Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fragmented Shorts - 1. The Departure of Magic

To call it a crack, or a boom, or an explosion, sullied the power of it. The sound was indescribable, carrying with it the power of ancient magic and the fear of knowing what was coming. They had warned of it for weeks, the greatest magicians and the most ancient beings scrambling to slow it or escape it.

It was the end of the world.

I looked out over the ancient grey bridge to the College of Mages, watching as their sentinel spirits scurried inside the titanic doors. The doors began to swing shut, and a magic shield rose from the ground, glittering like the scales of a poisonous snake.

Another sound, one that was truly a crack, echoed out over the ravine. The bridge shattered crossways, rocks the size of cottages splitting into pieces. The College, trapped in its glass pyramid, began to pull away from the earth as the bridge disintegrated, debris falling through air to thud into the ground far below.

Other people watched now. Figures had appeared out of shops and leaned out of windows. Wizards sputtered into existence on the streets of the village, turning to watch with wide, desperate eyes as their only hope tore away from the ground.

Clouds of dust and dirt cascaded down onto the town, filling the air with hacking and coughing. I stumbled and grabbed onto the door of the blacksmiths. Above me the sign of an anvil swung wildly. Through the dust, a purple glow lit up the sky, and with a sound reminiscent of a slurp, the College’s looming shadow vanished.

When the dust cleared the sky was cracking.

As the world began to disintegrate, the Council of Mages foresaw what was approaching and cast a spell to tear themselves from reality and depart the disaster that rose to engulf the world. This is a short look at the moment it happened.
Copyright © 2017 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

Sounds promising...  Hope it comes together! :wizard:

 

Thank you :) I have a truck load of world building done. Writing the actual prose is harder. The only thing complete is the 10k~ story "An Unseelie's Love" which is also posted on here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..