DC vs. Obama?

Benji

• Site Administrator

I read this earlier. I'm not sure of the mechanics, though. It seems to me that President Obama has nothing to do with it -- it's Congress that has the right to veto the legislation, not the President.

Can anyone clarify that for me?

Moderator note: If this thread starts to become political, it will be moved to The Soapbox :)

Edited by Graeme

Graeme, why Obama is involved is written in the article.

"For this to be overturned, it'd have to pass both houses and be signed by the president, and that's highly unlikely," Frank said.

• Site Administrator
Graeme, why Obama is involved is written in the article.

Sorry, I didn't see that. I had gone off the earlier article I had read that just said Congress could overrule the district council, and not mention that it also requires Presidential approval.

Interesting article, be very fasinating to see where this goes. As usual the bible thumpers stick their nose in, but we should really expect that I suppose. I can't really see two Democrat houses overturning this, at least I hope not!

Yesterday, Pelosi has repeated that she doesn't see why the Congress should meddle in an affair. She reasoned that if the Congress cannot meddle into the affair of the states concerning the definitions and recognizations of marriages, why should the body do it any differently concerning the District?

I think it's nice a logic. I always think of DC as a state, not some territory ruled by the Congress.

The lack of support from Pelosi will make it hard to get the override to vote on the House floor.

It shows that the Congress has changed since the DOMA went through it. With a consideration of hate-crime bill, repeal of Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell, and a possible repeal of DOMA, her statement gives out hints what could lay ahead.

Naturally it could be harder to get the bill giving DC a seat in the House to pass because the anti-gay marriage could try to sneak in a language repealling the DC recognization as a condition for their support.

Bloody politics.