Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 5,947 Words
  • 1,063 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Spring - It Wasn't Me Entry

Look away Dickie - 1. Act 1

Look Away Dickie

By W.L

 

Background: Erik and Bastian have enjoyed the greatest joys in life. They were best friends in school and became lovers as they got older. They might not have been married in the eyes of others, but they were happy with their lives. Erik was a pediatrician at Winchester Medical Center, while Bastian was a high school history teacher. They had adopted two boys. Bobby, age 16, was adopted 4 years ago and Dickie, age 13, adopted exactly 1 year ago. Bobby had been pimped out by his stepdad, since he was 7 years old. Then, Bobby was placed in foster care after his step dad was arrested for child abuse at age 12, when Bobby found his way to Winchester Medical for help. At first anti-social, Bobby began to come out slowly to his new parents, especially Erik. Bobby is openly gay. Dickie too has been afraid of other people after his mom abandoned him on a road at age 6, then he was shuffled from home to home in the system for the next 6 years, suffering from all sorts of neglect. Dickie has a love of history and enjoys the stories Bastian tells him.

 

Playbill: Characters of Act I:

 

Erik: Pediatrician at Winchester Medical Center

Bastian: High School History Teacher

Bobby: Adopted son of Erik and Bastian, close to Erik, Nate is his boyfriend

Dickie: Adopted son of Erik and Bastian, close to Bastian, has a mutual crush on Missy

Nate: Bobby’s boyfriend, Biological son of Wendell

Wendell: US Magistrate Judge of Fredrick’s County, father of Nate, semi-closeted gay man, antagonistic towards Deborah over a recent court order to allow cameras to her school due to fear of shootings, practical minded

Deborah: Vice Principal of a local high school, Missy’s mother, Travis’ wife, Supportive of Bastian and Erik, Antagonistic towards Wendell over the recent court order he issued to place cameras in the school, idealistic minded

Travis: Orthodontist at Winchester Medial Center, Husband of Deborah, Father of Missy, Supportive of Bastian and Erik, usually neutral and level headed.

Missy: Biological Daughter of Deborah and Travis, strong willed and certain, she has a mutual crush on Dickie

 

The Family Initiative:

Reverend Guerre- Representative of Southern Baptists

Pastor Connors- Representative of Presbyterian

Elder Morton- Representative of Church of Latter Day Saints

Bishop Gastrogne – Representative of Catholic Church

Dr. Lucas – Leader of Family Initiative, however, he is not what he may seem

 

Act 1 Scene 1

 

Setting: Living Room

Single Family Colonial styled home

Winchester, Virginia

October 10th 2012

4:00PM

 

Scenery: Landscape paintings of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley hang on wall lopsided. The entire floor is covered with a carpet of beige coloring. A large rectangular table with white coasters and empty wine classes scattered around the table. Chairs are displaced, though not overturned, around the room. A cabinet is visible with disorganized trophies and open drawers. On floor adjacent from the cabinet, paper and boxes are dispersed with care as they are stacked in equal piles.

 

(Enter Erik, searching frantically, though methodically)

 

Erik: Where’s my carton of Camels? ---

Damn it Bastian probably hid it from me

I mean come on, how many doctors don’t smoke?

At least, I’m not a hypocrite, who goes around telling kids to lose the habit

Yeah, it’s bad for you; don’t even need to see the folks with oxygen machines to tell you that

And hell, I think my lungs are going to be ripe enough to be used as coal in a few years

Yet, I need my smokes to get my nerves loosen for the big event

Dickie’s 1 year anniversary party should start soon and things got to be special

Both our boys have had a hard life; abuse, neglect, and abandonment

Celebrating the day we all became a family, just seems right, when you think of that

I don’t want to fuck up

 

(Enter Bastian and Bobby with dishes and tray of hors d’oeuvres, Bobby stands to the side cleaning up the room that has been ransacked by Erik)

 

Bastian (making eye contact with Erik): Hey babe, looking for something?

