Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,022 Words
  • 3,668 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Fortress - 9. Chapter 9

Will removed his glasses and polished them with the end of his tie. Not the most glamorous method but effective. He was leaning against the edge of his desk, watching CPAC on the small television he kept on a shelf for exactly this purpose.

Every one of the minister's senior aides were glued to the same channel watching the first time Robert Avery attended a Parliamentary question time. Everyone collectively holding their breaths for the inevitable questions that would come over the various issues. Like any new cabinet minister Robert would have to weather a firestorm of questions directed by the opposition who wanted to sound him out, to see if they could provoke him into saying something that would embarrass him. The quicker the opposition could provoke a response, the easier it would be for them to discredit him in the future.

Alicia stepped into his office, handing him a steaming mug of coffee as she took a seat beside him, keeping quiet as she watched to see how their minister handled himself. There was a sense of apprehension in the air, the whole office felt as if they had something invested in the minister, something that made him their minister. It was that sense of ownership that made them all stop and collectively hold their breaths.

So far the questions directed at the minister had been tame. Members of the opposition party putting feelers out to see what Robert would react to. Robert Avery was a board room veteran, a businessman that had stood up to hostile take overs, back room deals and the ambitious backstabbing of ambitious men. The verbal sparring that was going on now failed to provoke any kind of response in Robert, he delivered the facts and maintained his stoic, emotionless façade that made him such an effective poker player.

Will folded his arms, keeping the mug of coffee in his hands, looking up and out of his office across the bullpen to where Lisa was standing in the midst of her communications staff. A circle of notepads and scrawling pens, keeping an eye out for anything that could send them scurrying for damage control.

She returned the glance with a tense nod as she returned her attention to the screen. So far this was the minor league, the one real threat, the shadow minister for heritage had yet to voice any questions.

"Come on." Will urged as the camera zeroed in on the conservative front bench where the shadow minister was sitting. But disappointingly the leader of the opposition rose in his stead to deliver a string of scathing remarks directed at the prime minister thinly veiled as a question. Typically a waste of time as the personal war between the two men was already well documented. It was all showmanship and was met by cheers and jeers from both sides of the house.

"Why isn't he...?" Alicia was the first to voice what was on each of their minds. Will glanced down at her, his brow furrowed as he looked back at the screen. She was right, so far the Shadow Heritage minister hadn't moved or made any attempt to offer comment.

Will watched, waiting for the one question he was dreading. The Exhibition center was their Achilles heel; it was the one issue that Robert had made it clear he did not support. To be called out on it in Parliament would only invite disaster. And the Shadow Minister had to know that.

"Come on you son of a bitch." Will breathed, as if daring the man to get up for his obligatory question, "Show us what you've got."

"He can't hear you." Alicia commented not turning from the screen, "But what's he waiting for?"

"I don't know." Will replied frowning, "It doesn't make sense."

He walked around his desk and sat down thoroughly perplexed. He disliked miscalculating, had all the people that had warned him about the shadow minister been exaggerating? Could this man really be as ineffective as he appeared on the small screen, sitting quietly and almost sheepish?

Will looked up again as the camera panned passed him, there was quiet calculation about the man. He looked intelligent, and his bearing said he was a man that was used to the House of Commons and wasn't about to be intimidated into silence.

When the man stood up, Will was on his feet again. Here was what they were dreading, the moment they had all been waiting for.

The man spoke elegantly, in a heavily Albertan accent... and asked a question about multiculturalism and the effects of the government policy on job creation programs. A strong question, but not what anyone had been expecting.

The camera panned back to Avery, who was on his feet and stepping forward to the podium to respond, had a momentary look of surprise on his face but the great man took it in his stride as he formed a coherent and comprehensive answer. And that was it.

Will sat back down, even more perplexed it was a valid question, but wasn't what was expected at all. He looked down at his desk where the newspapers that had picked up on the issue. There was a public stirring and it was the Shadow minister's job, as heritage critic to call attention to it.

Lisa was in the doorway to his office almost as soon as the question period was over, she held up her clipboard in a questioning gesture, "What the hell was that?" she asked obviously as confused as Will was.

"I have no idea." Will replied already flipping open his laptop to compose a string of emails, "My best guess is that they know something more than we do, and they are waiting to get confirmation."

Lisa crossed her arms, "You think they are onto a scandal?"

"I have no idea," Will said honestly, "Alicia," he turned, "I need you to get me everything we have on the exhibition, and I need those reports from Public Works."

"Right boss." Alicia said springing into action, already up and out of his office.

Will looked over at Lisa, "We're going to need something for the press in case they sniff out the same thing we are."

Lisa looked thoughtful, "It's going to be hard since we don't know what is going on, I could compose something generic and that should let us fill out the details later."

