Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,848 Words
  • 170 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Raising Evzen - 11. First Flight

The smell of heated bread mixed with the strong scent of vanilla. Sasha wrinkled his nose, adjusting his uniform one last time before stepping out of the basement of the manor.
He hurried to the kitchen, checking the rolls. Out of the corner of his eye, Sasha saw Evžen sitting at the table, and the Faro fought back a frown. It was far too early for his master to be awake. Had he even slept at all?
“I’ve decided your punishment,” the Lidikrys yawned, resting his chin on the breakfast nook table. “You’re not allowed to leave my sight until I say so.”
“Yes, Pane,” Sasha said, pulling the rolls out of the oven.
The invasion must have been more terrifying for Evžen than Sasha had realised. He wondered if that meant Bohdan and Adéla were still awake. And where was Zelenka? Was it normal for her to shirk the household duties?
Eggs hissed on the stovetop, and Sasha pulled out the leftover strawberry marinade. He placed it beside the eggs, letting it heat up while working on a side of buttery batter.
“Do you know who sent the intruders yet?” Evžen questioned as the Faro cooked.
“No Pane. I have a few suspicions, but no proof.”
Evžen wrinkled his nose, staring at Sasha’s tail. The Faro had wrapped it again, keeping it motionless, though the time in the med gel had cured any pain. He couldn’t say the break was gone, but Sasha was certain his tail would no longer interfere in his ability to protect his master.
“Were you in the med tank again?” the young rat demanded.
“Yes Pane.”
“Why did you wait to fix your tail?”
“It wasn’t important.”
Evžen stared at the fox in amazement, his own tail curling in discomfort.
“You really don’t care if you’re hurt…”
“No, Pane,” Sasha replied, pouring strawberries into the batter.
The Faro folded bits of batter around the strawberries, setting them on a tin. He stuck the tin into the oven, turning back to the eggs.
“Why is your tail still wrapped if it’s fixed?”
“To keep my emotions from showing. If someone knows how I feel, they can use that against me, and possibly against you. It is safer to keep my tail immobile.”
It took a bell for the dumplings to cook. Sasha continued answering Evžen’s questions, mulling over the current problem in his mind.
Evžen wanted him within sight at all times. The Lidikrys was scared, and that didn’t bode well for any sort of military career. His world had been shaken— until now, Evžen had held power, limited as it was by his father. For the first time, Sasha’s master had realised his life could be ended.
Somehow, Sasha had to fix Evžen’s perception of the universe.
Setting a pair of dumplings on a plate, the Faro carried them to his master.
“Pane, may I ask for clarification on my punishment?”
“You’re not allowed to leave my sight. What’s hard to understand?” Evžen scowled, poking at the pastries with a fork.
“The punishment does not seem to be a punishment at all. I should rarely be out of your sight as your personal slave,” Sasha said.
“Are you asking for an additional punishment?” Evžen asked incredulously.
“If that is your wish, Pane. I am asking because I do not understand the purpose for the punishment. Why this punishment?”
The Lidikrys glared at Sasha, refusing to give him the answer they both knew. But it meant he was aware of the problem now. Sasha returned to the kitchen, aware of Evžen’s scorching stare. He focused on the task at hand, making up the egg salad for breakfast. A moment’s thought had a small lunch packed for Evžen. His master would get hungry on the plane, and Sasha wasn’t sure what the accommodations would be.

Zelenka stepped into the kitchen a few breaths after the third bell. She looked around the room in surprise, taking in the fully made breakfast and the Faro cleaning up the last dish he’d used.
“You did all of this?” she demanded quietly.
“The wall still needs to be repainted. I am not permitted to leave Pan’s sight at the moment,” Sasha said.
He didn’t bother answering her question; it would be a waste of his time.
“Pan Evžen is asleep,” Zelenka pointed out.
Sasha glanced at the snoring Lidikrys; Evžen was indeed laying cheek first in the remnants of his dumplings. Still, the Faro had his orders.
“What’s your name?”
“Sasha.”