 

Erik (frowning): Yeah, a lawyer to sue you for cruel and unusual punishment.

 

Bastian (Returning a coy smirk): Hey, what did I do?

After Bobby’s party, you were the one, who said and I quote

“Gotta quit this crap, before Dickie’s party”

I just made sure you followed on that statement.

You know how you are.

 

Erik (with a look of realization and self-loathing): Yeah, darn it!

But you didn’t have to get rid of all the packs.

Give me at least one pack, so I don’t go nuts.

All I need is just a few puffs.

 

Bastian (shaking his head in disagreement): No way!

I’m gonna be your self-control, today.

If you want to do something to get your mind off

Set up the table and make a playlist with the iPod in the dock.

I’ve got to get my famous sausage “cigar” rolls in the oven.

 

Erik: Why did I have to end up with Mr. Anti-Tobacco?

I should’ve found myself a nice southern boy

Not a stocky Pennsylvanian dork.

At least, they don’t hold any kind of intolerance to smokers.

 

Bastian: Well, you could always head over to West Virginia.

Your cousin Billy in the hill country would probably oblige.

He ain’t got any teeth and probably never heard of deodorant.

I hope you like squealing like a piggy.

 

Erik (perturbed with memories of the movie): You got me, Bastard

Stop with the Deliverance references.

You know that movie scares the bejezz out of me.

 

Bastian (chuckles): Well, serves you right.

You ain’t getting rid of me for any damn redneck.

 

Erik (softly embraces his lover): Babe, you’re worth more than all the hillbillies in the world.

I love you, because you’re my best friend.

Who always covers for me, no matter how stupid I get.

Sure you can be an ass, but you do it for my good.

I hope you don’t think I hate you or anything.

Man, I love you.

 

Bastian (tighten the grip): I love you too, man.

 

Erik (after a soft kiss): Now can I get a pack of smokes, Bastard?

 

Bastian (breaking the embrace and laughing mildly): The name’s Bastian

And you’re going cold turkey today

(Looking over at Bobby, who has been busy tidying up the room)

Bobby, Holler if your Pa becomes too much for you to handle.

 

(Bastian with a wide grin exits the room)

 

Erik (screaming): Damn you Bastard!

I’ll give my right nut for a smoke.

 

Bobby (smirking): Pa, if you really want I got some Marlboro’s in my pocket.

 

Erik (looking over towards his devilish son): Bobby, I would rather be smoking dirt than a Marlboro.

Those things taste like crap.

I thought I taught you better than to be a Marlboro man.

 

Bobby: Yeah, but Pop’s been clamping down in the house.

He found my stash of Camel Frosts and said if you were quitting I should start.

Nate got me this pack of Marlboro smooth yesterday.

He said it’s not bad and taste sorta like camel.

 

Erik: Dammit, Nate is a bad influence on you.

I’m glad he’s in your life bud

But you got to convert him over

And not the other way around

 

Bobby: Well, I turned him gay

So I guess, he could turn me onto Marlboros.

 

Erik (with a serious look in his face): Did he tell you that or do you think that bud?

 

Bobby (knowing he was about to get into a “dad moment”): Crap, pa, don’t think badly of Nate

It’s what I think, Nate’s been completely supportive.

Hell, I think he’s the most open guy I know other than you and Pops.

Nate always says that he sorta liked me

But didn’t know what it was until later stuff.

 

Erik: Well, what do you think?

 

Bobby (nervously fidgeting): I don’t know.

It’s like I didn’t really do anything.

We were just best buds and stuff

But I also did a lot of stuff with him.

I mean I sorta wanted to be boyfriends with him

I…um….

 

Erik: So you guys did do it the other night?

(Bobby jumped with a twitch)

Hey, don’t worry.

I know how it feels and what the world around us thinks about it.

It really never changes, whether it is 20 years ago or today.

Bastian and I have both asked that same question.

