Windows 7

Emulated

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Bill & Melinda Gates' house when he has to call in to customer software support because his former company's software won't install on his system without major assistance... :lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: :angry::(

I tried to get Windows 7 Beta and got the answer : "We're sorry, Windows 7 Beta downloads are no longer available.".

Once again a trick to deceive the customers ?

The download isn't available but the licence keys are. If you can get hold of the disc or the .iso, then you're set.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Bill & Melinda Gates' house when he has to call in to customer software support because his former company's software won't install on his system without major assistance... :lol:

Hehehe, no chance.

He uses a Mac. Running Linux.

Do you realized the war of the operating systems is on the same processors and pretty much the same architecture?

There's no innovation to the next generation processor for quite sometime.

But still Windows is rugged on mean shutdowns.

I remember corrupting SUSE 7.

I won't pretend I'm not out of my depth in conversations like this, but I will say that I can't stand Vista and it seems like any update is worth trying just to get away from it!

I didn't think XP was bad at all actually. In fact XP and Windows 98 are by far my favourites in Microsoft's line up of operating systems. They definitely aren't/weren't perfect by any means, but compared to ME or Vista for example I think they're stellar.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Yeah, I agree with Kevin in that XP was one of the easier OS's to use & most stable. Win '98 however was the biggest pile of crap, even worse than Vista, though an improvement on Win 95. I had no end of problems with it. ,

That said, my Vista OS seems to be working perfectly. Ok, admittedly it took a year & a hundred updates to get it that way, but it runs very smoothly, so much so I have now deleted XP from my second drive.

What worries me with any new OS is the unpredictability of it. I work in IT & I know at some point in the next month I am going to have to have a good look at Win 7. I just hope it's not another OTT exercise like Vista, trying to cram so much in that the whole thing goes tits up.

Edited by Sir_Galahad

They're still giving away licence keys, so if you can get hold of the disk or burn the iso, then you can input a new key belonging to you.

Either way, they should be releasing the release candidate soon, and that's going public too.

He turns, runs, and cowers in fear! :lol:

of course i run and hide

A long time ago i found this...

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

--For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

--Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

--Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

--Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

--Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

--The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This ---Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

--The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

--Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

--Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

--You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off

of course i run and hide

A long time ago i found this...

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

--For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

--Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

--Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

--Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

--Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

--The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This ---Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

--The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

--Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

--Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

--You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off

Oh my gosh I love these! I'd never heard them before but they're hilarious! I especially like the one I bolded :lol:

That's a big pet peeve of mine with Windows. "Yes, I'm frickin sure! I wouldn't have clicked the damn button if I weren't serious!"

That's why I never downgraded to Vista.

haha, amen to that. :lmao: That has to be the most annoying thing about Vista, I'm just surprised I got to the end of this post without it asking me if it was ok to continue!

haha, amen to that. :lmao: That has to be the most annoying thing about Vista, I'm just surprised I got to the end of this post without it asking me if it was ok to continue!

hahahahaha so true Vista is one of the most evil things in the world, hahahaa

<looks around to make sure the room is empty> To be honest, Vista as it is now, is way better than XP! Apart from that annoying continue thing. They have tweaked it a hell of a lot, & mine certainly runs a lot smoother & quicker than XP ever did.

If your hardware is pretty new, then you should have no probs with Vista, as most drivers now have the proper updates.

<looks around to make sure the room is empty> To be honest, Vista as it is now, is way better than XP! Apart from that annoying continue thing. They have tweaked it a hell of a lot, & mine certainly runs a lot smoother & quicker than XP ever did.

If your hardware is pretty new, then you should have no probs with Vista, as most drivers now have the proper updates.

I HEARD THAT! :lol:

Damn, just when I thought it was safe! :ph34r:

It's NEVER safe to use those words!

But in all seriousness, I've heard people make similar comments about Vista. They all say that while it had it's many teething problems, it's shaped up to be quite an OS. I've never used it since it's release so I can't comment on that.

Now Windows 7, that's an OS to be proud of! In fact, it's the only thing that's making me hesitate buying a Mac as my next computer.

-------------

I should also mention here that I haven't used Win 7 since January, the reason being that I keep getting a BSOD (AFriendly is scratching his head). It only started to happen after Win Update installed a driver for my card reader. I've tinkered with it but no luck. So now I'm back to XP. :P With a 15GB Win 7 partition sitting there looking pretty.

I haven't tried Win7 yet. I usually wait until after the roll-out of the new OS, usually about a year, before upgrading.

This is from years of experience with Windows 3, Windows 95, etc. etc. I'm currently using Vista and have to say that despite all the little nagging things, I like it a lot. Win7 will be at least a year or two before I try it. Let's give MS some time to fix things. :)

Now Windows 7, that's an OS to be proud of! In fact, it's the only thing that's making me hesitate buying a Mac as my next computer.

