Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,967 Words
  • 482 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Raising Evzen - 9. Admission

An imposing stone façade stood under the reflected light of Slunce, the Prsteny offering just enough illumination to guide Sasha down a long drive. If the ring-light wasn’t enough, a double row of lamps ran along the road, yellow halos spreading to beckon visitors onward. At the end, the stone building waited, a single story that managed to look welcoming and intimidating at the same time.

The Faro pulled around the side of the building, into a large car park. Stopping under a bright lamp, Sasha shut off the car and stepped out to open the door for his master. A quick look around reassured him that there weren’t many people here. It shouldn’t take more than a few bells to apply for the JNP and the academy itself.

“Pane, I have to warn you that there’s only twenty storms left until the academies start classes. It might be too late to sign up for a campus close to your home.”

“What if I don’t want to be home?” Evžen challenged.

“Then you need to sign up for a campus that’s at least five hundred kilometers from home. Pan Novák only told me to take you to the Imperial office; he never told us what to sign up for aside from the JNP,” Sasha said.

The Lidikrys frowned at him. Turning toward the building, Evžen shook his head slowly.

“Am I even ready for the Academy? I don’t know anything,” he muttered.

“Pane, if I may be so bold, if you aren’t ready, it’s okay. They have classes to help prepare you. And I will remain by your side to make sure you only have to worry about learning.”

“You’re my slave. You’re supposed to make me feel better,” Evžen scowled.

“I am supposed to make you happy. And sometimes that means upsetting you in the moment. If I didn’t believe you were ready, I would let you know,” Sasha said honestly. “It would do you no favours to let you think you could do something you can’t.”

“Let’s just get this over with.”

Sasha followed his master closely, setting the matter aside for now. Evžen didn’t believe him, but that was okay. Eventually he’d realize that Sasha was only there to do what was in Evžen’s best interests.

Dim lights greeted them inside, Sasha instantly taking stock of the large lobby they were in. Minimalism ruled the room, the only furniture plastic chairs that were a stark contrast from the fancy seats Sasha was used to. The Faro didn’t doubt they were an oddity in Evžen’s eyes. One was taken already, a black rat sitting uncomfortably in the plastic. His clothes marked him as a noblerat, polished hickory buttons running down the front of his suit.

Another Lidikrys sat behind a window, beady black eyes glancing at Sasha and Evžen as they entered. He let out a sigh and set a tablet aside, waiting for Evžen to approach.

The cinnamon rat hesitated, his eyes glancing back at Sasha.

“What are you waiting for?” Evžen demanded.

Sasha stepped up to the window, his posture remaining submissive to the Lidikrys behind the counter.

“My master would like to sign up for classes,” the Faro said, as Evžen sidled up to the counter.

Behind him, Sasha heard a snort from the other Lidikrys in the room.

“Name?”

“Evžen Novák.”

A moment of typing later, the Lidikrys scowled at Sasha.

“Mister Evžen Novák is already signed up for classes at the Císařské Louky campus,” he said.

Sasha’s mind raced at the information. Císařské Louky… the Imperial Meadows, that was near the Twilight Zone, a good six thousand kilometres away. There was no way Sasha’s master would be signed up for a campus that far away.

“With your permission, may I have a copy of his schedule?” Sasha asked.

The Lidikrys sighed, but turned toward a printer. He handed Sasha a sheet of parchment a moment later, and the Faro scanned the top of the sheet quickly.

“Pane, Pan Ambroz is sponsoring your admittance to the Císařské Louky,” he said, stepping back from the window.

“What? Why?” Evžen demanded.

“I think he wants to make sure you have the best education. He might have chosen you over Pan Jindřich.”

Evžen puffed up a bit at that thought, pride washing off of him. It took a moment for him to think through the implications.

“Wait… does this mean I can’t sign up for the JNP?” he asked.

“Pane, you are your own person. You can sign up for what you want. If Pan Ambroz withdraws his sponsorship, Pan Novák will still pay for the academy. It will have to be closer out of necessity.”

Evžen took a breath, before approaching the counter.

“I want to sign up for the space navy,” he said.

Sasha could see the slight trembles in his master, and a sense of pride ran through him. It was a small thing for Evžen to handle his own affairs. But it was still a sign of progress, however small.

The Lidikrys behind the counter let out another sigh, typing quietly.

“Enlisted?”

Evžen’s eyes flashed at Sasha in confusion, and the Faro stepped back up to the counter.

“Commissioned,” he breathed.

“Commissioned,” Evžen repeated louder.

“Rank?”

“Um…”

Sasha’s master pulled a card out of a pocket, setting it on the counter.

“Whatever a hundred thousand credits buys,” he said with a little more confidence.

The Lidikrys rolled his eyes, taking the card.

“You will be tested for Lieutenant Junior Grade.”

Again Evžen glanced at Sasha in confusion.

“One step above Ensign,” Sasha provided quietly. “You’ll be an officer, but not highly ranked.”

