Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 510 Words
  • 1,172 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stories - 1. The Death of Love

Death is stalking someone. But he might have to resort to unusual methods to take them

Since I can remember, I have been in danger. It started when I survived a baby rattlesnake curling up in my crib as a baby. How it got there, no one could figure out. My parents freaked out, the snake was removed, and that was that.

My next brush with death was when I was three years old, in our family pool. Learn to swim early, my mother said. Apparently learning to swim meant learning not to swallow half the pool water. I was saved by a quick neighbour from that death.

Things only got worse from there. A car crash when I was five, a tornado destroying our house days later; someone wanted me dead. And I was too young to realize it at the time.

The stress of keeping me alive wore at my parents, and they separated when I was nine. Coincidentally, that’s the same year I made a new friend, Spencer. He, at least, was not afraid to play rough with me, the danger girl. We wrestled, hunted black widows in the yard, dangerous things like that. He almost seemed to encourage my recklessness.

And when we turned twelve and certain strange urges awoke in us, it was Spencer who asked me to be his girlfriend.

He became almost gentle with me. Disaster still struck, almost daily, but through it all, Spencer stood with me.

And now here we stood, fourteen years old, Spencer sharing his “darkest secret” with me in the shelter of our treehouse.

“You are Death. Right...” I laughed. “So, what, are you here to kill me?”

“I was,” Spencer said. “But it wasn’t working. So, here I am. Asking you this time. I want you to be mine, to be with me forever.”

This was ridiculous. I had known Spencer forever. If he was Death, he could have killed me a hundred times over.

“Not even a werewolf or a vampire. Just plain Death.”

I was not impressed.

“I can be both, for you.”

Fur suddenly sprouted from Spencer’s body, drawing a surprised yelp from me. Fangs dropped from his mouth, wicked sharp and gleaming.

“Holy fuck! You’re serious!”

The wolf vampire Spencer smirked.

“You could say I am… deadly serious.”

Despite the clear danger, I had to roll my eyes. That was classic Spencer.

“There is not much I can offer you. You would be the Queen of Death, wandering the world, reaping souls with me. You would be immortal, but first, you will have to die. I can’t promise will be painless, but I can promise to be by your side, forever.”

“Reaping souls? Do I get a scythe and all that?”

Death grinned, the same smile I had grown to love seeing all these years.

“If you wish. Personally, I prefer a flaming longsword.”

The blade materialized as he said the words, and it was indeed flaming.

“That is so cool…”

A werewolf Death wielding a flaming longsword? It was beyond cool, and in typical fourteen year old fashion, I had made my decision.

“I’ll do it.”

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

For some reason this odd little story really tickled me! I loved the narrator's almost flippant attitude toward the disasters in her life. And Death's falling in love with his victim made me wonder if the near misses in the narrator's life were Death pulling his punches. Very clever, and you packed a lot of story into 500+ words! Thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Well, this one is definitely an odd cup of tea, but fascinating. I'm wondering where you will take it from here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

Well, this one is definitely an odd cup of tea, but fascinating. I'm wondering where you will take it from here.

 This was a short story written from a prompt. Maybe I'll continue it some day, but it will be a while before that happens.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..