-------------

I should also mention here that I haven't used Win 7 since January, the reason being that I keep getting a BSOD (AFriendly is scratching his head). It only started to happen after Win Update installed a driver for my card reader. I've tinkered with it but no luck. So now I'm back to XP. :P With a 15GB Win 7 partition sitting there looking pretty.

Not having even looked at it yet, I couldn't offer a opinion. But as I recall a similar thing happened with Vista beta. I take it Win 7 is not booting at all? Did you set a restore point?

I haven't tried Win7 yet. I usually wait until after the roll-out of the new OS, usually about a year, before upgrading.

This is from years of experience with Windows 3, Windows 95, etc. etc. I'm currently using Vista and have to say that despite all the little nagging things, I like it a lot. Win7 will be at least a year or two before I try it. Let's give MS some time to fix things. :)

I'm with you on this one. Made that mistake with Vista & installed when just released. Was totally awful. Because of my job I have to take a look at Win 7, sometime next week I think. But as for home use, will wait & see how it performs over the next few months to a year. Doesn't look promising with the BSOD though.

Edited by Sir_Galahad

The download isn't available but the licence keys are. If you can get hold of the disc or the .iso, then you're set.

Thanks for the tip !

If you can get hold of the disc or the .iso...

Has anybody an idea how I could get it ?

I haven't any local contact here around be from whom I could get it.

BTW, it is really worth to try it ??

Thanks in advance for your opinion :worship: .

Thanks for the tip !

Thanks in advance for your opinion :worship: .

Well, I get my hands on a real copy of it next week, as I work in IT. But it won't be the version that goes on sale, it's merely a version up from beta. As a general rule I would leave it for at least 6 months after release so all the kinks can be ironed out & updates made available. It does sound like the beta version has issues though, which doesn't bode well!

Not having even looked at it yet, I couldn't offer a opinion. But as I recall a similar thing happened with Vista beta. I take it Win 7 is not booting at all? Did you set a restore point?

It boots fine and runs great, but at any given moment, regardless of what I was doing, it displays the BSOD. Not the best thing to happen when typing up a chapter, I can tell you.

System restore seemed to be disabled (possibly because the partition was too small?), so I can't roll back. It doesn't really matter though as I'm going to wait for the Release Candidate which should be released in May, according to MS.

I'm with you on this one. Made that mistake with Vista & installed when just released. Was totally awful. Because of my job I have to take a look at Win 7, sometime next week I think. But as for home use, will wait & see how it performs over the next few months to a year. Doesn't look promising with the BSOD though.

Before I installed the driver it was working fine, so it was likely a conflict with my hardware. (Hopefully something they will fix) But with my problem aside, many people haven't had a single problem with it. Leo Laporte (twit.tv) says it's good to ship. Now.

Thanks for the tip !

Thanks in advance for your opinion worshippy.gif .

Some tech site did say that you could torrent the file, but make sure that you use a legitimate license key from Microsoft. However I'm not certain about the exact legality of doing this so I can't recommend it.

Well, I get my hands on a real copy of it next week, as I work in IT. But it won't be the version that goes on sale, it's merely a version up from beta. As a general rule I would leave it for at least 6 months after release so all the kinks can be ironed out & updates made available. It does sound like the beta version has issues though, which doesn't bode well!

Would that be the 7068 build? I believe it's the latest one.

No, Windows 7 Build 7070.

Tasty! :P Be sure to tell us what you think! But If I was you, I'd try to snag a copy as soon as possible, it's worth a good test drive, that's for sure.

Tasty! :P Be sure to tell us what you think! But If I was you, I'd try to snag a copy as soon as possible, it's worth a good test drive, that's for sure.

Well, I can do that on the PC at work without compromising my own! :D Yeah, I will give an update on how it runs, will be putting it through the mill just to see what happens.

Honestly, there hasn't been a good Windows OS since 2000. XP sucked and Vista sucked more. The only one that sucked more than XP and Vista was ME. I'm not talking out of my ass here, I have had them all. The only reason I'm no longer using 2000 is because of my 64-bit processors and 4 GB memory in my computers. 2000 couldn't take full advantage of them. I have XP x64 on my desktop and Vista x64 on my new laptop. My old laptop has 7 x86 Beta. Of the three, Vista is more compatible than XP with my hardware and software (far more, even). 7 on the other hand is far more stable and just as compatible. I have yet to come across any hardware or software it doesn't take full advantage of. I will wait approx. 6 months to a year after the retail release of 7 x64 for the bugs to be taken care of, then I would consider getting it for both computers. I expect it won't have many, since the x86 Beta has been completely trouble-free.