2009 GA GetTogether

Trebs

2009 Potential Attendees  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go no matter when or where?

• Yes - I'd certainly try
    • No - only if convienent
  2. 2. Choose ALL of the options that you feel you might be able to attend:

• New York City, Jan 23-25
    • Philadelphia, Jan 23-25
    • Washington DC, Jan 23-25
    • Anaheim (Disneyland), July 3-5
    • New York City, Sept 4-6
    • Philadelphia, Sept 4-6
    • Orlando, Sept 4-6
    • Chicago, Sept 4-6
    • New York City, Dec 4-6
    • Philadelphia, Dec 4-6
    • Orlando, Dec 4-6
    • Chicago, Dec 4-6
  3. 3. If Trebs and Dkstories CAN'T make it, can you help organize (depending on location):

• Yes - I'm game
    • No - sorry, I can't

Ok - well, Dallas was a great time - and in trying to keep this "annual" event going, I'm starting the above set of three polls. PLEASE take a moment to vote - and if you have other suggestions, post away or send me a PM. This is especially true if you are thinking and able to organize something on your own.

Realize - so far, though they have been very fun, there hasn't been that much attendance at the two GetTogethers. The first one in San Francisco had twelve attendees, and this one in Dallas had eleven different people (though we ended up only having nine for dinner). The dates above might not be totally optimal for people, but they are mainly based on dates where I think Dan and I could attend. BUT THIS is not a requirement - in fact, if you have an idea for a different location/set of dates AND have the ability to take the lead in organizing - PLEASE CONSIDER DOING SO! Best thing if this describes you is send me a PM, and we can chat through what organizing a GetTogether can entail...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Almost none of the options are good. Mostly because the weather will either be miserably hot or brutally cold. The least objectionable choice to me was Orlando in December because usually the weather is tolerable. I'm also concerned that the lack of any dates in the summer will likely preclude our college-aged members from attending. They deserve to be as much a part of these conventions as the older folks are.

If I had my way the convention would be held in NYC in early or late summer and I'd be willing to help coordinate it.

I picked all of the NYC/Philly/DC dates, but do realize that these dates fall at the very beginning or very end of the semester, so only Friday-Sunday would be available, provided I don't have a lot of work to do (Mechanical Engineering/Applied Physics double major).

It's packed - almost impossible to move 10 feet in less than a minute - the lines for rides are impossible, even with FastPasses...

BUT

As the 4th is also a Saturday, park hours typically go until 2AM - and if you have the stamina, being in the park from midnight to 2 AM is fantastic as all of the kids are gone. Walk-ons for Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc...

Somehow the thought of being at "The Happiest Place on Earth" on July 4th is not very appealing.

Somehow the thought of being at "The Happiest Place on Earth" on July 4th is not very appealing.

Disneyland is not even close to what it used to be. I don't understand why people still go there.

Disneyland is not even close to what it used to be. I don't understand why people still go there.

I went there once and I lived in Boca Raton for the first 9.5 years of my life lol.

I went there once and I lived in Boca Raton for the first 9.5 years of my life lol.

Robbie, you're referring to Disneyworld, not Disneyland. There is a huge difference between the two. :)

I'll have to contest your choice of dates.

New York City, Jan 23-25

Philadelphia, Jan 23-25

Washington DC, Jan 23-25

Just when we get back to school after New Year. I may be a French major, but I get really busy and running by late January and September. During my peak, I would have to do three-four papers and projects per week.

New York City, Sept 4-6

Philadelphia, Sept 4-6

Orlando, Sept 4-6

Chicago, Sept 4-6

Again just around when we have our first week of school!

New York City, Dec 4-6

Philadelphia, Dec 4-6

Orlando, Dec 4-6

Chicago, Dec 4-6

During our exams before leaving out for Xmas.

I can't pick any of these polls options because I am unable to do so.

Can't you put in more summer dates? I feel one summer date for one place on the wrong side of the country is a poor choice. Plus, I am not interested following and dealing with two lovebirds on a honeymoon. I'll be just too cold-hearted at displays of affections. ESPECIALLY IN DISNEYWORLD. I swore my life that I will never ever go back there. Twice during my childhood was enough.

Many of us are students you know. :s

Ugh. Almost none of the options are good. Mostly because the weather will either be miserably hot or brutally cold. The least objectionable choice to me was Orlando in December because usually the weather is tolerable. I'm also concerned that the lack of any dates in the summer will likely preclude our college-aged members from attending. They deserve to be as much a part of these conventions as the older folks are.

If I had my way the convention would be held in NYC in early or late summer and I'd be willing to help coordinate it.

It doesn't get miserably hot in the North during September or miserably cold during December. DC is not miserably cold in January.

Every set of dates above run Fri through Sun... Errr - or at least they should...

You obviously forgot what it's like to be a college student. :P

But he lives in New Jersey and can't be expected to know anything anyway.

I love you. :wub:

:funny::funny: :funny: :funny:

Edited by Jack Frost

(Trebs @ June 19 2008, 08:32 PM) *

Every set of dates above run Fri through Sun... Errr - or at least they should...

You obviously forgot what it's like to be a college student. :P

Naw - I remember... and weekends during the first month of each term were typically when parties went on all over campus... :P

Naw - I remember... and weekends during the first month of each term were typically when parties went on all over campus... :P

We do that every weekend in Montreal of the year. It has the best nightlife in the whole country. :rolleyes::P

Edited by Jack Frost

Frosty, you've clearly never been to DC in January. I have. It can be bitterly cold. It can also be somewhat mild. I don't want to risk the bitterly cold part.

Ideally a central location near the start or end of summer seems like the best bet for a bigger turnout.

Also, I don't care how dedicated DK and Trebs are to GA. They should not share their honeymoon with anyone. It's too special an event to share with anyone. :)

Gary it hasn't been that cold in dc for awhile, mostly it;s in the 40's or 30's not bad.

But I can see that's not a great time to be in dc.

Edited by Drewbie

Gary it hasn't been that cold in dc for awhile, mostly it;s in the 40's or 30's not bad.

But I can see that's not a great time to be in dc.

Dude, that's bitterly cold to a Florida boy. Down here we start looking for snow when the temperature drops below 70

30-40s?

K, staying in California.

Ironically enough, the only time I almost certainly can't attend is the one event that is going to be maybe 20 miles from my front door. Getting time off around the fourth for me is like pulling teeth, where the teeth are armed and have studied ranger tactics.

It's packed - almost impossible to move 10 feet in less than a minute - the lines for rides are impossible, even with FastPasses...

BUT

As the 4th is also a Saturday, park hours typically go until 2AM - and if you have the stamina, being in the park from midnight to 2 AM is fantastic as all of the kids are gone. Walk-ons for Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc...

Also, I don't care how dedicated DK and Trebs are to GA. They should not share their honeymoon with anyone. It's too special an event to share with anyone. :)

um gary :unsure: they are already going to be spending it with upwards of 80,000 people

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow :snowy: Dog

um gary :unsure: they are already going to be spending it with upwards of 80,000 people

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow :snowy: Dog

I know, and I think it's nutz. But if that's what they want then go ahead and do it. I just don't want to be part of it. There's a difference between spending it with 80,000 strangers and 80,000 strangers plus a bunch of us weirdos from GA! LOL