“I’ve been Pani’s slave since I was born. I know how things work around here, and I am more than capable of watching a sleeping Lidikrys,” Zelenka said, towering over the Faro. “You will paint the wall on your own, and let me finish cleaning the kitchen.”
“I will not disobey a direct order from Pan,” Sasha denied, setting the clean skillet in a cabinet. “If you wish, you can wake Pan up and discuss me painting the wall with him. He might not take to being woken up very kindly though.”
The Daknar glanced at the sleeping Lidikrys warily.
“Pan will not appreciate his son’s fur having strawberries in it,” she said. “Perhaps you should wake him so he can wash.”
“Pan needs his sleep. We will be leaving in a few bells. Bring me the account book in Pan Bohdan’s office.”
“You don’t tell me what to do!” Zelenka snapped, towering over the Faro.
Sasha looked up at the Daknar calmly, waiting. Letting out a disgusted grunt, Zelenka stormed out of the room, returning a few minutes later with a large book and a pen.
The Faro took the book, setting it on a counter. He flipped through the pages until he found the section detailing his purchase. As he expected, the wages column under his name were empty; Bohdan had been too lazy to properly document his purchase and contract. The Faro began filling the first few rows, detailing the four bell breaks to sleep and the mandatory base wage for a personal slave per day, a mere fifteen credits as opposed to the sixty credits for a personal Lidikrys slave.
“What are you doing?” Zelenka hissed.
“I am making sure I’m not taken away from Pan. They tried twice already, they’ll do it again,” Sasha said, carefully marking the cost of the meals he’d eaten, bringing his earnings down to five credits each day.
If he ever paid off the credits Pan Bohdan had spent to buy him, he would be free. But the system was designed to keep non-Lidikrys enslaved while lifting Lidikrys out of poverty and homelessness. There was no freedom in sight for Sasha, not that he wanted it. His life was Evžen’s, and had been since he’d been conceived.
“If Pan finds out-”
“When Pan Bohdan finds out, after you tell him, he can come up with a fitting punishment. I will be secure in the knowledge that I did my job and served my master.”
Double checking his figures, the Faro closed the book and handed it back to Zelenka. Satisfied that there would be no legal reason for him to be taken away, Sasha grabbed a soft cloth and went into the keeping room to dust the instruments, making sure he was within Evžen’s sight at all times.

“What is that?”
Sasha followed his master’s hand. A young Lidikrys was standing beside a wall, a holographic poster beside him. Within the blue lights, Sasha could see a Lidikrys standing over a Daknar, cutting off a wing as the slave writhed in agony. The image exploded outward, a golden sun appearing over the same Lidikrys working in a farm beside the Daknar.
“It is a poster for the Poutníkova Spravedlnost,” Sasha said, veering subtly away from the poster. “They’re an organisation funded by the princess to make slavery illegal.”
What such a poster was doing on Země was beyond his knowledge. The princess had been exiled to Narax years ago for her extreme views on various issues. Having a holograph for her organisation planetside was suspicious, if not illegal.
“What language is that?” Evžen frowned, staring at the words coming from the Daknar’s mouth.
“It’s Xanthian, Pane,” Sasha replied, still guiding the Lidikrys away from the poster.
“Oh. It’s moving too fast,” his master scowled. “I can’t read it.”
“Flight 136 to Císařské Louky is now boarding.”
Sasha’s steps sped up at the masculine voice echoing through the port, though he remained in his proper spot behind Evžen and to the left. The subtle increase in his steps spurred Evžen forward a bit faster, and the two hurried through the small port with the practised air of a noblerat who never hurried anywhere.
A quick check at their tickets, and they were through security, making their way to the terminal where flashing lights blinked through a dark window. Sasha let Evžen lead him down a short connection, and they stepped onto the plane, pausing to take in the luxurious seats that ran the length of the cabin. Everything was sized for Daknar slaves to serve their masters, promising plenty of room for Evžen to settle in for the storm-long flight. Even Sasha had a relatively comfortable seat, with enough room to spread out if needed.
He waited for Evžen to pick their seats, glancing at the passengers around them. No one seemed dangerous— even the Daknar accompanying them seemed generally relaxed. Sasha decided they were drugged. The reptiles never seemed to enjoy flying, despite the wings on their backs, and their masters usually paid the extra credits to have them sedated.
