Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,333 Words
  • 3,691 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Fortress - 25. Chapter 25

The speeches were over, the polls had closed. The results had been tallied. After weeks of campaigning, sweating, shaking hands and kissing babies Will could stand at the podium the newly elected Representative of Toronto-Centre.

The results had been a landslide, from the start poll after poll had returned an overwhelming majority in his favour. It was stunning to watch, the next closest behind him, Edward Prout had less than half the votes Will had, and the conservative Candidate Kelly Sineau barely registered.

The people had spoken, they wanted a liberal representative, and more specifically they wanted William Carter. His analysts had explained it as Will's dynamic energy and enthusiasm showing in his campaigning. Brody had simply pointed out, Kid got game.

Will was in a state of stunned shock, sleeves rolled up and tie undone, looking out of the cheering supporters that had come to congratulate him. It was one of those moments in life that he couldn't quite believe; it had all seemed so unreal the past few weeks. Like it wasn't happening to him. He was so used to working for Robert Avery that even when he was doing something for himself it still felt as if it were for someone else.

There was a hushed rumbling as the crowd settled down, aware that he was going to speak and Will glanced over them again, touting signs with his name on them, and he was overwhelmed again by his emotions as another round of applause and cheering went out.

"Thank you, thank you," Will said blinking as he waved a hand to settle them down again.

"I just received a call from The NDP Candidate Edward Prout congratulating me on my victory..." The crowd erupted again, and Will smiled, "Well campers," he said with a smile, "Looks like we're going to Ottawa."

He held up a hand to stave off more cheering, "When I was asked to run in this campaign I never expected this kind of reception, and definitely not this kind of a win." He shook his head looking back at the poll results, "It's amazing."

He took a deep breath, "As you've come to know over the course of this campaign I am a man of action, not of protocol and bureaucracy. I believe in getting things done instead of finding excuses for why they aren't. Toronto's infrastructure is in desperate need of financial aid. We have won significant battles these past few years for equal rights, but the big battles are still to come. And it is clear that people believe Canada's role in the world is just as important as it's role at home. You chose me to take that message to Ottawa, and I will take it." He looked behind him, "I want to thank so many people for everything, my Campaign manager for his... unorthodox views on how a campaign should be run. My communications Director who corrects my spelling," he winked at Lisa, "my assistant Alicia who kept me sane after late nights trying to get elected. But most importantly I want to thank the guy that has stood by my side and offered me nothing but unconditional love. Marc."

* * *

Will stared about him as the hall was nearly empty, resting an arm on the podium and taking a long breath as he allowed the fact that he had won sink in. He took off his glasses and tucked them into his pocket taking a long breath as stood there.

He wondered what advice Robert would have had for him at that moment. The old man robustly chuckling at the mess Will found himself in, adding his sage advice to point his young protégé in the right direction. Some warm words of encouragement that nothing was as dark as it seemed, looking at what he had just won.

He affixed Robert's voice as best he could, "You did well today," He smiled sadly realizing how much he missed the old man.

This was supposed to be one of the biggest days of his life. He'd accomplished a massive victory. He was a Member of Parliament...the Honourable Mister William Carter representing Toronto-Centre... there was one word that stood out in the forefront of his mind.

"A man is bound by his honour." Major David Carter said, and Will could almost picture his father standing on the stage beside him lecturing him again on the definitions of what duty and honour was, "A man has a duty and that duty must be fulfilled, if you know the difference between right and wrong and choose to ignore it how honourable are you?"

In Will's minds eye he could see the stern man staring at him, endeavouring to press home his point. But how could he justify it this time? Everyone around him was counting on him to do the right thing, and yet if he did it would ruin someone he cared deeply about. If he just let it go, ignored it like everyone else...

Robert Avery's voice of warning replaced the lecturing tone of his fathers, "A man of honour should never forget what he is because he sees what others are."

Will frowned at that, walking down off of the podium through the nearly deserted hall and stopping to pick up a sign with his name on it, he brushed it off and set it aside. It wasn't about politics; it wasn't about the battles he could win as opposed to the ones that would cost him too much. People hadn't elected him to his position expecting him to play politics and hide from the tough choices. They had chosen him because he was an honourable man.

He nodded as he walked to the doors of the hall, returning to his office, he had to pack and return to Ottawa, there was a session of Parliament the next day and he was expected to be there, settling in to his new position and fulfilling his obligations.

Alicia was standing by the door with his coat and a suitcase, she gave him one of her patented smiles as he slipped the coat on, "Does this mean I get to keep my job?" she said with a waggle of her eyebrows.

Will smiled at her as he tugged his gloves on, "I'm going to need you back in Ottawa, some one has to break in the new office staff and bring me coffee."

"Just because you're an MP doesn't mean I'll fetch you coffee," she said firmly.

Will smiled at her, "let me explain this to you again, me boss... you assistant..."

She grinned as she led the way out to the car, "I booked the flight, we should be in Ottawa in two hours."

Will smiled getting into the car and blinking at the full house, Brody in the front seat looking relaxed, Marc in the back holding a carryon bag and smiling. Will said in the middle as Alicia crowded in beside him.

"You know," Will said, "I'm an MP I shouldn't be riding squashed in the back..."

Brody turned his head with a broad smile, "I don't ride in the back."

