European Muslim women now restoring their hymens through surgery

Demetz

"In my culture, not to be a virgin is to be dirt," said the student, perched on a hospital bed as she awaited surgery Thursday. "Right now, virginity is more important to me than life."

As Europe's Muslim population grows, many young Muslim women find themselves caught between the freedoms that European society affords and the deep-rooted traditions of their parents' and grandparents' generations.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/10/europe/virgin.php

Okay, so apparently this has caused quite a stir in France. There's the secular old guard which insists that these should not be necessary or allowed at all because they already had their sexual revolution and this is a step backward....

But here's where I'm torn on this. I agree that it shouldn't be necessary or required at all, but in a sense, this is going to actually help liberalize muslims. Once it becomes a widespread practice there will no longer be any way to know whether the woman is actually a virgin and there will no longer be the ability to place such emphasis on this. To that end, I'm actually in support of the surgeries as a way to combat the religious insanities brought forth by assbackward "culture"

Well, I happen to think women should not have to feel the need to do that. However, I can see why a woman might want to do so if she wants to simulate her husband "devirginizing" her. Most women have sex before marriage, so I can see why a woman might want to give her husband such an experience. It could be special.

However, in the case of religious pressure, that is just awful. The women probably live in fear that they will be mistreated by their husbands for not being a virgin. I think that mindset is totally unhealthy. :ph34r:

What's really twisted, and something I've often read about, is when women get sown back up tighter for their husbands :thumbdown:

I think people should do whatever it is they decide they want/need to do as long as it doesn't adversely impact anyone else. As such if that's how they wanna roll then good for them. Personally I'm against the idea, but it isn't really any of my business.

The whole concept of 'virginity' as evidenced by the hymen is a little shaky anyway. Some women's break on their own through other activities (activities not necessarily sexual either). On the other hand, some women's are less inclined to break and can do things you wouldn't expect and remain 'in tact'. So really the whole notion is stupid and unfair in my personal opinion. But of course they don't consult me on these things B)

-Kevin