Jump to content
    Wicked Witch
  • Author
  • 2,814 Words
  • 701 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fragmented Shorts - 2. The Gods

A short guide to the deities of the world of Fragmented.

Dizord : God of Chaos and Disorder. The god of entropy, Dizord is an eccentric deity. Spasmodic in his interactions with the physical world, he created and lives in the ever changing realm of Nizatta. Dizord’s morality rarely overlaps with mortal concepts of good and evil; he creates chaos, for it is essential to the balance of existence, and favours neither order or chaos on their own, working to assure that both continue to exist. In this way, he acts a counterbalance to the other gods, who create order through fostering of civilisation and an orderly world. He dwells in Nizatta. Married to Shanfja. His symbol is a broken pot. Portrayed as a manic man, with one blue eye and one green eye.

 

Eggid : Goddess of Spring. An energetic, spry and enthusiastic goddess, Eggid is patron of fertility, blesser of crops, and herald of the new year. More sympathetic to humans than her husband Krujant, but not at all times appreciative of them interfering in her beloved natural world. That has never made her opposed to taking them as lovers however. She is however not always the wisest deity, absent minded, and easily distracted by pretty things. She dwells in Krujantqoffa. Married to Krujant. Her symbol is a flower bud. Portrayed as a pregnant maiden wearing a flower crown.

 

Estakom : Goddess of Feasts, Celebrations, Weddings, Competition and Festivals. Judge of contests, organiser of celebrations and blesser of weddings, Estakom is a joyful and fair goddess, who has a keen interest in joy and athleticism. She can be excessive in her jubilation however, and at times is declared the Goddess of Madness. This is perhaps reinforced by the fact she is married to Nieoni, who has been insane for many millennia; Estakom cares for her, truly in love with Nieoni, who struggles to maintain her sanity for her lover. She dwells in the Sanctuary of Nieoni. Married to Nieoni. Her symbol is a goblet of wine. Portrayed as a beautiful, athletic woman in a provocative dress.

 

Ghanoxxen : God of Knowledge, Wisdom, Curiosity and Intrigue. Ghanoxxen has a dual nature, as a wise old man, or a curious young one. He loves and values wisdom in all forms, and tries to spread it to all. He despises the destruction or loss of knowledge, and is patron of scholars and inventors. A great friend of Terulel at times, he is however less concerned with the importance of the knowledge, treasuring the smallest memory and curiosity for its own sake. He dwells in the Arkan College. His symbol is a book or scroll. Portrayed in a duality as an old man in the robes of a monk, or a young man with a curious look.

 

Hajitu : Goddess of Walls, Doors, the Threshold and Protection. Granter of protection, and patron of humanity after Nieoni’s fate, Hajitu is a protective, smothering even, goddess. She is fierce and stubborn, but not always the wisest, instead opting for outrage at anything that might endanger her chosen people. To them she is a fierce mothering figure, but to the other species, seen as unfairly interfering. She dwells in the Sanctuary of Hajitu. Her symbol is a door. Portrayed dually as a motherly woman, and a wild female warrior.

 

Hallef : God of Justice, Judgement and Vengeance. Judge of dead souls, binder of oaths, granter of vengeance. Hallef is a logical, but incredibly just god, who places enormous weight upon divine laws as the fount of civilisation and good behaviour. He is rarely understanding of those who seek change for changes sake, or illogical action; though the first to admit if something is unjust and broken. His wife Ingenna and her brother often puzzle him with their impulsiveness. He dwells in Heimsgenna. He is married to Ingenna. His symbol is a scale. Portrayed as a devilishly handsome scholar.

 

Hinebda : God of Time, Inevitability and Endings and Beginnings. Hinebda is one of the two deities of of destiny, responsible for endings and beginnings, while his wife Tinati is ruler of the time between. He is herald of heroes, and decider of the lifespans of mortals. A serious and stoic deity, Hinebda is rarely humoured, but he is kind enough to those who earn his respect. He dwells in non-corporeality. Married to Tinati. His symbol is a piece of rope. Portrayed as an old man in crimson.

 

Hmmwe : God of Death and Nightmares. Hmmwe brings death at the allotted time. He is a serious and lifeless man, but not evil; he brings mercy to the already dying and helps the tortured understand their woes in nightmares. He seems himself as a helper, but he is tortured by his at times duty. He dwells in Heimsgenna. He is married to Wida. His symbol is a skull. Portrayed as a skeletal old man in a dark cloak.

 

Hrifa : Goddess of Autumn. A depressing, melancholic deity, she is showy and melodramatic, revelling in the ‘beauty’ of passing and death. Considered perhaps insane. Patron of mourners. She dwells in Krujantqoffa. Her symbol is an autumn leaf. Portrayed as an older maiden, on the verge of old age, with flaming red hair.

