Windows 7

Emulated

BTW - The iso file I got was corrupted and failed half way through the installation so now... i'm having to reinstall EVERYTHING...

Damn. Talk about bad luck. :( I hope you had a recent backup to restore from...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Talk about bad luck. :( I hope you had a recent backup to restore from...

Well good news is that I did this all on my laptop and everything that's on the laptop was on my desktop so while I (for reasons I don't even understand... I think I was possesed :wacko: ) I did a system reinstall with the manufactures disks soooooooo....

I'm back to running Vista on my laptop.... I think i'm gonna try win7 using vmware... instead of using the laptop as a dummy

Edit to add: Yup. I'm going round 2 with win7 and so far so good... I re downloaded the iso and checked it and it wasn't corrupt this time (woohoo!). I'm currently installing win7 on my laptop (cus that's the only computer that I have that can handle it) and I'll let you know in my blog how it all went :)

I am running on VMWare with 512MB.

I think I will bump up the memory a bit to see if it runs a bit faster.

Added FireFox 3.1 Beta and it runs.

Its a blank system so you wind up adding things and see how it goes.

so in a way you're a tester for MS.

Well... that is what betapeople are supposed to do :P

I'm currently running vista basic... mostly because i didn't see the point in forking over extra cash and i'm rather glad i didn't. I haven't been blue screened in my memory of working with microsoft OSes but i've repeatedly had vista lock up completely and force a restart which is incredibly annoying. Its also mind boggling how inefficient it seems to be at using my core 2 duo processor.

I'll give windows 7 a run when my warranty runs out in another couple years when they've hopefully worked through any kinks in that OS... im pretty sure it violates my warranty if i load a beta-os onto the computer and i don't want to deal with that crap.

On the other hand... wiping my drive is becoming appealing since i don't even recognize most the crap on here anymore.

I have Windows 7 completely installed on my laptop and I have to say it is INCREDIBLE! I never thought I would say that about a Microsoft system before, but so far it's outperforming vista by leaps and bounds.

FINALLY! Microsoft did something right!

BUT the only downside is that my touchpad on my laptop... the scroll button doesn't work *sigh* oh well... maybe they'll fix that soon :)

I have Windows 7 completely installed on my laptop and I have to say it is INCREDIBLE! I never thought I would say that about a Microsoft system before, but so far it's outperforming vista by leaps and bounds.

BUT the only downside is that my touchpad on my laptop... the scroll button doesn't work *sigh* oh well... maybe they'll fix that soon :)

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. :) I've been using it as my primary OS for the past couple of days and it's still impressing me.

Out of curiosity, have you checked Windows update? I only ask because I had the same problem with my touchpad, however there was an update available which fixed it.

Yea... but there wasn't one for me yet :(

I agree... this is not only the first beta program that I've been this highly impressed with, but the first beta operating system that I've actually been thinking about using as a full-fledged os until august where I hope I can use it even more :)

I used to hate M$ but this os made me rethink my stance with them. They honestly did something right for once. I'm highly impressed with it and well, speaking as a linux user, that's saying something!

I think that Win7 is gonna be the first legal operating system that I will buy, provided they keep doing well with it and don't turn it into another vista type system.

Eric :D

Yea... but there wasn't one for me yet :(

I agree... this is not only the first beta program that I've been this highly impressed with, but the first beta operating system that I've actually been thinking about using as a full-fledged os until august where I hope I can use it even more :)

I used to hate M$ but this os made me rethink my stance with them. They honestly did something right for once. I'm highly impressed with it and well, speaking as a linux user, that's saying something!

I think that Win7 is gonna be the first legal operating system that I will buy, provided they keep doing well with it and don't turn it into another vista type system.

Eric :D

I'm not going to say anything... I still think someone from Microsoft has hacked Eric's account. :unsure:

:P

I'm not going to say anything... I still think someone from Microsoft has hacked Eric's account. :unsure:

:P

Funny. I know where your coming from though, after dealing with the mishaps of vista, I completely turned my back on the whole MS machine. If I ever needed to use a windows system, I would either use win2k or, if absolutely necessary, winxp.

I'm also the type of guy whos always willing to give new technology a chance and when I heard about win7 being beta released to the GENERAL PUBLIC I had to google the release and check different websites to make sure I was reading it right.

Seeing as how that info was correct, and being suprred to action by the GA thread, I decided to give it a try and use my laptop (Acer 5100, 2gig ram, 150gig HD, 1.6ghz dual core x64 processer) and when I installed it BAM. I feel in love with it.