I don’t think there’s any real good answer to it.

If you think you did turn him gay

Then you will feel guilt, whenever you’re with him.

If you think he was gay to start with

Then it makes you wonder if he’ll find another guy.

Or maybe it’s neither.

Point is that the question is there

Because you got doubts and fears

The reason behind the question is what needs to be answered

You like him and are worried about things between you.

Talk to him and check with how he feels

 

Bobby (calming down a bit): Did you learn that stuff in medical school?

 

Erik (returning to his jocular nature): Hell no!

I learned how to party and take ten straight shots of Bourbon

We all go through these stages in our life

Come on bud, let’s stop the “leave it to beaver” stuff and get all the setting ready

 

Bobby: Deal, but I need to step out for a smoke first

 

Erik: I’ll join you

 

Bobby: Thought you said you’d rather smoke dirt than a Marlboro

 

Erik: Well, I ain’t going to a pride parade for them

But I’ll try it out with you.

 

(Erik and Bobby exits)

 

Act 1 Scene 2

 

Background: The Family Initiative is a powerful national organization composed of several major churches, Christian organizations, and several billion dollars in funds. Led by the charismatic Dr. Lucas, the organization champions traditional Christian values and opposes any form of homosexual right or allowances. This meeting is taking place to discuss the strategy of implementing a new campaign in the State of Virginia, which has recently opened the door their organization’s influence to end adoption by homosexuals. Attending this meeting were: Reverend Guerre, representative of the Southern Baptist, Pastor Connors, representative of the Presbyterian, Bishop Gastrogne, representative of the Catholic Church, and Elder Morton, representative of the Church of Latter Day Saints. Dr. Lucas is seemingly a serene leader among the diverse groups, but he holds a sinister intent that no one knows.

 

Offices of the Family Initiative

Conference Room P:24601

Richmond, Virginia

July 10th 2012

11:25AM

 

Scenery: The backdrop is a sterile white. There are five metal chairs around a rectangular table. The floor is black like ash. The heat begins to turn up around the theatre, progressing as the scene commences.

 

(Enter Reverend Guerre, Pastor Connors, Bishop Gastrogne, Elder Morton, and Dr. Lucas. They seat themselves at a rectangular table with Dr. Lucas at the front seat.)

 

Dr. Lucas: Is everyone here?

 

Reverend Guerre: Well, the ones, who count are ready to take on the fight for the Lord.

We’ve waited for this opportunity for decades.

Now we stand united in common purpose and desires.

We will perform great deeds that will sound throughout Heaven.

Glory to our Savior and to Dr. Lucas, who has brought us together!

 

Pastor Connors: I second Reverend Guerre and his spirit, but how shall we proceed?

The undertaking before us is not a simple matter of faith.

We must contend with opposition, not only from the sodomites.

But from their allies less than 100 miles away

If we are to seize the day, we must deal with them as well.

 

Elder Morton: They are nuisances and nothing more.

Give them enough pressure

Or offer them enough rewards

They will not be a problem.

 

Dr. Lucas: How do you think we can do that?

 

Elder Morton: We must either find or create an opening within their ranks.

I suggest that we keep a close eye on the counties closest to the beltway

And towards our outlining border

Little things happen all the time that escape notice.

A dyke might get into a bar fight, injuring someone

A fag might look at or say something to another man

Hell, a kid might say that their faggot teacher is screwing him.

These small slights are usually overlooked by authorities

Due to lack of evidence or lack of issue

Yet, we can take a harder stance on it for the purposes of our campaign.

What more, if we are lucky to find something damning, we can take it one step further.

It doesn’t matter if the perceived slights are large or small, Fact or fiction.

When we have the idea in the minds and souls of the voters

We will not need to worry about any other concern

Men are sheep, it is up to us to shepherd them to the path of God.

 

Bishop Gastrogne: Elder Morton, what you describe is monstrous

God asked all of us to follow a calling towards righteous deeds.

