Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Matter of Perspective - 3. Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Someone to Listen

Jennifer became my only friend and helped me make it through my sophomore and junior years. Without her, I don’t think I’d have ever made it. Without her, I was alone. My parents drug me to church every Sunday, hoping they might save my soul. I’m kind of a meek kid and went, not just because they made me, but because I believe in God and believe God loves me, gay or not. Too bad my parents or the members of our church don’t believe it. During church services, adults and kids would look over at me. Sometimes, I’d see the younger ones pointing at me, and their parents telling them to stop it. Occasionally, the minister would talk about the evils of sex and homosexuality. And he always managed to take a quick glance at me.

Besides Jennifer and God, one other thing saved me, my smartphone. I bought it with my own money from a summer job I no longer had. Some of it was in my savings account. I opened a checking account and put the money in there so I could pay my phone bill every month. At least my parents continued to feed and clothe me. Otherwise, I don’t know what I’d have done.

My phone gave me contact with another world where I spent my free time looking at porn and reading gay stories. After all, I am gay. What else can a lonely gay boy do? The amount of gay stories on the Internet really surprised me. Living in the mountains, I often went fishing by myself or took walks with Max, my golden lab. I almost forgot about Max. (Sorry Max) He was my closest and best friend. He stood by me. He didn’t care if I was gay. I talked to him and cried with him. Max listened to me and didn’t care about the tears on his back or on his neck as I hugged him close. If you took all my tears from the time I came out until the spring of my junior year, they would have filled buckets.

Jennifer and I talked every day. If I didn’t see her at school, we’d talk on the phone at night. She didn’t care if I cried. She didn’t say only gay boys cry. She just let me cry as I tried my best to talk to her while wiping my runny nose and the tears from my cheeks.

“Don’t worry Willy.” She liked to call me Willy. “Everything will get better. Just hang in there.”

“I think I’m going in the Army after I graduate.”

“Don’t do that. You could get killed.”

“I know. I just as well be dead anyway. But what can I do. My parents aren’t going to help with college. At least in the Army I can get some training, and they’ll pay for college when I’m done.”

“Maybe so, but there have to be other ways.”

“Tell me!”

She stopped to think. “Well, you could go to community college.”

“Yeah, but I’d still be here with the same people who hate me.”

She giggled. “You gotta point.”

“So the Army it is, and if I die, maybe it will finally put me out of my misery.”

“Don’t talk like that. You’re special. You’re smart. You’ll make it. Believe in yourself. You’re my gay best friend. And yes, if you weren’t gay, maybe more than that.”

“Sorry, Jennifer. But I’m gay and we’ll just have to be friends.”

“You’re so cute. You’re going to make me cry.”

*****

Jennifer didn’t come to my house because of my parents, so I went to hers. We spent a lot of time in her bedroom talking. Most other guys would have killed to be in a girl’s bedroom on a regular basis, but not me.

Her parents didn’t mind me being The Gay Boy. That’s probably why Jennifer didn’t care either. They often fed me and were probably glad I was gay and not trying to seduce their daughter, who was a year younger than me. Jennifer’s nice looking and has an enticing smile. Not beautiful, but nice on the eyes. She has a good figure. It didn’t mean anything to me because I was far more interested in a guy’s figure than a girl’s.

We were in her bedroom lying next to each other on her bed one afternoon, when I turned my head to her. “I have to tell you something.”

“What?”

“I’ve been reading this gay story called Knots. It’s about two boys and the knots they tie in their lives. You know. We all tie them. I tied a big one when I came out of the closet. Anyway, the idea of tying knots intrigued me. The image stuck in my head. There’s some sex in it, but it’s not the sex. It’s the story. I love it when either of the boys, Matt or Andy, reflect on what they’ve done and how it affects them. It’s like they’re letting me in on their biggest secrets. I wrote the author a short email. I was a little afraid at first since I’m only seventeen and maybe too young to be reading these stories, so didn’t tell him my age. He’s older. I think in his seventies.”

Jennifer gave me a look of surprise. “And he writes young adult gay porn?”

“Yep.”

“Did he write you back?”

She rolled on her side to look at me. I rolled toward her. “Yeah, the next day. That was way back in April. He said thanks for following and told me he appreciated my nice comments. I kept reading and wrote him another email again telling him how much I liked his story. He wrote back right away with another thank you. It was then I started wondering if he’d be willing to be my mentor. I’m miserable and don’t have an adult to talk too. I’ve been thinking maybe I could talk to him.”

Jennifer rolled on her back as I did the same. She grabbed my hand and held it. “Do you think that’s a good idea? Why don’t you go online to well-known safe chat rooms and talk to other gay teens?”

“I made the mistake of listening to all that bullshit on YouTube and look where it got me. No other gay guys came out of the closet. I’m thrown against the lockers almost every day, and I’m a leper to everyone but you. Those YouTube videos made it sound like it was the right thing to do. The people on those chat lines will tell me to hang in there and be honest about who I am. They’ll tell me how hard it was for them, but they’re making it. And as you know, misery loves company, so I’d be hanging out with a lot of other miserable gay guys. Coming out sounds good when you see and hear them say it, but the reality in my life has given me nothing but despair. It might have been different if we didn’t live in the boonies and went to a big high school. Why couldn’t I be like everyone else instead of The Gay Kid?”

Jennifer squeezed my hand. “And you think this old guy is going to be able to help?”

I squeezed back. “I don’t know, but it’s worth a try. Things couldn’t get worse. Maybe he’s a wise old man. It seems like it from his writing.”

If you like this story, please write a review, click like, and follow me. Contact me at eliassctt@gmail.com I answer all emails.
This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are fictional and created by the author. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, events or locales, is purely coincidental and no slanderous intent is implied
Elias Donovan Scott
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, Elias, I'm all caught up with this one, I hope it isn't going to be 'On Hold' for long. I'm eager to learn what happens with Will, and am glad he's got Jennifer to help him cope. I really get his point about videos making him think coming out was a good thing, and maybe it would have been in another place...but at least it isn't worse. Writing to an older man to seek mentoring is a brave thing, and could be a great help to him. Overwhelming events can often be given a little more human scale when viewed from another frame of reference, which Will badly needs.
More please, my friend!
I have to find where I left off with Knots V, and get caught up there too. :)

Link to comment
On 04/18/2016 08:46 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well, Elias, I'm all caught up with this one, I hope it isn't going to be 'On Hold' for long. I'm eager to learn what happens with Will, and am glad he's got Jennifer to help him cope. I really get his point about videos making him think coming out was a good thing, and maybe it would have been in another place...but at least it isn't worse. Writing to an older man to seek mentoring is a brave thing, and could be a great help to him. Overwhelming events can often be given a little more human scale when viewed from another frame of reference, which Will badly needs.

More please, my friend!

I have to find where I left off with Knots V, and get caught up there too. :)

Columbus Guy, I'm going to post three chapters a week. The book is already completed. I didn't have any idea that the chapters were so short until I saw the word count for each chapter.

Link to comment

This story seems VERY familiar to me... I wonder if that author of Knots is as wise as Will is hoping... heehee

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..