It was an option Sasha hadn’t even considered. If he was sedated, he wouldn’t be able to serve Evžen. Yet, as the roar of the engines kicked on, the Faro felt an uncomfortable emotion.
Fear.
He’d never flown before. All reports said it was safe, and there was absolutely nothing to worry about. But this fear was harder to stamp out, and it frustrated Sasha. He was going to be on a starship, travelling through space. Heights had no meaning for him.
Evžen’s eyes echoed his fear as they began moving. That was enough for Sasha. He schooled his appearance into nonchalance, keeping himself calm for his master’s sake. There was no need to be afraid. If anything, the flight was going to be boring— 24 bells of sitting and waiting.
Sasha would not be lulled into complacency though. Signs were pointing toward his life being in danger, and if he was in danger, so was Evžen. Regardless of the reason, Sasha would remain vigilant.

Sasha’s stomach lurched as the plane touched down. Beside him, Evžen shuddered awake. The Lidikrys glanced around quickly, gathering his bearings as the plane made the slow taxi toward their terminal.
“Who’s going to get us from the airport?” Evžen demanded as the plane’s engines shut off.
“I am unsure, Pan,” Sasha replied, rising to gather the hand luggage they’d brought with them. “The instructions say to wait in Císařská Káva, but that is a slave-free restaurant. I would have to wait outside.”
“Why?”
“I believe the restaurant experiences some clandestine meetings. It is safer to forbid slaves to preserve security,” Sasha replied.
He had his own suspicions about their separation, but Sasha wouldn’t worry his master with the thought that he might be taken away. He would not be taken away, and that was the end of the matter.
The two passed through the connection and into the terminal. A glass ceiling allowed them to watch planes taking off and landing in the gleam of the Prsteny. In the distance, a diffuse magenta glow stretched across the horizon, and Evžen froze midway through the terminal, staring at the light through a window.
“What is that?”
“That is the glow of Slunce, Pane,” Sasha replied. “We are near the Twilight Zone now, and the starlight will show better here. If you look at the Prsteny, it is a little thicker than usual.” They watched the sky for a minute before Sasha cleared his throat quietly. “We do need to get to Císařská Káva, Pane.”
Evžen nodded, but continued staring at the starlight.
“If you wish, I can collect your luggage while you go to the restaurant,” Sasha added.
“Don’t leave me,” Evžen snapped, drawing curious eyes toward the two. His whiskers twitched, and Evžen turned away from the window. “Where is the restaurant?”
Following the Lidikrys, Sasha guided him through the airport, using the pressure of his presence to steer Evžen. As they walked, he continued to monitor their surroundings — it was highly unlikely for anything to happen in the airport, but Sasha would not rest until Evžen was safe in whatever accommodations Pan Ambroz had planned for them.
They emerged into a massive atrium. Chandeliers dangled from a stained glass ceiling, casting their light both across the floor below and the colourful roses adorning the soaring roof. Marble floors glittered in the warm light, trod on by thousands of feet passing to and from various terminals and shops. Several benches were spread through the cavernous hall, interspersed with exotic shrubs and trees from off-world. In the centre, a large willow cast shadows over a fountain surrounding it. The branches drooped, trimmed to a metre over the waters below. The fountain itself sparkled with crystalline water, burbling quietly as it was refreshed with a cascade.
Evžen stared at the tree in awe. Sasha couldn’t blame him — as well studied as the Faro was, even he had never seen a tree that large. The two approached the tree, Sasha keeping just enough wit about him to scan the area for threats as his master fell under the tree’s thrall.
Piano music wove under the thunderous murmur of travellers. Evžen’s ears swivelled, following the sound to a Lidikrys playing a piano near the entrance of the airport.
“He’s male!” Evžen glared at Sasha accusingly. “Father says only women can play piano!”
“Pane, I think you’ll find Pan Novák is a bit dated in his views of the galaxy,” Sasha said diplomatically.
“But he made you keep me from the piano.”
