will share his candy too.” Grump said to ease the embarrassment of the moment for Jack.

“Flowers. For me. You dear boy. They are lovely. Oh you are a keeper. Jack don’t you lose this one.” Mrs. Randall took the flowers and kissed Grump. She was one happy lady. Jack just stood there holding his bag of candy, blushing even redder. Grump was just as befuddled, but for different reasons. This was not what he had expected. A quick hello and goodbye, not this complete truth and consequences play by play drama. Or was it a comedy?

Mrs. Randall turned around from the table she had sat the mums on with a camera in her hands. “Good this is the digital one, I can take all the pictures I want.”

“Jack stand closer to Sam. Jack put your arm around Sam. Smile.” This was the sixth picture.

“Margaret the boys are going to be late for their dinner date. Let them be off before Jack’s curfew arrives. Yes, I said curfew. Sam this is your first date with Jack and I expect Jack to be home before midnight. Not one minute pass twelve either. And he better be in one piece also.” Mr. Randall had risen from his chair and was moving everyone toward the front door.

Mr. and Mrs. Randall stood in the doorway and watched as Grump opened the car door for Jack. “I hope Jack asks Sam to supper on Sunday.” Mrs. Randall said. Mr. Randall thought, ‘So do I.’

Grump is lucky he has friends this time.

<br />Copyright © Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original art, characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.<br /><br />This story was originally written in late 2009.<br /><br />Transfer to new system on: 12/20/2010<br /><br />© Copyright 2010 by Bugeye. All Rights Reserved.<br />
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..