Jump to content
    totallyy
  • Author
  • 1,639 Words
  • 1,338 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wedding Jitters - 1. Chapter 1

Prompt 253: The Secret.

I gently pinned the white rose to my lapel. The mirror reflected a man I hardly recognised. Brown hair groomed to perfection, sitting obediently atop my head. A tuxedo jacket clung onto my shoulders, tapering into my slim waist. The crisp white shirt caressed the lines of my torso, tucking into a pair of tapered tuxedo trousers at my waist. The trousers ended without break below my ankles, revealing polished leather shoes. I smiled for practice.

“Trevor,” I heard my mother calling out from behind the door.

“Yes, mother,” I hollered, walking over to welcome her in.

The wooden door swung open to reveal a goddess. Deep purple swathed her petite frame, coming to an end at her knees. She stood atop wedges sandals that had her standing eye-to-eye with me. Her greying hair had been left in its usual bob, the ends curling slightly. Her face bore the marks and lines of her years but she wore them proud. Jade adorned her ears and neck.

Her favourite stone, I mused.

“Oh Trevor,” she gasped as she pulled me into her embrace.

The warmth that radiated from her had me tumbling through time: the smell of grass after rain, lullabies and kisses on my forehead.

I felt her bones through the fabric as I wrapped my arms around her torso.

How brittle they feel, I thought, remembering the sturdiness that had comforted me when I was a child and realised in that instant, that there was nothing I wanted more than to be that bright-eyed ten-year-old.

The warmth of my mother’s embrace dissolved as she pulled back. Her eyes glistened as she stepped aside to let my father in.

His grey hair had thinned further at the crown since the last time I saw him. Two deep blue eyes sat behind thick glasses like sapphires set in their sockets, lines creasing at the outer corner of his eyes.

“Father,” I greeted him.

“Son,” he nodded, smiling as he clapped me on my back.

His usually sharp and discerning eyes seemed unfocused: the same eyes which had narrowed and pierced through the half-truths I told as a child, extorting confessions from my guilty conscience.

I guided them to the couch in the room and sat with them.

“You’re getting married,” my mother said, looking wistful.

“Yes, I am,” I enthused, engaging my practised smile.

Father looked away.

“Actually… we have something to tell you Trevor,” she said, looking at me through a veil of thoughts.

“You’re not about to tell me that you don’t approve, are you?” I joked.

My words lingered heavily in the air as the silence weighed down my grin.

Mother saw my fallen face and interjected, “No, nothing like that.”

“It’s just we need to tell you something before you….,” she paused, “start a new life.”

“O…kay,” I said, wary.

“Just know that, no matter what, you’ll always be our son. We’ll always love you,” my mother rambled, looking flustered.

“Just tell me already,” I said impatiently, nerves tangling in the pit of my stomach.

My parents looked away as tension permeated the air.

“You were adopted,” my father finally said, their eyes still focused on objects in the far corners of the room.

Laughter burst forth from my lips as my parents turned round to look at me: Mother wringing her hands repeatedly as she fingered the golden ring that held her in an eternal promise while Father tapped his pudgy fingers against the top of his lap.

I gathered myself as the last of the laughter left my body in snorts and huffs of air.

“I already knew that,” I said, grinning widely.

“But how?” my mother asked, incredulous.

“Remember when I was twelve and came home asking if you could roll your tongue?” I asked.

My mother nodded as a look of confusion settled on my father’s face.

“Well, neither of you could, and I’ve always been able to,” I explained, rolling my tongue for emphasis.

“It’s one of those genetics things,” I explained, as I watched my mother and father pass looks of perplexity between each other.

“So you’ve known all this time?” my father asked, worried.

“Well, I slowly pieced it together from what everybody was saying about how we never looked much alike and the tongue-rolling incident pretty much confirmed it,” I recounted.

“We’re sorry we kept it from you for so long,” my mother apologised. I watched as the worry continued to cloud her eyes.