"Well," Will said with a sigh, "Guess this is it, driver."

"Yes, sir?" the driver asked turning slightly.

"To the airport." Will said

* * *

They were tucked into the plane; Marc curled up beside him asleep as they flew high over Ontario. Will sat staring at nothing, his fingers brushing his temple as he sat and studied his options over in his mind.

If he was going to fight this battle he needed to find out who delivered him the evidence. He reflected on it, who would have access to the shadow minister's bank book and personal papers.

Will struggled to remember the woman that had dropped them off to him, an older woman that he had just dismissed as a secretary at the time... his head snapped up and he looked across the plane to where Alicia and Lisa were sitting together and he got up, careful not to disturb Marc as he slept.

He knelt down beside them and looked at them both, "I need a womans perspective on something." He said shifting a little bit, "There was a woman that came into my office a couple of months ago, I need to figure out who she is..."

"What was she wearing?" Lisa asked closing her laptop and looking at him.

"It was November," Will said, "Just before Robert... well she was wearing a long coat..."

"Wool or cashmere or a trench?" Alicia asked him.

Will shrugged, "Wool or cashmere... but it was well cut and beige..."

"Cashmere," Alicia said, "They're in fashion this season."

Lisa nodded, "What about her shoes?"

Will shook his head, "High heeled I think..."

"So she wasn't an office girl." Alicia stated, "Ever try to work an eight hour day in pumps? Oww!" she winced at the memory.

"She could be, but I agree with Ali, there is no way any sensible woman would wear pumps all day at the office. Plus with the coat, she's no secretary, or if she is she's one that her boss likes... a lot."

Will's smile broadened wolfishly as he stood up, "You have no idea how much you two have just helped me out." He said with a smile.

* * *

It took a little effort, but Will placed a few phone calls and had made sure to pull a few strings with some of his friends in the heritage department and he returned home the next evening with a couple of tickets in his pocket and a confident smile on his face.

Marc was sitting working on some homework as he walked in, and looked up from his books with a confused look, "What?" he asked seeing Will looking at him.

"Remember you said you wanted to go to the NAC when we first arrived in Ottawa?" Will said leaning in the doorway to the living room.

"Yeah?" marc said recalling the conversation, "You said Christmas."

"It is Christmas, all but." Will said with a warm smile as he produced a pair of tickets to the nutcracker, "And I like to live up to my promises."

Marc stood up astounded, "How did you get those, I thought..."

Will smiled, "There are advantages to being a politician." He glanced upstairs, "It starts in two hours, think you can get back into that Tux for me?"

Marc shook his head, "You just want to see me in it again, and didn't get enough of me all dressed up at your fundraiser?"

"Not particularly, I just like you in..." The door crashed open and a small, blonde young man wrapped Will in a bear hug from behind causing him to stumble forward a few steps in surprise.

Will lifted his arms and turned to face Peter who had locked his arms around him and was grinning at him with a mile wide smile, "Congratulations." Peter said still grinning.

"Thanks," Will said patiently looking down at the young man that was fast growing up on him. On impulse he reached down ad stole Peter's visor and tucked it on his own head, it sat at a crooked angle as Will smiled at him.

Peter grinned at him and tilted it a bit, "You know you would have made a cool Skater kid."

"Too old," Marc said with a cheeky grin as he got up and walked upstairs to get ready for the NAC.

Will shrugged at Peter as he returned the visor, walking up the stairs to get dressed himself, confident that everything was going to go according to plan.

* * *

The National Art's Center was a strangely modern building fantastic architecture supposedly hexagons interlocking with each other giving shelter to two main stages a studio and a smaller cabaret style stage. It could offer a variety of venues for a variety of styles of performances from classical music through to opera, dance to theatre and the occasional Burt Bacherac performance.

There was a sense of apprehension as Ottawa's cultural elite had gathered, filtering through the ticket lines to be shown to their various seats. The boxes and Orchestra center left, naturally, being the prized seats, everyone else being shown to the galleries, or the mezzanine.

"Where are we?" Marc asked nervously looking around and fiddling with his bow tie.

Will held up his tickets, "I promised you a night out, I made sure to get box seats." He said as he handed the tickets across to the young woman, who recognized him and smiled. He nodded back to her as they walked up the stairs towards their seats.

"You got us box seats?" Marc said incredulously, "Isn't that expensive?"

Will smiled again as he took Marc's arm gently, "I had a hunch this would be important."

Marc looked at his cryptic boyfriend but shrugged as he let Will hold the door to their box open and step inside.

It had cost Will little to pull this favour, four tickets to the most sought after show in town, on its opening night in some of the best seats in the house. It ws the kind of bait that anyone used to Ottawa's society couldn't simply ignore. Will had known that when he had sent the other two tickets that morning.

Will acted surprised when the Shadow Minister of Heritage turned and blinked recognizing him. The French conservative stood up and bowed his head. But Will wasn't paying him much mind as he politely shook the man's hand and introduced his fiancé. It was when the Minister introduced Will to a woman Will had already had the pleasure of meeting once before. The Minister's wife.

She recognized him immediately, even though her husband had no clue, and as they four of them sat down, Will Smiled to himself sitting back into his chair to watch the show.

Game, set, match.

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Will definitely has the smarts to be a politician. But does he have too much integrity for the position? 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..