 

Ingenna : Goddess of the Underworld and Afterlife. Ruler of the land of the dead and Queen of the gods of the Underworld. Once a mortal like Urali; she cares deeply for her little brother, and sympathises with the mortals that she protects in death. She is the creator of daemons and previously ruler of the realm of Dlam; now she rules only the hell city of Heimsgenna. Contrary to most belief, she is far from cruel or terrifying, and she is a wise but absent minded goddess, who greatly appreciates history and the lessons it can teach. She is a collector of trinkets from mortal history, seeing them as a window into a life as a mortal now lost to her. She dwells in Heimsgenna. She is married to Hallef. Her symbol is an ivory scythe. Portrayed as a beautiful pale woman in a black dress.

 

Kiebid : Goddess of Ice, Cold, and Preservation. A quiet, unchanging goddess, Kiebid is exceptionally peaceful and extremely hard to anger. A fierce protector of history and the past. She hoards knowledge, and is patron goddess of the Wyrm in this role, they being the only creatures as unchanging as her. She dwells in the Great Library of Welf. Married to Terulel. Her symbol is an icicle. Portrayed as a veiled woman in white robes made of snow.

 

Krujant : God of Nature, Earth, Beasts and Plants. A usually mild god, fond of plants and protective of nature. But Krujant is wrathful if provoked or nature is disrespected. He protects wild animals from destruction at the hands of mortals, but is at times petty, abandoning the Changelings and Werewolves for being inferior to his later creations. In this way his personality perhaps reflects nature. He has been greatly diminished by the destruction of much of the wild places of the world in the Collapse. He dwells in the Krujantqoffa. Married to Eggid. His symbol is a sheath of grain or an egg. Portrayed as a slight, pixie winged man.

 

Mergid : God of Success, Wealth, Prosperity and Trade, and Guardian of Merchants. A selfish, vain and tricky god, Mergid will only assist if it will profit him, and enjoys indulging in the finest things in life. He however is guardian of a fair trade, becoming enraged by theft and lies and will punish those that break deals. Yet he sees nothing wrong with forgetting to mention the fine print or use of double meaning, loopholes or riddles; believing that cunning is a fair tool in trades. He is patron God of Dwarves. He dwells in the Temple of Mergid in Jhavereta. Was married to Xorqer. His symbol is a gold bar, or a diamond. Portrayed as portly, middle aged dwarf, dressed wealthily.

 

Nieoni : Goddess of Humans and Source of Emotion. Creator of Humanoids, Nieoni is an absent minded goddess, her mood often changing and her thoughts disjointed. She has long since forgotten about mortals, declared mad by most of the Gods. Once a wise and insightful goddess, she created the first humanoids out of clay to contain her overflowing emotions, but it is said she poured too much into them and broke her own mind. Her wife Estakom is the only one she remains sane for, taxing herself even to do that much. She dwells in the Sanctuary of Nieoni. She is married to Estakom. Her symbol is a ball of clay. Portrayed as a wild haired teenage girl.

 

Nita [deceased] : Goddess of Fertility, Home, Children and Marriage. Queen of the gods. A quiet, smiling woman, who could be transformed into a protective warrior by threats to her family. Nita was modest, protective of the tenants of family, and a believer in family as the root of all success. Nita was often bereaved by her husband and his escapades, but their love was said to be the first and the truest love ever to exist. She is deceased. Was married to Segenna. Her symbol was a gentle flame. Portrayed as a middle aged housewife.

 

Segenna [deceased] : God of the Sky, Weather and Heavens. The King of the gods. Arrogant; wrathful and easily offended, Segenna was fond of his ego, but exceptionally loyal to his wife, even if he often caused her grief through his many schemes that she patiently cleaned up after. But he was a god easily roused into jealousy; petty and spiteful and not fond of mortals, leading to many disputes with Hajitu. He is deceased. Was married to Nita. His symbol was a cloud. Portrayed as a white bearded old man.

 

Shanfja : Goddess of Fire, Heat, Destruction and War. An easily angered, rash and violent goddess, Shanfja is the personification of the destruction of war. She holds grudges and is renowned for her long memory. She dabbles in causing mortal wars, and often favours heroes in conflicts. Yet she is also the goddess who provides life giving warmth and the destruction that leads to new life and renewal. She sees wars as a part of life, much to the disgust of some of the other gods, and proclaims them a way to renew the mortal world, to keep it from growing stale. She dwells in the Sanctuary of Shanfja. Married to Dizord. Her symbol is a flame. Portrayed as a woman in black armour with flaming hair.

 

Taldur : God of Peace, Hope, Modesty, Medicine and Prayer. A many natured God, Taldur is a kind hearted, helpful being; he is wise, staunchly non-violent, and hospitable to all. He offers advice and hope to those who seek him out, but due to his many and yet humble realms of power he is often forgotten about by mortals, though Taldur is patron of diplomats and healers. He dwells in the Sanctuary of Taldur. His symbol is a pottery pitcher. Portrayed as an old hermit.