“I was angry at first, and frustrated. But you’ve never been anything but a mother and father to me. You’re always going to be my mom and dad,” I said, the last words coming out softly.

“I forgave you a long time ago.”

I waited for the relief to soothe the worry in their eyes. I waited for them to wrap their arms around me and tell me they loved me. I was left waiting.

“That’s just like you, Trevor,” my mother said, “so forgiving.”

She held my gaze: a worried, loving look

“Why can’t you be that way with yourself?” she whispered.

I looked at her, confused.

“We’ve always known you were gay,” she said.

A silence stretched out between us. My jaw tensed. I pressed my lips together. A steel wall slammed down inside me.

“Don’t do that,” my mother cooed, as she reached out to stroke my face.

“Don’t fight yourself anymore. Don’t run away.”

She slid over to my side and put her frail hand around my shoulders, pulling my head down onto her bony shoulder.

The comfort of her fingers running through my hair and the warmth of her arms made me feel like a child again: lost and unsure.

My jaw twitched, lip trembled and the wall inside me crumbled. Strength slowly leeched out of my pores as I leaned against my mother: her aged bones holding up my limp frame. Numbness flooded my body: my mind wandering through a narcotic haze.

“You don’t have to do this,” her voice floated to me.

“Don’t do this to yourself.”

“Don’t do this to Gladys.”

“You deserve to be happy.”

“You deserve more.”

I heard her words but their meaning eluded me. I just lay on my mother’s shoulder, staring blankly into space.

Cold hands grasped the sides of my face, shaking gently. My eyes focused on the face in front of me. Lines creased her forehead: evidence of her years, grey eyes gazed at me; pain and love swirling behind a layer of unshed tears.

“I love her,” I said flatly.

“Do you love her enough?” my mother asked.

There was no judgement in her voice. There was neither disappointment nor disdain. She just asked.

I looked away.

“Why would you think I am gay?” I asked, my voice shaking with a mixture of anger and fear.

“We heard you,” my father spoke.

He removed the glasses that balanced delicately on the bridge of his nose and pinched the corner of his eyes together. He returned the instrument of sight back to its position and sunk into the couch cushions, shoulders slumped in fatigue.

“When you were fifteen, we heard you crying out in your bedroom. We watched as you thrashed about in your sleep, heartbroken. We knew not to wake you. You were in such a delicate stage: so insistent on being independent. You spoke in your sleep, ‘I don’t want to be gay, I can’t.’ and we watched as you cried, ‘I’m not!’” my mother explained, tears finally falling unwillingly from her eyes, clinging to the sides of her face.

“Immediately, I knew I didn’t care. I wanted to tell you it didn’t matter, that I’d love you anyway. But you had a difficult adolescence; you were so angry, so stubborn. Each time I brought up something to do with it, you would be so aggressively defensive. I just wished I would have broached the subject directly,” she continued, her eyes darting to her hands.

“Why didn’t you?” I asked.

“We thought you’d come to terms with it. You seemed happy when you left for college. You seemed determined. We waited for you to come home with someone. We waited for the opportunity to tell you how it didn’t matter. We waited for the day that we could look back and laugh at how we always knew. But the day never came,” my father replied.

I watched the two of them lean in, waiting for a response, waiting for me.

“I was afraid,” I confessed, shame and guilt weighing down my gaze.

“My own parents didn’t fucking want me,” I cussed.

I lifted my eyes. Hurt flickered in their eyes.

I lowered my voice, “And then, you came along and gave me such a beautiful family. You showered me with love. You made me who I am.”

Memories flooded my senses as the joy that emanated from them elicited a smile.

“And despite everything you tried to tell me about loving me no matter what, I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to. I really wanted to. But I couldn’t. I was so afraid,” I continued, my voice cracking.

A teardrop broke the surface of the pool that gathered in my eyes, rolling quietly down my cheeks, leaving a trail of itself behind with every inch, eventually running out.

“I just didn’t want to ruin the one beautiful thing I had.”

A warm hand clasped my own, squeezing it tightly.