We are not here to create lies and deceptions

While taking great exception to these people for their sinful nature

Shall we take unto ourselves additional sins and evils?

To accomplish our ends

Then if such evil deeds were ever discovered

Our accomplishments will all be for naught

As foes and allies alike will consume us in a wave of justified anger

 

Reverend Guerre: Gastrogne, the lord ask many sacrifices from us.

We stand at the edge of an abyss

If we should falter with half measures today

Then we condemn our children and others who follow after us.

To continue this fight for another decade

If we should let conscience hold us back

Though we may be able to claim honor and honesty

We nevertheless will lose.

If we should fight well and win

We must follow through with full measures and actions.

As Timothy 4:7 made it apparent

“I have fought the good fight, finished the course, and kept the faith”

We can fight with these measures and still retain our faith.

Sometimes to do God’s work, you must not look upon deeds for virtue

You need to remember why we fight and why we keep faith

 

Bishop Gastrogne: I know what Timothy holds Reverend

Even if your version is a deviation of the Lord’s true words

Yet, how can I or those under my command say they have followed their faith?

When we are spreading falsehoods, instead of fighting the good fight through honest intent

My Church has already faced scandal and misery within the last decade.

If they should see another string of such issues

I cannot imagine the consequences to the Church or the souls of its followers.

 

Pastor Connors: I have to agree with Bishop Gastrogne

If we take to the path that Elder Morton has laid out

It could lead us all to ruin

If we are ever discovered in such things

While our ultimate aim is victory

Surely, there must be some other way.

 

Dr. Lucas: Gentlemen!

I can see Elder Morton’s words have incited rancor in Bishop Gastrogne thoughts

I can see those thoughts turn to fear and doubt in Pastor Connors

Yet, all we require is your support, not your complete participation

Nothing more needs to be done on your parts until the deed is found

Then, all we require is just a few needful things

A few words to your followers and leaders to bring up such issues

A few choice people to carry the messages that this group sends out

A few brave souls to fight in the good cause, which you also have agreed to

I am not saying all our methods will be kind or honorable

Yet, if we are to end this once and for all

We cannot escape the mischief of man

Ever since man has tasted the fruit of good and evil

We have erred in fear of what is right and wrong without thinking of others

Pride in our personal pursuits of good deeds over evil has kept us back

In one action, we shall accomplish a deed for the greater good, beyond the sin of Pride

God shall forgive us for the deeds that we are prepared to do

 

Bishop Gastrogne (staring around the table): I will accede to your request for support Dr. Lucas

May the Lord forgive us!

 

Pastor Connors (still nervous, but nodding): I also agree, but I want to be kept in the details

May God offer us protection and grace!

 

Reverend Guerre: I stand with you Dr. Lucas and I fear not for what shall come

May the Lord offer us triumph!

 

Elder Morton: I too stand united

May God bless our undertakings!

 

Dr. Lucas: Amen!

Let us now join in this covenant!

 

(Exit Reverend Guerre, Pastor Connors, Bishop Gastrogne, and Elder Morton)

 

(A red light begins to shine at Dr. Lucas, whose expression have changed from serene to malevolent. A black flame pierces the floor of the stage.)

 

Dr. Lucas (Revealing his nature): Did you see all that from your seat in heaven?

You heard them commit to foul deeds in your name

You feel your followers commiserate for prejudice in your protection

You smell the foul stench of hypocrisy that is done with your blessings

How laughable and foolish they all are.

You, who could destroy them with a mere thought

Don’t you see it now, Father

They don’t deserve your time

They don’t deserve your patience

They don’t deserve your love

I have walked this world in many forms

Spreading hate and prejudice in your name.

They have all accepted it without hesitation

Can you now say you were wrong?