“I was bought for you, Pane. That makes you my owner. I must still obey Pan Novák, but your orders take precedence.” Sasha paused, choosing his words carefully. He couldn’t correct Evžen directly, but he needed to restore the Lidikrys’ trust. “I have your best interests in mind at all times, and I will do everything I can to protect you.”
“So keeping me from playing the piano was just you protecting me from my father?” Evžen asked uncertainly.
“Yes, Pane.” He hadn’t kept Evžen from playing the piano — the Lidikrys had still played the instrument. But Sasha was going to let his master have this one. There was little option. “And you will be late if we remain here much longer.”
“Oh.” Evžen studied the Faro’s face, seeking something. “Then… thank you, Sasha.”
Sasha almost fought down the wince. The grin on Evžen’s face told him he’d failed. Was the thanks punishment? Or was Evžen getting some twisted pleasure out of making him squirm?
It had to be entertainment. At least his master seemed to have left his tail-breaking phase behind him. Perhaps Sasha just had to consider himself lucky he had no wings to tear off.
“We will go to the restaurant then,” Evžen said finally, turning toward a sign.
Sasha fell into position behind him, following the Lidikrys through the airport. It wasn’t long before they stopped outside a small entrance. The smell of fresh coffee filled the air, mixing with the general scent of breakfast, and Sasha’s stomach gurgled with hunger.
Evžen stared up at the sign over the entrance, visibly steeling himself.
“You’ll watch me from here,” he demanded.
“Of course, Pane,” Sasha replied. “I’ll be waiting for you when you get back.”
Thus soothed, Evžen strode into the cafe beyond. Sasha stepped out of the way, making sure Evžen could see him anytime he looked.
His fur bristled as a Lidikrys stepped toward Evžen. Jindřich’s presence was not unexpected — it was likely he’d flown in on the same plane as Evžen and Sasha. Still, Sasha wasn’t happy with how close he was to Evžen. There was enough space between them to avoid impropriety, but Sasha was going to keep his eye on the young noble-
“That him?”
“Yeah, that’s the Novák atom.”
Sasha turned as a pair of Lidikrys approached. He bowed quickly, scanning their uniforms. A bronze scale on their breasts marked them as CAPS agents, working to ensure indentured servants were properly paid. While the agency focused mainly on Lidikrys, it wasn’t unusual for them to approach a slave — slavery was nominally under the indenture system after all.
He doubted they were here for a friendly visit though.
“Pánové. How might I help you?” Sasha asked, holding his bow.
“We are with the Císařská Agentura pro Podružné Smlouvy,” one of the Lidikrys said, holding up a badge. “We received a tip that Bohdan Novák has been treating his servants unfairly.”
“My apologies, pánové, but I was under the impression my contract was a gift for Pan Evžen Novák,” Sasha lied smoothly. “He has left me in charge of the bookkeeping for my wages, with the understanding that there will be an audit every twenty storms.”
The Lidikrys glanced at each other in surprise.
“It would explain the variation in the handwriting,” one shrugged.
“One thing,” the other Lidikrys scowled at Sasha. “Mistr Novák filed an insurance claim two storms ago. It seems one of his servants perished unexpectedly. Do you have any idea how that happened?”
Sasha’s ears planed back. He couldn’t tell if this was a test or not. Should he tell the truth, or try to preserve Bohdan’s privacy?
“It was my understanding the cause of fatalities must be indicated on a report,” he said cautiously.
“Don’t dodge-”
“The cause of death was stated to be a bullet,” the other Lidikrys spoke over his partner. “It was a very unusual cause of death, and naturally, it sparked some alarm for the agency.”
Sasha’s mind whirred through possibilities. These two were part of the government, however small that part was. Sasha was loyal to the Empire, but his loyalties to Evžen came first. But perhaps these two could be assets. It was highly unlikely the government would try to murder a noblerat, however close to the middle class they were. He needed to tread carefully here in any case.
“Please understand, pánové, I’m responsible for keeping the young pan safe,” he said, allowing concern to edge into his voice. “There was an assault on Novák House, and I am unsure who was behind it. Pan Novák only had two servants home at the time, myself and a Daknar. I’m worried that if word got out Pan survived, he might be in more danger.”
