Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 1,077 Words
  • 892 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kiss of Death - 5. The Luminescent building Part 1

Leo P.O.V

Azareal's wings beat like that of a violent black crow against the prevailing currents, propelling us upwards and into the stream of white-passing over the vast country like landscape. The vapour within it's stratus is cool and wet, like the sensation of ocean spray as the cerulean waves collide with the rocky shore. At first, I'm a bit taken aback. To some degree, I still hold the mentality of a child. I was secretly hoping that it would be as fluffy and voluptuous as it looked, sort of a bed of cotton balls or sheep's wool. Alas, I seem to be sorely mistaken. It's opaque dexterity creates a peculiar optical illusion. The colours bellow melds to form an array of smudged pastel strokes. Each one varying in levels of intricacy and depth of it's autumn hue. A heatless fire burning tantrically, born of vegetative decay.

He's quieter than usual. I would have expected a sexual comment or perverted gaze. The fact that he hasn't done any of it by now makes me more uncomfortable than when he does. I can't believe I'm asking to be objectified. Clearly I must be cooked in the brains, but hey I guess that's life for you. Yet, it's almost as if the air itself longs for his strange sexual advances or humour or whatever you call it. It's eerily silent, as dead as well Azrael, I think. Does a God of Death have to be DEAD to be a GOD OF DEATH? Is Azreal dead? I wonder how it works when you ascend to a divine state. I don't think I'd get far by questioning the ontology of it. In any case, I don’t blame him for his quietude. I guess we both have a lot to think about and a lot of questions that need answering.

“We're almost there” he yells. Ahead, the coppery landscape separates to form a peninsula, along which a shore of snowy white meets a still, salty Aegean blue. The light of noon hovers curiously above, admiring it's shimmering reflection in the cool waters.

“There's nothing here!” I exclaim.

“Hold your breath,” he commands. Without warning, he plunges into the salty abyss. I try to force my eyes open. This can't be right, although we're definitely moving downwards a brightness seems to invade my already blurry vision. I don't think I can hold my breath much longer, the fire lapping at my insides is lulling me into unconsciousness. I'm starting to feel sleepy...

With an explosive force, we break surface tension, I instinctively gasp for air, sputtering as he lays me down on the granular earth.

“What was that about? You could've given me a warning.”

“I did,” he responds slyly

“Bullshit. There was barely even time to react. I'm starting to think you enjoy it.”

“ Plunging downwards, headfirst with a cutie clinging desperately onto me for their dear life? I guess you're right, that's basically my nighttime routine.”

“Oh fuck off.” I state as the water drips from my soaked clothes, staining portions of the sand in darker hues. “ I could've had a heart attack.”

“I think you meant drowned sweetheart. You're not a 50-year-old scuba diver and besides, I'm the God of Death. You can't die unless I allow it or if you continue to be as tight arsed as you are, I might 'unconsciously' alleviate you of your existence. Honestly. Why couldn't you have been a popper queen?”

“Don't you mean was the God of Death? I seem to recall that privilege was taken away.” He opens his mouth for a witty response then freezes.

“No. I didn't. How do you know that?” he asks, an intense gaze falling over me. Thinking about it, I'm not sure myself. I try to focus, putting the pieces back together. Didn't I see it/ hear it somewhere?

“Anyway...” he interludes “ We can talk about this later. We shouldn't keep your parents waiting. Shall we?” he gestures to a path that I don't remember being there. Come to mention it, albeit the similar appearance to the peninsula’s shoreline, we're not in the same place. I carefully tread behind him. The dead give-away is the sky or was the sky? In the starlit deep purple, intermingled with burnt orange, a herd of whales swim happily above, the distant calls of their whistles gently hums through the air. The water from which we emerged remains silent, unmoving, stagnant. Not a ripple disturbed it's pristine skin. A waft of sweet-smelling air fills my nostrils. It's fragrance is gentle but prudent, definitely floral in nature. As the unseen light dwindles and the sky becomes an opaque black, the leaves on the trees become incandescent, emitting a faint whitish-purple, illumining the area in it's gentle hue. The wooded area becomes more lively, a few creatures teeter about, catching bugs or gathering fruits. I've never seen such oddities before.Somehow, all this feels nostalgic to me. This place just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

“Azrael. Where are we?” I ask following him through the twisting route.”

“What a stupid question. I didn't think you possessed the mental state of a goldfish. I thought it was pretty obvious by now.”

“How retarded do you think I am?”

“Yes.” he snickers. I mentally roll my eyes. I guess he hasn't lost his charms.

"That wasn't even a yes or no... you know what forget it. I mean. What is this place?”

“Oh this? That's easy. Think of it like a safe haven of sorts. A pocket dimension, an alternate universe existing outside and inside of our own.”

“I thought it was just a concept, let alone not possible to access one.”

“Almost impossible. It takes science and a sprinkling of pixie dust.”

“Why am I not surprised. After coming face to face with those gross leathery creatures, I'm sure I can't be phased any more.”

“Maybe 'pixie dust' was the wrong choice of words.”

“How so?”

“It's not really pixie dust. It's a human saying . I thought you would get it.”

“Oh.” I blush, maybe I am a little stupid.

“ Pixies were ancient protectors of the woods. They were far more powerful, scarier then the movies made them out to be.”

“What happened to them?”

“The same thing that happens to everything in this world. Humans. Intentionally or not, they destroy everything, including themselves.” he explains, gazing at me with a knowing twinkle in his eyes.

Copyright © 2019 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..