You were wrong for giving them reign over this world

You were wrong for banishing me for wanting to see them removed

I can sense the old Spirit of hope on Earth right now

Trying to offer them potential solutions

Trying to reach a compromise between your aspirations and their desires

Yet, the time for compromise is over

Mankind has gone too far to seek peace

I will not force them to create hell on earth

They will do it themselves through your words and their belief in actions through you

You, who hold absolute certainty in judgment of good and evil

Look now at the selfishness and cruelty of good

When the first blood is drawn

I shall offer it to you as my gift for the thousand years of exile

 

(Exit Dr. Lucas, with fiery intensity through the black flame as smoke fills the stage)

 

Act 1 Scene 3

 

Setting: Reading room

Single Family Colonial styled home

Winchester, Virginia

October 10th 2012

7:00PM

 

Scenery: Two large book cases are aligned, one against another. They don’t possess any books, or periodicals, instead they are adorned with pictures of the family and trinkets of the couple from trips that they have taken. The floor is plain oak wood with small green carpet in the area surround a computer desk. The desk is on one side of the stage with an active laptop and a faux leather reclining seat.

 

(Enter Dickie, who promptly sits in front of the computer typing a blog entry for the day)

 

Dickie (murmurs in as he types): God, I wonder if I am dreaming right now

I can’t imagine why life is so good for me.

I mean I’ve had it really bad for years

Bobby probably had it worst, though.

I can’t believe things have been so good

I have parents, who care about me

I have a brother, who looks out for me

I have a best friend, who loves me

Pops said that the best way to love someone isn’t to consider them girlfriends or boyfriends.

I hope none of this ever ends

Yet, with my luck, something awful is bound to happen

I am like a black cat.

If you cross my path

You are bound for bad luck.

 

(Enter Erik, Bastian, Nate, and Bobby)

 

Bastian: Hey there little guy, why you here all by your lonesome?

 

Erik: Yeah, come on outside, Missy was trying to hunt you down for a slow dance

That girl can be something

I’ll never understand how guys can stand it.

(Glancing over at Bastian seductively)

When the alternative is much more fun.

 

Dickie: Pa, I hope you guys are alright with me being…um…you know

 

Bobby: What straight?

Sure we don’t get why you like girls, bro

But it doesn’t really matter if both of you are happy

Man, it’d be weird if every kid, these guys picked up were gay

They’d have to write stories on the internet

Hell, they’re already beating the curve with us, bro

A fifty-fifty shot is pretty strange as it is

 

Nate (in total deadpan) : Do you want me to go for the surgery to make it more statistically correct?

 

Bobby (mock dramatic shock) : Oh No!

I don’t want to be with a Ken doll

 

Nate (returning with his “a matter of fact” response): Nah dude

That’s anatomically correct

Where you learned your vocabulary?

 

Bobby (changing his tone to sound more rustic): Hey, not all of us got a Judge for a dad

We ain’t fancy folks here

With big words

And small non-existent dicks

 

(Everyone began laughing with high intensity)

 

Dickie (looking over at his two dads) : So why are all of you guys in here?

Pop got rid of most of the smokes

So it can’t be to light one up

 

Erik (with a noticeable frown in the direction of Bastian) : Yeah

(Turning back to Dickie)

Once everyone else had left

Wendell and Deb began their Texas cage match

Those two have been at it for God knows how long

I’d tell them to get a room, but he’s gay and she’s married

 

Nate (in an apologetic tone): Sorry about him ruining your party

He’s such a dork

I mean like everyone keep saying how stupid the cameras look

I’ve gotten a lot of flak over this camera thing, too

Ya’ know its like guys come up to me

Saying how stupid those things look

And how they think he’s sending the tapes to the government or something

 

Bastian (with a serious look): Nate, don’t think badly of your dad

He’s doing it out of concern for you kids

I don’t agree with his ideas

But I can understand where he’s coming from

 

Nate: Well, I just hate being the reason for all this crap

Couldn’t he just be a normal ambulance chasing lawyer?

Or one of those guys who work in the big offices in Washington?

He doesn’t need to be such a tool!

How many kids are going to be bringing in a handgun to school?