“I just want to be alone right now,” I pleaded.

“We understand,” my mother replied, eyes downcast.

Then, she looked back up at me.

“But you have a choice to make, Trevor,” she said.

As they rose and walked towards the door, Mother turned her head, looking at me piercingly with her grey eyes.

“This time, choose you,” her voice pleading, as the door clicked shut.

Copyright © 2013 totallyy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Trevor. He isn't the first not to be able to come to terms with who he is or the last. I am just glad his parents are there to support him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/13/2013 12:07 PM, comicfan said:
Poor Trevor. He isn't the first not to be able to come to terms with who he is or the last. I am just glad his parents are there to support him.
sigh. he really has to face up to his abandonment issues. :( but yeah. it's so sad though, that it's even a problem to begin with.

 

thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 08/13/2013 10:24 PM, nostic said:
your story made me cry...good job!
awww.... tissues? :hug:

 

thanks for the great review? i think :D

Link to comment

Nice one. I love the beginning, the part where everything is perfect and you say he practised the smile. Careful hints here and there. Well done.

 

For all your stories, I love the ending. You always end on the perfect note. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/14/2013 01:40 AM, Ieshwar said:
Nice one. I love the beginning, the part where everything is perfect and you say he practised the smile. Careful hints here and there. Well done.

 

For all your stories, I love the ending. You always end on the perfect note. :)

beginnings and endings are the most attractive part of the story for me. an opening paragraph with a strange sentence or a subtle play on words excite me. and i think the last sentence of a story is highly likely the one detail that gets imprinted into the mind.

 

At least that's the way it is for me.

 

I'm really glad you enjoy my works! :blushing:

 

Thanks for the great review! :hug:

Link to comment

I swear. I bet when you come close to your keyboard, the keys start singing in happiness, knowing you are fixing to write beautiful things with them. You never cease to amaze me. Great work!

Link to comment
On 08/14/2013 03:45 AM, joann414 said:
I swear. I bet when you come close to your keyboard, the keys start singing in happiness, knowing you are fixing to write beautiful things with them. You never cease to amaze me. Great work!
Awwwww :*)

 

Thanks for such the great review.

 

These days though... the keyboard seems to be stuttering and stammering. :( i might just write something that's more moment oriented. this story had me feeling disconnected a little.

 

But I love that you enjoy it!!!! :thankyou:

Link to comment

Good short stories are like good songs. They have you repeating the best lines. In a song, you might hum them. But in a short story, you read them, sigh at how good they are, forget them and then find them again. And somewhere along the line they begin to hum in the subconscious recesses of your mind.

That's why, after having read this first a couple of days ago, I waited until now to review it. I enjoyed remembering the lines.

Specifically, I love this one: "Two deep blue eyes sat behind thick glasses like sapphires set in their sockets, lines creasing at the outer corner of his eyes."

Listen up, budding writers! This is a prime example of how using a cliche can help your writing and not all cliches are inherently bad. How many times have we heard blue eyes compared to sapphires and eyes compared to jewels? Too many, I say. But here we have a rare specimen, indeed. This is a sentence that conveys so many things!

My interpretation is that the owner of these eyes is a thinker, but he does not often voice his thoughts. He is a rock that does not move very often. This is suggested by repeating the color of his eyes. Normally, sapphire is all you need, but we get deep blue in addition and on top of that these eyes "sat" behind "thick" walls of glass, which are very apt words.

The sapphire comparison gives us a hint as to the values of the narrator. He loves his guardians and values his dad's soul like a jewel. The eyes that stared at him in many different ways growing up. The eyes that trapped his gaze. Because we already heard something like this with the mother, we are prepared as readers to be drawn into this appraisal of the narrator's father. So when the later sentence comes that says his father is discerning and could ferret out half-truths, we are just not reading exposition, we are reading an echo of an excellent character portrayal that influences both sides.