“If you fail today, the credits will be returned, sans a ten percent testing fee. If you succeed, you will join a Junior Navy program that will last for three draks through your academy training before officially joining the Imperial navy as an officer.”

One look at the Lidikrys’ eyes showed what he thought of Evžen’s chances at succeeding. Sasha wasn’t worried in the slightest; the admittance test was basic maths, reading, and a bit of running. A pup could do it.

“Your slave will be tested as a spacerat apprentice. If he fails, you will have to select a personal slave from those already enlisted, and the Faro will not be permitted on any naval grounds. Petty Officer Ctvrtnik will be with you shortly to perform the tests.”

There was no chance Sasha would fail testing. He’d been trained as a naval intelligence operative to protect Evžen throughout his career as part of Bohdan’s requirements. It was one of the reasons he was so expensive. Still, he could see the doubt growing in Evzen’s eyes.

“Pane, please focus on yourself. I promise I will not let you down,” the Faro said quietly.

“You never told me there would be a test!” the Lidikrys hissed as he stepped away from the counter.

“The test is only to make sure you’re breathing,” Sasha said as they sat down across from the black Lidikrys. “Pane, can you add two and three together?”

“Yes…” Evžen scowled.

“Can you say hello in Xanthian?”

“Yes…”

“Can you jog for an entire bell?”

Evžen glared at the Faro, his eyes flashing dangerously.

“Then you will have no trouble with this test,” Sasha said confidently.

 

“Mistr Jacob Svoboda.”

Sasha glanced up as a Lidikrys stepped through a door. An imperial red uniform covered white fur, designating the Lidikrys as a námořník, bound to Země’s oceans. His left shoulder bore three wooden chevrons under crossed anchors, the sign of a chief petty officer. The Faro wondered how he was qualified to test anyone for the space program.

The black Lidikrys stood up, putting a name to his face. He couldn’t be much older than Evžen, but he held himself with a confidence that was lacking in Sasha’s master. A confidence the Faro would work hard to cultivate away from the Novák household.

Evžen and Sasha both pretended not to watch as Jacob was taken back through the hall, vanishing behind a door. The Faro could see his master’s face screwing up in concentration, no doubt trying to prepare for whatever test was coming. Sasha understood his nerves, but they were misplaced. Evžen was only being tested for potential. It would be up to the officers running the JNP to get him in shape for service.

Two bells passed before Jacob Svoboda emerged from the back rooms. Sasha saw the remnants of a grin fade from his face as he walked back down the hall, until all that was left was a dignified noblerat who would let out nothing that could be used against him. He passed the two, heading out of the building, and Sasha relaxed slightly as he waited. Another bell passed, and finally Chief Petty Officer Ctvrtnik stepped out again.

“Mistr Evžen Novák.”

Sasha rose with his master, taking place beside and just behind him. The two approached the recruiter, who cast a withering look at the Faro. He led them down the hall and through a door before motioning toward a lilac Lidikrys in a blue uniform of a kosmonaut.

“Your slave will be tested by Petty Officer Veselý.”

The Lidikrys waited for Sasha impatiently, but the Faro held back, casting calm glances at Evžen until his master finally stepped in. It wouldn’t be proper for him to be ordered around by these Lidikrys without Evžen’s permission. It would bring Evžen’s leadership into question if his slave were to leave without orders from his master.

“Sasha, go with him!”

“Yes Pane,” the Faro said with a bow, before following the lilac rat.

Petty Officer Veselý stepped into a side room, grabbing a tablet. A moment’s typing seemed to satisfy the rat, and he led Sasha into another hall, and another room.

Exercise gear sat around the room, most of it connected to various computers. Against the far wall sat a large tank of water, big enough to swim in. The sight of that tank was almost enough to make Sasha afraid. But Evžen was applying for the space program. Neither of them should have to handle the swimming portion of the navy test.

The Lidikrys turned on Sasha, his eyes studying the Faro.

“Disrobe.”

Sasha followed orders without complaint, stripping down to his undergarments. He folded his uniform neatly, and set it aside.

“In the water.”

Sasha used his next breath to restrain his emotions, even as he stepped toward the tank. It wasn’t the water that worried him. It was the knowledge that his master was likely going through a similar test. He didn’t even know if Evžen could swim. But there was no way he’d dishonour Evžen by questioning his orders.

He stretched briefly, nowhere near enough, before climbing the ladder and diving into the pool. It was narrow, confined, barely four metres long. And as soon as he dived in, a wave started pushing him back against the ladder, forcing Sasha to swim just to maintain position.

The Faro’s head stayed above the warm water as a computer came to life nearby. He could just barely see the screen, showing how many metres he’d swam. It would not stop until it reached 450. He needed to reach that number in the next 400 breaths.

Water dragged across his fur, drenching him, slowing him down. But Sasha ignored the weight of his fur. He’d done this test before. He’d beaten the ten minute time limit only eighteen storms ago. The number of metres creeped higher and higher, hitting 100, 200, 300…

His muscles started to ache, to burn, but the Faro paced himself, watching the time increase as he worked. 280 breaths passed, and Sasha pushed forward, his arms stretching as he fought the wave machine that threatened to push him back.

