Jump to content
    xXxAmorexXx
  • Author
  • 999 Words
  • 4,458 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adjusting - 1. Chapter 1 - Running

Running. It was nothing new to me. Others considered it a fun pastime, or maybe an evil forced upon them by their malevolent dictator, otherwise known as the gym teacher. However, to me, it was as much a part of my life as breathing. Running could calm me down from a horrible mood, or could help me to hunt for my food for the night. But at the moment, it was extending my life a little bit longer.

Growls, snarls, and yelps were following me as I sprinted through the forest, dodging all the low-lying branches that threatened to snap at me. My paws were flying beneath me; the wind was whistling through my fur. Were it not for the loud noises the wolves behind me were making, I could almost enjoy the freedom running gave me. In light of the circumstances, though, it was understandable, I think, that I couldn't relax. In fact, I was scared out of my mind.

Contrary to popular belief, packs were not right up against each other. Nobody really liked rogues. Hell, I was one and even I hated them. Because of this, there was about a mile of no man's land in between all of the packs' territories. This was where the rogues could be found, and sometimes pack members when they were visiting other packs to see family, visit friends, or maybe arrange a treaty.

Even with this safe land to walk on, I had managed to stray off course. Dehydration and a growling stomach had caused me to follow my instincts and get to the closest water source. A river or lake meant water, something to soothe my thirst and find some prey to hunt. Being half-delirious with thirst and hunger had me completely ignoring the scent markers indicating that I was crossing pack boundaries. Which led me to where I was now: being chased by the very pack I had intruded upon. If I could tell them that my actions were purely accidental, I would in a heartbeat. However, they hadn't given me any time to shift to my human form and explain before snapping at me with sharp teeth and attempting to attack me. So I ran.

The snapping of twigs behind me brought me out of my reverie as I realized the sounds were getting closer to me. Somehow finding an extra burst of speed, I sprinted away from the angry pack that was hot on my heels. No man's land was close, and I'd be able to more easily get away once I crossed the border. Once I was far enough away from the pack's territory, they'd leave me alone and go home. It wasn't worth their time to hunt little old me down.

Unfortunately for me, I was incredibly clumsy. My lack of coordination and balance caused me to trip and tumble as soon as my front left paw caught on a stray rock. My entire body did several somersaults before I landed on the hard forest floor with a solid thud. I barely had any time to register the pain radiating from my back before the first wolf descended upon me.

The large wolf immediately picked me up by the scruff of my neck and, ignoring my whimpers and obvious show of submission to him, flung me against the nearest tree. I yelped out at the pain, but remained huddled on the ground, baring my neck and belly to him in an attempt to prove to him that I meant no harm. However, he seemed to take my submission as a ruse--either that or he just didn’t care. The wolf dove in and began to rip away bits of my flesh, muscles, and fur. My yelps now sounded like screams as I desperately tried to crawl away from him to no avail. My blood poured out against the ground, making the autumn leaves around me a dark, sticky red. Finally, when I was about to pass out from the pain, I felt the wolf grab the scruff of my neck again with his teeth and drag me to some unknown destination. I understood, though, when I could smell the change of territory. He had dragged me back into no man’s land and, with a snort, he turned and left, his message to me clear enough without any words being said. And stay out.

The pain was brutal and everywhere. It caused me to shift back, a natural reaction to such extreme pain. I didn't move at all for the fear that any sudden movements would increase my pain tenfold. This was usually the case when something like this happened.

Yes, unfortunately events such as the one that had recently transpired happened more often than not. Such was the life of a rogue.

One might ask why someone would want this life. The life of running, always running. The life of constant hunger pains. The life of always being parched. The life of knowing everyone hates you. The life of hating yourself.

Most rogues don’t choose this lifestyle. Many of them were kicked out of their packs for various reasons. Some were unfortunate enough to go mad after their mate died. A small percent willingly left their packs for one reason or another, but that wasn't me. I was shoved into this Hell in a way that still gave me nightmares, in a way that still caused me to be wary around kind strangers. I was different now, cracked; I would never be the same person I used to be.

The pain wasn't fading, but my consciousness was. I couldn't handle it much longer and soon would be in the sweet darkness that seemed to embrace me all too often. But, right before I was gone, I felt another presence. In my last conscientious moments, I sniffed at the stranger. It was a male wolf. A male pack wolf. Great. Finally, the pain was gone as I welcomed the darkness and passed out.

Copyright © 2014 xXxAmorexXx; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Adrian! Who knew he would be brutalized for the crime of looking for food? Will this other person save him? Is the male from a different pack on the other side of the no mans land? ..... I like this chapter! This is a good start!

Link to comment
On 10/02/2013 02:59 PM, Ashton said:
Poor Adrian! Who knew he would be brutalized for the crime of looking for food? Will this other person save him? Is the male from a different pack on the other side of the no mans land? ..... I like this chapter! This is a good start!
Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed it :)
Link to comment
On 10/03/2013 05:18 AM, aditus said:
A good start, I'll definitely come back for more. :)
Yay! Hahah thanks for reading :)
Link to comment
On 10/03/2013 05:18 AM, aditus said:
A good start, I'll definitely come back for more. :)
Yay! Hahah thanks for reading :)
Link to comment
On 10/02/2013 11:38 PM, joann414 said:
Different, but very interesting. Can't wait to see where you go with this. Good job! :great::read:
Hahah thanks, I'm glad you like it so far (:
Link to comment
On 10/03/2013 05:00 AM, ninecila said:
Dramatic, but really good :) I hope there is coming more soon :)
I'm glad you liked it :) There is more to come (:
Link to comment
On 10/03/2013 11:02 AM, scotty94 said:
very good keep up the hard work, and I will be looking forward for more.
Thank you :) Love knowing that you'll be watching the story! :)
Link to comment

Interesting, gives you enough to snag you and make you want to come back and find out what you left out, very intriguing.

Link to comment
On 10/15/2013 08:58 AM, Daithi said:
Interesting, gives you enough to snag you and make you want to come back and find out what you left out, very intriguing.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..