“Your tail,” the sour agent noted. “It’s bandaged. How did it get injured?”
Fishing for information, but for what purpose? Who gave them the tip? Sasha could only assume they were here to take him away, but there had to be a legitimate reason to separate him from Evžen, or the Nováks would raise a major fuss.
“I caught my tail in a door my first storm at Novák House,” he said.
It was a flimsy excuse, little better than the standard ‘fell down a flight of stairs’. But it should hold up under scrutiny — Radek was the only one at Novák House who knew he’d broken his tail, and he was dead.
“Your masters didn’t have it healed?” the agent demanded. “I would think they’d take better care of a Faro.”
“They did,” Sasha replied. “I was in the med tank for an entire storm. But I prefer to keep it wrapped.”
“Jan, this isn’t working-” The Lidikrys held up a hand, silencing his partner again.
“It is rare to see a slave so loyal to their master,” he said. “You don’t have to suffer for their sake. We have it within our power to put you on a ship headed to Narax. A smart Faro like you could easily find your way to the Alliance.”
Resorting to bribery… someone really didn’t want him protecting Evžen.
“Forgive me, but I cannot be bought without discussing the price with my master,” he said.
“And where is your master?” Jan asked.
“In the restaurant. He requested I remain here, where he could see me,” Sasha replied.
Jan nodded to his partner, who hurried into the restaurant. A couple of minutes passed before the Lidikrys emerged again, shaking his head. Jan sighed heavily.
“Let’s go,” he grunted, turning away from Sasha.
The Faro watched the two leave, a hint of satisfaction growing in his chest. Maybe that could have gone better, but he’d achieved his goals. He was still with Evžen.

A bell passed before he was approached again. Sasha watched a charcoal-grey Lidikrys converge on him, shadowed by a strange creature. He stared at the alien slave — he could see the Anderles’ golden Möbius strip on the scaly creature’s collar. Small, beady eyes stared at Sasha, and a long snout hung over a twitching mouth. The creature’s fingers fiddled with each other, and it looked away quickly, avoiding Sasha’s gaze.
These two certainly weren’t here to steal him from Evžen.
“You are the Novák slave?” the Lidikrys demanded as Sasha bowed.
“Yes, Mistr,” Sasha replied, eyeing the collar with the Ambroz agaricus on the Lidikrys’ neck.
“I am Viktor, Pan Ambroz’s head servant. This is Pavel, Mistr Anderle’s Šupinat,” the Lidikrys said, waving dismissively toward the creature.
Sasha glanced at the other slave with mild surprise. The Anderles might have just outdone the Nováks on unique pets — Šupinats were unknown outside of military circles, as their planet had yet to be colonised. He must have been captured by Radek Anderle, Jindřich’s uncle in the Imperial Army.
“Are you in trouble with CAPS?” Viktor demanded.
“No, Mistr Viktor,” Sasha replied quickly. “There were some questions about my wages-”
“I don’t care. Your master will handle that; it’s beyond my concern. Did your master not arrive with luggage?”
“We came straight here, Mistr Viktor,” Sasha said. “Pan requested I remain here where he could see me. I cannot leave to get his luggage.”
“And you are his only slave? Of course you are,” Viktor muttered before Sasha could respond.
He tapped at a tablet, tail twitching behind him. A quiet expletive rushed from his lips, and he turned toward the restaurant, scowling at the ‘No Slaves’ sign.
“Someone will have to be sent for luggage,” he conceded with a growl. “Follow.”
“I’m sorry, Mistr Viktor,” Sasha said, planting his feet. “I cannot leave without permission from Pan Evžen.”
The Lidikrys growled at the Faro. Sasha was well within his limits as a slave — his master had given him a standing order. Viktor was a Lidikrys, and would always be superior to Sasha. But he was still just a servant, who could not supersede Evžen’s orders.
They were at a stalemate until Evžen arrived.

I saw something about how pangolins always look nervous, and I had to use that. Thus, the Supinat species was created.
Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

20 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Interesting punishment 🤔 

A near death experience can be rather frightening. Even if you weren't exactly near death.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..