How many kids are dealing drugs in the bathroom?

It’s sort of ridiculous

 

(Bobby and Dickie both nodded)

 

Bobby: Yeah Pops

I mean his dad’s not a bad guy

But why can’t he just let things be

We haven’t gone nuts at school yet

Shit, I mean like why not just let things be

 

Erik (looking over at Bastian) : Guys, let’s not start this fight

Deb and Wendell are already doing that

Everyone has their points, whether you like it or not

I know you kids probably will side with Deb and Bastian here does, too

However, let’s not bite Wendell’s head off

Nate, I’ve known your dad for years and he’s an odd duck.

But he’s got a good heart and stays true to people

Despite knowing he couldn’t love your ma as much as she loved him

He wouldn’t abandoned her like many other gay men have to their wives

It’s not because he’s afraid of people finding fault in his actions

He doesn’t give a crap about what others think

He did it, because it was right and your ma was blessed with his honesty until her death

That’s the man I know.

 

Nate (staring with blank expression at Erik) : I know he means well

I actually don’t know what to think, really

I just hate what he’s done to the school, not him personally

He still my Pa and I mean I won’t stop loving him for this stuff

But I just hate being the one everyone points to for what he does

Sometimes, I wish he could just be less like…I don’t know, him

 

(The room fell silent for what seems like ages with the long pause)

 

Dickie (hoping to lighten the mood): Well, I don’t have to worry about this stuff until next year,

When I go to High School

 

Bobby: Yeah, but your hormones have already started kicking in

Did I see you kiss Missy, when you two snuck out to the back earlier today?

 

Dickie (mocking his brother): Did I hear you and Nate doing stuff in your bedroom last night?

You know

(Dickie made noises of moans)

 

Bobby (blushed): Dammit!

 

Nate (making a mock tone of his father): Hey, I plead the fifth

 

(Laughter erupted from all in the room)

 

Bobby: Well, Nate, you want to go up to my room

 

Erik (mocking his son): Isn’t it a little too early for that?

 

Bobby (sarcastically responding): Hey, get you minds out of the gutter

Y’all think we’re porn stars or something

We usually just play X-Box

Besides, we do like to talk, too

(Looking at Nate)

Let’s go Nate, before my Pa gets a chance to make a come back

 

Bastian: Nope, just horny teenage boys

 

Bobby: Nate let’s get outta here

They’re starting to double team

 

(Exit Bobby and Nate with smirk up a staircase)

 

Bastian: Well that’s one way to declare your intentions

 

Dickie: Will I be like that Pops?

 

Erik (preparing another round of humor): If you’re like your Pops, probably not

 

Bastian (knowing Erik was setting him up): Hey I’m very amenable

I’m not that particular about guys

Except for you

Cause…..

 

(Enter Missy interrupting Bastian’s train of thought)

 

Missy: There you are Dickie

Where the hell did you run off to?

 

Dickie: Hey Missy, I just came here to get my thoughts down in my blog

You know reflecting on stuff.

Like I always do

 

Missy (coming over to Dickie): Hope you’re not being overwhelmed and stuff, Dickie

(She places a hand on his shoulder)

Well, we better head up stairs to your room quick

‘cause my parents and Nate’s dad are coming this way.

They’re getting so intense over this stupid camera issue

My mom is being a pain about this stuff.

 

Dickie: Huh, but….

 

Missy (picking Dickie up forcefully): Sorry Dickie, but they’re out for blood

I’ve just got out of the middle of their last big fight.

My Pa is trying to find a way out of it, too

I think she’s just way too strong for him

I think it’s probably safer for us to just get outta here before the fireworks arrive

 

(Exit Missy and Dickie, who is dragged off with one arm)

 

Erik: Dammit

We should have gone up stairs with the kids

You know how those two get, when they argue

It’s been like this for years

Why can’t they ever get along?