So i'm off... time to trudge through the snow and head to work.

I never get a new Windows OS before it's at least a year or two old on the market(as in being sold, not beta testings). I prefer my computer without all the major security risks that Microsoft don't fix until regular people finds them. Tbh, a one year old Windows OS is like a beta imo.

I'm glad to hear it's stable though... And fast. I have Vista on my laptop and I like it. It's way to high maintenance on the hardware though. An OS shouldn't be that... Draining. So good on Microsoft if they managed to make a proper OS. I'll be getting it in a few years.

Out of curiosity, what linux distro are you using?

My 2 cents on Linux --

When Vista hit the streets I went looking into Linux and ended up installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop unit and fell in love with it. Then installed it on my laptop. Have since updated both systems to 8.10 and added Kubuntu (KDE4.1)to my laptop.

I still have XP on both system using it only to run Quicken. Last week I at last found "moneydance" which I have already moved my finances to. So at this point I am 100% Linux and have given Bill Gates the well used finger!!

Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are awesome OS's but Kubuntu is my Fav!!!

My 2 cents on Linux --

When Vista hit the streets I went looking into Linux and ended up installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop unit and fell in love with it. Then installed it on my laptop. Have since updated both systems to 8.10 and added Kubuntu (KDE4.1)to my laptop.

I still have XP on both system using it only to run Quicken. Last week I at last found "moneydance" which I have already moved my finances to. So at this point I am 100% Linux and have given Bill Gates the well used finger!!

Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are awesome OS's but Kubuntu is my Fav!!!

I agree... I've tested Linux systems before lets see.... the ubuntu family, Fedora 9 and 10, openSUSE, Mandriva, mandrake (before it became mandriva), puppy linux, DSL, and the like.

Looking back on it now I love it as a server because it provides a more stable enviroment then the windows server family.

Also for legacy systems I perfer linux to windows because of the fact windows uses more system resources and put higer demands on the hardware then linux does. Linux is pretty much built around the idea to not hog system resources as much as windows.

Even with my new love with windows 7, I'm still planning on taking my desktop PC and converting it to a linux machine again, but which distro, i'm not sure I'm gonna look at the reviews and see which would be best.

Also. Puppy linux I LOVE as well because of the fact I can customize it and use it as a troubleshooting OS and fix computers using it.

Phantom :ph34r:

I agree... I've tested Linux systems before lets see.... the ubuntu family, Fedora 9 and 10, openSUSE, Mandriva, mandrake (before it became mandriva), puppy linux, DSL, and the like.

Looking back on it now I love it as a server because it provides a more stable enviroment then the windows server family.

Also for legacy systems I perfer linux to windows because of the fact windows uses more system resources and put higer demands on the hardware then linux does. Linux is pretty much built around the idea to not hog system resources as much as windows.

Even with my new love with windows 7, I'm still planning on taking my desktop PC and converting it to a linux machine again, but which distro, i'm not sure I'm gonna look at the reviews and see which would be best.

Also. Puppy linux I LOVE as well because of the fact I can customize it and use it as a troubleshooting OS and fix computers using it.

Phantom :ph34r:

Ubuntu has turned into a VERY mature product family with an excellent forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

My greatest attraction to Linux has been the cost: you just can't beat FREE!! My only 'out of pocket' cost was the MoneyDance software and at $40 bucks - it's still a bargain.

Top 10 distribution distros: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major (ubuntu is in first place)

I've tried various distro's of Linux but I just can't 'get into it'. It's not because of app compatibility either as the main three I use are Firefox, OpenOffice, and VLC - which all work on Linux.

Maybe I've just become too used to working with and against Windows, but I don't see me jumping ship anytime soon.

• 2 months later...

Not a chance, made that mistake with Vista, & has taken me a while to get everything working as I want it. Will wait a while down the road I think, 'til they at least bring out the first service pack to solve major issues! ;) .

Also want to see how compatible it is with Vista ready software & my hardware before changing OS yet again.

Mmmm, I have just formatted the drive I had XP running on, just running Vista now. So may put it on the 2nd drive to see how it is. At least if anything goes wrong it it won't touch my saved work. Will let you know.

:lol: Yeah. But Windows 7 Beta is no longer available for download, so back to original plan.

They're still giving away licence keys, so if you can get hold of the disk or burn the iso, then you can input a new key belonging to you.

Either way, they should be releasing the release candidate soon, and that's going public too.

Microsoft