“Time!”

Sasha slammed against the back of the tank, his hand grabbing the ladder. Dragging himself out of the water, the Faro gasped for air. He sat on the ladder, his fur dripping back into the tank as he caught his breath and relaxed his muscles for the next ordeal. 340 breaths showed on the monitor, over the 450 metres required. It was a time Sasha allowed himself to be proud of. The fastest he’d had at the farm was just over 350 breaths.

But Veselý would not allow any breaks.

“If forty percent of a number is four, what is the number?” the Lidikrys snapped out.

Sasha eased his breathing, trying to let his body recover even as his mind worked on this new problem.

“Ten, Pan Veselý,” he said, trying his best not to gasp the answer out.

“What is the area of a circle with a radius of two metres?”

The questions continued as Sasha dripped, giving the Faro a chance to rest from his swimming. Finally, nearly 400 breaths later, he was directed out of the pool and to an empty space on the floor.

“You have eighty breaths to do as many pushups as you can,” Veselý said sharply.

Sasha dropped down as a screen showed a timer. He poured his focus into the task at hand, his arms fighting fatigue. A harsh beep sounded before he knew it, and Sasha stopped, pulling himself into a kneeling position as he panted quietly.

“102. It’s enough,” the Lidikrys said. “What is the advantage of a single pulley?”

“It changes the direction of the effort, Pan Veselý.”

More questions followed in the next eighty breaths, offering the Faro the barest reprieve from exercise before Veselý sent him back to the mat. This time, Sasha was ordered to do as many sit-ups as he could in the next eighty breaths. He managed 109 before the timer chimed again; not his best score, but enough.

Another bout of questions preceded a set of pull-ups. By this point, Sasha’s body had built up an almost comforting ache. His mind was reeling, though anyone watching the Faro wouldn’t have known. These tests were for rats who had already been through the naval training programs, not for rats just entering them. If Sasha hadn’t been trained before becoming Evžen’s slave, he never would have succeeded in these tests.

Someone didn’t want Evžen to have a slave in the navy. Or they were trying to keep Evžen out of the navy entirely, though targeting Sasha was a strange way of accomplishing that goal.

Either way, Sasha was faced with the fact that someone expected Evžen to try for the navy. The Faro couldn’t say Bohdan was smart, but there was no way he would brag about sending his son into the navy in the face of Evžen’s social obligations.

As the Faro stepped on a treadmill, starting a 3 kilometre run, he decided to let the matter stew for a bit. Evžen would not be denied his slave in the navy; that much was obvious. If the Lidikrys was meant to fail, if this was supposed to separate Sasha and Evžen, there wasn’t much either of them could do about it.

 

Faro and Lidikrys stepped outside into a warm downpour. Sasha hurried to open the car door for Evžen, his master ducking into the sheltered vehicle quickly.

“That was an easy test,” Evžen said as Sasha slid in behind the wheel.

Sasha was happy to hear the test hadn’t been set up to keep his master out of the navy. Evžen now held a commission as a midshipman of the Imperial Navy, pursuant to his success at the Imperial Academy that would see him as a lieutenant junior grade. It answered a couple of questions in Sasha’s mind. Evžen was meant to enter the navy, but he was supposed to have an opening for a personal slave.

Presumably the person who had made Sasha’s test difficult had their own slave in mind, likely one who would see to it Evžen followed their masters’ orders. What those orders might be was anyone’s guess, but Sasha knew to be more vigilant now.

His mind worked through possibilities, following trails as he drove to Novák House. Whoever this person was expected Evžen to join the navy of his own volition. They expected duplicity on Bohdan’s part. Honza Ambroz would be the most obvious possibility. It supported Sasha’s opinion that Honza was grooming Evžen to be his ward. A career in the navy would only serve to elevate the Ambroz clan, a clan that was low in the Lidikrys aristocracy, though not bordering the gentry as Clan Novák was. It would make sense for Honza to replace Sasha with his own slave, to give Honza more control over Evžen.

This almost guaranteed that Evžen had beaten Jindřich for Honza’s affections. There was no reason for the Ambroz patriarch to go through this much effort if Evžen did not factor into his own plans. Sasha would have to let Bohdan know as soon as they got back to the house. The Faro was in for a busy storm. He would have to get Evžen’s measurements and find a uniform for the Lidikrys, as well as look for suitable lodging for his master in the Císařské Louky; something that would be near prohibitively expensive.

“Jindřich is flying to the Císařské Louky,” Evžen said suddenly, looking up from a small tablet. “Do you think he got into the academy there too?”

“It is possible,” Sasha replied, letting his mind examine that likelihood.

Perhaps the noblerat’s father had decided to take him out of the running on his own. Though Sasha wasn’t sure that theory was sound. Jindřich had been well dressed; an attention grabber at the arena. It seemed more likely that Honza was sending both Evžen and Jindřich to the academy. More proof that he wasn’t looking for a lover, but for a ward.

Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..