 

(Sounds start seeping through the walls)

 

Bastian: Yeah, I can hear the shouting already seeping through the walls

They’re probably getting closer

 

Erik: You think we can try to make a run for it

 

(Noises can be heard of argument, which grows louder and louder)

 

Bastian: Fat chance, we’re the hosts remember

It’s our jobs to keep them settled

We got to play the part of Sherriff and Deputy

 

Erik: Well, I think we’re playing the part of Hostages right now

 

(Enter Deborah, Travis, and Wendell)

 

Erik (staring at Bastian and whispering softly): Well, we’re in for it now

 

Deborah (In an infuriated tone): How can you justify such a thing Wendell?

Placing cameras inside a public school is a violation of privacy

You are basically infringing on the constitutional right of countless students

 

Wendell (In an emotionless “matter of fact” response): Deb, there is no constitutional issue here

The US Justice Department has made it abundantly clear

In areas such as Hallways, open offices for student and teachers, and classrooms

Cameras can be placed for the safety and protection of the teachers and students

There is no “reasonable expectation of privacy” in public areas

 

Deborah: That’s a cop-out and you know it!

Should students who do inappropriate things on camera in class be disciplined?

Should teachers who are late due to personal issues in class be docked in their pay?

Where is the line in the sand?

The only reason this is even allowed at my school was the Principal’s quest for higher office

I know he wanted to score brownie points to get the superintendent position

This entire thing is crap

 

Wendell: Be that as it may, Deb

First, students are not supposed to be acting inappropriately on school grounds

We all fool around as kids and any school administrator understands the difference

Now if certain administrators wish to prosecute these misdemeanors harsher

It is not for me to decide how they run their operations, nor your own

Second, teachers must be held accountable to their students and vice versa

The relationship is a bond between mentor and pupil

We are all human and we err or we have mental lapses

These cameras do not enforce the relationship

They’re meant to give everyone an equal opportunity to keep things civil

Finally, my legal point holds to the fact that these cameras are meant for security purposes

Not for meddling in privacy or in affairs outside the school administrators power

The law remains as it is and I am merely an interpreter and executioner of these laws

I don’t make policy

Nor am I doing this for higher office

 

Deborah: Then you are held accountable by people like me for such actions

You point to grand ideas of common sense and rationality

What if the rational outcomes do not occur?

What if people get falsely indicted with trumped up charges?

 

Wendell: That should never happen with evidence from cameras

When the video evidence goes missing

And witnesses of contradictory fact appear

Then, you get a problem

But people will usually follow reason and common sense before any other issue

We are not animals based off the passion of the moment

We can think and decipher justice and injustice through deeds and history

 

Travis: Deborah, Wendell

You both need to cool down

I am not sure if anyone can ever win such an argument

Nor do I desire to find out from my wife or my friend

Please, can we drop this now.

 

Deborah (angrily staring at her husband): Travis, how can you stand there and watch as privacy dies?

How can you say that what he is ushering in is not wrong?

 

Travis: Deb, I love you and agree with you

However, we’re arguing about theory and potential

I’m no lawyer

Nor am I going to pretend to be one

No one can tell you absolutely if these actions will kill privacy

 

Deborah: THEY WILL KILL PRIVACY!

Teachers and student will be the ones suffering the blow from this

These cameras might reduce school based crime and increase security for some

However as Benjamin Franklin said

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,

Deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

You cannot sacrifice privacy for security

 

Wendell: Then what do you advise Deb?

 

Deborah: We should be focusing our energies on the kids

We should be asking parents to talk to them

There is an entire body of literature about school shooters.

Most of them had warning signs that parents and teachers ignored.

There are also studies on the influence of adult attention to counter drug trafficking.

If you want to solve the problem go to the root

Don’t corral these kids with rules and cameras.

 

Wendell: I see, Deb, but how will all this good talking with kids come about?

You’re not addressing what is in front of you today, or what you have to work with

Not all parents are like you and me

They don’t have time to talk to the kids.