 

Terulel : God of Darkness, the Night, Giver of Prophecy and Protector of Mystery. Terulel is a mysterious God, wise of the future, but rarely seen or heard; he prefers solitude and enjoys the peace of night, much like his wife. He has little time for mortals as a result, seeing them as infinitesimal and momentary, and believes the hoarding of important knowledge the only truly noble cause. He dwells in the Great Library of Welf. He is married to Kiebid. His symbol is the moon. Portrayed as a gaunt travelling bard.

 

Tinati : Goddess of Fate and Destiny. Weaver of the lives of mortals, alongside her husband Hinebda who governs their beginning and their end, Tinati is a surprisingly spontaneous deity for the ruler of fate and destiny. Her personality stems perhaps from a belief that destiny is not even hers to control, only to guide best as can be managed. She is a great fan of mortals, appreciating their flexibility and the great things they achieve with so little time, compared to the slow and ponderous pace of the immortals. She dwells in non-corporeality. Married to Hinebda. Her symbol is a maze. Portrayed as an old woman in crimson.

 

Urali : God of Magic, Supernatural and the Undead. Urali is shepherd of daemons and the undead, and patron of magic users. He and Ingenna were mortal siblings of a now extinct race, transformed into Gods after they were killed protecting the first temple to the Ginali in the most ancient of times. He is a wild and chaotic god, believing in experimentation, and learning through accidents, adventure and discovery. Extremely eccentric in personality, Urali is often carefree and indulgent, and usually dismissive of formality and tradition . He cares for mortals, and perhaps understands them best of most of the gods, but he is not always the most sensitive to their sensibilities and taboos. He dwells in Heimsgenna. His sacred symbol is a staff with a ruby. Portrayed as a young, wild eyed robed man.

 

Wida : Guardian of the Gates of the Underworld, and Guide of Souls. Wida is a kindly God, guardian of souls, and therefore fiercely defensive of those under her protection. She takes her duties intensely seriously, and offers hospitality freely, but takes betrayal personally. She trusts deeply, and has been hurt before for that reason, and her anger is legendary. She dwells in Heimsgenna. She is married to Hmmwe. Her symbol is an outreached hand. Portrayed as a kindly old woman.

 

Xewkan : Ruler of Love, Eroticism, Attraction and Desire. The non-gendered deity of love, Xewkan arranges love and sexual contact. They believe pleasure and love are the purpose of existence, and that nothing should hinder the pursuit of true happiness. Xewkan is also ruler of passion for pastimes and hobbies, sharing to a lesser degree Ghannoxen’s (wisdom’s) understanding of knowledge as something worthy of love. At times an excitable, and romantic being, Xewkan generally believes in the best in people and sees all as worthy of love, despite their flaws. Yet those who aim to interfere in others happiness gain their hatred quickly; Xewkan is often in the company of Tinati (fate), working to bring love into mortal lives. Xewkan dwells in the Temple of Xewkan in Nakissia. Their symbol is a pearl. Portrayed as a youth with ever shifting features.

 

Xiwa : Goddess of Winter. Calm and stoic, kindly, but not afraid of applying cruelty when it is necessary. She carries with her a “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” philosophy and holds great kindness in her heart for the humans of the northern city of Gite, who she sees as much like her; unafraid of a challenge and hardship in the name of furthering one's goals. Xiwa firmly believes that without the cold of winter or the hardship of bleak times, the good things in life and the warmth of summer would not be appreciated. She dwells in the Temple of Xiwa in Gite. Her symbol is a snow drake. Portrayed as a young maiden wearing a gown of snowflakes.

 

Xnixx : God of Water and the Sea. Split between the moods of calm and life bringing, and dangerous and angry, Xnixx is patron god of the Merrow. He is wise, knowledgeable of the mysteries of the sea, but ignorant of the other realms of the world. Greatly pained by the fragmentation and loss of most oceans, he has retreated from answering all but the prayers of the Merrow in modern times. He dwells in the Sanctuary of Xnixx. His symbol is a fish tail. Portrayed as a young Merrow man.

 

Xorqer [deceased] : God of Trickery, Gambling, Games and Luck. A loud and rambunctious man. A fan of betting, any form of competition, and fiercely protective of fair play. Fascinated by random chance. A fan of cunning trickery, through loopholes and misleading, but never lies. In this way he shared Mergid’s protectiveness of fairness, though equally willing to use cunning to trick the unwary. He is deceased. Was married to Mergid. His symbol was six lurem, pyramid dice. Portrayed as a jovial middle aged man.

 

Xsaf : Goddess of Summer. Patron goddess of childbirth, crafts, farming and other pursuits of summer. A soft hearted and kind goddess, Xsaf is mild and warm in personality, loving all but the most evil, and seeing good even in them. She is a romantic at heart, sharing much with Xewkan, but also understands the place of hard work and in her darkest moods is herald of hard times and droughts. She dwells in Krujantqoffa. Her symbol is a blooming flower. Portrayed as a maiden carrying a swaddled bundle.

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..