Finally, the lines creasing around the sapphires imply this man is old. No duh, you might say. Ah, but it's the beauty of the comparison. If this was an object with sapphires embedded in it and it had lines creased all around it, we might be concerned that the sapphires would soon fall out. That's a nasty image for eyes, you say? Yeah, perhaps, but it's also a hint that diamonds don't last forever and a really nice turn on another cliched depiction of old age.

I could go on and on and on about so many other excellent sentences in this story. However, there is one sentence that irks me. One, that no matter I interpret it or re-read it or re-consider it, still makes me say, "Nope." It's this one: "Deep purple swathed her petite frame, coming to an end at her knees." The image I get, no matter how hard I try to correct it, is of the Purple People Eater doing unspeakable things to the late Jessica Tandy. I doubt that's the image the author was aiming for!

But one bunk sentence hardly counts for anything when all the rest glitter like they do. In a novel, you can't always afford to have every sentence be royalty. But in a short story, you can't afford not to. And this is one of those short stories that proves how valuable polishing a sentence can be! Bravo!

Link to comment
On 08/18/2013 01:06 AM, thebrinkoftime said:
Good short stories are like good songs. They have you repeating the best lines. In a song, you might hum them. But in a short story, you read them, sigh at how good they are, forget them and then find them again. And somewhere along the line they begin to hum in the subconscious recesses of your mind.

That's why, after having read this first a couple of days ago, I waited until now to review it. I enjoyed remembering the lines.

Specifically, I love this one: "Two deep blue eyes sat behind thick glasses like sapphires set in their sockets, lines creasing at the outer corner of his eyes."

Listen up, budding writers! This is a prime example of how using a cliche can help your writing and not all cliches are inherently bad. How many times have we heard blue eyes compared to sapphires and eyes compared to jewels? Too many, I say. But here we have a rare specimen, indeed. This is a sentence that conveys so many things!

My interpretation is that the owner of these eyes is a thinker, but he does not often voice his thoughts. He is a rock that does not move very often. This is suggested by repeating the color of his eyes. Normally, sapphire is all you need, but we get deep blue in addition and on top of that these eyes "sat" behind "thick" walls of glass, which are very apt words.

The sapphire comparison gives us a hint as to the values of the narrator. He loves his guardians and values his dad's soul like a jewel. The eyes that stared at him in many different ways growing up. The eyes that trapped his gaze. Because we already heard something like this with the mother, we are prepared as readers to be drawn into this appraisal of the narrator's father. So when the later sentence comes that says his father is discerning and could ferret out half-truths, we are just not reading exposition, we are reading an echo of an excellent character portrayal that influences both sides.

Finally, the lines creasing around the sapphires imply this man is old. No duh, you might say. Ah, but it's the beauty of the comparison. If this was an object with sapphires embedded in it and it had lines creased all around it, we might be concerned that the sapphires would soon fall out. That's a nasty image for eyes, you say? Yeah, perhaps, but it's also a hint that diamonds don't last forever and a really nice turn on another cliched depiction of old age.

I could go on and on and on about so many other excellent sentences in this story. However, there is one sentence that irks me. One, that no matter I interpret it or re-read it or re-consider it, still makes me say, "Nope." It's this one: "Deep purple swathed her petite frame, coming to an end at her knees." The image I get, no matter how hard I try to correct it, is of the Purple People Eater doing unspeakable things to the late Jessica Tandy. I doubt that's the image the author was aiming for!

But one bunk sentence hardly counts for anything when all the rest glitter like they do. In a novel, you can't always afford to have every sentence be royalty. But in a short story, you can't afford not to. And this is one of those short stories that proves how valuable polishing a sentence can be! Bravo!

I think this might be the most heartwarming review I have ever gotten, and I mean EVER! Holy jdkhjkldahjlkf! :D

 

I'm so honoured that you think so highly of my writing. I'm honestly beyond grateful for this review! I spent hours pouring over sentences that sit uncomfortably with me and try to illustrate these scenes in the very limits of language and it's just so wonderful to have you appreciate that.

 

You, my good sir, is a prime motivating factor for me to continue writing. :)

 

:thankyou:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..