Will nodded, "do it and get it back to me before the end of the day. Also if you see wither of the interns..."

"Tom and Julie," Lisa supplied.

Will nodded, "yes them, if you see either of them get them to help Alicia," Will glanced at his watch, "I should meet the Minister at Parliament and brief him on what's going on..."

Lisa paused and gave him a nod, "You're becoming quite the spin doctor." She observed.

"Let's just hope it doesn't come to that." Will replied, "we need to stay one step ahead on this."

* * *

Will met Avery in the foyer outside of the House of Commons. The press scrum lurked off to the side, looking for their chance to descend upon the ministers as they emerged from the house to return to their business.

Robert politely answered questions of reporters that stuck cameras in his face as he walked through the crowd towards his aide. Will nodded and fell into step beside the minister listening to the barrage of questions that were being fired off. What did the minister think of this issue, how did he feel about the governments stance on that. Occasionally there was a question directed that concerned the heritage issues and Robert always paused long enough to answer those questions without hesitation.

They had managed to make it down the stairs when the inevitable question came at them, thrown by a reporter from the CBC. "Excuse me Minister, but what is your position on the new Heritage Center in Toronto?"

Robert zeroed in on another question concerning the government's plans for health care and how he felt that with time and energy they would be able to provide a better healthcare system.

They were outside and into the car before the reporter got a second chance to ask his question.

"My god," Robert breathed, "they're like a pack of wolves."

Will nodded, "They're the press it's expected..."

"Oh I'm not talking about the press," Robert shook his head, "I meant the opposition party, they were playing dirty."

The old man rubbed his beard as he sat back into the Lincoln's cushions and watched the car pull out into Confederation square, whisking them towards the bridge and back towards the Gatineau offices.

Will nodded, "I can imagine, but all things considered they took it easy on you."

Robert nodded, "I noticed that, the Heritage critic wasn't exactly on the ball now was he?"

"We think they've found something we've missed." Will said truthfully.

"Oh god," Robert murmured rubbing his forehead, "This damned project, if they had any sense they would never have started it."

"I know," Will replied, "How did the caucus meeting this morning go?"

"I can't talk about it," Robert said, "Just that we're stuck with this project thanks to that Boucher weasel."

"No chance of getting our proposals before a committee?" Will asked hopefully.

"None." Robert replied, "there just isn't time."

"Right then," Will said pulling out his PDA and making a few notes, "I'm going to make some arrangements and get the concerts going after Christmas..."

Robert nodded, "Good, I want to push that agenda. Now onto other matters, I have a meeting with the first Nations chief at the end of the week."

"Yes," Will replied, "We're flying out to Iqaluit the day before."

"Good," Robert stated as he settled and glanced at Will, "be sure to pack for cold weather."

"Huh?" Will asked looking up.

Robert suppressed a smile, "you are aware of where Iqaluit is aren't you?"

Will had to admit that he had no clue whatsoever.

"Nunavut." Robert said with great enjoyment at Will's reaction, "truly the great white north."

"That's the Arctic." Will said, digesting the fact that he had agreed to go with Robert on the trip.

Robert smiled, "Yes it snowed there this morning." He smiled, "So I'd suggest long johns."

"Dear god." Will intoned staring out of the window as the realization he was bound for the one thing most Canadians avoided like the plague, snow. "How do I tell Lisa?"

Robert chuckled, "I doubt she will find humour in it." He considered a moment, "Perhaps if I suggest she bring her husband along?"

Will shivered involuntarily thinking about the cold, "That would work, they've needed time alone together, even if it is in a frozen wasteland for a couple of days."

Robert nodded, "good, you should bring yours as well." Robert's eyes flicked to Will's. It was no secret that Robert disliked Marc, there was the natural disdain that a father held for anyone that had dated his daughter, and it had taken a long time for him to become used to the fact that his Protégé was now dating the same man.

"Thank you," Will replied sounding a little uncertain as the car pulled up outside the offices, and Will got out to hold the door open for the Minister. He glanced up at the trees, noting the changing colours of the leaves; soon they would all be rich shades of red and yellows as Fall dwindled into winter.

Robert emerged from the car and led the way into the building, sparing only a passing glance for what Will was staring at. "Early Winter this year." He said with a tight, humourless smile. And Will blinked wondering how the old man knew that, but then realized Robert was making a joke about the approaching Nunavut trip.

"You are a heartless bastard sometimes." Will replied as he followed the Minister inside.

"I am a politician," Robert said tapping the elevator button, "I'm not supposed to have a heart or a soul, it's a job requirement."

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Interesting... I wonder if the media/opposition has picked up on the relationship between the Public Works aide and the developer 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..