As for teachers, you already know the answer is no

You don’t have enough manpower, resources, nor funding to establish those kinds of things.

Deb, you got to live with what is in front of you.

 

(Deborah prepares for another counter, but is cut off by Bastian)

 

Bastian (Bastian speaks with a stern voice): Guys!

We need to stop this now

You have both been at this for days.

It’s not the first time that you have faced off

But this is our house and it’s just plain stupid that you brought this here

Travis is right

No one can win this as you two keep droning on and on

Why don’t you guys stop?

Neither of you are going to change each other’s minds

We each have our own opinion and no one is asking for you two to run for office on this issue

Let it rest

 

(Silence as both Wendell and Deborah realizes their inflexibility and how rude they were to their hosts for keeping up this banter)

 

Deborah: Sorry for starting this up at the party

I hope Dickie wasn’t in earshot

 

Bastian: Dickie is fine

He left before the big fireworks began

Just remember the people around you Deb for next time

You’ve been teaching for decades

And you’ve been a Vice Principal for 3 years

Why can you be so diplomatic with parents and not with Wendell?

 

(Deborah frowns and stares at Wendell, who gets stung with guilt as his own son had left due to the recent spat with Deborah)

 

Wendell: Sorry for keeping this argument up all night

God, Nate probably thinks I’ve lost my mind

 

Erik: Nate’s a good boy

He doesn’t hold any grudges towards you

Just remember that not every argument is a case

Wendell, you’re a good judge of character and try to be fair

Why can’t you see that these arguments create more problems than their worth?

 

(Silence as both Wendell and Deborah are distraught with their own behavior. They both begin to leave the room)

 

Travis (looking at his hosts): Thanks guys

I think deep down inside they’re too stubborn and prideful

They need a slap of reality and humility

They both mean well

They both want to do the right things

If given the chance, they’ll both do whatever it takes to make things right

But they’re so caught up with their own arguments

Sometimes they forget that in reality

Things are not as perfect as it is in theory

Everyone loses when that happens.

 

(Exit Erik, Bastian, Deborah, Wendell, and Travis)

Copyright © 2012 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Spring - It Wasn't Me Entry

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting. You structure the play well. You have a good range of characters and a really intriguing central idea - the devil in disguise. The whole thing hangs together very well and leads towards the following acts, which I hope you'll post soon. Nice to see a different type of text - first play I've read on GA. Thanks for the interesting read. :)

Link to comment

Definitely a good Act 1. The characters and all layers of the play are well introduced. I especially like Dr. Lucas and his role in the play. I like that kind of stuff. Personally, I would reveal his true nature later in the play in order to keep suspense and have reader's wondering. A scene close to the climax would be perfect, I think. Anyway, Act 1 grabbed my interest and I would like to read on.

Link to comment
On 03/17/2012 10:38 PM, carringtonrj said:
Interesting. You structure the play well. You have a good range of characters and a really intriguing central idea - the devil in disguise. The whole thing hangs together very well and leads towards the following acts, which I hope you'll post soon. Nice to see a different type of text - first play I've read on GA. Thanks for the interesting read. :)
Thanks, I've been hoping to write something that could be original and fun. It seems plays have not been played well in Anthology series much.
Link to comment
On 03/17/2012 11:01 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
Definitely a good Act 1. The characters and all layers of the play are well introduced. I especially like Dr. Lucas and his role in the play. I like that kind of stuff. Personally, I would reveal his true nature later in the play in order to keep suspense and have reader's wondering. A scene close to the climax would be perfect, I think. Anyway, Act 1 grabbed my interest and I would like to read on.
True, I was debating whether scene 2 should be scene 3, but then I had felt like it would sound too much like leave it to beaver type story if I had done that. By introducing Dr. Lucas and his four "religious figures" sans horse (read into their names Conquest, that's the original name, not pestilence, read it up the old book :P, famine, war, and death. I've been planning this play from the ground up.)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..