Twitter power

Jack Scribe

Twitter is a cutting-edge tool that has the Hollywood marketing experts flapping their jaws. TIME is suggesting that negative Twitter comments sunk Bruno...many of the huge Friday audience passed on their displeasure with blasting I.M. tweets.

To quote the opening paragraph:

In the old days like, until yesterday movie studios judged the success of their big pictures by how much they grossed on the opening weekend. But in the age of Twitter, electronic word-of-mouth is immediate, as early moviegoers tweet their opinions on a film to millions of "followers." Instant-messaging can make or break a film within 24 hours. Friday is the new weekend.

Here's the whole article:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1910059,00.html?xid=rss-arts

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a marketing earthquake and a major sea change.

Twitter is a cutting-edge tool that has the Hollywood marketing experts flapping their jaws. TIME is suggesting that negative Twitter comments sunk Bruno...many of the huge Friday audience passed on their displeasure with blasting I.M. tweets.

To quote the opening paragraph:

In the old days — like, until yesterday — movie studios judged the success of their big pictures by how much they grossed on the opening weekend. But in the age of Twitter, electronic word-of-mouth is immediate, as early moviegoers tweet their opinions on a film to millions of "followers." Instant-messaging can make or break a film within 24 hours. Friday is the new weekend.

Here's the whole article:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1910059,00.html?xid=rss-arts

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a marketing earthquake and a major sea change.

the only time I've used twitter was to follow the news coming out of iran. and I doubt I will use it again. apart from to hear it quoted in articles. there was this report written by a 15 yr old that got published in the financial times this week that is making waves on technology and teenagers. Really sometimes adults and business men need to pay more attention to their children. He summed up, as I had already discussed with my friends, that twitter is for older folk, it is not really for the young. I don't really pay attention to it, I certainly don't use it (apart from that excepted case) and only when celebrities opinions are force-fed me if I read an article that quotes on of their tweets, as they even do for politicians now. I'm cautious :) . However with Iran, twitter too broke the usual holds on the news and what dictated how things could happen. things became more instantaneous and people-led, and the better for it (not that it will be so all the time).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/13/teenage-media-habits-morgan-stanley

anywho, I thought Bruno did fairly well over here. I haven't seen it, and unsure if I want to. However the reviews range from better than Borat to it has less of an impact when you know Sacha baron-cohen is coming. H knows how to do a show though.

celia

Edited by Smarties

Very interesting article, Jack. Thanks.

I was also impressed with the15-year old's article which Smarties linked.

BTW, I am "older folk" and I do not Tweet.